The Pipe Guys

This mixture is based on the cool, smoky aroma of Cyprian Latakia with Golden Virginia and sweet Greek Oriental Basma grades.

BrandPeterson

3.2
Gun Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gun Smoke (15)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

THE most underrated English style blend on the market.

Truly a hidden gem. Old Dublin is quite similar to Dunhill's My Mixture 965, albeit not an exact match. This is a great "middle of the road" tobacco. Lights and smokes beautifully. No detectable bite. Excellent tasting with a medium amount of lady nicotine. Very smooth and never overwhelming. Easily an all day blend. The perfect transition from aromatic to English.

In fact, this is the very first English style blend that I tried when I switched from aromatics 5 years ago. Just as good today as it was then. Consistent quality.

The only draw back if you can call it that is - it will stink up a room in a heartbeat and it will stay that way for a prolonged period of time; much more so than any other English blend I have smoked ( dozens of them ). The smell, although I love it, WILL linger as stated. Not an indoor smoke. Try the porch or perhaps a room dedicated to pipe smoking.

jwne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwne (9)

Yes! This Old Dublin is a fine English mixture! The generous helping of Latakia in the tin smells like a fireplace or campfire. Novice pipe smokers may find traditional English blends a little off-putting. But in time a good latakia mixture can grow on you. Then one day you discover you can't get enough of the stuff.

Some might say I am wrong. But to me a predominant latakia mixture has similar characteristics to a quality cigar in both flavor and aroma while being smoked. The other tobaccos within the mix, be it burley, virginia, kentucky or what have you, takes the strong edge off the aroma so it becomes somewhat delicate. But a tiny cigar ghost is floating around somewhere in the mixture. The slight cigar undertones are the reason why most smokers and non-smokers alike always complain "that stinks", while other times they praise you for smoking an aromatic.

Old Dublin does a fine job balancing all the baccys in the mix. If you are thinking about venturing off and experiencing the English mixtures, Old Dublin would be a good one to start with.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

After smoking nearly the entire tin, I'm beginning to better appreciate Old Dublin. That's normal for me--there is a period of adjustment moving from predominantly smoking one blend to another. It's ideal, I suppose, to rotate tobaccos, but my problem is that when I like something, I have to see it to the end.

My initial opinion of Old Dublin was that of a boring, indistinct smoke, which I attributed to the Cavendish--a tobacco which I assumed had little unique flavor, mostly employed by blenders to stretch out a blend. But other English blends I enjoy share the same component, from Black Mallory to 965, and I can't imagine 965 lacking flavor.

I think, more accurately, the primary cause for my initial disillusionment was a perceived lack of strength...having just come off a tin of Abingdon. To be fair, I picked Old Dublin up because I liked Presbyterian Mixture very much, to somewhat of a surprise. Old Dublin appeared similar to me in its inclusion of a less common Oriental leaf--Basma, like Presbyterian's Macedonian leaf, and I was curious to compare the two.

Here the Oriental component is readily apparent, spicy, and always detectable, a wonderful contrast to overly heavy Latakia Englishes, with the bright Virginia providing a high note that avoids heaviness. After polishing the tin I would now characterize the strength at the lighter end of medium, again, along the lines of Presbyterian--the two seem to be natural peers.

The leaf moisture was drier than I expected (certainly much more than Presbyterian, which is sopping wet), which avoids wetness and translates to billowing smoke. Tin presentation is immaculate, though I criticize Peterson for ditching the very classy art work on the old tin design in favor of a simple blue, and unimaginative, graphic. In short, the presentation is all quality and shouldn't detract anyone from enjoying Old Dublin.

And now, having thought that I would probably will not pick this up again, I've changed my opinion. I will revisit Old Dublin, though truthfully, I'm not sure when.

Four of Five.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I was an aromatic smoker but I've never thought that this kind of tobacco, which doesn't smell like cherry, vanilla or fruits, can give you a divine smoking experience. A high quality tobacco with a good dose of nicotine and the Latakia gives it a cool and somewhat spicy smoke. This is a good blend to begin your first steps in the world of Latakia tobacco. Highly recommended.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (30)

Dont know if I can add to review of the blend that already hasnt been stated. However, I do want to contribute my thoughts as I believe after a cellar full of tins and blends im ready to say this is my favorite and thats something I dont say lightly. Very few blends "wow," me. This one did so much I gave a small chuckle and pulled the pipe from my lips and stared at it for a moment trying to wrap my mind around that surprising flavour. I own several peterson blends with irish oak being my favorite and for the most part Peterson blends have been good but average. I bought a Peterson dublin castle 221 and decided to break it in and devote the pipe just to this blend. As of right now I will say this is my current favorite and if forced to smoke one all my life its Old Dublin. Lately ive leaned towards English blends and this one is a step away from the norm. What a surprise and unique offering from Peterson. I assume its the oriental that is giving it that sweet unique flavor. I highly recommend it for those who want to try an English blend and for those wishing to try something with a sweet delicious unique flavour after the great sam gawith and dunhill english standards.

Pipe Used: Peterson dublin castle 221

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin no air dry

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Great middle of the road English tobacco. Perfect amount of each component in the mix. Old Dublin is not an Lat bomb but it's definitely there to give it that nicely smokiness of Cyprus latakia. The blend is quite sweet and its really smooth. Old Dublin seams to be really consistent in the quality of the tobacco I have gone through several tins and the only drawback I have noticed is that the tobacco Is quite moist in the tin. So it requires some drying time before smoking. This is my main go to blend when I'm in the mode for some English

Pipe Used: Pipes with slightly larger bowl´s

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm into the last few bowls of a tin of Peterson's Old Dublin. This is w/ the "new"blue label. I enjoy a variety of tobaccos; aromatics, codger burleys & Latakia blends. My experience w/Latakia so far been limited to Old Dublin, MacBaren's HH Vintage Syrian & Crown Achievement. The CA (aka Scottish Tweed, Fox & Hounds) has been purchased by me or gifted from pipe shops or other pipers & is the yardstick for me to compare other "English" blends to; not because of quality or preference but rather quantity. Old Dublin is a smooth, flavorful smoke. The smokiness I associate w/ Latakia was a pleasant incense like aroma w/ a hint of campfire. Not at all like the harshness which has made me give up on CA. There is a bit of creaminess & a nice sweetness which I assume is the Cavendish & Virginia tobaccos. I would say this is a balanced smoke w/ no unpleasant surprises. It gives a nice smooth smoke from the top to the bottom of the bowl. The overall aroma ("outside note" as opposed to "room note") was nice. Unlike other Latakia blends my wife didn't get on her ear about the aroma when I was with her on the patio. Again, I assume the Cavendish is peeking in. The quality of the packaging & the product were both good. Straight out of a freshly opened tin the tobacco was a bit wet; drying out improved the smoke. After drying the tobacco smoked down to a clean ash. The tobacco packs easily & didn't mind if I puffed a bit too hard. Compared to Crown Achievement this seems to be of better quality leaf & a more balanced recipe. Overall I like this tobacco & will buy it again. Smooth, good flavor & an aroma that doesn't have my neighbors wondering if they should call the fire department. As others have commented it probably is a good starting point for those looking at trying a Latakia blend.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

i just purchased my first old dublin yesterday.i think its great burns slow and cool and tastes good.a friend of mine adviced me to get this as an introduction to english blend with latakia and it paid off.so i ordered a few more online!

JackinJapan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackinJapan (12)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A good middle of the road English Tobacco. Opening the tin reveals high quality ready to smoke tobacco with no stems to be found. The moisture content seemed fine even at first but I found it is easier to light as you progress through a tin so maybe a little drying right at the start, while not necessary, might not hurt.

The aroma of the tobacco itself is smokey with nutty overtones and is quite pleasant.

I found this to smoke cool and evenly to the end with no bite at all. Good smokey latakia taste but without the pine overtones or sour tang that I find in MM965. Nothing too distinctive but also nothing to offend or to have to get used to.

This tobacco has currently become my "go to" tobacco when I want something a bit stronger in nicotine and with no bite, generally towards the end of the day. The fact that the taste is not overly strong or fancy makes for a nice relaxing, non- distracting smoke.

------------------

Bottom Line: A good solid English Blend; pleasant smokey flavor but without the sour tang seen in My Mixture 965, nothing exciting and so perfect for the times when you are not looking for exciting

hdfarley3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hdfarley3 (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Old Dublin packs easy, burns well, and smokes cool. This reminds me of Presbyterian Mixture, which I also like. If you like Latakia and Oriental than this is for you. This would go well with Laphroaig Scotch.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Excellent light to medium blend. Sweet and cool all the way down. Mid bowl, when sipped, the Virginias really come out, with a nice spiciness on the retrohale. Taste develops a bit more through the bowl, with the Orientals coming through. 3+.

Pipe Used: Italian Basket 35+ years old.

Age When Smoked: B&M shelf placement date of MAY 2012 noted on tin

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (61)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Tasty, somewhat sour, stronger than erinmore balkan and getting near to Nightcap. Good latakia inside. Ready to be smoked, good stuff. I will buy it again.

Similar Blends: nightcap.

Yklam1002 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yklam1002 (3)

Second Tobacco i've smoked from a pipe, first was a straight virginia, which was way too weak for me as a long time cigarette smoker. Thought i'll try an English blend and i really enjoy it. the strength of this blend is very close to a cigarette but with much more pleasant taste~ everything was just right, smooth, long lasting, ,burns cool and i can see myself smoking this as a all day smoke. I would highly recommend this to those who are trying or wanting to switch from cigarette smoking to pipe smoking. although we dont inhale pipes (i find myself do sometimes...) this will still have the enough nicotine to support the crave. its also the first time which my non-smoker partner actually "dont mind too much" sitting beside me, and the smell of the bowl after its finished is somewhat nice... (sometime i really hate the burnt tobacco smell leaking everywhere after the bowl is finished...). overall, a great smoke.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (37)

This is a very good English blend. The VA's form a nice sweet foundation but one that is more felt than tasted. Lat. is good and smokey but at a percentage that does not overpower the Orientals. the Oriental's have a sweet floralness about them and really shine in this blend. They stand out more than the average English a very well done blend. However, it will bite and it does not have me just wanting another bowl. This is certainly someones go to blend but for me it is just another very good blend among the many other English's that are out there. It is worth revisiting in the future but for now there is no need to buy enough to get the discounted rate.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Old Dublin always holds my interest. I find it to be complex but still smooth. I agree with the Night Cap comparisons but with slightly less nicotine and a sharper edge.

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (15)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have not smoked a ton of different English blends but this is one of my favorites.

English blends I have smoked:

Billy Budd, Epiphany, Early Morning Pipe, Frog Morton's Cellar, Nosferatu (local blend in Denver)

Old Dublin is smooth, has a mildly sweet aroma (that you can't really taste), is a bit nutty, and is over all very satisfying to my taste.

It isn't as strong as Billy Budd, it has a bit more flavor than EMP and isn't as harsh as Epiphany, and you can't really taste any added flavor like with Frog Morton's Cellar.

The cut isn't as fine as EMP -- which is about the only thing that I think would improve it.

EDIT: I got it in a sampler pack so it was a good price but buying it on its own, it would have been the most expensive tin of the lot.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (51)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A classical blend which would be called 'old London' if it was not Irish, therefore 'old Dublin' - as in Dublin when you have the choice between an 'Irish breakfast' and a continental breakfast!

Pleasent blend, well balanced, for the smoker with a taste for that bit of Latakia which makes the difference.

A try if you find it and can cover the price as most of the blends from Peterson are in the top price range. Worth it!

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Mild None Detected Medium Strong

I wasn't completely convinced by this EM, sometimes seems to get interesting, but most of the times it's straight and easy, without expectations. The golden virginia is pratically absent until you reach the end of the bowl, and the black cavendish is truly absent (but I think this is a pro); the cyprus latakia it's less smoky and more tasty than the syrian and has that classic liquirice aftertaste, the greek oriental it's probably the more interesting ingredient, and probably the reason of the sporadic presence of strange and unexpected undertones. This EM is a mild, allday, expensive and not rewarding mixture, and personally I can't give it more than 2 stars.

Type: Mild English mixture ; Contents: Golden Virginia, Cyprus Latakia, Greek Oriental, Black Cavendish ; Cut: Shag ; Humidity: Like most Peterson mix have a medium/low level of humidity, with a tendence to dry fast ; Lighting: Simple, regular burning, quick but not rush smoking ; Pipe recommended: Medium or small bowls, half bent or straight pipes recommended.

DennisBrain1921 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DennisBrain1921 (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I finally managed to find a supplier for Peterson in Australia that actually carried stock. It has been a real challenge to source imported tobaccos not distributed by Imperial Tobacco and BATA due to the recent introduction of plain packaging laws. So when my Peterson Old Dublin finally arrived I was exited to say the least. This tobacco lived up to reputation.

Upon opening I noticed immediately the peppery smoky scent of the Latakia. Just enough and not more in this blend. The orientals contribute a not too pronounced exoticism to the Virginia base. While others have noted the moisture levels in this blend, I did not encounter this as an issue of note at all. The tobacco proved very easy to light and burned consistently through the entire bowl. This is a quality cool and slow burning English blend that will satisfy. No bite whatsoever for me and especially good in a smaller pipe.

Revolted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Revolted (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Another nice full English Blend, similar, if a little inferior, to Duhnill Nightcap. A nice tobacco, for everyone who can't put their hand on the Duhnill blend.

metaltov Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metaltov (3)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Overwhelming

a fair cool smoke after lunch, no tounge bite what so ever, the latakia quite dominates and that is not a bad thing for those who like it, me personally not very fond of it. few more notes: the tin smell is teribble smells like old shoe and the tobacco comes to moist needs a bit drying before smoking

Cragganmore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cragganmore (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This seems to be the classic gateway into the world of english blends for most novice pipesmokers and/or aromatic smokers. Such is certainly the case for yours truly. I have been a bit apprehensive when considering sampling english blends as many people seem to think the room note is "cigarettish" which is an absolute no-no for me. After lighting up my first bowl of Old Dublin all my worries in that regard were laid to rest. The latakia has a distinct smell, no doubt, but I find it pleasant and not as acrid and sharp as I had feared.

The individual tastes and smells weave in and out of eachother seamlessly and keep me interested throughout the bowl. There is a floral, perfumy sweetness that sneaks up on me and makes me mentally brace for impact as I always expect it to get out of hand and turn the experience into that of smoking pot pourri. It always settles down and never turns into a dominate and overpowering taste for which I am extremely grateful. I assume this is the basma at work.

The tobacco is, as best I can tell, of high quality and provides a cool burn. Relighting was a non-issue for me, not that it really matters, and tongue bite was nonexistant despite greedily puffing away in a shortstem briar.

Well balanced and intriguing would be the best way to summarize. Highly recommended for other novices or generally english-blend-curious pipesmokers.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I have always been a fan of Peterson pipe tobacco. When I first began smoking a pipe sunset breeze was a real favorite of mine and to this day I believe it has the best room not of any tobacco I have come across.

Old Dublin is a nice blend. It does not possess a lot of "wow" factor for me but I enjoy it just the same. I would rate this as a relatively middle of the road English blend.

The use o black cavendish in this blend confuses me a little. I am not sure it is really necessary, and it may contribute a little to some tongue bite if burned too fast. Overall worth a shot, and to some aromatic folks this may be a great starting point in the English realm. Don't get me wrong, this tobacco is not cased or flavored in any way, but the black cavendish may provide a comfortable starting point for aromatic smokers.

Recommended.

Carbon cake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carbon cake (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first experience with an English blend and I must say it was a great one. This blend was such a nice change of pace from the aromatics I usually smoke. It had a very nice bold taste and was a very cool slow burning smoke. It's taste is way different then the actuall smell from the tin. It has a smoky bold but not to bold taste. I'm not to sure but I think it had some sort of flavoring on it but it cold be just a ghost in my pipe, but it did not take a way from the taste of this great tobacco. This is going to be my Friday night bar smoke. Love it.

Grizzly1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grizzly1911 (7)
Medium Mild Medium Very Strong

First Review Smelled horrible when I first opened the tin and I wondered if I had gotten a bad tin, but decided to go ahead and give it a try. Loaded it into my Cassano (which IMO has a very large bowl) and had to force my self to finish it. Cleaned my pipe and walked away unhappy, forgetting to close the tin about 2 hours came back and put it away. The next evening I decided to give it another try after dinner. Noticed it felt quite a bit drier, and this time loaded it into my meer. It was a completely different smoke! Tasted great with no bite to it, but left a pleasant tingle on my tongue. Left me feeling very relaxed and wishing I had more pipes so I could immediately start another bowl. After reading the reviews here I realized that I should have let it breathe for a while before smoking it. Have smoked a few more bowls over the last few days and like it more each time.

On the other had my wife said "it had a very strong acidic smell that reminded her of vomit"; so I have been banished to smoking this either in the garage or on the back porch.

vaporcrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaporcrow (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Great transition from aromatics to english. Old Dublin provides a subtle sweetness with a nice latikia hit. Very smooth with no bite. I keep this one in my rotation. I give it a solid 3 stars. Check out my new youtube video series called "Adventures in Pipe Smoking" My first episode features Old Dublin smoked in a Peterson churchwarden!

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Cooper blend from Low Country pipes has ruined me as far a latakia. I like that full forward latakia, bbq flavor it provides. This blend by peterson has a very light clean taste of latakia and a small just right amount of sweetness maybe from the cavendish. Smoked very cool in my churchwarden. A very nice light smoke very good!!

keisel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keisel (12)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great latakia tobacco for those who don't want just a latakia taste without something extra. I can't say if it's an english or aromtaic blend, i think it's in the middle. Burn very nice, little tongue bite if you smoke quickly. Try a pipe with big bowl, i think it's better.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is exactly what I think when I think "english blend." Just the right combination of orientals and smoky latakia. It's delicious, smoky, slightly sweet, flavorful and consistent. Delicious!

Struggling.Thinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Struggling.Thinker (7)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

The first time I smoked this, I did everything wrong. I had finished a big bowl of OJK about an hour before. I smoked this in a smaller bowl straight from a freshly opened tin. It smoked like hot air with a mere essence of Latakia.

I jarred this for about a month and came back to it with a less idiotic approach. A clean perspective and a larger bowl made all the difference. THIS is what I'm looking for in an English. I tend to prefer burley blends (e.g., American Englishes, old codger types, etc.). Therefore, I'm not looking for a "lat bomb". I just want a good, straight English blend. This is it.

For me, the proportions of the tobacco are just right. I would describe it as leathery, creamy, VERY slightly sweet. Additionally, this blend produces thick billowing clouds of creamy white smoke. I know that this shouldn't really matter, but I wish all of my tobaccos did this. There's something just really satisfying about it.

The blend burns quite cool and has never bitten me. Compared to some of the other blends that I smoke, I would say that the Nic in this is between mild and medium, being closer to mild. The only (minor) complaint that I have is that there was some gurgling. This, of course, could easily be mangaged with a quick swipe in the stem from a pipe cleaner.

Recommended as a go-to English. If I wanted to recommend an English to a first timer, it would be this.

Bruno Modigliani Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bruno Modigliani (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I totally agree with some previous reviews that emphasize the terrible smell when you first open this Peterson blend tin. It's like wet leather, after a rainy day. Maybe resembling the stink of a wet dog.

But things change completely after the tobacco is lit. The smell really brings something like cigarette's smoke. But much better, due to the latakia and some turkish oriental blends... Softness with presence. The virginia also gives a wonderful taste and smell to this Peterson blend.

Although I've never smoked cigarettes before, I quite enjoy English mixtures and this blend in particular. Old Dublin by Peterson's is definitely one of my favourites. Highly recommended!

Crazypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crazypipe (1)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Peterson's iconic blend. Best smoked on a crisp and clear winter morning when the creamy Latakia produces a fabulous smoke.

The Virginia and Latakia are blended so that they peek through at alternating times.

A good level of Lady Nic., this tobacco will satisfy a hardened cigarette smoker.

Very little tongue bite.

A staple in my rotation. Recommended.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)

An excellent tobacco. The best description I can think of is: Squadron Leader laced with a dash of University Flake. Can be smoked early in the day, also nice as a satisfying after dinner smoke. I'll definitely be working through more tins of this in the future.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

This tobacco must be smoked slowly... and carefully. It is a wild one alright. Rough enough to make a man feel tough, but not rough enough to make one cry. It has an exotic spice to it that I like very much. I agree with many other reviewers that though this blend is a must-try, it is not an every day smoke, but something one has to be in the mood for on a particular day. Nice to have on hand. Recommended.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (96)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Latakia, Dark Virginia and Oriental for a full bodied, quite strong Latakia mixture. The kind I would basically enjoy during the fall and winter seasons. There is no refinement here, coarse in taste, slow burning, this tobacco is perfect for a winter outdoor pipe. One can imagine smoking this in a pub with a pint of dark or red beer, of course, those days are gone!

FuBar343 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FuBar343 (2)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

This the first english I have tried. Its ok its not something I smoke everyday, just when Im in the mood for it, I am really still working my way up to english style tobacco's. But it is a must try for every one.

neoclassical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neoclassical (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I purchased a tin of Old Dublin which seemed to be the closest I could find to what I wanted at the moment, and close to C&D's Rajah's Court by description, and a corn cob for a test run. After a couple nights of letting a pipeful dry for a few hours the cob tests were good. Some of the smaller bits that were left over in my paper towel were really good. I really dried some of it out and rubbed/tore it up a bit and put it in my freshened dedicated English pipe, and this is one of my new favorites. Like my favorite C&D's Rajah's Court or Balkan Sasieni. It needed a briar to bring it into it's own. It's not a heavy English or lat bomb, but it satisfies my latakia desire, and the orientals are just what I wanted from them. If you haven't tried it I suggest you give it a go.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

My first real go at an english blend, and I am impressed. I get the toasted marshmallow taste and sorta like toast. Very pleasant, gives me the impression its more like a food than a tobacco, as in the smoke seems fuller and more satisfying than most others. This may just be a latakia thing, not sure. I'm becoming acquainted with english blends, and plan on getting lots of different ones, but I will definately come back to this. Recommended.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Since Squadron Leader is a blink and you miss it blend, I thought it would be a boon to find a suitable alternative, in case SG becomes a pipe dream, literally. Old Dublin is similar, in so much that it's a oriental/light English, but it's not the same...duh. I don't know if it's the Lake essence or what, but I prefer Squadron Leader in this here dogfight.

That said, Old Dublin is fine. Nothing stands out as great, however. Maybe that's the point, though...a solid performer, if a bit unremarkable, may make for a great all day smoke.(Particularly when it's readily available.) Unfortunately, i'm no Lat junkie, so I doubt I'll be OD'ing on OD any time soon.

Still, three stars from me.

Taipanmamba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taipanmamba (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great blend and I would agree it is the perfect tobacco for aromatic smokers looking to expand their horizions. Pretty dull looking tin compared to other Peterson blends. The tin aroma is not pleasant- I thought it would grow on me but it hasn't. It is strange how such an odd tin aroma can translate into such a delicious smoke. Smokes beautifully straight from the tin. Easy to pack and easy to light. Improves with just a little drying but dont let it get too dry or it can burn quite hot. The main taste I get is of salty cheese - like a nice mature stilton. The flavour this leaves in your mouth is amazing and you can taste it all day- it leaves you wanting more and that has got to be a good thing. Room note is quite cigarettish. I dont think this is the most complex blend but if you are looking for an all day smooth smoking english blend this is hard to beat.

JuanCarlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanCarlos (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another goal from Peterson. The best way to move from Aromatics to English mixtures.Latakia is not prominent, cavendish offers sweetnes and orientals add some spice. I detect some kind of topping, maybe liquorice from the Cavendish. An all day smoke, it will please English fans and can show a new horizon to Aromatics smokers. I dont rate it 4 stars because I would like a little more strenght.

conicallybored Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
conicallybored (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The previous reviewer nailed it. Peterson's Old Dublin is decent, but there are much better English blends for the same money. I bought this out of guilt for smoking 3 bowls at my local shop after buying only pipe cleaners. Should have plunked down $30 more for the lone bag of Penzance sitting on the shelf, but why deprive someone when I have a small stash.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)

Not a stand-out blend for me. A decent straight English but nothing exceptional IMO.

This is one of the straightest English blends I have so far experienced. So of course it is made in Germany, for an Irish company, using Greek, Turkish, U.S., and so on tobaccos. Certainly works well for me.

Opening the tin, I get an impression rather similar to Dunhill's Early Morning, with maybe a touch more sweetness. Suits me fine. Lights perfectly straight from the fresh tin, and smokes nicely and coolly down to nothing but ashes.

The taste is classically English; I guess I can't really say much more than that. Tasty, creamy, satisfying, not too strong. There are a few English and Balkan blends out there that I like better, but I won't hesitate to buy again.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

You cannot improve on what the reviewer before me (bence) wrote. With so many reviews, there is no need to add any further details. This may be an English blend, but the Irishman who blended this deserves the same type of praise showered upon men like Arthur Guinness. By the way, this blend goes superbly well with a glass of Guinness stout! Or a nice cup of strong, black tea - in the Irish style!

nemrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nemrod (2)

This was my first "real" English, having smoked mostly aromatics and convenience store pipe/rolling shag before. I had heard "Old Dublin" mentioned many times before and after reading some reviews here I thought I'd add it to my latest tobacco order to see what it was all about.

First impression when opening the tin was pretty bad. It has a pretty sweet and, at least to me, quite strange smell. The first bowl of it was bad as well, even making me hesitate to finish the bowl, not to mention pack another one.

That was a few days ago and today I decided I would try again, and this time I let the tobacco dry for a bit in the pipe (even though it wasn't excessively damp or anything like that) for about two hours. To my astonishment the weird taste was completely gone and replacing it was a very pleasant taste of what I had heard to much about in regards to Latakia, a nice smoky flavour.

Despite the bad first impression, now that I know I can't just smoke it straight out of the tin, this is definitely something I'm going to keep smoking and something I would recommend to anyone to at least try.

bosspipe1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bosspipe1 (2)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not many tobaccos can compare. In all honesty, when I first opened the tin and smelled the tobacco I didn't like it, but when I packed my pipe and lit it, I was pleasantly surprised. The Latakia does its job well.

If you are new to English blends, this one should be one of the first on your list.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)

My first english and still my best,,,infact my alltime (so far) tobacco of choice,,,(i prefer this to "965" as well)

I have had quite a few tins now and consistancy between tins older and newer is quite tight,,,:this means that i don't feel like i am smoking something different every time i buy a tin..

TIN APPEARANCE:Some light yellow,tan and brown for the main part,and some black ribbons..

TIN AROMA:Well this one i have now is milder to others i have purchased but no different in taste really.My first impression when i first took a sniff of my first tin was that it smelt harmful (X)i think it was a well aged tin because the label had browned. To describe it between what i have got and what it can be,i usually detect the common following:Tar couldron/mechanic's work pit,well old diesel tractor sump oil,creosote,petrol,musty barn roof rafters...(Note!;none of these produce themselves in the actual taste of the tobacco while burning BTW) The aroma evokes a very northern england industrial image in my mind,but not in an obnoxious way.

TASTE:Like white bread that has been lightly toasted over a real coal fire(not in an electric grill,there is no comparison),,,um leather like nubuck leather hide,,,soap mildly(like the brand "imperial leather soap" actually),,,hardwoods like mahogany smoking on the hot blade of a wood cutting mill saw,,,,sometimes but not often i taste vegetable extract ala "marmite" esp if i have not cleaned my pipe often(dirty pipe augments the flavour BTW)..

I use a 6" georgian clay pipe for its golden ratio of bowl dimension and tight airflow for max concentrate of flavour delivery,,,oh yes;sage and onion stuffing is a consistant taste that i get(i always try to identify simular tasting food flavours with a baccy so i can pretend thats what its trying to convey,even if it is no more than an accident of the blenders design,,,;it stops me argueing with myself and just enjoying the taste) Mild french mustard is possibly a better or simular equivalent of the leather factor in taste..

PREPARATION AND SMOKING:Dry and in perfect condition to smoke strait out of the tin!:burns well and fairly cool,,,medium burn rate,,,can be sipped or blasted,,smokes to a dry battleship grey ash with no real dottle,,,;lights brilliantly as if it was a TV commercial everytime,,,;needs no tampering or much fuffing about,,,;it doesn't expand and overflow when lighting,,,;and it does not bite..

ROOM NOTE:Smokey grey smoke but mild,,,its a smokey smoke,,yeasty and toasty,probably nicer for me than other pedestrians.

MORE:I have smoked a lot of other things since discovering this blend and i still keep coming back,,,i could say that maybe it tasts like all my other circulators made into a combined blend,,,this therefor is an axis smoke and my best allrounder if i had to choose 1 forever..

That being said;i think my favourite tobacco is variety itself and as much as i consider this my best,i buy others so i do not spoil my self by over smoking it..

Why i prefer this over simular competitors like "965" is that this baccy has no casing added which intrudes in the smoke,,,:the sweetness that is in here is natural from the cavendish and not some cordial topping,,,;my gripe with "965" is that it has a mild cream soda like casing that makes me wish i was smoking this..

AGEING TINS:I havent got time to age tins myself,,i have had older and newer tins and the difference is not great enough to be worth my time,,,ageing adds a leathery fermented taste which makes it slightly more mature and stronger tasting and less sweet.

I feel i can hold my head up when smoking this(not that snob value should enter into this but it has conneseur(can't spell it)value),,,;i have already told you i buy it often.

Described by some as a poor english,but having tried a variety of competitors including "nightcap" this is a pleasant medium toasty mature english with no burnt factor intrusion,i got it right first time and this is my quintessential english standard. Other simular purchases i buy for variation on a theme are "punchbowl" and "squadron leader" which have their own uniqueness.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opened tin gives off the aroma of a Danish type fruity, too sweet, almost brandy-like casing, (This is the new Blue label, Danish style cased English, “Made Exclusively For Peterson of Dublin.“ No blender is marked on the tin, but it no longer says “Made in Ireland” like the old white tin used to say.) Others on this post don't mention the obvious flavorings, so I assume the blend has undergone some changes due to a new blender. Just underneath the casing the English tobacco peeks out, mostly the Basma and to a lesser extent the Latakia. Lighting up brings the casing flavors - fruit and berries. A little artificial tasting. But the flavoring settles down, as the bowl burns down, enough to let the tobacco through. The Orientals are nice, the Latakia is more subdued. The Cavendish keeps it sweet throughout.

The shame is - the blend underneath tastes like it was an interesting blend, The casing makes it taste more like a cheap American blend. It's not terrible but It's not good. Given the price, I cannot recommend this stuff to any fan of the English style. As a medium Danish aromatic, it's as good as any I guess. Bites easily so be careful.

I love Peterson Pipes, but I'm not the biggest fan of their aromatic tobaccos.

Update: I left the tin open overnight, a lot of the fruit flavoring evaporated. Improved the smoke somewhat, but still not recommended. (Casing reminds me of Mac Baren's Plumcake, but less interesting.)

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (43)

If you haven't broken into the world of English blends then this is the blend for you. A wonderful mix of Latakia, Oriental, and Virginia. Much more pleasing to the palate than most cigars I've tried. It's a fairly slow and cooler burning tobacco which is great for starting smokers. It's not an aromatic though, so if you're looking for some cherry or vanilla flavoring look elsewhere. This was my first English blend and I rather enjoy it. I feel I must note though that if I don't smoke it with a small bite to eat before or after it does, for some uknown reason, tend to upset my stomach a little. So if it happens to you, just grab a quick snack once you feel a little off.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)

My first Peterson blend. None of the others by their descriptions really interest me. This blend is a "fun' blend for me. When I opened the tin (first time, and every other since then) I was struck with the impression that I had smelled this before (but I had not smoke any before). I gave a rating Extremely Mild in Flavoring but the flavor may not be added; it may in fact be from the orientals used outright (instead of any cavendish preparation). Whatever. I like it and find the I smoke at least a bowl or two a week instead of an aromatic when I get that yen.

I still cannot place the aroma memory - Sail Green? Carter Hall? Half and Half? Or just similar to all those? Fun stuff. It is an English - smokey Latakia, Turkish, and Virginia but an aromatic as well (perhaps naturally so rather than added).

Nice tobacco.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my first peterson blend..and i have to say im imperesed. Im slowy getting into English blends, this would be a good start. It has Latakia so you get some smokey flavor, and some sweetnes for the Basma tobaccos. If your like English bends, or want to get into them try this

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

comming into latakia blends for the first time. opening the tin its smelled like "zware shag" a ryo-tobacco like we have in holland which to me id a nice smell. its a nice mix between virginnia and latakia for me i can taste them both. recommended if your thinking of buying a blend with latakia in it and do not want to be overwhemled with latakia.

fruktflugan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fruktflugan (19)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I don´t know really what to say about this. It is certainly a German English and should not carry the name Old Dublin... More like Old Berlin perhaps!? :D

Anyway, it resembles the modern Planta take on Presbyterian mixture but it misses a couple of spots that Presby hits straight on. There's some topping in there and I don´t really know about the Basma component, it certainly does not taste like any other Basma containing tobacco I've tried.

Anyway... It is not really yummy good, but still semi- interesting. I shall give it some time to see if it grows on me, but first impression is a little "meh!"...

Oh, remember to be away from people when you smoke this. I mean I am used to Latakias and their smell, but this is cigarettey and has another type of acrid smellyness to it. Still, Petersons best offering to date. Not that it says a lot though since every tobacco from Peterson that I've tried has disappointed me deeply. This is one step ahead of the others!

dks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dks (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The tin smell was rather strong, and at first set me off a bit. Quite frankly, the tobacco smells a bit of manure in the tin. I was expecting the worst, but I was surprised by the taste of the stuff.Smooth, cool and dry smoke. I like it especially in somewhat longer pipes (like my Peterson System 302XL) all in all a good smoke and that I would definitely recommend.

Bob88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bob88 (2)

I have been pipe smoking now for over a year and so I'm still rather new to it. When I first started moving away from aromatics from my local store I relied heavily on this site for advice. I thought I'd return the favour with my first review for any other fairly new pipe smokers interested in moving on to new tobaccos.

I first tried a Balken mixture (six months ago) and I was far too inexperienced for it. I felt I'd give Old Dub a try as it seemed to be a popular blend that most reviewers recommended as a way into English Blends. They were right. The smell out of the tin was earthy, deep and ever so pleasant. The moisture in the tin was almost perfect and only required a little air drying. The first smoke wasn't amazing purely because I was so used to aromatics and it knocked me with flavours I was not used to. After a couple of smokes my palet started to open up to the blend. The sweetness of the virginia was just enough, the Latakia isn't too prominant which was good to ease me into its flavour. I loved the slightly peppery taste on the tongue. The blend smoked cool as long as I paid attention to it. It really helped me develop my palet and smoking technique.

I can see why smokers like this blend so much it has no huge thrills that I can detect (though as mentioned i am new to smoking). It is just a lovely smoke that makes you feel really satisfied. Through smoking this tin I am ready to try new, stronger blends to further develop my tastes. I will always remember my first Enlish though, Old Dublin

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I received a sample packet of this blend from the fine folks at Peterson Pipes. It has been a year ago since I tried it and I remember liking it quite well. I liked it well enough to purchase another tin in the future. I remember it having a rather unique flavor that pacified my palate just fine...reminded me of Robert Lewis' Tree Mixture. This stuff, I'd say, is a cross betwee a Balkan and an English. Whatever, it's academic. I think this is an excellent blend and many find it exceptional. From the reviews, it looks like this mixture has satisfied many pipesters, including myself. This mix is as good or better than most blends of this genre. I'm e pluribus unum on Old Dublin...one of many who liked this blend. Sampled in a size 2 Stanwell.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

this was a very mild english blend to say the least could not tase the cyprian latakia or the greek orential basma grades. this blend just had a nice and mild virgina flavor. this would be a good intro to an english blend if you like virginia blends. This blend was just to mild for me. was going to mix it with a bit of frog morton or frog morton on the bayou to get that latakia perique flavor that I like.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Old Dub has been my morning smoke for quite some time and I dare say will remain so. A remarkable medium English with just the right amount of Latakia to set you up for the day. Smooth and with an easy slowish, cool burn which continues to the end of the bowl, Old Dub provides the perfect, satisfying smoke to send me on my way out to face the world. A little light for me to smoke at the close of play, I much prefer to move through the day from OD to Skiff and then end the day with the aptly named Nightcap. Old Dub has a good amount of Latakia but the additional ingredients of Va, Cavendish and in particular the Oriental do not allow the Lat to hug centre stage. A well balanced, flavourful blend which provides a satisfying even smoke. Highly recommended.

Dallas Roger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dallas Roger (1)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the few blends available today that still has the appeal to me that the great tobaccos of old had. No one tobacco dominates, they join in a symphony of cool, heady flavor. Stays true to the bottom of the bowl, doesn't get funky. Smokes great in any pipe, no matter the diameter. Makes me yearn for the days when all the great blends were still made on the East side of the Channel.

LoKi6922 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoKi6922 (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Another great blend from Peterson. A nice medium English.

The room note is woody, and smooth and pleasant even in the car to my nose anyway... The best judge of room note is always your significant other and whether or not they throw you outside with your 'stinky pipe'! and the taste has an Earthy brush with a nice spice from the Oriental. The Latakia is not prominent but definitely noticeable which may make this a great introduction if you are normally an aromatic smoker.

I enjoy this enough that I could smoke it all day. Not too heavy, not too light... Just a nice cool smoke.

On that note, Petersons always seem to smoke a little hot to me. I usually smoke English blends in one of my Peterson System pipes (saving aromatics for corn cobs) and this one stays cool and lit all the way to the bottom of the bowl, especially in my 304.

Archo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archo (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

For me this is one of the best balanced medium English blends out there. I came to this blend not expecting much. My previous encounters with Peterson's had ended badly; Irish Oak was to too bad tampered to tame and Sunset Breeze left my mouth feeling like have a ton of chemicals had been dumped down it. So it was with not a little trepidation that I purchased a tin of Old Dublin.

Upon opening the tin the storm clouds of foreboding which had clung tenaciously over me parted a little. The reason was the delightful aroma, smoky with a heavy tinge of earthiness. Not what I had expected. I said to myself: You just might be on to a winner here. The tobacco was little on the moist side, requiring a few hours drying out. It was cut into thin strips which packed easily and behaved implacable all the way through. Upon lighting, the clouds fully parted to reveal deep sapphire skies, as I was greeted with a divine smoky coolness which lasted the whole bowel. The interplay between the VA's and the Orientals was superb, although the Orientals remained the dominant force throughout the bowel. There was a nice pinch of latakia that let your taste buds know it was there, but for the most part it remained restrained, lurking in the background and only occasionally jostling its way to the fore. The tobacco burned evenly to the bottom, leaving a neat pile of grey ash. The whole tin lasted less than a week, which is exceptional going for me and although there was the occasional sour note, I found this tobacco to be a remarkable consistent performer and one which is now firmly in my rotation.

In truth there are other English blends out there which have more of a ‘wow' factor. But if you're looking for an ultra solid medium English, with a nice but not overpowering amount of latakia, then Old Dublin could be for you. Recommended

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)

It's smooth and tastes good.

This is a fine semi English blend but There is not enough latakia in it.

Lono Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lono (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

As noted by another reviewer, this blend is somewhere between an English and a Balkan--milder than most English blends.

To my taste, this is a very well balanced tobacco with nice spice from the Latakia and Oriental, and sweetness from the Virginia. I find it thoroughly enjoyable; plenty of flavor without being obtrusive. Probably a good introduction for aromatic smokers looking for an introduction to Latakia and Oriental flavors.

I found the tobacco to be on the wet side out of the tin, and would benefit from a bit of drying time. A good all day smoke.

apipeareyouserious? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apipeareyouserious? (21)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Yeah, it's good. Bites me if I'm not paying attention, but I still love it. Not like my other English blends, there's something a little different about it that I like a lot. Plus, I can get it from my local tobacco shop which makes it a 4 star in my book.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

In tin aroma the oriental is very dominant. In my opinion this tobacco is something between English and Balkan, not enough Latakia for an English ,however , the taste is complex and satisfying and the creamy aftertaste will make you come back for more.

Scots Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scots Jim (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Bought a tin of OD for the first time today. I am not too big a fan of Peterson's tobaccos to date, having found the ones I have tried rather bland. This was a wonderful surprise!

Beautiful sweet flavour. Highly recommended. I will definitely buy this again and again..

My wife is away at the moment, but I've got a horrible feeling that the room note will not meet with her approval :)

j09823 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
j09823 (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My preferred English blend at the moment. I do like the Peterson blends, they are fine quality tobaccos. I enjoy several of the McClelland's blends for a lighter smoke, and think this is a more traditional fuller English.

It smokes dry, and cool, with no tongue bite. The flavors are just right for me with the smoky latakia, orientals, and virginia for some sweetness. I'm not such a big fan of the much praised Penzance, but that might change as my pallet develops.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Old Dublin is a class of its own in the English mixtures world.

A smooth and rich tobacco, it is however not very strong in terms of nicotine content.

The only downside to it is that it quickly becomes kind of bland, which defies the imagination when considering the mixture's content. I would suspect I ended up with the odd tin.

It still remains a tobacco worth the try.

ProfessorBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfessorBrown (7)

This is the first Peterson tobacco blend I have tried. I think it is a great smoke. It is a very well balanced blend. If I had to think of one criticism, I would have to say that this blend leaves me with a cigarette like aftertaste that I could do without.

The tin aroma is very appealing, the Latakia is present and very provocative. Give it a try.

Three stars on account of the aftertaste (my opinion).

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm a newcomer, this was the second pipe baccy I ever tried, and I loved it straight off. Not one for non-smoking company, though, it's a bit stinky. Lovely salty taste, like a mature cheese, which stays with you - I can still taste it from last night, and I brushed my teeth, honest!

lordnoble Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lordnoble (4)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

OK. For starters, my opinion should be taken from the standpoint of a person new to pipe smoking. But in this, I think it could help those who are in my shoes.

I bought a tin based on the reviews here. I cracked the tin and...WHEW! Not a smell I associate with pipe tobacco. It's hard to describe, but it was pungent. Not the sweet smell of Cavendish I prefer.

The first bowl was... interesting. It bit my tongue, tasted strong, and I failed to find anything to make me want to have another bowl.

I went back a few weeks later to see if I could find something I missed in the first bowl. Maybe it was too wet or something... Second bowl was OK for the first half of the bowl. Then it failed me again. I couldn't finish it.

Again, I may be new to smoking, but this isn't for me. At least not yet. Perhaps I'll find some endearing qualities over time..

UPDATE 8/16/11: OK, I'll freely admit that maybe I should've stuck with the familiar when I first tried this blend. Not for someone with no previous smoking history (of anything). I wasn't prepared for this level of complexity or the aromas from this blend. Granted, I'm sure a year of aging has helped this blend mellow some, but it was like smoking a different blend altogether. The orientals really sing in this blend, and the latakia adds some depth. It won't be a regular smoke since the room note isn't a crowd-pleaser by any stretch, but I smoke this for MY enjoyment. If I want other people to like me, I'll smoke a nice aromatic like 1888 Mid Day or Mac Baren Vanilla Flake. If I'm looking for a blend to sit back and contemplate, this is one that I will reach for again.

TheBriarSire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheBriarSire (11)

This tobacco is on my top three.

Opening the tin: Almost smelled to me like any ordinary english tin--latakia, virginia, blah, blah, but with a hint of the Irish Sea sprinkled in for good measure (think salt and kelp). When I lit it up, I was floored with a delicate balance of tobaccos and overall pleasant experience. The latakia is pronounced in the blend, yet somehow abstains from being overpowering and harmonizes very well with the others. Additionally, it was at a perfect moisture content and was ready to go straight from the tin. The lush characteristics and saltiness were all there. Think an Islay single malt, perhaps. The result is a truly epiphanic experience.

Concisely, it is an absolute pleasure to smoke and gives many other highly rated englishes a run for their money, both in price and in quality. I get the Squad Leader comparisons, and this one is more full, which is more to my liking, however, I'm not sure I would even bother comparing the two. Other than containing the same tobacco contents, the balance of flavor and quality are the only similarities they share. This stuff will be in my rotation for a very long time.

longbow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longbow (4)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

Well, after trying Peterson's execrable Irish Oak, and their forgettable Sherlock Holmes, I wasn't expecting much here, just trying to get hold of some baccy with an English accent here in the pipe smoker's backwater I live in.

Talk about being pleasantly surprised! This may be the perfect tobacco for those who are not wed to the sweet and gloppy side of things. Great tin note, perfect moisture level, good burning characteristics, not too bitey: but above all, the taste is divine. I don't know enough about all the intricacies and subtleties of the various tobacco varieties to talk competently about how they might have managed this, but somehow the blenders got everything just right, and pulled off some alchemical magic that takes this weed up and out of the normal English tobacco milieu to a new and original level.

Tasty, slightly sweet and a bit spicy at the same time, interesting, right amount of nicotine, nice combination of edginess and roundness.

A truly great smoke.

Alembic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alembic (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh come to papa you English blend you!

I love this blend. From the time I opened the tin and inhaled the Latakia to the bottom of my well burned ash, I knew it was an instant love affair.

No tounge bite, a decent complexity as the bowl burned and developed, and that pine/camphor aroma of burning Latakia and Oriental rounded out a perfect English for me.

I still love my Squadron Leader, but lets face it, there are many blends that we are just not going to get when we want them any more. For that reason, it was time to start trying to find a readily available and consitant English, and this is my all day English now.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)

I will always have a soft spot for Old Dublin, for it was this blend that converted me to the briar. This is why men smoke pipes.

The tin note slapped me in the face with peat moss and something strong and salty and, after a bit of drying, smelled even better.

Old Dublin is deep, rich, dark, smoky, and sweet, and has in the background a sort of briny and savory quality. I found the flavors are fascinating and complex, rich but subtle, and command the smoker's attention; a faint salty tang can just be detected behind the dark earthy sweetness. The Latakia is sometimes in the background, and comes and goes, but is always there, yielding a nice round, peaty fullness.

Beautiful smoke.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was very excited to write a review about this tobacco. I have reviewed a few Peterson tobaccos thus far, and finally get to review one I truly love.

I stumbled across a tin of this quite by accident over the Christmas holiday when my wife and I were in Las Vegas. After perusing the two Davidoff shops on the strip we decided to venture out into the town where the locals might buy their tobacco.

A half an hour cab ride later we came across a little hole in the wall pipe shop down town.

We walked into the shop, and we were greeted with jars of cherry this and coconut that. Lots of run of the mill Danish Cavendish blends that just do not fit my pipe smoking needs. I asked the shop keep what he had in the way of an English mixture. He scratched his head for a moment, and then went to the back of the shop where he pulled from the shelves the tin of Old Dublin. He blew the dust off the top of the lid and handed it to me.

I read the description on the tin, and figured what the heck I will give it a shot. If I don't like it at least I have a tin to match all the Peterson pipes on my rack.

Upon stepping out of the store I popped the tin, and was greeted with a whole lot of kick you in the rear Latakia. This was not at all a bad thing. I continued to savour the tin aroma and found some sweet Virginias and a lot of Orientals as well. I was quite surprised to find such a complex mixture in this tin.

I filled a new Peterson Arat which I had purchased in the same shop with this mixture, and got to puffin'.

The tin moisture was just right. I have since purchased about five tins of this and each one seemed to have the perfect moisture right out of the tin.

Upon the first light I was hit on the back of the tongue with a complex variation of Latakia and Oriental leaf. This was not overwhelming for me, though those new to the world of English style tobaccos might find it a bit overpowering. The flavour did not change a whole lot as I walked the strip enjoying my pipe in my own little trance. I noticed the delicate Virginias would pop in every once in a while to make a sweet appearance then just as quickly as they came, they would be blown away with the breeze.

The tobacco held its flavour all the way to the end of the bowl, and for once I felt satisfied. Rarely have I felt this entranced by a mixture than with Old Dublin. I think Early Morning Pipe, 965, and Balkan Sassini were about the only instances I could say that.

I rate this tobacco to be a very good example of a medium to heavy English blend with a lot of the characteristics found in the Balkan blends.

What is advertised on the tin is honestly what you get out of the tin.

This tobacco is one of my daily smokes; sometimes twice a day. I usually smoke it later in the evening after dinner or with a big Russian Imperial Stout.

I would recommend this tobacco to anyone who wishes to venture into the world of English tobaccos, and not be disappointed with the big jars of empty promises. If you are strictly an aromatic or VA smoker, I would say this might not be your cup of tea.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have avoided this since it was first launched: it contains Latakia, and I rarely go there, but it's the only Perterson blend I've not tried - so here I am:

The blending notes on this page indicate "Greek" Basma Grades and I don't know if this is verified, but I think that strictly speaking 'Basma' is the generic term for Turkish derived leaves -interested to here other views on this!

The interaction between Latakia and Basma is very interesting in this blend and this, in my view, distingishes it from a typical medium English mixture, which of course it's not.

Open the tin and the Latakia slaps you in the face; however, light-up and it's the oriental that takes prominence from offing. The Basma sweetness is there from the start of the smoke and the Latakia just seems to linger in the background almost as though it's a passenger on the journey; the real action is with the oriental's in the driving seat. There is simply too much oriental influence in this blend to classify it as a straight English medium mixture. I have smoked orientals [without Latakia] for more than 30 years, and yet I can live with this blend because the Basma almost, but not entirely, neutralizes the latakia content.

Other reviewers have noted that the latakia is not over-powering and they are absolutely right.

On the practacalities: the blend is very moist and benefits from drying almost to the point where it's toasty in texture. It also 'smarts' the tongue if pushed too quickly - especially in its moist form - allow it to breathe out of the tin before smoking.

Only somewhat recommended (because of the latakia), but I would consider this a short-term alternative, if for some reason, I could not obtain my favourite latakia-free oriental.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

First impression: Yuck! But after the tin had been opened for one month, the sweet tinnote had changed to a pleasant natural tobacco smell.

The taste also became quite alright after the tin had been opened for a month, but somehow it took me 3 months to smoke 3/4's of the 50gr tin. it's good but l tend to pick another of my opened tins when choosing what to smoke. No reason for it but there you go.

In short a good EM, but I prefer others, hence the low rating...

Angelos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Angelos (8)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a quite good tobacco, to me it ranges somewhere in the medium spectrum of things. Opening the tin, i got surprised by the strong and pleasant smell of the latakia.I could feel the smoked aroma before lighting it.Although it's quite stinky to others,you observe the fenomenon of roquefort cheese.Either you like its eccentricity, either you can prefer to combine it with pure burley or virginia so that you can calibrate the amount of the "pleasant stinkiness" to your taste. Doesn't need many relights,smokes steady,keeps its flavour to the very end.I prefer it in my pipe,late in the night.

extreme122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
extreme122 (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Straight good tobacco, being a newbie at first seems to be a little bit overwhelming but with consequent smokes this one is the best you can get. Better if left open for 1 or 2 months.

twokidslater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twokidslater (7)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

When opened my first tin of this I must admit that I thought poorly and expected the worst. I could not have been more wrong! I am now on my second tin and have put this wonderful tobacco on my 'must have' list. IMHO it doesn't matter if you are a new pipe smoker or have been puffing for many years, this is one you must try. Good job Peterson!

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)

Simply supurb tobacco. Unlike most of Peterson's blends, this doesn't bite if you puff it liberally. I find the combination of the latakia, turkish, virginia, and cavendish tobaccos to be an excellent combination. It is delicious in the extreme and I find myself waiting with baited breath to have another bowl of this fine leaf. Recommended for everyone who has ever put a tobacco pipe to their lips.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Well this is what i call pipe tobacco . I don't really understand those who say that it is a middle of the road English tobacco because everything that's needed is put together in balance and taste . Yes you could make it more complex. Yes it could be a bit stronger on the latakia. But when all is said and done it's a great All-rounder English blend .

pipesmoker33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker33 (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have been looking for an English Blend that is not too overwhelming and I found it here.I really love this one. For anyone who is looking to make the switch to English give this a shot. The Latakia is there, but not too powering.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've tried most all the Peterson tins. This is their only latakia mixture. A completely dry smoke. Very nice

jcohio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jcohio (4)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm just starting to enjoy the essence of latakia, and this blend is currently one of my favorites. Just enough latakia so that I know it is there without being overpowering. This is one that I can smoke most of the day and the boys at the cigar store never complain about room note being overly sweet or fruity.

Bard of Christ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bard of Christ (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Old Dublin is a good way to start your exploration of English style tobaccos. It's somewhat complex without beating you up.

In the can, this tobacco has the typical English characteristics of dried dark-fruit and smokiness. The cut is typical, medium-length. It packs easily into all but the smallest bowls.

Old Dublin lights easily and burns well to the very bottom of the bowl, with minimal relights. It smells like a typical English, where (to me) the latakia plays a prominent role.

The flavor is nice, with a mild complexity. There is a sweet background provided by virginias and an unflavored cavendish. Against that, there is the woody smokiness of the latakia and the zest of the orientals. I find that this tobacco leaves a menthol-like aftertaste, which isn't a bad thing.

This tobacco has a mild strength for an English blend, so it is great for newbies or as an all-day smoke when you don't want to get wrung-out on nicotene.

If I compared this to a beverage, it would be a decent Pinot Noir. It is somewhat rich and interesting, but not very strong. Recommended.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

UPDATED 1/28/12 I tried another tin that I've aged a couple of years. The "artificiality" that I mentioned in my original review was either a bit harsh on my part -- or the casing has dissipated with time. This is a solid smoke, fairly easygoing (IF you control your cadence). I would like to see a bit more punch from the Orientals, but overall, it's a good middle-of-the-road blend, with nice sweetness. It gets a bit ashy at the bottom, which is unfortunate. I prefer Squadron Leader, Royalty and Standard Mixture more in this category, and you can find better blends from C&D and Pease in this crowded category.

Original Review Old Dublin is a medium Balkan with delicious, core Oriental flavors and a pleasing richness that is balanced nicely by the Latakia, which is well apportioned and doesn't dominate. But all of the goodness is obscured by an unnatural, spicy bitterness, an artificiality that lingers unpleasantly through the finish. All of the Peterson tobaccos I've tried so far have this "chemical" trait, which conflicts with MY mouth chemistry. And that's unfortunate, because OD would have been a top choice for me -- and was, until I compared it to other blends in the category, such as G.L. Pease's Kensington and Samarra, which I encourage you to try and compare for yourself.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium Medium Medium Strong

What promises this tobacco made from the tin. Smells just right, not overwhelming with Latakia, other tobaccos to carry and support it. I started smoking many years ago, and a workmate recommended Four Square Blue, which I really enjoyed even though a boy. I thought that I may have found a similar one, or perhaps just leaning towards Balkan Sobranie.

The taste and burn on lighting up still held promise, then ... the chemical tingle and burning. Oh please let me be wrong....maybe I shouldn't have cleaned my teeth before, maybe not that blend of tea ..

All hopes dashed to pieces. Sore throat,numb tingling tongue.Another one added to my never again list I'm afraid.

Grizzly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grizzly (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My first review on here, so here goes -

I ordered a tin of this as the reviews on here sounded promising. Admitedly I am a fairly new pipe smoker having dabbled for a while whilst trying to give up the cigarettes. I have now devoted myself to the art of pipe smoking and am currently in pursuit of the pipe smokers nirvana.

Sadly I have not found it in this tobacco. I know that many on here praise this tobaccos qualities but maybe my palate has just not acquired the taste for this blend. Whilst I can appreciate the quality of the tobaccos in this, I find it is just not doing it for me. I am not saying that it is bad, it just is not my cup of tea.

On opening the tin there is a promising note of good tobacco with something going on in the background. This you discover is the Latakia which to me is an acquired taste. Somewhat like discovering that Earl Grey tea tastes different from normal tea. Nothing wrong with that its just different.

At the moment, I cannot give chapter and verse as to the merits of each variety of leaf just an overall impression of whether it tastes good and to me as a newbie pipe smoker it is not for me. Maybe in years to come I will revisit this tobacco and change my opinion but it is not one that I shall be ordering again soon. I will finish the tin, as I hate to waste money. I ordered this with a selection of others Old Gowrie, Connoisseurs Choice and Sunset Breeze and so far this is my least favourite. I can only put that down to the Latakia as I know they are all quality tobaccos.

In conclusion, it lights well, burns well, is not too moist out of the tin, burns cool in the pipe but is an acquired taste for the more experienced pipe smoker and not for the new boy. Incidently, it also gave me hiccoughs but maybe thats just my inexperience in smoking too quickly.

two stars for the quality of tobacco but loses two because its not for me.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)

This is Peterson's entry in the great Latakia derby and I really enjoy it. I should note that I am reviewing one of the new "blue" tins. The tobacco smells nice in the tin and the roomnote is that of the classic burnt-out campfire. The taste is a balance of the latakia and virginias with the smoothness on the bottom which I presume is the cavendish. This is a very mild latakia blend. The latakia is pronounced throughout but not overpowering. If you like latakia but like something different than a super strong latakia blend this is a nice mellow chage of pace. First class smoke.

tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)

The ribbon cut of Old Dublin packs and fires with an ease that implies the remainder of the experience will follow along pleasantly...and it does.

The Virginias and Basma unite to provide a wonderful platform for just the right amount of latakia to raise it's smoky head. I find the consistency of flavors throughout the bowl one of the pluses of this wonderful blend.

Is it too much to fire a pipe of Old Dublin, close one's eyes and expect to feel transported to that lovely isle across the sea? I think not.

Life goes on Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Life goes on (6)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently picked up a tin of OD to give it a try. I have to admit that this is a superb blend. I love Penzance, but few if any of my friends appreciate the aroma! OD not only has excellent flavour, my friends find it more than acceptable. There is a significant difference between the 2 blends, but I really enjoy both. I think OD would be a fine blend for any one who enjoys an English.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I love the english mixtures as much as I like pure va tobaccos of SG & Rattray.It is always a pleasure to smoke some peterson flakes & it is a must to have OD at home as well. There is one thing I do not really understand in connection with the tins - here we see the new profile of the tins I only get the old fashioned boxes, even when I buy it at the Dublin store.Does anybody knows the reason for this? Anyway this is a first class tobacco, ribbon cut, perfect moisture to smoke it out of the tin. I prefer medium & xl pipes to get as much out of the mixture as possible. It burns easy, stays lit with only one char light, no problem to smoke it down to the bottom. Gives you good cake, so it is good to break in a new pipe, but I would not say there is much of a ghost in your pipe, as you might get smoking say condor. The problem with room note & acceptance - well everyone who smokes english mixtures knows what others might think about the tobacco, some like it others don´t. Too me as someone stated here OD is the perfect answer to Dunhill 365 - I smoke them both, but OD is a tad more perfect in the mix of sweetness and nicotine.

EHATHAWAY Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EHATHAWAY (4)
Strong Strong Very Full Strong

Better than 965. Yea, I said it! and I mean it!!! The Latakia in this blend has a much more salty taste that lingers on the palate looong after the smoke. It is bliss! If you want the best English Latakia blend out there, then you can't go wrong here.

ask4free Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ask4free (7)

I was looking to try a latakia/English blend, I was a little nervous due to only smoking aromatics thus far and guess what...it was lovely! I have smoked 2 bowls so far and the second one was better than the first. I look forward to smoking more. Another thing I notice is how cool it smokes. The aromatics I have been smoking lately have been burning hot and giving me some tongue bite. If your looking to try a latakia/English blend for the first time go with Old Dublin, it is nice!

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

I'll smoke anything me. All depends on my mood and palate at the time.

OD to me smells and smokes like a dry summers evening camp fire set in the deepest of forests. I reckon this is what the Shire Hobbits of J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-Earth would be smoking when they refer to 'Old Toby'!!

Really nice blend of tobacco and a good introduction to those who want to try a latakia/English blend. I'd recommend this one and Squadron leader, with SL being a tiny weeny bit sweeter (IMO), and OD on the stronger side as you get past half-bowl point.

Great break from the aro's..

Cheers again Peterson..

JDev84 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JDev84 (7)

A wonderful blend. the virginia is hardly noticable, but it is very sweet. a pinch of latakia and the basma leaf makes this a blend to keep around, though. these tobaccos are in the perfect amount and compliment each other perfectly. as for taste, i cant smell or taste any artificial flavorings, and the basma and latakia make this almost a salty taste. goes great with irish breakfast tea. really a good smoke. cool burning, not too fast but not too slow, and burns quite dry. ill be ordering more of this one.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)

This review is based upon one of two 5 gram samples I received from the good folks at Kapp & Peterson of Dublin, Ireland. The other sample is Sherlock Holmes which has already received my critique. Breaking the seal on the foil pouch, I instantly whiffed the unmistakable aroma of Latakia. It was already dry and ready for stoking. It is a very mild & cool burning English blend that produces plenty of smoke that is very tasty. The addition of the other tobaccos create a balance that enhances the overall taste of the blend & offers a bit of sweetness.

Lately, I've been developing a taste for Latakia, but will most likely always favor Virginia blends. I like this English blend very well and look forward to finishing the sample & may aquire a tin as my cellar deminishes. So far, the English blends that I've tried have too much Latakia to suit my smoking preference. Although this is a nicely balanced mix, I'm still seeking an English/Balkan blend where the Latakia is less dominant. I will try McC's Jubilee in the near future. After aquiring more experience with Latakia, I may have to come back and upgrade OD as it is, no doubt, a fine English. Therefore, IMHO & based only on the quality of an English blend, Old Dublin merits three *s!

Pipe Boiler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Boiler (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My 4th variety of pipe tobacco. This tobacco was everything I thought real pipe tobacco could be. Delicious. Fantastic smell and nicotine enough to satisfy fully. My hotel in Russia have not complained to me but when I go back to my room after the business day it subtly smells like walking onto a campsite where a camp fire has been burning. I bought second pipe to try this tobacco especially. A meerschaum lined briar. I am now appreciating the difference between tobacco types. I bought a second tin immediately. I will try more Peterson blends. Pipes and tobacco are more expensive than the UK but the better Russian tobacco stores are a pipe smokers heaven.

This is my No.1 pipe tobacco and I doubt anything will replace it.Almost 6 months into pipe smoking and I love every minute of it.

Mr. Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Peterson (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Hi. I think this is a good tobacco. The lataki is a special taste, it`s a type you like or you don`t. For me it was a great experience, among many others from Peterson. It gives you a pleasent experience. Enjoy it!!

Wonderful tobacco, a true classic. Smoky, sweet, tasty... Everything you would expect from a high quality English mixture. Very well balanced, with no component eclipsing the others.

This also provides the perfect strength for my everyday needs and would make a great all-day smoke: very satisfying, never overlwhelming, no tongue bite and easy burning.

robvolume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robvolume (9)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I love this one. It always packs well and burns nicely. The Latakia really stands out for me in this one. My wife doesn't like when I smoke it in the house though because she complains that the smell is too harsh.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

Update 7th February 2009

I think I have been a little too cruel to OD, as I'm now into my third tin with another in reserve. Having been fortunate enough to procure 3 tins of 965, I can see the similarity, not a replica, but 3 stars better than nothing. As OD is easy to obtain, I will most likely keep at least a tin to hand, but not stock pile it.

Original 18th January 2009

Very Middle of the road, nothing exciting here, if you can't get hold of your usual Latakia fix, this will do. A harmless tobacco whose only saving grace is that it burns clean and well, sadly, I'm told this is one of the better Peterson tobacco's.

Would make a good introduction for someone wanting to try Latakia for the first time.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (154)

I'm just continuing to clean my cellar up, and trying to finish some old tins left open.

Old Dublin is something bought five years ago or even more, still the "Made in Ireland" (Murray?) manufacture. About five bowls remaining, I have rehydrate to the minimum extent.

I have immediately realized the reason why I have never come through this again... too much plain and balanced, there is nothing of any importance happening. Oh, the weed is (was?) good quality, but no room enough between the players.

OD may be good for somebody and, if an english mixture can fit in the role of all-day smoke, OD suit the task. But not for me, thank You! Way too much expensive for that.

Silver Spigot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Spigot (18)

A very smooth & naturally sweet blend, similar to 965, without the tart tanginess of the Dunhill blend; I think this is the perfect blend for the aromatic smoker who would like to try an English mixture.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)

As a recent pipe smoker, this is my first latakia, and so I don´t have anything to compare Old Dublin to, in terms of latakia tobacco's. Burns fine and cool, though maybe a little moisty. The 3 stars simply means I really enjoy it, and I guess english type is going to become my favorite. I´ll re-review it after I smoke some other english blends. Next, I´ll be looking for something stronger in nicotine, though.

When thinking on how to describe latakia, one word keeps coming to my mind: clothed... yes, probably it´s a lousy description, but it's as if the tobacco was wearing fine clothes, like a robe. Pure VA's, for example, have a naked body sweetness to my palate... Well, maybe I should keep these deliriums to myself.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

lighter version of night cap,,,the cavendish give it the sweet touch yet its a good english starter for latakia lovers i love this blend the most between its blender(peterson) other offerings,,full bodied and give long lasting smokey musty taste,,i used to smoke it daily in the morning before i went back to be a full time aromatic smoker,burn very well, considerable nic hit to it and have a special touch that reminds me of something standing in between squadron leader and night cap (strength wise).

g_andrini Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
g_andrini (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It's a fabulous english mixture. Perfect for Christmas! Room aroma is very good too.

Pipe of Good Hope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe of Good Hope (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have been dedicating the past few weeks of smoking to Peterson tobaccos and this is my second recent post after Luxury Blend. I can hardly add a better description of this blend than the one given by Pipesmoking101, but I offer my opinion anyway.

When I offer an opinion on a pipe tobacco, and before offering a review which could influence others, I pay attention to the what-where-when-how. I keep my tobacco at 70% humidity and 21 degrees C. I smoke at least 1 tin or 50gr over time, I use different pipes which I clean before returning to this blend, I smoke in a peaceful environment away from drafts where I can relax and enjoy 3 or 4 pipes full at a time and fill the room with that smoke. I refrain from using silica filters and choose my accompanying drink, if any, carefully. I had coffee with this blend most of the time. I light my pipe using a soft butane flame, not a match. My views are based on smoking about 80gr of this tobacco over about 2 weeks.

I was eager to again try this blend as a break to the many cased aromatics offered by Peterson. The blend as it is described on the tin seems exotic in a sense and one cannot but help to expect a great 'typical English' smoke. When opening the tin, one is greeted by the distinct smoky character of the latakia. I held the tin right up to my nose and when you inhale the aroma the second time, you push past the upfront smokiness and experience balance and complexity. Maybe it's just me but I am reminded of the smell of a well cured loaf of salami as you unfold it from its gauze cover before you cut the first slice. A fantastic spicy, almost savoury aroma. The tobacco mix is dark with highlights and has significant moisture, so many smokers will put it out to dry before packing their pipes. I did not and it packed well and lit easily in any case. The burn was alive without being too hot, the smoke was cool with almost no bite.

This blend is probably not the 'typical English' smoke but rather offers a gentle experience of what could otherwise be fiery tobacco. The latakia is smooth and the top notes of earth and burnt oak are complimented by base notes typical of virginia and cavendish. I could not quite pinpoint the contribution of the oriental leaf but simply accept that it played its part in this delightful mix. Every time I sat down to again light up, I had the anticipation of a rewarding smoke and was not disappointed.

I would highly recommend this tobacco as a first introduction to anyone who has refrained from trying latakia blends. Like with Ashton's Consummate Gentleman, this blend is under estimated in terms of what it will deliver in overall satisfaction. A truly great smoke that consistently rewards. Hein Garbers, South Africa

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Upon opening the tin, one is greeted by a very attractive looking tobacco, with a ribbon cut combining shades of Bright Virginia to Black Cavendish tobaccos, & everything in between. The smell straight off the tobacco is of burnt savoury biscuits & light spice notes. The tobacco seemed extremely damp in the tin, but this did not affect the burning qualities, it burned cool & slow, but steady. The big puffs of thick blue smoke were extremely satisfying, & the taste was extremely pleasant, being (to my mind) the archetypal English blend, spicy, smooth, warming & rich. From first light, one knows that they are going to get a latakia treat, but the balance between the latakia & all the other tobaccos contained within (particularly the orientals & to a lesser degree the Cavendish) is executed expertly. The comparisons to 965 are justified (but please bear in mind that I have a pipe dedicated to English blends which has had a lot of 965 smoked in it - this is what I smoked the OD in also), but I would say that overall, I find this a deeper & more satisfying smoke. The depth of flavour & overall richness of the experience leaves me with more expectation of the next time, & it never fails to disappoint. Surpisingly, given the actual smoking experience is stronger thn MM965, this is somewhat lighter on the palette, & I find that my usual English blend cleansers of Tea, Water or clear Beers keep the pallette fresh whilst smoking this. This Tobacco is, I feel, a good all-day smoke, but is rather strong in nicotine, so should possibly be taken as an all-dayer with care. The room note is not particularly heavy, I would say in it's room note - like it's flavour - it is 'typically English', as such, most pipe smokers will love it, most non-smokers will not (It will leave your domicile slightly more funky than 965, though). I have given this smoke 3 out of 4, as the system allows to rate whole numbers only, but I would - if I had the option - give it 3.5 as I do like it so. As of yet in my pipe smoking ventures, I have only given 5 stars to plugs & flakes, maybe I have a fetish for the more unusually presented tobaccos & the ritual that goes with preparing them, or maybe I just haven't found THE perfect English blend yet. Either way, I'm gonna have some fun finding out. The search continues...

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (27)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I first purchased this blend. Some describe it as being identical to dunhill's 965, others find it to be too bland and unexciting. As I enjoy 965, I found no harm in giving this one a try, and I must say that there were no disappointments.

Old Dublin has an extremely balanced full flavour enabling me to taste all its components. A nicely defined aromatic smokiness emerges from the Latakia, the virginias provide a subtle sweetness and tang, the orientals spice things up and finally the cavendish alows the different elements to interwine harmoniously.

965 is in a class of its own and cannot be replaced, this one seems to be less prone to drying out in the tin, has a more pleasant room note and is milder. Highly recommended.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (27)

Many years ago, this was my first English (well, not so many years, I´m still young, but just consider that I started to smoke pipe at 14... thank you granddad, you would possibly go to jail nowadays for that).

I think this one must be a great introduction to the world of Latakia, since it worked very well for me. I´ve found more exciting mixtures out there with time, but I always recommend this or Davidoff´s Royalty as an introduction to English Mixtures. Maybe the presence of Cavendish gives a kind of link between aromatics and true tobacco that makes the transition smoother.

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Not too sure about this one yet. Reminds me a little of Charing Cross with its bitter green pepper taste. Smells like an English in the tin..... but something is lacking in the smoke. Easy to pack. Moist at first, but seems to be drying out properly.

This gives off a sour aroma and flavor that I find very distracting.

All of the Peterson tobaccos I have tried leave a cigarette aftertaste. I prefer Squadron Leader or Nightcap for blends in this vein.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really enjoy Old Dublin. It seems to be very satisfying to me. I do not/have not smoked this all day, but really enjoy it now and again. I'd say I smoke this one a few (3-5) times a week. I have a GBD Dedicated to Old Dublin and most likely always will. I only wish it was cheaper, I'd buy it more often. They taste is mild but full bodied. It is not harsh, does not bite and seems very satisfying to me. I don't get any musty smell from it and the Latakia is very mild. I get some flavor out of this but really can't pin it down. I am just not sure what I taste. I give this 4 stars for sure!

jon39 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jon39 (10)

This has been a long time favorite of mine. 'Ol Dublin I can smoke all day, but I really like it after dinner till bedtime. Just strong enough to be very satisfying to the palate.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad but not enough latakia if that is what you are looking for. A nice mild smoke preferably one for the first of the day. I like cavenish mixed with latakia. Will smoke a few more bowls before gifing it a final rating...nothing really sticks out.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this for the first time tonight. My father had smoked this a few years ago once with one of his buddys and wound up procuring a tin of it about 6 months ago which remained unopened until tonight. We cracked the can open (after much struggling, I may add...)and were met with one of the most delectable fragrances I have ever smelled. English--read Latakia--but with a spicy something else and a bit of sweetness too...

Moist in the can, I grabbed a nice pinch and held it in the palm of my hand for a minute or two before packing it. First pack too tight do I had to dig it out and try it again. Dad packed his into this absurd churchwarden and I into a nice rusticated Kaywoodie bent that has recently been broken in and thinly caked with Prince Albert.

Initial light sent rollicking notes of latakia aflame and required one tamp and a followup light. The latakia shines forth, not too oppresively though, and it gives the nicely balanced virginia and cav to mingle in and out. By the end of the first quarter you can really start to taste the oriental as the latakia burns itself off. Mind you that although the latakia is stated to be Cyprian, it seems to be of the silky Syrian variety, not the rougher Cyprian stuff you sometimes encounter in cheaper blends. Spicy and a little bit sweet with a touch of salt from the oriental, a kaliedoscope of flavors wafts forth, reminding me of freshly baked gingersnaps or maybe even baked ham (I know it's an odd description). The stoving continues and the deeper tones of the virginia come out along with the oriental which has reached it's flinty, spicy creschendo just after mid bowl. I finished the bowl with the virginias and the cav doing their decrescendo when all of a sudden theres this puff or two of nice, spicy latakia (perhaps I unevenly packed) and the bowl is over--waning out of flavor and putting out only a thin grey smoke. I tip the bowl out and a nice white ash followed by a fingertip of fairly dry dottle (mostly unburnt) tumbles out.

Similar in many ways to The Solent Mixture by MacBaren, but stronger on the latakia and a bit more purposeful. Not bad at all, it seems to have a bit of a "Balkan" character which is (to me) almost akin to Dunhill's Aperitif, but sweeter and ultimately more enjoyable.

I'm one who enjoys the Danish type of cavendish/American burley smokes with only the occasional English/Balkan/heavy latakia thrown in a few times a week, but I think I'll probably buy a can of this and add it to my rotation.

All in all, pretty good stuff.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I felt patriotic so I said I should give it a try as it has some Greek leafs from Xanthi.. A good Oriental blend and milder than the strong Early Morning. I think its easier to smoke this one early in the morning than the Dunhill one.. A quality blend! In addition, I think that those that are not into orientals would actually like it for its mellow cavendish and gentle spicy proportions..

Dikos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dikos (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable

Very good english blend, very smooth at the start and a little bit spicy at the end of smoking. A little moisture in the tin, but for me it's ideal condition. Smokes cool, without a bite. Good tobacco good price for it, so 4 stars.

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)

Old Dublin is the first Peterson mixture I've tried, and I am favorably impressed. Old Dublin is essentially a medium English mixture with a touch of Black Cavendish-- similar in composition to Dunhill's My Mixture 965. O.D. does remind me somewhat of 965, but seems a bit smoother and not quite as sharp. It's also considerably less strong than recent samples of 965 have been. There isn't a lot of either the Cavendish or the Latakia in O.D.; their unique flavors add a nice counterpoint to the blend of quality Virginias and Oriental tobaccos. At times, the subtly sweet Virginias seem to dominate; at other times, I notice more of the smoky, sourish Orientals. The tin aroma is both sweet and smoky, but it's not an artificial sweetness that comes from added flavorings. O.D. packs and lights well, and hasn't bitten me yet. It's a tobacco I can smoke often without tiring of it, and its moderate strength qualifies it as something that can be smoked several times a day. A good choice for a medium English, and one I'll return to often.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Old Dublin is an excellent medium strength English blend, sweetened by both black cavendish and the greek basma grades, and a nice change from the common cased Peterson blends; somehow, it is more complex, refined and pleasant than Irish Oak, despite that we are talking about different blends here, the last being a VA/Per blend.

Upon opening the tin, it's definitely English, nice yummy Latakia with Oriental smell being dominant. The bakkie is long cut, composed of golden, brown, green and black shades. The moisture content is a bit high so it might need a bit of time to dry up a bit more before being easy to smoke.

Filling is easy, a couple relights and there you go! You're on for a nice journey. Be careful, though, not to smoke too fast 'cause, if the tobacco is a bit moist, it might become a bit wet due to the black CA.

The different bakkies blend well as the bowl is being smoked; the Va will slowly attenuate to leave the Latakia, Basma and CA lead the show after the mid-bowl. The bottom of the bowl will be dry only if the moisture level is low.

The only thing preventing me from giving it 4 stars is that after only a couple weeks that the tin is opened, the taste will fade significantly. Old Dublin needs to be smoked quickly. I suspect because it is because there is more VA than Basma...

However, recommended, a beautiful effort from Peterson at an English blend.

Newsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newsman (9)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Strong

It is very good Latakia, with nice touch of cavendish and virginia, personaly my next to Dunhills "Early morning pipe, but you must dry tobacco well.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is truly an excellent blend. If you are a piper that is smoking aromatics and curious about latakia do not hesitate. The latakia is not over done but yet highly detectable, it is indeed a beautiful combination. It burns cool and is by far the best behaved tobacco i have smoked. Nothing jumps at you, no nasty surprises here, just a nice nicotine spike somewhere around mid bowl. The only problems are that its hard to find in South Africa and that I cant give it more stars. I really enjoy this blend, buy a tin and do the same. Mo, South Africa

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Strong

I am an occasional Latakia smoker, so by no means a good reviewer on this one. Just the one tin bought, the last part of which I mixed with half a tin of sweet killarney. I like the way it changes flavors through the bowl. It has a bit of MacB's Mixture quality to it in the sense that, it's different everytime you smoke it. I like the mixture of sweet cavendish and virginia with the spice peaty qualities of the oriental and latakia, jumping between the two as you puff. Peterson's call their Uni Flake, a thinking man's tobacco. It is, and it is a good flake, but I feel Old Dublin is even more of a thinking man's baccy because of these overlapping and ever changing tastes. I think adding a pinch of this to your favorite Aro or flake could work very well. Recommended for Latakia lovers but not for the purists. A good introduction level latakia also.

indyf1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
indyf1 (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

The first bowl of this Peterson blend was very good. I usually find myself in the Aromatic camp, and this was recommended as a good change of pace. It was that. It's a spicy blend that smokes dry and cool. Very little tongue bite. Unfortunately, each successive bowl has been less and less enjoyable. The "spiciness" has begun to taste remarkably like soap to me. I now wonder whether I'm smoking "Old Dublin" or an old bar of "Irish Spring." Perhaps someday I'll "graduate" from aromatics to the more English styles, but if so, it won't be with this tin. I'll keep it in my rotation until it's gone, but I won't be replacing it.

While smoking Old Dublin, I see myself as a bearded outdoorsman, flannel shirt now ripe after three days in the wild. I've just finished my dinner -- the trout I caught earlier today -- and the crackling open fire complements the aroma of my half-smoked bowl. The sky is clear and the stars are beginning to twinkle. Only a few more days until I'll have to return to the office. The occasional puffs of smoke drift off into a seemingly endless forest . . . .

Russell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Russell (62)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a decent english blend but after trying dunhill's london mixture I won't being going back to it. I'm not a big latakia fan as it takes so long to get the taste out of my mouth.

It smells like hot tar and heated loam in the tin. The taste is that of pine needle smoke, oriental tobacco, virginia and a little aromatic wood smoke thrown in for good measure. Once in a rare while a slight hint of frankincense creeps through.

The room note smells good to me but won't be appreciated by others, it's kinda like smoky cigarettes.

3 stars.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (60)

A hearty tobacco in the 'English' vein. A nice dose of Latakia and an excellent interplay with the Oriental and yellow Virginia. Not over-powering: a pleasurable, balanced blend. Enjoy!

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)

The tin I just opened is approx 2 years old. I find this a nice, easy going medium strength mixture. The aroma of the Orientals and VAs are what I notice most when I open the tin; the Cyprian adds just the right amount of smokiness. The blend is a loose cut of mostly dark leaf with some lighter strands mixed in. The leaf is at just the right moisture level and I easily pack one of my Petersons (a Kinsale XL15 bent bulldog).

Several lights and a little light tamping and an hour is pleasantly spent while I putter around my shop. The Latakia is noticeable but not overpowering here, the Orientals and VAs are very flavorful; very nice. The Cavendish adds some smoothness that I find lacking in some of the Dunhill blends. This blend is close in taste to London Mixture, but is very nice and can easily stand on its own merits. A nice cool, dry smoke. 8 out of 10 stars.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

Now this is a proper light English! I have been searching for a light, afternoon English blend and this is it. Upon opening the tin I smelled the spicy orientals and rich Latakia and my hopes were high. The tobacco is loose cut and packs well, it lit easy and provided a satisfying smoke.

I have been disappointed by many light English tobaccos, because they usually lack the flavor I desire in an English blend. I am ready to sacrifice strength and some amount of heft but not flavor. Old Dublin does not disappoint.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Old Dublin was a nice surprise for me - a "real" English from Peterson. I cannot stand their Irish Oak or Sherlock Holmes, but I'm glad I tried this one. It's a medium English, and one step off the exact middle of the road with the addition of the Basma.

One of the other reviewers called this Frog Morton on the Town's older brother and that's apt. OD is stronger in nicotine, fuller in flavour, and a bit less sweet and a bit more spicey. A solid entry in the category, and a tobacco that a guy can't really complain about, even if it's not absolutely dazzling. As always from Peterson, leaf quality is really high and moisture content is just a tad high right off the bat.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

11/27/2004: I don't smoke this that often as I am mostly smoking flakes these days. When I did favor the Virg.-Oriental-Latakia blends I refer to as English types this is a very good one. If it was the only English I could lay hands on it would do nicely. There are a lot of fine competitors out there though so I must down rate this to three-and-one-half of four stars.

11/17/2006 Update: The Basma saves it from two stars. Haven't tried the non-Irish version yet.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This just tastes unrefined to me: rough and harsh if you will. It's not that it is a bad tobacco, there are just many latakia/oriental blends that I like much better e.g., McClelland 5125, Penzance, Pirate Kake, etc.

I tried this in a Savinelli Punto Oro and a Peterson Emerald. Perhaps I just have not found the pipe that matches this blend. At times it seemed promising, but then just went flat.

I only smoked this blend on my ride home from work. Maybe the conditions weren't right. But after 18 or 20 bowls, I will pass.

This is a solid and approachable blend. The only problem I have, is that there are many blends I have tried that cost less, and are just as good or better. The big plus for this blend is an apparent lack of preference for pipe size or style. Old Dublin soldiers on, no matter what.

Not a blend for contemplation, but a pleasant, quiet companion. Who knows? You may love it. It is certainly worth a try.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

Old Dublin is very well balanced. The generic ingredients are the same as in MM 965, but the Basma gives OD a different flavour. Some brands - Peterson is one, W O Larsen another - seem not to get their full due. To get the best out of OD it needs to be tried on a fresh palate. I have found that the clean, sharp taste of gin (or iced water for that matter) is the perfect companion for OD.

Kentish Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kentish Piper (4)

Don't know if I like this as a regular smoke or not. My first impressions were good but this tobacco can give a little bite if you puff like a chimney. I would say that I can see why this is popular, on the other hand it does not quite fit for me. Don?t get me wrong, I do like it, it is just not up there in my top 5. And as I have a long journey to go, it will slip even further down my rankings. I give it 3 stars because to me that is where it fits - right in the middle. To some this will be in their top 3, and I can understand why. But that is why we are all different.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

First of all, I don't know what it is about a lot of the reviews. It seems like a lot of English professors out there, so I'll be more to the point. I found this blend at the local tobacconists' while in the process of seeking out a good "anytime" English blend. I wanted something that was flavorful, but not so (as you professor types would say) "thought provoking".

Old Dublin fits the bill for me. The smoky Latakia smokes cool, and the sweetness of the Virginias isn't too pronounced. There are several other, nearly indeciferable, flavors that come through. But, everything is well balanced. The thing I like most about this blend is that it tastes the same at the bottom of the bowl as it does at first light. Many of you may think this is boring, but I don't. I've tried too many blends that give me weird flavor surprises halfway through a bowl, so I find a consistent flavor a big plus.

Palmer Eldritch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palmer Eldritch (6)
Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I do not know what it is about this blend that just does not click with me. It seems that the style of curing or some added components do not work well in this blend. It is not very flavorful... all I can taste most of the time is best described as thin. There is no billowing smoke as with many other good Englishes. Yet, it still manages to assault the nose and back of throat. There seems to be a noticeable alcohol-like twang in the two Peterson's I've tried, this and Irish Oak. With Irish Oak it works, here it does not.

I would recommend this to those starting out with latakia, but then again, if others experience the same thing as I did, I would not want it to spoil their first experience with this type of tobacco. 2 of 4 stars.

Javelin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Javelin (8)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just about a third of the way through my very first tin of Old Dublin and those first impressions are very favourable. This is a very solid, well balanced English-style blend with a pleasant, but not over sweet tin and room note that is a definite hit with me. Medium in strength, there's reasonable depth to the taste of Old Dublin. It is, I think, a good anytime of the day smoke, (although I prefer my bowlful of this in the evening when I have more time to savour the experience). Definitely recommended.

latakiahaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
latakiahaze (11)

How did I come to this tobacco? I seem to be on a never-ending quest to find the philosopher's stone, the "perfect" all-day smoke. I was beginning to think that actually that may not be possible, or even desirable, and that I should instead be hunting down a variety of tobacco's each to reflect my mood, my pipe, the time of the day, the season... and so it goes on...

Having said that, I've just tried my first bowl of Peterson's Old Dublin and find that this could just be that perfect "all day" smoke.

My smoking tastes are eclectic, from almost sickly sweet top-dressed burley blends to Dutch aromatics and traditional English blends (I'll even smoke perique neat) I found this one after dabbling with Squadron Leader, Commonwealth Mixture, Dunhills My Mixture 965 and Nightcap.

This is a mild but flavoursome blend, quintessentially "English" with a goodly portion of oriental and latakia. The first taste is latakia, but the other tobaccos soon meld together perfectly, the orientals providing spice (never too hot or harsh) whilst there is an undertone of sweetness provided by the virginia. Wonderful.

I may have been lucky but mine burned right down to the bottom of the bowl straight out of the tin. The mixture radiates plumes of cool blue smoke and the tobacco burns down to a fine white-grey ash.

Although I have a tendency to devour my tobacco's (too greedy!) this one was extremely well behanved with no tongue-bite, heat or bitterness. The burn was cool and rewarding all the way down with no relighting necessary.

There is an enigmatic quality to this blend, it may be that no one tobacco dominates (no latakia overkill here) which creates a dreamy reverie as the mind plays with the subtle flavours much as the ear tunes in to one instrument in an orchestra and then another. With this analogy in mind the symphony is perfectly structured, although the finale does leave one wanting more.

Yes, this may just be the "all day" smoke I have been searching for....

BrianHK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrianHK (4)

old dublin was the 3rd tin of peterson tabacco i have bought, i think o.d. is not bad but its a little bit strong 4 me..., & i found that its strength & taste are quite similar 2 "davidoffs royalty" (just a little bit diffenent), so, why not take the similar tabacco with the cheaper price? but if u like those tabacco with aromatic, dont try this, if not, u will quite disappointed with it!

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

I thought I had found nirvana when I tried Irish Oak and Sherlock Holmes. I was not fully prepared for the surprise in Old Dublin. I have to say it is the best tobaccoblend I have tried to date. O.D. was a bit too moist in the tin, so I let it air for about 2 hours,and then loaded it into my favorite Peterson pipe and lit up. Very easy to light, Old Dublin burned very well to the end of the bowl with only a tamp or 2. A very well-mannered blend, no one tobacco took center stage, but all melded together to produce a very relaxing, if I can use that word, very good tasting smoke with absolutely NO tongue bite, no bitterness at all, and a clean, dry pipe. (And the need to grab another pipe, fill it with Old Dublin, and enjoy it again. I would recommend Old Dublin to any pipe smoker, from the experienced English blend lover to one who just purchased his first pipe. Wonderful blend, and a permanent place high in my rotation list.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

I love this- Though its a bit pricey and can (for me) be hard to get unless your buying on internet. One of the best englishes you can get. Primo latakia, Virginias and Orientals give great body, with the cav filling in the gaps. To me this is very much the grown up brother to Frog on the Town, the balsma in this makes it very distict and wonderful. Highly recomended.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Recently tried the new batch from the new blending house which I suspect is Danish... It is close, but the original is much smoother and fuller. Maybe age has something to do with it. I will look for old tins of this, but more than likely will not be purchasing the new tins...

Original Review:

To be respectful of the "Irish", I won't call this an english blend. Its "geographical" influence is noticable though. There is nothing in this blend that is outstanding for this genre, but is what I would call an "old faithful" blend. It smokes well in any pipe, especially Peterson's. It has a good medium complex flavor. I find that it leaves a very pleasant aftertaste in the mouth. It is smooth enough to smoke all day. In SoCal where I work and live, you can find this in just about every tobacco shop for a very reasonable price (6.95-8.95 a 50 mg. tin). So if you are in doubt what to buy, this is a trustworthy blend. It could be compared to Germain's "King Charles", but with a little more complexity. Enjoy....

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As I smoke a bowl of this while writing this review, I appreciate the fragrance of this tobacco- pinecones and cactus juice with a faint stain of berry jam.

It is a good break now and then from the latakia, burley, VA/Periques. It's best when I open up my cabinets with no idea of what I am going to smoke. I pour over the labels of the mason jars and make my selection.

It's flavorable. It's easy. It's alright.

I won't buy a second tin, however.

At first light it had promise of being quite the tobacco. Now I suspect some insidious alchemical process is in place to hide and redistribute Patrician waste.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

With all the negative sentiment going on these days about tobacco use, I might in-appropriately kick off my review with a little something Mr. Churchill said:

"I suppose if I had to relive my life I ought to eschew the habit of smoking. Look at all the money I have wasted on tobacco. Think of it all invested and mounting up at compound interest year after year....But consider! How can I tell that the soothing influence of tobacco upon my nervous system may not have enabled me to comport myself with calm and with courtesy in some awkward personal encounter or negotiation, or carried me serenely through some critical hours of anxious waiting? How can I tell that my temper would have been as sweet or my companionship as agreeable if I had abjured from my youth the goddess Nicotine?"

It was a very rough time indeed. Nations lead by tobacco users against a Nation lead by an anti-tobacco idealist. Many lives were lost on both sides of the fence. If we can learn anything from history, it would be so obvious the enemy of civilization is prejudice. And friends of civilization are tolerance and understanding. Since now all Peterson?s line is made by new company, it is hard for me not to compare the old new versions. And sometime the result is unfair since every product should be judge by its own merits. But for this one, I am without prejudice, as I had never had the chance to taste the old version. To me it is completely new. Old Dublin is an obvious Latakia blend. It is like a timid and well-mannered Englishmen. It is a young tobacco and freshness is a good word to describe it. The sweetness of the oriental and/or virginias is really sweet. But the spice of the Lakatia seems to lack the punch to satisfy hard core old school Latakia pipers. It is a mild blend but with enough flavors to be cataglorized as interesting. It is very good for aromatic pipers who are curious about the mystical ?English?. According to my habit, I find it hard to smoke English blend all day but this one, I can and actually had done so.

One note is that when a fresh tin is open, it feels to the touch that it is dry enough to smoke right away. But this was not the case. To produce a nice thick smoke, I had to leave the can open for 10 hours to dry.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (72)

It seems that I have come across another popular one. I sometimes like to put in my two cents on rather more obscure blends. There's less competition that way.

I can see why this is a tobacco so often reviewed. It is one of the better English blends I have had. Perhaps the note of black Cavendish would qualify this as a Scottish blend, though this component did not really seem to influence the overall flavor. The two things I enjoy about Old Dublin is its having a goodly amount of Oriental leaf, which I see as the key to a good English, so to balance out the Latakia; then there is the fact that this is an over all balanced and medium weight mixture, which is what I believe an English was originally intended to be. In the classic examples of English blends which defined the genre, an abundance of strength, which to many means an excess of Latakia, was never the intention. Rather, they were meant to be a blend, with a variety of flavors working together toward the end of true and subtle enjoyment. There is nothing wrong with good old British reserve and good form. Old Dublin truly exemplifies these qualities.

Regards, A. Morley Jaques

prinakis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prinakis (13)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

This one is for those who don't need a full latakia taste, there's some but it's not the principal arome. Enough complex to remember it, a tobacco to have at home, after diner.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Nothing exceptional - the only thing that get it more than one star is the Basma. It plays well.

Very much middle-of-the=road. Maybe a bit too balanced. It's just there.

If you aren't into the nuances and complexity of some other blends, try this.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I came to this blend for a transition. I'm a burley (non-aromatic) smoker, but wanted an english that I might keep on hand. This is definitely NOT one of those english blends that grabs you by the lapels and shakes you; it's more a middle of the road, soft and mild blend that smokes like a dream. I'm on my third tin and I'm enjoying this more and more. It loads and lights easily, smokes evenly throughout the bowl without any suprises or letdown at the end. It leaves very little dottle and a dry pipe. It's my staple for after breakfast. If you crave the "big" latakia taste, this won't do it. If you wish for something more low key and of good quality, this fills the bill.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

This is my second favorite of the "english" blends after Sqadron Leader some may not consider it a true english blend however I feel it is still very much in that category.It just has a different more midle of the road feel. Midle of the road for me is good. I think it is a good regular. I have tried this in two ways, first a very aged tin ( the thing was rusty ) this was smooth and very well blended taste a real pleasure. And a new tin. The new tin is a bit sharper not as blended and soft but still quite good. I have found that getting a stock of tins and letting them age for a lesser amount of time will obtain very close results to the first very aged tin as long as care is taken to not keep it in a cool but not too cold place place. I like this kind of softer cool english blend it is a nice companion for working or thinking. It is clean feeling and smokey.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Wow - a shot in the dark on a sample pass. I was pleasantly surprised by this Irish entry in the world of medium "English" blends.

I barely detect any flavoring or enhancement - lending only the slightest fragrance and sweetness to the naturally good oriental and Basma leaves.

This blend has an extremely nice arrangement of flavor: nothing ever really predominates over the other ingredients. All tobaccos work to accessorize each other - not fight it out for dominance.

My age and dried sample burned evenly and slowly once it got going. The flavors are mostly the nutty backbone associated with English blends, occasionally peaked by tangy and sweet notes. The second third of the bowl lets on a slightly evergreen flavor and aroma - an unexpected and welcome addition before the much denser and stronger oriental/latakia flavors towards the finish.

Did more for me than either 965 or London Mixture (my other favorite in the middle english category)...none of the ashy taste or over the top nicotine that sometimes comes with Dunhill products. I believe this can also hold its own against Margate or Durbar - slightly less complex than those blends but varied and flavorful in a different way. A bit more sophisticated tasting than the few Gawith latakia blends I've tasted.

This will be an Emerald treat to return to for sure.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend just didn't have enough horsepower to satisfy my craving for a robust English blend. It may be nice for a first pipe of the day smoke, but if you like full-English I doubt if Old Dublin will do it for ya. As with other Peterson blends, the leaf is of good quality. I guess this is Peterson's attempt at recreating Dunhill's 965, based on its ingredients. I bought a tin of this stuff because its description was so close to that of 965. Lesson learned, I'll stick with 965 and Nightcap.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

I've been wanting to migrate from Aromatics and straight Cavendish blends to medium/full English blends with Latakia for some time. I've always liked the aroma of Latikia when others are smoking them, so after reading the reviews here on Old Dublin, it seemed there was no time like the present to just do it.

Wow..am I glad I tried this. Upon opening the tin, the aroma of the latakia came through the cavendish and orientals. The moisture level was just like I like it, not to wet or dry, just right. The chopped ribbons loaded easy and burned cool. The Latakia flavor is distinct, but, I could also taste the Cavendish and VA. The flavor was very tasty and complex. The aftertaste was great as well.

This blend impressed and convinced me to try other Latakia blends. So, until my tins of Bufflehead Pintail, Esoterica Penzance, Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader and G.L.Pease Renaissance get here, Old Dublin will do just fine as my everyday smoke

Florida Esquire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Florida Esquire (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I think many other astute reviewers have hit the nail squarely on the head with this tobacco when they say that while on the whole it is not necessarily a bad tobacco, it simply does not stand out in any manner that would make you want to come back to it. That certainly is the case when one considers the vast amounts of alternatives out there, and the even larger amounts of superior alternatives available at that.

So, bottom line, is it a bad blend? Not at all. It's good and very typical of what you'd expect in this sort of vein. Although I generally avoid most Peterson products, given the right circumstances, I will smoke this from time to time. The recommendation is truly somewhere between, "will not keep it on hand" and "will smoke it from time to time - only when given to me or when struck by instances of nostalgia."

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

September 2004

I must respectfully disagree with all of the previous reviewers who have labeled this blend "dull," "boring," "middle-of-the-road," etc.

I found OD to be an exceptionally well-balanced blend of latakia, virginia and oriental tobaccos, with no single varietal dominating, but rather, all working perfectly together. To me, this is what pipe tobacco blending is all about, and to me OD rivals the Pease belnds in that arena. The only reason I did not rate it four stars, in fact, is that I find the Pease latakia blends just a little more interesting. Also, I agree with one of the previous reviewers who observed that the complexity of OD's flavor tends to level off after about the first half to two-thirds of the bowl. Nonethless, I think this is a terrific blend--my only real complaint is that I had some difficulty keeping it lit. Although it doesn't have the latakia punch of some of the Dunhill blends, it provides a nice, interesting alternative. Recommended.

By the by, does anyone know how a "Peterson" ended up manufacturing pipe tobacco in Ireland???

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)

A good, often-overlooked middle of the road English blend. Much heavier on the Virginias than on the Latakia, but I rarely had an issue with it biting. A solid, reasonably priced, all-day blend, though not the one you find yourself reaching for when you want a really nice meditative or relaxing-at-the-end-of-the-day smoke.

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Some compare this with 965. In my opinion these tobacco's are completly different, however there is some likeness. I think that is the Latakia. OD is more "full" than 965 I think. Lights well, burns good and I love the smell of it. My wife does not like the smell very much. She does like 965! So she also smells the difference. I like this tobacco very much!

Stubert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stubert (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Finally after a bomb and a near miss, a Peterson blend I really like. This is a good medium-strength English blend with a nice toasty zing to it. Compared to the Dunhill blends, the quality of the leaf is similar, with a similar ribbon cut and similar presentation, tightly packed in a ruffly wax-paper cup inside the tin. It also has similar burning characteristics. The coloration is your standard English looking mixture of light Virginia leaf, medium olive-brown Oriental, and the black strands of Latakia and in this case some black cavendish. Whereas the Dunhill blends often tend toward the slightly tangy-- perhaps due to their particular Oriental component, or perhaps because of some lemon in the Virginias--- Peterson?s Old Dublin is more on the nutty, toasty side, slightly sweet but also peppery. The smoke is not perhaps as full-bodied as, say, Dunhill?s London Mixture, and towards the bottom of the bowl the taste does get a little bitter and ashy (though this may depend on the quality of the pipe in which it's smoked), but all in all it?s a nice quality midrange English blend that?s got no major strikes against it. I?ve had better English blends, but if I had only one tobacco I wouldn?t be put off if Old Dublin were it. Good with a pint of my favorite Irish beer, Guiness Pub Draft (either on tap or from the can).

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)

A lighter Latakia blend, thoroughly enjoyable, particularly if its too hot a day for a fuller English mixture to be enjoyable. The tin aroma is a campfire smokiness, with a spicy note, very pleasant. It lights easily has an enjoyable, quite complex flavour, all of the ingredients are carefully balanced, and the aroma is light and spicy. It contains a bit more virginia than most tobaccos of this sort, which aids lighting and gives it a pleasant background sweetness. It may be a little on the moist side when new, but allowing it to air for a while cures this, and allows it to burn very completely, leaving a fine white ash. I would recommend this to pipesmokers keen to try out an English mixture, as it is not as overwhelming as some of its relatives, but displays all the complexities that these blends can have.

Sean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sean (1)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice blend. Very noticeable progression through the bowl of a natural sweetness of a nutty earth toned quality. Extraordinary finish of the last third of the bowl. Very well rounded flavors...good blending of tobaccos. The Latakia does not dominate(like a guitar soloist gone awry) as in many Latakia themed blends. All the flavors begin and end well making a harmonious unique statement on the palate that sets this blend apart as an excellent tobacco creation. I find this a good, all day smoke. Not too heavy and with a unique,high quality tase experience to offer.

tslots Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tslots (8)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I've triend this for awhile now in a variety of large and small pipes and must say that I like all aspects of this tobacco. The color spans the spectrum from light brown to black ... it is fairly well chopped up which makes pipe loading easy, yet it does not burn excessively hot ... the tin aroma is great with a nice dose of Latakia coming through the sweeter Black Cavendish and Orientals ... it burns well and does not contain excessive moisture ... and it leaves me with a very pleasent aftertaste.

Nojoqui Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nojoqui (28)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Old Dublin is an even mixture of light and dark ribbons for the most part of the tobaccos listed in the discription. It seems to be slightly musty smelling on opening the tin. It chars up easily enough, but the top taste is not too exciting. None of the tobaccos stand out at this point. OD does produce a fair amount of smoke, but not so much as something like Balkan Sasieni, or some of the other English blends. Around mid bowl the stuff hands you a little more flavor. At this point I can taste the Latakia, with a hint of the Basma and Golden Virgina coming through. I can even get a slight bit of a cigar like taste for some reason, but nothing so pronounced as Billy Budd or Old Joe Krantz. By the bottom all things improve greatly. The sweetness of Virgina and Basma amke their presence known, and Old Dublin settles down to a delightfully nice smoke. I'd like to see more of this throughout the bowl. However, the great taste at the bottom saves this tobacco from being discarded. OD can serve as a nice early day pipe because it is reasonably mild. I've found that two consecutive bowls are a wonderful experience that is difficult for any competition. But, many other English blends give me a more resolute experience in just one bowl. My Mixture 965 is one that comes to mind for that. I will continue to buy this stuff because it can serve me as an all day smoke if I want to, or something to finish the day if I want to smoke more than one bowl of it.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I find this to be a somewhat good middle of the road english blend. It smokes fairly cool and even. The problem I have with this blend is that it just does not stand out to me with all of the other realy good english blends that I've had. While not bad, it is not a blend im going to smoke when I have what I consider much better english blends available to me. Worth a try though.

Peaches O'Malley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peaches O'Malley (10)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This was one of me first real english blends, and I'm glad that it was. Tis a fine smoke by all accounts, just the right amount of lovely latakia for this Irish lad. Smokes full and clean to the bottom of the bowl and leaves a satisfied smile on me face. Most of me favorite Scottish/English blends will draw scorn from me wife(the fine Irish lass that she is), but not OD! This is me favorite tobacco from me friends at Peterson. Highly recommended.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Appearance: Nicely assorted mix of light to dark colors, in a medium width ribbon cut. Moisture content about average. Did not retain moisture long, ergo no PG.

Aroma: Excellent nose. A noticeable fermented sweetness from the Virginias, nutty spiciness from the Oriental (maybe Basma), and an ample smokiness from the Latakia (Cyprian of course).

Packing: The ribbons pack easily in any pipe from group 3 through group 6. No particular care needed to get a uniform pack from smoke to smoke.

Lighting: Lighting was relatively easy, occasionally one match was enough.

Initial flavor: All the flavors jump right up and almost shout for attention, sometimes all at once, sometimes one at a time. Nice medium to slightly full English/Oriental flavor and good complexity. Good balance of Virginia sweetness, with the Orientals and Latakia.

Mid-bowl: The blend settles down nicely into a well behaved flavor with regular nuances as one of the components dominates for a moment. Cool and mellow on the palate, unless dramatically over-puffed. No gurgle unless smoked too hot.

Finish: Burns cleanly to a gray-white ash, with little intensification of flavor. Little or no increase in harshness at the end.

Summary: Another lovely English blend to add to your cellar. Definitely recommended for the guy who is not a Latakia junkie, but who likes good balance.

Brotherblue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brotherblue (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I've enjoyed a few bowls of this from my friend's tin on a few occasions. This is a good starter for those who want to ease into an English blend without getting the cold sweats like with a stronger English. The usual botanical, pine forest flavor and smell resonate around you, but not as pungent as a stock English.

This is a good tobacco that, despite my recommendation, I might buy a tin of in the future if I ever feel like a toned-down version of my 965.

Definitely worth a try--a fine initiation into the world of English tobacco.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is Peterson's best blend IMO. The excellent black cavendish gives this run of the mill Scottish blend a nice rich boost. The flavoring, although very subtle, almost remided me of the way a pumpkin spice candle smells. The Latakia is not as heavy as some blends, but definitely makes its presence known. I enjoyed this with a pint of Beamish Stout, and felt very Irish indeed! With no bite and no Latakia slap in the face, I think this would be a good beginner's introduction to Scottish blends.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Peterson's Old Dublin is, by the estimation of the previous reviewers, a "middle-of-the-road" English blend. I would agree, but hasten to add the adjective "good" in there as well. There are a lot of middle-of-the-road english blends, and some do it a lot better than others. OD is one of the better.

As to the cavendish, if I had my druthers, I'd have left it out and put in more latakia instead. However, this would then be a different blend...

A couple of comments on this blend. For the first five minutes or so of each bowl, the smoke seems to lack body. Kind of, er, watery, like FrogMorton before it is dried out. If it stayed like this, I would have trouble maintaining interest. The body builds as the bowl progresses, and the Va contribution comes to the fore. The orientals never seem to really grab hold, remaining in the background.

So why do I say it is a "good" middle-of-the-road English? Because it seems well balanced and offers just enough complexity to keep me interested. And it is predictable. Maybe not the qualities you would prize in a good spouse so much as you would in a good dog.

One other note: I find that this blend seems to have a strong nicotine content- but perhaps that is because I often smoke OD while puttering around the homestead and tend to inhale a good bit more sidestream smoke...

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

A mild form of Crown Achievement: sweetish, tasty and smoky, but a bit on the goopy and moist side. Other than that, a very nice introduction to Latakia & Cavendish mixtures, quite torelable for the non smoker and quite rich in taste.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)

I enjoy Old Dublin. I smoke it in a huge Peterson, with a pint of Stout for the quintessential Irish experience. Yes, it appears to be an English blend. No, it won't replace 965. Smokes cool, when not rushing and provides enough nicotine to keep me enthused. I believe this was the first Peterson blend I ever tried, and I admit I did find the black cavendish to be somewhat off-putting at first, however now I feel it gives an overtone of balance to the orientals and latakia. An excellent introductory "English", especially for those who don't find Frog Morton very exciting.

bumbum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bumbum (20)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

A sound tobacco, cosisting of Latakia, Virginia, Cavendish, Latakia, Greek Oriental, and, maybe, a tiny dash of Perique. For a pipe-smoker who prefers tobaccos with a lot of Perique in them (as I do), I consider this tobacco harmless, but very fragrant. In the other end of the scale of strength of the traditional English mixture types you findd "Blue Queen", which I definiteely prefer to "Old Dublin".

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (36)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Once again, I am no fan of Latakia. However, this is one truly exceptional smoke! The Cavendish and Virginias take definite backseat to the woodsy, peaty flavor and aroma of the Latakia. A big aromatic and Cavendish fan, this could almost turn me into a convert.

This tastes like, well, tobacco. Moreover, it tastes like what tobacco should taste like. It burns clean, tastes terrific, does not bite and smells "yummy" (wife rating) in the room. There is no real downside to Old Dublin. An all-around winner!

For someone who keeps Mac Baren Vanilla Cream on hand as a favorite, I highly recommend this blend, and that's saying alot.

Spuds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spuds (14)

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by the aroma of latakia with the oriental and basma adding a bit of spice that I couldn?t wait to try!

On first light, I met a strong taste with all the components of the blend boldly announcing their presence. At first, I didn?t like it, but after a couple of bowls, I decided to give it a more serious try. By taking it easy with long, slow puffs, I was rewarded for the effort by finding a tobacco I enjoy. There are nuances to this tobacco that, for me, required a nice, quiet place outdoors in which to contemplate the interplay of this blend. There is a point, somewhere during the middle of the bowl, where Heaven meets Earth for just two puffs.

Later in the bowl, this blend seems to mellow with the latakia smoothing and rounding the flavor. The finish leaves my mouth feeling sort of ?relaxed? in a way that is hard to describe. I always end up wanting more the next day.

As the tin ages, OD seems to become smoother, loosing that blast I noticed with the first several bowls. Although, the great contrasts found in a fresh tin diminish, I still enjoy it. I plan on using a sealed jar on my next tin to preserve the freshness as long as possible.

Wife Rating: No complaints.

Shagrat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shagrat (4)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I find the mix of reviews on this quite wonderful. While I enjoy some heavy Latakia once and awhile, OD is rather clean,thanks to the Virgina and Basma in it. There is enough Latakia to give you the impression that Seamus just tossed another lump of peat on the fire, but not enough to drive you out of the house. One of the reviewers described this as middle-of-the-road. Sometimes the middle is a good place to be, and OD is solidly in the middle. It packs well in just about any pipe you put it into. It tamps just fine, not too wet, burns fairly cool, and seems to get better in the tin as time goes by. When you can't decide exactly what to take to work with you, or on a trip, Old Dublin is a good travelling companion - neither offensive nor meek.

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Old Dublin is a blend that seems to smoke down to achieve a sort of equilibrium between all its components. The quality of these components is very high. The ribbon cut is consistent without a bunch of stray trash and this lends to a nice cool burn. On opening the tin, moisture content is appropriate and both visual and olfactory differentiation of each component is quite easy.

The leprechauns who must make OD use the virginia and TC as a canvas to display the subtle sweetness of the oriental and the smokiness of the latakia, which hang in the room with delicious abundance and take this writer over the hills and far away - but the spell lasts only for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the bowl. Then the magic is over. Still, it is no struggle to the bottom of the bowl - the burn is predictable and there's no gurgling or drama... just a sense that the party's over. And a fine gray ash.

I enjoy the rush at he front end so much I don't mind the boredom that ensues. I would recommend OD to anybody wanting to try an (Irish) English blend for the first time, or a burley smoker wanting to take a holiday.

Respectfully submitted 1/17/03.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

A nice overall change of pace blend. Nothing really exciting. Some decent taste, a mild to medium room note. I find it to be a "working" smoke, for when one is puttering around the workshop, or doing yard work. You know it is there, it is pleasant, yet unobtrusive. This is not one of my sit-back and experience it blends. O.K.

ngandhi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ngandhi (7)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For those who prefer strong English mixtures like Durbar, this might not be your cup of tea. However, Durbar is my favorite English and I must say the Old Dublin can hold its own.

The flavor is very complex, but still subtle because, unlike many "complex" tobaccos, this isn't overwhelmed with latakia. I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'd guess 30% latakia on this mixture. The orientals, Basma, and Cavendish are all noticeable in this smoke, but do not overpower the mixture with an overpowering sweetness. There are in the background and, though probably low in percentage, the smokiness of the latakia is predominant. There is a delicate harmony between the wide variety of leaves in this tobacco.

I don't usually go for Peterson tobaccos (the pipes are, of course, a different story), but I must say that every English smoker must have at least one tin of Old Dublin around. It's well made, seems to be aged wonderfully in the tin, and is an ideal first smoke.

Recommended. Especially to new smokers.

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

If your tastes in tobacco are middle of the road, then you will like this tobacco.

Take a good quality, but uninspiring virginia tobacco, add a bit of Latakia for some body and some cavendish for some aroma and there you go. You end up with a fairly middle of the road tobacco that should suit most tastes.

The problem with this is that it is boring, very boring. There isn't enought Latakia to satisfy the Lakaia lover, nor enough cavendish for the cavendish lover and the virginia is just plain dull.

It's not a bad tobacco, far from you can tell the ingedients are good quality, I just think that the blenders have made the mistake of trying to create a tobacco to suit multiple tatses and I don't think that is possible.

In it favour is it's cool burning and very mild nature. The tin insert suggests it would be a good beginners tobacco, that I would agree with, but there is little to keep the interest of an experienced pipe smoker.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Another player in the English mixture category. This is a good tobacco, well cut and blended, but there is nothing to separate it from the field. In my experience of trying around 30 different English mixtures in the last year, this just does not stand out in any way. I'd bet that at least half the blends I tried fall into this category that all taste alike. Worth a try though.

Pork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pork (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

Old Dublin was offered to me by a trusted friend. He favors Peterson pipes and enjoys Peterson Blends. So I?ll call him ?Peterpuffer?.

In short, Peterpuffer?s still a trusted friend.

Old Dublin is very much a quintessential English blend. If you consider Squadron Leader a mild English and Balkan Sobranie (the original... not the present analogues) strong, then you would find Old Dublin right in the middle. It lacks the ?Macedonian? flavor of S.L. & B.S., which brings out some of the Virginia?s natural sweetness.

My only complaint is that this blend gains strength near the bottom of the bowl - I experienced quite a nicotine rush.

Other than that, it?s a pleasing smoke. Peterpuffer?s redeemed himself after the unfortunate Grousemoor experience he subjected me to.

Now this is a tobacco sort of like kissing your sister...not an unpleasant experience, but it certainly won't excite you. The latakia is there, the virginia is there, the unsweetened black cavandish is there. The mix of the three is not threatening at all, and you will finish a bowl happily.

If there is one drawback to this blend, it is that it is just plain unexceptional. If you find yourself wanting a bit of latakia--but not a lot--here you go!

father_brian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
father_brian (12)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Overall, Old Dublin isn't bad, I just dislike the taste of cavendish, which is too noticable for my taste. Otherwise, OD is quite mild, smokes smoothly with no bite and has a rather pleasant aroma for an English.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (30)

Enjoyable smoke. Good in flavor and strength. Smoked well with no tongue bite. Wife didn't enjoyed room note. Would buy again but better English blends out there.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

I must say that this is one of Peterson"s better blends. The components come together to form a very nice blend. It comes out of the tin with a moisture level that is very good, not too dry nor too wet. It lights and stays lit very easily. It burns nicely to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl. Highly recommended for any who likes a nice middle of the road English.

insnekamkze86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
insnekamkze86 (2)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I really wanted to like this tobacco but could and and only had two bowls but it tastes to much like a camel Turkish gold cigarette very terrible. It is a mild tobacco blend and if one is afraid of English blends this one would a good one to start on but only if you like the taste of the turkish tobacco. I would advise for thwm to try artisans blend from astonishing in.stead has a vwry nice taste and is a better blend in my mine and isn't overpowering and the Turkish is only somewhat present instead of being overpowering.

When you open the tin you automatically smell the latakia and when you light up you can taste it, but after that and its fully lit all you can taste is the turkish tobacco, and the Virginia is nowhere to be found if it was it might help this blend out a lot. It give you tongue bite a lot throughout the smoke. It does burn somewhat cool like the tin says but not all the time. I have smoke it three different pipe and all three tasted the same. One was a Mr brog churchwarden, a Peterson system 309 and a cheap roma pipe. The churchwarden didn't bite as much as it did in the other two pipe probably because its a churchwarden and it produces a cooler smoke. So I think it burns the best in a churchwarden because in other pipes it burns to quick and bites harshly.

I was very disappointed because their pipes are awesome and and believed that their tobacco would be that way too and so far its not. If i can find someone to trade me tins for something else I'm either going to toss it or let it be for a while and I'm not in a patient mood for wait. Another reason why I was very disappointed because I smoke captain black which isnt good tobacco but tasted better and was more enjoyable th an this old dublin blend. I would give it 2 stars out of 4 there are better tobaccos out there for the price.

Pros: Smells great in the tin. Packs easy and burn great when fully lit

Cons: Smell like cigarettes and tastes like cigarettes while smoking it Seams like it burns to quickly if not carefull with it And bites the tongue harshly at times

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

As a fan of old Dublin itself -- and of English blends in general -- I really wanted to like this. But this one-year-old tin left me wanting much more.

Acceptable English flavor, but quite smokey and thin-bodied. As a result, I ended up tossing most of the tin -- something I only very rarely do.

Pipes530 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipes530 (8)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Absolutely WRETCHED!! Not worth writing about & into the TRASH CAN!

LostInDaJungle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LostInDaJungle (13)
Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Old Dublin.... How can you not get sucked in by a name like that?

So, I picked up a tin of this along with my usual supply of English. The smell upon opening the tin could best be described as gross. As mentioned earlier, a smell of sour loam and pine needles. The tobacco was very damp, so I fluffed it, gagged a little, and closed it up again. A week later when my curiosity/courage was back up, I tried again.

The "smell" had lost alot of it's mildewy dampness, and while not palatable, was at least not off-putting. I packed it up, lit it up and thought, "Hmmm, kinda nice." Then it went out. Long story short, if it stayed lit at all, the pipe gurgled like a cheap ventriloquist.

So, it got the overnight treatment in a brown paper bag. The drier tobacco didn't smoke much better. It was still hot, wet, and sour. After a full bowl I had a very sour "swampy" taste in my throat.

The smoke had a traditional English spiciness, but the usual "peat" taste had a very sour "bog" like quality to it. On top of it there was a very weird umm, pine(?)/anis flavor that stuck in my throat. It even survived drinking coffee to get rid of it. The flavor, while strong, was unchanging and boring. When the bowl was done, I was glad.

It wasn't absolutely terrible, and some cellaring and rubbing could help alot most likely, but not a recommended English with it being the same price as many finer blends.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Mild None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

You will be a truly fortunate son (or daughter) if you can find this blend in a tin that looks like the one pictured above. The tin I bought has a Royal Blue and white sticker on the top, indicating, among other things, that this is now blended by Orlik, rather than Stokebey. Peter, R.I.P.

Though popping the tin will remind one of the old London Blend by Dunhill, this blend ain't no Maxwell House. It tastes awful! Another reviewer likened the Turkish in this mixture to a Camel cigarette. He was spot-on but he did not go far enough. The Latakia was bought on the cheap, as well. All-in-all, if one would take a pack of Camels, soak them in creosote, let dry, shred and place in a vacuum sealed can...well, you'd do better than this abomination.

mr_b76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr_b76 (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

I found this blend to be extremely boring. There was nothing to it. I gave up on it 3/4 of the way through the bowl. I put it in storage and will come back to it in a couple years. Hopefully aging it will prove to be helpful to this blend.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

For the price you pay it (at least here in Italy) you would deserve a much better tobacco. This is watery, very average, I could number dozens of better and lower-priced tobaccos on the market. Really a disappointment.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)

Old Dublin is a curious Irish weed. This is the first Peterson tobacco that I have tried (and it may be the last). In smoking, it starts off mild and rather pleasant. Shortly, it starts to have a sour aftertaste. By the middle of the bowl it gets creamy, but finishes overpoweringly peppery. The bottom of the bowl reminds me of smoking a maduro cigar. If you like perique in your blends, this might be for you. Perique is not listed in the blend, but Old Dublin had me sneezing as if I had smoked a peppermill. I do not plan on grinding this Sallynoggin blarney in my pipe again.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Dull! Like Highland Targe and Celebrated Sovereign (but slightly worse), I find this to be a light english mixture which lacks in taste and gives me no satisfaction. It is steamy, bland and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather smoke cigarettes than this tobacco! Really, this is a very undistinguished mixture that resembles many others and is surpassed by even more! It can improve if left to dry a bit, but dont expect much anyway. And since it costs more than Dunhills here in Italy, I really have no doubt: I'll avoid it like the plague!