Toasted Cavendish is laced with Mountain Latakia, then blended with White Burley and Golden Virginia to produce a sweet, fuller-bodied smoke, yet cool and slow burning.

BrandLane Limited
Blended ByLane Limited
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste

2.7
Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)

This blend was no different from other Lane blends in that at first they are somewhat unremarkable, then, when you hit the zone, the become enjoyable for a while and finally, half way down your pouch they become sickening.

I enjoyed this blend at first but I couldn't finish smoking the few Oz. I bought. After some time all you can taste is PG, simply put the more you smoke it the less you like it.

Some people will probably call me crazy and to be honest they might be right, how can I expect a cheap blend to be good? at 18 bucks per pound it's a no brainer. However, there are other blends in the same price range that are actually quite enjoyable (as in Peter Stokkebye's).

The bottom line is: If you've tried one of Lane's blends you have tried them all; they are all rough, they all taste the same, and they all have the cheapest leaf with tons of PG.

dfrozendog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dfrozendog (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Ahhh, HGL. Close to a decade ago I found HGL. I liked the way it packed, smoked, there was nothing negative about it. It was what I looked forward to smoking, unlike anything ever before or since. It had lat, but as a condiment, not out front. There, but not out front. All the tobacco's blended well in a harmony with a caramel/vanilla flavor that only Lane can do. My all time favorite. Then suddenly it was gone... I searched the phone book and the net for people that might just have some left, but no. Any traveling I was looking up shops along the way. Argh! This went on a long time,years. After a while copies started showing up. Some were close but none really had it, I mean really had it. As the corporate changes took place rumor had it it might come back. When it did I bought a pound, cleaned my favorite pipe and started. The cut is not the same. Nor is the flavor. The lat is stronger, which a lot of people will like. It is still mild.The tobacco blend is OK but the Lane caramel/vanilla is completely missing. A great big letdown for me. A big empty spot in the over all flavor. That being said, I have been smoking it, enjoying it for what it is and it is not bad. I will by more when this is gone. Lane if you are listening, tweak it a little. Find out what the old topping was and ad a little then use slightly less lat. You'll sell more of it and make an old fart alot more happy.

Pipe Used: Grabow (old) w/metal filter

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

this is a mild English (and the only one offered by lane for that matter). it is obvious that a veteran pipe smoker/blender like Mr.Lane would choose something other than 1Q I believe. that being said, it is for those who seek mild all day non aromatic or those who would love to venture into the world of latakia. it is barely there to make stand out as an English yet not over sickening when it comes to proportions. latakia is present in the taste however burly is the dominant player. it takes the fire very well and burns relatively slower than other English blends (perhaps the lane usual humidity character was introduced to this mix as well) yet it burns to even ash with no/minimum dottles depend on how fast you smoke it. there is no point of describing the room note as you may know that most natural and defiantly English style blends are not intended to please the others. try it if you like a mild all day non aromatic or you want something with enough strength to start your day

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

A little trivia HGL stands for Herman G Lane the President of Lane LTD at the time! His own personal blend he smoked at Lane Ltd back in the good old days. Where we would sneak it into our Tinder Box back in the 70's (smoking Lane tobacco's was frowned upon except 1Q and RLP-6 aka...Wilshire and Chartwell) which we carried in tubs, it was a great time back then. Maybe because we were breaking the tobacco rules at that time :) HGL was always a favorite of mine as well as RLP-6, I could go on and on with the stories but I won't. This is a light Latakia blend(think Chartwell with Latakia) that I continued smoking for many years and I'm going to miss it. It always had a good flavor and smoked dry leaving a medium gray ash. I hope someone come's up with a good replacement! I find FMOTT seems to come close!

UPDATE:........It's back! Just received my order of tobacco's today and the first one I smoked was HGL! I huffed the bag and it took me back to 70's (see above) I lit it up and and had a bowl in 00 Savinelli Autograph. It was just as I remembered a very nice blend and one of the first mass crossover blends. It smoked dry and to the bottom and left a fine white ash. Are their better blends now? Yep sure are, but there is no price for nostalgia and a great crossover. The quality of the leaf seems to have changed slightly, but that could be my memory as well the taste and aroma were the same. It's a must try and one I will surely have on hand at all times. Also, not trying to upset you WillardFan but RLP-6 is the base for this blend. I know for a fact as I worked very close with the Lane Reps back in the day. At that time they were the suppliers for Charatan, Ben Wade, Parker, Dunhill and Preben Holm pipes as well as the Dunhill tobacco's both bulk and tinned. They also supplied us with Wilshire and Chartwell. The Lane rep was the one who supplied us with our personal stash of HGL which we bought out of the trunk of his car in 5 lb bags and split it with each other. As I said before (miss the good old days) and man I wish I had some rolls of Dunhill's Baby's Bottom now :(

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

i found this blend to be "ok" but I wasn't truly impressed by it. It is a bit lighter on the latakia than I would prefer. The virginias provide some sweetness but they bring their bite with it at about mid bowl. I'll keep what I have on hand for an occasional bowl, but I won't buy anymore of it. A far better choice for a "crossover" blend is Just For Him's "Shortcut to Mushrooms" by former tobaconist Bob Shafer.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Two years ago, Smokeasaurus accurately described this tobacco. Almost an aromatic. If you are looking for an English blend, don't try this. I recommend this to aromatic smokers who want an introduction to the world of latakia. HGL accomplished this task for me, and I keep some around when I want an aromatic vanilla smoke. Think 1Q with some latakia. Be advised that this weed flavors pipes pretty quickly.

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (5)

A reading of the reviews for HGL falls into two camps, perhaps three. The first are a number of Latakia heads. Now mind you, Latakia tobaccos are indeed condiments, but not for these smokeheads. Those of you who have or are aware of blending whisky know that a smokey profile like the great single malts of Islay, eg Laphroig 10 year is indeed an acquired taste for those few that enjoy being powered over by this sensation. But the blendmasters of great blended whisky know that it doesn't take much more than a tiny bit to greatly affect the blend.

The same is true in blending tobacco. Some might advise that it takes little more than a touch - say 3 to 5% of a Latakia to achieve the goal of adding a pleasant smokey overtone or background, not the 30 to 50% that the Latakia smokeheads demand, or that they critique this HGL for lacking.

Let's add a third group - those who know what's really in HGL. They know because they were long time buyers with a close relationship with their Lane rep, and can say with some credibility that HGL is simply RLP-6 (great on it's own) with a nice touch of Latakia. They are exactly right.

Now the same can be said for the fervor which some like to attach to classifying this blend. Hey, it's not really an English they condescend, naw it's just a "crossover" or a light American transition blend. For noobs, you know. These attempts to impose classifications that are unclear in the first place is a losing and confusing battle.

Then there are those who found this well done Latakia blend just about right, and said so. Only slightly aromatic, and a well-balanced blend containing Latakia, Burley, Virgina and Cavendish.

In my opinion and experience, I'm going with a third group. These reviewers believe - with good reason - that this is RLP-6 with enough Latakia added to make itself known, but in lovely concert with the rest. It's not a Latakia bomb, and they are glad it isn't. The pouch tone is a smokey RLP, and the taste likewise. The Latakia addition means more attention to drying and re-lighting but within reason. It's just another step up in interest and compexity, a bit stronger, a bit tastier, and still retains that bit of flavoring/room aroma to remain pleasurable for all.

Lane became famous for their 1-Q, whose sales continue based more on momentum than actual taste. Their real stars - in order - are BCA, the HLP-6 and leading to HGL. This order is also a nice way to proceed, to find your own sweet spot. For those who don't like Latakia, the HLP-6 is a great place to call home, but for those who do - add the proper touch of Latakia and hang out with the HGL lovers.

Pipe Used: MM Cob - Eaton

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Similar Blends: MM American Patriot.

tamatoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tamatoker (6)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Good for the price, and good to have the change of pace.

the boss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the boss (6)

I MUST HAVE FRIED MY TASTEBUDS. I TASTE ZERO LATAKIA. THE DESCRIPTION SAYS LACED WITH LATAKIA. LACED EVIDENTLY MEANS SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT TO THE FOLKS AT LANE. AN OK TOBACCO.

jlinge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlinge (17)

A somewhat underwhelming blend, it is just about the last of Lane blends that contain any Latakia (they've discontinued most of the others such as Crown Achievement and BS005 Pure English). They seem to be concentrating on excessively aromatic stuff these days (goodbye Lane!). The Latakia is very restrained and tends to be lost in the sweetness which is a trifle dominant, and the finish is fairly biteless. I don't find anything to make it memorable except for its "baked cake" character.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is sold by my local tobacconist as Buckingham and I owe to it my love for latakia. Granted, the latakia is a bit weak in this blend compared to my other favored blends -- Penzance, 965, Nightcap-- but without this one, I would never have thought to move along.

The cavendish in HGL is not cloying and the burley just doesn't seem to be there, but I am not big on burleys to begin with-- it's my take it or leave it tobacco.

This one is as aromatic as I get, but unlike many others, it burns quite cool and leaves a neat little bit of dark grey ash.

The room note seems a bit vanilla-y and hence, my wife loves when i smoke this blend.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)

This is sold under many names in many places. It has a very easy going quality to it, a hint of Latakia and is incredibly easy to smoke, nearly biteless, with a nice underlying sweetness (casing) which I don't find cloying or too much. I would give it three stars but there is simply not enough taste or strength to keep my interest level up. If I smoked it all day, I'd go through 12 bowls ! I'll give it 2.5 stars.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

I tried this out because I wanted a burley to smoke while I was out camping and it had the most burley out of all the blends at the shop I went to. It got me through the weekend but I dont plan on smoking it again. This blend is just too heavy on the cavendish and while it burns well its sickly sweetness and unpleasant bite makes HGL an iffy blend at best. Definitely not the best aromatic or burley blend I've tried.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is RLP 6 with latakia added to it. If you have considered adding latakia to RLP 6 you might like this, although the latakia has a washout taste and is very weak. More of a crossover blend than anyting else. Not bad but certainely not a bellringer either.

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've smoked better and I've smoked worse. The Latakia in this blend is almost non-existant. In fact you can't find it most of the time, even when looking. I do find this to be bite free and absolutely non-tiring. You could easily smoke this all day if you needed something pleasant and boring. I personally like a little more Latakia in my aromatic English crossovers.

The Virginia is grassy and fairly nondescript. I barely get any nuttiness from the burleys, and the molasses flavor is light because the cavendish overtakes it. Light on the latakia, which is fine for those wanting just a little in their crossover English aromatic. Not a bad all day smoke, though it may leave you wanting a little more strength at times. Sutliff's Count Pulaski is a better entry in this field, so I can't give this more than two stars. If you're looking for a light English aro, it'll do, though it always leaves some moisture at the finish.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (83)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Lane's HGL presents as a range of colors from light to dark brown. The tobacco comes on the damp side, even after sitting in the tobacconist's jar for extended periods of time, suggesting a good dosing of PG. Pouch note is very pleasant: subtle vanilla, wrapped in gently applied, yet noticeable, smoky Latakia.

It should be stated that this is not an English blend, nor does it pretend to be. As such, those who smoke mainly English blends should not approach HGL as a light or mild English. HGL isn't even an aromatic English. HGL is what is best categorized as an American English: Primarily burley and flavored Cavendish with some Virginia and a dash of Latakia.

That said, HGL is an average American English. The vanilla is pleasant enough, and the Latakia is a light condiment touch. The flavors are well-balanced. This blend takes a match and performs well enough, despite being damp. It's just that the flavors are somewhat muted and the base tobacco is average, at best. It's hard to complain too loudly about this blend, but it's equally hard to be a raving fan.

For those who enjoy this type of aromatic American-English blend, I recommend Pipeworks & Wilke No. 5 as the pinnacle of the genre, and I would recommend those who enjoy HGL get ahold of some No.5 to see what an expert blender can do with this style of blend. (edit: reading some of the reviews below, I notice I am not alone in making this suggestion)

While I cannot rate this blend higher than two stars, that should not suggest it is a bad blend. Those interested to see what Latakia can add to an aromatic blend should consider this a good starting place.

Note: This blend will ghost a pipe, and I suggest smoking it in a pipe reserved for aromatics rather than English blends.

This is a pretty decent smoke. I see a lot of reviewers stating that the Latakia is too light. I didn't see it that way. In fact it seemed to be a Latakia forward American English to me. Nice tasting one. The casing is vanilla-like, but not really vanilla. More like sweet cream or even whipped cream to me. It's an enjoyable smoke, but not something I would want to smoke on a regular basis. More of a change of pace blend. Mild in body and mild to medium in flavor.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Burn = 7;

After Taste = 7;

Raw Score = 42;

Rated Percentage = 70%;

Comment = This has Latakia in it, so I didn't like it very much, a bit of a Bite and a slight After Taste

AleWatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AleWatcher (5)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

This is an economics textbook in tobacco form. Birds flying by and smelling the cloud of smoke fell from the air, dead from boredom.

Call it "mellow" or "nuanced" or "well-balanced." I call it boring, flavorless, and a waste of my time.

There was nothing genuinely unpleasant about it, but there was certainly nothing to write home about.

graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

OK having been a Aro smoker for about 20 years, I was recently bitten by the "Latakia Bug", so just starting my journey into English Blends, and tobacco containing Latakia, and Orientals. I LIKE IT. I ordered a small amount of this with my last order just the about 2 months ago from my on line shop. I really liked it, so now have just received my order for this month, and I had ordered a pound. This is a nice place to start the journey. Not overwehelming, but just enough Latakia to keep me interested. It's rally addicting. This is now going to become my standard everyday smoke, at least for a while. It packs well, lights well with just 2 lights, and smokes all the way to the bottom of the bowl. And the flavor is consistent all through the pipe. Smokes down completely to a light gray ash, and no goop in the bottom like when smoking ARO. This is a good one for those just starting the adventure into "English Blends".

I received a sample baggy of this with a recent order placed with smokingpipes.com and a big thank you goes out to them for it!

A mixture of black and tan leaf with a nice, low-key Latakia aroma with some background sweetness. As I'm not a huge fan of Latakia, I found the amount added to HGL was just right for me. It loaded and lit very readily and did not smoke hot or bite. It burned slowly to the bowl's end and did not leave any goop behind, nor did it gurgle. Picked up the Captain Black influence that many have commented on; not too much, but present.

A pleasant set-it-and-forget-it type of smoke and a good crossover blend for those wanting to venture into Latakia territory; but not too deeply. Not my type of tobacco to place in weekly rotation, but certainly good for what it intends to be. A nice smoke for a cool fall day, sitting on the porch, watching the leaves fall. Nothing spectacular, but dependable. Reminds me of those old codger burleys with Latakia mixed in. Happy I tried it. A solid recommended for those who want a smidgen of Latakia in their smoke.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I've never had the chance to try this blend, from years past when it was readily available. Now the online company I buy my pipe tobacco from, has started carrying this one time popular blend. It packs well, and lights easily enough. Sniffing the contents of the bag, I could definitely smell the Latakia. As an avid aromatic smoker, I would've liked just a tad more sweetness to the mix. Someone else said this was RLP-6 based, but I smoke that blend all day and this ain't it, trust me. I'll update this in a few days, but for now to me this is OK, but not something I'd order again anytime soon...

Peppino, no worries. I'm no tobacconist expert, but maybe the mix so changes the flavor, at least for me, that I didn't detect the RLP-6 taste. I've smoked pounds of the stuff, and couldn't taste it in the HGL blend...

7/26/13 I had ordered several ounces of this stuff and on a whim I thought it might be better if it had a little more sweetness to it. I added some black cavendish to it, and what a difference it's made. It's actually pretty good. Ya got the latakia thing going on with some nice sweetness and smokey-ness. Sort of a yin-yang thing. Is smokey-ness a word?

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked this blend at first, I tried this when I was just starting to stock up on tobaccos that I liked and so I bought a whole bunch of it and put it in a jar. As a year or two rolled by, the jar eventually collected dust, so I pulled it out and gave it a go again. I found that my tastes had changed quite a bit and this one really didn't interest me any longer, so I passed it on to a fellow smoker who had not tried it. With that background out of the way, this is an okay blend, nothing super special about it, it was mild and very smooth, just didn't have anything that grabbed my attention, if you are an all day smoker I might say give this one a shot, for me the appeal wore off as I like variety and unique character and I did not feel that this blend delivered well enough to stay in the rotation.

bobpatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobpatt (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this tobacco based on reviews at this site. Luckily, my local tobacco shop had some available. I am in the process of switching over from aromatics with rich toppings to tobacco that will give me a fuller tobacco experience. I enjoyed HGL immensly but alas, it won't be for long. I have found out that Lane is going to discontinue this blend. One of the pipe web sites (sorry, can't remember which one) that the another company will make a match and call it TGL.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I call HGL my friendly baccy. It is one of my greatest mainstays for times that I have nothing in particular in mind but would like just a nice friendly smoke. It never disappoints or lets me down.

IMHO, HGL has everything in the friendly category locked down. It keeps a nice moisture level without having to fuss over it, no sticks, packs easily and evenly, lights and stays lit well, has a pleasant slipstream, the flavor, while being rich, stays pleasant from start to finish, never a trace of a bite, smokes cool, never gurgles, and goes all the way to the bottom leaving a nice dark ash. Never leaves my pipe with a bad leftover odor. The flavor is what I would call a nice crossover; slightly sweet with traces of Latakia sneaking in occasionally but gives a constant presence of good rich Virginia.

Maybe if I had to take a choice of one blend for the rest of my life, HGL would be it. Can't find fault anywhere, in any way.

Would be a good intro for a newby.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)

Characterized as a 'cross-over' blend by fellow pipesters, HGL is probably one of the best in its (cross-over) class. This stuff smells delicious out of the bag, yet the casing is only faintly present/noticable during a smoke. Unlike many of its brethern in the Lane stable, this blend has little (if any) bite, and does indeed smoke cool and possess a pleasant sweetness. The Latakia is in there, but it does not predominate. This was the blend that introduced my taste buds to Latakia and piqued my curiosity about English/Balkan blends. Plus, it's a fine all-day smoke.

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)

As a discount brand, I give this 3 stars. Among all tobaccos, I would give it 2 stars. Lane does a decent job of making this medium-strength baccy with noticeable but not overpowering Latakia flavor, and it has little bite. This tobacco is very different than most Lane brands, in that it is not a heavily-cased aromatic, and is not terribly sweet. It smokes to a rough powder with some larger grains that have turned to coal, but unless you smoke it very, very quickly it does not leave a wet mess at the bottom of your pipe.

As with all Lane blends, it is necessary to air this out prior to smoking for the best effect (at least half an hour), but unlike many of their lines you can smoke this to the bottom of the bowl right out of the bag without drying it as long as you smoke slowly. Smokes best in a smaller bowl.

4/23/08 Update - The last few bowls of the 4 oz I had purchased has been much, much more enjoyable than the rest. It would seem that 'letting it air out' for a while has greatly improved both flavor and moisture. What I'm smoking now is a solid 3-star blend, whereas before I was tempted to rate it 2 stars overall. This is the only Lane blend I've smoked that I really enjoy enough to want to buy more.

1968Billy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1968Billy (13)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Found this brand out of town, while searching new stuff to try. Loved the aroma, and when I read the lable I knew it's what I'd like to smoke. Latakia and Cavendish, with extras thrown in. It's easy enough to work with, burns well, and doesn't dry completely out once it's left the jar. Taste is superior. So far it seems to be what I've been looking for in pipe tobacco for a long time. 4.5 stars. Should have bought more.

tim_up_north Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tim_up_north (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I tried hard to come up with some passion for this blend, either positively or negatively. Yet I am firmly in the blase zone.

Others have noted the smokey-sweet identity of this blend which may be its singular destinction. If that quality is somethiing you favour, or if you prefer very mild english blends, this may be your cup of tea.

I'm stumped by the cross-over concept. HGL sits in my mind as an english, albeit a very very mild one.

Price point is a plus for those, like myself, who like to try new things. On that count you cannot go wrong.

It is not unpleasant, but invokes no superlative's. I'll happily finish my 2 ounces, and move on with no hard feelings.

UPDATE I'll be the first to admit when I'm off base. I've been giving this one more time and I think I'm coming around to it. It's the tobacco version of olives for me: an aquired taste; not in a bad way, it's just a bit different than my usual fair.

I am also coming to see the light on these so called cross-over blends. To myself I have begun to think: 'Hmmm, the best of both worlds?'.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I remember this as Cricklewood. The Smoke & Snuff stores are gone now, as is HGL...I believe there is a Build a Bear where the shop once was. Oh well.

I never smoked too much HGL. It isn't too bad at first, but over time, it can build up a to be cloying in flavor. It reminded me of RLP-6 with Latakia.

HGL was a decent intoduction to Cavendish blends with Latakia.

However, if you like this style, I would point you to Wilke's No. 5, and Peretti's 102 blend. I think they will be around for a good while...

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, So I really liked it......Lane seems to be a love it or hate it company, But this stuff was like no other lane.... This is not Cap Black.... Sweet and smokey....Its a pleasure to smoke. I can't take the latakia drip anymore, but I do appreciate its presence as a condoment....and thats what it is here. I highly recomend this as a pleasurable smoke. the only thing I noticed is its better inside or in cooler weather..? Its flavor seems to thin out in the heat......(85-90 in my car in the afternoon vs sitting on my sofa with the air at 72)....Maybe its just me... Love it!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

The best Lane Limited blend I've ever tried. Reminds me a bit of the sweet old Tinder Box blends I first tried 30 years ago when I began smoking pipes. A nice, sweet blend for all day, but definitely not sticky, goopy or heavily cased like most Lanes. If you must try one Lane, it's this; likewise, Pipes and Tobaccos' 'Count Pulaski' is Altadis' best blend. It might come under different names depending upon what store you by it from. Many tobaccos are the same and packaged under different pseudonyms. In whatever manifestation you may find this, you're sure to enjoy it.

Three and half of five stars

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

When I first got this blend, I thought the first several bowls were pleasant. Then suddenly, without warning, the highly artificial taste of the black cavendish disgusted me. The first half of the bowl is very smooth, but soon after that all of the burnt chemicals cause it to taste like charcoal brickets with lots of lighter fluid. It gurgles a fair bit and gets very gooey. There is very little tobacco flavor here, least of all that of latakia. I love quality aromatics; unfortunately this does not fall into that category. There are just too many additives covering up the tobacco.

This comes with the highest possible recommendation! This relly is Lane LTD's answer to the wonderful Count Pulaski by Altadis. It is sweet, nutty, and very rich with Latakia. The burley lends another dimension to an American English smoke. This is a wonderful crossover blend. It is as good as "The Count" but has more in common wtih Serad's "Reverie" as far as burning qualities and flavor. I purchased this in Deerfield,Illinois at Churchill and Downs cigar shop under the name of "Masters Blend".4 of 4 stars!!!!!

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

The more I smoke this stuff, the better I like it. I cant seem to get enough, after smoking back to back bowls. I love the sweet smokey flavor. I feel this is the best crossover blend out there. Burns to a fairly clean dry ash, and no tongue bite. I just had to update this review. Give it a try, it is wonderful.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to say I smoke this on occasion because I possess about four ounces of this stuff. I think CaptnDan has this one figured out. My slant would be that RLP-6 is the smoothest smoker in Lanes' stable. Otherwise I am not big on this crossover thing. I don't recall a blend that is an American style aromatic with Latakia other than this one. I have tried this many times with limited enjoyment. Not an offensive blend, just not a bell ringer. (10/02/2004)

Update: O.K. for a stepping-stone tobacco. No longer smoke this blend.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)

HGL has everything I look for in an all day smoke. There is no extreme side of any category, and the taste posseses a complexity that I don't tire of easily - making it a great blend to take alone on vacation or a weekend getaway. The strength is medium, better than a boring mild and tolerable for multiple times a day regularity - unlike a real strong blend. Lane claims there is no flavoring added, the cavendish makes it sweet without added flavoring. Worse case - it has light flavoring. It has a pleasant room note, with a fusion of woodsy, sweetness, nuttiness, and fresh baked bread. This is how I would also describe the taste as well. The taste has a perfect balance that gives me the flavor I like from a variety of tobaccos, all in one. The tobacco still has its own identity in spite of the wide spectrum. I buy this in 8 oz bulk and store in a sealed jar without additional humidification. My only complaint is that it is slightly moist and will leave just a little wet spot at the bottom of the bowl. Not enough for a gurgle, though. I am suprised how well I rank this against comparable C&D, McClelland, G&H blends. After all, it is a readily available Lane blend costing $20 - $25 per pound.

Update: I will have to lower my rating from a 4-star to a 3. I've been smoking this tobacco for a long time, however, I have to deduct points for quality, consistency and long term humidification management. Though this blend highly benefits with aging, the burley & virginias are of a lower to medium grade. There is not enough Latakia, yet it can be tasted more prevalently when kept on the drier side. That is at fault of the high quantity of cavendish. It requires a careful management of moisture, or the taste goes flat. When it's on the money, the latakia compliments the burley & VA so well with the hint of sweetness. When straight from the local tobacconist, the cavendish dominates because of the moisture. It is what it is, a decent crossover that can be smoked all day. There's plenty of better blends of this genre. I no longer dance in the streets over it, but it does bring me great pleasure on half of the bowls I puff on. It's still good enough to warrant a 3-star in my book.

wmjotten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmjotten (12)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

It took a while to uncover the fact that "Cricklewood", sold by Florida Smoke & Snuff was indeed Lane's HGL. After trying this blend, I found that as an aromatic fan, this blend offered a hint at the pleasures of an English blend and the delicious tastes of latakia. It actually encouraged trying even more stalwart latakia blends to the point where I now really enjoy them. So I have a fond spot for this blend. At the match the bowl delivers a nice amount of latakia and along with the other components of toasted cavendish, Virginia, and White Burley, never gets to the mouth drying astringency of the heavier latakia blends. I feel it's a proper amount of that velvety smoky flavor in concert with the other leaf which delivers a cool flavorful smoke for quite awhile. Sometimes at relight (which isn't required often), the burley's nuttiness will predominate, but it isn't long before the balance between latakia and other leaf returns. What surprises me is that the blend is a mouth watering blend, rather than the more common drying. Even my wife has sipped the pipe on this blend without any negatives. I'd characterize this blend as nicely balanced between an aromatic and a latakia based blend, a nice transition between the two as it turned out for me. I still smoke the aromatics, but this is a mild, tasteful latakia blend I enjoy. It also has a pleasant room note. Recommendable.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

HGL is something of a crossover blend. It seems to be mostly Cavendish with a hint of Latakia. And I do mean a hint. In a way, it kind of reminds me of Captain Black Gold with a trace of Latakia. Not a true English blend, but then it doesn?t claim to be.

Enough about what HGL isn?t, on to what it is. This has got to be the coolest smoking, and smoothest thing I have ever found in Lane?s repertoire. I was skeptical when I tried it. It?s a good baby-step away from aromatics, if you are so-inclined.

The regular smoker of English blends will find little to hold his interest, let alone get excited about. For the newcomer to English, or for the person who wants a touch of natural tobacco flavor without getting banished to the porch, this may be just the ticket.

While this is a mild-mannered tobacco, it will bite severely if you go searching for big, bold flavor. It simply isn?t there. Enjoy it for what it is. A mild and pleasant blend that you can smoke all day. Personally, I think it?s a bit weak for my tastes. But I can see where it could be perfect for many others, and I could smoke it without complaint if I had nothing else.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)

At one point in my smoking career, I fell for the latakia/cavendish mixtures. I thought I could get the best of both worlds in one. It was a short phase (maybe 8 months) but this was the best of the ones I tried. Frog was too wet for me and the C&D stuff didn't have enough aromatic agents in them. This was cheap, readily available and of good quality. I never got any complaints on the room aroma and it burned much better than most Lane blends. Every now and then I re-visit this blend and still like it.

Spuds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spuds (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

HGL is a blend I would smoke again in a pinch. I liked it at first, but with the arrival of Frog Morton and McClelland's #2040, I quickly lost interest.

I must add, I rank it above all the other blends I have tried by this maker.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Upon 1st light one detects the Latakia, but it is not strong. It's suttle and smooth. At a 1/3rd bowl and past, the cavendish becomes dominate with the latakia in the near background. One catches a very slight hint of chocolate from time to time. This seems to be from the burley, not a casing. The Latakia, Burley and Cavendish really join one another to produce a very nice smooth smoke with the Virginia giving it's touch of sweetness. It does not smoke wet and there is no gurgle.

This is another blend inwhich my wife likes the aroma of. Pure and clean.

GLC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GLC (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I'll admit up front that I'm a big fan of Lane's blends, and this is one of my favorites. I don't smoke it daily, but it's one I return to regularly as a 'standard'. It is consistently good, whether fresh or aged (some >9 months old). Appearance: Colorful mix ranging from tan thru medium brown to solid black in roughly equal proportions.

Startup: The pouch aroma is mildly sweet, with only a slightly smokey hint of the Latakia present. There isn't much here, and by 'laced', I expect they are being truthful that a dash is all that's needed to contribute the smoothing effect. On lighting, we find that this cruise is Captain Black meets Lieutenant Latakia, with the Captain clearly in charge. The familiar aromatic sweetness of the Lane Cavendish/Burley/VA mix is on top, with just a hint of something else added. The first 1/3 of the bowl is smoother than usual, and the aroma hints that something is a bit different here.

Mid-Bowl: On relight, the stronger, smokey Latakia is first detected, and from there on thru the next 1/3 the flavor is more intense, but still smooth and sweet and burns evenly. The Captain is on a pleasure cruise today, no race to burn the load quickly. At about the 3rd relight, and 30 minutes into the bowl, Lieutenant Latakia takes the wheel, and the steers us into a smokey fog-bank that brings on the smoothness and darker flavor he is known for. Now we're talking flavor! Let's try to keep this heading for a bit and enjoy the ride.

Finish: The sweetness of the cavendish and VAs is still there, mellowed by the burley and Latakia, and together they are holding the flavor and aroma on a good heading. Each relight brings a re-bloom of the smokey Latakia, but never overpowering, and no gurgle, the Lieutenant is keeping the cargo high and dry. (this sample is about 2 months old, kept in a simple zip-lock bag). We're down to the dottle after almost 1 hour of uninterrupted smoking, and still no harshness or bitterness, this crew knows this route well, and has skillfully steered us to our destination, leaving only a bit of white ash in our wake.

Summary: This is a nice bridge (sorry) between the aromatic and the English world. It's clearly not a classic English, but is definitely not the cloying, overly sweetened blends from the drugstore either. There's something here for both camps. Sign on for a trial voyage, and I think you'll book this cruise as a regular. Happy puffing!

Tbombadil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tbombadil (11)

This is one of maybe two Lane blends I'd smoke in a pinch. As a matter of fact it was one of the first blends I tried when I finally moved away from goopy aromatics. Unlike most Lane blends this stuff actually does burn slowly and fairly clean. For those who like latakia I have to say there's only a suggestion of it here no matter what the description says, although that's not a bad thing for first time imbibers of that weed.

All in all I'd have to say that although I don't smoke this one much any more it does make a good crossover smoke for someone who wants to move beyond cherryberrymangovanilla.