Lane Limited HGL

(2.92)
Toasted cavendish is laced with mountain Latakia, then blended with white burley and golden Virginia to produce a sweet, fuller-bodied smoke, yet cool and slow burning. The Lat is used as a condiment, not to build a Lat-bomb.
Notes: This is Lane's RLP-6 with a touch of Latakia added.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.92 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews
Apr 04, 2011 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
A little trivia HGL stands for Herman G Lane the President of Lane LTD at the time! His own personal blend he smoked at Lane Ltd back in the good old days. Where we would sneak it into our Tinder Box back in the 70's (smoking Lane tobacco's was frowned upon except 1Q and RLP-6 aka...Wilshire and Chartwell) which we carried in tubs, it was a great time back then. Maybe because we were breaking the tobacco rules at that time 🙂 HGL was always a favorite of mine as well as RLP-6, I could go on and on with the stories but I won't. This is a light Latakia blend(think Chartwell with Latakia) that I continued smoking for many years and I'm going to miss it. It always had a good flavor and smoked dry leaving a medium gray ash. I hope someone come's up with a good replacement! I find FMOTT seems to come close!

UPDATE:........It's back! Just received my order of tobacco's today and the first one I smoked was HGL! I huffed the bag and it took me back to 70's (see above) I lit it up and and had a bowl in 00 Savinelli Autograph. It was just as I remembered a very nice blend and one of the first mass crossover blends. It smoked dry and to the bottom and left a fine white ash. Are their better blends now? Yep sure are, but there is no price for nostalgia and a great crossover. The quality of the leaf seems to have changed slightly, but that could be my memory as well the taste and aroma were the same. It's a must try and one I will surely have on hand at all times. Also, not trying to upset you WillardFan but RLP-6 is the base for this blend. I know for a fact as I worked very close with the Lane Reps back in the day. At that time they were the suppliers for Charatan, Ben Wade, Parker, Dunhill and Preben Holm pipes as well as the Dunhill tobacco's both bulk and tinned. They also supplied us with Wilshire and Chartwell. The Lane rep was the one who supplied us with our personal stash of HGL which we bought out of the trunk of his car in 5 lb bags and split it with each other. As I said before (miss the good old days) and man I wish I had some rolls of Dunhill's Baby's Bottom now 🙁
Jul 10, 2006 Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant
This tobacco is sold by my local tobacconist as Buckingham and I owe to it my love for latakia. Granted, the latakia is a bit weak in this blend compared to my other favored blends -- Penzance, 965, Nightcap-- but without this one, I would never have thought to move along.

The cavendish in HGL is not cloying and the burley just doesn't seem to be there, but I am not big on burleys to begin with-- it's my take it or leave it tobacco.

This one is as aromatic as I get, but unlike many others, it burns quite cool and leaves a neat little bit of dark grey ash.

The room note seems a bit vanilla-y and hence, my wife loves when i smoke this blend.
Sep 30, 2008 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I call HGL my friendly baccy. It is one of my greatest mainstays for times that I have nothing in particular in mind but would like just a nice friendly smoke. It never disappoints or lets me down.

IMHO, HGL has everything in the friendly category locked down. It keeps a nice moisture level without having to fuss over it, no sticks, packs easily and evenly, lights and stays lit well, has a pleasant slipstream, the flavor, while being rich, stays pleasant from start to finish, never a trace of a bite, smokes cool, never gurgles, and goes all the way to the bottom leaving a nice dark ash. Never leaves my pipe with a bad leftover odor. The flavor is what I would call a nice crossover; slightly sweet with traces of Latakia sneaking in occasionally but gives a constant presence of good rich Virginia.

Maybe if I had to take a choice of one blend for the rest of my life, HGL would be it. Can't find fault anywhere, in any way.

Would be a good intro for a newby.
Nov 08, 2016 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Lane Limited - HGL.

I'm not sure as to why there's no added flavourings listed, just the nose from the pouch confirms a vanilla one.

On the negative side, even though it's supplied in loose form it's still too wet. The length of drying time's obviously dependant on how dry/moist you like your blend but I can't see many folks being happy to smoke it fresh. The blend's medium in build and a 50/50 split between black and brown, with no twigs or chunks.

The smoke, like the pouch note, has definitely been enhanced with vanilla. It works well as it's about the same weight as the Latakia's smokiness so it's not an acerbic, or harsh smoke. I find, after about a third, the vanilla becomes more of a creamy taste instead of an emphatic vanilla one; it's not so clear-cut but it's still there. The Virginia forms most of the smokes body, and the Burley gives just a 'touch' of flavour to the smoke. The actual texture of the smoke's a high point for me: it's very thick and silky.

This will make a nice afternoon smoke instead of my usual straight aromatic.

Four stars.
Pipe Used: Somali Lee Van Cleef Meer'
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins.com
Age When Smoked: Two weeks
Dec 01, 2019 Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant
This a very nice middle of the road English blend that isn’t going to overwhelm you with Latakia. This blend has a harmonious balance between English and a aromatic. The Latakia does come through nicely but is balanced along side the sweetened cavendish. You’ll even get compliments from those around, but only you will know you’re smoking an English blend. This blend was made for Mr. Lane, the founder of the company many, many years ago, and was his favorite of all the Lane blends. The mountain Latakia is mellow and smoky but not overbearing. The cavendish is sweetened just a little. Sit back and think of the years long ago when this blend was made and men wore fedoras. A genuine good blend that I know you’ll enjoy.
Pipe Used: Dunhill Liverpool
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and cigars
Age When Smoked: 2 years old.
Sep 09, 2017 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
So we all have guilty pleasures. Gourmet chefs that sneak a fast food cheeseburger, audiophiles that sing Barry Manilow in the car at the top of their lungs, tobacco snobs that love a good aromatic.

I smoke English, primarily Dunhill, I like a Pease blend, McCelleland and Rattrays can do a Va like nobody's business. C&D can twist the same theme to make you think they reinvented it. I've got so many Mason jars of boutique blends Martha Stewart is going to call me for jelly jars.

Lane knows aromatics, they pretty much invented the modern genre and took us out of the licorice based Stone Age of flavored tobaccos and brought bulk gourmet blends into the high end shops 50 years ago. 1Q, weather you like it or not is a masterpiece, the ultimate gateway drug. HGL is the connoisseur's crack. It is the bridge from aromatic to true English. It's the balance of appealing to the snobs and appeasing the masses. It's just delicious. Go ahead and attend you local pipe club with your Poul Winslow and load up some Blackpoint while drinking Balvernie- but on your way home, stop at In & Out, grab a Double-double, wolf it down while singing Mandy at the top of your lungs and load a bowl of HGL in you Kaywoodie and huff away....yum.

Pipe Used: Peterson Baker Street, Charatan Executive pot
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars
Age When Smoked: 2 weeks old
Sep 20, 2021 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This has become my daily smoke. Not too sweet, not too strong and enough flavor to keep it from being boring. It replaced Middleton's Walnut for me when they stopped production. Though sweeter than Walnut, It had the same satisfaction I enjoyed of just sitting back and relaxing to a mild, slow smoke.
Pipe Used: Cobs, Hardwoods and Briars
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes
Aug 30, 2019 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
This is my first bowl of HGL. I find the room note pleasant and somewhat mellow, not an offensive note at all. There's a faint hint of topping flavor, but I can't pinpoint it. It's a very slight sweetness on the backend. It's not the star role whatsoever. The Latakia is much more present, but not overwhelming at all. There's a very mild earthy flavor from the Virginia. All in all this is a very smooth blend, definitely agreeable for an all day smoke. I find no harshness at all and I tend to be a hotter smoker, yet there's no indication of bite. Burns cool and even to a fine ash. Definitely recommend for new smokers and experienced smokers alike.
Pipe Used: Rossi Rubino Rhodesian
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: Fresh from package
Oct 26, 2007 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Found this brand out of town, while searching new stuff to try. Loved the aroma, and when I read the lable I knew it's what I'd like to smoke. Latakia and Cavendish, with extras thrown in. It's easy enough to work with, burns well, and doesn't dry completely out once it's left the jar. Taste is superior. So far it seems to be what I've been looking for in pipe tobacco for a long time. 4.5 stars. Should have bought more.
May 29, 2006 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
This comes with the highest possible recommendation! This relly is Lane LTD's answer to the wonderful Count Pulaski by Altadis. It is sweet, nutty, and very rich with Latakia. The burley lends another dimension to an American English smoke. This is a wonderful crossover blend. It is as good as "The Count" but has more in common wtih Serad's "Reverie" as far as burning qualities and flavor. I purchased this in Deerfield,Illinois at Churchill and Downs cigar shop under the name of "Masters Blend".4 of 4 stars!!!!!

target="_blank"