This is the most popular aromatic version of Amphora. It's a subtle mixture of the fragrances of oranges, raspberries and flowers.

BrandImperial Tobacco Group, PLC

2.9
Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

The fellow at The Tobacco Store in University Pl. said that this is apparently being re-introduced into the American market. I hope this means that all Imperial's offerings will be; I'd love to be able to smoke Amphora, Gold Block and CAPSTAN on a regular basis.

A "drugstore" blend is a burley-based concoction, savagely cased with inexpensive chemical agents, sold in the provinces of the US at "dime" stores and "convenience" retail-chains (called, in an all-purpose kind of way, "drugstores",) usually in bulk.

This is not a 'drugstore' blend. The fact that it was once very widely distributed and thus easily available does not make it a drugstore blend. Anyone who can't tell the difference between this and a drugstore blend, probably can't tell the difference between Balkan Sobranie and "Oriental No 12", either.

AMPHORA, like SAIL, is an older, Dutch Aromatic Cavendish-processed blend. Virginia, Burley, and several condimental tobaccos are blended, pressed together, and steamed. These "married" tastes are then given a natural flavouring, in the same way that tea might be flavoured with oil of bergamot or mint, or coffee with hickory. Or Latakia is flavoured by fumigation, or burley by flue-curing, or Virginia by stoving. These are classic processes that, since the Golden Age of perfumed snuff in XVIII century France, have been carefully followed by age-old practitioners.

The Dutch have traditionally been masters of the subtle flavouring of tobacco. They do not assume that Cavendish leaf is merely a pretext for holding an added flavour. The basic blend is all-important. It is often suprisingly intense, too, defying the chiché that all aromatic blending is lightweight frou-frou. In the best Dutch aromatic blends, too, the flavouring is undefinable, chimerical. If you can tell, "this is cherry", then it is not a good aromatic. Good aromatics are few and far between.

AMPHORA Red is delicious. Virginia, Burley, orientals, and an indescribable floral soupçon build to a full flavour that is tobacco plus. Nothing is in any way overpowering; it has a beautiful balance and finish; the arôme adds the je-ne-sais-quoi.

Burley is burley is burley. Latakia is Latakia is Latakia. They are a positive category, like roast beef. Oriental tobaccoes, fiddled-with Virginia, fermeted Périque: these enter a more religious realm of mystery and surprise: little Merrie England has met New Worlds. Finally the Dutch bring magic and necromancy to the game with their sleight-of-hand parfumerie. I enjoy it all, and would find all-roast-beef-all-the-time BORING.

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Bright golden Virginia ready rubbed, this the best medium aromatic drugstore tobacco out there, with an excellent tobacco quality, lovely fruity aroma, not excessively cased or top flavored, the cherry/chocolate flavor is truly wonderful, the room note is top class!, Actually I am smoking this fine tobacco on daily basis and I am enjoying it bowl after bowl, it is ridiculously good and ridiculously inexpensive, widely available. Outstanding quality!!

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is basically the same review as the one I posted on the other Amphora full aroma entry. I don't know why it's listed twice here because they are the same blend. I used to smoke it in the 1970s and in the past couple of years, I managed to get quite a bit of it to smoke again. I still like it and here's my repost.

An even burning, sweet and fruity mixture. Unlike some sweet tobaccos, this one is not sickeningly so. Incredibly enjoyable! A nice change from VaPers. The room note is just as pleasant as the taste. They call it "full aroma" and indeed it is. Some mistake "full" for being strong. It isn't. It's full of flavor, but not strong in the sense that experienced pipe smokers would classify it as a "strong" smoke. Goes well with anything you drink and anything you do. If you like tobacco in this genre, you should like this.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is another of those really good aromatics. It comes in a gold foily packet, and looks like a ready rubbed blend, with a few longer strands of ribbon in there. It packs and lights just fine straight from the pouch, despite containing some quite large chunks of flake. Do not be tempted to rub it out any more or it will get hot and bite. This can be a problem with the last couple of fills from the pouch too.

The smoking qualities of this tobacco are really good. It burns cool and slow, and the flavour is surprisingly complex, although very mild at first. The beginning of the bowl tastes light, sweetish and flowery, with fruity, vanilla tastes building as the smoke progresses. The vanilla taste is only ever a hint, and the bowl finishes with a rich chocolatey aftertaste from the burley tobaccos. The room aroma is as varied as the taste, a friend once commented that it smelt of chocolate, while at the beginning of the smoke it smells more floral.

This is definitely a very high quality aromatic, of a very different flavour from most, the casings must be very different to what is used in a lot of aromatics. A really interesting smoke, but not very heavy.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (32)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Sometimes you gamble on a blend and you're pleasantly surprised.

I had seen this pouch at the local tobacconist every trip I made. It was one of the cheaper ones (In Japan all tobaccos are much more expensive than usual).

Opening the pouch I was surprised to see a nicely fine cut ribbon but also with some specks of broken flake. I am a flake fan and anything that was once in flake form is a fan of mine.

Moisture was a teeny bit higher than I prefer but not sopping we by any measure. Packing this tobacco is a breeze as I usually take the aforementioned broken flakes and put them in the bottom to act as a "filter" or barrier over the draft hole. After that, a typical 3 part bowl filling.

Lighting this tobacco is a cinch, I can usually make it down to the bottom with one match. It burns very evenly and leaves very little dottle.

The flavoring compliments the Va very well IMO. There is a subtle hint of zesty orange and some cloves. The room note always has fans and I can smoke this anywhere and ne'er does anyone complain.

My best smokes with this tobacco came from a Peterson Irish Second Bulldog. I don't think a Pot shape would be a good idea but a 3/4 inch tobacco chamber seemed to bring out the most in this blend.

I would highly recommend this tobacco for a beginner as there is very little tongue bite, it is a high quality leaf and can even be enjoyed by a "veteran"

Pipe Used: Irish Second Bulldog

FinSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FinSmoker (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Easy to pack and light. Nice taste and aroma and doesent smoke to much, the smell of the smoke is nice though. Pleasant flavouring that does indeed give alot of pleasure. A nice tobacco that should be smoked after lunch with a cup of coffee.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)

Must be because I'm a novice (relative to the other reviews hereunder). Only marginally better than Captain Black's White. I know; apples and oranges.

It does pack well and it does have a nice burn but I found the flavour to be unremarkable. The War Department says she doesn't mind the aroma and the neighbours say that I've smoked some nicer tobaccos.

I do find it to burn cooler than I thought it would so that's positive. I purchased it because I was certain that my grandfather smoked Amphora and we all loved the room note. But this isn't it. Gonna give the original blend a go.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (172)

This is a Good Amphora... Slow Burning, easy to pack and light. Good grade tobacco, sweat, not so strong in Nicotine. It was very common found in Brazil, but now, is quite rare. recommended.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

This was one of the first tobaccos I smoked, when I was a teenager back inthe 1960s. It was, and remains a pleasant and not overwhelming smoke. I'd rate it as the best of the OTC (drug store) blends.

It's one of those I'd recommend to a beginner pipe smoker, if you can find it. That recommendation comes not because it is of any ifnerior quality. It's not. But it is very forgiving. It's easy to keep lit. It doesn't bite if smoked too vigorously. It yields a very pleasant taste without having to coax it and will keep delivering that pleasant taste even if puffed hard.

Nowadays I can't find it in its original form bu have to get a few ounces in bulk in a 'match' blend.

Tobacco leaf quality very average light aromatic and spicy at the same time ,fine cut that burns easily and grows well in nicotine its easy and rich at the same time a Virginia burley tobacco flavor that predominates is a great success this classic licorice aroma subtle fruity light very old is well reproduced by a imperial tobacco worthy of past and présent. Recommended for smoked daily.

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)

way back when i first started pipesmoking this was my go to baccy, now after starting back the pipesmoking hobby for about a year i can say to my tastebuds the taste didnt change of that 15 years back, something orange-ie sweetness and something creamy i like it ! that said, i think you have to learn to smoke this tobacco otherwise it smokes hot and gurgles your pipe, smoke it slooowww i mean almost to the point youd think the pipe has gone out slow. if you master that this bacccy is your friend then it delivers good taste and no tonguebite. its a OTC blend in holland and in almost every socalled tobacco store/ kiosk you can buy it EDIT it is back to my daily smoke once more, its a charming classy always delivering good nicoteen and taste baccy

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

The best drug store blend by far! In fact, far better than most so-called premium tobaccos too! I have more than 100 different tobaccos in my cellar and Amphora Full Aroma definitely falls in my 10.

The pouch aroma is of leather, herbs and tobacco. The leather note comes through in the taste too. I also pick up strong black tea and hints of oranges. The combination of notes may sound strange on paper, but they form a great taste experience. Unlike a great number of aromatics, the taste of tobacco is ever present: burley, kentucky, oriental and I definitely also pick up some tasty virginia. This is not a sweet aromatic like a vanilla or fruit aromatic. It's drier and manlier. You can even smell a bit of sweat in the room note if you search for it. The room note is pleasant but, for non-smokers, more of an acquired taste than the typical sweet aromatic.

The pieces of broken flake ensure a slow, cool smoke. This is a unique tobacco and highly recommended. Still available in some countries, I'll be stocking up just in case this treasure disappears completely one day.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I started smoking pipes years ago and predominantly I stuck to Amphora Original Blend and Captain Black White back then.

Blended under license for Van Nelle of Holland, this blend is just the right moisture in the pouch. In the pouch I pick up subtle hints of black licorice and perhaps chocolate.

Carefully packed, it lights easily and stays lit. I tried this in my meer-lined Butz Choquin. The smoke is dry and cool and mild with no tongue bite and stays that way until almost the end.

There was only slight gurgle but my moisture trap did collect some fluid which ended back in the bottom of the bowl making things bitter. I had to dump my bowl at that end point where the taste was bitter. The remnant was a fairly large dottle which burned to ashes in seconds in the ashtray. The aroma is just slightly sweet and floral but predominantly natural tobacco....no licorice aroma noticed in the room note at all.

The burley adds a nice body to the Virginias and rounds out the flavor just right and the Virginias offer that natural sweetness.

Left absolutely no aftertaste. This is a nice, mild all day smoke suitable for beginners and seasoned European-aromatic pipers.

Between All the Amphora offerings available today, this is hands-down my favorite which I will add to my rotation.

Too bad I cannot get this in the 200 gram can, like the Original Blend.

If you can get this, you should give it a try for sure.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

it's mentioned several times but I'd like to repeat anyway, this blend consists of burley, virginia, oriental and kentucky (burley and kentucky being dominant) so you get almost cigarette-like flavor from this blend. no surprise there since it's produced by imperial tobacco. it's definetely not an A class blend for the experienced smoker but it's not as bad as other drugstore offerings, infact it's quite above drugstore line (or "lane" I should say?) it's absolutely an "in between" blend. I used to smoke this a lot and still keeping a pouch or two for emergency (though turkiye is one of the biggest tobacco producers --ranking number two-- we don't have as many alternatives as one would imagine) Less than half the price of superior blends but much better in quality and taste compared to those drugstore blends.

Being ultra sensitive with my gums/tongue never got tongue bite (you should -literally- be smoking like a chimney to get one) easy to keep lit and tastes best smoked with a meerschaum pipe. Probably you won't get those oranges, raspberries or floral notes the pouch promises at first or second smoke but through the end of your first pouch you'll decide not to buy any other drugstore blend ever again.

If there was a pipe smoking course A to Z, then amphora full aroma would be my choice to start with. I was lucky to start with this.

PS. compared to superior blends it deserves 2 out of 4 but as I said I see it somewhere in between and price/performance ratio led me towards 3 out of 4. Simply; recommended to beginners.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)

When I ran out of Captain Black Royal - which I think is mediocre at best - I saw a pouch of this and decided to give it a try. It was either this or Captain Black again, so I went for this.

The smell right out of the pouch seemed to be pretty good, and I got a strong scent of Virginia tobacco, like with Drum rolling tobaccos. Like other reviewers, I didn't get much fruity notes upon smelling it. Smoking it, I got no fruitiness whatsoever.

What I like a lot about this tobacco is that it's extremely easy to pack and light, and keep lit. Another thing I absolutely love about it is that it requires absolutely no effort to keep smoking it. I found it great in my church warden while reading a book. Slow, small puffs and just forget about tampering etc, and just read. A really good experience.

I was expecting an aromatic, but quite frankly I got none, and I like aromatics. Captain Black Royal seems to be more aromatic than this. The taste is good, you can taste the tobacco, but it's just a bit on the dull side. Not very exciting, but that doesn't mean bad. It's basically just Virginia tobacco, slow burning, no tongue bite (another thing I appreciate it for) and decent flavor. After taste is kind of, well, dull, but all in all, for the price it's a good smoke.

Update : I had 3 bowls before writing this review. A few more now and I can't feel my tongue.. not exactly the best feeling in the world.

takisg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
takisg (2)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

A very good Cavendish tobacco if you take in consideration that it costs 6.90 euro per 50 gms pouch. Not a full aromatic. Cut in medium to fine width, not 100% rubbed out. The color is medium to light red-brown. When you open the pouch the aroma is a sort of cherry-chocolate,with a light natural tobacco sent.The body of this smoke its surprising for an aromatic.It is very smooth and cool-smoking,without a bite,no matter how hard you puff.It burns very well,dry and clean to a fine light gray ash. An excellent all day smoke.The room aroma while smoking is pleasant with mild notes of fruits and natural tobacco essences. Recommended for beginners and experienced smokers.

Back when Amphora could be bought in the US, I smoked Amphora Brown for many years. I was sent this pack of red by a buddy in Abu Dhabi to try and I am quite surprised at how good it still is. I expected a gooey, sticky, and cloying aromatic since it's labeled Full Aromatic. But it's not. It is actually fairly dry smoking, a great cavendish cut and rubbed from obviously pressed tobaccos, and it is mild and flavorful. It is dark brown in the pouch and just looks quality, having a soft berry like fragrance in th pouch, kinda reminding of Stonehaven. It has to be loaded a little carefully into the pipe as the tobacco is very large and thick and could be packed too tightly if not careful. It lights very easily and stays lit well. The taste on the tongue is very VA like which is it's base but the burley gives it fullness. It has a somwhat berry backdrop, again like Stonehaven. It smokes nice and slow and is very mild and no tongue bite at all. It reatains it's flavor all the way doen and leaves a dark grey ash and just a little dottle but no moisture in the bottom of the pipe. It's really a shame that we can't get it in the US as it's a very nice blend and I would keep it in my rotation. So I do recommend it very much. Not quite four star as it did not floor me, but for sure a 31/2.

stoked Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoked (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I tried this tobacco not expecting much. I had tried Amphora Brown years ago and didn't look back. Sitting beside Captain Black ( I can't stand) on the shelf I didn't have much hope for this one.

I opened the pouch and smelled - tobacco (esp virginia). The cut and texture is that of a quality tobacco. So far so good - no baking extracts.

This tobacco packs nicely since it is not overly moist in the pouch. It had just the right amount of moisture (no old stock around here - we have lots of Amphora in Canada).

I lit the bowl, tamped and lit again. A little burley nose burn and bright virginias - verly little casing. In the first third of the bowl you taste a little citrus and a little fruity but mostly just from the quality virginias. The pouch says it is flavoured to compliment the tobacco - just so. By mid bowl, sipping the smoke you taste chocolate. Gently cycled through the nose you get chocolate, berry and citrus - tastey and refreshing. By the end of the bowl you get more chocolate but the other flavours are still there. I was left with a little dottle - not too wet, and a nice ash. This is a full bodied smoke. If you smoke fast you get a nice virginia taste all the way through the bowl. Smoked slow it has as many subtleties as higher end tobaccos. I do not consider this tobacco to be in the same class with other drugstore tobaccos. I have a drawer full of high end brands that I enjoy but none has given me as much satisfaction for the money as this unique and expertly blended tobacco. It is just slightly aromatic in that the casings don't overpower the excellent quality virginias. As an OTC class I give it 4 stars. If you haven't tried it go and buy some.

Amphora Full Aroma was quite a surprise for me. I'm not fond of aromatics, and after reading the pouch description I thought I was gonna hate this one (I don't like raspeberries at all). Good thing I read it after I had bought the pouch, or I'd never have tried this fine tobacco.

This is a great quality cavendish that burns easily and doesn't bite at all. The tobacco taste is the main feature throughout the bowl, spiced by a subtle almond taste and hints of cocoa and orange. Lukily, I never tasted anything similar to raspberries or flowers.

Despite the name, this is a mild aromatic, almost borderline to natural tobacco.

ACS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ACS (6)

I'll echo the comment about low nicotine content. I tend to smoke high-nicotine pipe tobacco (I actually self-medicate for migraines...tobacco is a cheaper and safer vasoconstrictor than tryptans!), but this is a readilly available product I'd recommend. The pouch aroma is extremely nice. I suspect it's largely golden virginia, or something and white burley. Fairly cool-burning.

Gig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gig (10)

I am very fortunate to be able to buy this blend from almost any corner store instead of having to buy from overseas.

When I smoke this tobacco I get dark chocolate, coco and raspberry flavour notes throughout the bowl. It is never over the top or sickly sweet as some other aromatics become and are. It's also not cloying to the palate and it does not bite at all. It smokes cool to the bottom of the bowl to a fine grey ash, tipping the ash half way through the smoke is recommended. I seem to be reaching for this tobacco all the time now bypassing others and I highly recommend it to all.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)

Not a full aromatic, by all means... Just a nice, clean, easy smoke. Elegant taste, but way too low on the nicotine level to satisfy me. Lights well, and smokes to the bottom with no maintenance needed. Burns very cool, even if puffed hard and smoked outdoors.

Perfect for a beginner smoker and for public crowded places, like sports events or similar, as it is very respectfull towards others.

Good quality, but only 2 stars strictly because its lack of strenght.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very good tobacco to begin your pipe smoking adventure. From the moment you open the pouch and smell its flowery aroma, you will think that it is a very pleasant tobacco. And it is. Once you light it up, you will love its tasty flavor. The other thing that makes this tobacco nice is that, due to its cut, the burning time is considerably long, so you will enjoy this even longer. It has a fruity/flowery aroma but it also has some tobacco taste. Buy this one and you won't be disappointed. I am looking forward to buy a new pouch.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I tried it because it was offered to me as a gift from Germany. It reminded me of my first days of smoking a pipe. Back then I had of course rejected it completely because I was stuck to Captain Black. It brings nostalgia back! I could not spend a whole day smoking only that (we have become demanding smokers), but it is a good -not quality- solid tobacco with decent flavor, it does not burn the tongue, it is dry and in the end you can smoke it quite pleasantly if do not have any other tobacco. It is a mixture of oranges, raspberries, chocolate and flowers.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

This would be my favorite among Amphora, after the Special reserve Black Cavendish. But its quality over the later is that it is more consistent in the leaf size. Apparently, the pouch description says it contains oriental, but it must be in small quantity...

This is also a large cut broken flake, the pouch aroma is very pleasant - dried fruits and vanilla, and the bakkie is very nice, golden , light brown and medium brown leaves.

This is most probably the only Amphora that I still buy every once in a while - it's more available than the Black cavendish-, maybe once a year or so.

It tastes nice, it smokes nice and dry, and has a bit more taste than the regular Amphora. The room amora is appreciated by mostly everyone without any problem.

Not a tobacco for the beginner; you need a couple years of experience before switching to this one.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)

First pipe tobacco I ever tried! Didn?t make me to go mad but it gave some promises for the future to come [ concerning the sport ;-) ]. Worth having a pouch as a reference to the old good days.. It smells great, it tastes well and it packs / burns ok.. Nice hints of oriental, virginia, burley and kentucky! A decent aromatic and a good value for money too..

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

Got this from a Friend, and boy am I in trouble....Cause I like it. I like it alot. A good flavorful blend- boasts virginias, orientals and burlies on the package. I can see that. Open the pouch and you get a great sent of Chocolate (Mark this, I don't normally like sweet aromatics) and what may be fruit- But more like a Chianti than fruity tooty if you know what I mean. Burn is clean- so far smoked in a cob and a falcon- slight nip in the begining, but that stopped. Settled into a nice Chianti tobacco flavor. I can see why this was so popular, but not why they stopped shipping to the US. Lucky I have friends over in the EU. For your pouch blends this is first rate, and I'll always try and have some around....

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Amphora Full Aroma is a tobacco that has pervaded my memories since I was very young. My dad, as a pipe smoker, would purchase this variety by the giant tin, and he'd take those empty tins and fill them with nuts, bolts, screws, nails, and anything else that he just couldn't find a place for. We still have those tins sitting in the garage, and I remember when taking up the pipe how I wished I could find a sample of this very tobacco.

Well, a couple years later, I finally managed to pick up a pouch, and I'm not displeased. In truth, I'm actually very surprised, for this seems to be an ideal drug store blend, in my opinion. Just a few dollars for a fifty gram pouch, though in short supply where I reside. There is enough here to quell my taste for more expensive alternatives.

Imperial Tobacco claims that this offering espouses a touch of "pure fruit blossom". Searching for proof, I opened the pouch to find a wonderful aroma, not of fruits or other such casings, but a traditional strong scent of unmistakeable tabacco, with a broken flake constitution and a smattering of color darker than I would have imagined.

Apart from these observations, I found the taste to be rather full, far stronger than something resembling Captain Black, soaking in additives. Judged against the myriad of other proclaimed Cavendish tobaccos, this one stands in its own class. There is little here to remind me of the accepted Cavendish designation, other than a guess on my part that this must be steamed. But, I don't know. I'm not one for rigorous categorization.

I tend to downgrade my reviews of aromatics heavily after greater sampling, so I may have to back off these claims.

English Bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
English Bulldog (10)

I got given a pouch of this for my birthday (phew) and it is a nice smoke. While not something I would class as a contemplative smoke after a hard day's work/study, it would make a good 'all-day' mid-afternoon-tea smoke which will not knock you for six as the nicotine content is rather mild, but satisfy oneself until an after dinner smoke perhaps. In any case, the pouch aroma is very pleasant but not overwhelmingly so as with some other aromatics, but I decided, as a prudent pipe smoker should, to smoke it in my trusty cob. The first few bowls I tried not rubbing out the tobacco which is very light in colour and was sorely (literally as my tongue was fried) disappointed-I got nothing out of the bowl apart from tongue bite and an acrid, unpleasant smoke. But by golly how things change! When some reviews talked about flavour changing with the consistency of the tobacco I thought they were joking, but after personal experience I can vouch for it!I would advise rubbing out. This blend is extremely 'easy' sometimes only one light is needed with perhaps one relight throughout the entire bowl, which makes this blend good while doing something else like reading a book outside in the sun or for you older chaps gardening:) The first few puffs reveal little in the way of taste apart from the flowery casing,but the smoke smells delicious which is unfortunate as I sometimes am tempted to inhale through the nose. Mid-bowl the flowery aroma fades and the tobacco flavour comes to the fore with the casing in the background-a very nice combination. I for one prefer the mid bowl and like many other tobaccos this one changes throughout from beginning to end each nice in its own way, although near the end there is a slight gurgle. The smoke is not very thick but whitish, and there is a fine white ash left after the smoke so I do not think this would be good for breaking in a new pipe as the cake buildup is not great. Be that as it may, it's a pity you yanks cannot get a hold of this stuff anymore because it is very enjoyable as a relaxing, none too heavy smoke. I give it 3 stars out of 5.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Boy, did cracking the pouch of Amphora Red bring back a flood of memories! I had regained my youth: My muscles no longer ached, I had (more) hair and I had all my teeth?????..and they were ALL good! I hadn?t seen or smoked this blend for decades. As it is no longer available in the U.S., I ordered some from an overseas mail order firm in Cyprus ($20.99 for 7 pouches including shipping ? 5 week delivery). This tobacco has one of the most delightful pouch aromas I have encountered: sweet and fruity but not overpowering. This is what I remember most about this tobacco. It almost smells good enough to eat. While I did smoke this blend in the past, I more often smoked Amphora Brown. I also had the bad habit of repeatedly calling this stuff AMORPHA, not Amphora, that resulted in a lot of kidding by my co-workers, several of whom smoked Amphora Brown. This was in the late 1960s. In our group of about 20, there were 6 of us who smoked a pipe. It was these other guys who got me hooked on pipe smoking.

But to get to the point, this is a great aromatic with a flavor that is definitely akin to its pouch aroma. Unlike many aromatics, it doesn?t leave goopey residue in the bowl. I did notice, however, that the flavor dissipates somewhat towards the bottom of the bowl but its burning qualities are good. (I like to shred most cavendish blends a bit.) I do not smoke aromatics on a regular basis but I haven?t abandoned them either. If you want a quality aromatic of the Dutch variety, try AMORPHA Red (or is that Amphora Red). A delightful, flavorful and relaxing smoke to be sure!

I rate this tobacco 9.8 out of 10.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Once readily available at drugstores and supermarkets all across America, this surprisingly high-quality Dutch blend is no longer sold in the U.S. Pouches still occasionally pop up from time to time and one can still mail order it from online shops outside the United States. I had expected yet another sticky black Cavendish to lurk within the attractive red pouch, but instead was greeted with a nice dark brown mixture containing quite a bit of broken flake. The pouch aroma is very heavy with a sweet chocolate cherry essence mixed with natural tobacco. I like to break up the mixture a bit as I am a slow puffer, but faster smokers should pack it as is. The room aroma is an extremely pleasant and refreshing blend of natural tobacco (I suspect mainly burley with some Virginia), the fruity citrus essence, and the musty chocolate essence. This aroma disperses very quickly after smoking. The flavor is predominantly one of light burley with the chocolate flavor lurking in the background and the citrus flavor providing a bit of perkiness. It is pleasantly sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. The burley provides a solid medium nicotine strength. While I only smoke this occasionally, I enjoy it immensely every time I do and typically wonder why I don't smoke it more often. It is especially nice during warm weather. I find it very easy to light and keep lit all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Amphora Full Aroma is not to be confused with Amphora Regular which comes in a brown pouch. While somewhat similar, I find Amphora Regular to be the most bland tobacco I have ever tried. Available from Synjeco, Switzerland.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant

This was my favorite aromatic. Kentucky,burley,virginia,and oriental. The kentucky is what gave this blend it's nicotine punch. I loved it! But you can't get it in the USA no more. I found a can of this in a corner Philadelphia cigarette shop about a year ago when nobody else had it. I felt like I just found a diamond in a coal mine. It is a blend to be smoked slow because it had a tendancy to get hot due to the virginia and the flavoring. Fruit Whiff is how the flavoring is described. It's kind of like cherry mixed with roses but it wasn't syrupy. It could also get kind of wet if smoked too fast but there is so much nicotine here in this blend I would sometimes get the hiccups. If you like sweet and high nicotine punch this is your tobacco.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is the only ?industrial? tobacco that can be (sometimes) part of my tobacco collection. The first time I tried it (I obtained it from a corner shop after midnight?) I was surprised by the quality and the appealing aroma. Perhaps this first impression was a result of my poor expectations but later I discovered that I was enjoying it even though I usually smoke either English style tobaccos or VA/Perique ones. It is medium-to-fine cut and its colour ranges from golden-brown to reddish-brown. The pouch aroma is fruity (cherry and grapes/raisin). It packs easily; it smokes cool but wet and stays lit very easily. The fruity (citrus fruits) aroma and flavour remains during smoke (there is also a light chocolate flavour in the background) but it disappears after having finished half bowl. The flavour becomes worst as smoke is progressing towards the bottom of the pipe. Its strength is light-to-medium, while its aroma is medium-to-strong. The room aroma is pleasant but almost overwhelming. It is accepted by other smokers but not so by non-smokers colleagues at work. All in all Amphora Full Aroma is ?possibly recommended? especially when you are out of tobacco and the only source is a corner shop or even a gas station.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a 50g pouch of Amphora Red back in September, 2002 while my ship was at a port visit in Victora, B.C. It was a treat since Amphora is not available in the U.S.

When I first opened the pouch, I was greeted by an overwhelming, straight-up tobacco scent. I didn't pick up on orientals, or the aromatics (vanilla, fruit, or otherwise). The tobacco was slightly rubbed out and packed nicely.

When I lit the first bowl, I wasn't impressed. This blend tasted sort of bland but smelled strong. Again, I couldn't pick up any aromatics at all, so I was a bit perplexed by that.

I had two more bowls in the following two weeks and was ready to say "Not my cup of tea, won't try it again". But, I tossed the pouch in my tobacco cellar and forgot about it, until today, four months later, when I was going through my tobacco stash and deciding what I was going to fire up with.

I said to myself "hey, what the heck, let's give it another whirl". The tobacco didn't seem to be any drier that before, but the distictive "tobacco" odor I had mentioned was considerably more mellow now. I packed my Stanwell and lit. I found I was able to sort out the vanilla and fruit aromatics and was quite pleased. The tobacco was mild, had no bite, and the aroma was just as pleasant, with a hint of what I thought was possibly rasin. Overall, I now have to say that I will keep this one around.

Pros: A mild smoke, pleasing room note. Good for a general "anytime" smoke.

Cons: Got a bit of gurgle mid-way through the bowl that was my signal to relight, upon which the gurgle went away. A stale tobacco taste stayed with me for over 12 hours.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love everything about this tobacco. It's very easy to light & the flavour is fairly full in a (Suttle)way.It offer's a nice clean taste that is easy to live with.The perfect amount of sweetness & richness in a suttle way,that's not over powering. In Australia-Amphora Red (Full Aroma) has been & still is very popular,& I'm not at all surprised. It smokes extremely well to the bottom of the bowl leaving a nice fairly clean ash.It's tasty,trustworthy,reliable & I've never known this tobacco to make any of my pipe's "GOOPEY"!!! And you don't have to rub it out.Just fill your pipe-light it & off you go without fuss!! "If you haven't tried it yet" don't be afraid to. For a Pouch Tobacco I just have to give this (4 out of 5 Star's)

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco can be summed up in one word - easy! Upon opening the pouch you have to have a good strong sniff to get the full aroma, which is fruity and very pleasant if quite mild. The texture is fine and very light brown in colour, not like your typical cavendish blend.

It lights very easy and is easy to keep going, you can puff away quite hard, yet it still burns cool. The flavouring is hard to pin down, the main flavour is definately fruity, I would say honeysuckle. However there are additional flavours which I can only describe as possibly herbal. However the odd thing I find about this tobacco is that the flavour wears off after approximately 1/3 of the bowl, after that it becomes quite flavourless but still very easy to smoke. It leaves a fine ash which doesn't flavour the pipe too much.

I would describe this as a geat beginners tobacco or maybe a good bedtime smoke, due to it's mild but pleasant flavouring. It is not an adventurous tobacco, so you could get bored with it if you smoked it too much. The quality of this tobacco belies it's mass produced manufacture.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

For many years, Amphora Red was my standard working tobacco (that is, the tobacco I always smoked whenever I was working in circumstances that allowed me to smoke.) Although often mocked as a "drugstore" blend, Amphora Red is actually a very high quality Dutch cavendish with an excellent cut and wonderful smoking qualities. It is quite aromatic in both taste and smell, at least through the first half of the bowl, and tastes of both cherry and chocolate flavoring in a way that is not at all like the "cough syrup" taste of most drugstore aromatics. In the second half of the bowl, the blend loses most of its flavoring and reverts to a pleasant, mild tobacco taste. I stopped smoking this when it became unavailable in the States, but I used to smoke it by the pound, and would still smoke it, especially during the hot Texas summer, if it was easily available. All in all, this is by far the best "drugstore" blend I ever smoked, and a blend that compares well to any of the premium aromatics I've smoked.

TDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TDE (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Overview: Amphora Full Aromatic comes in red 50g pouch. A product of the Netherlands, Amphora blends are available everywhere I've traveled. Sight & Touch: Reddish to golden brown in color, this Cavendish has the coarse shred & small flakes typical of Amphora products. Occasionally, new pouches are a little moist, but a little airing and mixing dries it enough to meet my needs without impairing flavour or aroma. Smoking Characteristics: Amphora smokes well without rubbing, just as it comes from the pouch. It's a '1 match' blend that is easy to keep lit with slow, moderately paced draws of light strength. I like it in any pipe ? strait or bent -- and smoke it with equal enjoyment indoors or out.

Nose: Upon opening a new pouch, your nose is greeted with strong, fruity aromas that have faint traces of vanilla & licorice floating around. Although the aroma is strong, there is no ?cough drop? scent that plagues other blends. The initial room note is pleasantly fruity and of medium weight. Unfortunately, it descends too quickly into a staleness I associate with many Burley & Virginia blends.

Mouth: The initial flavour is fruity with pleasant undertones of natural tobacco. This changes a wee bit half way down the bowl into a stronger and darker flavor that is still moderately cool to the mouth and tongue.

Economics: In Canada this blend is low-priced and, coupled with its moderately slow rate of burn, is an economical smoke.

Last Words: Amphora Full Aroma is a wonderful change from Lane, Middleton & Sail products that festoon most corner stores. Out of the 'corner store' blends available to me, Amphora Full Aroma is my 2nd favourite. I rate it at 3 stars out of 5 and usually have it in my tobacco cabinet.

serdalpoyraz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serdalpoyraz (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Nice taste and aroma.This is a Good Amphora.Good grade tobacco, sweat, not so strong in Nicotine.I have just finished a bowl of Amphora Full Aroma for the very first time and this blend is worthy of my review.

Age When Smoked: 33

Haruki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haruki (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Hi any dear

if you are lover of aromatic please try this aroma

that`s mild and great tobacco/summer fruity and chocolat toasted burly nice room note

definitely i recommend

amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing

Pipe Used: GBD/1910

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (25)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

Not too strong and not too mild. Ideal for occasionnal smokers or beginners. It must be the third tobacco I've tried, so I can tell it's ideal for beginners...

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin Formula 1601

milabros1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milabros1981 (10)

A very fine tobacco, ideal for new smokers, as I was when I first tasted it. It gets a little annoying sometimes, especially after several bowls in the row, however it still could be a standard add-on to anyone's tobacco rotation. A small tip, that I read at the Hellenic forum of pipe smokers, would be to ''forget'' it for a while in a jar. That will reveal its flavors and distinctive fruity aroma, as it happened with me.

Yadan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yadan (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A very pleasant tobacco which has been my constant companion for over 45 years. I've never encountered a smoker who disliked it nor a woman who disliked the aroma.

Arctic Briarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arctic Briarian (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This was my first pipe tobacco and I still consider it a very good choice for beginners, especially for those with a cigarette smoking background. I find "Full Aroma", however, quite misleading - I think there is nothing "full" about this. Amphora is neither strong nor very aromatic. I cannot detect much flavoring at all, instead it reminds me of high quality cigarettes. A good smoke but nothing mind blowing and no great complexity.

Amphora is easy to smoke: it lights well and burns well, even if it was packed into the bowl by a newbie; it also is a dry smoke and does not overheat easily.

I still enjoy smoking Amphora whenever I do not feel like experimenting with new tobaccos or when I feel like something...well, neutral. These days I consider this blend the quintessential everyday pipe tobacco.

Aussie-man-die-as Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aussie-man-die-as (13)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I no longer smoke aromatics very much, but when I did this was old "Mr Reliable", and I still have some on hand. I am reviewing it as an aromatic - it would be pointless to compare it with Latakia or Va blends of tobacco.

I first encountered this tobacco around 1970 when I was a callow teenager. I liked it then and I find no difference in the blend now in 2012. The broken flake cut is attractive, the tin odor is to die for if you like citrus fruit, nuts and tobacco, and the room note is the most popular of all my tobaccos (so I am told).

It packs and lights easily, and burns well with the occasional relight (no problem to me). Not too "wet", and with mild tongue bite only, if smoked carefully.

As a "supermarket" or OTC blend it is hard to beat, if you like aromatics. I recommend it, and I dare say it would beat many a "custom" aromatic for flavor and aroma.

This too shall pass.

0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
0 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Best fresh and moist, is worse when you get a old pouch that has been in the shelf for too long which happens to me way too often.

Great flavour, gives me the impression of liquorice and dark chocolate. The taste is just right, and surprisingy full for otherwise this "light" tobacco, it almost feels as if this should be the standard of how tobacco should taste. Strong enough to satisfy you, but not too strong to overwhelm you even if you are not a chain smoker. Burns for medium speed, leaves medium fine ash, is medium in pretty every aspect, but the whole is greater than its parts, and it is perfect.

Not the tobacco that is going to rock your world, but as there is simply nothing wrong in this either, you won't be disappointed.

Premium every day smoke for great price.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A great classic and, despite being offeredin a pouch, or called a "Drugstore blend", AFA beats a lot of "prestigious" offerings on the market. Great cut, great aroma, great burning, great taste - dried fruits, vanilla and coco that are not overwhelming, you taste the tobacco as well - and it smokes DRY all the way down. AFA is superior to offereings like Davidoff, Stanwell, WO Larsen. Highly recommended.

jakpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jakpiper (3)

A few years ago I travelled to St. Claude and bought a Genod freehand from the maker Jacques Craen. He was smoking Amphora Red while he was showing me his pipes and I've read that it is the only tobacco he ever smokes. Not sure if this is actually true. Anyway, I decided to start the pipe off with Amphora and I've been smoking it ever since. I mostly smoke Va's and VaPers, but I still really like Amphora red which I always smoke in the Genod.

AR is a mostly natural tobacco blend. It does have citrus notes although I find it hard to discern a particular casing flavor. The broken flakes are very attractive and the burn is excellent. Most of the flavor is virginia and burley and the room note, so I'm told is pretty nice. If you are looking for an aromatic that burns well and has some tobacco flavor and a good room note, give this a try.

kislyu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kislyu (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I haven't tasted hundreds of blends, but this is my favourite!

HogsBack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HogsBack (3)

For an over the counter corner store brand of tobacco you get up here in the great white north it's about the best I've tried yet. Great for a beginner pipe smoker. Until I find something better I'll be buying this all the time.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is Amphora's best offering with Black CA.

The quality is evident in this product. The long partially broken flakes are superb.

The taste is fruity and vanilly and leaves room for the pure tobacco taste.

I smoke this one not often, but still regularly.

UncleDoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleDoc (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is one of my favorites.Especially when someone else smokes it!It seems that this full aroma blend has rather an original taste and flavor than aromatic ones and it reminds me of oriental tobaccos.The only problem I have with this one is aggravation of my acid peptic disease! Nice choice for professionals and those who look for a natural non aromatic tobacco!

mr_beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr_beard (3)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A wholesome smoke with citrusy undertones and a hint of raisin.

It smokes right to the end, with very few re-lights and no tongue bite or residue in the bowl.

A decent supermarket pouch, definitely worth a try.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

A good well reputed and easily available packet, I'd say the Full Aroma is somewhat nicer than the orignal, but both are very smokeable. I get a fruity, floral, nutty flavor, just as the it say on the packet. Good budget blend.

Blackmore88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackmore88 (1)

I find this blend very satisfying for an every day smoke, nice aroma, no nasty after taste. I never had to relight my pipe with this blend, i smoked the whole bowl without relighting my pipe. Its cheap and available almost everywhere. overall 4 out of 4, for a blend of this price range.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I have smoked Amphora Red maybe a couple of times in my whole life of pipe smoker. This is the third, and now remember why A(R) is not in my recurring list: it's a mild and quite anonimous aromatic.

Nothing unpleasant, nor anything worth to get hooked on, also. Should I think to an every-day tobacco, my current go-to is elsewhere in the "regular" cathegory, not this one that also seems designed for the uninvolved pipe smoking. Basically, the fact is that I smell a pleasant complex mix of aromas over a weak tobacco base. So, the question is: why should I smoke this ?

Nevertheless, I must admit this is not the terrible garbage that H&H (the EU's one, I mean) is, nor a bad incendiary dutch as I experienced with Schipper's. Plus, several fellow pipsters like it, there must be a reason.

I will not finish the third pouch, I'm sure. Shall try to mix with something (maybe McConnell's Red Virginia, just to remain into the same colour...).

Sorry, this is maybe my worst review... Amphora Red has not helped my imagination that much.

Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watson (20)

Unfortunately there is a limited gamut of pipe tobaccos in Greece, and this is the reason why I always order tobacco from abroad. Amphora is one of the 10 - 12 blends you may find in a Greek tobacco store and I shall agree completely with "takisg" (who, I guess comes also from Greece) concerning the Amphora Red. Though, tasteful and nicely flavoured with beautiful aroma has the same drawback as the majority of the imported tobaccos in Greece. It is moist enough and you have to get it dry first if you wish to avoid bites. (I recommend to put it in a grocer's paper bag for at least 2 days). Definitely one of the best tobaccos one can buy in Greece, when he is forced to choose among 10 – 12 blends…

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

A nice coincidence. Like Steden (previous reviewer) I also began smoking pipes 19 years ago and this was the first tobacco which I smoked. When I was a student, with small budget, I prefered to smoke Amphora full aroma almost daily. It was better then other cheap blends and very easy to find. It is a particular blend, with a cool and satisfying smoke. But can not be a real tobacco for a "natural" pipe smoke lover like me. It is very fruity for my taste. I'll surely smoke it also in the future but just for the memory of the old days.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (85)

This was my first tobacco when I started smoking a pipe 19 years ago, since then it has probably changed (and me too...). I honestly do not know the current version but will not remember raspberry nor flowers, so my review is half-way between Xeneize and Pipestud.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

Not as good as the Black Cavendish type. I just don not like orange and red fruit in my tobacco. It is an ok blend, but did not please my tastes. Wil not get it again.

"PUFF" Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
"PUFF" (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco was, and still is, one of my"temporary" smokes, while waiting for good English tobacco to arrive in the mail. Upon opening the 50 gram pouch, I was met with a pleasant, but low-key aroma that seemed dry and unexciting. Filling a lightly packed bowl yielded a tolerable to satisfactory smoke. I found also this blend to have a heck of a "bite" to it if smoked 'hard'. Best smoked gently I think.

The current issue of this tobacco is not as good as the same label of 2-3 years ago. i.m.h.o.

Quality of leaf is mediocre, but after a few pipes,the subtle tobacco flavors do come through. Perhaps a good smoke for the beginning pipe smoker, not a bad "drug-store" tobacco at all.

d'Pappy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
d'Pappy (4)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Kinda new to the pipe smoking hobby. Finding tobacco locally is problematical, thus I'm trying the 'grocery store' offerings. Can't say I'm too impressed with this blend, but I reckon breaking in a new pipe probably has something to do with it. Certainly won't be giving up, particularly as the going price here for a 50gram pouch is darn near $22 Canadian. No kiddin'!

I'll get more 'eloquent' with my discriptive terminology as time goes one, but one thing I notice is how the tobacco makes my throat feel 'raspy' in very short order (even though I'm smoking it slowly & smoothly). I do like its aroma, though (room note?). That's a plus.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that for now and see how things go as time passes. Cheers, d'Pappy

Drlawgr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Drlawgr (6)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

IMO this is a good cheap tobacco. Has some light taste, smells somewhat nicely, and room smells somewhat good. I use this tobacco, as an "emergency" one, in case I run out of my regular Black Cherry, and try to always keep one in my car glove comp. Not that bad of a smoke though; probably the best of all "cheap tobaccos" out there! Grade:B

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

this is a good quality drug store blend,,,natural i would say,,the taste is byond aromatic by many miles,,V sweetness cn be sensed easily in this one,,easily lit and hold fire perfectly,,with few tampings it burns into a very fine ash aroma is not wt u r willing to imoress others with eventhu many ppl liked it,,good stuff i would consider buying more

Medhat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medhat (3)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Weel, i have smoked it as my 2nd type of tobbaco, and it's very very mild, like im smokin hot air!, but smells nice and easy for new smokers like me, after all i find it nice smoke and easy one.

Thx Medhat, Egyptian PipeSmoker.

ithomka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ithomka (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Very good blend of virginia-burley-orient-kenucky tobaccos with a very light flower and vanilla aroma. Favourite 17 years ago.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)

I'm doing this review from memory, as it is no longer available in the USA. I picked up a bunch of pouches of this while we stopped in Mexico while on a cruise. I liked it - it had a nice floral, mild fruity taste, and once in a great while I think I tasted some Orientals. I would buy this if it were still available. If you ever get a chance to buy a pouch, try it. I think most pipesters would like it.

Pipers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers (19)

Amphora-As the name testifies-"Am for another tobacco". This comes across as a smooth tasting (floral notes) and mild aromatic. However you'll soon find out that it leaves the tongue nipped and the pallatte a little worn out. Nothing worse in a pipe tobacco than having to wait as a result of tough treatement for the next pipe!

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Strong

Like a lot of folks, I starting my pipe-smoking journey with Amphora Red back in the 70s. I must admit I quite liked it. Two years ago while in the UK, I searched for this blend as it is unavailable in the US. Guess what, I couldn't find it there either.

I eventually secured some from a duty-free shop on the internet from England. I almost wish I hadn't. This is not the same tobacco that was around in the 70s. It has its moments, but I can only tolerate it in certain pipes: mostly the pipes that I smoked it in during the 70s.

It is still one of the few aromatics that I smoke along with a couple of Browns offerings such as Vegas 64, Brown's Vanilla and Planta Vanilla Flake.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)

Amphora was my father's choice and my godfather's choice when I was just a toddler. Way back when, I was thrilled by the room note.

Understandably, 20 years ago when I first picked up the pipe smoking habit, this was my first choice. My impression at the time was that all was fine but a stale room note would develop if you did not ventilate your area sufficiently after smoking.

Since then I stayed off pipe smoking for an extensive interval until I picked it up again. Now, my considerations are different.

I tried Amphora (Red) again and I felt something was missing. True, I did not find this pronounced "stale odor" any more. But, at the same time I did not get any enthusiastic remarks about room note.

This blend burns quite hot and it tends to scorch my tongue. After the first pouch I thought of never buying Amphora red again. For old times sake, and being somewhat swayed by the reviews here, I did buy another one. If I ever buy another one this will be just because I will have no other choice... (I Agree with the reviewers who say that this is good quality tobacco - way above the usual drugstore OTC blends, I just think that one can do much better.)

A reviewer mentions that one might go full circle and end up with Amphora red again. I doubt it. If you can afford the extra cost you should try other Blends, Mac Baren's Golden Ambrossia for example.

Valerio320 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valerio320 (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Amphora red was one of my first tobaccos and, till now, remains a truly pleasant smoke to which I now and then go back with much joy. The mixture is well balanced, and the fruity taste is nicely put together with natural tobacco, giving a pleasant and relaxing smoke. A very good product in the best Amphora tradition.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Mild, tobacco, great odor-

It is in fact a better quality Drug Store type tobacco, Yes, I will smoke it when I can. I think the Nostalgia is mostly due to lack of availibility in the US (due to the litigious nature of americans and fear of legal issues for Imperial) I would smoke it as a mild, treat if it were handy. I will not bother to order it from Europe for what it is. For a somewhat similar, but not equal quality pouch style, I would pick Sail, Troost, or House of Windsor.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

I too have developed some cake from this blend....I actually think that for what it is, it is a four star tobacco. But I don't smoke a lot of what it is. What is it? A good base blend. Absolutely good, but with a tongue coating flavor I have to scrape away every 30 seconds with my teeth. That hurts. only once in a green moon for me. entschuldigung, aber nur zwei sterne. Prost! Rauchen ist gesund.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The Amphora and Mac Baren range ot tobaccos is what I cut my aromatic teeth on, so to speak. Though I have moved away from aromatics, frequently I am gifted some by kindly but non-smoking friends who ask the shop assisstant for the most popular tobacco. So I have a cache of Amphoras, Mac Barens, Larsens and Captain Blacks. To some extent the enjoyment of Amphora Red is due to nostalgia. (Unaffected by nostalgia, Captain Blacks are practically unsmokeable for me.) But over the years I have come to have high regard for this tobacco. The basic tobaccos are of high quality and the taste does not cloy. I am lucky in that the SO likes the smell of burning latakia: but Amphora pleases her as well. Anyone wanting to explore the world of aromatics could do worse than beginning with this blend. He could just find himself coming full circle.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)

Hot and dry, even when newly opened was always my impression of Amphora Red, but it was easily available in almost any newsagents when I was a student in London in the mid-seventies. It always disappointed me, but was better than the awful Clan, and less biting than Holland House. Knowing what I now know I think HH could have been a great tobacco if I'd known then how to smoke it. At least Amphora Red doesn't have such heavy casings that are thick and syrupy like some aromatics. It, Sail and Capt. Black are still available in these puritan days in the rural Canadian village where I now live, but I never buy any of them. Aromatic smokers stick to their favourite concoctions because they fear the strength of english mixtures - at least, I did for many years. Anyone who smokes Amphora, should know there are far better, milder, less hot and more tasty english-style tobaccos out there waiting to be tried.

prinakis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prinakis (13)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Okay, first of all this is a tobacco you can find everywere. The price is good. It tastes fine to me especially in the middle of the bowl, it bites a lot and it's dry.But the particularity of this one is that the taste always takes you away all the day. I'ts an all day tobacco to have in your collection. Don't know what to smoke today? Smoke an amphora!

I was fortunate to get an old tin version of Amphora Red off Ebay not too long ago. Did this one ever bring back memories of my early days of pipe smoking. Nostalgia in a can!

I would not call this a bell ringer or a sublime way to spend your day with a favorite pipe, but it was a good, solid smoke with decent all-tobacco flavor and it was plenty cool. I don't think this stuff could bite even the wimpy tongued brats among us. (-;

Pipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipey (17)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the WORST tobaccos i have ever smoked.

It was like a pouch of dried out sticks, and had a nearly unbearable flavour.

There are many, many good aromatics out there, and since smoking does actually kill you, you may as well smoke something worth dieing for. This is one that should be left on the shelf - think drum tobacco smoked in a pipe.

Sorry to all those that enjoyed it, this is one of the only tobaccos sold in New Zealand, and we are definately the worse for it.

Air Commodore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Air Commodore (8)

Very good everyday tobacco that is readily available. Having returned to pipe smoking after a break of 24 years I am presently doing the 'trying out thing' and found this to be one of my favourite 'vin ordinaire' mixtures.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Strong

Amphora Red was my everyday tobacco when I first started smoking a pipe. But when it disappeared from U.S. stores I moved on to other things... and many of those o"other things" sure made me wish "Red" was still available here. If it ever comes back I'll certainly buy some. Rated it highly because I liked it a ton and smoked it every day for years.

Tiger

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

OK This can be found at my local wallgreens but the packages are very very very old and felt hard and dried out. This stuff I guess was for some time not available in the US so this must have been old left over stuff. I had heard so much about this that while on a trip to Europe I made a point of getting a pouch (6.50 Euros is a bit expensive but hey) anyhow this stuff is decidedly easy to smoke and stays lit pluss does not bit however I did not find it exiting and the final part of the bowl is not as great as the start. I liked it and if out of tobacco and in another country with none of my regualr blenda available this would be a first choice for shure. definaately the better of the pouch blends I have ever had. If you can you should give it a try just as I did. This blen remindsme of Navy Flake without as much honey and some fruits added.

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)

This is a good tobacco. It is one of the few tobacco's of my homeland that I think is good. It is not expensive and good for an allday smoke. But it is not a very special tobacco. I think it is a bit "middle of the road" however, at the better side of the middle. I mostly have some of it in my cabinet, but I don't panic when it is not.

I think it will be difficult to get better tobacco for the same price.

It is the second time that I try an Amphora tobacco (first was with Vintage Malt Whiskey), and it is the second time I get disappointed. This tobacco seems to be a popular choice, one of the most widespread aromatic cavendishes here in Italy: I thought it might be good, so why not give it a try? Well, it is not bad, I just find it a bit boring. Upon opening, the pouch has a wonderful smell of vanilla, orange flowers and the like. The cut is fine, making it child's play to light and keep lit: alas, it burns a bit too hot and wet for my taste. Tongue bite is not excessive, but the smoke is rather harsh in the mouth. And what about the taste? The first bowls I had were rather sweet and with hints of citrus aroma. Not my favorite kind of aroma (I like Latakia!), but not bad at all. When I got used to it, after a few days, all the faults started to come out: the aroma vanishes in the second half of the bowl (typical of this kind of aromatics...), leaving with one of the dullest tobaccos I have ever tried. The room aroma is very sweet, vanilla-like, very "kind" to non-smokers... Well, I'd rather smoke some TRUE tobaccos on the balcony rather than smoking this bland stuff indoors just because it pleases the other people... As a conclusion: I have nothing against Amphora, and this Full Aroma is probably one of their best blends... but I'd rather stick to more exciting stuff. If I want to smoke something that is flower/fruit flavored, I'll keep using my narghile with the delicious Egyptian molasses tobaccos made by Nakhla!

Greytata Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greytata (9)

After several years of absence, I bought again a packet of Amphora Red, just to remember how it was like. And besides the fact that it is a great, well "mixed" tobacco, I find it a bit wet for everyday smoke. No tongue bite, easy, slow burning, a very decent and pleasant smoke,on occasion.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I haven't meet any pipe smoker who haven't tried Amphora before. There is a reason why I suppose. Cause the packaging looks good? Maybe because it is like a ready rubbed quality flake? Too bad I am not the mood for virginia these days. If so this would be pretty cool. It is made of good quality aged Vs. All the flavoring of this mixture intentional brings out the Vs with no other agenda. The casing is pretty heavy but never over powering the main course. Like the casing in all quality aromatic, you can't laid your finger on it...cherry?...raisins? Spring flowers?...oranges?...it changes with the burning temp and the course of the bowl....but in every changes you are still very focus on the Vs. A fine dish it is if you are a V lover...and like all good Vs...beware of the hidden strength

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

October-2003. Well at least Amphora Red is still consistant as always when I picked up a pouch recently while on a fishing trip. I still say its one of the best pouch aromatic tobaccos around,which is still easily obtainable.I also enjoyed the change of pace. The quality in Amphora Red by far out-weighs many other sweet sickly smokes,no goop here. This aromatic gets 8 out of 10.

elpheasant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elpheasant (6)

The other day when I was out on a beer run, I decided to check out the liquor store's smoke shop, just to see what the pickins were like. I just about yelped when I saw a pack of Amphora Red sitting on the shelf smiling at me, since I understand this is no longer imported to the U.S. I looked at the price, which was 99 cents, and I suspected that it was a leftover from the old days. I thought, "oh, heck, it's only a buck!" and quickly snatched it up. When I got home, the tobacco seemed a little dry, but I thought I'd still give it a whirl. It turned out to be one of the best smokes of the week.

A classic one-match light, I immediately noticed the delicious aroma. It smelled of fruit and blossoms, just like the package promised. About half-way down, a slightly stronger favor developes. Others have identified it as raisins, which I agree with, but there's also a little cinnamon in there. Towards the end, the taste of natural tobacco comes to the fore.

This was a great back porch smoke. I can't think of any better way to enjoy the sunset.

-El Pheasant

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a very tasty weed in the same vein as skandinivak(sp?) and Mixture. I find it to be a good all day tobacco when I want a lighter cavedish with a little spice to it. It is ashame that I had to order it from Synjeco in Switzerland or I would smoke it more often. I love the intermingling of citrus and berry. It can bite but is an easy beast to master. I find myself craving this quite often and nothing else will do.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (32)

I remember this well because, when I was first starting out with Grabows and Bic lighters, I got 5 pouches of this to entertain myself with.

It's pretty good for a drugstore tobacco, just don't expect much from it. I wouldn't smoke this unless I ran out of my normal aromatics.

As it is, it's a rather pedestrian blend, but it has good raisin notes and a fairly stable tobacco base. You could do a lot worse than this with some premium-named tobaccos.

Give it a try. Even if it's not to your liking, it's not a huge waste of money. Good value, in my opinion.

Cirdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cirdan (13)

I'd already smoked a pouch of this, and found it to be a nice, not so commercial, aromatic expedition; not to wet or hot, though lacking ... something. One day, an uncle of mine, knowing of my pipe habits, gave my the remains of his pipe period (certainsly no more then a day or two, as he is a fallower of the strictest cigarret habits): an spitfire bent billiard pipe and a pouch of Amphora Aromatic, an old one, nothing similar to the thing I had - nearly no smell over the creamy cavendish. SURPRISING! I still have that one and ocasionaly by a new one, just for old time sake.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

Seeing two new reviews of Amphora put me in a frame of mind to recommend the red pouch, "full aroma". This is a quality aromatic weed, very mild, but with a totally inoffensive flavouring and quite a bit of broken virginia flake in the pouch. I don't think it's available in the states any longer, but in Canada it's one of the cheaper weeds going, and well worth a try. This tobacco is totally undeserving of its "drugstore" rep, but the same cannot be said of other Amphoras (esp Brown). Though too mild for my needs on a regular basis, totally recommended for new smokers (WAY better than Capn Black, just as easy to smoke). I try to never leave the house without enough quality weed on me to sustain me through any calamity, but if in a pinch, it's good to know Amphora Red is there for me if I need her.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

Hey, I found this stuff!!!!

Old package in a old store. I'll make this one quick. This blend is similar to Skandinavik Full Aroma. Nice aromatic tobacco. The smoker is not swamped by some berry blast. Smooth and nice.

The tobacco was a little dry mainly due to the age of the pouch. Refer to my review of Skan Full Aroma as this is very very similar.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

I got this unsolicited on a trade. Being an admitted drugstore-tobacco snob, I didn't smoke this for a while. On one of those what-the-heck days, I gave it a shot.

Hey, not bad. I didn't have the flavor descriptors, so I didn't know what to expect. I didn't pick out any particular flavorings, and I wouldn't have known that it WAS flavored except for the "aroma" in the name. Maybe this is because my sample was older and pretty dry. It smoked easily, pleasantly, with a decent flavor level. Not complex, but a comfortable, no-brainer smoke. I now keep the pouch in the trunk of my car in case I have a smoking opportunity.

Hesam1980 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hesam1980 (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

one of the best aromatics but it's very mild,real good for beginners.

MikeB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeB (15)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a great stand by if you are out of tobacco and in a crunch, you can get this everywhere. The pouch aroma is very sweet and quite pleasant.

It burned well but was a little too wet for me.

All in all I did enjoy it but it won't bee on my list untill I run out of my current tobacco.