Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] What Are You Smoking? April, 2024

Page 1 / 9

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

April Fools! I’m not smoking anything right now, I just wanted to kick off this month’s thread. 😃

312 Replies
Lee
 Lee
Noble Member

😄 Nice!

Well, no April fool here! I’m off to watch the football - as in, proper football, where a ball mainly comes into contact with a foot! Copenhagen F.C. versus Brøndby F.C. - the biggest rivalry in Danish football!! 😊

So, anyway, I’m taking a pipe, of course. Smoking on the terraces, not only of tobacco (😉) is kind of allowed. I couldn’t think of a better tobacco to take than Director’s Cut. A pleasant taste and a not unpleasant smell. In a trusty BriarWorks Classic. Loaded up on the train there, ready! 😊

1711966966-IMG_1998.jpeg
6 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

Here we are! 😄

1711974006-IMG_2008.jpeg
Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

A pause in the game while the smoke clears! 😄 The atmosphere is wild!

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

I should probably add, the smoke is from fireworks, not my pipe! 😉

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

A spirited 1-2 defeat for “my team”, FC København.

I lived in Copenhagen for 8 years, before moving to the countryside. I follow the “rule” that you should always support the team closest to where you were born, or closest to where you live (if you’re an immigrant). So, FC København is my team now 😊

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

Btw, I overheard a few, “Mmmmm… det dufter dejligt“ remarks around me, (“Mmmmm… it smells lovely!”)

ugdabug

Reputable Member

My god! Is everyone smoking?....... 😉 

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

Squeezing in a bowl of Solent Mixture in a calabash before a lot of driving around today. 

1711996755-IMG_5518.jpeg
Joseph
Prominent Member

B-Frog’s STAMPEDE KEK in my Birth-year Bruyere. Another “off-the-wall” creation of Ken Byron’s (in a good way 😉). This one is a VaPer crumble-plug cased with chocolate, coffee and dark rum.

1711998206-IMG_3386.jpeg
2 Replies
Nick R

Noble Member

That one sounds amazing!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Definitely sounds interesting. I’ve had that one for a while but I haven’t tried it yet. I think it’s going to be high on my list to open when I get off the Latakia. 

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

Billy Budd in a Mastro de Paja Rhodesian. 

1712018578-IMG_5254.jpeg
Nick R
Noble Member

Round 2 with Carolina Red Flake with Perique. Much better than round 1🙂

Eminent Member

this month rotation

dunhill BB1938 which is finishing

frog Morton log which is finishing

sansepolcro 2024

hal o the Wynd

1 Reply

Eminent Member

Replacing the 5 year old Dunhill BB1938 

will be frog Morton log and McClelland Scottish woods.

caught a bad flu so I have not touched any tobacco for 7 days. Hopefully I get better soon. 

Lee
 Lee
Noble Member

Back to work today. So, a bowl of Irish Flake is in order on my return home. Smoked in my new Rossi prince 😊

1712070676-IMG_2022.jpeg
2 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

One of my cheaper pipes and smokes like a dream. It will get a lot of use, that’s for sure!

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Rossi pipes are made by Savinelli and are excellent smokers. 

Nick R
Noble Member

I opened a tin of Eileen's Dream. Usually I am in for the duration, but I have been on such a VaPer kick lately that I don't see myself and Eileen as exclusive this go around.

2 Replies
ugdabug

Reputable Member

I'll give er a good home if you like.

Nick R

Noble Member

LOL!  We are not breaking up!  More of an open relationship 🙂 

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I’m smoking Mac Baren Latakia Rolls in an Ehrlich meerschaum. 

1712084002-IMG_2672.jpeg
Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

G.L. Pease Odyssey in one of my squat bulldogs.

ATW
Reputable Member

Finished up a bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic in my bent cob. Haven't really smoked a pipe too much this week. Work has been hell and my sleep schedule has been bad. But I have been enjoying J.M. Boswells Old School went I can. And that got me into my OTC kick. I'm ready to get a tub of Carter Hall but I've bought alot of stuff the last couple of months and need to calm down before my wife uses my spending as an excuse for her spending lol

Nick R
Noble Member

War Horse Green in a small cob.

1712160446-20240403_094509.jpg
Erik
 Erik
Estimable Member

Just finished an IRC 3 Star Green in a Missouri Meerschaum.  I really enjoyed it. 

I’m making small steps daily, and today I managed to actually keep it cool enough to coax the flavor out. 🤗 

Hello fellow pipers. Not new to the pipe , just picking it back up here and there in a vintage meerschaum lined bent Italian Harriels pipe from my dads old ( i have some Falcons from the late 50s) collection.Usually a cigar enthusiast but i had to come comment on a blend my brother in law bought me for Christmas.  Garveys balkan. Now, im not generally a latakia fan but this blend definitely changed my mind. It has the light cold aroma of sweet rubber tires but once lit its very pleasant.  Quite enjoyable actually. Im usually in the Cavendish and cherry/ vanilla camp, this one changed my mind kind of like when i went from hating drinking ipas to daily drinking. I suppose its a learned taste one needs to retrain the taste buds to accept.   Whoever blended this, thank you. 

2 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Welcome to the forum from Spain.

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

First time trying this in my over smoked and under rested Mastro de Paja Rhodesian. 

1712173850-IMG_5997.jpeg
4 Replies
Joseph

Prominent Member

Well? How do you like it?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

This may be my first ever thumbs down to a KBV blend, but I will need to smoke it more before I say that for sure. The casings were in the forefront to me, vanilla/tonquin/anise? Somewhat similar to War Horse Bar. That struck me as an odd pairing to both Latakia and Rustica as well as I wasn’t expecting such strong casing on what are already rather bold tobaccos which are quite flavorful by themselves, hence I need time to decide if that works for me. It almost smoked like some strange, strong aromatic. More of a novelty experience than a serious blend. 

I could pick out the components (after the casing) for the first half of the bowl, but the second half was pretty much just Latakia and casing. No harshness.

Very strong nicotine wise which I like, but I believe it would be in the un-smokable range for many pipe smokers, which does ring true from the description. 

I wanted to like it just because I’ve had such pleasant experiences with KBV. 🙁

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Latakia, Rustica with heavy casing?. It doesn't sound very attractive for me.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

No, such flavorful tobaccos, it’s a shame to bury that under heavy flavoring. 

Joseph
Prominent Member

Yet another first tasting for me, with more to come. Just a quick nightcap - a small bowl of KBV “The Oriental Affair” in a Peterson Demi-churchwarden paired with a special treat - my son’s home-brewed mead (12% ABV) 😋

1712207187-IMG_3389.jpeg
5 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

How it was?. I´m curious about this Oriental.

Joseph

Prominent Member

…wasn’t impressed, but, can’t really tell yet. Had very spicy Indian food just before, and then made the mistake of pairing the smoke with sweet honey mead. The result was a very confused palate. 

Joseph

Prominent Member

…on a more technical level, it seems to be a Virginia-Oriental semi-Lakeland Aromatic which has at least 5 component tobaccos, (no Latakia or Perique).

About specific leaf, KBV discloses only that it uses “imported reds” and “Turkish Orientals”.

Hard to pick out all the added fragrances. There’s chocolate, and something floral, but they’re not alone.

1712256120-IMG_3391.jpeg
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Impressive sorting!

Joseph

Prominent Member

Definitely not OCD or on the spectrum 🤥🤥🤥🙄

Joseph
Prominent Member

Posted by: Ted

It almost smoked like some strange, strong aromatic. More of a novelty experience than a serious blend. 

Perfect review! Very good way to put it, too!!! It’s not for everyone, that’s for sure!!! It’s exactly as you described (much better than I could). I’m a sucker for aromatics, and for novelties. I certainly won’t smoke it often, but I’m glad it’s among the blends on my shelf. I just ordered B-Frog’s “Mountains of Madness” as a follow-up to Götz. Have you tried that one? If so, how does it compare?

2 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Thanks. I have not tried Mountains of Madness, but I’m sure I will after you post your thoughts on it 😃

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

I've tried Mountains but not Gotz. It was okay. So many good english blends out there... hard to stand out. Smoking Sleepy Dragon now and same feeling 🤷 LOVED Golden Age though! That stuff is why I'm on his website everyday 😂 Cheers!  

nach0
Noble Member

Smoking some blockade runner in my usual cob. First smoke of this month. 👍 👍 

Joseph
Prominent Member

@BriarBerg if you can do so without spoilers or breaking NDAs, we’d love to see some of the unreleased prototypes you’re smoking. We won’t tell 🤫

5 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

I’m smoking Anthology in one of the two new pipes, (I haven’t decided), that arrived this week.

Oh… btw, the robot arrived today and is a brand new addition to my after-school Robotics Club 😊

1712258831-IMG_2030.jpeg
Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

Damn, that was good! A month in the jar has really improved what was already an excellent blend. Caramel, raisins, bread, hay, grass… it’s a complex and satisfying smoke from start to finish. No tongue-bite and surprisingly little moisture (given its moisture content fresh out of the jar).

I used the Savinelli Armonia Acorn, which I’m very happy with. All-in-all, a memorable smoking session.

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

Oops! Just realised I mistakenly replied to you, @Joseph, instead of the general thread 😄 Sorry, mate!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

The robot looks like it about to shoot your pipes with an eyeball laser beam. 

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

😄 It doesn’t have a laser beam, but it’s pretty cool nonetheless. It has the brain of an 8GB Raspberry pi and some low-level AI capabilities, (facial recognition among them).

Page 1 / 9

target="_blank"