Peterson Early Morning Pipe

(3.13)
Sweet Oriental carefully blended with bright and red Virginias, pressed and lightly stoved. Great as the "first pipe" arousing the palate for the further pleasures of the day.
Notes: Alfred Dunhill’s blending has produced for this ‘Early Morning Pipe’ a tobacco that will charm away the cobwebs-leave one aroused and eager for the day’s round. A delicate blend of gentle Virginia and flavourful Turkish. – late 1970’s. Oriental tobacco is carefully blended with bright and red Virginia, pressed and lightly stoved, enhanced by medium fired latakia. -1985 Previously released by Murray's and Sons, UK. Formerly known as Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, STG has changed the brand name from "Dunhill" to "Peterson".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.13 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 31 - 40 of 605 Reviews
Sep 20, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a classically English blend. When I think of what an English should taste like, this is what I think of. Yes, it is a lighter English, but that is the point of the blend. If you are like me and love a pipe in the morning but don't like the heavier blends early on then this is a blend for you. It has a mild sweetness about it which I like. The Latakia has notes of campfire, earth and are a little sweet but does not overpower the Orientals and VA. The Orientals have a slightly sour note that reminds me of butter milk (in a good way). The VA's add some complexity to the blend. The red is tangy and slightly fruity. The lemon adds citrus notes and notes of hay. This blend is complex like a Davidoff Classic is complex. Mild does not mean bland. If you are newer to the pipe you will miss all the nuances, but with time and patience it is a wonderful first bowl of the day. The finish on this is short for an English blend and I like that because it allows me to pick up another blend and not loose everything it has to offer which is unlike what many English blends tend to do for me.
Age When Smoked: 1 yr.
Mar 20, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I love this blend. Early Morning Pipe has been one of my favorite mixtures for the decade that I have been smoking. It's light, subtle, and simple. It's clear in other reviews that this is an issue for a lot of pipemen. For me, however, this is it's strength. It packs easily. It smokes so easily, so effortlessly, that it's hard to for it to turn on you.

This is a tobacco for the beginning of the day, when blowing out your palate with a full flavored leaf is ill advised. This is a blend that you can puff on while you go about some chore or duty. This is a utilitarian blend to be smoked when the act of smoking your pipe isn't your focus.

Happy puffing.

Pipe Used: OMS Poker
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Nov 12, 2014 Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable
Any similarity between this and the original Dunhill Early Morning of years gone by is not even in the realm of possibility. This stuff, made in Denmark is apparently residue from the floor sweepings of the old Scandanavian blends. I smoked Dunhill for years and even had several private blends with them. This is not even close to anything Dunhill ever put their name on. Newbies may like it for the name but certainly not for the reputation. Ordered 8 ounces of this stuff and am still trying to find someone I dislike to give it to.
Pipe Used: Dunhill Bruyere Collector
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: Upon receipt
Jun 28, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
I only had a sample of this but enough to make a mark on me an to write a review. This is another awesome blend. No aromatics. The tobacco heap in my hand was just ..... oriental. Its like walking somewhere in the middle east; or maybe on a tour of Paul's missions to Laodicea, Philippians, Corinth, back to Syria. OK, so the Oriental / Latakia is there. And I like that lot. The same notes of the fresh tobacco was also the room note.

The nice thing is; that "overpowering" Oriental smell was just rightly balanced in the bowl. You smell it when you exhale, but on the palate, a well balanced smokiness and a touch of sweetness. I don't know if it was the coffee or the tobacco, but I had a lingering and satisfying sweet spicy creamy after taste on my tongue.

I can see why its Early Morning - the tastes you like (Latakia & Oriental), yet not in quantities that will shock you back to reality.

Highly recommended.
Pipe Used: Meerschaum
May 06, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant
This is a superb blend that is flavorful but not too strong. A mild English blend with rich flavor. And what a glorious aroma! Great for all hours of the day. Doesn't need any special drying. Consistently great flavor,especially good in older English pipes. I've stopped smoking anything else. It gradually builds in strength as you move from the top to the bottom of the bowl, but never is overwhelming. If you like Squadron Leader,Skiff, Rattray's Red Rapparre, 221 Baker street, King Charles and the like, you must try Early Morning: it is the most flavorful of the bunch. Note: this blend is, in my opinion, superior to the old Murray blend: the ingredients are of higher quality and it is much smoother than the older, greatly over-rated blend. The only other blends in it's class are Dunhill's London Mixture, which has too much Latakia for me, and Dunhill's Royal Yacht, which is similar but with added sweetness. p.s. when E.M.P. was unavailable, many other companies tried to replicate it--with very limited success. I've noted some peppery accents in the middle to late bowl. You should go for the original & best.
Pipe Used: English pipes,mainly pre-trans Barling,Charatan
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: fresh to several years oof aging
Aug 17, 2012 Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable
I highly recommend the blend as I do any of the famous name blends among pipe tobaccos. And don't get me wrong I do enjoy it and it does share an affinity with coffee. My only problem is that I find that Squadron Leader fills this niche better for me.

With all of that said I have wonderful memories of looking out over the northwest Michigan woods this summer at my 80 acre retreat (deer camp) watching the sunrise after restoking last night's fire. With a cup of coffee in one hand and a pipefull of EMP in the other. I didn't pack any SL on that particular trip, but it didn't matter.

I don't know anything about this blend before Orlik, but I do like it as it is.
Dec 03, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
A fine blend. I like this as a wake up but I would think this might be too strong and maybe too much smokiness( Latakia?) for some in the early morning . I love the stringy cut that makes packing and lighting easy. Immense smoky Oriental flavor with a slight sour lemon background . Although Latakia is not listed , I find this smoky .Allow this to breath some in the tin before you load up or it will steam. No bite, big flavor, smooth, all day anytime smoke.

It's a great "on the go blend" no messing around rubbing it out, charing lights , tamping, just stuff the pipe, hit it with a match and smoke. When packing, I like to roll the tobacco in a tight ball and stuff the one piece into the top of the bowl. This method tends to smoke slower and less ashy.I Always have a tin close at hand.

Do you want something milder but similar, try Germains, King Charles Mixture?
Apr 29, 2020 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Well, a classic English blend. Fresh outside the tin you can smell the orientals and the latakia. Red Virginia is present but not dominant when you light it up. If you choose to cellar this tobacco, it's going to develop a sweet taste and the leatherness of the latakia will fade away but in a positive way.

Burns cool without any tonge bite.
Pipe Used: Briar
Oct 22, 2008 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
While I can't find any strong fault with this baccy, I can't find anything with it to get excited about.

Came a little too dry, Packed and lit easily, but doesn't stay lit well. Taste seemed a little fruity to start out, went bland by the half way mark and got a little nippy close to the bottom with a slight bitterness creeping in. The Virginias were there until about half way down and then there was no obvious distinction of any particular tobacco.

My overall impression is of blandness. According to some of the glowing reviews below, maybe I had a bad batch but, I can't really recommend this above 2 stars.
Feb 25, 2004 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
The first tobacco I tried after many years of cigarette smoking.

The tin has a great smell, but when smoked it is rather bland.

Not as mild as someone might expect, but I prefer stronger and tastier stuff like Nightcap.

As a whole, a well-balanced, pleasant tobacco: sometimes I like to smoke it. It is simple, never boring, and in some moments of the day it is just what I need, but not usually the kind of taste I am looking for.

UPDATE February 2004: With some more experience, and some slower puffing, it's actually quite a tasty blend. It's quite stout and "heavy" on the throat and palate, and quite nicotine-laden. Its toasted/oriental taste reminds a bit of Gawith's Squadron Leader. It can get a bit bitter towards the end of the bowl.

One of the most stable Dunhill products, quality wise.

UPDATE February 2011: After having enjoyed the most recent version by Orlik of London Mixture, I decided to give another try to this classic. Well, it seems that Orlik did a good job in recreating it! Sure, the tobaccos could be more mature, but the percentages are spot-on, and the recipe seems faithfully recreated. Actually, I find it smoother and creamier than some of the late Murray production! This version is just as deceptive as the older ones, in that it's not as light as the description would suggest: actually, it has a nice medium body and taste. The "delicate" in Dunhill's description is just to say that it's not a Latakia bomb, although the smoky weed sure is present together with a fine array of orientals. Nicotine content is not so low as some might think, and IMHO it's better as an all-day mixture than something to smoke "early in the morning". Certainly stouter and "more English" than, for example, GLPease Piccadilly. Funnily, too, I think it's stronger than London Mixture (which is MY idea of a mild though tasty Latakia/Oriental tobacco). This recent version has a great balance between sweet and rich Virginia, the nutty and slightly salty orientals, and the right amount of smokiness. Good job, Orlik. What it lacks is the incredible refinement, evolution in the bowl, complexity and taste (without the "thickness" on the palate that EMP sometimes can exhibit) of Samuel Gawith's stunning Skiff Mmixture. While the two tobaccos can be comparable in basic purpose, composition and "philosophy", the Skiff has a particular extra charm and magic of its own (which the Dunhill probably had some 20 years ago too but somehow got lost). Oh, well, anyway it's a return to form, and I could almost (barely) raise the rating to a "Recommended". Just don't make the mistake of thinking it's a mixture suited to a beginner wanting to explore the world of English Mixtures strating from something light and easy: it may disappoint due to its lower Latakia content, and scare because of its thickness and (relative) heaviness. But if you have the experience to appreciate its nuances, it is doubtlessly a quality tobacco... just not the best around in its genre (for that, go to Skiff Mixture or GLPease Westminster). And I still DO think it's a bit too heavy in nicotine, especially compared to the supposedly stronger London Mixture... (and, is it my impression or it does lose some taste after a few days since the tin has been opened?)

target="_blank"