Over-ripe Virginia from three continents: Old Belt USA, Highlands in southern Brazil, and southern Africa. The Virginias are mixed with burleys from Mexico and Malawi. In addition, a small quantity of black cavendish is added.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Cream, Fruit / Citrus, Vanilla
Packaging50g Pouch
Very Mild, Mild
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)

Racing Green is the newest in the Orlik series. The package claims that Racing Green has classic British elements. If they refer to the topping added, they are very wrong. Therefore i think they must mean "British" as in pure and clean tobacco. That is not entirely wrong, because the cavendish is very subdued and the topping only rears its head at the beginning of the bowl.

There is not much new here. A typical Danish semi-aromatic, but the topping has a twist: grapefruit in a very small measure. The blend is very reminiscent of Golden Slices, but is a tad more cool and flamboyant as in not monochromatic. It is an interesting blend for crossover fans, and I will recommend it for its well balanced qualities, compared to other blends in the same tier, and for its quality of leaf. Ask for it at (it's not listed, but they carry it).

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginias are grassy, and citrus fruit sweet. They are ably supported by the nutty sweet, lightly spicy, earthy burleys. In the background is black cavendish which offers a minor vanilla note as it is employed to add a little smoothness to the taste. The various toppings include citrus, ripe fruit and a touch of vanilla. They may tone down the tobaccos a little, but they also create a deeply sweet, smooth, fairly creamy, consistent synergistic flavor that never weakens or bites. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. The nicotine level is low. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace, and doesn’t require many relights. Has a great after taste and very pleasant room note.

There is a little similarity to Orlik Golden Sliced is some respects, though this is sweeter and a little more aromatic.

Bookhouse Boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bookhouse Boy (1)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The immediate aromatic note from a freshly opened tin belies the depth of this tobacco. Slightly citrusy like Orlik gold yet a tad "deeper" and fruity like say Dunhill's Royal Yacht with an aroma of dried fruit but not as dark and heady; once burning and mid way into the bowl this tobacco shines. I purchased this knowing only of Orlik Gold, a surprisingly good quality tobacco for the price it sells for and I am very glad that I did. Racing Green has a bit more depth and flavour to Gold and heralds a smoke more deserving of your attention. I'm finding it better with each puff as it burns down to the bottom of the bowl. I'll be definitely adding this to my rotation.

Pipe Used: Cob and Briar

Age When Smoked: new from tin

Purchased From:

Similar Blends: Orlik Gold.

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The only thing wrong with this tobacco is the name.

I've smoked two bowls in two different pipes. Similar smokes from both. Initial impression of this tobacco is that Orlik has a winner here...but for the name.

I believe that Orlik describes this as a classic English blend. If your idea of a classic English blend is something from Dunhill, then you might be disappointed. However, if you think along the lines of a Lakeland blend without the cloying toppings that Gawith adds, then you would be a lot closer to what I think Orlik is trying to achieve.

Before I review the tobacco, back to the name. When I think of racing green, I think of something fast. And this smoke is anything but fast. It's a thoughtful smoke. One that you don't want to rush, as there are subtleties and ranges of flavors that would be overlooked if smoked fast. I think that Orlik might have been better served - if it wants to suggest something English - by selecting the name of something stolid, staid - something we'd all recognize as something very old and very English. But not Racing Green.

It would be easy to view Racing Green as a cross-over blend: for the aromatic smoker who wants to try a VaBur, or for the English smoker who wants to try an aromatic. But in many ways it is neither a typical mild-topping aromatic nor a typical English blend.

The initial tin note is also misleading. It's quite sweet and strong. At first I thought that perhaps somehow an Orlik tin got into a Mac-Baren assembly line. But as I looked at the tobaccos, they did match what the tin describes:

"A tobacco of high contrasts made partly of Virginia tobaccos from Old Belt in America. On top of this, Burley tobaccos from Mexico and Malawi, and a touch of Black Cavendish is added."

On first light any thought that this is a typical light-topping aromatic is quickly snuffed. Though the sweetness of the Cavendish does come through, the Burleys take center stage - but the Burleys are tempered by the Virginias and the Cavendish. Where most VaBurs are heavy on the Burley from top to bottom, by the first third of the bowl there is a wonderful balance of Virginias and Burleys, with still a hint of Cavendish sweetness. The last third of the bowl lightens rather than darkens (as with both of my smokes) as the Burleys decided to take a backseat to the very smooth and non-biting Virginias.

This is a fine tobacco. At the introductory price being offered at various online sites it's an absolute steal. I think that Orlik has a winner here, but for the name.

Pipe Used: Ropp bulldog, Peterson System

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars dot com

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (40)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

If this is an "aromatic", then what the hell do you call Lane 1Q? My point is that the flavorings in this tobacco are so subtle that if someone used to smoking traditional aromatics were to smoke this, they would not consider it an aromatic.

I normally smoke non-aro Virginia tobaccos, but this one suited my palate amazingly well. It is absolutely delicious. The Virginia notes I pick up in this blend are very similar to the famed Orlik Golden Sliced, but the addition of Burley and Cavendish really smooth it out nicely. It burns very cool and is not prone to biting at all. It is deliciously sweet, full in body (but not too strong in strength). It has a very creamy profile with bright vanilla and citrus notes. But the flavors seem very natural and not artificial in any way, unlike what you would find in a traditional aromatic.

Like some have already pointed out, the name sucks. But the tobacco certainly does not. It is currently one of my favorites. I highly recommend you try it if you're into high quality Danish blends. Well done Orlik.

Pipe Used: Peterson X105 billiard

Similar Blends: 4th Generation 1931 Flake.

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

If you like Orlik Golden Sliced you have to give Orlik Racing Green a try. Some have said Grapefruit, I say Guava/Custard Bread Pudding, You say......

The tin note is Citrus/Guava with a custard creaminess in the background that does transfer to the smoke. However the topping fades in and out and is never cloying. The Tobacco is very high quality, the Virginia's really push the sweetness in this blend and the burley gives the smoke some body. The cavendish? Well..... I don't know what the hell the cavendish does.

About half way through the bowl, I suggest putting your pipe down for an hour or two. The Burley is BAM! IN YOUR FACE GOOD. For some reason when DGT'd the burley really stands out. When you smoke it straight to the heel of the bowl(which it really does smoke to a white ash with no doddle)Racing Green gets sweeter, almost developing a Marshmallow Circus Peanut flavor. In fact the pipe smells like Circus Peanuts when the bowl is cashed.

Racing Green is ready to smoke out of the tin, it behaves like a Lakeland blend, with its high quality tobacco. I must say outside of Lakeland Blends, Racing Green is the only "Aromatic" that I would smoke on a regular basis.

Great Summer Blend to add to your rotation between the Va/Pers and Straight Virginias.

Pipe Used: Cobb Rob Roy

Age When Smoked: 4 months at least

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a fine smoke. The Virginias and Burleys, to my taste, are very well balanced and delicious. The topping is where it gets really interesting. It seems to match and enhance a lot of the natural tobacco flavors making it a bit difficult to pin down. There is also a nice sweetness from the Cav. This is a wonderful blend.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Burns well straight from the tin.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave, MM Mark Twain

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Orlik - Racing Green.

I opened this with a yawn, I had no expectations whatsoever. I was wrong to have a somewhat negative approach, it's a cracking little smoke:

I didn't realise this was a supposed aromatic at first as I didn't get a fruity/false smell from the pouch; granted, I never particularly took a purposeful sniff of the pouch, it was just what I ascertained whilst I was filling my pipe but even when I read it was aromatic, I still got next to nothing from a deep sniff. Either way, it's a good smoke:

I like it when aromatic additions are added sparingly, at just the volume to enhance yet not hinder the smoke. That's how this has been done; the smoke is mainly tobacco flavours, with a very subtle embellishment to the taste on top of them: I can't detect any alcohol, nor liquor , the extra additions form a sort of fruity, custard like quality. This is very delicate so it doesn't impede on the natural flavours of the tobacco's. Of the these I find the Black Cavendish and the Burley take the lead, the Virginia seems to fall behind a touch; it's still tasty but it's not as brash. The nicotine's quite mild in this, it's not REALLY mild but I don't get a lot of it. There's isn't anything negative about the room note, I wouldn't say it's brilliant but it's most certainly not a bad one.

My low expectations for this were very wrong, it's a really good blend.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Erik Nording

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (151)

This is a light, Va forward aromatic that is rounded out by some Burley and Cavendish. It is gently sweet with a pleasant room note. It actually gets better as it burns down the bowl. The topping is subtle, and quickly disappears into the tobacco aromas. All in all a very smooth and refreshing experience. These seem to me very high quality tobaccos. Suits a lazy sunny afternoon in the garden with a cold lager.

Snappo's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snappo's Pipe (7)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A WINNER! For the sweet tooth in us all, full-flavored and satisfying... top notch tobaccos, a rotation must have! OGS x 10 in flavor... an aero, but really doesn't seem so... natural tobacco flavors come through victoriously!

Pipe Used: Baby no name briar....

Purchased From: Pipesand

Similar Blends: OGSx10.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (80)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was honestly not expecting much from Racing Green. But it has not only exceeded my expectations; it is, in fact, an ideal all day smoke for someone looking for a tobacco that's easy to pack, doesn't require attention to enjoy it and has enough nicotine to keep one happy. The moisture content was perfect. Frankly, I can't say this is an aromatic, by all means; and I can understand the comparison to Golden Sliced with some Cavendish added. It has the typical sweet virginia taste with some hay notes. It burns very well but don't puff away too fast because, being mostly golden virginias, it can bite if you push it. 3 stars and, yes, I am going to buy more.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm pretty sure this is Orlik Golden with a mild aromatic topping added. I like Golden so i liked this as well. The topping is not overly strong which is my preference for aromatics so i'm going say it's a damn fine smoke. Good price to and doesnt gloop or ghost your pipe up. Very pleasant. Medium strength.

I also agree with comparisons flavour wise to Dunhill royal yatcht. Like a milder tamer version.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (51)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Virginas and burley up front. Slightly sweet and spicy as well. A fairly robust blend, but not overpowering. I was not sure I would like this one because of the burly and cavendish, but it's a nice balanced blend and very enjoyable with a cup of robust coffee.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Zulu

Age When Smoked: A few months

Purchased From: P & C

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (83)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I think reviewer Jakob got it right: this is a semi-aromatic. I did not really get the cream or citrus in the room note, though there is a citrusy smell to the tin and an overlay of stewed fruit, but not heavy. The toppings were done very lightly, hence a semi-aromatic. Nice sweetness from the Cav, which is applied with a light hand but still comes through. Gentle sweetness without the cloying aspect of so many aromatics.

Nicely complex lil' smoke, with the Burley, Cav and Virginia alternatingly forward, lots of good tobacco taste. And it uses excellent tobaccos! Burns well, little moisture, good smoke volume., but not much of a nic hit.

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (15)

Nice light aromatic. Not heavily flavored. The tin note is mild and sweet and complements the tobacco flavor nicely. My favorite back porch blend. Since some have commented on the name - Racing Green - I'll add my two cents. It works for me. I think of broad mowed grass lawns.

The thing I like about it is it has a nice clean tobacco finish - no ash taste. The smoke tingles in the nose. The Virginias are tasty and very high quality. There is less of the nuttiness i associate with burley. There is almost no nicotine. Best smoked dry.

I don't associate foods with tobacco but sometimes music comes to mind. At the end of a very long day, in the dark, with mellow jazz on the radio, I can taste those flavors other reviewers have been writing about, blended perfectly with the tobacco. Sublime!

Pipe Used: briar, corn cob is better

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the tin