Forums

What is the sweetes...

Notifications
Clear all

What is the sweetest pipe tobacco you ever smoked?

Topic starter
Estimable Member

Every now and then I need to satisfy my sweet tooth and I don't want the calories that go with doing so.

Enter the pipe and sweet pipe tobacco.

So far I have Wilke Cherry Cavendish, Peter Stokkebye PS 201 Black Cavendish, Wilke 515 Double Shot, and Wilke Rum Cake in the running. 

What is the sweetest pipe tobacco you've ever smoked? Because I'm looking for the ultimate sweet smoke.

54 Replies
5 Replies
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

Posted by: CW-Piper

What is the sweetest pipe tobacco you've ever smoked? Because I'm looking for the ultimate sweet smoke.

For me, it is the Virginia blends. Those Sutliff Virginia Slices are my go-to for a sweet and prolonged smoke, since you have to smoke very slowly to get the inner Virginia flavor to pop out.

Estimable Member

Sutliff Virginia Slices are quite good. But I'm looking for something like a smokable doughnut. 🙂

DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

If you come up with a blend called "Smokable Doughnut," I think lots of people would enjoy it. The last doughnut I had almost killed me. I was in a two-hour meeting that had no known use and there were these doughnuts sitting there on the sideboard, so I figured I would try one. I knew I was in trouble with the first bite. My liver screamed and my heart rate increased. My taste buds short-circuited. A wave of something like terror and nausea swept over me. The world raced by at high speed and I could hear the howls of ancient steppe animals, imagining myself in a loincloth with a spear as I chased them over the primordial landscape. Eventually the world came back into focus, and I got a second doughnut. But more seriously, Mac Baren "Original Choice" might come close.

Estimable Member

That had me laughing! 🙂

I'll put the MacBaren on the list. Thanks!

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I felt something similar when I attended the presentation of new Mac Baren blends in Spain 20+ years ago. Attendees were gifted with generous samplers of the new blends that included Original Choice, Only Tobacco and one or two more. I decided to try Original Choice first.

After the new EC tobacco regulations, these events are treated like Inquisition treated witch gatherings.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

For an ultimate dessert blend, I would suggest trying Karl Erik Private Blend No. 16. It is extremely sweet and flavorful without being chemical tasting. I believe it is only available in Europe, but I haven’t searched for it here. I have ordered it from Germany where it seems to be regularly available.

6 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

By the way I’d be happy to send you some to try, especially since it is harder to get, but I haven’t seen a way to send private messages on here. 

Estimable Member

That feature appears to be lacking. Hopefully, they will install a private message feature at some point.

Very generous of you to offer a sample. And thank you. You can email me at cwhawes at gmail dot com. Then I can give you my address. Would that work?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Email sent!

I’m brand new to the pipe tobacco club, I’ve been looking everywhere for a way to purchase blend # 16 but alas, the US does not make it easy. I know the offer wasn’t aimed toward me, but is there anyway I could partake in the opportunity to get a sample?  I’d be forever grateful!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Sure, I can send you some. What email address should I contact you at?

Estimable Member

I looked and it doesn't seem to have crossed the Atlantic. Esterval's has it and some other German shops. I'm going to have to brush up on my German. 🙂

Bailey
Eminent Member

Sutliff Creme Brulee is about the sweetest thing I have ever smoked. Nice flavor and aroma but pretty sweet. I haven't tried any of the blends you mentioned so I can't compare. 

1 Reply

Estimable Member

I will give that one a try. Thanks!

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

Molto Dulce. Too sweet. Not for me.

2 Replies

Estimable Member

Thanks! I'll see if there are any reviews. 

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member
nach0
Noble Member

I never had any tobacco that is more sweet than "Sutliff – Molto Dolce".

There´s a huge amount of people who does't like it, but for me is the best aromatic i ever tried.
I totally recommend it for everyone who likes aromatic. 

3 Replies

Estimable Member

I started out with aromatics, got ensnared by Lady Latakia, and now 50 years later I'm back to aromatics. 

Molto Dolce is on the list!

nach0

Noble Member

There's so many good aromatics that could be stupid ignore them.
I would recommend you to give a try on this list: 

1- https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3558/cao-eileens-dream/
2- https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/553/gawith-hoggarth-co-bobs-chocolate-flake/
3- https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9269/4noggins-butternut-burley/

you won't regret, i'm sure!

Estimable Member

Thanks!

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

The sweetest I ever tried, I think would be Captain black Red Seas.  It definitely had the most intense cherry flavor I have ever seen.  But my favorite, would be ...Cube.    Cube has chocolate, caramel, mango, vanilla etc etc.... All in one smoke that results in a truly unique aromatic smell and taste.  Some people considered Cube to be overpowering or too heavily cased.  I'm not really much of an aromatic guy, but when I need one... I go to the Cube.  It ain't cheap and in the US it only comes in large bags.  Try it, it's one of those reviews that everyone writes.

1 Reply

Estimable Member

I will take a look at Cube. Thanks!

It was Erinmore Mixture back in the early 90s. It's fruitiness was off the charts back then and super sweet. 

8 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I miss the old Erinmore Mixture 🙁

Up until a few years ago the flake version was good. Now, it's base tobaccos and flavor are different and just not Erinmore anymore. Why they evolved the mixture to tone down the aromatic flavor so much baffles me. 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

The “closely guarded secret flavoring” of Erinmore is Isoamyl Acetate, commonly sold under the name “Pear drops”. I have been considering buying some and kicking the flavoring up just a notch, but that doesn’t solve the problem you mentioned, the lesser tobacco used for the blend.

ThinkinPipe

Estimable Member

You're like some kind of tobacco wizard

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Thanks! I’m not an expert by any means, I just think the fact that smoking is one of my all time favorite activities combined with the passage of time has caused me to pick up a few things. 

nach0

Noble Member

This statement couldn't be more accurate hehehehe

Skoma

Maybe some new EU regulations? 

Estimable Member

Never tried Erinmore. But if the mixture isn't what it was, I'll pass. No sense trying something inferior.

Lager
Estimable Member

Dan tobacco, blue note. It was so sweet I didn't get jalf way through the bowl

Yuk

1 Reply

Estimable Member

Blue Note is on the list! Thanks!

BriarBerg

I'd say Molto Dolce or Sutliff Z92 Vanilla Custard. 

Ithian
Estimable Member

Danske Club - Sungold

Not readily available in the North America's, but for me that's been the epitome of a dessert smoke.

1 Reply

Estimable Member

On the list. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks!

gpjoe

My favorite dessert flavors:

Sutliff - Vanilla Cream Z92

Cult - Blood Red Moon

Cornell & Diehl - Autumn Evening

All heavy aromatics so the toppings dominate, which is OK for me on occasion. 

1 Reply

Estimable Member

Thanks! I've thought about trying Blood Red Moon. Now I have more incentive!

DeathMetal.org
Estimable Member

This bowl of "Hal o' the Wynd" is pretty sweet, but I gave it a few years in the cellar.

Topic starter
Estimable Member

I may give that a try. Although, at age 70, cellaring something for a few years is a tenuous thing. 😆

Most of the common heavy aromatics are not as sweet tasting as they used to be back in the day due to modern ingredient restrictions; Remember the hoopla about coumarin? They may still smell super sweet but can be rather flat in flavor. Invert sugars are sweeter than regular but much greater sweetness comes from ingredients like licorice root and coumarin containing substances. In terms of actual sweet taste as opposed to just aroma, some of the Lakeland blends from G&H have appreciable sweetness to the taste since they can use copious amounts of these additives. But some can have a floral/perfumed quality to some degree that some appreciate and others hate. 

Some G&H Blends worth trying:

-Rum Flake/Jamaican Flake(virgina/burely, Rum, maple sugars, licorice)

-Brown Flake Scented( virgina/burley/ tad of dark fired. Tonkin bean, licorice, maple sugars and some say fig) It's a hard to describe it's unique aroma. 

-Ennerdale Flake is predominately virgina with extreme floral and sweet smelling casings from almond, geranium(i think) and whatever else.

I found Peter Stockebye Vanilla Creme to have a good amount of sweet taste, though it's not too moist and the vanilla is not heavily applied. I suspect it's licorice root underneath it all doing it's job.

Mac Baren Virgina #1 is a heavily sweetened straight virgina ready-rubbed. But that flame thrower effect.

In terms of sweet aroma classic BCA which I smoke on occasion fits the bill. It's not too flat in taste.

As others have noted it's in the virginas especially of they are more heavily cased that one can find true sweet flavor as opposed to puffing on sweet smelling but otherwise bland hot air.

1 Reply

Estimable Member

Appreciate the info and the suggestions!

Ithian
Estimable Member

I now must add Sutliff - Crumble Kake Red Virginia. It's not even an aromatic but you can taste and feel the sweetness on the tip of your tongue. I was very surprised!

1 Reply

Estimable Member

Son of a gun. I best bust open that tin I have that's collecting dust. Thanks!

Trusted Member

Now you have me adding Stuliff to my list of wants!

1 Reply

Estimable Member

Sutliff makes some really great pipe tobacco. 

Their 507C Virginia Slices is listed as a blending tobacco, but it is fab as is. A pleasantly sweet Virginia. 

I love their Match Holiday, Barking Dog, Revelation, and Ready Rubbed.

Another blending component that is very good as is, is their 513 AAA Bulk. A superb burley blend.

The world of Sutliff is huge and has lots of delights awaiting you. Oh, don't miss their B25 Dark Chocolate and B28 Hot Chocolate. Delicious aromatics that are tasty and gently sweet. 

Go out and explore Sutliff. There are wonders to be discovered. 

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

Vauem Auenland - peaches until the dottle

And, it is recommended to death but it is a great blend, Blood Red Moon.

1 Reply

Estimable Member

Great! Vauem Auenland is on the list. Always good to get another vote for Blood Red Moon.

Casey Smith
Estimable Member

Great recommendations! I really only like aro's where the toppings/casings bring out the natural flavors of the baccy. However, and I know it's only seasonal but, Sleepy Hollow is super sweet and super delicious! As we go into the Fall... grab some! you wont regret it! It comes out soon by Straus Tobacconist but, you have to call to order it. Unless they upgraded 🤷 Cheers! 

1 Reply

Estimable Member

I'll check out Sleepy Hollow. Thanks!

Trusted Member

Sadly Sutliff doesnt distribute in Europe so maybe I will have my sister bring in a sample when she comes over.  The bummer is if I like it I cant get more....

1 Reply

Estimable Member

You can always see if there is a tobacconist who will ship to Europe. Also, Sutliff is owned by Mac Baren. Maybe Mac Baren distributes Sutliff blends to Europe.

Skoma

DTM - Devils hollyday! Sure thing!

target="_blank"