Forums

Pairing tobacco and...

Notifications
Clear all

Pairing tobacco and drinks

nach0
Topic starter
Noble Member

I find out that Cappuccino, coffee and cream or just coffee are the best drink when smoking pipe.
I love latakia blends and believe there´s no better option when pairing.

Sometimes i like to smoke aromatics, specially "chocolate/vanilla" topping or casing. In this case, i also like to pair with frangelico, amarula, or some sweet liquor that enhance the flavor. But coffee still perfect for it too.

I only think that coffee wouldn't be good is when smoking strong cherry blends like captain black or seven seas.

To be honest, im not an alcohol enthusiastic, so beer doesn't seems good for me, i only can pair the black-sweet family beers with E.M. 

Talking about tea, i do prefer black tea than any other else. without any milk in it.

What about you? what is your best combination? 

23 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

For me, light to medium coffees with Virginias really enhance the experience. Stronger/darker coffees, especially Brazilian which I drink a lot tend to dull the flavors, but go great with burleys and Latakia. I also find lemonade and citrusy drinks can liven up a lot of smokes. 

As far as beer, wine and liquor, Guinness with the stronger Lakelands is a great combo. Pouilly-Fuissé is an ideal pairing to lighter and medium Virginias. Bourbon with heavier/stronger tobaccos and many cigars is always a winner. 

1 Reply
nach0

Noble Member

I totally agree with you, the italian. and Brazilian coffee are quite strong. I prefer the french press when making coffee. 
Concerning juice, lemonade is the only one i believe matches with tobacco. There's something in there which enhance some flavors.

I never had a good experience drinking wine and smoking pipe, i feel that the wine always sublimate the tobacco flavor.

Trusted Member

Try apple juice.  Its great with a pipe.

1 Reply
nach0

Noble Member

wow ... i´ll try for sure!!

Antonius Blok
Estimable Member

I love the combination of an amontillado sherry with virginia, burley and va/per. Also whiskey for blends with latakia. Unfortunately I only drink coffee first thing in the morning and I don't usually smoke the pipe at that time.

2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

morning still the best moment to smoke a pipe for me, the days that i less smoke are the days i only smoke at morning.

Antonius Blok

Estimable Member

Por cierto, quería agregar que la Coca Cola también va muy bien con virginias, ya que mejora extremadamente su dulzura, algo que podría satisfacer a aquellos golosos y aquellos que están empezando a fumar una pipa y les resulta difícil capturar el sabor del tabaco. . Tiene en contra que altera un poco otros matices

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

I am a tea fanatic in the way that I have a tea cellar that rivals my tobacco cellar. So I pair all kinds of tea with tobacco. It is fun at times, annoying at others. Like all pairings, it can go poorly. I try to contrast tea with tobacco. For instance, lapsang souchong is too smoky to pair with latakia, and green tea is too like a bright, grassy Virginia.  

1 Reply
nach0

Noble Member

nice tip, i got you point.

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

I lean towards hot drinks, usually with no alcohol.  Tea and coffee usually with creme. I find that acidic drinks with fruit juice are too much of a pallet cleanse, and could contribute to tongue burn.   

nach0
Topic starter
Noble Member

i feel the same concerning hot drinks. a hot chocolate is also a good match for some tobaccos IMO.

Trusted Member

Sangria is nice with a vaper.  There was some in the fridge so I tried it.  A round slightly fruity red wine also works.  I dont think a dry red woud match.

nach0
Topic starter
Noble Member

I wanna hear from the new users what they can bring to this thread. 🍻 

Awfers
Estimable Member

What I drink with my pipe varies on the time of day.

I'm a tea drinker, so a nice English Breakfast tea (no sugar) with a light English blend is great in the morning. I find a Georgian tea (from the country) is also a great accompaniment.

Come the evening, a nice beer or ginger ale works great. Occasionally a whisky or bourbon.

Something more local, you can get something called Apfelschorle, which is essentially apple juice (usually with 10% pear) diluted with sparkling water. Quite refreshing and light.

7 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

Sounds interesting this "Apfelschorle".  I´ll try to replicate it in a 'homemade' way  hehehehe

nach0

Noble Member

Soon i'll be back to say how was my impression on pairing Apple Juice and sparkling water. Today i'll smoke Blockade Runner following your recommendation. 👍 👍 

1714470678-20240430_064803.jpg
Awfers

Estimable Member

Please do!

Normally the German brands cut the apple juice with the same quantity of water (50/50), but Ramseier (as Swiss brand) makes one that is 60% juice to 40% water. This is the one I find best as it isn't too sweet, nor too watery.

nach0

Noble Member

That was really good, i might have done 70% Juice 30% water but still nice. I'll try again smoking some Grousemoor bc something in my mind says it can be a good match. 👍 👍 

Awfers

Estimable Member

Happy to hear you liked it!

I find the dilution depends on the sweetness of the juice and if it has pear juice in it. Sometimes it's more tart (only apple), other times it can be sweeter (pear added).

nach0

Noble Member

Yes you are right. Next time i'll get a juice not 100% Apple to taste the difference. I'm convinced that the sparkling water is also a important piece in the game. I have to make more experiences. Tnks for your advice my friend!

Awfers

Estimable Member

No worries!

And yes, a sparkling water with a lot of minerals (Perrier, Badoit etc) will not likely help.. Better with a generic sparkling water with no flavour or low in minerals.

smokethefox
Estimable Member

My favorite pairing is beer and English blends, especially outside. Also, I noticed, that drinking cola, or ginger beer, the taste of tobacco is enhanced. Could be because of the CO2. Those little sparkles make the smoke bubbly 😀 Its lovely...

Flip
Estimable Member

Great topic! Got some pairing ideas I can’t wait to try. I’ve always liked a pure cold press apple cider with Virginia blends or a lager. Also enjoy hot cocoa, wine or a mild porter with English and Balkans.

target="_blank"