Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] What Are You Smoking? February 2024

Page 1 / 10

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

Happy February everyone! I broke my own rule earlier and decided to smoke something different than my first choice and it wasn’t the right decision, so I’m correcting that by smoking my first choice, Key Largo in a Georgetown Belge. 

1706765799-IMG_2934.jpeg
447 Replies
nach0
Noble Member

I'm spending time with my wife family so for now i'll stick to Captain Black regular for a while.  Good February to all of you guys!

5 Replies
Nick R

Noble Member

When I smoke with my wife English blends are not an option. I stick to blends like Captain Black or 1Q as well.

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

I know that there is a lot of talk about both those blends being the same. What do you think?

I thought they were a bit different but still close. Captain Black seems to have a bit more vanilla flavor to me.

Love both. 👍

Nick R

Noble Member

Similar yes, but not the same. 1Q is quite a bit sweeter to me. Cap't really only tastes like vanilla. I get a bit of carmel with 1Q. That's my taste buds anyway.

nach0

Noble Member

Wanna try this 1Q in the future.

Nick R

Noble Member

1Q is something I always have on hand. In the USA it is very inexpensive. It has a nice room note and a very sweet taste. Not much nicotine, but no bite so a good multiple bowl tobacco. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I continue smoking Timm London Blend 1000. I have been four complete days without any possibility of smoking a pipe. I was attending a convention in Barcelona, and I was barely able to spend 15 minutes visiting my reference tobacconist there and it is in front of the door of my hotel!!!!. The case is that I lit my morning pipe and I found it different.

2 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

The longest I’ve gone without smoking a pipe, since I started over a year ago, is two days. I feel for you my friend! 😊

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

There was the possibility of scaping 15 minutes to the back door in company of dozens of nervous and stressed cigarette smokers. But we play in another league.

Nick R
Noble Member

I am starting February with my faithful Mithril and coffee. I have a can of MacBaren Plumcake that I am eyeing for later.

REO

Capstan Gold in a Meile.  Coffee on the side.  Good flavors all around.

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

I wanted to get February off to a good start, so I took no chances. 1792 never lets me down and today was no exception 😊

Now, I’m currently smoking C & D’s Anthology 2023, carefully. My tongue’s a bit sensitive at the moment and Virginias have a tendency to bite. So, I’m puffing slowly and gently, with sips of leftover Christmas beer in between. Lovely!

In the meerschaum, predictably.

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

I'm starting the month with some Haunted Bookshop in a cob.

1706813564-IMG20240201135215.jpg
Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I’m smoking Watch City Santa’s Sack in a Butz Choquin calabash. 

1706814265-6BF37C0F-3F98-4829-AF58-3FA790EFDBCE.jpeg
3 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

How many calabashes do you own, Ted? Any chance of a pic of them altogether? As you know, I’m slowly building up to getting one. I’d be interested to see some different examples.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Hi Lee, I don’t know how many I have, likely more than fifty. Kind of difficult to dig them all out and photograph them, but I will pick a selection of them and post some photos and some things I have learned to look for over time when I get a moment. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Oh, wow! Fantastic! I’d love to see a selection of your favourite ones. Cheers Ted!

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I’m continuing to smoke Santa’s Sack, I just spent two hours helping my neighbor move a new refrigerator in and the old one out and I don’t have enough energy at the moment to figure out something different to smoke. 

Nick R
Noble Member

I am being lazy tonight. I looked at my collection and decided not to open a new tin. Another bowl of Brigadier Black Alamo- I might just kill the pouch before I open anything else. Very nice taste but a bit bitey- forces me to slow down. Using my Barriccini Classico.

Haddock
Trusted Member

Living in Denmark the tobacco prices are getting pretty high, so i went to Germany and got a few tins(10+). 

I always wanted to try Rattray´s Black Mallory, and i love it. But i also got 6 tins Cornell & Diehl Black Frigate, which is pretty uncommon here in Europe. Wonderfull aromatic that i cant stop smoking.

2 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Hi! I’m also living in Denmark; Lejre to be a bit more precise. Do you mind sharing where in Denmark you live? (No worries if you’d rather not).

Haddock

Trusted Member

Brande 🙂

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

I’m going to be smoking G.L.Pease JackKnife Plug, in a clay pipe.

Boy, am I looking forward to this! 😄

1706888037-IMG_1860.jpeg
Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I’m smoking Peter Stokkebye PS 81 Danish Export in a Georg Jensen Gigant. 

1706895752-IMG_5146.jpeg
4 Replies
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Love that pipe. I found a Meerschaum I like. Is this decent quality?

Meerschaum

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I believe it would likely be a well made pipe, but note the size, it’s a tiny pipe. If that’s what you are okay with then sure. I will say it’s no great bargain for the size, not a bad deal, but not good either. Just my thoughts. 

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Haha I checked a bunch of stuff but not the size.

Thank you

Nick R

Noble Member

I have a SRV meerschaum churchwarden with a similar tiny bowl. It smokes horribly and tastes like plastic. Ted provided some possible reasons why on the meerschaum thread. My wife has a similar meerschaum to the one you posted(same brand and size) She loves it! Both came from Meerschaum Market. I am guessing that you have a coin flip of getting a great little pipe or getting a dud.

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

I'm smoking Peter Stokkebye Proper English in my Savinelli Punto Orno.

What blend is considered a Latakia bomb?  I'm a Latakia Fanatica!  😆

1706899383-IMG_20240202_133536.jpg
7 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Might I suggest Old Ironsides. 

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

Just put it into my next order. Thank you

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Old Ironsides is a great smoke! It’s definitely Latakia-rich, but it’s blended to perfection so that it doesn’t overwhelm. You’ll enjoy it, I’m sure.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Ashton Artisan´s Blend is the boldest I have tried along with Motzek Kieler Foerde, 65% latakia. Available from Herbert Motzek in Kiel, Germany. I think C&D Pirate Cake has a similar amount of Latakia. I have Old Ironsides aging by prescription of Ted and Lee.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Remember that I warned you that good Latakia blends are very addictive.

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

It definitely is. But a good addiction. 😁😁

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Nice pipe!

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Gladora Tobacco Pesse Canoe Latakia Flake 40 in a Savinelli 623

4 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Very cool! I’m looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this tobacco. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Thanks Ted. You have my first impressions in the topic I opened for this tobacco.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Yes, you have been very thorough. What I’m most curious about is after smoking it for a while if the not black Latakia shows any new aspects for you. This Turkish Latakia has me quite curious. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Turkish Latakia has a subtle smoky flavor, it is not as clear in expression as Cypriot or Syrian. It is a different type, a little saline, which reminds me of a campfire extinguished with water, but it is light, subtle. The tobaccos are very well integrated and the predominant flavor is that of subtly smoky Izmir. The second half gains some strength, but the flavor does not change. It is undoubtedly an Oriental tobacco, but in a style unknown to me. It is something absolutely new.

Joseph
Prominent Member

Decided to make a “daily smokable” house blend of two premium aged Virginia blends. I sliced, rubbed out and tossed together 1 part HH Rustica and 2 parts SPC Give Me Liberty. I call it “Rustic Liberty” and like it better than either of the constituent blends by themselves.

1706906690-IMG_3292.jpeg
2 Replies
Joseph

Prominent Member

…btw, Rustica has a vitamin-N kick like a mule, but not much flavor for me besides dirt & molasses. Cutting it 2-to-1 made several masked flavors show up - as mentioned in some of the reviews.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Nice combo!

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

Sutliff Match Victorian in a meerschaum billiard. 

1706919928-IMG_4012.jpeg
Zigmeister67
Noble Member

I'm out smoking Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake in a Patriot cob.

1706925402-IMG_20240202_205402.jpg
Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I don’t follow too much in the business side of the tobacco companies and much of the information I get is after the fact. Today, someone I talk with occasionally on another place on the internet while we were talking about my Georg Jensen pipe I was smoking this afternoon, informed me that Mac Baren had fired Per Jensen late last year. I just finished listening to Brian Levine’s radio show (episode 586, Dec. 5) where he interviewed Per Jensen and he talked about it. I’m sad to hear he is no longer with them. 

So I decided to again smoke my Georg Jensen Gigant loaded with Per’s Birds of a Feather Uno. Not actually the best pipe for this cut/blend, but hey. 

1706932672-IMG_5428.jpeg
Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

G.L.Pease Windjammer, in the meerschaum. I really love this blend! Sweet, nutty and tasty, with a subtle hint of rum. Yum! 😊

3 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Windjammer is easily my favorite GL Pease blend and my most cellared one. It was the blend that got me thinking about and playing with casings again. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I’m just enjoying another bowl as I type. Actually, the hint of rum is not as subtle as I mentioned earlier. It’s there in pretty much every puff. But the sweet Virginia, nutty Burley and peppery Perique are also there, to varying degrees as the smoke progresses, to prevent the rum becoming dominant.

Nick R

Noble Member

Windjammer has been on my list for a while. I think I will move it up a couple notches.

Page 1 / 10

target="_blank"