Forums

AS WE TRANSITION INTO OUR NEW WEBSITE EXPERIENCE:

Rest assured your data is safe and saved and will be available very soon.

Please be aware that any missing services will be back in operations over the next few weeks and all of your data has been captured and retained. Once our migration has been completed, all of the features and functionality that you have grown to love on Tobacco Reviews will be fully functional.

Your pipe shape pre...

Notifications
Clear all

Your pipe shape preferences for each class of tobacco

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Topic starter
Noble Member

Following the interesting contributions on different types of pipes, I think it would be interesting to talk about which types of tobacco are best smoked in each pipe shape.

My preference is for Latakia and Oriental blends, and I think these blends smoke very well in pipes with a normal width bowl, 18-21mm diameter and a maximum depth of 33mm, so I smoke them in squat bulldog or rhodesian pipes groups 3 and 4. I have noticed these blends don´t taste the same in larger bowl pipes (Group 4 billiards, 20mm diameter and 40mm deep). In those pipes the bottom of the bowl tends to collect a lot of humidity that makes an unpleasant smoke.

Which are your favorite pipe sizes and shapes for the different tobaccos you smoke?, or do you smoke any tobacco in any  pipe size or shape?.

16 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

My preference for Latakia blends is the same as yours. In fact my newest favorite pipe for Latakia is a Rhodesian with a bowl size right in the range you mentioned. 

Often said and something that holds true to me, narrower, deeper bowls for straight Virginias. 

Blends that have a lot of different components do well for me in wider bowls. A example of a common tobacco that I like much better in a wider bowl is Mac Baren Mixture. More flavors open up, I can more easily detect different components. It’s a little more monotone in a narrower bowl and the casings are more apparent.

Virginia Perique blends and oriental blends I tend to prefer in common to wider bowls, but on the deeper side.

With a couple of exceptions, I haven’t noticed a notable difference regarding pipe shape. Pipe type/material presents a big range of differences, briar, meerschaum, clay, porcelain, morta and stone. But that’s a different topic. My bowl size preferences for different blends are pretty consistent though regardless of the pipe material. This is also true for calabash pipes for me. 

nach0
Noble Member

nice topic, looking forward to see what you guys think about.

Nick R
Reputable Member

Just here to learn on this one. I do have pipes that I favor for different tobaccos but I havent gone in depth on the hows and whys. Gentle smokes like most aromatics I prefer in larger bowls but I think thats because I like longer leisurely smokes. I tend to smoke my vapers and English blends in smaller bowls but that more likely stems from them being occasional smokes for me and not staples. Good topic- look forward to learning something new. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Topic starter
Noble Member

I should use a more appropriate title for this topic because what really matters is to focus in the influence of bowl size on tobacco flavor, and from here talk about which tobaccos work best in each bowl size. It would be very useful to know were our preferred weed tastes best.

Joseph
Reputable Member

Very fun topic. I am a very curious fellow and tend to take more of a scientific approach to things like this. I'm still very much in the experimental exploration stage on the effects of bowl geometry on different tobacco blend compositions. I've read and heard the conventional wisdom on the topic, and am testing for myself. In a way, I hope I never find "THE ANSWER" because the exploration is so much fun.

As a practical matter, I like smoking my aromatics in my larger bowled pipes, and my complex English blends in my smaller bowled pipes. I just added a "Virginia-dedicated" pipe specifically because of it's tall, narrow bowl geometry. And, as I mentioned in the new pipe topic, I can confirm that it DOES handle Virginias better than the others I own. 

Nick R
Reputable Member

I will list a few of my favorite pipe/tobacco combos- maybe they will make sense, maybe not. That seems more in the spirit of what was asked.

1) Viking Classic Prince- dedicated to smoking Mithril- carmel, fig aromatic with some DFK.

2) Baraccini Classico Author- aromatics like CAO Eileens Dream, Moontrance.

3) Mr. Brog Maestro- aromatics like 1Q, 

4) Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson Calabash- vanilla only aromatics like Green River Vanilla, Vanilla Custard.

5) Peterson Donegal Rocky Prince- VaPers, usually C&D King Cake or Escudo Navy Deluxe

6) Savinelli 313-  English / Balken blends like Plum Pudding, Old Joe Krantz Red.

Zigmeister67
Prominent Member

I tend to go to my Cobs for aromatic blends. Most of them are roughly about the same size.

My tiny cob is for stuff like that Dark aromatic flake. Anything bigger and I couldn't take the nicotine. Lol

My Savinelli pipes are my favorite for burley blends. Haunted Bookshop or Mac Baren Golden Extra.

My Ukrainian 3 piece is really best for English or kitchen sink blends.

My Big Ben's are my Virginia or Vaper go to pipes.

I don't know why these work out the way they have. And sometimes I just want to smoke a particular pipe regardless of the tobacco I use.

7 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

I tend to go to my cobs almost every time  hehehehe ... I only have a dedicated (wood) pipe for pure virginias, but in general i feel like i can get more from cobs than wood.

nach0

Noble Member

Sorry my ignorance my friend, what do you mean when you say kitchen sink blends?

Zigmeister67

Prominent Member

Just a term for blends that throw a bit of everything inside.

nach0

Noble Member

Tnks ! 👍 👍 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

In other words, a blend made with the rests of every jar or tin you finish?. If so, sounds interesting, but in my case the result would not be much different from the general tone of my preferred blends.

Zigmeister67

Prominent Member

Oh I have a bag with left over from tins. I call it Frankenstein. But the kitchen sink blends are where you see burley, Virginia, Perique, Latakia, Oriental and maybe even something else. It's from a saying "they trough everything in it but the kitchen sink". 😁

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I´d love to smoke a bowl of your "Zig´s kitchen sink blend"

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Topic starter
Noble Member

Well, in this point it seems to be clear that Latakia blends smoke best in small bowls 18-20mm diameter and 26-32 mm deep. Virginias smoke best in larger bowls 19-21mm diameter and around 40-45mm deep. Aromatics benefit from large bowls in general and complex blends with many tobacco's in them smoke better in wider bowls, lets say 22-24mm diameter and 35-40mm deep. 

Lee
 Lee
Noble Member

I don’t think I have enough experience and knowledge to contribute anything useful to this interesting topic. I’m still learning about different tobacco types, treatments and blends. I’m sure the pipe used affects the smoke, but I haven’t yet given much attention to comparisons when smoked in different bowl sizes. It’s something I intend to do after reading this thread.

target="_blank"