The road to Full En...

Notifications
Clear all

The road to Full English

Charles
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Hello all,

I’m new to the board. I’ve been pipe smoking for just a hair over ten years although I’d say that I just started to know what I’m doing in the past 3. Last year I decided to put effort towards English blends. The first tin that I opened was Presbyterian Mix based on Reddit recommendations. I love it. 

I'm at the point of wanting to venture deeper into the pool. There are a number of blends I’m considering but I think I’m just going after popular names rather than considering a mix that will get me into a more complex flavor but without diving into the deepest end.

I’d appreciate suggestions.

thanks ✌️

11 Replies
Lee
 Lee
Noble Member

Hi Charles! Presbyterian Mixture was the tobacco that unlocked the door to my appreciation of English blends. I love it too! Squadron Leader would be a nice one to try, if you haven’t already. Then, the Solent Mixture, English Mixture, Red Rapparee, Midnight Ride and 1820. Before moving on to Old Ironsides, Plum Pudding Special Reserve, Blue Queen and Artisan’s Blend.

Plenty to be going on with there! 😄

1 Reply
Charles

Trusted Member

I was choosing between Presbyterian Mix and Father Dempsey for my real first foray into English. I’m sure either is a good first step. I’d like to work my way up to a NightCap but I think that is a ways off as I’m not overly fond of a heavy nicotine hit. So I'm trying to gather a list and plan out the path ahead. Thanks for these suggestions!

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I will try to limit this to some standouts for me since Latakia is such a big pool to dive into and there are many blends that it appears in, that I enjoy.

Mac Baren Solent Mixture is my most reached for English, it’s a Danish aromatic version, light Latakia presence. Next is an often hard to find one, but it is occasionally available here and can be ordered from Germany, which is Robert Lewis Tree Mixture. Unquestionably my favorite non aromatic English. In the medium range, it has a complexity and balance that I really enjoy. For a more full experience, C&D Billy Budd, the added cigar leaf is fun and Holly’s Discovery, just Latakia and Virginia. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Never tried Presbyterian, and I´m really curious abut this blend. Davidoff Royalty is also an excellent entry level blend along with Peterson Early Morning mixture. Next steep would be Squadron leader, as Lee says, or Mac Baren HH Balkan blend. G.L. Pease Medium English blends are also superb, Westminster, Caravan, Samara... If you feel you are ready for venture deeper in the mysterious dark leaf, Artisan´s blend and Peterson Nightcap are true classics, but be quiet and relaxed when smoking them.

Nick R
Noble Member

I smoke English blends only when my wife isn't around- so fairly rarely. She had some choice words about their unique bouquet 🤣 .I love Plum Pudding, Early Morning Pipe and Old Joe Krantz Red. I am still dipping my toe into latakia heavy blends and many of the other listed suggestions are being added to my wish list.

3 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

My wife says Latakia blends smell like a burnt tire, and worse things not fit to be said between gentlemen.

Latakia heavy blends recommended here are perfect examples of the genre. I would add G.L. Pease Abingdon and Odyssey because they are strong but a little less, but have incomparable finesse.

Nick R

Noble Member

Someone suggested that I smoke pure perique and then my wife wouldn't complain about latakia. After consideration I chose not to try that experiment! 🤣

Charles

Trusted Member

Plum Pudding is always on my list. Years ago when I was first starting to smoke a pipe, I put more attention to trying all the things rather than focusing on learning the basics. I subscribed to a monthly “tobacco box” and accumulated a LOT of tobacco that I had no idea how to appreciate. Plum Pudding was one of them. Sad to think about the tins wasted. So 10 years later, I’m looking to revisit it.

Haddock
Trusted Member

This one : https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1033/samuel-gawith-skiff-mixture/

Pretty much every day smoke for me. 

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I love this blend. The Orientals in it are superb. But it´s a medium English blend. It´s far from a full one.

nach0
Noble Member

You have got a lot of material to study already, i´d recommend only 1 more chapter called Samuel Gawith - Perfection.

target="_blank"