Desert Island Blend...

Notifications
Clear all

Desert Island Blend... GO!

Page 1 / 2

Casey Smith
Topic starter
Estimable Member

If you could only smoke one tobacco for the rest of your life, what would it be? 

I would honestly die a happy man with anything from Warped but, I would choose:

Kings Stride

For me, it covers everything. Delicious, complex, silky smooth mouth feel, easy to work with, behaves well in the pipe, delightful lingering taste... Perfection!

Cheers!  

72 Replies
CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

McClelland Black Shag or Pipe Force Episode V.

4 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Oh man... Thought I could get away without having to stock up on any of the Pipe Forces... Reviews have been mixed but, if its a desert island blend for ya, its probably worth a try. Gonna have to get some now 🙂 Cheers! 

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

Next month's is my favorite and I highly recommend all of them.

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

I'm on it! Thank you! 

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

You're welcome! 

Trusted Member

HGL. No, wait, Skiff Mixture. No, wait, Field and Stream Match. No, wait, 7Seas Black. No wait, Capstan Blue. No wait...

3 Replies

Trusted Member

I guess I can't edit, or I waited too long to try. Seriously, my one desert island blend would have to be Camel. The best thing about smoking a pipe is all the numerous and wonderful and varied blends out there. Just from open rotation of tins and jars I can smoke my 5 pipes a day for a month and not only never repeat a smoke, but can avoid blends that step on other blends' toes (like the different versions of Balkan Sobranie or all the codger blends I have). The desert island question kneecaps the best thing about smoking a pipe. I've often wondered how Granddad could smoke the same tub of [drug store brand] for 40 years or more. But I suppose Carter Hall was the old man's Camels.

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Yup, its really hard to pick just one... forever. I guess that's a good thing though! Cheers!

ugdabug

Reputable Member

Exactly.

BriarBerg

I think I'd have to go with Orlik Golden Sliced or Amphora Virginia. They're like vanilla ice cream to me. Exploring all kinds of mixtures is one of my favorite parts of smoking a pipe, but if it has to be one forever, it would be one of these understated pleasures.

Also, if I know myself, I think it may take some time for me to be eatin' good on this island, and an empty stomach paired with a nic heavy blend seems like a bad match for figuring out how to snare a boar. 

2 Replies
BriarBerg

But one other thought...maybe I'd do a curly cut with a bullseye to get a little variation without having to pick through ribbons. The question is then, do I want a Cavendish center like Davidoff Medallions, or Kentucky like Newminster 403? I think the latter.  

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Orlik is a solid pick! I was thinking Escudo too. Both, solid choices. But, if I only had to pick one, I would have to go with something more complex. However, I don't think complexity would really matter if its the only tobacco I could ever smoke again. They probably would all get one dimensional after awhile 😂 Cheers! 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I know the idea is to name one, but I’m torn between my top five, I suppose any of them would work out. Royal Yacht, GH Bosun Plug, cut or not doesn’t matter, GH Dark Plug, Erinmore Mixture and GLP Windjammer. I should note that Watch City Slices is definitely in my top picks, but since it’s no more, I wouldn’t pick it for the only tobacco I could have.

5 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

These are great! I haven't tried Bosun Plug. Another one I'll have to put on my list 😂 Love me some Royal Yacht though! Cheers! 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I’d be happy to send you some Bosun Cut Plug to try, but when I went to send you a PM, I couldn’t seem to find anyway to do that on this new forum. If you’re interested, I could post my email address, I don’t care if that’s public.

Deckard Cain

Trusted Member

Bosun cut plug is a righteous choice. Smooth, strong and utterly top-notch

Ryland Brown

Eminent Member

Posted by: Ted

I know the idea is to name one, but I’m torn between my top five, I suppose any of them would work out. Royal Yacht, GH Bosun Plug, cut or not doesn’t matter, GH Dark Plug, Erinmore Mixture and GLP Windjammer. I should note that Watch City Slices is definitely in my top picks, but since it’s no more, I wouldn’t pick it for the only tobacco I could have.

I love Windjammer. It's in my top five.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I am grateful to the person who strongly encouraged me to try it a few years back!

CKC

Solani Aged Burley Flake - luxury all-day smoke in my opinion. If I only get one, I don't want too much going on with it...

1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Smokingpipes just had a drop! Gone in a couple hours. Almost grabbed some but, already sitting on some tins. That stuff is amazing! Nice pick! 

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. 

1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Going with a classic! Consistent and an old faithful for some! Cheers!  

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

I am a big perique smoker, but it's really hard to pick just one blend. I'll take the homework assignment extra seriously.

If I am on a desert island, it's likely to be hot, humid, and tropical. I want to pick a blend that I love, but isn't overwhelming considering the climate. I need a heavy enough dose of perique to really enjoy that spicy figgy goodness. It should also have enough vitamin N to relax the soul.

I will have to go with Dan Tobacco's Ascanian No 2.
10% perique, all day smoke, and never gets boring.

2 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Nice! I haven't tried that one BUT, I have a decent amount of Salty Dog 🤤 On another note, I just finished a bowl of Ken Byrons Acadian Flek! It's amazing. If you haven't tried it, it's absolutely worth it and it's in stock now. Cheers!  

Sir Otter

Reputable Member

I will put it on my wishlist when that feature returns 😀

Ithian
Estimable Member

Subject to change, but currently that's Peterson/Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls. The breadiness does it for me.

2 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Love it! Solid choice! If you haven't tried it yet... Ken Byrons Acadian Flek is amazing!!! Smoking now and it's heaven. Easily a desert island. I'm addicted to anything he drops so, I'm biased lol I need to stop so his blends are always in stock though 🤦 Cheers! 

Ithian

Estimable Member

I just read up on it. Sounds amazing. I wish I could add it to my wishlist but have to wait for that feature to be implemented on this site now.

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

This is a ridiculous and difficult question. I love complex English blends so much I can't imagine living without them. But they tend to not deliver in the nic department.  I suppose if I took in English with me, it would be either charring cross, nightcap, or fusilier's ration.  If I were to only have an English blend on an island, I doubt I would smoke it nearly as often for fear of not appreciating it.  And I would limit myself to smoking a pipe every couple of days.

But, vapors and Virginia blends tend to be more monochromatic by their very design.  So I think there is less appreciation to lose.  They also tend to deliver really decent satisfaction.  So they would be a better choice. I guess my absolute pic would be stokkeby's deluxe Navy rolls, or maybe even bosun cut plug.  If resurrecting old tobaccos was an option, it would definitely be black shag by McClellan.  So sweet smooth and satisfying, and one of the only pipe tobaccos with a legit toasted flavor.  In fact it might be worth staying on the desert island if I was able to get hold of that delicious tobacco again.

Casey Smith
Topic starter
Estimable Member

Oh man! I love nightcap and fusilier's ration! But, I can see the appeal of choosing a Va/Per too. It's hard to pick just one and I feel no matter what you pick, after years of smoking it, it would  no doubt become one dimensional 😂

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

Tough one! I’m with those who think it might get too much having to smoke a complex tobacco every time. I imagine it would get old quicker than a more straightforward blend. But, who knows? Most of us love mixing things up in order to avoid any monotony. It’s one of the best things about pipe smoking.

So, to answer the question, I suppose I’d have to go with My Own Blend’s Old School. It has enough complexity to keep the smoker interested and isn’t likely to become tiresome in the long term.

Peterson/Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls is a good shout, though 🤔 

2 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

DNR seems to be the one almost everyone can agree on or at least be happy with 😂 And for good reason!! I haven't had the chance to smoke My Own Blend but, I hear it's heavenly! Cheers! 

DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

Some of the blends that seem not-very-complex in fact have a changing tapestry of flavors. Fire up a bowl of "Royal Yacht" and notice how it changes as the bowl caramelizes and as different embedded flavors float up to the top. This is what I would take to a desert island: a cargo ship worth of "Royal Yacht."

Andre Tessier

Sutliff Crumble Kake Red Virginia or Country Squire Green Dragon.

1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Dang! I really need to try green dragon and old toby just havent gotten around to it! I have some Sutliff Crumble Kake aging though. Good choice! 

Florida_man
Eminent Member

That’s a hard question, but if I had to pick right now it would be watch city’s old dominion . I’ve been smoking so much of it the past few months and I keep reaching for it.

3 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Watch City has come up a couple times! old dominion and slices i believe. I need to try both of these 🤦 And my list continues to grow 😂 Cheers! 

Florida_man

Eminent Member

They have some great blends 558 is another good one, it’s kind of like old dominion but earthier and deeper in flavor. Watch city slices are good too, it’s kind of like a old school burly blend but better. Unfortunately they don’t make the slice’s anymore, it got replaced by Waltham broken cake, I’m sure it taste just the same though.

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Dang! I'm gonna grab some old dominion!  I'm curious what thats all about! Holy crow... just looked at their blends. There is a ton I think I would love! old dominion for sure. Thanks!

ATW
Reputable Member

Peterson Elizabethan hands down. Runner up would be Cornell and Diehl blending Virginia flake. And I'd only be be using a cob.

3 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Solid pick! Never had that blending flake though. However, I just popped a 5yr old tin of Opening Night about a month ago... it doesn't better than that. Top tier for sure. I've heard of its potential but, people dont REALLY talk about it too much. So, it doesn't surprise me you would pick that. Cheers! 

DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

This stuff? https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/331/cornell-diehl-virginia-flake/

Yes, it is quite tasty, and with a little age, really magnificent. I used to mix it with Brown Twist Sliced for some kick.

ATW

Reputable Member

That's the one. I've probably went thru 3 pounds of it within 2 or 3 years. 

Estimable Member

These desert island questions are always tough because the answers are only reflective of what my thoughts are today. Tomorrow, my answer might be quite different.

As of today, thinking of what I've experienced thus far, and considering the mixture would be the only one I've ever smoke until I pass on to the great beyond, I'd want something that would be an all day kind of smoke. Something that wasn't too bland, nor too complex. A simple smoke, yet one that in its simplicity had enough variety to keep me interested.

So, after some significant consideration, I'd pick Sutliff's Match Holiday. It has enough variety to make it interesting, yet is easy going enough to make a pleasant all day smoke.

And on that note, I think I'll have a bowl.

2 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

I had to look this baccy up! It's and old OTC if I read correctly. Larus & Brothers OTC Holiday Mixture? I'm curious about trying it. It seems this tobacco has some nostalgia to it and quite the following for those that smoked the original. Nice choice! Cheers! 

Estimable Member

Yep, an old Larus OTC. My dad smoked it in the 50s. Burley. A bit of sweet. A bit of Latakia. I enjoy it.

Pipes Comics
Trusted Member

GL Pease Cumberland. It's sweet, subtle and brutal at the same time. Every smoke is different, perfect at the end of the day, it's my "contemplative" tobacco

1 Reply
Deckard Cain

Trusted Member

That is the best description of Cumberland I've ever heard. I just love it. It reminds me of olden days, and it reminds me of America.  I smoke it every year on the 4th of July while I put off firecrackers with my kids.  

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

G.L. Pease Odyssey, Spark plug, and Abingdon. And maybe London Blend 1000.

1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

G.L. Pease! Nice! Can't go wrong there! I've been diggin into his Va/Pers lately. Cheers! 

Upnorth

I would be happy if I got stranded with Rattrays Old Gowrie. And some well trained pigeons drops some HH Pure Virginia, HH Old Dark Fired or Solani SilverFlake a couple of times each year

Pipetweed

As long as my desert island can be in a mild/temperate climate zone (like the remoter islands of the Aleutian chain or Inaccessible Island in the south), Peterson Old Dublin, hands down. 

If it must be a Pacific hotspot, then Samuel Gawith's Grousemoor. 

Page 1 / 2

target="_blank"