Forums

Favorite Ken Byron ...

Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Ken Byron Blend

Casey Smith
Topic starter
Estimable Member

I'm dubbing Ken Byron our Crown Jewel of tobacco blenders! Simply amazing and straight talent! He would get the equivalent of 3 Michelin Stars if we had a system like that.

He even has me hooked on aromatics which, I never thought would happen.

His blends are so well thought out and blended with such talent he is up there with Mike McNiel. Dare I say... better. If Mike and Willy Wonka had a baby... It would Ken Byron. 

There is always a new line up and each of them, a unique and wonderful experience. I cant say enough. Now... for my favorite:

Sakura

Reading the description, I wasn't overly excited and not many people talk about it. BUT, holy delicious, complex, and amazing! Just deep rich flavors and the tobacco looks so good you'll want to eat it!

Honorable mention... there are actually a couple but... Van Gogh! Either one, easily a desert island blend! Cheers! 

31 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Van Gogh is really fun, I have a new unopened bag of it next to me right now. One that I tried last year based on a recommendation on another site that really surprised me is Dark Fired Cherry. I was not looking for another cherry blend at all. But this is great stuff. Cherry, nougat and maybe a touch of coffee is what I seem to pick up in it, but I’m not positive. Totally unlike any cherry blend I’ve ever tried, and I’ve tried a lot of them over the years. It seems weird to be recommending a cherry blend but this is it.

1691722199-image.jpg
2 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

I stare at that every time I'm on his site but, never pulled the trigger. Think I might have to now 😂 If you haven't tried Sakura... I'ts amazing. I'm guessing quite a bit lighter on the cherry but amazing. Cheers! 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I have a bag of Sakura that I bought last year when I ordered the Dark Fired Cherry, I figured in for a penny…. I haven’t tried it yet though. I should also give a shout out to The Oriental Affair, that one surprised me in a good way. 

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

I have never tried any of his blends.  I am a dyed in the wool smoker of all non-aromatics. I especially like English blends that have some power.  

So where should I start? Where do you buy it? Is it impossible to get your hands on, like esoterica?

8 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

His tobaccos are not difficult to get, although some are out of stock often, they usually get restocked fast. I’m an occasional aromatic smoker only and it seems he has more non aromatic blends than aromatics. He has a number of exceptional English blends and his Van Gogh is a Virginia that is outstanding in my opinion. As far as I know, the only place to buy his tobaccos is his website, kbven.com. 

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Ted covered most it. You can get most of his drops easy enough although they will sell out. Sometimes he gets rare ingredients and when they're gone, it's the last time you'll see that blend offered.

He has fantastic english blends. I believe he has Goblin City right now. His aromatics are on another level though. He uses his flavors/toppings just enough to enhance his tobaccos... with the exception of a couple anyway.

I stumbled upon him after I tried almost everything out there and found him to be a breath of fresh air. I consider him the Crown Jewel of tobacco blenders and kinda like our Willy Wonka 😂 I think everyone will enjoy his blends but, the seasoned smoker will really REALLY appreciate his talent. Cheers! 

Deckard Cain

Trusted Member

Thanks for the info. I just got on his site and ordered a bunch. Arcadia, dark fired cherry, Van Gogh, goblin City.  I bought a couple cans of each.  Super excited

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Yes!!! That's awesome! I'm excited for you 😂 Van Gogh is in my top 5 all time as well as Sakura. Which, is crazy to say but true. I smoked a bowl of Acadian Flek today and it was heaven! I'll probably get some more of that soon. I look forward to your thoughts on them! Cheers! 

Deckard Cain

Trusted Member

Received 2 tobacco orders today.  One is a big 16 can order of nothing but the warped blends.  Second order is from Ken Byron. I got home from work... And couldn't help myself. I immediately stuffed the bowl full of Acadian flek.  I must say, this is seriously nice stuff.  Everything about it is sweet sweet sweet Virginia. And the Parikh is as fruity and lively as I've ever seen it. Spicy, but not with that throat drying effect.  This brand of tobacco seems very refined indeed. I think already like it better than a lot of my favorite va-pers.  (Mind sufficiently blown)  And by the way Casey, I bought this on your recommendation alone. 

I also bought a couple of packages each of Dark fired cherry, Van Gogh, and River of deceit. 

I have no idea when I'm going to get around to trying all of those warped plans I bought.  I can just tell that I'm going to slide into a hole with this Ken Byron stuff.  I'm 30 minutes into a nice big bowl of Acadian fleck, and if it gets any smoother I'm going to end up writing one of those 10,000 word reviews.  

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Whoa! That's awesome! What a great way to come home after work. I'm glad you like it. I'll see you at the bottom of that KBV hole, Sir. I think he is a mad tobacco blending genius and his blends have been thing I've been smoking 😂 I think you are going to like Van Gogh too! Easily one of the best Virginias I've smoked.

Warped is another great grab! Between the two of them, you are all set for a bit. I haven't popped my midsommar yet. From the reviews I read, it might need some age. Enjoy, Sir! Cheers! 

SpiralOut

Jigsaw Plateau is absolutely phenomenal.

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Dang! I passed on that one! I'll grab it! Looks like he's about to drop a new B. Frog's too! Cheers! 

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

I don't think I've ever come across such intense Virginia flavor.  Van Gogh is potent and awesome. While Acadian fleck is a seriously complex blend that starts right out with a very lively tangyness that I have rarely encountered before.  Amazed that I never tried this stuff before.  But, that's why our hobby is so wonderful.  I have to say, I'm quite sure we live in the Golden age of pipe tobacco.  How fortunate to have this incredible variety of blends, with so much variation and quality on display.

1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

That's awesome! I'm so glad you like them! I can't stop smoking his blends and talking about them. I'm thankful to have this community to be able to discuss these things.

Looks like KBV is going to drop B. Frog's Zen Garden one of these days. Bright and Stoved Virginias cased with Japanese Whisky. Sounds like it could be a winner!

Deckard, if you get a chance, pick up some Sakura too. The description turned me away at first but, it's another gem. 

Cheers, Fellas! 

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

Well, it has happened. Ken Byron ventures have become my new favorite tobacco blender/producer.   Well, maybe not. My love affair with G.L. Pease turned into a platonic relationship years ago.  But, I can't get enough of Ken Byron's blends.  My latest order, just made today....

Product Total
Mr. Christian's Acadian Flek × 3 $41.97
KBV Sakura (2022) × 8 $111.76
Eldritch Pipes Goblin City (2023) × 2 $25.98
KBV King's Ransom 221B × 3 $38.91
KBV Moriarty 221B × 2 $23.94
Subtotal: $242.56
Shipping: Free Shipping
1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Haha! Welcome brother! It's all I smoke now lol! I tell myself it's perfect, I'll just smoke all his blends while my tins age 😂

Sakura is amazing!!!! But I could rave about them all! I picked up Zen Garden when it dropped! Another gem!!! This guy is our Crown Jewel! People will be talking about his blends for years! KBV is our McClelland's!!! 

MS

What a great question!  I am a new pipe smoker, less than a year.  I currently have 21 different blends of KBV and will be buying more.  Obviously, I really like his tobacco…LOL. 

Moriarty 

Jupiter Slices

Burley Morning

The Patience of Dr. Silence

The problem is they all are amazing.   

Acadian Flek will be my next purchase based on the comments. Sold out at the moment.

3 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Haha! I'm with you! They are all so good! Jupiter Slices 🤤

MS

They sure are.  It seems like KBV is a hidden jewel.   I am thankful for Jiminks and his reviews of them.   He turned me on to KBV.  

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Right! You can tell he loves them too! His reviews are the reason i pulled the trigger for the first time... Verge Engine Overdrive 🤤

Estimable Member

Okay guys. I just bit the bullet. Although most of the selections were out of stock.

I ordered:

Dark Fired Cherry

Van Gogh

River of Deceit

Mr Christian's Brown Flek

Now, I guess I wait for the doors of paradise to open. 🙂

2 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Yes!!! Let me know what you think! Van Gogh and Brown Flek are amazing!! Well done

Estimable Member

I will let you know! 

Trusted Member

Earlier this year I ordered his King’s Ransom due to my affinity towards dark fired Kentucky and this stuff had me singing his praises. I had to go back for 3 more pouches! His Banana Bread light aro is legendary as well. I cannot say enough about this blender

-cheers boys

1 Reply

Trusted Member

Posted by: GenXPiper

Earlier this year I ordered his King’s Ransom due to my affinity towards dark fired Kentucky and this stuff had me singing his praises. ! A royal affair of Latakia, Virginia, Orientals, and Cavendish. I had to go back for 3 more pouches! His Banana Bread light aro is legendary as well. I cannot say enough about this blender

-cheers boys

Hello fellow KBV friends. I've been smoking his blend since the beginning of 2020. KBV Byronic Slices and Fragments got me through the pandemic. I am mostly a non-aromatic smoker. His plugs are what I said stock and cellar. But the year have gone nuts on his other non-aromatic and haven't open a single one yet. No worries at all because the reviews are all totally in favor of the blend. He shorted me one bag on an order that sold out but man did he make up for it. Dude sent me a half pound of other blend that were no longer available from their stash. GREAT BLENDS AND GREAT PEOPLE!!!

HogDogger15

I buy Verge Engine Overdrive every time it drops. Hands down my favorite. Just finished the last of my Orange Thunder which is probably my 2nd favorite and Van Gogh 3rd.

PS looks like Starry Knights just dropped. It's described as a gournet Cavendish cased with herbal liquor and black cherry fragrance 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

All of these posts have me wanting to place another order for all of the KBV blends I haven’t tried yet. 

1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Haha! I just picked up some starry knight and some more jupiter slices 😂🤦

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

I really like Sakura and many others. I just picked up his Tavern Bar and cannot wait to try it.

1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Sakura is amazing! The only thing that has pulled me away from kbv blends is a tin of 2019 carolina red flake! Holy what the?!? that stuff is in the same ball park as CC! No joke! On that same note... I believe they are dropping their small batch crf/pe tomorrow!! woot! Cheers! 

target="_blank"