A Trip on the Teuto...

Notifications
Clear all

A Trip on the Teutonic Tobacco Train

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

So, yesterday, I took a trip on the Teutonic Tobacco Train - my alliterative attempt to describe nipping over the border between Denmark and Germany, (for the greater selection of tobacco). It actually saves me money, train fare included, so is worth the 6-hour round trip.

Ironically, most of the tobacco I bought is made in Denmark, but isn’t sold here. The Scandinavian Tobacco Group can’t be bothered printing Danish labels for the few hundred (?) pipe smokers who live here, as they don’t consider it profitable enough. Plus, Danes tend to like flavourings added to their tobacco and I don’t, which makes sourcing tobacco elsewhere even more of a priority.

Anyway, I’ve been able to build a collection of around 50 different blends, providing me with plenty of choice and a tobacco for every occasion. Yesterday, as well as purchasing some “top-ups”, I bought some blends I haven’t tried before:

Mac Baren HH Rustica

Ashton Artisan’s Blend

Rattray’s Hal O’ the Wynd 

Davidoff Flake Medallions 

I’m looking forward to trying these in the coming days and I intend to write reviews on each when I do.

Happy smoking!

6 Replies
CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

All solid tobaccos. Enjoy.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Great choices! I find Germany to be a great source for pipe tobacco and if I could drive there, I’d probably have even more than I do now. Over the years I have ordered many tobacco’s from there and had them shipped to the US. While there are a few Mac Baren tobaccos that aren’t available here that are regularly stocked in Germany, I have mostly ordered DAN an HU tobaccos which are not readily available here. Talking about this makes me think of HU Edward G, which I think I will smoke a bowl of right now. 

Clamarnicale

Germany is indeed the last great tobacco outpost in Europe. I live in Sweden myself and the blends available here are even fewer than what one can get in Denmark. 

The Davidoff flake medallions are sublime, as is Halothe wynd. You chose…..wisely. 👍🏼👍🏼

Trusted Member

Yes, Germany is the sweet spot.  Nothing here in rural France worth having.  Across the border in Spain is cheap but drug store blends.  I just got finished smoking 2 pipies at once. 2 different Dan Pipe blends.  Ascadian no 2 which is a lovely perique bomb and St Bernard flake.  Reiminds me a lot of St James flake.

The St Bernard flake is virginia forward with a nice perique showing through.  More citrus and overall brighter.  The Ascadian is 10 percent perique and possibly a bit of fermentation going on.  Rich, round, very little in the way of twang (in a good way) or citrus.  Dark, rich and round.  Super Perique forward.  Since I cellaring is harder here I may opt to stock up on the Ascadian and in times I want more virginia simply do a little mixology with some added flake or ribon of straight virginia.  I do enjoy mixing.

I have my eye on Halo the wynd too

Ive some Ashon Artisian blend myself to try but the morning has been dedicated to vapers.

Im glad I have friends in Germany that drop by!

1 Reply
Pipes Comics

Trusted Member

We can very goods tobaccos in Switzerland too! In fact, it's the only one country in Europe where we can find GL Pease, C&D tobaccos (and some in Germany now)

target="_blank"