Forums

TobaccoPipes.com Co...

Notifications
Clear all

TobaccoPipes.com Compare & Share August 2023

BriarBerg
Topic starter

I figure this would be a good place to situate conversation around the TobaccoPipes Compare & Share blends. For those unfamiliar, the gist is that TP does a monthly offering of two mystery blends, 1 oz of each, and discloses the blends at the end of the month. In the meantime, folks can discuss their impressions or just use it as a fun way to explore new things or see how well they identify a blend/brand/varietals. There's a Facebook group where we discuss, and I will post my impressions to Instagram, but think this would make a good place as well, especially for those that might not do social media. 

The longer explanation as well as past blends is in this TP blog if you're interested in knowing more: https://www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/compare-share-reveal/

6 Replies
BriarBerg
Topic starter

We have two flakes for August Compare & Share, and so far I’ve been enjoying Mystery Blend No 1 very much—currently packed in my Longchamp Billiard.

We have some very nice, thin sliced flakes. Medium brown with plenty of bright strands and red that’s more noticeable once rubbed out. Reminds me of Orlik Golden Sliced but I feel as though this flake leans darker. They appear brighter in the photos, the brown is much warmer than the lighting lets on.

Tin scent is sweet grass and hay, very nice bright Virginia notes. This translates to the taste very well, along with baking bread, herbal tea, plummy fruit, cane sugar, some tartness. It’s not without a bit of spice in the sinus either.

The herbal and sweet character certainly lean into the Orlik association. During some smokes I’m convinced that's what it is, but others less so. I note during one smoke that I notice more spice and maybe some more Orange/Red Virginia character with Mystery Blend No 1. It seems just a little more rustic, but I’d have to try them side by side. At any rate, Orlik’s one of my favorites, so whatever I have here, it's certainly to my taste. Especially when folded in, which has become my preference—both the sweetness and spice seem accentuated.

1691611314-1.png
1 Reply
BriarBerg

Can only post one pic per post it seems, here's the "cut pic" as I call it

1691611377-2.png
CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

Some day I should do this. Seems like a lot of fun.

BriarBerg
Topic starter

On to Mystery Blend No 2. The cut started as a long flake, likely a European manufacture given the consistency. However, winding the flake to the walls of a small Ball jar brought it to more of a broken flake.

I couldn’t get much from the bag note originally, but after some time sealed in the jar the aroma is more noticeable upon opening. The mild wood and hay scent gives a natural impression.

As for the smoke, I definitely get Burley flake from No 2. Natural yet subtle flavor. Cocoa, vegetative, woody, and some nutmeg sweetness that seems to build in the first half of the smoke. I get some floral and grassy notes, more noticeable when I’m especially mindful of keeping the burn at an easy smolder. Maybe some Virginia, also suggested by the mild sweetness.

I thought I’d try No 2 beside Cobblestone Hiking. I know this isn’t Hiking, as it’s already been a Mystery Blend, but it’s the only Burley flake I have on deck and the light between two similar mixtures can often illuminate those nuances that make a blend its own. I found Hiking to be somewhat sweeter, while No 2 leans more into the spice and nutty side. I think I prefer No 2. Hiking is a blend I truly enjoy, but No 2 is giving me something very interesting yet easy going. One of those that delivers a gratifying smoke with each bowl, though not always the same experience.

Okay, gonna try this spoiler thing for the first time...

Spoiler
I'm pretty sure it's...
HH Burley Flake. Going on taste alone, I'd be scratching my head, but I think the cut narrows it down.

1692812856-CS17-MB-2-1.png
1 Reply
BriarBerg

Mystery Blend No 2

1692812893-CS17-MB-2-2.png
BriarBerg
Topic starter

August blends were revealed to be 4th Generation Evening Flake and Mac Baren HH Burley Flake

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/compare-share-reveal/

target="_blank"