Forums

TobaccoPipes.com Co...

Notifications
Clear all

TobaccoPipes.com Compare & Share October 2023

BriarBerg
Topic starter

The summer heat lingered, but it seems fall is now here. Much as I love spending as much free time as I can at the river, something about the crisp fall air really complements a good smoke. It seems this first blend for October’s Compare & Share leans into that.

Mystery Blend No 1 sees short, narrow cuts of ribbon in shades mostly medium to dark brown with some lighter tan flecks. The tin note gives a mix of top flavorings, maple forward with creamy, caramel, honey sweetness. Clearly an Aromatic, pinching it between my fingers there’s a decent moisture content, but has more of that hydrated, springy consistency as opposed to “goopy.”

Maple, honey, sweet molasses all meet eagerly once lighting up blend no 1. It takes a light easily, but the moisture content asks for a few more relights than average—not enough to groan about.

It’s certainly tasty, and that maple translates to the room note, or so two friends have noted. Sweet but not cloying (at least for its genre—but those who disfavor Aromatics of this nature may disagree). Not super complex but there are nuances. An Aromatic with a bouquet devised with intention. Which is to say, not one dimensionally maple, but the top flavors together are the story more or less, with some brighter accents of citrus.

My current bowl is with my Rossi Piccolo 313 by Savinelli. I’ve gravitated toward smaller bowls for blend no. 1. Not as a matter of performance, but because smaller is usually my preference for decidedly Aromatic mixtures with minimal tobacco flavor—something I certainly enjoy from time to time, but my interest tends to wane with a long lasting bowl.

Mystery Blend no. 1 feels right for the season and I'll certainly keep enjoying it.

1696949513-IMG-4286.jpg
3 Replies
BriarBerg
Topic starter

Mystery Blend No. 1 in my Rossi Prince

1696949568-IMG-4249.jpg
BriarBerg
Topic starter

On to Mystery Blend No. 2 for October Compare & Share.

Another Aromatic, but this time a flake. Taking in the tin note, No. 2 doesn’t seem to bear a straightforward top flavor, but a miscellany of berry fruitiness, a bit tart, with a honey sweetness. To me, this is suggesting the Danish style of Aromatics.

Clearly I’ve been on a Brigham kick recently, as I’ve packed my Klondike 84 for this smoke (last post featured my Brigham Algonquin 206). Another recent acquisition, I’ve been taken with this shape for some time, and the smoking performance has given even more to appreciate.

Blend No. 2 has more often asked for a couple char lights to get a good smolder going, unless given some dry time. It’s not very finicky either way, maybe a few more re-lights than average, but I’ve become accustomed to giving a little drying time, laying out some flakes/ready-rubbed 30 min or so prior to lighting.

Lighting up, the berry tartness is pronounced, with an underlying creamy sweetness. Honey and caramel offer that more bodied sweetness that contrasts with sharper tart and citrus notes. I’ve noticed a cocoa flavor as well, some smokes more than others. Sometimes it develops, sometimes it is consistent.

All in all, No. 2 is an Aromatic that probably isn’t for the pipe smoker with an aversion to forward top flavoring, but may hit home to those who enjoy an Aro that can’t be so neatly, monochromatically defined as a “[cherry/vanilla/maple etc.] blend.” There are layers here.

1697748162-oct2023-mb2cut.jpg
1 Reply
BriarBerg

Compare & Share Mystery Blend 2 in my Brigham Klondike 84 Volcano

1697748217-oct2023-mb2-brigham.jpg

target="_blank"