McClelland Frog Morton

(3.24)
An exceptionally dark, rich and full Latakia Mixture designed for those who desire really satisfying Latakia flavor but want a pipe tobacco soft enough to smoke anytime. It took Frog Morton four years to perfect this unique blend designed for smoking in quiet serenity. It is his proudest achievement.
Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frogmorton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.24 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 60 of 372 Reviews
May 28, 2015 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This has been a pleasant smoke. It has stoved Virginias that dominate with a slightly heavy and sweet. There is condimental latakia and a subtle topping that I think is fruit. I was not just bowled over by this, but found it nicely balanced and easy to smoke.

The topping burns off in the first half of the bowl, and the last few puffs are a little ashy for me.

If you are thinking about trying latakia and don't want a bomb, this might be something to try. I think it is a little overrated, but I can believe some people like this more than I do. It is more of a 2.5 for me.
Nov 01, 2014 Medium None Detected Full Pleasant
Love it! A real smooth latakia smoke that can be enjoyed all day. Reminds me of a real good single malt. Did not detect that McCelland ketchup aroma upon opening the tin. Really a nice room note that reminds me of a English library when one could smoke pipes while enjoying good literature. Don't know what all the fuss is about the picture on the tin...don't judge a book by its cover. A great smoke with no bite.
Pipe Used: Giuseppe Dublin
PurchasedFrom: Barclay and Rex
Oct 25, 2014 Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I know this one already has many reviews. But I don't see many from people, such as my self, who have never smoked an English blend before. Having only smoked Aros for eight years I finally took the advice of my local tobacconist and tried this Frog Morton. As I understand it, it is also often referred to as "Frog on a Log".

First I thought the tin note was that of "traditional tobacco". Turns out the aroma is actually from the Latakia, something I had yet to experience. Which as it turns out smokes much better than I had originally expected.

This tobacco is very light in nicotine making it a very good option for an all day smoke.

This being my first i counter with Latakia I could not have been happier. Even my wife, who tends to dictate what tobaccos I put into my pipes, enjoys the "campfire" aroma.

The smoke is very light and does not tend to linger.

Packing the bowl is also much easer than I am used to. It does not tend to expand as much as the Aros I typically smoke. And it burns evenly all the way to the bottom, often with only one or two lights, with out really heating the bowl. Also on that note I noticed I could puff on it like a chimney without suffering from a lava bowl or tong bite.

In short I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good introduction to an English blend. I can only hope it does not set the bar too high for all the others I am now excited to try.
Age When Smoked: 1.5 years
Jun 11, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Dark brown and (predominantly) black. Smell: molasses. This is a smooth, medium strength, reasonably full-bodied, well-rounded latakia mixture, with hints of leather, molasses and especially blackcurrant. It is a beautiful smoke. I also love the label art of this and the other froggies, pace emmbee.
Pipe Used: Invicta Dublin (and many others)
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins
Jan 13, 2014 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
Well, this is probably not very fair, but I am writting a review on 16 years old Frog Morton, acquired on eBay a few months ago. Maybe it’s the years of storage, maybe it’s all about the American type of blend, which is quite hard to get here in Europe. But this tin of Frog Morton is totally different from all English/Scottish/Italian/whatever latakia blends I have tried so far. Broad cut, very dark in colour, featuring rich and deep aroma, pleasantly salty and sour in taste. In fact, the taste is so unique, so incomparable to other latakia blends, that I plan to get as much as possible tins for storage.
PurchasedFrom: eBay
Age When Smoked: 16
Nov 08, 2013 Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
The day was long and my body was tired. I come home to a cozy house with the fireplace rolling. Out my front window I can see out across the Utsalady Bay and to the far side stands Mount Baker with her snowy top. It was time to smoke a pipe on my front porch and further take in the peaceful and serene view. What to smoke? There's no rush. My mood is relaxed and I'm yearning for a smokey drag. I search my ammo can where I keep my tobacco tins stored. Ahhhh yes. A Mcclelland. Frog Morton. I crack open the can and breathe in its fiery smokey aroma. Deeper in I breathe and there's a alfalfa sent with horse pasture note. There's also a hint of something you can't place your finger on. Maybe a smooth gentle fishy note? Nonetheless it is alluringly pleasant. I pack my dedicated Latakia Savinelli Straight in my religious technique as I always do. Not too tight or loose. Upon first light the Latakia is flowing heavy over the palate. Reminiscent of Dunhills Night Cap but not as strong. The Frog Morton is full bodied and smooth. Consistent. It makes me eager to try out the other Frog Blends. As I mentioned before, there is an underlying fish note that I absolutely adore. A fun blend when you want a break from something as beastly as the Nightcap. Silk and smoke. Awesome. Mcclelland Frog Morton.
Nov 26, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
It is only out of respect of all the brethren that this does not get one star from me. Not that it really matters with nearly 250 reviews to date. I did not like this and this now makes 2 for 2 on frogs I don't like. (FMATP the other)

I think I just probably am not a fan of full english blends in general as I have yet to find one I really like. I also join the chorus lamenting the lack of nicotine with this and with McClelland in general.

The positive. The tin note is incredible. What do you get when you mix ketchup and smoke? BBQ sauce and this is exactly how it smells to me. I like this, several don't. It smokes slow and cool, perhaps cooler than any other smoke I have had. It is hard to even tell it is lit from the feel of the pipe. I imagine it would be hard to get a bite from this. Finally, the room note. I had several people tell me they smelled nothing, which I take as good from a full english blend.

The bad. The taste doesn't do it for me.
Sep 16, 2008 Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
This was the very first blend I loaded into a pipe, and while I have since moved on to "harder" stuff, I do realize that my initial enjoyment of Frog Morton is probably solely responsible for my perseverence with the hobby. As such, it has a certain amount of nostalgia for me which draws me back to it from time to time. I well remember the smile that spread across my face and lasted throughout the entire first bowl. Whenever I feel the need to reminisce about that first experience, I pick up a tin. The first few bowls always remind me what a wonderful revelation this blend was to me. I moved to the pipe from cigarettes, and was quite shocked when I discovered, through FM, that tobacco could actually taste good. After the first few bowls, however, I remember why it's not in my stable regulars: mainly, after moving on to fuller blends, FM does seem like rather weak tea by comparison. I will likely always return to this occassionally, mainly due to nostalgia.

Still this a remarkably pleasant blend, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone who is just starting out, or as a tame but tasty transition blend for someone curious about, but fearful of Latakia.
Oct 18, 2007 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is yet another success by McClelland. They seem to be able to take any mixture and keep it from biting. This is extremely important to me and my smoking tastes. If it bites, even partially, I won't smoke it - period.

The Frog does not bite and has a wonderful spice/incense aroma that is best enjoyed with the the "nasal taste" rather than the tounge.

Latakia takes center stage but doesn't dominate. The virginia compliments well imparting a little "grassyness" though not in an unpleasant way.

This is very similar to Black Watch by ThePiperoom.com, which I similar to the Frog.

The two blends have ever so slight a topping, though Frog's topping is stronger than Black Watch and has more "spice" to it - but I like the spice.

All in all the Frog is a winner. Defintely worth a try for any pipe smoker from aromatic to English fans.

This blend is a modern classic. Well done McClelland

Original review (6-1-07, 3 stars)

Update, 10-18-07, 4 stars * * * * !
Nov 16, 2006 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
10/28/2004:I am going four stars on this one even though I am not completely taken with this one. It may be the only English style mixture I could sneak by the wife without her protesting the "stink" of my clothes. McClellands 2015 really got her protesting and if I can't smoke that and be in the same house this Frog Morton will due as a compromise solution. I will update this review later if this too is shot down! Anyway this is a good blend if you don't mind a little "nougatty" aromatic presence in your English. Your tongue kind of does do a "doubletake" on first puff, but hang in there don't dump it yet! It does taste a bit more traditional as the smoke progresses. I think this may grow on me as long as I don't smoke a straight English or Balkan immediately afterward.

11/16/2006 Update: An excellent introduction to blends that include Latakia. No longer in my rotation.
Jul 25, 2006 Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant
I am a dedicated smoker of the Frog. I use this as my all day smoke. I find that it keeps fresh in its can for long periods. This being the case I keep several cans open wherever I smoke: garage, car, office, rec room, etc. I think the Frog is the perfect blend for me. Taste is very satisfying over the entire day. It is a dark Latakia taste that I enjoy. I never have nicotine problems with the Frog. The tobacco lights well, and stays lit to the bottom of the bowl. This also means that the tobacco smokes dry and has no gurgle. I enjoy some tobaccos that are stronger than Frog, and some that are milder. But I always return to the Frog for real enjoyment. New pipes are always broken in with the Frog as I find that it does not unduly flavor the pipe so as to spoil the pipe for other blends.

Update: 7/25/06. It has been almost 4 years since I posted my notes on the Frog. I still enjoy it very much and fairly often. I continue to try other blends, and from time to time smoke much more of the other blends than I smoke the Frog. But, I always come back to the Frog when I get tired of the others, or when they start to disappoint me. The Frog has become my "old faithful" and when I need to re-adjust my taste in Tobacco, or just sit back and enjoy a smoke, it is time for a Frog. Always satisfying, always a good smoke.
Apr 15, 2006 Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
I remember my first tin of Frog Morton . I was new to Latikia, I think Crowning achievement was my first of this type and FM was next in line. It was January and my passion for the leathery taste of the new tobacco was at a peak. I smoked three tins of this in a row and I remember thinking I would never smoke anything else ! But by the fourth tin something strange happened. It was a though I had become immune. Suddenly it seemed bland and I decided to move on and I have never returned. I think I just over dosed on this very monochromatic blend but it was nice while it lasted. If you have never tried it you should , it?s still a very good memory for me.
Dec 11, 2005 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I am in the process of going back to some of my old favorite tobaccos that I have stored away. This review concerns a four year old can of Frog Morton. This blend used to be a regular in my rotation a couple of years ago. I had to give this a try to see if I wanted to include it in my lineup again. Except for Squadron Leader, I usually reserve my English blends for the evening. Frog Morton was one, if we can call it an English blend (?), that I enjoyed any time of the day. I now find my all day smokes to be either Squadron Leader, Stratford, or Barbary Coast. Somehow Frog Morton just can't get me to jump like it used to. I would finish my day with something like Dunhill's My Mixture 965 at that time. I might be primed for the Latakia with Froggy, but I could really enjoy it in 965 late in the day. Well, 965 isn't in my regular line up anymore, either. I will occasionally pop a tin of the old Dunhill stuff now and then, for a treat. My evenings are usually spent with Durbar, Nightcap,Esoterica's Penzance, Balkan Sasieni, or, if I would like a Virginia/Perique blend...Haddo's Delight. Frog Morton is a great all day smoke, however. It doesn't overpower you. It's great to hand to a piper who want to make the switch from aromatics to English blends. Some will stay within this "pergatory" of tobacco styles, but others will move in another direction to satify their tastes. I moved on. Even a can as old as mine doesn't excite me even if it burns cool and dry without a hitch. If you are a new English smoker I would give this a four star rating. It won't challenge you. Well, it doesn't challenge me, either. I'll step my rating down a notch to three stars simply because Frog Morton doesn't offer me the complexity that I am looking for. I didn't spend my time describing the experience of smoking Frog Morton because so many others have so well. Still, I would recommend that all who haven't tried Frog Morton should give it a whirl.
JB
Apr 14, 2004 Medium Medium Medium Tolerable
I think pipestud's description works for me. This is not my cup of tea, but it certainly seems to be very popular.

Have you ever noticed that this tobacco never dries out? I wonder why that is?
Mar 29, 2004 Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Tolerable
I bought Frog Morton to try on the strength of some of the reviews above. Many people whose taste has guided me to very pleasant tobaccos have said that they like this blend. I do not. I am actually shocked at the divergence of opinion on this tobacco. De gustibus non disputandum, I guess.

On opening the tin, the tobacco is faintly damp and quite sticky. After it dries a little, it lights easily and smokes evenly. There is no bite at all, no matter how hard you puff. These are the good things about Frog Morton.

The taste has been called monochromatic by other reviewers and that is fair. But, I have seen many monochrome photos that I admire and enjoy looking at. Not so this stuff. The taste of Frog Morton is boring. It is like a latakia-spiked candy bar, sweet and sticky to the end. I will spend my time in the future with tobaccos that taste like tobacco, not with this stuff. If you enjoy Frog Morton, please go ahead. I won't be competing with you for the last tin of this on the shelf, that's for sure.

May 2010: I can only say that my opinion of this blend has not changed. It is heavily treated with things that make it burn steadily and taste syrupy sweet. I note that many of the positive reviews of this blend begin with "Well, I have never smoked a pipe before but I really like this one!" Nuff said. I am glad that someone enjoys this stuff. I don't.
Mar 20, 2004 Very Mild Very Mild Full Tolerable
Upon opening the tin I noticed the smell of vinegar. Then when I put my nose closer, I smelled latakia, and not much else. The tobacco is in long strands, so it was a bit of trouble to pack. Nothing terrible however. It was a bit moist, but it fired up just fine. It has a strong, smokey,slightly sweet flavor, with hints of chocolate. No bite whatsoever. It has a very mild nicotine strength. The flavor is a bit monochromatic to me. Towards the end of the bowl I notice the vinegar smell in the room note, as well as the smoke. I will finish the tin I have, but this stuff is just too plain for me.

Addendum: I have smoked this one a while now, and it has all the charm of vinegar soaked charcoal. Smoking it is a bit like kissing the bottom of my barbeque grill...
Jan 27, 2002 Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Appearance: Very dark leaf throughout, with little variation from dark brown to almost dead black. Looks like Black Cavendish and Latakia, nothing else. Right from the can, it was more moist than I like. It showed no tendency to dry out in the air.

Aroma: Very smoky and somewhat sweet. I could not determine what aroma what present, but it is definitely an aromatic crossover.

Packing: Best done with a light touch, or it will not burn.

Lighting: Took flame well enough when packed properly, nohing unusual.

Initial flavor: Just like the aroma, the Latakia predominates, with a sweet background. Because of the flavoring, I don?t taste any Virginia or Turkish.

Mid-bowl: The flavor does not vary as I progress hrough the bowl. Monochromatic is one word word for it, BORING is another. It does smoke dry and cool, though.

Finish: Still boring, leaves a dry ash but also leaves its aoma in the pipe.

Summary: If you are looking for a crossover, then it would be worth a try. The quality is there, but it is just not my style.
Apr 26, 2001 Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Tin Aroma: dusky, but with sweet overtones.

Physical Characteristics: a fine ribbon cut of mostly oily black pieces, with a ribbon of something slightly lighter, here and there. Packs easily. VERY moist. I let it sit opened for several hours before even attempting to smoke it, and have since found that opening the tin upon purchase and then going back in a week or so to smoke it yields the best results for me.

First Light: Yum. This is a good mellow English blend, in the best sense of the word. Strong Latakia flavor, but not overpowering. The Virginias are in evidence, but sublimated to the Latakia and Orientals, so no complaints from me. I will definately be smoking a good bit of this in the future.

Notes: Like a good virginia, and unlike a lot of English blends, the flavor at the bottom of the bowl is the real treat here. The flavor during the last third of the bowl is bursting with duskiness, and is as smooth and thick as a good single malt. The first two thirds of the bowl are extremely pleasant as well, sweet and with a decidely 'earthy', smoky flavor, the flavor that draws me back to 'English' blends over and over again. A bit lighter in texture than it's cousin, Frog Morton on the Town, and the two of them, alternated bowl for bowl, provide me with a full day of english smoking pleasure. I can see recommending this blend to aromatic smokers who are interested in sampling a good english blend. There is the faintest hint of a topping of some kind, though for the life of me, I can't pin down exactly what it is.
Mar 08, 2021 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
It was a happy day when I found a jar from 2018 that I had put away back then to be forgotten with some other jars of course. Now in 2021 I brought it back out to the light to give it a go.

The tobaccos are dark, the tin note is smoky. The moisture content is still perfect. Unlike newer tins and other McC's I don't get the ketchup/bbq note anymore from this jar. It's ribbon cut is chunky and easy to pack. It's fairly easy to light with a charring light and then a true light.

The smoke is quite full/creamy. There is a background sweetness with a campfire accent from the latakia. It burns very cool if not pushed and was even more enjoyable than I remembered back then. The nic level is low to my tolerance and it's def something you could smoke multiple times a day in my book. It produces some moisture in the pipe and really shines to me in smaller or taller bowls.

My favorite Frog has always been Bayou with that touch of perique in it, but with some aging I can tell why this was for so long a favorite.
Pipe Used: Radiator Pipes, Canadians
PurchasedFrom: trade
Jan 17, 2020 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The ole’ Frog! This Latakia based blend is a McClelland staple and favorite of many. First in the Frog Morton series this mild to medium blend greets you with the classic McClelland’s ketchup smell as soon as the tin is popped however it doesn’t translate to the taste of the blend. The Cyprian Latakia is the major player and gives a nice smokey, woodsy flavor. The Virginia’s are typical of McClelland, top notch providing tones of dark fruit, citrus, and grass. Sweet Orientals help round out this blend without overpowering the Latakia or Virginia. Not my favorite of the Frog Morton’s but still an incredible blend that deserves at least one reservation in every smoker’s pipe!
Pipe Used: Dunhill “34” Brandy/Jerry Crawford Bent Egg