McClelland Frog Morton

(3.24)
An exceptionally dark, rich and full Latakia Mixture designed for those who desire really satisfying Latakia flavor but want a pipe tobacco soft enough to smoke anytime. It took Frog Morton four years to perfect this unique blend designed for smoking in quiet serenity. It is his proudest achievement.
Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frogmorton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.24 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 20 of 372 Reviews
Jan 21, 2005 Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant
I started with the Frog Morton spin offs and not the original product. I didn?t expect this one to be as great as Across the Pond or On the Town, but was I proved wrong. This has the more characteristic McClelland Worcestershire aroma in the tin, but the taste and burn are exceptional. The Frog, as I am finding out, is a magnificent critter in all its manifestations.

The leaf is dark stoved Virginia in thick cut ribbons and rubbed out flakes with a nice background of Latakia. The smoke is cool and even, with one charring light usually enough to keep the whole thing going for about an hour of pure smoking delight. The room note is heavenly, and the Latakia, while evident, takes its part gently in the background without crowding out any of the other players. The taste develops and gets better as the bowl progresses. At times the warm & toasty Virginias stand out, but not for long, because the Latakia rears its head to provide curiosity to the nose and palate. This is a tobacco I could smoke all day. The only reason I don?t is that I would run out of the tin in a couple days and have to rush right down to the store to buy another.

I take back all the nasty things I?ve said about McClelland and its barbeque tin aroma throughout the years. When I first tried them, I was too young and foolish to appreciate the quality and magnificence of its pedigree. Frog is a must try for every pipe smoker. Even though taste is such a personal thing, I can?t imagine anyone not liking it, especially those new to non-aromatic English blends. While so many tobaccos are overrated, Frog Morton truly deserves all its accolades.

As for all the embarrassment about the chintzy tin art and the 3rd grade level froggy illustrations, get over it! Okay, so it?s not a visual masterpiece, and it?s a bit on the cutesy side. Is there no room for a bit of playfulness? Besides, it?s the contents that count, and the Frog never disappoints.

Five of five stars
Jun 14, 2013 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The "ketchup/BBQ" scent is there, but doesn't interfere with the taste as much as I expected. The smokey, woody, earthy, musty Cyprian Latakia is the lead component, and plays fairly well with the stewed dark fruity, citrusy, mildly earthy, lightly grassy Virginia. I don't know what the sweet topping is, but it could be whiskey based. It moderately sublimates the tobaccos. The strength is in the center of mild to medium, while the taste barely reaches the medium mark. The nic-hit is a couple of steps past the mild threshold. Needs some drying time before smoking, but don't dry it too much or you'll lose some of the taste. Requires relights, and leaves some moisture in the bowl. Burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a very consistent, fairly smoky smooth flavor from start to finish. Won't bite even if pushed. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste, and can be an all day smoke. It's basically for smokers who don't want lat-bombs and/or easing their way into English blends. More of a crossover blend than a straight English.

-JimInks
Aug 28, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Dark black with flecks of brown leaf in the tin. Good moisture content right out of the jar. Unfortunately, I get the impression that this just misses being a 3 star tobacco by a hair. I can't put my finger on either what's missing or what's there that shouldn't be (I'm leaning toward the former). It's like neither the latakia nor the virginia allows each other to develop. This starts out smoky and mildly spicy and stays that way. The VA's are so light as to be bland and seem to be in the mix only to keep this from being straight latakia. As the previous poster hinted, this blend is not much if any different than any other run-of-the-mill English. There's nothing inherently wrong with it; it just doesn't ring any bells with me.

I'm going to add a smidge of perique or some blending orientals to this to see if I can make it more interesting. If you like a monodimensional mild English that you could probably smoke all day, this should be on your short list. It really did not stand out enough for me to encourage me to buy it again.
Jul 29, 2004 Mild Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable
--Update--

A year later and I still crave this candy once in a great while, though I rarely keep it around at this point. The Hostess Fruit Pie and Yodels of the tobacco world? I often wonder why I've bothered to smoke it, half way through...but I keep going back for more...

And that tin I bought a year ago...still moist... *shiver*

After the many reviews of Frog Morton, I had to give this classic a shot. Ok the Tolkien thing sold me too. Good show McClelland...I don't part easily with my hard or ill gotten cash.

I can see why it is so popular. I have come to think of it as "English Light"? A good break when you don't want drug store sweetness or the punch of the heavier blends.

I love the earthy tones and smell upon opening the can. A bit of muddiness to the texture (twigs and all) and yes, the weird worscester sauce smell. It does conjure up Shire-esque visions though I suspect the hobbits would want something a bit stronger and sweeter (more on Dark Twist later...)

My first smoke of Frog Morton enraptured me. I thought... *This* is it! I was sure I'd cast aside both the drug store brands and the stronger non-aromatics for this as a regular treat. The taste was so completely different than most of the other tobaccos I've tried (which admittedly aren't a whole lot).

The wetness and getting the right amount of drying time frustrated me a bit but I think it has for the most part aired itself out. For the claims of no bite - this little b@*&ard bit me good once or twice...but perhaps it is the new pipe and my relative inexperience with pipes.

Even two weeks later it can still be a bit uncooperative as far as gurgle and relights, but that could also be me. For the most part though it will burn clear to the bottom and leave a decent ash with a bit of persistence. Fantastic white smoke. Lots of it.

I just took about a 1/4 pipefull with me while getting my car lubed. It lasted until I returned 30 minutes later (so much for 10 minute oil changes). Considering I look like a Hell's Angel compared to most of the upscale locals - my smoking this down in a hand-cut freeform bent pipe on a bench outside of the Mr Good Lube must have been a sight.

Is that casing bubble gum? For some weird reason that keeps coming to mind but not in a bad way. I enjoy the casing and the room note. It is very fruity but not at all overbearing. Very little tobacco taste comes through and I don't get a hit/rush off of this (my first bowl of Highland Targe did infact leave me with the feeling that a Highlander had kicked me down the stairs).

It is pleasant and light with the underlay of the English smokiness. I am sure friends would enjoy it around a campfire or dining room and that itself may make it worth keeping some on hand.

I have found that as the smoking of this has continued I have found it to become slightly more boring. Unlike Deep Hollow which I still can pop in and smoke with some excitement.

Frog Morton will likely come into my rotation again - and I do recommend it to those seeking an "English Lite" type mixture, but for now I will probably step onto another tobacco road, and see where my feet (or perhaps tongue and mouth) carry me.
Apr 21, 2002 Medium None Detected Full Pleasant
Froggie is popular with the latakia crowd because it is almost biteless and subdued in its palate sensory projection. If you eat a plate of straight latakia, you might get more in your system than what Froggie delivers in a pipe. The ripe Virginia leaf and delicate and sweet Orientals play just far enough in the background so as not to interfere with the richly rewarding Latakia taste of this specially processed Latakia leaf. A remarkable blend that has been a featured staple in the McClelland's lineup for a long time.
Sep 22, 2003 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Others have commented on this being a hybrid aromatic/english blend. Try as I might, I have a hard time placing this in the aromatic camp. Certainly not at all like Cross-Eyed Cricket (thank goodness) or even Mephisto in that regard. It is a bit sweeter than a traditional english, but not terribly so. I do not understand how it offends in that regard. I had smoked a good deal of FM before I heard it was a closet aromatic, and I never would have guessed. As Granma would say, "and Froggie seemed like such a nice boy...".

The cut makes it easy to handle, and once dried out a bit (OK, quite a bit) it packs and smokes well. The virginias, if that is what they are, are of a fairly dark nature and almost look like brown cavendish.

This blend is mild, especially considering the percentage of dark flakes in the sample that would lead one to believe that this was a latakia-laden blend. Not so. A little disappointing in that regard. the smoke is kind of, well, watery. It does gain in strength near the bottom of the bowl, but also gets kind of steamy, too, even when dried out. Why must McC be so heavy-handed with the moisture? And did you ever wonder why this stuff never molds, being so moist? Cigars certainly do. Humectants must be at play here, or maybe even more insidious chemicals... Hey, what IS that McC katsup smell, anyway?

At any rate, I would have to say that overall I prefer Frog on the Town and Frog on the Bayou to the original Frogmorton, in that these last two hold my interest a bit more than FM. Still, I will always keep FM around. It is like a good friend who's conversation can become tiring after while, but who makes a good occasional companion for old times sake.
Feb 04, 2004 Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable
With all this fuss about Frog Morton on this site I had to go out and get a tin last night. Frankly, I was very frightened by the results.

My first thought when I got to look at the label was, "Geez,..did somebody find this drawing at a craft fair?" I mean--take a look at the label close up. This DOES NOT look like it was drawn by a professional illustrator for the label of a major pipe tobacco manufacturer. It looks more like something you might find hanging in your Grandma's kitchen. Even the type is messed up--I've seen secretaries make better layouts in PowerPoint. In fact, the label is so unbelievably silly looking that after staring at it for a few minutes at Tinderbox I actually felt a little foolish purchasing a tin.

An awkward transaction took place:

"Um, pardon me sales person, but I'll pass on the nice Dunhill tobaccos you've been showing me, instead I'll take the tobacco in the shitty label that looks like it was drawn by a third grader."

"Uh huh yes, the one with the retarded frog on it"

"No, I'm not into Lord of the Rings, Hobbits, or wizards or anything like that. I just want to try the tobacco in the painfully ugly can"

"No, I don't need a Churchwarden pipe to go with it! Please, just put the tin in the bag before somebody sees me."

After rushing from the store, finally free of what was becoming a horrifying exercise in bad taste, I went to my car and relaxed for a few moments. I tentatively poked and sniffed at the innards of the can.

"Hmmm,.. smells like latikia and virginia. Allright, that seems safe enough--can't be too bad I suppose".

Feeling a bit reassured, I packed a pipeful of Frog Morton. It was then that the true inner evil revealed itself. After smoking but half a bowl, I immediately felt the urge to play D&D. Please Lord, help me!

Even worse, I had to fight off the unholy desire to return to Tinderbox and purchase a knobby cane and one of those God-forsaken Danish pipes carved freehand from a hunk of drift wood.

I went home and lay on the couch until the urge passed. Thankfully it did pass, however I know there are many others who get caught up in the Frog Morton web, unable to break free.

Yes, pipes are treacherous business--never doubt it. Those with questionable taste should just stay away. You could end up like one of those crusty old coots polluting the atmosphere with Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla. Or worse, you could end up with the insane desire to place Boris Vallejo "Lady Demon" posters on the wall, watch reruns of Doctor Who, and attend renaissance fairs while dressed as a druid--all while smoking a clay pipe full of Frog Morton and thinking of yourself as "colorfull." (Shudder)
Mar 11, 2014 Mild Extremely Mild Full Pleasant
I just opened a tin of this coded 45702, which I guess makes it 12 years old. Somebody correct me if I've got the age wrong. WELL: no funny smells anymore, no ketchup, Worcestire, nothing but tobacco & CHOCOLATE!!! in the tin. I would have sworn it smelled like Latakia & dark chocolate & the better half agrees. In the pipe, though, it's just tobacco & one of the best lat blends I can remember. The Va's come through now & then, but the smoking characteristics are what's best for me - really RICH flavor, totally smooth, no bite, no acidic aftertaste, almost floral at the top, though pleasantly sweet, smoke drier & richer down the bowl. Twice already I have been surprised by a mouthful of ashes at the bottom, not realizing iot was done. Just wonderful stuff.
Pipe Used: Dunhill pot from 1964 etc
PurchasedFrom: Don't remember
Oct 06, 2015 Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
A mostly black short ribbon tobacco with a smidgeon of golden leaf. The tin note is mostly the Christmas pudding aromas expected of McC Virginias, altho the Lat aroma sits squarely in the mix.

Takes a light beautifully and burns without attention. Produces pillows of creamy smoke. The aromas fill the nose and mouth with soft and sweet notes.

Seems to be mostly a stoved Va blend, which suits me just fine. Might not please the pipester seeking a nicotine hit or the broad mid palate of a burley blend. I found this beautifully weighted for my current tastes if somewhat lacking in complexity. The latakia presence makes it too rich for an all day blend, the premium tobacco price might rule that out as well, but feels like a great late afternoon indulgence with a big mug of builders tea.
Pipe Used: Lepeltier
Jul 07, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
I have a weakness for simple Lat/Va blends. I've liked every one I've tried. If my memory is correct this is the first I've had that uses stoved Virginias and it adds an extra dimension that makes this one stand out. The toasty note really fits in here beautifully. The Latakia is just right, light enough to let the Virginias shine yet heavy enough to do some shining of it's own. Very nicely balanced with plenty of flavor. Burns very well straight from the tin. Most bowls are one match bowls. Sometimes another is required to finish it off. Just a really wonderful smoke.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. I can't detect any added flavoring.
Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
May 28, 2015 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
A dark mixture with a large portion of stoved Virginia. The color of Frog Morton is deceiving and there’s less latakia here than one would think. The flavor is mild, smooth and lightly sweet, and latakia lends a delicate fragrance and a sweet woodsy note to the aroma. Frog Morton should not be confused with traditional English style latakia mixtures; I believe it’s best categorized and judged as a crossover blend. I prefer to think of it as a sugared Virginia gently seasoned with a bit of latakia.

When I smoke it, I treat it like I would an aromatic, going very slow with gentle sips, making a concerted effort to keep it cool. Altogether this is a quality blend that’s pleasant to smoke and it’s easy to understand why it has become so popular. It performs well but does require at least 30 minutes of dry time.

If you fancy a slightly sweeter blend with a touch of spice and a bit more complexity, try Frog Morton on the Town. So far however, when it comes to the Frog blends, I still prefer the mellow, yet smokier subtleties of Frog Morton Across the Pond.
Pipe Used: Briar
Feb 21, 2014 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable
I love Frog Morton the Original because it has that English Taste I love but can be smoked while on the move or doing something else. This blend does not bite or need focusing as it is very forgiving. I have recently been smoking Smokers Haven's Exotique Mixture at night and FM during the day as a 100 gram tin of FM is the same price as a 50 gram tin of Exotique. I love the brown sugar BBQ aroma in the tin and side stream smoke... If you think of this blend as what it is IE: Cavendish and Latakia with a little Virginia and not a Super Balkan or Nightcap then I think you will be happy with FM as an all day English blend that is inexpensive. 🙂
Pipe Used: Wally Frank Pot, Cob, Charatan Canadian
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: One year in the tin
May 10, 2016 Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
McClelland - Frog Morton.

Another blend I received in a trade with Gentleman Zombie. Every time I do a trade with Franck it just reminds me of the great selection of blends available in the U.S.A! From my point of view, this is another one!

The appearance of the blend is very dark: it contains a much higher proportion of Latakia in comparison to the Virginia. The only descriptive word regarding the water content that could be used is Impeccable: not wet, not dry, but ready to smoke. The ribbons are very chunky, I'd say if they were any thicker the blend might pass as being a Broken Flake! The aroma from the tin is absolutely sublime: rich, leathery, and earthy. The second it's lit I feel as though I'm in Utopia:

I love both the texture and flavour of the smoke. Firstly the texture: thick, almost sticky, palpable, and very cool. Secondly, the flavour: Wow, wow, wow; I can see why at present it's the favourite of 48 users (49 once I'm included!). I've not smoked a Latakia-heavy blend anything like this before. Even though the Latakia makes up most of the smoke it's not harsh, nor is it that smoky on the palate: I never realized Latakia could taste so mild! Even though there's more Latakia than Virginia, I get quite a substantial citrus/grass note coming through; combined with the style of Latakia it makes for a brilliantly unique smoke. Although it doesn't have any added flavouring, I'm sure I can taste a black Cavendish-esc vanilla/sweetness. The nicotine's quite mild in this, it would be great to begin the hobby with if you're scared of the stronger Lat' blends.

If Black Cavendish and Latakia were to have a baby, this would be it!

Highly recommended.

Update 09/06/16: this is absolutely superb in a Churchwarden!
Pipe Used: Various
PurchasedFrom: Traded with Gentleman Zombie; he gets the best blends in his country!
Mar 03, 2008 Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant
Update: This blend has grown on me tremendously over the past few months. After ditching cigarettes, my taste buds seem to be able to appreciate this blend without furiously puffing on it, which means there is absolutely no tongue bite associated with this blend. Very few mixtures have NO bite in my book (Old Joe Krantz, Gatlin-Burley, Carter Hall are the others), so that's a big plus here. Also, the taste seems to have improved, putting it at the top of my English rotation. It's nowhere near as complex as Odyssey or rich like Westminster or Penzance, but Frog Morton doesn't try to be like any of those. It's just a straightforward English that's easy to smoke and appreciate. As others have noted, this is perfect as an introduction to Latakia, but I'd go further and say this is also excellent for "experienced" smokers who can still appreciate something simple. My one complaint is that it seems to have close to zero nicotine, but others will probably consider that a plus.

Original review: On the one hand, this tobacco has a wonderful flavor and (for a latakia-based blend) a pretty good aroma. On the other, it's FAR too mild for me. Although this blend seems to be "bite free" for many smokers, I've roasted my tongue on it several times because the flavor is so weak that I end up puffing far too hard in the vain hope of actually getting a full-bodied taste from it. Also, there are far too many humectants (or something) on this leaf -- I've had one tin open for more than three months now and it's still overly moist. To be fair, though, I'll again emphasize how pleasant the taste is. The VAs are top-notch and possess a lot of sweetness, and the latakia is quite smooth. I mixed some FM with some burley and the batch is currently aging. Hopefully, the burley will give this tobacco enough "kick" to be satisfying while preserving something of the original taste. This is probably good for those who are just beginning to sample latakia and/or don't like much in the way of nicotine.
Aug 12, 2006 Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant
Being a huge fan of Tolkien, the name of this one captured my imagination straight away as I sat down in my mind's eye next to Gandalf and Bilbo and lit a relaxing bowl in the cool evening breeze. (Okay, the pipe smoking frog on the tin and the venerable McClelland name helped too.) 😛

Reading the description on the tin, I expected something on the order of a Balkan blend, or at least a medium English rich in Latakia . What I was presented with upon tin opening fragrance and first light was an English/ aromatic crossover. This is the tobacco I expected Iwan Ries 'Three Star Blue' to be like, based on R.C.H's description in 'The Ultimate Pipe Book' which it most certainly is not. That however is another story and review so let's get back to the Frog....

I agree with those who say that this one tastes like it smells in the tin. There's Latakia in there but it is sweetened and takes a back seat to the Cavendish component with which it's blended. Is that chocolate or mocha I taste? I'm convinced it's the latter. I find this blend difficult to keep lit in a way which is similar to Tinder Box's 'Philosopher' which leads me to believe it may have a humectant as well. The ash of the two are almost identical with the tell tale black bits left by incomplete combustion. Bystanders have remarked that it smells good compared to my usual afternoon smoke (Dunhill 965) so a pleasant room note can be expected if that's a consideration for ya.

I don't hate this tobacco by any means but I won't be writing any purple prose about it either. It's just not my cup of tea, or bowl of weede as it were.

Somewhat recommended but it won't be a repeat by this pipier at least.
Mar 24, 2022 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong
The simplest mixture of the Frog Morton series, made up only of Virginia and Latakia, but which provides a rich and pleasant smoke, perfect for pairing with a good whiskey. There is not much complexity in this mixture and in my opinion, it does not need it either. Four solid stars.
Age When Smoked: Old
Aug 08, 2018 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
At the time of my writing this, I've smoked 24 different blends, and the flavors found in Frog Morton are quite unique compared to everything else I've smoked. I get it now, when people refer to the ketchup-like smell of McClelland blends. At times it seems like ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, or sometimes soy. Anyway, the taste is pleasant, and the room note is pleasant as well. It burns fairly cool.

I expected to taste more latakia, considering how much dark leaf there is in the blend. I guess a good portion of this dark leaf is what people call stoved virginias? IDK. Anywhow, the latakia is very subuded. This is not a complex blend - the taste is pretty consistent from start to finish.

I found that I enjoy Frog Morton more in a pipe with a smaller chamber, such as my Peterson 999, or a Missouri Meerschaum Legend.

I've come across many on the internet who have recommended this for beginning pipe smokers, or for those who are new to nonaromatics. I can understand recommending this to the experienced pipe smoker who is new to nonaromatics, but I'd be hard pressed to recommend this to a new pipe smoker. The thing is, no matter how easy going the taste is, and no matter the fact that it doesn't bite, the cut used makes it hard to get a good pack IMO. Even worse, this stuff is very moist out of the can, and I had a really hard time trying to find a sweet spot, moisture-wise. With 10 minutes or less of dry time, smoking Frog Morton was an exercise in frustration. I experimented with drying it for 15, 20, 30 minutes, and even an hour. It always seemed like it needed more dry time. Then at one point I ended up leaving the jar open for a couple hours - but that had the opposite effect of a thin, dry, tasteless smoke - then I had to re-hydrate. If I'd had this suggested to me as a brand new pipe smoker, and had to fuss over the tobacco this much, I could see someone getting frustrated and giving up. Be that as it may, this is a moot point now, since McClelland closed up earlier this year. Finding their blends now requires a willingness to pay +4x retail value, lots of luck, or having good connections.

Considering that I started pipe smoking about a month after McClelland closed, I'm glad I had the opportunity to smoke a tin of Frog Morton and experience it for myself, rather than be frustrated for feeling like I missed out. While I did enjoy the blend, it's not a blend that I feel particularly sad about not being able to buy - there's lots of other stuff I've smoked that I enjoy as much and more.
Pipe Used: Various briars & cobs
Age When Smoked: unknown
Nov 11, 2017 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
This is my first blend from the line.the way the frog smokes in the tin appearance prepares you for an all day english blend and after trying this one out i agree!when the can opens a nice smell combined from smokey and sour notes comes out.the blend is mostly dark with some bright virginias present.the moisture is a bit more than proper so some drying time is needed.packing is easy and lighting needs some effort.several relights are needed.while burning the flavours are clear,natural and pleasing as the description promises.latakia are the main player giving smokey notes,coals,woodsy notes all these in a sweet mix.virginias support the flavours with some dark fruits,grassy and sour notes.the flavours are very balanced and rich.burns cool and slow with some moisture being created at the end of the bowl.the nicotine level is low making it an easy blend to smoke during the day but not a proper one before going to bed.the room note is tolerable for the wifes who can tolerate latakia!no chance of tongue bite.i wanna notice that this is my first Va/latakia blend and the luck of orientals gave a different dimention to the flavours.in conclusion this is an all day blend simple and rich,and a good one to enter the latakia world.the nicotine level could be a bit higher and still it would be an all day blend.
Age When Smoked: Dried out for 30 mins.
Nov 03, 2017 Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Lots of 4 stars or 2 stars reviews here. Let's write one more 2 stars review. Great smell from the tin. Very dark in color, chunky, with some slender brown streaks. Will stay moist forever, but smokes well regardless of the fact it is sticky and wet. On first light, one gets a whiff of Latakia, then it's all gone. I suspect that the virginia in this blend has been cavendish-ed. This blend has no tang, no body, no structure, no high or low notes. It has that typically sweet-ish cavendish note, which always reminds me of sweetened milk or wet cardboard (not that i ever actually ate wet cardboard...), slightly maple-ish at its best, but overall very mild and very... bland. Nothing citrus-y, fruity, spicy or truly sweet. The latakia CAN be tasted, or imagined, if you puff very hard, actually i like this tobacco better when abused, some woody / sawdust-y notes can sometimes be coaxed out of the Frog. It is an innocuous tobacco, it doesnt bite, it will burn quite well regardless of packing, will never get harsh. But it just doesnt offer much. I like the tin art. And am amused by the fact some people actually criticize said tin art, as if Frog Morton could truly be taken seriously as a tobacco... It is, at best, the proverbial all day smoke.
Pipe Used: Many
PurchasedFrom: Tully's (Well's Beach)
Nov 11, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The simplest way to put it for this blend is that it's Frog Morton's Cellar without the "cellar" -- ie. without the whiskey note.

Tin note gives a nice, smokey smell of latakia and that is what you taste when you smoke it. Not harsh at all. Some might find it too mild I suppose, but frankly, as one not looking to be punched in the throat by a blend, while also not wanting the "hot air" feeling that comes with some tobaccos, this one is quite pleasant.

While FMC is "smokey-sweet" this is mainly smokey with some subtle flavours from the other tobaccos in the blend.

Good solid blend. FMC is my top choice, but if anything every happened to that blend, I'd go with this one as a replacement.

target="_blank"