Sutliff Tobacco Company Tobacco Galleria - Fox & Hound

(2.04)
A traditional smoke for the discriminating English smoker, this mix of red Virginia, Turkish, burley, latakia and perique is of medium strength and guaranteed to please.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.04 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 60 of 70 Reviews
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Aug 27, 2012 Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
This tobacco reminds me of church incense wrestling with tobacco. It's not awful. But, there are better tobaccos out there. I think Tobacco Galleria missed the mark on this one.
Jun 28, 2011 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable
I haven't smoke tobacco out of a pouch for about an year and at that time was because I got it as bonus on an order. Same thing for this tobacco also. Typical US made Latakia taste, like I found in Spillman or Merde De Cheval, but quite different from what you get from Cornell&Diehl or G.L.Pease. It's that taste of wet hay which I like sometimes, but here is milder and strange, it made me think a little of chemicals or something. Reasonable taste but a little bland. It is something that I will not buy, but If I have no problem smoking it as a bonus. If you need your nicotine you can resort to this one, but if you need tobacco this is just a waste of it.
Jun 18, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Fox and Hound to me has a fairly typical American-English blend taste and smell. The latakia is tasteable but not overpoweringly so, nor are any of the other components. And, for the first half of the bowl at least, you can taste them all. Past halfway, they all start to muddle and the burley bitter starts to take over more. I wouldn't call this blend exactly full strength either on taste or nicotine content but I would'nt describe it as weak either. This middling characteristic and cheaper price combine to make it a good intro to English blends, and a good all-day smoke...that's my take on it at least.

Now a word to the wise: If you go to buy this, I rather recommend getting the 1.5 ounce pouch rather than buying bulk quantity. Why? I found the pouches to be of higher quality, and better taste. See, after smoking thru several pouches over the past year without any complaints, I decided to buy a half-pound. The half-pound had quite a bit of humectant in it that pretty much ruined the taste I was used to. Thanks Altadis. Won't be doing that again.

All in all, Fox and Hound ain't bad stuff, in fact it's probably a leap ahead of anything you'd likely find at the dime store. Just stick with the 1.5 oz pouches.

UPDATE , 23 June... Man I've had this half-pound airing out for over a week now and its still just disgusting. I'm taking back one of my stars.
Mar 19, 2011 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
Not the best English. Not my favorite. If you need the vitamin N and don't have a lot of cash then be my guest. I first smoked it in a cob and it definately did the trick. Not bad...a little chemical taste. Overall...bareable.
Feb 22, 2010 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Strong
Got this one from my sister, who had received a pouch for free when she bought hookah tobacco for her boyfriend.

Right out of the bag, it smells sour and slightly sweet (sweet shouldn't ever be my first impression of how an english tobacco smells, in my opinion). It packs well, and I loaded it up in an old pipe to make sure that I didn't ruin a good one. In retrospect, this is a good idea.

As I started into the bag I had an immediate impression of the taste and smell of dirty, burning hair (I assume that this is the hair of foxes and hounds), and if this was what the manufacturers were going for they really hit the nail on the head. After this, I was assaulted by chemicals. These are just mild undertones, mind you, as the whole blend is very bland. I can only compare it to "sherlock's choice," although that doesn't have any chemical flavoring either, it's just very bland. I briefly considered taking the two ounces of that I have left and two ounces or so of this and blending them together with whiskey to see what I got, but I'd rather not really use this in any capacity.

Despite the fact that I smoked this in a filter pipe, I still managed to get a few drops of nasty, nasty tobacco juice on my tongue. How this happened, I have no idea. I was not puffing very hard, and the only thing I can think is that it soaked right through the filter (an impressive feat).

I was not able to finish the bowl, and I came out of the whole experience slightly depressed to see such great and prized tobaccos misused this way. I would actually pay someone to take this off my hands, rather than feel guilty later about throwing away latakia and perique.
Feb 08, 2010 Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong
hated it at first but tried again and found it o.k. Friends hated the smell when I lit it up. They have gotten used to it but would not smoke it themselves. A good once in a while smoke or too annoy others for fun. Kinda smells like fox and hound urine.
Oct 25, 2009 Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong
This has to be one of the worst English blends I have ever tried. I am happy that this one was a gift as it ended up in the trash. The stuff burnt the crap out of my tounge. I am glad that I never have to smoke the stuff again.
Sep 14, 2009 Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong
This tobacco was bought at a local brick and mortar under the name Cornish Blend. The presentation was nice. It packed well in a 9mm Bjarne Viking. The taste was middle of the road English. It burned well with no bite, but had a harsh chemical smell. Burned my nose and throat.

I think I will stick with some of the more natural tasting blends in the future. Regardless of the price. F&H was very affordable.
Feb 14, 2009 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong
Cheap tobacco. OK as an OTC blend in a pinch but not much more.
Feb 04, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
First thoughts on opening the pouch: it smells warm, full, almost a flowery smell of Virginia but much less sharp. I didn't expect this from pouch tobacco. Upon lighting, you can tell that the label is not lying: it does contain Perique (whether this is the "real thing" from Louisiana or not, I don't know) and Turkish tobaccos; these are the most loud to me in the mixture and they create a nice blend. The perique offsets the other tobaccos enough to lower your chance of tongue bite. The burley in the mixture is also well pronounced; as it burns fairly quickly, this mixture should be smoked slowly. It does have a light topping on it that is hard to pin down, but it does leave your pipe slightly moist. I don't think I would describe this as an English blend, I would probably describe it as a burley blend because of its minimal Latakia content. The first time I smoked it the only thing it made me think of was a hotel room. This is strange, but if the taste of potpourri used in hotel rooms was blended into a mild tobacco, it would taste like this. The smoke is non-offensive. Would I buy it again? Yes. But since it isn't an all-time favourite I can't quite give it four stars.

EDIT: Downgrade to two stars. As this tobacco becomes more dry, it becomes very apparent that the 'topping' I experienced before is not a topping at all, but just pure propylene glycol to extend the shelf-life of the tobacco. When the tobacco dries, this chemical taste becomes overwhelming so that it is not smokable, ghosts your pipe to taste like it, and leaves a film on the inside of your mouth. This would be a fantastic blend if this chemical used to deliver flavourings was left off? there is no point in its being in this blend and it detracts from the natural flavours of the tobaccos.
Feb 01, 2009 Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Nice mild English, though I prefer greater strength in my smoke. This lit well and burned well too. I wasn't able to detect any humectant in the taste of this blend but did feel the characteristic stickiness when running my fingers through it. The perique seemed to get lost, the turkish wasn't noticeable either. I tasted a mild latakia blend with some burley to round it out.
Dec 27, 2008 Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
They sure got the name right on this one because it taste exactly like what a fox or hound would leave on the ground after relieving himself.This is the nastiest tasting tobacco I have ever tried.Reminds me of a non-filtered Chesterfield cigarette.
Dec 17, 2008 Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Had a pouch of Fox and hound come in the mail as a sample. Being an aromatic guy I got nose of the bag and recalled the time many years ago I had a mouth full of the Oriental and Baltic smoke before I knew better and swore it off. Still they were good enough to send it so I would be good enough to try it and I like the stuff. It's light enough on the English spectrum not to be a turn off for the bystander or difficult to smoke and has enough complexity over the aromatic to really be a nice break from the usual one trick pony. A nice option from a druggist type tobacco that finally prompted me to dedicate a pipe to a specific type of tobacco. [UPDATE] Having tried this and really fallen in love with the oriental English blend I went out and found something else. After some time with Squadron Leader in my pipe I decided to again try the Fox and Hound. Yucky, it's like White Owl, or Dutch Treat cigar in my pipe tobacco. There is a chemical taste and bitterness. I would advise to abandon ship, however and as the saying goes I got what I paid for.
Dec 01, 2008 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
I too recieved a pouch of this as a sample in the mail. Oddly enough and perhaps because I'm a relatively new-ish pipe smoker, I absolutely love the pouch/tin aroma of nearly any English blend as I also enjoy a strong, peaty dram of single malt and the smell of a campfire, but the taste of English tobac can sometimes be a bit disagreable to me. Again, from my minor bit of experience, it seems that Fox & Hound is a more mellow (more "affordable") version of similar styles. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed the smoke? The pouch aroma has a pleasant, woody, smoky and musty sort of thing going on. The first bowl's worth required a bit of drying, but lit just fine for me with a couple of relights.

There's a quick bit of lingering sweetness from the Virginias and a nice woody smokiness from the Latakia. All in all a decent experience. My palette has yet to discern much else, or perhaps there's not much else to describe. Not the best of the English blends I've tried, but far from the worst.
Nov 07, 2008 Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable
This tobacco is a decent smoke, if you like the smell of Latakia in the pouch. I love the taste of latakia (so much so that Penzance is my favorite non-aromatic) but I can't stand the smell in the pouch/tin. A decent low-cost non aromatic.
Apr 25, 2008 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This would make a decent middle of the road strength English, but as with all Altadis blends, it has been ruined by the humectant applied to it.
Mar 13, 2008 Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong
One of the first tobaccos I tried, and never tried it again. I found it far too bitter and smokey tasting, like smoking dried wood. The aftertaste was a bit more than I could stand, and the room note was awful- it ran everyone out of the room. I felt a bit nausiated after smoking it and I didn't even inhale- perhaps it was the cheap cigar/generic full-flavored cigarette-like taste. Too much latakia in this mixture for me. Not recommended.
Dec 04, 2007 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
This tobacco could be a lot better than it is. All of the components are there for a great blend but the balance is poor. The latakia is probably the closest thing to being correct, but the Perique is almost undetectable. I also wish that this blend had some more Turkish and a bit less burly. What I will say that this is probably a good "starter" English, it is cool burning and relatively mild. The tobacco burns evenly and with no surprises (good or bad). I tend to like this blend if you add a bit of McClelland's blending Perique and Oriental in small quantities.
May 30, 2007 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
Slightly bitter taste with aroma of burnt wood. Dumped the rest of this one in a big jar in the garage. I call that blend Cast Off. This blend is destined for a future camp fire, dumping the whole jar in the fire, that is :} .
Feb 06, 2007 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
Its good, its dependable and its nice to find a low price tobacco that is this good. Well it does have some sort of pg casing on it, but has no artificial flavoring.

Its nice and woodsy but with age has turned a little sharper but sweeter virginia taste.

target="_blank"