Sutliff Tobacco Company Tobacco Galleria - Fox & Hound

(2.04)
A traditional smoke for the discriminating English smoker, this mix of red Virginia, Turkish, burley, latakia and perique is of medium strength and guaranteed to please.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.04 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 Reviews
May 17, 2010 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
I purchased this about a month ago and gave it a try today. This is a very light to medium bodied mixture to me. It is very light on the Latakia so those of us who really want a Latakia backbone, eh they might be disappointed. It has a lot of moisture in the pouch; not so much that it won't stay lit, but enough to make large clouds of smoke. It has a very creamy yet sweet and spicy aroma to it which can be annoying to those of us who like more full bodied English blends. Some people will not like the aroma as I found out tonight, but hey I'm not smoking to make others happy. This is an excellent blend for Aromatic fans seeking to venture into English blends or for a lighter English blend for all day smoking. Oh, it does have a high amount of nicotine so be careful; it might knock your socks off if you don't watch it. I highly recommend this blend as a light to medium bodied English blend with no bite.
Feb 02, 2017 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I am really surprised at the average review. Many reviewers mention having received it as part of samplers. Thus I wonder if there may have been an issue with a bad batch. I also have smoked it only the bulk format, so I cannot give an opinion about the pouch version.

I have been smoking F&H for many years (I am 50 now) and find that, as with any other tobacco, there are always consistency issues, as you can expect from any natural crop product. Non-aromatics are also more prone to them, as processing, casing and flavorings help to standardize flavor and aroma.

This taken into account, F&H has done fairly well across the years in that department. Particularly for a non-aromatic bulk mixture of quite the number of varieties. And you may like it better or worse (from other review: yes, probably not the first balkan-like mixture to try, if you are used only to aromatics), but you cannot say that it is not a good mixture. As another reviewer suggested, maybe it is an acquired taste.

Now for the review itself: F&H is basically a balkan style + perique mixture, and a rather good one at that. If I had to compare it to a better known, maybe more reputable one, I would go for Frog Morton on the Bayou (OTB), which is currently getting a 3.2 average score, as opposed to the 2.0 for F&H.

Well, in that comparison I place F&H above the more expensive and praised Frog Morton OTB. Do not get me wrong, the latter is a really good, well thought and done mixture. Only, I think that if you put together a mixture with orientals plus another four or five varieties, it is not a bad idea making it so that you can taste most of them, and not only, let's say, the Latakia or perique. Frog Morton OTB has a bit more of the latter than F&H, overpowering the remaining varieties, particularly the orientals, which you can taste much more in F&H. Both OTB and F&H have just enough Latakia to taste it without overpowering the remaining tobaccos. I think the longer, less homogeneous ribbon of F&H also helps to better taste each of its components, in a more complex experience.

Bottom line: I think that in terms of quality, F&H is at least a three. A very good alternative if you like Perique and orientals and want to be able to taste both. Burns well and dry, leaving little residue behind, and is smooth enough to be an all day smoke. Then, you can score higher or lower above that depending on your personal tastes. I am giving it a 4 (OK, probably way too high but maybe a bit to compensate some of the awful reviews)
Pipe Used: several briars
Apr 13, 2009 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
Fox and Hound is what it is. A medium English blend, typical aroma and affordable. It stays lit with a little tending, must be lightly sipped, heavy puffing will rip the hide off your tounge. UNIFORMITY: in the pouch, from first light to last puff, from the first bowl to the last of the pouch even though it took me several weeks to finish the pouch. I look for consistency if I am going to purchase more of a blend and this has it. It is my choice for a change-of-pace since I prefer light aeromatics. I picked up my first pipe over 40 yeas ago and this tobac has a place in my rotation.
Apr 16, 2005 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Fox and Hound is remenicent of Middletons Walnut in that, its flavor is between mild and medium. This blend is smooth. I was pleasently surprised with the pouch of this bulk blend since the Red VA, Turkish and Latakia is excellent quality. The leaf is on the dry side, but it packs easy and burns even and clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It also has a surprisingly complex flavor.

While veteran smokers of Latakia blends will most likely find it really mild, this blend is great for an introduction to latakia. With its quality of leaf at such a great price, I have to give it 4 stars, with the understanding I do so as a "starter" blend for those wishing to experience Latakia for the first time without being overwhealmed by it.

target="_blank"