Sutliff Tobacco Company Tobacco Galleria - Fox & Hound

(2.04)
A traditional smoke for the discriminating English smoker, this mix of red Virginia, Turkish, burley, latakia and perique is of medium strength and guaranteed to please.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.04 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 40 of 70 Reviews
Feb 07, 2011 Mild Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong
What can I say? I wanted to try an english blend and this happend to be the first and only one that I've tried. It has a very noticeable PG coating and taste. So that alone turns me off of this one. But for those of you who don't mind the chemical taste go for it.
Pipe Used: briar
Jul 31, 2010 Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I was pleasantly surprised to find such quality tobacco from a drugstore brand and for such a great price. It tastes a little like Rattray's Red Raparee, which cost more than twice as much and is one of my very favorite tobaccos. My wife and I both like the roomnote. I did find that this blend boars on my taste buds after a while. It became a little overbearing to smoke a lot. I would recommend this as an occasional smoke for those who like latakia and perique at the same time. It can be a little much if smoked too frequently.
Mar 28, 2010 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable
Upon recommendation from a local tobacconist, I tried this as he swore this would be a comparable English to what I was used to smoking. Well, after purchasing 2 oz. and smoking a few bowls, all I can say is it was a disappointment. It had far less flavor than anything I've smoked. Medium strength it was not either. Needless to say this tobacco became a "gift" to a friend. I'm just glad he got more enjoyment from it than I did. At least it was not a total waste.
Mar 12, 2010 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong
Received in a sampler pack. Altadis has a consistency problem with their blending in my humble opinion. I see this in the reviews, like Forrest Gump might say "Altadis tobacco is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get". With this one, the hound bit me and the sly fox eluded me. Other reviews I have seen on this one seem to like it, they might have received a good batch, mine tasted like old leather shoes dunked in rancid fish and chips oil. English, yes, like drinking, Thames river water!
Mar 03, 2010 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
So...I receive this in a sampler pack (with two other tobaccos) from Altadis, and I immediately notice that this is the only one that isn't an aromatic. Naturally, this is the one that I fill my bowl with.

Out of the pouch, it smells sweet, with an undercurrent of wood smoke. Very pleasant. The tobacco is moist, but not so much that gurgling occurs while smoking. Lighting is easy, as is the first draw. And that's where it all goes south.

All I can taste is propylene glycol. It's absolutely overwhelming. And it's a damnable shame. This could be a terrific smoke, and I'm at a loss to understand how Altadis feels that more of this blend will sell over time with the horrible preservative flavor, then in a shorter amount of time without it.

I'm saddened and frustrated. I love Red Virginia, and I'm a solid fan of Perique and Burley. I'm even developing a taste for Latakia. This is a blend I so desperately want to try...if only I could actually taste it.

Altadis, I beg you: give us a 'companion' pouch without the preservative. These fine tobaccos, and your customers, deserve it. That, or replace the actual tobacco with much cheaper pencil shavings and sawdust and really increase your profit margin, as smokers will never be able to tell the difference. As it stands now, I'm marking Fox & Hound 'avoid at all costs.'
Dec 16, 2009 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I am a relatively new pipe smoker ( August 7th, 2009 was my first pipe and I had some kind of nougat blend) and I have fairly recently attempted to branch out towards English blends. I love a good aromatic, but considering that I live in the middle of nowhere, this little gold and green pouch was really all i could get my hands on.

It has definitely become one of my favorite. I have not eperienced much tongue bite with this one at all. It is not a very strong blend, which helps it in being an everyday smoke, and the room note is has pleasant subtle sweetness to it. I recommend it for those who either want something not so strong but tasty and for those who are trying Englishes for the first time. Cheers!
Oct 12, 2009 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A cheap version of one of those Revelation-style kitchen sink blends. C & D Bridge Mixture is a better example of this style, as I am sure original Revelation itself was, though I have never tried it. I got this for free in an internet promo, and since I don't think it is too bad, can't complain too much. The first half of the bowl is better than the second-there is something artificial here that rears its ugly head more and more as the pipe progresses, until towards the end it actually hisses (or snaps, crackles, and pops) at you. I can smoke it, though. The beginning of the bowl was pretty good, and I thought it would be a decent off-English blend for the price, but there is an additive-wearing monster lurking beneath. He is not so scary, however, as to render the blend unsmokeable.
Apr 13, 2009 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
Fox and Hound is what it is. A medium English blend, typical aroma and affordable. It stays lit with a little tending, must be lightly sipped, heavy puffing will rip the hide off your tounge. UNIFORMITY: in the pouch, from first light to last puff, from the first bowl to the last of the pouch even though it took me several weeks to finish the pouch. I look for consistency if I am going to purchase more of a blend and this has it. It is my choice for a change-of-pace since I prefer light aeromatics. I picked up my first pipe over 40 yeas ago and this tobac has a place in my rotation.
Apr 02, 2009 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
I recieved this in a sample pack from Altadis along with 2 other of their blends. I happened to like this one very much. Opening the pouch, I was greeted with the aroma of Latakia - just right for my liking. There was no topping that I could detect. The tobacco was very fresh and springy; by no means wet. It lit very well and stayed lit without a problem. There was no moisture production and no bite. The predominant taste was of Latakia and Turkish, the Turkish adding just the right amount of sweetness to this blend. I didn't actually taste any of the Virginia or Perique, but they may have contributed to the mild spiciness I felt on my lips from time to time. The Burley came through as a firm base that added substance to the overall smoking experience, and the overall taste was consistent throughout.

I'm not a huge fan of Latakia, but enjoy it on occasion. I usually smoke Brindley's Mixture when I want some Latakia, but Fox and Hound will replace it in that venue as it is a bit sweeter tasting for me, which I enjoy. If there was any flavoring added, I couldn't detect it - except for a very mild (and I mean very mild) sense of menthol, and not continuously. I thought this might be the Turkish I was experiencing, but I honestly don't know. I rated the room note as pleasant as I do like the aroma of Latakia and Turkish in a burning pipe. I detected no chemical taste whatsoever, nor was there any left over dottle or goop in the heel of my pipe - a Tinderbox poker that is 30 years old and reserved for Latakia/Turkish smokes. Even though I don't smoke this type of blend on a regular basis, I still rate it 3 stars for what it is - an American/English style pipe tobacco, mild to medium across the board. An enjoyable experience.
Oct 16, 2008 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I usually associate Altadis with cigars and aromatic bulk tobaccos, neither of which especially appeal to me. This blend surprised me, especially after reading some of the negative reviews.

Upon opening the pouch, I was greeted with the aroma of a typical light to medium English blend. The tobacco was not 'wet'; in fact, I stuffed a large bent billiard, lit up once, and smoked it for about 40-45 minutes (okay, it was a very large bent billiard), with no re-lighting required. No soapiness, no sharp stab of Perique (it's there, it's noticable, but it's well-behaved), no goopiness, no tongue-bite/bitterness, nothing but an enjoyable smoke. The nutty burley is there, too, but not strong enough to overpower the other components of this well-balanced (to me, anyway) blend. In fact, two-thirds through the bowl, the taste to me was of sweet VA and that spicey Turkish stuff. I could go for a bit more Latakia in the mix, but that's no reason not to try this blend that, IMHO, Altadis certainly got right.
Sep 09, 2008 Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant
5/30/08 I've tried several Altadis blends, and to me, this is pretty much the only one I've liked so far. Other reviewers have said that they don't taste too much of the Perique, but the batch I got, has a bunch of it. I'm not a fan of Perique, and I would really like to try this blend without it. If Altadis makes something like this without the Perique, someone out there let me know. Overall, not a bad offering from Altadis, and a good intro to the milder English blends...

8/9/08 I'm into about my 4th pouch of this stuff, and I have to say that it really grows on you. As a less expensive English blend, it is a great all day smoke...
May 10, 2006 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
In my opinion, this was the best of the bunch in the Altadis sampler. And in that respect, my rating compares primarily to the other included blends, most of which were coated in unmentionable vats of casings.

I suppose that's why I found comfort in this blend; it was something familiar to what I normally smoke. Fox & Hound has that discernible Latakia odor upon smelling a fresh envelope. When lit, it behaves like a mild English. Everything appears in a balanced proportion, no single constituent dominating another. Supposedly there's Perique added to the mix, though it's lost on me.

I do detect a slight aftertaste, which leads me to believe there is a topping, similar to Old Dog, in that regard. It fades rather quickly, but does taint the smoking, which is probably my only complaint.

With such a flood of English mixtures already upon the market, I'd likely pass up another serving. Though I'll certainly find time to finish what I've got, and I can't say the same for the many other Altadis blends sitting in the box.

Three of Four.
Apr 21, 2006 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I received this, along with a large assortment of other blends, in a sampler from Altadis. I am in agreement with the previous reviewer that this is an innocuous, English style blend.

Other reviews have compared this to Walnut but, since I have not smoked that for many years, I can't really comment.

I will say that this is a decent light English, with a bit too much PG, it lights well enough and does not leave much gunk in the bowl.

I realize I am damning the blend with faint praise, but I do prefer this to most drugstore tobacco and it is pleasent enough for an introduction to English style tobaccos.
Mar 18, 2006 Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable
A shop nearby sells this, and all of the other Tobacco Galleria blends.

This smelled strong in the jar, but when smoked, proved to be a decent,mild, American-English blend. It reminds me of an untopped version of Barking Dog. I can't taste the Turkish in this at all. Not bad at all...
Mar 10, 2006 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
Probably a good English type for a beginner. Not very balanced, too much of the Latakia taste for me. Perfect moisture content as received and burns very well. Bite free if you take it slowly. Three stars in the Drugstore English category.
Nov 14, 2005 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Usually light English mixtures burn too hot for me but not this one. So I like F&H better than Walnut, which it resembles.

This is quite tasty and all the traditional English elements are here, just like it says on the package, except in such small quantities that you have to do tongue-detective work to find them. However the result is, for me, not bland at all, but very pleasant and cool.

Extremely easy to smoke, I cannot imagine a better introduction to English blends for the new piper. Or a good hot weather morning smoke for the more experienced.
Apr 16, 2005 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Fox and Hound is remenicent of Middletons Walnut in that, its flavor is between mild and medium. This blend is smooth. I was pleasently surprised with the pouch of this bulk blend since the Red VA, Turkish and Latakia is excellent quality. The leaf is on the dry side, but it packs easy and burns even and clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It also has a surprisingly complex flavor.

While veteran smokers of Latakia blends will most likely find it really mild, this blend is great for an introduction to latakia. With its quality of leaf at such a great price, I have to give it 4 stars, with the understanding I do so as a "starter" blend for those wishing to experience Latakia for the first time without being overwhealmed by it.
Sep 03, 2004 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I got a sample of this tobacco in a box pass and was anxious to try it after reading the reviews on this page. I usually enjoy medium English blends.

There is a lot to like in Fox and Hounds. It tastes only of tobacco and stays very cool. It was a fairly dry smoke, as well, though the tobacco was not particularly dry in the pouch. My only objection was that there were definite cigar notes in the taste about two-thirds of the way through the bowl when it began to gain a little in strength. If you like the taste of a cigar this may be welcome to you; for me it was not.
Jul 23, 2004 Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant
I, too, received a pound of this. (Thank you Altadis!) Now I am looking for someone to give it to.

There is nothing wrong with it! It is just way too mild for me. It smells great in the bag, and it smells good when lit. But I cannot taste it. I have burned my tongue from puffing too hard to try to get flavor.

IF you like a mild tobacco, this will probably be a delight. It just doesn't work for me.
Dec 12, 2021 Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
While grabbing a tin of tobacco at my local smoke shop I noticed a pouch of this stuff and impulse-bought it. I've basically sworn off aromatics, but I don't have any English blends around, so I decided to give this a try. The price tag was attractive, it was only around ten dollars; but sadly, it's far worse than some $5 blends I've tried.

Pouch note is ketchup mixed with mustard, or maybe figs and ammonia, I can't decide. It's at once disgusting and intriguing.

Straight out of the pouch it's very wet and I had trouble lighting it and keeping it lit. Like most pouch tobaccos this one seems PG heavy, so it will require a lot of drying time unless you really like tongue bite. The cut itself is fine and easy to pack, it's sort of like a thicker ribbon cut.

I had expected this blend to taste like Englishes I've had in the past, but really it only tastes of mild burley. Mostly I couldn't even tell if there was latakia, perique, turkish, or even virgina; but rarely the flavor would transform and become palatable for a few moments. At that point it tastes sort of like a really awkward and coarse version of Fusilier's Ration: Peppery, leathery, sweet, and like red wine. Too bad it just goes back to tasting like burley. If the bowl gets too hot this blend tastes like the pouch note: Vinegar, ketchup, and mustard. Gross.

Overall I found this blend to be tedious and disappointing. I recommend getting something like Fusilier's Ration, which is almost like the genre that this blend is attempting.

Pipe Used: Crown Manola Sandblast 608