BrandDunhill
Strength
Taste

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (41)

Saw this and had to pick it up if there was any chance at all they used any of the same Virginias in this blend as they do in my beloved Dunhill Flake. I cracked the tin and was delighted to find the aroma was that of rich bready Virginia tobaccos with just a hint of...something else. I learned later that this something else was a portion of Oriental tobaccos. The oriental in this is extremely subdued. Many won't notice it's there. And it serves the same purpose in this blend as a touch of Burley does in many other Virginia blends; which is to add a little more depth and dimension to the smoke. Unlike the description for the old discontinued version of this, it is decidedly nowhere near what one could call an "aromatic".

The moisture level is spot on. It is clearly a rubbed out flake and forms delicious looking ribbons with the odd glob of flake here and there. Packing was a breeze and it burned well with no relights required.

My inaugural smoke was good but nothing to blow your socks off. I set it aside. A week later I noticed the tin sitting there and decided to try another bowl. This time, I WAS BLOWN AWAY. It was one of these smokes that pipe smokers live for. It was exceptional. The smoke was sweet, grassy, and yeasty, with deep richness that was most satisfying, aside from the fact that I was almost immediately craving another bowl after I finished. To make sure I wasn't imagining things, I have since repeated this experience several times in a row. It is indeed a 4 star blend and an excellent companion to it's brother, Dunhill Flake.

Like all quality Virginas, slow and steady wins the race. Keep your smoking cadence just fast enough to keep it burning. Any faster and it may disappoint you. I will be stocking up on this to be sure. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Peterson X105 billiard

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake City, UT

JimInks (2042)

The cavendish style Virginias are a little grassy, slightly bready and earthy with some citrus and honey, and dominate the blend. The Orientals are far in the background, offering just a little smoke and wood in every puff. The burley is toasty, slightly nutty, earthy sweet, and not always noticeable as it mostly underlines the taste when it shows up. The fruit topping reminds me a little of citrus and apricot, and doesn’t sublimate the tobaccos much. The nic-hit is mild. Well blended with a fairly consistent, smooth, cool and clean flavor, it burns well and hardly requires relights. Easily burns to ash with no dull or harsh spots. Leaves virtually no dampness in the bowl. The aftertaste is pleasant, though short lived. A comfortable all day smoke.

This tin was a gift from another priest in the diocese. He said he was at the tobacconist and thought I might like this. He was right.

The tin note is slightly sweet and grassy. There is maybe a whiff of bread and a little something else that I suspect is the oriental leaf. It is mostly rubbed out thin ribbon with a few hunks of flake. Moisture level is very good from the tin.

Smoked, it is a Virginia forward blend - a little sweet and maybe a touch of citrus and grass. I taste some nutty burley giving it some depth and fullness. The orientals are a light touch, and present as a savory. There is a mild honey - maybe honeysuckle that is either the presentation of the Virginia/oriental or some topping. I am going with the topping.

I have smoked this in a variety of pipes and every smoke has been excellent. There is not a lot of "wow," but it is consistent and a great smoke. It packed easily and was easy to keep lit. It burned to the bottom every time and did not get ashy.

This is a great blend, and I have really enjoyed it. I think it rises to the "everyone should try" 4 in the ratings. It is a great example of a masterful blend that satisfies and could be smoked all day without boring (me anyway).

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Tonight at pipe club they had the new re-release of Dunhill Ready rub in the tin. It was the early pre-release. It is in a round tin. I chuckled as I was expecting the square tin. It is a very light Virgina blend. Very much like I remember. Sweet smell on opening. Packed very easy. Fast char. Relight and smoked in 1 hour 20 minutes. Drank a Dr. Pepper. Very light taste here.

Pipe Used: yellow bole chesterfield

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

Purchased From: Amistads Pipe and Cigar

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is nice, reminds me of a quality step up from Orlik's Golden Sliced Red. I don't get as much Orange flavor , it's much more subtle in the RR. The cut is slightly more of a broken flake rather than the typical Dunhill ribbon. the Turkish just comes along for the ride providing some base , but it's the Virginias that are naturally sweet and out-front . The Orientals is used with a very light hand giving some slight sour/ fruity interest.

I tried this back to back with Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture and the EM is definitely more of a VaPer than the Ready Rubbed To me the RR smokes more like a Virginia.

I've never tried the original RR , but this new release is nice. I really don't understand all the mediocre review ratings , maybe too much comparing and not enough accepting ?

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new tin open one week

Similar Blends: better Orlik Golden Sliced Red.

I actually think Orlik did a better job with RR's re-release than the Murray's version. With the Murrays, I could detect very little casing and a mostly "tobacco" taste, which I appreciated. The blend smoked very cool, and I detected what I sure thought to be the taste of cigar leaf mixed in there with the Virginians and whatever else Dunhill tossed in. The Orlik version has a more Virginia flavor at the forefront and the misted topping was done with great discretion. The Murray's era topping was almost like a background of honey and almonds while the re-release has no added flavoring that I could detect. A good smoke!

Chillum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chillum (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

an unusual mixture;in that this is mainly a virginia blend but with delicate orientals woven into the smoke. Upon my first smoke of this, i found it hot, harsh, bland and bitey. i threw it into a canning jar and gave it some time. When revisiting, i was astounded at what a good breathe and slight age (only 2/3 months) could do to a tobacco. What assaulted my senses previously; tickled my tastebuds and provided me with intrigue and delight. While i find it full of bready, sweet/sour grassy, nutty tones; it is still a delicate smoke. This is not one to push hard, smoking it like an aromatic, barely keeping the ember lit is a delight; the variety of flavour, whilst still soft and delicate is incredible. There are many layers with this smoke; i have found different flavours coming through in different shaped pipes. I don’t detect much, if any casing. What i do taste is a very pure tobacco taste, sweet and earthy with the Orientals bringing the slightest touch of sour. there is a short, but sweet learning curve with this tobacco. it is an incredibly rewarding and satisfying smoke, it doesnt blow your head off with nicotine or strong flavours. Highly recommended especially for Virginia smokers & Oriental fans that fancy something a bit different, be warned; like other reviews say, it’s not for everyone. It is easily an all day, everyday smoke for me. I don’t feel that I crave the taste like I do other blends but every time I light a bowl of this I’m happy i did.

Pipe Used: Various Falcons, Various Briars

Age When Smoked: From new - 12 Months

Purchased From: www.uktobacco.com

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another re-release of a Dunhill classic I never got my paws on from earlier production runs. Still, the Dunhill blends tend to be good enough to me and for me that I want to try them all, so I got a tin first chance I got.

Opening the tin, the aroma is the typical wine-ish note of Dunhill's VA blends, which I by now believe to be due to a gentle flavouring: the same leaf by other manufacturers does not have that note. Also on opening, there is a definite chocolate hint in there: Burley. Not dominating, just enough to make my ears perk up.

The leaf as such is a relatively thinly-cut ready rubbed, as would be expected from a Dunhill (famous for the relatively narrow cut) ready rubbed (d'oh...). Medium brown to bright leaf; I can't make out any Orientals in there, though, nor does the back label mention them.

Lighting is a single-match effort, maintenance is very easy for a VA blend, the flavour is nice, sweet and from the beginning has that chocolate tint to be expected from the Burley. There is just a hint of the metallic taste many VAs have, not bad at all, and it burns down to nothing but ashes in just about any bowl I have tried.

This makes a nice morning or afternoon blend for me; it could be an all-day smoke if I didn't want more variety. Accordingly, I tend to have a good cup of green tea alongside, usually a Sencha.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 112, db Commander

Purchased From: Wolsdorff, Lübeck, Germany

Similar Blends: Peterson - Sherlock Holmes.

Napping Puppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Napping Puppy (25)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is an underrated blend that truly deserves much better recognition from the pipe smokers community. It is easily among the best Virginia-based blends, and is even not far from being equal to Dunhill Flake in quality. The addition of Burley and Oriental leaves along with the slight addition of honey flavoring adds beauty to this wonderful blend.

When aged, Ready Rubbed would rank among the top Virginia-based blends in the market, and the fact that it can be smoked all day makes it a must-have for Virginia lovers.

Highly recommended.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Dunhill - Ready Rubbed (re-release).

I have no idea what the original Ready Rubbed was like so can draw no comparison; this is a review on this tin for what it is.

The initial opening reveals some quite rugged ribbons; I wouldn't suggest they're chunky enough to be classed as being 'broken flakes' but there's one or two that are chunkier than your simple ribbon or ready rubbed. The colour of the mixture is a very steady, medium brown; there isn't really any fluctuation in colour, lighter nor darker, it's very consistent. There's nothing spectacular to be reported about the aroma; it's a basic Virginia one. My tins moisture's good so I can smoke some right away.

The lighting's easy enough; no jet flame's required here! Then, once lit it gives a good burn that delivers quite a cool smoke that stays nearly bite free; it has to be chugged like a steam engine to get a very slight nip.

There are lots of good things about Ready Rubbed that jump out to me quite quickly: as I said, it burns well, gives a moderately cool smoke, has a fairly low nicotine amount (that suits me), and gives a decent enough room note. It's the flavour of the smoke that could be looked at in both a positive and negative light; it doesn't have much in the way of things that 'stand out' about it; it's not offensive, just a touch simple, thus making it a probable decent all day smoke when you don't want something to sit down and over-evaluate.

This sums up, for me, the word 'boring'. I'd prefer to have more going on in the smoke. This is why I can only somewhat recommend it.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Fuoco

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos'

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)

Oh, what a beautiful ribbon cut VA/Turkish blend - in all categories!

Presentation lives up to the Dunhill standard. Moisture content is perfect. Packed great and was easy to light and like a good ribbon, stayed lit. The ribbon appears to be cut from a cake. Tin aroma is hay-like with fruity aromas. It may be lightly flavored with a top dressing, but this is not a traditional aromatic as we understand that term. The emphasis here is with the VA/Turkish taste experience.

The VA is a flue cured lemon with other varieties. The Turkish, I believe has a slight greenish cast. Regardless, there is NO drek, dust, or floor sweepings in this blend. The taste experience is mild with a soft sweetness and those hard to describe tasty Turkish notes that in middle of the smoke often waft up from the bowl to the nose. I love it. One caution, however: As with all classy ladies this must be treated with respect - even, slow draws prevent this tobacco from over heating.

If you like VA flakes with subtle sweetness and Turkish highlights, you will like DRR; it is an easy all-day smoke, and as with all Dunhill blends, top shelf. I highly recommend this complex and classy blend.

Pipe Used: Dunhill, and a Parker #189 tanshell.

Age When Smoked: Christmas 2015

Purchased From: Cigars and Pipes

Similar Blends: Many mild VA Flakes..

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (97)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Great tin presentation, as in all Dunhill Tobaccos. Aroma from tin is sweet hay Virginia. Moisture of tobacco is spot on for smoking. Easy light and burn with few relights. Taste is semi sweet and a bit tangy. Excellent ribbons of Virginia with just a barley noticeable amount of the turkish. Works well for me. Mild enough to be an all day smoke, as a matter of fact wish it came in a bulk. Like all of the Dunhills I have in my regular rotation I must say it is excellent.

Pipe Used: various Kaywoodies

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Pipers' Domain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers' Domain (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Bread, grass and hint of citrus. All this released with every draw in this wonderful blend. Very well balanced, with the balkan/turkish part being more dominant. An all day tobacco that smokes well to the very last minute. Content moisture is a little bit higher than perfect. Highly recommended to virginia/balkan lovers.

Age When Smoked: Smoked when bought.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (126)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

As a fan of Dunhill virginia blends i had to try this one!when you crack the tin you see the bright and brown virginias combined with rubbed flakes.as for the aroma,oh my god!fresh fruits ,citruses honey hints,bread perhaps and some grass.the moisture level is perfect,packs ok,lights easy and keeps the burn.while smoking the tastes are great,clear and present till the end.fresh fruits ,citruses,sweet notes with proper moisture.some spicyness is detected too.the nicotine level is low to medium,burns medium and clear till the end of the bowl.this might taste like i lighter version of royal yacht with similar smoking pleasure.this blend is unique to start and finish your day.definitelly a must try!!

Age When Smoked: When opened!

Similar Blends: Lighter version of Royal yacht.

CharatansMake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CharatansMake (18)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice Virginia/Burley tobacco!!

The Burley does not take a back seat to the Virginia but receives the role it deserves and enriches the sweet hay note with its nutty taste. The conditioning is perfect, a cool and clean smoke is garanteed. According to my experience this tobacco (like many others) benefits from opening the tin to let it breath some air and to keep it stored thereafter for a while. Just a few days will have a nice effect. Sure, like always with Dunhill you will have to pay the typicall +20% premium so that we have a few more lucky Porsche drivers on this planet...

...anyway, I give it 3,5 stars!

p.s.: According to the description provided by K&K (homepage) this tobacco contains Virginia and Burley. Orientals/Turkishs are not mentioned.

Pipe Used: Charatan Selected XL

Age When Smoked: fresh/+1week open/etc.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (161)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Never had original. Smoke a full tin here. Bright Virginia leaves. More body than straight Virginia. Can't taste Turkish, but that must be involved in the added strength. Orange and honey sweet but not near the top. Not wet or hot. Not as sweet to me as Capstan.

A Little too spicy for a quiet English-aromatic. Enjoyable on occasion for mild-medium sweet smoke with some extra body. Quality leaves and mix.

Pipe Used: Ardor, Rinaldo

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: SPC

Similar Blends: Capstan gold ready rubbed.

Mops Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mops (2)

It seems this tobacco was produced by different blenders in the past and seems to have changed quite a bit if I compare it to the tin that I purchased here in Germany. First, the version I own was not produced by STG - they confirmed to me upon request that they stopped producing Dunhill blends already a few years ago. I assume that this tobacco is now produced by Kohlhase & Kopp and that version is the one I'll be reviewing. It consists of some brighter and some darker virginias and also some burley tobaccos. Also, there is no top-flavouring whatsoever to this blend - at least that's what they told me at K&K.

Tin Note: slight hay note, very fruity and citrusy, maybe a little nuttiness already.

Packing / Handling: As easy as it gets. Perfect Dunhill style ribbons, ready to be smoked right from the tin. Packs easy, no relights required and (if smoked with care) does not burn too hot. When smoked faster I find it gets hot quickly and loses much of his flavour.

Taste: This is a rather light blend and totally suitable for a "first pipe of the day", both, taste and nicotine wise. At first I get a nice plain virgina taste, rather on the citrusy side with some fruit (maybe raisins and garden fruits) and a decent natural sweetness. After a while, the burley comes out more providing a little darker, richer and nuttier taste. Still, the virginia is the protagonist of this blend and plays its role from the beginning until the end where only a very fine ash is left of the tobacco. The burley just adds so much extra flavour to make the virgina shine a little brighter and delivers some deepness and complexity.

Room Note: Rather light, and nothing too special. While it doesn't smell as nice as some other blends it should at least not disturb anyone.

Pipe Used: Several, mostly medium sized billiards

Age When Smoked: As it came from the store

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

buroak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
buroak (16)

The Virginia and light fruit topping combine for a citrusy, sweet, and zesty taste. The Orietals, which are more prominent to my taste than they seem to be to other reviewers, accentuate the zestiness of the blend. The Orientals also offer some spice as well as a light, pleasing sourness that manages to stand out from the other flavors. How it stands out I do not know, but my taste buds and nose pick it up as distinct from the topping. I did not detect the Burley that other reviewers note.

This blend burns well and cool, with fewer relights than my high average. I experience no tongue bite with this tobacco. In terms of nicotine content, this blend's strength is mild. Taste is somewhat nearer medium than mild due to the Orientals and synergy between the Virginias and topping. For me this is a three-star tobacco, though I can see it being a favorite for some.

NOTE: One of the factors that keeps this from getting a fourth star from me is that the constellations of flavors in this blend sometimes align such that it tastes like a lemony kitchen cleaner smells. That said, I have only experienced this unhappy taste when drinking coffee while smoking this blend. As always, your mileage may vary.

Smoke on the Water Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke on the Water (1)

This IS Orlik Golden Sliced rubbed out. It is the same blend. I love OGS, and it is the one blend I smoke everyday. I don't know what the old Dunhill RR was like, but this is OGS, no doubt about it.

Pipe Used: Many

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Puff N' Stuff Atlanta, Ga

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (80)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice all day smoke. Lits well, burns well, no tounge bite, clean dry smoke. Fine, sweet taste of natural Virginia. Worth to try it. recommend.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Cigarworld.de

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (58)

Classic-elegant tin label. Tin nose is mainly bread and yeast. I cannot smell any Oriental. Neatly and evenly presented Ready Rubbed tobacco, almost like a medium-fine Ribbon Cut. Gorgeous golden colour. A feast for your eyes. All high Dunhill standard. The moisture out of the tin is ok for me. Since our American pipe friends usually prefer drier tobacco than Europeans, you may allow a short drying time.

Excellent smoking conditions. But mind you: neither draw to eagerly, nor smoke too hot, or the moment of revenge has come, in the form of harsh-acrid tastes and the well-known Virginia bite. Otherwise it is a mild, rather pleasurable and tasty smoke.

To me this new release of DUNHILL READY RUBBED is a straight Virginia Blend, not an Aromatic like the original one definitely was. Although I cannot single-out the Orientals, they may certainly be there and provide some hidden spice and enhance the mixture’s taste. As far as I am concerned it’s all about Virginias and some topping. The added flavours are gentle and marry up really well with the Virginias. It’s a kind of fruity casing, which I am not able to specify. They did a good job on this, because I am normally scared off by artificial flavourings.

I have never been a fan of straight Virginia blends, even less, when flavoured. I prefer heavy English, Balkan and Perique mixtures. But, DRR is somewhat recommendable as a light all-day smoke.

Age When Smoked: New, out of the tin.

Purchased From: Local tobacconist.

Lager Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lager (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I do not taste the orentials as they are an afterthought. The Virginias seem to lack any age. This can be bitter if pushed. Nic hit is below medium. I think this would be better if cellared for a few years. Didn't ring any bells for me. Happy Smoking- Lager (formally budman)

Pipe Used: Various petersons, don carlos

Age When Smoked: 3 montjs

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

A fruity smoke, due in large part to the topping. The Virginias dominate with some fruitiness of their own as well as later notes of bread and earth. The Orientals give an occasional sour note. The Burley can only be identified through a nondescript bass note. Has a slight harshness on the retrohale. The best feature is the persistence of the topping which lasts till the end. 2 stars.

Mild to medium in body and taste. Flavoring is mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Kamerling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kamerling (25)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Little bit better than Three Year Matured Viginia, but still the same mistakes. Ready Rubbed has too preservative, lukewarm and tedious taste. Next to 3YMV that's another proof, that Dunhill should stick to their specials - latakia mixtures and stop making disillusions of other tobaccos.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (149)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Neutral and natural. In my opinion in this blend you can taste a real tobacco taste. No sugar, no flavoring no topping. However this mixture is lacking in taste, the virginia is poor, with a weak taste. Insufficient personality and no complexity. So, from the side of the purity, of the natural tobacco, this blend is ok and the score is three stars, but from the side of the taste in my opinion the score is only two stars (the average is two stars and a half).

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (54)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Unnoticeable

Look Ma , no taste . I mean none at all , just smoke . Excellent as land fill or ballast but of no use at all in the pipe . You might use it to add to moist mixtures that you want to dry out . Other than that , why ever was this tobacco ever made?

3000DK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
3000DK (5)

Over the years I have enjoyed many of the Dunhill blends. My favourites being Dunhill Flake, MM 965, Early Morning Pipe, Aperitif, Durbar and BB1938. But the re-introduction of Ready Rubbed disappointed me a bit. No doubt, good quality leaf has been used. Can't fault things like moisture, tin presentation etc. As always with Dunhill these things are spot on. But the blend lacks body and personality. Will not buy again.