A blend of golden, fully ripe Virginia leaves from the traditional districts of the United States. Natural sweetness and freshness with hints of citrus.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
Blended ByOrlik
Manufactured ByOrlik
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Packaging50g & 100g Tins (40g pouch outside USA)
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Iwan Ries
4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I've appreciated Flake tobacco for over forty years. Coming back to OGS was like visiting an old friend. In OGS, Orlik has produced what I consider to be the "primo" of Flakes. I can honestly say that I have never smoked a Flake I didn't like. But, OGS is special. It is the best presentation of Flake tobacco I have had the pleasure to enjoy. I love those thin slices that hold together, fold and pack easily. An easy light, wonderulf taste, no bite and very satisfying smoke. If OGS was the only blend available to me, I could be satisfied to smoke it for as long as my puffer holds out. A true Masterpiece of Flake tobacco. An investment in pure satisfying pleasure.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)

I've been smoking this flake tobacco for many, many years and after reading the reviews I have gotten many, many laughs. Let me set the record straight; THIS TOBACCO HAS NEVER EVER HAD PERIQUE IN IT, NOR DOES IT NOW HAVE PERIQUE IN IT. The label on the back of the tin has always said "Virginia and Burley",but all of a sudden the maker says they meant to say "Perique" when they said "burley". The maker of this fine tobacco knows darn well between the two tobaccos and their spelling. Ok, enough of my soapbox. This is true pressed Virginia with a just a smidgen of burley tobacco blended in. Smooth,satisfying, and tangy. The burley tobacco gives this flake a roundness. A very fine flake I've been puffing on for more than thirty years.

NOTICE: Look back on reviews of this tobacco a few years ago before the maker stated there was perique in the blend. You will see no mention of tasting any perique in the blend at all.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (32)

Orlik Golden Sliced (Red) is described on the English language label as being "composed of golden Virginia tobaccos with a touch of perique." Readers of this and other pipe tobacco forums are aware of the fact that for years the label listed a touch of burley rather than perique. A spokesperson for the Scandinavian Tobacco Group has asserted that the previous mention of burley was a mistranslation (?!) The debate continues to rage as to whether Golden Sliced has perique. I always thought so even when the label did not so state, not because I tasted perique, but because I got a slight perique tingle when exhaling the smoke through my nose.

I personally do not think the perique versus burley controversy matters at all. Golden Sliced should be considered just a Virginia flake--and a very fine one at that. The taste for me has a slight citrus undertone, not perique. I do not taste burley. Burley in small amounts will smooth out a mixture, but it takes a significant amount for the burley taste to come through. (Kentucky, smoked burley, asserts its taste with much smaller amounts.)

For me, this is a golden Virginia with a taste on the mild side of medium and a pleasant room note. The label directs "rub the tobacco slices gently before filling your pipe." I have had equal success both with a gentle rub out and just cramming the thin slices down into the pipe.

Golden Sliced is well behaved for a Virginia in the bite category.

This tobacco holds up well when frequently smoked. Some tobaccos tire the taste and are best smoked as a change of pace. Not so with OGS. I have not given it the fourth star, but I seriously considered it.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)

Highly economical, but don't be fooled. This is a top notch flake: rich in natural tobacco flavour and aroma, satisfying yet mild enough to be smoked all day.

For my taste this is the perfect VaPer. The tiny smidgeon of perique gives Orlik Golden Sliced an added freshness without becoming too noticeable on its own. Perique, like latakia, can impart real magic to a blend when used as a condiment. If you like good Virginia tobacco but find straight Virginia blends a bit one-dimensional, OGS is an ideal remedy.

Packing and smoking couldn't be simpler. I simply grab enough tobacco for a bowlful, fold and massage it to the shape of a football, and then air pocket the resulting clump into the chamber, evening off the top with my thumbs. Burns beautifully.

Pipe Used: Bjarne

Similar Blends: Former - Cross Grain Flake.

robster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robster (1)

This is a world class, smooth and light all day smoke. Now I only smoke a few times a week but were I a daily toker it would be hard not to be in my every day rotation.

I'd describe this as a summer smoke. It's light, fresh and has a floral, almost apricot aroma. On the palate, it's very light and accessible, doesn't overwhelm at all yet isn't lacking in interest.

Orlik Golden Sliced will always be in my cellar, it's a true classic, not for being big, heavy and flavoursome (it's not), but for being fresh, easy, interesting and of such high quality.

Pipe Used: small churchwarden

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: 4noggins

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)

This flake is, besides MacBaren Navy, a must try in the flakes segment for every pipe smoker. It is perfectly balanced and interesting fresh, as much as rounded aged. Like all Virginias it can bite, if pushed, but sipped slowly, develops a wonderful spring like taste. Tin note is like fruity hay, similar to freshly mowed spring grass after a few days in the sun and the taste is quite robust. Fully recommended.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)

Agree with those reviewers who say the "dash of perique or burley" issue is not an issue. If there's something else there beside sunny Virginia leaf, it's in such miniscule quantities that it's undetectable.

I'll only reach for a straight Virginia occasionally, but I like this one. Nice roundness to the tin note, which is the classic VA aroma of sweet, freshly mowed grass as well as some enjoyable citrus notes. The flakes are well made and the moisture level is just about right. They don't need a whole lot of dry time to smoke well (although it helps), and you can fold and stuff or rub and pack. I find it burns at a very leisurely pace. The nicotine is on the soft side. The flavor is really nice--soft and toasty with a little tang. And my tin seems to be aging very nicely. I'd recommend it, especially given the relatively low price.

P.S. I can't resist taking another jab at Gawith's lauded Full Virginia Flake. Orlik's Golden Sliced seems like a much better execution of the same style, for half the price (in the States, at least).

Pipe Used: large MM cob

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This has been my favorite tobacco since I first tried it. I'm primarily a VaPer smoker, and this just hits it home. It's very similar to Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake with an addition of bergamot orange essence to it. I really can't speak highly enough about it. It's not a very nicotine strong blend, but it's burn qualities and flavor make it a great any time or all day smoke.

Pipe Used: briars, meerschaums, pyrolytic graphite, cob, pear

Age When Smoked: fresh, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years.

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (23)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For the price, there is no better VA flake out there. The Perique in the blend is extremely subtle, and is hardly detectible once this stuff as some age on it. I have a hundred tins of this stuff brooding for the tobacco apocalypse and plan on buying many more. It's smooth, sweet, and creamy with grassy citrus notes and a subtle hint of spice every now and again. And on special occasions when the pipe tobacco gods are smiling down on me, midway through the bowl the creaminess builds up to the point where it's like sweet butter. I dream at night about smoking this stuff.

Pipe Used: MM Cob, Aldo Velani Filtro, Stanwell Trio

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake City, UT

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue.

Perique? I dunno about that. I sure wouldn't bet my life on it. I get a sweet, citrus with the slightest tang note, and I suspect there's a touch of burley in it. It's good for an all day smoke. Don't look for much strength in here because you'll be disappointed. Enjoy it for the gentle smoke it's meant to be. I can see this being a pleasant change of pace for anyone who smokes stronger blends, and just wants some something barely more than mild with a little sweetness. This is made for that smoker, or for someone looking for a break from Dunhill Flake or Capstan Gold Flake. I enjoy smoking it when I have the chance, and it always delivers on its promise. Very pleasing.

Nick M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick M. (2)

Smoking Qualities - Phenomenal to rub and pack, even better (and longer) smoke when gently folded and screwed into the bowl using air pocket method. Burns evenly with no bite when smoked mindfully.

Flavor - Charring light provides a toasty sweet Va flavor, very clean and warm. Three matches lit a fold n stuff bowl. In the first third, the perique and the harsher notes are apparent. The second third releases a sweeter flavor which lets the Va shine. The final (best) and most complex third has the best balance of flavor, between the mellowed sweetness, built darker notes of leather and nut, and the gentle reminder of perique spice.

Finish - Great burned chocolate and leathery toasted nut flavor, spice ever so slowly fades away. Perfect finish IMO.

Price to Value - Worth way more than what it costs, a top notch tobacco, for the beginner or pro.

As for the perique debate, I am not qualified to judge, but it seems excessively spicy to be composed entirely of Vas to me. Has that nice perique burn through the nose.

Will cellar for a year and report back.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran Straight Billiard

Age When Smoked: One month

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Very smooth smoke. The tin note is exactly the same as dried apricots with a slight hay like smell. You can detect a little bit of apricot in the smoke, but mostly it's the sweet even toasty hay with a hint of citrus. Very clean tobacco. Really nice and light change of pace. I find the nicotine on the high side as I seem to experience with most virginias.

Pipe Used: Hilson ball

Age When Smoked: 2 months old tin freshly opened

Purchased From: Smoking pipes online

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perique or burley? I always thought there was a perique like ghost and attributed it to some kind of top note. I whole heartedly believe that the mistranslation thing is all marketing. I feel the "burley" was actually Green River Burley given a perique treatment, and thus they are not legally able to say "Perique". Turn your can over...it says 'perigue' not perique. That is definitely a g not a q. So they still are not saying it has "Perique". All that aside, this is a really good flake one that should be considered especially since it is so inexpensive for a tin.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: new to one year

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (16)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

As a lover of VaPers, OGS is one of my favourites. All the ingredients to make it a superb tobacco are there; good quality virginias, the right amount of perique, NO tongue bite, slow burning, heavenly sweet taste with enough spices to satify any VaPer connoisseur. What more can I say? If you do not have this one in your rotation, you are doing yourself a wrong! Get some today.

Pipe Used: Parker Russet

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Escudo & PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake.

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)

OGS has a nice grassy hay'is flavor with a little faint hint of citrus that I really like. At the end of the bowl, a weak but pleasant taste of the Perique comes forward. OGS is my personal favorite in the Va /Per mixture class.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (19)

I consider Orlik Golden Sliced to be one of the quintessential VaPers (the other being Solani 633), against which I judge all others. It comes in long flakes that have a strong aroma of licorice, a citrusy/honey taste and considerable sweetness, which are the hallmarks of good Virgina tobacco. I used to rub it out before smoking but have found that, like most flakes, it smokes longer, cooler and stronger if I just fold it and stuff it in my pipe (although this requires a extra few relights to get it going).

I am intrigued by the debate over whether OGS contains perique. I would point out that perique is a type of burley tobacco and therefore the statement that previously graced the OGS label, that it contained burley, is not surprising or incorrect. As to whether it contains perique, if Orlik says it does than I assume it does because their's is a reputable company and I don't believe they would make false claims about their tobaccos (not to mention that doing so would be illegal). That said, I would note that, among VaPers, OGS probably has relatively less perique than some others.

All in all, if you like Virginia tobacco or want to learn what it is all about, you couldn't do better than to try OGS. It's moderate price makes it a real bargain, when one considers the amount of pleasure that it delivers.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: I usually age it for a year or so before smoking

Huskysibe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huskysibe (2)

What can I say, this is a nice, consistent, smooth tobacco. There's nothing out of the ordinary about it, no super wow factor. Having said that, I will always have some on hand. Its a tobacco you can count on to deliver consistently.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (18)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm reasonably new to pipe smoking, and started off on the Gawith Hoggarth range. Recently though I have bought a huge selection of small samples from smoke-king. Seeing as I use this site I lot I thought it best to add my own opinions, as useful or not as they may be.

The flakes are thin and the perfect level of dryness to me - thy don't clump and packing the pipe is very straightforward. After 2 charring lights this tobacco burned slowly and evenly - very, very easy to keep lit and smoulders away nicely.

The taste is nice, nothing that knocks your socks off but it does have a bright flavour - a bit hay-like and summery. It almost has a marmalade taste creeping in for me.

I do get bitten by virginias, but this one was not bad at all. It was a creeping bite which could be kept at bay by smoking slowly.

All in all, good easy smoke :)

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: smoke-king

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (24)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Wanting to add more VAs to my collections, I bought this. It had good reviews on this site and was very cheap for a 40 gram pouch. So If I didn't like it, not too much to risk.

I read a lot that it has a flavoring added, but I really can't detect it in the pouch and not so much in the flavor. It does give off a slight citrus flavor when smoked. Espeically as you get further down the bowl.

I really enjoyed this tobacco and think it would be a great try for someone trying to get into VAs but still want a little flavor in their baccy.

The 40 gram pouch is a great buy for me because it's not as cumbersome as a tin and can be smoked on the run. The amount is also perfect because it will probably all be smoked before it gets dried out.

Comes a little dry in the pouch but it's at the right level for my tasting.

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Egg

Purchased From: Kawarada Tobacco (Sendai)

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)

Open the tin, smell and enjoy the jam like scents of this VA, rub the flakes, fill your pipe and smoke immediately!

Wow, I was seldom floored by a pipe tobacco so quickly. Everything is perfect. Rubbing is easy, no need to dry the tobacco, and the taste is just wonderful. Hay and zest of citrus.

Definitely to be bought again.

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (13)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

There is a reason this tobacco is on just about everyones top 10 list. Very good, and nothing fancy. Just a great smoke at any time of day. Did I mention its cheap too?

Pipe Used: various

Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (17)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I opened a 100 gm tin of this a month or so back. I never tasted any of the advertized "fresh citrus and orange notes" nor did I smell any of that in the tin note either. I was a little disappointed, but I got over it. After all, it's high grade Virginia that needs no drying time or rubbing- just tear off a hunk of the size you want and stuff it in. It burns nice and slow.

I don't think there's perique here either, but there should be enough nicotine for anyone looking for it, as a matter of fact if you don't like nicotine it might be best to avoid Orlik. I tend to smoke it in small quantities. There's a purity to this tobacco, which I think is a huge part of its appeal. I prefer it to Escudo and the Navy ilk, but that's me. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: cobs to Peterson Army

Age When Smoked: purchased nearly a year ago

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)

A pleasant straight virginia - no "perique" [irrespective of spelling] in this blend. No standout character points, although there is a slight citrus note. This is a 'cultured' blend without sharp edges. I tend to "drink" my pipe-full rather than just sipping it - so I can [unintentionally] induce a blend to bite when it really is my fault!! This blend is rather forgiving in this department, but still needs to be sipped sensibly - you'll find where the best smoking rate is for your case, just as I did. I found it better in a narrow-chambered Group3-size Sebastien Beo bent billiard rather than my usual "virginia" pipe(s) [Savinelli 316KS - a 24mm wide, tapered bowl]. The key to enjoying this blend is to keep it as cool as you can - over-heating the burn will produce a tart and unpleasant taste [and probably bite you as well]. Just to say it again - no stand-out character trait, just a well-mannered straight virginia to be enjoyed for what it is. OH! And no perique.

Pipe Used: Beo b/billiard, Savinelli "Erica Fiamma" 316KS

Age When Smoked: unknwon - new from supplier

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (40)
Very Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is really a wonderful tobacco. It smells like a barn filled with slightly moist grain, and tastes slightly sweet with just a little malted barley to it. Does smoke a little hot but I didn't have any tongue bite issues. A wonderful all day every day kind of smoke.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Age When Smoked: 2-3 years

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I generally like light VaPers, but if there is any Per in this VaPer, I couldn't detect it. As a straight VA, it's well-made but pretty boring

Purchased From: Mars Cigars

Steve Lewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve Lewis (5)

Orlik's GS is a tobacco for the Virginia lovers. OGS is just right out of tin with no drying time required. Perique, for get about it, there is non in this tobacco. What you get is a nut like taste with a little sour note. I do not taste any citrus aroma or taste as other reviewers have reported. The tin aroma is grassy like and the flakes hand rub out with ease. This is a wonderful full rounded tobacco that is easy to light and to smoke. The blend lasts about an hour in a grade 4 or 5 sized bowl. In conclusion, OGS is a very good blend and one that I have returned to as my main smoke.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Having heard nothing but "good" about this one I decided to take the plunge . What have I been missing ?! The actual tobacco is of a perfect moisture and thickness . The smoke is heavenly . Absolutely no bite and can be inhaled with ease . Although it is not an aromatic I find a slight "zesty" undertone to it . It reminds me of "smoking pure sunshine" as it seems to taste so bright !! .Room note is as you would expect from Virginia . An extra drying period would probably ameliorate it to rub however it is not at all imperative . It is pretty much impossible to find a negative point !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (13)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well, I got psyched for this because I bought an old Orlik pipe. The reviews I read and YouTube reviews were all pretty favorable, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've been testing tobaccos for a few years now, trying to settle on a main one to carry in my pouch. When I had first bought the tin if Orlik, it had been along with another tobacco. I tried that mixture first, unfortunately. Ack - it tasted horrible in my newly acquired Orlik briar! Terrible misfire!! I quickly scooped it out, all cussing and fuming - and went to the Orlik tobacco and popped in a quick roll - just to get the taste out. Gods be praised. Orlik saved the day! Not only that, it was a terrific first bowl of the Slices. Great introduction! Since then, I have gone through a period of getting to know the tobacco - to where a nice ground of familiarity was established. This led to my outright craving the Orlik. I enjoyed it so much that I dedicated the Orlik pipe to the Orlik tobacco. That was a great idea - and came from other reviews on here. Very glad I've done that. The seasoning just enhances the overall familiarity, so when you light that puppy up, all the flavors just wave hello and greet you with your slippers. Currently I am at a point where all my other tobaccos, some of them favorites, have lost their appeal! I have, in fact, over the course of a few months, become a devotee of the Golden Slices. I have finally found that one singular tobacco that I have been looking for! Nicest thing about this being my new favorite, aside from that killer price point, is that it's one of those standards that lets the tobacco sing. Not a lot of mish mash or casings. Just dang fine flakes with a couple of minor flourishes for character and that's all. A solid, trustworthy companion who won't let you down. Highest rating.

Pipe Used: Orlik "Captain Black"

Age When Smoked: One Month

Similar Blends: Gawith Hoggarth Bright CR Flake.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (90)

No two ways about it, this is simply a delightful, elegant smoke. A delectable lingering sweetness on the palate, combined with a delicious tangy spiciness dominates the first half of the bowl. The smoke is smooth, incredibly flavorful and has no bite whatsoever. For the price, Golden Sliced is quite possibly the best tinned Virginia flake on the market. It has a sweet, fruity malt-like aroma reminiscent of Stokkebye's Twist Flake. This flake is absolutely marvelous when folded and stuffed into the pipe. Perique? I believe it's there, but it's just enough to provide a perfect, ever so slight augmentation in flavor.

End bowl flavors do ramp up and become more complex. The heel of the bowl finishes woody and somewhat astringent but it's not at all unpleasant. As far as performance is concerned, this flake burns so perfectly it practically smokes itself.

Golden Sliced is simply a must try for any fan of Virginia flakes. For me it's a must have and for the price I usually double my pleasure and opt for the big tin whenever I purchase it. Hey you only live once, right?

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: 2

Travelingmanwv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Travelingmanwv (3)

Very nice smoke and affordable. Smooth and mild which makes it an all day or any time smoke. Certainly going to stay in my rotation as it's a pleasure to smoke.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Cadre Noir

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: www.wvsmokeshop.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake.

woodenmatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
woodenmatch (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

There is confusion about this product because the 50gram is a vaper and the100 gram is all Virginia. It so states on the tins, and if you open them together you will be sure to notice the difference in the smell. That being said both are 4 star.

Pipe Used: Boswell

Age When Smoked: Fresh from cab

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (29)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a bunch of tins a while back with the goal of sampling many of the different types of tobacco. I'd had bad experiences with VaPers before getting to this. And I was very close to reselling it. But I decided maybe the third time's the charm. Well, in a way, it is. This smokes nothing like the previous VaPers I tried. Some reviewers have stated that this contains only trace amounts of Perique. If that's the case, then I think I've discovered the amount I can tolerate. The tobacco smells nice out of the tin. It's pressed into slices of golden rectangles. I'm still quite new to packing tobacco that is not ribbon cut. I've managed to break it up, crumple it, or find some way to stuff it into my pipe. I've managed to light a bowl, but keeping it lit requires several relights. The tobacco burns slowly, at least for me, so I don't need even a whole slice to smoke for 30-45 minutes. The issue I'm having is the constant relights. But again, it's my problem because I haven't learned how to properly prepare and pack this pressed tobacco. The flavor is really mild with little to no bite, whether it's fresh out of the tin or a few days dry. Actually, it's really a plain smoke and I can't understand the hype behind this blend. I'll use it to learn to properly pack pressed tobacco, but, when it's finished, I won't purchase it again. EDIT 1/21/14: This tobacco is for the experienced pipe smoker, as it requires a few tricks to smoke properly. 1) Dry it out for 2 weeks, at least. 2) Regardless of what packing method you use, you MUST do a deep and thorough charring light. 3) Tip the extra ash out frequently. 4) Use a pipe lighter with an angled flame. 5) Tamp frequently, but don't allow the draw hole to get covered. THEN... you'll still get just a very plain smoke. Not changing my rating :-/

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Strong Mild Mild Tolerable

I have to admit, by the end of this last summer I had developed a fondness for this tobacco. For me, it's a good summer smoke. The tobacco is toasty, smooth, yet there's a sharpness, a peppery-ness to it as well. The "hay-like" taste or effect that many seem to comment on I couldn't detect (though I had wanted to). I also loved the side stream, one of the better blends in regards to that. Another positive is how long I could make a bowl last—nearly an hour. It's smoking characteristics are good, it takes a match fine and burns well, few relights required. I rubbed the tobacco out rather than using the fold and stuff method. I thought it to be too strong nicotine-wise, and, as usual, this is not something I like, but, there are things about this blend that trump the nic-hit. At the end of the day, I find it could use a wee boost in the taste department. Even so, I recommend it.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Eric Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I put this in the same category as all other straight virginias. Just a high quality plain tobacco. A lot of people love this stuff but i have found i'm much more of an american aromatic or or full english fan. I don't hate this it's just not for me, but if you like straight high quality tobacco this is toward the top of the list for sure.

Age When Smoked: new, just opened

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake.

cloudconnect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cloudconnect (10)

Orlik Golden Sliced offers a lot to the Virginia lover. Has a natural sweetness and quality that appeals to a more seasoned, or mature pipe smoker, so sensitive tongues need not seek anything here. The quality presents itself initially by the flake. Check out the grain and variation in color. Not a super complex tobacco, but excellent at the one or two flavours that exemplify a good Virginia blend. It's like peppery tobacco! that's the only way of summing it up, and that's all it needs to be.

Update since original review is that I, like many, don't believe there is any perique in this blend. ( Why would they continue with the mis-print on the label?) It just doesn't have the perfumey aspect. I think that is a good thing. I was going to take my rating down a star because I haven't been reaching for it all that much lately, but ehh, I've got good memories!

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Fine tobacco at a very reasonable price I like it.

Thank's

Mattholomeau Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mattholomeau (3)

I have only been smoking about a few months, this was my favorite at first because it was nice and the first I kept lit without any trouble. It burns quick and kinda hot, don't stoke it. After trying some plain Virginia's I realize I don't think I like the perique in this. It is quite sour and biting as the bowl goes on. I like it but I pry won't buy it again in favor of non perique blends. It could just be the blend though, I've tried plain Virginia's and found no sourness which is supposed to be periques thing so I assume its that. Could be wrong. Great value.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Haven't been disappointed by this yet. Smokes cool, has a natural virginia sweetness, and never bites. This is the real McCoy. Highly recommended.

Gestalt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gestalt (7)

Short and sweet review based on a fresh tin with no age.

Great Tobacco. Round tin from UK tobacconist with a large long flakes, very similar to Rattray's Marlin Flake in appearance. Wonderful citrus and hay notes from the tin.

Bright and sweet Virginia taste, noticeable citrus in amongst the hay and the Perique. An Awesome tobacco which provides consistent smokes in the smallest and the largest bowls. Get some! I wish I'd tried this earlier, and I'll be buying more for the cellar.

Can't understand the low stars from other reviewers. This stuff really is a delight.

Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

straight to the point this is the finest Virginia flake ever created in pipe tobacco history, the flavor is incredibly well balanced, very "hay" like, slightly sweet flavor with a little touch of "orange" in the background are detected, absolutely fantastic blend!, smoking this as an all day smoke is the eternal Nirvana.

Gentlemen; If you like true Virginia, buy Orlik Golden Sliced

DaSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaSquid (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Many years I tried a bulk blend called "Copenhagen Slices." It was some sort of VA flake. I didn't know how to properly rub it, light it, or smoke it, and it set off 10 alarms on my tongue. The experience was so bad that I steered clear of any flake tobacco for 20 years.

However, I kept seeing flake blends referred to w/great affection here on PSF. So, I googled flake, read up on how to rub it properly, how to fill the pipe properly, how to light it properly, and how to smoke it properly. I researched the different blends, and set out to buy some MacBaren Navy Flake.

The B&M I went to in Fort Worth, however was out. The only thing they had in stock was Orlik Golden Slice. I almost walked out, but decided that since I drove 30 miles for some flake I was going to buy it anyway. On the way home I hit an estate shop and bought a small plate to hold the rubbed-out flake. (A nice little plate that has a Norman Rockwell print of an old sailor smoking a pipe as he builds a model ship).

I got home and cracked the tin. The tin note was a light, sweet, citrus aroma. It might be a casing, but it might also simply be the naturally sweet smell of the Virginia - though it's probably more likely that that wonderful sroma is a little of both. The blend itself is a simple Virginia and Burly mix, and the beautiful medium brown and golden flakes reflect this lineage.

I fully rubbed-out the flakes with ease and virtually no mess, filled the cob, did the charring light, tamped, and relighted. OMG!!! The most wonderful and mellow I have ever had was my reward. No bite, the flavor is sublime, and the room note is just plain pleasant - going on 25 years of pipe smoking, this is the only toby I can actually smell when I smoke it. Between the flavor and the room note, this smoking experience is akin to summer walks through the freshly cut hay and alfalfa fields of Wayne County, PA. We're talking a perfectly balanced symphony of Virginia and Burly here folks.

I find it hard to believe that there could be a much better flake toby out there - but I sure am willing to look. My second experience with flake was a clear winner, and I plan keeping a tin of "Uncle Orlik" on hand at all times. I'll say it again - "OMG! Orlik Golden Slice is awesome!"

I've had this 100 gm tin in my cellar for the last 2 years, but always put it off for something else. Finally cracked it and I've finished over half of it. The 2nd half will be an occasional smoke.

I'm very glad others have mentioned the citrus nature of this blend. Specifically, I taste a huge orange essence with a slight bit of lemon. The VA's take center stage and I can't say with any certainty that I tasted burley, unless it's cased with this orange flavor. The entire concoction tastes like it's mildly cased, as it is the most "citrus-y" VA I've ever smoked, even more so than Mac Baren's Virginia #1, and fans of it should also like this one. The tobacco is presented beautifully in spun form and breaks apart easily for rubbing. It came at near-perfect moisture in the tin and I've experimented with various degrees of dryness. It's a very congenial blend, never biting or hot, always smooth and flavorful.

The only downside - if it could be considered one - is that I could never smoke this all day. The orange taste would wear me out. It never dies down, even when bone dry and even down the bowl. When I'm in the mood for it, this tobacco was a refreshing change of pace. When I wasn't, it became a bit cloying. But it's an excellent tobacco and should be tried by every confirmed VA smoker... and from the number of reviews written here, it has! Glad I finally got to it.

I opened this tin to a wonderful tart hay like aroma. The flakes are of a medium brown color, actually looking like a fine hay pressed together. The flakes are large and somewhat moist, so I put out a large flake and let it dry overnight. This morning, I chose to rub it out somewhat and loaded it in a Castello Hawkbill and gave it a light. I was rewarded with a semi sweet, very smooth hay like flavor that was very good with a cup of tea as a morning smoke. It took several relites before settling down and giving me a nice smoke. It does say on the tin that it has some burley in it but the burley never even tried to be a main player, just sweet and mild VA flavor. It burned down to a really fine dark grey ash with no dottle in the bottom of my pipe. I really enjoyed this tobacco. It stayed tame, never biting, and kept it's flavor the same from first light, to the bottom of the pipe. One I plan on keeping around and I highly recommend this blend for lovers of VA Flakes.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

A pure, not very sweet tobacco taste.

Let it dry a bit, rub at your own choice if you wish. Lights very easily. Take care while smoking the second half. It needs to be smoked slowly. Otherwise you'll ruin a very nice finish.

Light and flavorful smoke, rich in nicotine. Very satisfying from all points of view. An all day smoke. If you are looking for a pure tobacco smoke you will not need something else.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

This review is based on a relatively small sample, four or five bowls.

I think this is a pretty good tobacco, all things considered, but I'm giving it two stars precisely because there are many others out there that are better.

In particular, smoking this back to back with Union Square made it obvious that there is a pretty good amount of casing with OGS. OGS definitely burns hotter and has more bite, too.

I generally prefer stoved VA, or matured VA, but if you are looking for something light in flavor that isn't too expensive in a tinned blend, OGS might work.

If you are just looking for an outstanding VA, I'd go with Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake, GL Pease Union Square, Hal O' the Wynd, Old Gowrie, McClelland 5100 over this.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)

I'm beginning to realize pipe smoking is not only an art it is also a profession. Naturally the longer one practices their profession the better at it one becomes and pipe smoking is really no different. I'm half-way through my second tin of OGS, my second tin in 16 years. I now self-profess to be among the "distinguished vertern lot" and as such have come of age so-to-speak. So, I now bill OGS.....as an absolute brilliant mixture, giving off an exquisite citrus taste and a mellow sweet pure white cloud of pure pipe tobacco heaven. It has the same likelihood of biting as my 12 year old Golden Retriever...aint gonna happen regardless of how hard I pull its' tail. This blend shall become a regular smoke for me and I plan ordering many tins of this as soon as SP.Com re-stock their shelves. Highly Recommended X 10!!!!!

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

If there is a term crack on pipe tobacco this is it. I love the tangy taste that this bakky has. What i did was rubbed out the flake and left it over night for about 8 hours and loaded it on my Jim Cooke canadian. It had one of the best flavors I had smoked. I was on that Euphoria that I cant explain. All that great zest was well pronounced. I constantly could smoke this tobacco bowl after bowl and never get tired of it. I bought 30 50g tins to age. This is a must try for someone who wants to try Virginias.Veteran virginia smokers might shy away from this since its a mild smoke. As always every virginias must be smoked with care to get the absolute maximun flavor.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I stuff this into a billiard as a flake, or cut it with scissors into cubes. It is mild, pleasant, good for puttering about in warm weather. It could be a nice change of pace from heavy, or sweet blends. It's no barn burner, but it is well made, and certainly worth a look if you are a fan of Burley-Virginia blends. I prefer the 50g tins for their portability.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: Very sweet, almost cloyingly so. There seems to be some sort of perfume-like undertone, but I cannot nail it down exactly.

Physical Charateristics: wide flakes, mottled in color. Dryer than most, but not crumbly. Rubs out well, and rolls pretty well also. I prefer it rubbed out, so as to use the gravity method of filling. It rubs out into longish strips that need some tearing/cutting to really use the gravity method.

First Light: A burst of sweet virginia flavor, an enormous cloud of white smoke, and we're off to the races. A good sweet virginia, with a pleasant amount of body.

Notes: This is probably the only virginia blend that I can smoke without worrying about whether or not I am going to fry my mouth with it.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (40)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm going against the grain on this one. I like my virginias with a little something else, perique, burley, etc. I detected none of that here. Just a plain hay smelling flake. It folds and burns ver nicely, but there are better blends out there.

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (19)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

There are some very great blends that incorporate PERIQUE....and this is one of them! Nice tin.... the foil wrapper is a welcome sight, the moisture is perfect...the smoke is easy!

Overall a perfect VA/PER. 5 points!

Similar Blends: OLD GOWRIE.

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (8)

A straight forward Virginia blend that never makes me frown and never makes my pipe puke. I could smoke this blend all day but my other blends would get jealous. OGS is consistent with each smoke... burns cool and even, and the taste remains the same all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Mouth watering tobacco goodness... the little guy on the tin agrees.

Pipe Used: Anthony Machelli poker, cheapie basket pipe, cob

AndreaRoberts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AndreaRoberts (2)

As one who's only recently approached pipe tobacco, I am after smooth tastes that do not and boy, do Orlik provide with their Golden Sliced.

A mild smoke that still packs a little bit of a punch, I enjoyed a couple of bowls of this in succession - I could hardly put my bowl down! The flake is of the highest quality and it's without doubt my new favourite evening smoke.

Bought it from: http://www.uktobacco.com/acatalog/Orlik-Golden-Sliced-Pipe-Tobacco-427.html#SID=132 and will be visiting again after they renovated the site.

Pipe Used: GBD

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: UKTobacco.com

Similar Blends: Other mild Virginias.

corncobcolombiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
corncobcolombiano (8)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend for me is always near the top of my list. I consistently really enjoy it unlike some tobaccos that seem to surprise you when you return to them, for better or worse. Great straight red virginia with a tiny bit of perique is what I taste. Elegance, simplicity, beautiful, clean taste. And for me, lightweight with nicotine, it's just about perfect, not as strong as many straight Virginias, though I can even get light headed with a full bowl of this. Great blend to have around, especially for such a great price!

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I try this blend when my friend visit my house and pipesmoking together, the taste is quite mild with straight virginia taste and little bit citrus flavor. Easy to pack and light, not too bad room notes and my wife not complain about the smell. Now i had smoke this stuff for the 3rd tin and i must commit i really like it much. The mature virginia taste so well to puff, grassy with the scent of green tea on the edge and just a little bit spice. There is no intension if this stuff will harm my tongue so bad, but with a slow puff, i really enjoy the mellowness of smoking. Not much perique added to this blend so there is no hars spiceness, just add a little plum taste to enjoy.

Pipe Used: Hardcastle Bulldog

Age When Smoked: fresh and 1 year

Purchased From: Indonesia Local Tobacconist

reflectingdane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reflectingdane (3)

Hi everyone,

I would just clarify, that, because I am danish, I know that our tobacco blenders often don't specify exactly what our blends contain. For example one of the W. O. Larsen blends is just explained with what tobaccos it contains and that it has an aromatic taste, even though it is quite a bit more casing than it is tobacco. And that happens often. Which is the case here, with Golden Sliced.

Earlier, when the tin stated that it was "a virginia with a touch of burley", it was a mistake. It should have said "a virginia with a touch of perique". That is what Golden Sliced is. Now the present description is an example of what I wrote first. Because the contents of it has not changed. It dóes contain perique, as it always has.

Kind Regards, Simon

Edit: Sorry if it sounded like I'm a knowitall, but I couldn't help myself. It is also available in a 200 g tin here in Denmark.

psadair Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
psadair (3)

A very straightforward flake with a rather simple and consistent flavor profile from first puff to last. Lightly sweet virginia hay, a bit of peppery spice, and subtle but bright citrus notes. The flake is of a perfect moisture and consistency to rub and smoke immediately. Very impressed with the effortless preparation needed. I am half through my first tin and at this point I am unsure if I will order again...not because I disliked it...but because there are so many others ahead of it on the list. Enjoyable...but nothing earth-shattering about this variety.

BTGreenwald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BTGreenwald (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is taaaasteeeee, friends. That Virginia burns so cool and sweet in my mizzou cob. I kill a bowl on my commute to work (to and from). Perfect for the morning ramp up and equally perfect for the wind down. Gotta sell those copies. Flake folds so nicely into that bowl. Perfect size, friends.

I get spicy creamy graham cracker banilla smoke!

Yklam1002 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yklam1002 (3)

Just recieved the parcel today, smoked a pipe for the first time and I chose this blend to be my first tobacco. Having been a long time cigarette smoker , i find this blend to be too weak in nicotine as well as taste for me., The more i smoked this blend the more i want to light up a cigarette, however, although the taste and strength was not as strong as i thought, it was pleasant, and i can understand why other people may like it. Overall, I dont dislike it, its just too weak for me.

This is a great Virginia. There seems to be some debate about whether it has any perique. I don't have the most sophisticated palate, but I thought there was a taste of it there. It come out of the tin at a great moisture for me, and I found it easy to tear off a strip (I had the 100 p tin with the long rolled flakes). It is sweet and has a slight orange citrus taste. There is a lot of flavor, and I found it was a great slow smoke in a large bowl. One of my pipes seems made for it, and when the tin was open that was all I smoked in this pipe.

If you think you want to try a tasty Virginia with just a touch of perique, try this. I liked it a lot and highly recommend it.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Golden Sliced isn't a bad smoke. There isn't anything about it that I truly dislike, but there is nothing I find special about it either. I average one bowl per day so I want that bowl to count.

Updated 2014-04-03 I gave this another try and my opinion hasn't changed. I do however want to note that I tried this tobacco as a VaPer and truly enjoy Perique. If there is Perique in this at all, it's not enough to give me the flavor I so enjoy. I imagine this tobacco would be more appealing to the straight VA smokers.

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (8)

Orlik is a must for any Virginia lover. The flakes are beautiful with a light tin note. I feel it's necessary to let it dry for a bit once you rub it out to ensure a good burn. Once lit it has a great flavor. A small taste of hay but for me it had a very pleasant lemon flavor to the tobacco strong in the forefront. I enjoyed this tobacco very much and for the price it's hard to beat. Like other reviews, I didn't pick up any of the Perique but it's a good quality smoke regardless.

UPDATE:I watched a YouTube video that talked about there being a misprint on the Orlik tin. It was supposed to say Burley not Perique so I guess that would explain the lack of Perique in everybody's reviews. Just an FYI!

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (29)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I have to somewhat agree with the review stating that there may be no perique in this. I have been smoking it a while now and had it pegged as a VA with a small amount of burley. In fact, I'd have to say it is pretty obvious to most who smoke it without first looking at Orlik's description. I'm puzzled as to why they would first say it was Burley ... and now change it to perique ... unless it was for marketing purposes. For years, as I understand it, it was described as VA with a touch of burley. Interesting.

As to the tobacco, it is a pretty straight forward VA w a touch of Burley ... as far as I can tell. I did not detect any Perique though I did detect the smallest amount of flavoring which I suppose "could" be a truffle sort of aroma. Truthfully I believe it to be the VA and burley combo .. with a small amount of flavoring on the burley side. My tins are aged a min of two years and the tobacco burns near perfectly. Can't speak to fresh tins, but these flakes are not overly moist and burn right out of the tin. Fresh cut hay aroma with a touch of dried fruit, tiny bit of nuttiness, with the hint of pepper. No bite as far as I can tell, but again, my tins are aged. Combined with the price makes this tobacco a 3 star for sure. Recommend stocking up at current prices.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Improves significantly with age. Bites a little when young. After a year that is gone. Just a very good Virginia smoke. Wonderful flavor, very enjoyable.

PipeBot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeBot (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this tobacco for two reasons. First, it's cheap. Second, I wanted to try out a wider variety of VAs and although Golden Sliced is rated as a lot milder in taste and nicotine than my usual smokes it seemed to have a lot of good reviews.

The flakes are attractively presented and at a good moisture level - perhaps a little drying out required - and the tin aroma has a little less of the dried fruit that accompanies VAs like FVF and a bit more of a zingy, citrus, orange-zest thing going on.

This carries over into the smoke very nicely, flattering the usual grassy or hay-like flavour in the first third of the bowl. I agree with other reviewers that this orange-zest flavour is almost bordering on the bergamot of Earl Grey tea. There is a sweetness to this tobacco reminiscent of the subtle sweetness of a fresh ripe tomato.

For me, this tobacco is a little too mild and lacking in Vitamin N to be an everyday smoke. However, I will be keeping a good amount of this to hand as it really is a great high-quality tobacco for those occasions where I do want something lighter.

I'm a little torn between giving it three or four stars (on my personal scale it's a solid 4/5) but the high-quality of the tobacco combined with the low price land this on the four-star rating.

Edit: I'd note that, while this claims to contain perique, it is virtually undetectable and I certainly wouldn't classify this as a VaPer.

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

this has never, not even once, been disappointing. it's consistently great!

upon opening, there's a citrusy, damp hay-like aroma which is pleasant. the one long strip of flake looks great, too. the moisture level is perfect out of the tin (and pouch...)

rip off a piece, fold and stuff, light, tamp, light, enjoy!

the flavor is quite high-noted at the beginning, cvan be sharp if puffed too hard, but if smoked slowly, yhis is awesome. smoke slowly for full flavor range.

it gets citrusy, earthy, sweet, raisiny, plum-like at times, spicy, it's all there if smoked the right way. I love it and always will have some on hand!

tip: if you reserve a pipe for just OGS, it will be divine...

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I think this is one of the best buys out there for a VAPER. Good price for the 100gr tin and beautifully spun into long strips. Nicely striped dark and light VAs and some perique to give it a nice pleasant sting. This packs well with a little rub and produces a good amount of smoke, very important to me. For a little while, while quitting cigs, I was inhaling this as a substitute and it worked out well...had to stop since I was looking at this as a fix instead of a pipe pleasure. If this is around and I'm looking for something reliable at the local shop I will pick a tin up to cellar or crack open depending on my current stock immediately on hand.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Light enough to be an all day smoke, enough perique to keep it interesting for sure. More success rubbed out but good either way. My first foray into this type of primarily Virginian and I am very satisfied.

The reviews seem mostly accurate to me. Doesn't matter which pipe I use, it burns nice and cool, nice and slow and now I'm quite curious as to how the other flakes I've ordered will stand up to this one. Cus this one works quite well.

If I were a store owner and NooB came in asking for a bunch of aros, I'd say, "Ok, here are some aromatics for you, but you might want to give this one a shot." Seems like all newcomers to the Men of Briar start out this way; too many aromatics. I'm guilty. Now I don't ever go to an aromatic anymore and I'm going to go back and redo my aro reviews.

It is what it is and this all quite subjective. But Orlik, it seems to me, represents what pipe tobacco should be: pipe tobacco and NOT perfume.

Each bowl gets better and better. This one makes my top five. Might not be that way in a year from now but certainly worth keeping a few tins in the cellar.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I really can't add any more to what has already been said about this blend, but I'll toss in my two cents, as well. I've tried several different Navy Cut type flakes in my journey. Some being PS Luxury Navy Flake, Rotary Navy Cut, Dunhill Flake, Full Virginia Flake, etc., but Orlik seems to satisfy and interest me more than others. Everyone knows the qualities of Virginia tobacco; hayish smell, tangy taste, a little citrus flavor.Orlik has all of that, as well as a little spice from the perique.

I've tried a lot of the rest of the flakes and I found them all enjoyable, but OGS is one that i keep coming back to. When it comes to Navy Cut flakes, this one is at the top of my list. It's consistent, flavorful, and burns quite well. It's also cheap as hell (which is definitely something to factor in) and, though PS Luxury Navy Flake is cheaper, this one beats it hands down. I was teetering between 3 and 4 stars and i'll have to say it's a solid 3.7, if anything for me.

Wince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wince (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this when my SG Full Virginia Flake went mouldy in the tin. I wasn't expecting much. How wrong I was!

Upon popping the seal on the round tin, I was greeted with the image of the judge on the paper cover. The smell from the tobacco was very strong and at first, overpowering. The folded flakes would require trimming to get a good measure so with my pocket knife I trimmed off a couple of inches and rubbed.

Smell The tobacco has strong citrus scents with an aniseed/licorish aroma that reminds me of Dandelion and Burdock

When packed, the leaf takes the flame well. This tobacco burns straight out of the tin with no trouble. After a charring light you get into the meat and veg of this smoke. It is a pleasant smoke and the sweet virginia is mellow with the hint of perique (and I meean a hint) rounding the smoke off well. It is nutty in places, creamy in others. The smoke does smell similar ton decent cigarettes but dont let that put you off. It will bite you as VAs do if you chuff too hard at it but this is a pleasant smoke, but one I have to be in the mood for. I have tried this folded as well and the smoke lasts longer and the flavours are more intense

All in all, a wonderfull smoke but one I have to be in the mood for. Have smoked 3 tins of this and it seems to be consistent

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Comes ready to smoke out of the round 50g tin (has a single long flake). Not too wet, not too dry. Rubs out easily. Stays lit. No gurgle. Really nice citrus Seville orange marmalade taste that stays till the end of the bowl - actually concentrates if anything and gets slightly more bitter (not in a bad way). I dont like eating marmalade but as it turns out, I like smoking it!. The perique is only just enough to round out the citrus flavor, which is ideal. No pepperiness. Really nice lingering orange aftertaste. A model of what aromatics should be. Excellent value for money. I cant find a single fault with it, which is unusual for me. This is going into my rotation as the go-to vaper flake.

GNesbitt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GNesbitt (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I picked up a tin of this from my local tobacconist a few months ago and ever since it has been my go-to blend for the everyday smoke. The flake comes to you at a perfect consistency straight out of the tin; not too dry, not too moist. It is easy to pack into the bowl and smokes cool and dry.

The bright Virginias provide a lemony-sweet flavor which is highly complimented by the spiciness and richness of the perique. The taste is almost analogous to lemonade and black pepper. Though this combination might not sound appealing at first, it is surprisingly pleasant upon the first light.

I have had a better experience with smoking this tobacco outside while it is slightly warm out than while indoors. The fresh air pairs fantastically with the smoke.

Overall, this is a great smoke in my opinion. It is nothing fancy, yet it provides a sweet simplicity that many are in search for. However, if you are not of fan of bright tobaccos, this blend is not for you.

Vytis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vytis (2)

A great citrus note is the hallmark of this "must try" tobacco. Having recently discovered this blend by accident I have purchased several tins for cellaring and plan on always having a modest stash available so long as it remains in production and as economically priced as it currently is.

While the quality of the Virginia tobacco used here is good it is not outstanding and what I enjoy about this blend is in the flavoring and topping which overwhelms any quality and taste shortcomings of the tobacco used.

Supposedly both Virginia and Perique are used in this blend but the Virginia is definitely the more noticeable of the two with a "tin" note reminiscent to me of fresh cut hay, sweet Valencia oranges and tangerines. Its a unique mix of notes and flavors but one that smells very fresh and clean.

Having spent the earliest years of my life in Central Florida this blend immediately takes me back to my childhood as the room note of this tobacco reminds me of the early summertime smells of a humid Florida afternoon just after a passing mid day rain-shower has stirred up the pleasing scent of freshly mowed grass and nearby citrus groves.

As to the technical aspects of the smoke itself I found it best to rub the ribbons out a bit and let dry some before lighting when pulling from a 100g tin (not as necessary with 50g tins as the cut is finer). After doing so the tobacco burns well enough but can be a bit wet when fresh especially in Peterson system pipes or any other with a condenser or filter. The result is a heavy liquid which can condense in the system chamber or cause a filter to be necessarily used only once. If smoked quickly this is definitely a blend which can get hot, especially in humid climates and may lead to gurgle so some care is required to get the most out of this blend.

For myself, still living in the tropics, I find this tobacco fits perfectly with the natural smells of the tropical plants and fruit which can be found here in Hawaii. I can also see how others might find the citrus flavoring to be a bit over powering or simply not for them. Overall 3 stars and I would make it 4 if not for the tendency of the blend to be a bit wet when smoking and for the fact that some may not like the heavy citrus note which for myself makes this blend an all time favorite!

alesouza Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alesouza (4)

I started smoking virginias with the excellent Dunhill Flake. Nevertheless, after smoking Orlik Golden Sliced, I had to consider it also a great VA flake tobacco. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys virginias.

Torben57 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Torben57 (1)

I have been smoking this tobacco the last 40 years. It has changed a little in taste and flavour during this period, but it is still an amazing blend. Not too sweet, not too strong but a wonderfull all day tobacco. I live in Denmark, and it is the most popular pipe tobacco in this country. Known as red Orlik

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)

What more can really be said after 250+ reviews? I will agree with most of the positive comments on this one. As far as some of the past comments describing this smelling of cigarette smoke, I disagree. It smelled of sweet grass incense to my wife and I. The only negative thing I have to say about OGS is it dried my mouth something fierce. But a glass of iced tea during the smoke made it very enjoyable.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Beautiful clean flakes. First flavor is fragrant hay. Overall impression is zingy tartness. The smoke (strength) is bolder than the flavor (taste). Not a very exciting smoke but quality tobaccos and satisfying.

Just as an aside, I often mixed a small amount of 1792 flake (which I simply cannot smoke alone) with this and the result was wonderful. The 1792 added depth and sweetness which is somewhat lacking in this tobacco.

Adam_Beckmark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam_Beckmark (10)

One of my first tobaccos. havent smoked it for years now.

Torben Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Torben (7)

25 years ago I smoked Red Orlik and last night I tried it again. What a disappointment. No taste at all. Bland. Boring. Not the sweet, full and fragrant perception I had 25 years ago.

May 2013 I take back my words. Giving an extra star. This is a nice blend. I enjoy it in the afternoon. Not so surprising many facetted as Astley's 55, but a great all day smoke.

August 2013 Great blend. Comforting. Rich. A good friend. Six stars.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)

The long awaited (for me) Golden Sliced is a Golden Virginia flake with some Perique. The tin presentation is very nice, the flakes have a nice hay smell with citrus notes and are easy to fold in the pipe.

The smoke is tangy and at times, very slightly peppery. The topping, if used, is unnoticeable so you really have the sensation of smoking a pure, unadulterated Navy Cut Flake Virginia tobacco that is perfectly spiced. The Perique is used to support the Golden Virginia, giving it more body and that dried prune taste at times and graciously disappearing to allow you to savor a divine offering for a Virginia tobacco lover.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

Great citrus notes in the can. Sweet taste and approved room note. Find that mid bowl this becomes quite bland. Only detect Perique when breathing in side stream smoke. Definitely a background component. As this is not fast burning I can find a tad boring mid bowl and possessing a cigarette flavor as another has mentioned. Towards the end a different note develops and the tobacco takes on more earthiness and is more enjoyable. I have gone through 2 tins in the past year. My best experiences with this come as 1st pipe of the day on a blank palate in a Tsuge with a narrow chamber.

I believe this is a great choice for one taking their initial leap into Va's and flakes. Could definitely be an all day smoke. In my humble opinion, it lacks a bit in the flavor dept. I prefer C&D's Briar Fox when craving a milder VA.

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (25)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

A straightforward bright VA flake. If there's perique in this I'd be amazed. It tastes exactly like what it's Orlik description says - (bright) Virginia with a hint of burley. If it was Virfinia and Perique not burley, Orlik would be breaking EU trades description laws in a big way as well. So I guess it could just be that the one-off statement on a web site that this has perique in it is erm.... wrong.

There's a distinct citrus/orange arome in the tin, but I doubt it's a casing/topping as I've come across other non-aromatic bright VAs and some cigars that have this. It's really a "green (fresh) tobacco" odour that some young leaf has which gets lost with age unless trapped in a tin or cigar tube.

Golden Sliced isn't really like a factory-produced cigarette, but does remind me a bit of hand rolling tobacco such as Golden Virginia (though GV actually has more taste as it's darker cured and contains some oriental). Very grassy/hay like, with no VA low notes or perique spice and richness at all.

Can bite a little if rushed, but has so little flavour that I tend to end up rushing it.

It's not objectionable but to my taste there are far better takes on a mild/medium strength VA flake around. Gawith & Hoggarth's Bright CR, for example, is at least as good, though Bright CR is quite a bit stronger. Sam Gawith's Best Brown and Germain's Brown Flake utterly demolish it, though again both are sronger.

I can see why fans of mild tobaccos would go for it though, so somewhat recommended if that's what you're looking for.

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (14)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I found this tobacco in a 7-11 in Copenhagen. It comes in a 40 grams (not 50 as stated) pouch. The flake cut is in large, folded ribbons.

Most reviewers claim a smell in the pouch of oranges or hay. I personally feel a hint of licorice, definitely pleasurable. It smokes fair and rich, but has mild strength and flavor, no bite, and acceptable temperature. It's a tobacco which I recommend to have around for a long, relaxed, unsophisticated smoke, but having to choose between this and an Early morning, I'd prefer the EM.

I strongly advice to smoke it in a small bowl. Flake burns for a very long time, and unless you want to smoke for hours, a traditional cob will probably be already on the "too big" side. I used a clay pipe and I was generally happy with the temperature of the bowl, which never reached untenable temperatures.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)

Finally got around to this blend. Very good tobacco. Sweet and mild, very much like Stokkebye's Navy Flake. I am very much enjoying these "brighter" type VA/PERs at the moment. Great price for a tin. Try this or Navy Flake if you like a citrus/hay/ VA/PER. All day smoker.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

A delightful, sweet, flavored Virginia blend. Delicious hay, bread, and delicate fruit scents in the tin. Bright and sweet in flavor. There is definitely some of the "juicy fruit" flavor here, but a good, slow cadence will keep it under control so it doesn't dominate. If there is indeed Perique in this blend, I can't taste it.

Definitely recommended for those interested in trying Virginia blends. Not a good example of a VaPer. Highly recommended for those who enjoy lightly topped fruity aromatics.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Jumpin jelly fish! y'all can keep this one she's too young fer me.

cdcherry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cdcherry (7)

I read a review recently that dubbed Prince Albert as a Budweiser blend. Following on that thought, this would certainly be (for those of us familiar with the brew) a Sam Adams smoke. It is a very nice every day blend, but certainly of a higher quality. Could easily do several bowls of this in a day and not be overwhelmed. Good flavor, the sweet notes especially come out through sipping. Still on the quest for the perfect blend with a definite wow factor, but this one gets four stars for the folks at Orlik achieving exactly what they wanted to. Cool, no bite, easygoing and a great sweet hint to it. Enjoying a bowl as I type.

12/13 edit - I am knocking off a star on this one. I still think it is a good tobacco and quite a value in the states, but I recently had another tin of this and I was less impressed than I was with the first one. Also adding to this demotion would be the fact I recently tried Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and I find I enjoy that one more than this.

Original Post

This is tied with the most expensive tobacco I ever purchased. I am not sure which was more expensive, but on vacation in Norway. I happened upon a Tobak shop and bought two 50 gram tins being completely oblivious to exchange rates. It wasn't until I got my credit card bill that I realized I paid nearly 90 bucks for the tobacco.

Technology makes some things just too easy. had I went old school and exchanged my money I would have been much more cognizant of my folly and would have passed and enjoyed the tobacco I brought. But enough of this and lets get to this great smoke.

Orlik knows how to do flakes. Dunhill Flake is my favorite VA and this is likely my favorite VaPer although the Per is very light. It is just a really enjoyable smoke. Tastes sublime. I look forward to ordering some from here at the real price. 4 stars. Buying tobacco in Norway minus 4 stars. :) I think if I was a norwegian piper I would just buy exotic discontinued blends on ebay. If you are going to spend that kind of bank, you might as well enjoy some Sobranie or something like that. lol

Mattias1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mattias1981 (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

One of the best, although a little mild sometimes...

marper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marper (8)

Tried this one out in RYO cig. Makes an excellent smoke. Nice citrus notes. This tobacco smells very nice in the can. To make a RYO cigarette you will need to rub it out and blend it with some other more combustible tobacco and let it dry. This reminds me of a really high end cigarette like Dunhill or Nat Sherman. Well worth the extra money it cost compared to other RYO tobaccos.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

Sweet VA with just the right amount of Perique peppery spice and in a lovely flake format that should satisfy any anal-retentive perfectionist for consistency of flake size and thickness. Presentation in the tin is nice too. At match: VA graham-cracker sweetness with a hint of spice wash over the tongue and gums again and again with each puff - think aftertaste of pumpkin pie spice.

There are slightly finer smoking VA/Per flakes out there (Escudo comes to mind) but for an honest, VA / Per flake in a lovely format with an INCREDIBLE price point this one cannot be beat. Purely based on smoking qualities I would rate as 3+ stars but the value proposition is compelling here and I must give Orlik 4 stars for this fine offering.

Stress Free Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stress Free (2)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I think the person who referred to this excellent pipe tobacco as a "cigarette" tobacco thought that he was reviewing a different brand. This is a flue-cured VA/P flake which is low in nicotine. Hardly conducive to rolling a cigarette.

In my view, it is an excellent any-time-of day tobacco.

Oz Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oz Piper (6)

Purchase this in a 50gm pouch here in Australia. Nice thin Flake that is easy to rub out (BTW this is my first experience with flake. Comes at just the right moisture content so just smoked and enjoyed straight from the pouch. Smokes dry and has a very nice natural sweetness. This will become a staple in my small collection. Good stuff Orlik

RMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMD (5)

An amazing blend that tastes great and burns perfectly. I love the citrus tastes and the perique. I'm going to have to buy more for sure.

Reminds me of bermuda hay. tastes just like it smells. Sweet Bermuda. Love it.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

I have enjoyed this flake. The addition of perique gives the tobacco a slight depth. But really, this is a good to great all day type smoke. Lights, burns, smokes very nicely. Good flavor, with faint hits of grass/hay, and as with Erinmore flakes I smell/taste Juicyfruit gum. Not every time, but often enough that She Who Must Be Obeyed also commented on the fragrance. I recommend this as a sub for Erinmore, as an all day smoke and as a departure from other more strongly tasting Va/Per tobaccos. I will be getting more to cellar. Interested to find out if it gets deeper in flavorings.

Marcas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marcas (4)

Ordered from Denmark, this tin came to me with much anticipation. A wonderful VaPer with just the right amount of the Louisiana tobacco to add body but not take away from the cool, flavorful smoke of top notch Virginia's. A daily smoke and cellar staple, this tobacco is a must have.

scottf345 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottf345 (10)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great smoke easy to light, burns nice, doesn't bite, is inexpensive. Mild and satisfying smoke with a good flavor. Not a complicated smoke but there are plenty of those around. Put it in a pipe, anypipe, rub it out or don't, hot weather cold weather, rain or shine it doesn't matter this tobacco is no delicate genius. So if you don't have the time or the inclination to sit in a room by yourself serching for nuance and just want to smoke your pipe give this one a try.

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)

Comes as two giant flakes, folded, rather than lots of smaller flakes. Quite dry. Rubs out to fine strands. Appearance: medium brown flake. Smell - strong, spicy. Taste - mild at first, perique sharpness coming through later. It's a slightly sweeter, toned-down version of Orlik's 'Bull's Eye'.

DragonBreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DragonBreath (8)

For this review, I sampled the variety of Orlik Golden Sliced that is sold in a 50g. pouch.

Orlik Golden Sliced is presented as a number of long, narrow bands of tobacco that are folded gently into thirds. The color of the tobacco varies from medium brown to light gold, and exhibits a patterning that is similar to the bird's-eye grain that is found on some briar pipes. The moisture content of the tobacco is perfect for smoking straight from the pouch. Aroma is similar to dried apricots or prunes with a hint of something not unlike baled hay.

Upon rubbing out the tobacco for smoking, the scent changes somewhat, becoming more reminiscent of luxury cigarettes. A charring light brings a hint of sweetness, which increases a bit on the second lighting.

In the middle of a bowl, a hint of what must be Perique emerges, and the coda brings a meaty smokiness that is pleasant and fresh. The tobacco is very well-behaved, smoking very dry, and it can be burned to the bottom of a bowl without producing any unpleasant taste or aroma.

Orlik Golden Sliced is a refreshing sort of tobacco that should be welcomed by almost any pipe smoker, and it has become one of my favorite brands for daily use. Although this tobacco is good straight out of the pouch, I would advise that it be allowed to age in a sealed mason jar for three to six months to bring out the best qualities of the tobacco.

Pipes used in testing this tobacco: IMP Meerschaum medium Cutty, Peterson 9S Deluxe, Charatan Special 334DC Brandy, Missouri Meerschaum straight corn cob.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought 2 tins from pipesandcigars.com, as part of a 10 tin purchase. It's already been stated, but I'll reiterate it again - a very mild cigarette flavor, smell with light nicotine character. I'm tempted to roll it up in a paper & smoke it, which I don't want to do, as I quit inhaling 7 years ago (took my cue from Slick Willie)

Perhaps a tad dry, but smoked cool and long. It'll be my a.m. bowl when I get the opportunity, I assume it's consistent as its very mild.

The Pipe Smoking Chemist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pipe Smoking Chemist (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend is another that is worth a try for anyone that's a fan of virginias. I personally don't get much from the perique, but there's something there aside from just the virginia.

I like the presentation in the 50g tin. Unfold the paper with the little seal and you find yourself face to face with several thin slices of deliciousness. The tin note is something akin to sweet hay. The tobacco itself breaks up nicely into long, thin slivers that are easy to cram into your bowl.

Lights up and smokes easy, maybe add some drying time if you're on the first opening of the tin, but I did smoke it straight out of the tin. It has a wonderful, light flavor. I have never gotten any bite from this, but as is key with any tobacco, you have to sip it to really appreciate it.

I find it a fantastic tobacco for any time of the day. It won't weigh you down. With hints of sweetness coming through as you progress through the bowl, it is one of my favorites.

I would highly recommend picking up a tin. While it doesn't compete well with the upper echelon of virginias, it's still satisfying and worth the buy. I purchased my tin for $7 and I think it can easily be found for under $10. Without a doubt, one of the best "bargain" tobaccos around. It's worth every penny.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Not much more to say than: this is the perfect VaPer all-day smoke. Grassy-hayish, slightly orange peel tasting flake tobacco. Lower-Medium N level. Recommended. 4 of 5 stars

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Standard vaper in my rotation. Nicely served flake, which brings the expected natural flavors. Examining the price performance ratio it is also an excellent choice.

Adroidapp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adroidapp (2)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I too can smell the grassy (tea like) smell upon opening the tin. The presentation of the flakes are what I would call "perfection" and the moisture content is spot on with very little drying needed. Rubbing out the tobacco, the pipe is easy to prepare & pack. With the initial light I find it to bellow fumes of rich creamy smoke, with a hint of citrus-like orange peel. Once the initial char is accomplished, it stays lit rather well, and stays nice and smoky just the way I like it. The smoke itself is plentiful but not overbearing to the senses, unless you inhale a big batch. The balance between the Virginia & Perique is spot on, the PH chemistry in the mouth is perfect, not too dry not too wet. I don't tend to smoke the last 1/3rd of a bowl, but with this blend I often find myself finishing it off completely. After emptying the pipe, the bottom was dry, the ashes white. .

This one stays in my rotation, I'm giving this blend 3.6 stars. It is affordable, packages well and is a pleasure is smoke.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

Its OK, its not great- a sometimes tobacco when i want something different. This will taste kinda bad past half way sorta like eating an orange and smoking a cigarette at the same time.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Some people consider this a non-aromatic, but I'll have to disagree. However, it is not a heavily cased aromatic and the main flavor is of tobacco.

The tobacco has a toppint that's hard to miss and, to me, it does come through when smoking. The flavor reminds me a lot of Erinmore Flake, in fact I would think they use the same topping, but this particular blend uses a LOT LESS than Erinmore Flake. Let's just say it's a less aromatic version of EF with a lot more straightforward tobacco flavor and the toping, while present, remains in the background and as a little "extra something" to keep things interesting.

When I rub the flakes the flavor seems a little stronger and I experience some sort of tingle in my nose. I tried folding the flake and smoking it that way and I liked it but it seems somehow mellow.

This is the type of Virginia I like; sweet, citrusy, with the traditional straw/hay feel to it. I think this is the tastiest Virginia flake I have tried and noe one of my favorite smokes.

Those who say it tastes like cigarettes: I honestly don't know what to tell you. I don't think it tastes even close to cigarettes, and you'll know this if yuo have actually ever smoked a cigarette...

Excellent price for the quality too but still a bit pricey. I would buy a pound at a time if they offered it in bulk.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

It's high time I commented on yet another of my dessert island tobaccos. Like an old friend, Golden Sliced is always there as an excellent no nonsence day time smoke that I will never tire of. Typically Danish style virginias, lightly sweet and fragrant and surprisingly smooth for what it is. I will qualify that I do notice a subtle difference in flavour and smoking quality between the larger 100gm tin and the 50g square tin (slices). Don't know why, but I exclusively buy the 100g tin for this reason as the slices seem to be a little more grassy and burns a touch hotter. That said I highly recommend this as a day time smoke with a cup of tea.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Smells like tea...ordered because of the reviews I received and find it to be a bland boring smoke. Dry and as another reviewer stated it resembles cigarettes...which I too don't care for. Will not be buying this again.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

. . . cigarettes in a pipe.

Rather bland, monochromatic and insipid, apart from the cigarettes.

I quite dislike the taste of cigarettes and the smell of them too. This tobacco reminds me of my university days when I thought I was an erudite bohemian rolling my own Gitanes cigarettes; moron.

Thankfully, my eventual father-in-law, even though I did not know that at the time, quickly took me aside: "Why are you farting around with cigarettes. If you're going to smoke THEN smoke"! He carefully and deliberately showed me the virtues of pipes and cigars; many thanks to him over the decades.

This tobacco might be just the thing for a cigarette person in recovery, and it does have a bit of Nicotine buzz.

Simply not my cup of tea at all.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is probably my all time number one smoke. This is the blend that I compare all other Virginia's to. The real comeliness in this tobacco is not only in it taste, but also in its value and age-ability. This is the best value in the pipe tobacco world, in my humble opinion. This blend is often compared to Reiner's Long Golden Flake. In my mind it is better in taste, and the the difference in price is prodigious. If the price was not a good enough selling point then consider this. This is some of the most trans formative tobacco I have ever smoked. It is good out of the tin, but with a couple of years of age it becomes astounding. Being so inexpensive it just begs to be bought in large quantity and put to sleep in the cellar.

There is some debate on its contents. The inclusion of perique? I do not pick up on any. I have also heard tell of a light bergamont flavoring. I am not sure, sometimes I think I can detect it, sometimes I cannot. I do not really care for that matter. It does not matter what is inside, all I know is it is good.

The packaging is so very classy and not overdone, The flakes are uniform and very comely. The moisture level is great right from the tin. This is a high end Virginia flavor, a contralto of the Virginia world if you will. While some Virginia's like Escudo and Wessex Brigade Campaign have dark earthy Virginia flavors, this one has high, bright lemon and grassy hay notes. Just wonderful. If there ever was a desert island tobacco this one may be mine.

fervor06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fervor06 (11)

On the tin it says "Smoked by the shrewdest judges." And this is so true. At least, it was for my uncle Phil. I remember him smoking this tobacco all the time after he would put some punk away for life. I'd like to share some of the story behind this tobacco. How my life was dramatically changed. Now it may take a minute, but please read on and I will share with you how I became a prince in my own regard of a small town in California called "Bel Air"

I was born and raised on the West side of Philadelphia and like most kids I used to spend most of my time on the playground. Mostly just chilling out, trying to maximize my cool and paying basketball outside of West Phil. Elementary. One day a couple of local thugs started making trouble in my living area. I was engaged in one little fight and it frightened my mother so much that she came to me and said "I would like you to move in with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel Air." So I had no choice.

I can recall stepping off of the plane at LAX, and whistling for a cab outside of the airport. When the Taxi Cab approached, I threw my things in the truck and noticed that the license plate said "FRESH", and it also had a dice hanging in the rear view mirror. Immediately i sensed that this town was rare. But I disregarded my initial feelings and told the cabbie "Friend, please take me to Bel Air."

I had pulled up to the house at about 7 or 8 O'Clock and I waved to the cabbie, and told him that I would "Smell him later", since his Taxi smelled so bad that I would probably smell him before I saw him. I then laid eyes upon my kingdom that I had finally arrived at. The throne that would bring me endless amounts of money, popularity, women and power. On this throne I would sit as the Prince of Bel Air.

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)

This is one of those tobaccos that I have found that I prefer to let dry out somewhat before I smoke it.

I find the drier it is the more of the sweet natural flavors come out of the tobacco. I love how cool this can smoke and the room note for me is excellent ( my wife argues with me on that).

a good tobacco for any occasion in my book.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A straight forward Virginia/Burley flake that appears to be high quality leaf. Durning the initial light the smoke seems a bit sharp in the nostrils, but it seems to round out after awhile. I do not detect any orange, but a slight Lakeland essence in both tin and room note. I will enjoy this tin, but I doubt I will buy more.

LightenUp-mypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LightenUp-mypipe (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

If you're looking for a virginia for a nice long relaxing smoke this is a very good one. In the tin to me it smells of alfalfa and black licorice and I get none of the orange that many talk of, however, having removed the flakes from the tin, and smelling the empty tin a few days later, you can easily detect the sweet orange. I don't use the fold and stuff method, I strip, rip and rub by taking thin strips length wise with the grain, then cross rip half inch sections across the grain, then pinch it together and fully rub out. Then pack as your normally would. If you take your time as you should with this you get a long cool slow burning smoke and quite relaxing as this has plenty of nicotine. All virginias I've tried have a sublte flavor that taste a little darker than this. This seems to have a bit broader range of flavor with some high notes. Good all the way through but at the half way point really hits stride with those broad range flavors melding a bit. The orange cannot be tasted by me,but the hint of topping seems to add a little to the natural sweetness of the virginia. The burley adds a little mellowness. For me, it's the quality of the smoke, the range of subtle sweet virgina flavor, and the long cool burn of a relaxing smoke.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

A good virginia/burley flake. Strength is good. A bit bland on the flavour, but nice.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on the 100-gram tin that has been aged for 2 years. The idea of purchasing this blend is to see what a pure virginia will taste like. I ordered 5 tins and just left it on the shelf. Not until recently did I remember the ownership of this blend.

Upon opening the aged tin, you can smell the sweetness of the wonderful virginia, which I never encountered before. The flake is carefully "allocated" into the round tin (I prefer the 100-gram round tin to the 50-gram rectangular, because the former is air-tight) and shows the wonderful gold color, just as the name suggests. It packs well inside a group 5 bowl with no rubbing needed. I take some slice out of the tin, folded twice and pulled into the bowl, and the packing is done. The lighting is somewhat difficult but when it is lit, it never goes off. Perhaps I have this luck because I serve the weeed with a Cavicchi canadian.

The 2-yeard-old gold virginia shows some youth at the beginning, and 5 minutes later the spicy taste is gone, replaced by full and comfortable flux of nice tobacco. Thers is not much surprising change during the entire bowl, but you will know munites bufore reaching the end. Each time the bowl finished, it leaves a fine white ash. And you will feel it just did not last long enough for the enjoyment, although more than an hour has actually passed.

This virginia is second to none. Highly Recommended!

Struggling.Thinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Struggling.Thinker (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The tine note on this one is a sweet (perhaps overly so) orange smell. The flakes feel a little sticky to the touch when taken right from the tin. The combination of the smell and stickiness turned me off a bit --- prior to lighting up.

The orange taste is present, but not overbearing, in the first half of the bowl. It diminishes somewhat in the second half. This flake can yield a little moisture in the bottom of the bowl, even when dried a bit. The taste is mostly unidimensional, but that's ok. I would say that the nic level is on the mild side, but you should note that I smoke (and LOVE) Irish Flake.

It is a decent, consistent, simple flake. It is well loved by many. I will keep a 100g tin around, but I won't stock up on it. I can see that the unidimensional and orange-ish taste would wear thin if smoked throughout the day.

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

First I'd like to congratulate Pipe Stud on his 1000th review. Where do you find the time; not just for writting but the pleasure of smoking that many blends.

I've been seeing this in stores for years and never could bring myself to purchase it until the B&M was just about out of everything. I don't know if it was the tin color, the logo or the Orlik name but I did myself a disservice my waiting so many years.

This blend smoked cool and effortlessly all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The sugar topping is not over the top and is pleasant through the entire smoke. Could easily be an all day smoke. I'll be purchasing more.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is about as straight-foward of a tobacco as you can get.

VA and burley...and I think there is more burley in this than a "touch" which probably accounts for the stronger nicotine strength of this blend. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

If there is a topping to this blend it is probably just a slight bit of "sugar".

I would recommend this to folks who like to smoke tobacco for the taste of tobacco. That being said I enjoy smoking it very much.

cfbender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cfbender (2)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Got a tin of this a little bit ago and am loving it. Nice Va Burley flake with definite hay taste. I can taste a bit of the citrus but I can definitely get the sweetness coming through. A classic and will be a staple in my rotation.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)

I'm new to the world of virginia flakes, and the only previous experience i've had with Va flakes are SG's Full Virginia Flake.

Tin note is a grassy/hay smell and very (very) faint hints of citrus/fruit.

This stuff tastes really good. Its consistent, flavorful, and mildly sweet. As you progress through the bowl the sweetness fades and, as someone else mentioned, the faint fruit/citrus taste becomes slightly more apparent. Also, at about the half way mark, I begin to get a slight nutty note, which must be the burley peaking its head through the mix. Good burn all the way down to the finish for me.

This tobacco has a good consistent flavor, burns great, has a nice straight semi- sweet taste, and is just a good quality leaf. Little to no bite.

All in all i would definitely recommend this tobacco, especially to the new pipe smoker who is looking to venture into the world of Va flakes.

3.5/4 stars.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Opening a tin your greeted with a nice and somewhat firm aroma of hay and alfalfa. In fact the first thing that popped into my head when the smell hit me was that of a horse stall and I have to admit I was a little put off by it...After letting the tin sit for 4 months the citrus is really starting to come out in the tin note.

This is good stuff. A wonderful straight up tobacco taste. This has become one of my all day, every day smokes.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The newly open tin gives off scents of berries and oranges. Eucalyptus-like coolness. These aromas seem like a mixture of artificial and natural flavors in the liberally applied casing - it is Danish after all. But it's light and pleasant. Tasty and natural aromas persist, orange juice, blackberry jam, Earl Grey tea, curing hay, lemon zest, molasses cookies, and sweet bright Virginia leaf.

Beautiful flakes rub out easily. Burns OK.

In the mouth the casing, while more than a little assertive, doesn't completely overpower the tangy-sweet flue-cured Virginia slightly muffled by the shot of Burley in the mix. Definitely some soapy moments (reminds me of Ennerdale Flake but not quite as perfumed). Not too hot, but not too cool either. Between the floral, sour notes of the topping and the sugary Virginia blend, the word that comes to mind is “muddled”. This tobacco is pleasant enough, but it doesn't seem to know what it's supposed to be. Later in the bowl, sometimes the floral undertones turn bitter and unpleasant.

This is a confusing review for me, reading the previous posts, I see that many have experienced the tobacco that I have. But many others have described a straight, natural Virginia / Burley blend. ( As does the label ). Maybe Orlik is using a different blender or something.

Surely something has changed. The stuff I'm smoking tastes unmistakably like rose soap. You can taste the tobacco, and it is pleasant, but there is no way anyone could mistake the stuff in my 50gm tin for a natural non-aromatic tobacco blend.

I think what we have here is a change of blender or a change in the recipe. I think we're all reviewing two different tobaccos. I'll try to find an example of the straight tobacco version, it sounds delicious.

Given my experience with this one tin, I can't, honestly, give it more than 2 Stars. Shrewd judges be damned.

dack_x Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dack_x (1)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was afraid I wouldn't like it, because I imagined it would have an unpleasant artificial orange flavoring. I'm glad I took a chance and tried it. Good stuff. I'm smoking it right now in my Savinelli Baronet Bruyere #611EX.

This may sound weird, but one time I accidentally got some moisture down in my pipe and sucked it up. It actually tasted good, but it just seemed wrong. I don't plan on making a habit of it. :-)

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)

I usually smoke this flake using a “modified” fold and stuff method. After the initial step of folding it cross-wise, instead of folding the flake length-wise as one would in the standard fold and stuff method, I roll it and mush up the bottom of the roll. I also partially mush the [rolled] body of the flake forming sort of a square. This allows air to pass through the tobacco for easier burning. I insert the roll of tobacco into the chamber leaving a little more than 1/6 or 1/8 of an inch from the top. I then mush up the top of the flake to near ribbon consistency then insert the whole tobacco into the chamber. Breaking up the top of the flake to near ribbon consistency allows for easier lighting. Depending on the depth of the bowl, I sometimes take ½ or 1/3 of a flake and rub it to ribbon consistency and put it on top of the rolled flake. This will serve as tinder and will allow for even lighting and a cooler smoke (at least to this reviewer's personal experience).

This is one of my favorite VA flakes. It just has the right amount of flavor and strength to make it an all day, every day smoke. It's a deliciously mild VA flake with a slight hint of sweet nuttiness to it. I really enjoy this tobacco and consistently order it. For those who are just getting into VAs, this would be a great intro.

However, as with any Virginia, it must be smoked slowly to avoid tongue bites, and to get the best smoking experience.

This comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED with 4 STARS!

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

Just lit some up. First impressions:

Bite! This stuff burns REAL hot out of the tin, hotter than any VA I've tried yet. Seriously, upon lighting I really thought I was blistering my tongue. However, the flavor seems pretty delightful. Almost a halfway point between the mellowness of a red such as 5100 and the bright, slightly stronger Dunhill Flake, which is great to me, since I find the former a bit too mellow and the latter a bit too pungent(?). Produces more smoke than other VAs I've had; I like this. We'll see how it goes. I DEFINITELY need to dry it out some to try to get rid of that steam and bite though. Puff gently! I'm smoking out of a thick-walled pipe, and it's actually hot to hold. This will definitely move to my 14" churchwarden.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Did I mention that I have become a shrewd judge?

Flake style, not too weak or too strong, very pleasant taste (fresh hay + bergamot, nicely done), reasonably pleasant room note and a price that's unbeatable for tinned tobacco. I think that about covers it. What's not to like ?

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)

I think flake tobacco is a lot of fun, and this is the first flake I tried. I much prefer it to Erinmore and Dunhill flakes. I pack this by rolling out a small piece for the bottom of the bowl and then folding a flake or two to pack the rest of the bowl. This insures an easy draw and cool smoking. The tin aroma is of sweet hay, which is also present in the flavor. There is also some mild citrus and a touch of nuttiness from the burley. This tobacco is long-burning and consistent in terms of flavor. I don't find that it changes character much throughout the bowl, which I can appreciate. I would not describe this as complex, just good and faithful. It's a very relaxing smoke--good when you have the time to sit back and enjoy a pipe without interruptions.

troyn60 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troyn60 (2)

I'm now on my second tin of this, and it's turned in to my "what would I smoke right now if I could have anything?" smoke.

I didn't get the citrus note from the tin like others have gotten, but one more like tea. The moisture was pretty much right on time, as it didn't need any drying, and with the typical charring light and second light after that, went all the way down with no relights. It did clog up the bowl a little bit, but that's more due to my filling technique than the tobacco.

I give this blend four stars, purely on flavor. I wouldn't care if it smelled like burning tires in the tin, or was as dry as my hands in the winter, or if I had to relight it 14 times over the course of the bowl. It's simply delicious. I've never tasted any kind of VA like this before, and I smoke VA's almost exclusively. At times I get a good pure tobacco flavor, other times I get buttered bread, other times I get a sweet tea-like flavor. I know that this is supposed to be pretty one-dimensional (according to a lot of people here), but I just don't get that. I've gotten several different flavors from this tobacco, and all of them are better than anything I've ever smoked. And by it's strength, it can be an all day smoke.

Go get some.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is just a good solid tobacco. It packs well, lights well, has enough N kick, is flavorful, doesn't bite ( can't push it), is priced right. Part of my rotation for my "N" fix. An all time all day tobacco. The End

conicallybored Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
conicallybored (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Slow and steady wins the game. Orlik Golden Sliced reminds one that mildness, constancy, and unassuming character often prevail over flash, passion and arrogance. Golden Sliced is not exciting. Its name does not intrigue, its tin is not beautiful. Nonetheless, it has won me over with its cool, mildly-sweet, slow-burning offer of smoking pleasure.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)

This flake have a light citric smell once you open the tin, but tastes just like a delicious Va with a little Burley content. Slow burning, medium flavor and cheap. Awesome

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)

This is just a plainly good tobacco. Nice and mild with mild natural flavor. A good pipe for a relaxing time with a good beer. Definitely worth the occasional bowl full.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This flake is definitely a bargain. This is a mild flavor and strength blend. It is not complex and does not take much concentration but it is good. The brighter virginias and burley play well together and makes for a smooth mild smoke. I tend to enjoy stronger, fuller tasting blends but this is a nice change for when I am in the mood for something lighter and brighter. Recommended.

adjman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adjman (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am still quite a newbie, but seem to be developing a taste for flake. I started on Dunhill Flake and enjoyed that immensely, and Orlik Golden Sliced is a superb follow up. Very smooth, an excellent subtle light flavour and no bite at all. Smoked in a good old corn cob, it is a superb smoke. Definitely one for long summer evenings :)

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

If you are new to Virginias this will surprise with the nicotine. It is slow burning and can bite. No need to relight and I rubbed out the flake in a pot stylee connoisseur pipe. It gurgled, but it was a new tin and the wrong pipe fir this. A hearty taste a vague currant flavor to this golden stuff. I haave mixed feelings so far it isn't unpleasant but for now I will share this with someone who might appriciate this more. I will store this for later but it is not for me.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

A real bargain in the Virginia Flake genre.

Nothing earth shattering here....just an enjoyable, milder smoke.

Nice presentation in the tin...burns clean with no bite.

Virginia smokers should give this one a try if only for the quality to price ratio.

A solid *

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the Earl grey of pipe tobacco! Pouch aroma is a hay-like, sugary, clearly Virginia scent with a strong bergamot note. Packing and lighting is easy, however the weird long flake strips in the pouch version are a bit tricky to fold and stuff which, as mentioned in earlier reviews, is probably the best way to smoke this tobacco. This is a minor quibble however; the tobacco tastes lovely either way you stuff it! From first light to the heel, it delivers an almost exceedingly sweet smoke with a tea-like bitterness and a strong citrusy bergamot flavour. Room note is also sweet, however quite smoky; quite like incense actually. All in all a highly recommended Virginia flake.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)

Easy to buy and at reasonable price with a good strenght and taste makes this flake a go too.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

Just tried this one for the first time today, smoked with just fold/pack into Savinelli Leonardo IV Smooth (a great pipe for smoke'in flake BTW) and it smoked like a dream, a few relights but once going it was FANTASTIC...

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I put off trying this famous blend for quite awhile because I feared the casing would put it into erinmore territory.. what a surprize it was upon lighting to find such a natural and delicious if somewhat light tobacco flavor.. as others have stated the smell of the tin is nothing like the experience of the smoke. It is mainly virginia that comes through.. with a discreet hint of citrus and burley.. It smokes like a dream.. really a great flake to work with.. Now I will have to stock up and age some.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

As some have noted, there is a slight tin smell of orange and hay but there is no hint of any casing once it is lit. The blend doesn't actually seem to be a blend at all - it appears to be all bright Virginia leaf. As a result, the smoke is monochromatic and very bland. It tastes like roll-your-own cigarette tobacco. Normally the room note of a tobacco isn't very bad if the blend is bland but my wife complains "it stinks like stale cigarette butts" when I light this stuff up. Rather than throw it in the trash I'll toss it in my leftovers jar.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Orlik Golden Sliced… One of my favorites.

Who said Virginias blends have too bite, this one sure doesn't. A very flavorful and user friendly blend.

Easy flake light up, followed by those wonderful slightly sweet Virginia flavors, and a room note of freasly cut alfalfa hay. It's all there, including a good price.

I try to avoid stronger tobacco blends, because they quickly destroy my ability to taste anything else, such as the delicate flavors found in this blend. This tobacco is not some flash in the pan, it's been around for some time now, and has a strong following, myself included. For what it is, a mild, sligtly toped, inoffensive blend of Virginia tobaccos, 4 stars. My personal rating of 4/5

Charlie Allnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charlie Allnut (16)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Great price. An affordable Scandinavian Virginia flake. The flakes are generous in size and each provides a long smoke. Beautiful presentation. Easy to light and keep lit. Smokes easily without getting hot or wet. It tastes and smells strongly of liqourice, which I do not care for. But it is a lighter application of that sweetener than in Solani or Kolhase, Kopp & Co. blends. In fact, it would be ideal for those who love the Long Golden Flake: more affordable and a lighter casing. I won't buy it again, just because I prefer my Virginias in a more pure and unflavored form.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

The constituency of this blend seems to be very like Orlik's Rubbed-out Mild Honeydew. However, unlike that blend, this one is a good smoke. The tobacco seems to have been better married, or perhaps better aged, or perhaps the flake simply allows it to mellow and come together better. This tobacco comes in a little square tin, as wide, thinly sliced, dark flakes. Unlike a lot of flakes, though, Golden Sliced is at a very nice moisture level. The aroma in the tin is nicely sweet and slightly pungent. The charring light brings a good mix of the Virginia sweetness and the burley nuttiness. Once lit, the nuttiness seems a bit more in control of the taste, but there is a good level of sweetness underneath. Lighting the pipe is as easy as you could ask of a flake, taking just a couple of passes of flame for the char, followed by a tamp and then a couple of passes to light the pipe. It remains lit easily, providing for a pleasant, long smoke. One of my complaints about Rubbed-out Mild Honeydew was the heat/tongue bite I found in the blend. I didn't find that problem here. The Virginia is still there, reminding the smoker than over-puffing could lead to bite, but it never happens. Rather, the blend remains mellow and flavorful. The taste somehow reminds me of pretzels, without the saltiness, of course. The tobacco flavor doesn't vary a lot through the bowl. The flavor of the burley remains a good constant, adding that pretzel-nutty taste, but the sweetness and creamy taste of the Virginia is never lost. By the end of the bowl the burley's nicotine level makes itself known, especially to smokers not used to burleys. Golden Sliced is, in my opinion, a good smoke. This is a tobacco I'd absolutely recommend to smokers interested in expanding their horizons to include some burley, and also to Virginia smokers as a nice change. I think it's a blend I'll try to keep around.

TNLawPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TNLawPiper (5)

A lot has been said about this blend, and I agree with much of it. This is an excellent Virginia-Burley blend, and it doesn't grow old on me. If you're the type to smoke Virginias almost exclusively, you really should not pass this one up.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

The flakes are generous in size. The price is right, usually a couple of bucks less than comparable tins.

Cased with licorice and perhaps a little honey.

But this tobacco is nothing special.

Maiser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maiser (3)

Most blends do not receive a four star rating from me, but this is a well-made exception.

I air one flake out for about 4 hours (my room is rather moist, so it takes a while to dry out) and fold it in half and into the chamber of a 2cm width by 4cm depth tinsky lovat (my VA flake smoker) when I smoke this flake.

Flavor profile is excellent, very richly sweet, sort of sweet hay-like taste, with a good body (the burley does it's part to add to the composition without really becoming a taste factor). If you puff on it lightly and treat it right, some citrus notes will come through, which I have been told by Adam Davidson are not because of any flavoring added, but are natural to the tobacco.

It is not spicy like darker VA's (Full Virginia Flake or Dark Star, to name a few)

My tin is about 3 years old, so I have no judgment of this tobacco when it is younger, but what I have now is excellent. You can't beat this tobacco for a great VA flake, and the price is great too.

4 stars.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)

this comes to you in long sided flakes.Out of the tin it is grassy and mild, like hay on the fields. Easy to fold and stuff into your pipe. I used large medium and small bowls. Very easy work with. First light no further relights necessary. Easy to smoke. Tastes like a good va should, not too much of burley although it´s there, but it vanishes somewhere, which i don´t mind. Good amount of smoke, not too much nicotine. Exellent for starters, easy to use tobacco.

TheWhiteAfrican Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWhiteAfrican (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Delicious! I received two tins as a gift, and I left them in a preservation box for a few months. One day, looking for tobacco again, I stumbled upon them, and decided to 'pipe it up.' Simply wonderful. The taste is absolutely...pleasant, as this site gave me the option to say. Smokes long and smooth, nice and even, with a room note like a good, rich candle with a quite dashing Dane on the front. It was a bit large of cut, but toying with a herbal grinder helped it fit right into my favorite cob, and provided a wonderful smoking session. This blend comes highly recommended!

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (37)

Update May 19 2011:

This tastes fuller and rounder than I remember it from bowls smoked ten years ago, and it is smoother, too. It is lightly cased, with a pleasant non- tobacco and tobacco tin aroma. It burns well, especially in a "dry but maleable" condition.

I do not taste any Perique, nor smell it in the tin. Certainly the grassy, hay and citrus side of Virginia and burley blends. I like it most rubbed up, packed a little lighter than normal for me. This shines in cobs and briar. I have not tried it in meerschaum or clay.

This did not change up flavors for me during the smoke, but stayed flavorful throughout, never bitter, sour or ashy. It is very friendly to my mouth. I think this is destined to be something of a classic smoke, perhaps a Prince Albert notched up a couple or three levels. Oh, it much reminds me of Dunhill's FLAKE with a slightly different top note. _______________________

I smoked this years ago and it was a bit light in flavor to satisfy what I was after. It was, however, a decent, quality tobacco of impeccable presentation. I have ordered more and will review once the tin is finished.

However, below was taken from the Villiger-Stokkebye website on 11/27/2010. Note that 'Perique' is included in the content description. Whether I will note its influence when smoking GS remains to be seen. My bet is that it will profile similarly to PS LNF.

"ORLIK GOLDEN SLICED Tobacco selection: Louisiana Perique adds zesty new life to the flavor of flue- ccured Virginia tobacco. Tobacco cut: Traditional flake slice cut. Tobacco Flavor/Aroma: This attractive, non-aromatic blend encompasses a delectable span of flavor intensities from mild to medium in strength."

Country Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Piper (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am usually found smoking a good English/Balkan. I decided to try this as I had heard good things about it. I was pleased when I opened the tin and found a wonderful aroma and just the right moisture content. I loaded up one of my Bjarne's and was very satisfied with the results. This tobacco has a great room note. This stuff lights very easy and does well all the way to the end. I would suggest this to anyone who may not smoke many VA's. You wont be unhappy with this blend although I am now because I just ran out.

snuffysmiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snuffysmiff (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Having run out of University Flake, I moved on to this. I look on it as UF's wee brother. Kind of sharp, especially at the start, but developing nicely into the bowl. Just a lovely tasting tobacco which comes as a great big flake folded into the tin. Peel some off, dry it a little and heaven awaits.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Yea definitely a keeper this one. When I first opened the tin I could smell a citrusy kind of hay smell. It was also quite dry, just right to smoke.

Smoked cool and grassy. Is a very pleasant Burley/VA. As I say, one should always have a tin of this lying round.

It's cheap as chips for a premier blend as well, about £8 for 50gm in the UK.

221B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221B (9)

I really like this offering. I had asked elsewhere where I could find a similar blend to Capstan Medium Navy cut as this was JRR Tolkien's favorite blend. Since this can not be found in the US, Orlik was suggested as being similar. Its a nice smoke for sure while reading outside....which is how I experienced my first taste of it today. About 3/4 of the way down, I got a nice thick smoke and a good hit of the nicotine which was nice but not overpowering. Really enjoyed the moment.

Citrus undertones and an nice VA aroma. This is top quality tobacco for sure.

Sea Green Sky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sea Green Sky (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had previously rated OGS four stars but I think Orlik have recently either changed the tobaccos they use or changed the processing somehow. The last three tins that I've had are not up to the usual standard. It no longer has the brightness and snap it once had and is now just plain boring. Very sad.

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)

Enough has been written about this lovely smoke that I have little to add. I liked it so much I felt compelled to add another 4-star rating. I would like it even better if the flavor were stronger, but will roll with the 4 stars.

This is one I shall be shrewd enough to keep on hand.

TheSneetch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSneetch (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, this tobacco has prompted another first time reviewer in me. Out of all of the tobaccos I have smoked in the past few months, this is by far the best. I have developed a sort of love/hate relationship with this blend. Not because there is anything wrong with this tobacco, because I can't imagine it getting any better than this. Rather because it has rendered the rest of my tobacco collection virtually unsmokable.

My tin of OGS ran out recently, and I have been frantically searching my collection for something to fill the void while my next order is en route. My conclusion; there is no substitute.

The flavor is clean and satisfying. The nicotine level is perfect for me. The casing; if there is one is so subtle that it could just be confused as the natural uniqueness of this tobacco. Whatever it is, it's citrusy, clean and extremely satisfying. Not overdone at all.

The price is so low that it might be overlooked as a "cheap" tobacco. Don't let the price tag fool you. This is a world-class tobacco, and everyone should at least give it a try.

I would like to continue searching for better tobaccos, but I'm going to have a hard time getting motivated when I have three 100g tins of this wonderful blend sitting around.

Both beginners and experienced smokers should be able to find something in this tobacco to enjoy. If you want to try a top-notch Virginia, add this one to your list. Highly recommended.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)

My first four star rated blend here, probably not my last.

Some have said they detect Bergamot, as in the flavour of Earl Grey tea. I would go a step further and say it reminds me of Lady Grey tea: an Earl Grey with a citrus hit. Yes, this 'baccy smells of tea, Bergamot, and citrus. I love Earl and Lady Grey teas, so guess what?

Four stars. Period. (The alfalfa scent is there as well, so farm boys rejoice!)

There is more to love though.

Presentation- A foil wrapped tin of neatly cut flake (in the 50g tin, at least). Can flakes look any more delicious?

Smoke- It's why you buy it, after all. Light on the tongue, nary a bite, pleasant to snork...unless you like to have your senses assaulted by heavy smoke only, it's a keeper. Room note is pretty good for a straight blend too...The missus didn't say anything, pro or con, on the subject...an endorsement of sorts, if you will.

Price- Well, you got me there..sort of. I bought my cellared stash about 6 months ago at $5 a pop...it's now closer to $7...still, $7 is a relative steal...shop around, you'll see.

The only con you'll get me to admit to I glossed over a second ago: sometimes it comes off a bit too 'mild'. This is only a hinderance, to my mind, if you are looking for a single 'baccy to smoke from here on out, AND you like in your face flavour. Sippers, take heart! Tokers, keep an open mind!

Do not pass this one up guys, because it's cheap, or made by Orlik, or whatever excuse you usually go with. If you like VA's, it's worth the few bucks. If not, mail me the remains of your tin...I'll see it gets cremated properly.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Sweet and mildy tangy bright Virginias in beautiful light flakes with a touch of burley, noticeable enought to round up the taste of this great tobacco. I also love the small tin, which is very practical to carry around in your pocket.

No tongue bite, nice burning qualities, mild taste and subtle nuances for the contemplative Virginias smoker.

dieubussy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dieubussy (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This Golden Sliced brand started in 1958 under the name Red when Orlik Tobacco Company initiated producing tobacco in Denmark. I don't claim to have known that initial brand although the recipe is said to have been kept intact up until now.

Regardless of that, I am by definition an admirer of all Orlik flake tobaccos due to their consistency and their noticeable - though not overwhelming - tastes. This variety is best bought in round 100g tins where the tobacco comes in a beautifully curled form with a flake that is several centimeters long and easy to cut accordingly. This tobacco is something precious, its light brown color complemented by the freshness of its natural scent.

In the bowl, it's easy to detect is citrus essence. While the small burley details give it a delightfully sweet charisma, the Virginia is predominant in the blend: sometimes the VA is so light within the flake composition it enables the tobacco to burn very well if a little faster than other known VA Flakes (perhaps faster than Full Virginia Flake).

Even the smoker who does not enjoy the taste of Virginia tobacco will have to agree as to the shrewdness of the blender who, sixty years ago, brought us this treat: fortunately I hold that leaf in high regard so not only I can vouch for the quality of this tobacco as I take great pleasure from it. Rarely will the pipe smoker find a tobacco more honest than this. There is a great purity to it, something which leads up to some of the most enjoyable moments I've ever had with a briar in hand.

(http://thedailypuffer.tumblr.com/)

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I want to judge...who am I kidding? I love to judge! But at the same time I want to be a shrewd judge! unfortunately I'm just a shrewEd housewife who happens to love smoking pipe and VAPERs. Now, lose the "PER" with this one, you get a "VA" here which simply shines through if you happen to catch the right amount of humidity... Though you either won't be judged or get humiliated if you can't at first try. And yeah right, smells like hay but tastes much better ;)

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I didn't know what to expect with this tobacco. I love flakes and I love Virginia's, so I thought, why the hell not.

I guess I was expecting something like Erinmore Flake. I would have been happy if it was just as good as that, but it's much, much better.

The tin note is awesome. Just pure tobacco in there. Sweet and inviting. Very handsome flakes, perfect moisture level. Lights easy and stays lit, providing a long, cool smoke. No bite, no gurgle.

The taste for me is absolutely spot on. How I went this long without trying this stuff is beyond me. I shall mourn those wasted years.

It's pretty one dimensional, but that's okay. The base flavors it offers more than make up for it. Sweet, fresh and simply glorious.

Highly recommended for VA lovers like myself.

moresco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moresco (4)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

UPDATE: After more bowls I need to admit it have some qualities I need to write about. The smell in the tin brings me cigarete, BUT behind this, there's a nice citrus like aroma. No doubt about the good quality of the tobacco. Tastes well if smoked slowly. That said, I have to give it one more star.

PPREVIOUS: Against the flow, I didn't like it. It's well packed, in fact, it looks beautifil in the tin: two rows of well cutted flakes, wraped in a golden paper. The cigarete smell made me sad just when I opened the tin. It's my first flake, but didn't have much trouble to pack. Easy to lihgt. Easy to smoke. But it tastes just like cigarete. I think I'll take a long time to try virginias again. The room note is totally cigarete too. Not good to me, but I think I'm not a virginias lover.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I got a round 50g tin, which contained not slices (despite the name) but a wad of long strips of flake folded at both ends to fit in the tin. I find this presentation to be very attractive. I just tore a couple of bits off and folded and stuffed.

The smell in the tin is a little citrus-like, but once you smoke it, this does not carry through. I'd call the flavour 'boring' - but in a good way. Just mild Virginia tobacco. Room note will not please non-smokers (will anything?), as it's basically just a cigarette smell. I found it a little bitter, especially after a relight.

Overall, not bad, but not great either. I much prefer Erinmore Flake, which is also blended by Orlik. But I'll finish the tin, and we'll see.

UPDATE

Well I'm sure this is highly unorthodox, but I'm raising my mark from 2 to 4 stars. This has really grown on me - I'm smoking it right now as I type. I don't know why I didn't like it from the start. Lovely, mild, creamy, nutty, natural tobacco taste. PErhaps it benefitted from drying out a little.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I nice flake tobacco thats a good all day smoke that reminds me of MacBaren Navy Flake but without that soapy flavor.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (12)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you prefer aromatics(which I do), this may not be the smoke for you. It's not bad, but just not for me.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I am happy I finally ordered some Orlik Golden Slice as I find it a delightfully refreshing Virginia blend. The presentation was two rows of neatly stacked flakes, a mix of medium brown and golden blonde, and the tin aroma was sweet lemon and a bit of mild tea essence (I waffled between tea and perfumy and decided it more tea-like). Moisture content of the flakes just perfect, making for ease in removing and folding for smoking. I smoked this fresh from the tin. The tin aroma translated into the taste throughout the entire bowl. Only a slight bit of moisture at times that I attributed to its freshness. It lit without a problem and required very few re-lights. There was a spicy-sweet taste upon lighting, remaining throughout. My tin label says Virginia and a touch of Burley, adding a minimal amount of body not normally present in Virginia tobaccos. I honestly could not detect the presence of Perique as described on the Peter Stokebye website and as commented on by several of the reviewers - for me, a good thing as I don't care much for Perique (my recently purchased tins list Burley and not Perique on the rear label). The spicy taste was typically Virginia in character but not overdone. Not cigarette-like or ashy at all. Burning down to a nice whitish/light gray ash. Burns quickly but without any bite whatsoever, and never bitter.

All in all, I enjoyed this Virginia blend and it will enter into my Virginia line-up. In spite of the sweet casing, I tasted good quality sweet Virginia throughout. It is a high quality smoke and comes in at a fantastic price when compared to other Virginia flakes sold in 50g quantity. This is one of my top favorite Virginia flakes. A while after opening a tin of GS, the flakes take on a darker color along with an increased depth of flavor and very delicious. I give it 4 stars.

UPDATE 8-23-10: Gets better and better with aging. And really drying this out near crunchy I find the taste profile is superior. I would suggest this to anyone wanting to try a Virginia for the first time. With slow puffing (and not because of any bite whatsoever) you are rewarded with an increasingly sweet Virginia flavor and a matching side-stream aroma of sweet character. Said to have been the late, great Peter Stokkebye's favorite tobacco blend.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Orlik's Golden Sliced:

From all of the "Mild" and "Very mild" notations in the header of this blend that I've given the reader might get the impression that this is a bland tobacco. Far from it! This tobacco despite the frendliness of it is anything but tasteless. It is very tasty and just as accomodating as well.

I have to state right off that I am not a big Burley fan but with this flake it doesn't seem to bother me and indeed it rounds out the whole flavor package. That is, if I could taste it as a separate entity which I definitely don't. I read somewhere (I believe it was a Greg Pease article)that most blends that don't specifically say they contain no Burley probably do have some. I suppose that that's true and this tobacco states that it does have it. But what that percentage could be is anybody's(other than the blenders')guess. Whatever it is it is not an obtrusive or heavy amount in any case.

I find it difficult to welcome the dawn each day without this tobacco and a cup of French Roast coffee. Being a bit greedy and not planning my purchases in an over-effective manner I am presently running very low on this tobacco. A good but not perfect substitute is Stokkebye's Bullseye flake/rounds. It is not a perfect match since Stokkebye uses a touch of Perique in that blend but since I do enjoy Perique quite a bit my cravings are fairly well soothed in the absence of Orlik's Golden Sliced at times and temporarily. The Sam Gawith and Gawith and Hoggarth flakes of similar constituents also help.

Flavoring? I don't know---Great flavoring. I don't have the delicate and discerning palate of most of the contributors to this site but whatever the flavoring is I just love it. It's there but I just don't care what it is and would miss it were it absent.

Strength? That I've already discussed ad naseum so enough has been said about that.

Convenience: Well it lights well and burns even better with little or no relights. (As a sort of a side note I don't get all this hoopla about relights. Unless it a really excessive number for a truly soggy tobacco I've always felt that relights were part of the game.Pipe smoking is after all a "forced air system" and not learning to pace yourself will guarantee the tobacco ceasing to burn)

It's particularly useful I feel when used as a stalling tactic during difficult converstaions. So no problem especially with this tobacco.I've met very few people(smokers and non-smokers included) who will interrupt a pipe smker during that holy moment of relighting -even when it is not really needed.

Appearance- I would be hard-pressed to find a better looking tobacco especially with a better aroma in the can.

My tobacco tastes run from the Mild(Orlik's and the Kendals) to the much more robust(some of the Kendal and strong Latakia blends) and I enjoy them all at different times for different reasons.But for the mild side this tobacco, in my opinion, can't be surpassed.

Great Job, Pete!

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn 3:30 a.m. and truckin'

Update;

Welllllllllll, When you're wrong you're wrong and I was wrong. Going to the Villiger-Stokkebye site on the internet I found out that Golden Sliced does have Perique included in the blend. I like it even more now and it comes closer than before to the Bulleye Slices/rounds by the same company. "Fellow Traveler was right but I do have to lodge an objection about his comment about "53,000,000 Americans".... "not being able to spot a fraud"

That sort of comment does not have a place on a site that is devoted to opinions about tobacco and was totally unecessary and mean-spirited and gratuitous.Free speech is a fine thing but if I am not incorrect isn't there a warning about such comments in the sign on process? I won't go off on a defensive tirade about this lack of good manners but simply be content to have my disapproval noted. Thanks.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.Grumbling to himself and the Sunrise

Aromaniac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromaniac (7)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is just the sweetest and purest of all virginias! This is a summertime smoke for all lovers of tobacco. Goes well with ice tea and actually tastes a little like tea itself. Everything is beautiful about this blend. From the tin to the smoke...per-fec-ti- on!

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

Tin aroma is spring in the fields, just lovely. The taste is typical Danish, a bit sharp and tasty. Very similar to Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. If you like it you will love this. Since I like neither I will not be buying any more. To me it is sharp with a tendancy to bite.

As to the burly/perique debate, the following email is a direct reply from Stokkeby about its content:

Hi Ray

Thank you for your inquiry to Villiger Stokkebye International.

I am so glad you caught that mistake on our web-site, of course we want to keep it current and correct, and your feedback has now helped us weed out one error.

Orlik Golden Sliced does NOT have any Perique in it, but it's Flue- Cured Virginia with a touch of BURLEY.

Thanks for YOUR help and

Happy Smoking!

Eva Stokkebye

Villiger Stokkebye International

eva@vsicigar.com

(704) 597 0416 (END)

You may not have caught it, but take heart, at least 53,000,000 other Americans can't spot a mistake (fraud) when they see one. The bigger question is what are you doing to correct mistakes when you find them?

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

My tins of this have been of the round twist top variety and the moisture content on popping the seal has been high. In my experience, if you don't let this stuff air for a good long while it will feel like you've just fed your tongue through a shredder and let the pieces fall into a bucket of napalm and piranhas.

The citrus flavours are much stronger (and a bit artificial) when the tin is just opened, slightly too much for my palette. After about a month things calmed down nicely and you're left with a fresh, bright and natural orangey flavour with some underlying oaty nuttiness. Very tasty.

I really like this tobacco but I'm struggling to find much more to say about it. It crumbles and packs very easily and burns beautifully to soft white ash with little effort and no relights. It does leave a bit of sticky residue like the other orlik offering I've tried. It's verging on being four star stuff but it's not quite remarkable enough. Hey ho...it's really good, I enjoy it and I'll keep some around but I wouldn't cry if I couldn't get any more.

As an aside...the colour of my tobacco is much lighter than that shown in the photo above. Also, it is presented in one, long, 3" wide strip folded several times to fit into the tin.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

A solid Virginia flake that tastes good and burns easily, perhaps a little too easy. If not careful this one will burn like straw, a little too fast and hot. My tin is from 12/07 and needed just a little breathing once opened. The touch of burley ensures there will be no tongue bite. However, even the slightest breeze can get your pipe so hot it feels like it could catch on fire. Other than that one drawback this a solid flake that is beautiful in the 50g tin and is very economically priced. Everyone should give this one a try. A really great morning smoke with coffee.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Splended! Pure, straw-like, matured, naturally sweet Virgina with just a splash of something special. Beautifully cut flakes. When you blow it through your nose it is reminiscent of light cinnamin.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Naturally Sweet and Nutty flavours! fantastic tobacco. Rather on the dry side as i opened a fairly new pouch, which makes any drying time redundant.

Just outstanding! For me it's in the same league as Solani's Silver Flake.

When you're a fan of natural tobaccos this is a must try.

It burns effortless and burns down cool...gotto love the flakes!!!

It could become my new allday smoke...oh wait...it already is ;)

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)

I received a sampler of GS from our fellow Clarkus that I thank. I can confirm that the good reputation that GS has conquered here in TR is absolutely deserved, it's a tobacco with natural sweetness and a very pleasant citrus note, the pinch of Burley gives its contribute for a refreshing smoke. Good recipe.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

OUTSTANDING !!!No Surprise Ingredients...Bright+Some Lemon Grade Virginia's \\\Any size pipe,Anytime,Anywhere.....room note"Very Nice"+++++My only complaint is.....I Smoke WAY-TOO-MUCH ! VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!!

Got five tins of this, so I was hoping it would be good, and I was not disappointed. A friend on CPS (if you know what that is) got 5 tins of Erinmore Flake without ever having tried it, so I figured I could take a chance. This is a nice simple little Virginia along the lines of Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, but with a touch of burley. It bites about as hard as a toothless Chihuahua, which is to say, not at all. The scent in the tin is pleasant and, well, grassy; but the smoke gives more complex notes with slow puffing. What notes, you might ask? I don't know, this tobacco isn't aged, so I'm not getting those fig/date tastes one gets sometimes from an aged Virginia. Maybe in ten years? But they are good notes, all the same. No off-tastes, no harshness whatsoever. And at $5 a tin? Go get some right now! This is a beautiful smoke, and if I ever manage to age a tin, who knows what it could turn into? Very highly recommended indeed.

Not sure about the Burley now; saw an article on a pipe site saying that was a tin error, and there is just VA and a very small touch of Perique. This would be three stars for me if it weren't so reasonably priced, but I add an extra star for value.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco delivered as promised. It is truly golden in color and tastes delicious, with the natural flavors of Virginias and a wee dash of Perique. It tastes just as it smells in the tin. And it burns beautifully and slowly, with little if any maintenance required, even straight out of the container.

This one really won me over. It is consistent from beginning to end, and even when I toked it somewhat aggressively, I got no bite. It is not as bland as the other mediums Virginias or too spicy like the other VA/Pers I've tried, and the tobacco flavor is at the core with no artificiality competing for attention. I prefer the darker Virginias, but GS is a winner and I prefer it over Dunhill's Flake in the same category. And at this price, how can you go wrong?

cactusboy33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cactusboy33 (5)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The name gives a large clue to flavours contained in this little flake. Golden. I know its weird to describe the flavour of tobacco by colour alone but I think so much of the flavours we taste in tobacco are personal and often probably more a creation of our minds. So this tobacco is filled with sweet yellow and orange flavours, these coming from the nice and mild virginias. I tasted a pleasant citrus peel note in this tobacco that gave it a welcome brightness. The addition of burley adds a range of 'caramel brown' flavours to the mix, bringing a smooth almost nutty taste.

I found this a nice bright and tangy tobacco that smoked slow and dry. The flakes are easily folded and rubbed and light first time. May take a bit of maintenance in the bowl as the outer edge doesn't seem all to keen on burning, but with some coaxing a pleasant pipe experience is to be had.

A great tobacco for anyone who is making the transition from heavily cased tobaccos. Found that even if I got over enthusiastic in my draw it didn't bite, so equally good tobacco for a beginner. A tobacco that if you treat it right will be good but if you mistreat it wont hold a grudge.

Will be a good addition to any collection and is rapidly becoming my morning wake up smoke. A smokey equivalent of a glass of OJ.

Synthacus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Synthacus (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

First a reference to other writers. The smell that you get out of the tin is not hay. Hay is cheap. In fact, it is as cheap as Hay. This is the smell as you break a nice chip off of a bail of pure alfalfa. Which is more expensive than hay.

I think of blends based on what foods or drinks should precede them. This definitely should be smoked with the thought that it will be the second olive in your martini.

Now, I do not particularly like martinis but olives with their pimento are a welcomed treat. Crudite with fine black and green olives some hummas or a gyro. These are the slightly bitter but very enjoyable foods that come to mind when I smoke this tobacco.

This is still my first tin but I have given it to a very fine pipe that I recently finished. It is not perfect. It is three or four inches short of a bent Dublin churchwarden. The grain is a little wonky in places. The horn ferrule is a little over long at 1 1/2 inches and is rounded to make the join with the stem look like it matches. However, the mouthpiece is bent to even out at the exact angle as the rim. And together the imperfections mix together to make it it look interesting like a spider's leg.

This is the same mix of imperfections that make the bitter mixture of good gin, vermouth, lemon twist and olive, a real classic. Plain gin and tonic alone is more to my liking.

But when a martini is called for, I will take mine shaken and not stirred. And as I drive home from the casino royal in my Astin Martin,please, please, let me smoke my orlik golden sliced.

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Great looking tin, I like the red with a "judge" on the front. Nice gold foil embossed wrapper inside and a gentle pleasant citrus smell greets you when opened. I found the moisture content was just right. I did not have to let it dry at all. I have smoked this in several different pipes and have enjoyed the experience every time. I can only describe it as basic, pure, quality pipe tobacco. I love some of the flavored mixtures and enjoy a wide range of tobaccos, but this seems to me to be the standard by which others should be compared. Flakes were easy to fold and rub gently into my bowl. Lit easily and stays lit to the bottom of the bowl most of the time. Burns down to ash, minimal wetness/moisture left behind in the pipe. Good to the bottom of the bowl. This will be a regular in my rotation. Great golden, full-bodied Virginia with just a bit of burley. It reminds me of hay in the summer with a fresh natural smell. The taste is what I can only describe as classic. I can really tell that this is high quality tobacco. I believe this is the best tobacco I have smoked – which is saying a lot in that I thought I would never smoke anything but Mac Baren Burley London Blend. I could not detect and side flavors or toppings. It has sweetness not unlike honey but it doesn't have a honey flavor – just a smooth, pleasant tobacco taste. After smoking this in my shop I left and returned to a great room note. My whole shop smelled great and forced me to start up another bowl! I highly recommend this tobacco.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I have been an ardent burley smoker for years staying clear of VA's because of the bite factor and general mildness in flavor. I appears I had been wrong all those now wasted years.

I put my pipes down for about a month because it was just too cold outside or in the garage. The weather warmed and I headed to a small tobacco shop up the street for something different to put in my baby fresh mouth and picked up a tin of OGS, I suppose because the tin caught my attention.

I'm now in my fourth tin in as many weeks. My taste was cleared of heavy tobacco and ready to accept this nearly straight VA.

The tin smell was of new hay and nothing else that I could detect and with some difficulty in quitting the sniffing, I rubbed the flake, filled a favorite pipe that hadn't been overly subjected to latakia and lit up. There will be pipes dedicated to VA's now.

I was taken to tobacco heaven. I found the taste to be full but not strong. The VA was light and delicate with the small amount of burley providing the bass notes necessary to give that full mouth feeling. For me, it was like drinking tea after years of coffee. There was as much flavor (aroma in the case of tea)yet it was different,cleaner, more ethereal perhaps.

Many of the reviews noted different flavors and toppings. I didn't get any of these. I can see where citrus was perceived but I believe it is a characteristic of the tobaccos, not an additive as is the sweetness that may remind some of honey. It has a sweetness not unlike honey's sweetness but it doesn't have a honey flavor. I saw licorice mentioned and I didn't detect this at all. Perhaps licorice has a shared characteristic with tobacco. Sir Walter Raleigh has licorice; I don't believe OGS does.

Perique? Not a chance.

Cigarette flavor. Were that true, I would have never given up cigarettes. What it does have in common with cigarettes is a pure tobacco taste. Cigarettes, however, are not made from quality tobacco and have an acrid quality - save some RYO.

I am drawn to this tobacco for it's true tobacco flavor, it's natural sweetness and importantly to it's burn quality.

I believe the room note to be wonderful because I love the smell of tobacco. My wife would likely think it stinks.

This is a quality tobacco undisturbed by a tobacconists tinkering, with a lightness to be appreciated as often as possible. I love this tobacco.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

I'm pretty sure I can add nothing of note to what's already been said...but I just bought this tobacco today in the 100g tin..rubbed out a flake, aired it for 5 minutes, and am enjoying it immensely. I have smoked it slowly, and have not had a single "bite". If you like Virginias, and I do, this is a bell-ringer!

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Now this is a flake i love to smoke. It is so well behaved and delicious. I love the tin art and aroma from the tin. I think it offers great value for money and is of very good quality.

The taste is a very fresh virginia, slight citrus and never cloying or overbearing.

Mo, South Africa

Eagleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eagleman (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Note: My sense of smell is poor hence "room note for me is "unnoticeable".

This is a very good tobacco although not in the same league as the original B&H old virgina flake or the Sobraine rich virginia flake. Several reviewers compare it to SG FVF but in truth it is miles better and it is substantially better than Union Square or any of the Rattray's or other Gawith variations.

This stuff is not bland and has a genuine fruity virginia flavour but not biting and it smokes well. There are not many virginia tobaccos out there as good as this. The "new" B&H Virginia flake is very similar to this (I wouldn't be at all surprised if Orlik makes the B&H)but the Orlik is more generally available.

My advice is that if you want to smoke a tasty virginia flake then smoke this stuff.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The word for this blend is amiable. Some smokers whom I know may deride it for lacking complexity and depth, but I find it flavorful and relaxing - a perfect go-to blend that can easily morph into my all day smoke. The Virginia and its burley sidekick work together perfectly. I like the quality of tobacco employed in this popular blend. The barely noticeable hint of honey complements the sweetness and tanginess of the Virginia and the sturdiness of the burley. It's the easiest flake to fill among all the ones I have. Quite simply, it delivers the goods - and the taste - that I expect from an in-rotation blend.

Update: I should mention that this flake is not an N bomb, so others may find it lacking; for me it's just perfect. Also, try to give it some time in the tin and then in the jar, before smoking, as always with virginias.

Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watson (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This is a true and decent tobacco! Despite its form, it burns very easily and dry to the end. Mellow taste and honey-like aroma (but almost unnoticeable...) I recommend this one to those who smoke aromatics as a pleasant alternative to the everyday smoking and as a “bridge” to the English-tobacco smokers that leads to the tasteful world of aromatics…

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Now this is classic tobacco! I remember my father smoking this by the pound back in the 70's - oh the sweet Virginia notes that hung around the house. Memories memories..

Out of the tin this is one to put a smile on your face. Overwhelming sugary golden VA's - no doubt about it! There's a touch of burley in there, but I guess it's just to up the smoking ability, so probably no more than 5-10% That warm summer smell of countryside haystacks, and that fresh lemon-like smell natural Virginias have (the good ones anyway).

The taste is classic too. Instantly you recognise this to be very high quality tobacco- And you know, how I described the tin-aroma, is just about what you get smoking it too. In the ranks of pure golden VA's, I don't think there ever was any competition to this blend.

Rate 7/10

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)

This is staight blend...Va-Burley and some perique in it...My tin almost dry...Tin shape is beautiful but its not vacuum pack...

Flake cuts perfect but fully rub my flakes...Easy fill, lit and smoke well...

Walkman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Walkman (5)

Orlik Golden Sliced is one of my favorite tobaccos, especially during warm weather. It offers natural Virginia tobacco flavor with a wonderful light citrus sweetness. OGS doesn't bite, requires few re-lights, and provides a nice volume of smoke. The round 100g tin re-seals best. Highly recommended!

jvande7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvande7 (15)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Great looking tin for what that's worth. Fire engine red with a "shrewd judge" on the front. Elegant golden foil within, sealed with an Orlik "shrewd judge" sticker. 2 stacks of, well, "golden slices" inside. Beautiful golden flakes that look good enough to eat. This is my favorite VA flake. I like it slightly more than SG Full Virginia Flake, but both are great examples of the style. It's a naturally sweet VA flake that is not extreme in any way, but still very pleasing and delicious in a simple straight-forward kind of way. Moisture content is nearly perfect straight from the tin (some drying time doesn't hurt though), and it rubs out easily. Bought this tin from Iwan Ries and several staff members mentioned it as one of their favorites. I've smoked several bowls of it now, but I smoked a bowl of it just last night in a brand new unsmoked Peterson 999 and it was a damn near perfect smoking experience. Burns down to ash, minimal wetness/moisture left behind in the pipe. 1 flake rubbed out filled the bowl perfectly to the brim, and actually left a nice amount of cake behind (which I've never experienced before from just a single bowl in a brand new pipe). Good to the last drop. This will be a regular in my rotation.

Modulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Modulus (5)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I'll keep this review simple and just list my thoughts on this tobacco that I discovered early in my pipe smoking adventures.

- Handsome red and yellow tin ("Smoked by all shrewd judges" printed on the inside - a sense of humor is never a bad thing!) - Elegant gold foil wrapped tobacco pressed into 1/16" sheets consisting mainly of dark brown and golden VA tobacco with intermittent flecks of white. - A sweet aroma in the tin, reminiscent of raisins. Yes, a slight hint of citrus. - Burns extremely cool - Produces copious amounts of rolling white smoke when burnt - Almost no flavor - Room note is barely noticable

I think this tobacco is very nice but won't really blow your mind because it has little personality of it's own. Would be an ideal tobacco for blending into harsher mixtures... Would be great for cooling a hot blend as well.

Good stuff. I recommend it as a blender. May be good on it's own after some aging.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Running low on tobacco, I decided to try out this one for a change; a 100 g tin was sitting around on my trusted tobacconist's shelf described as "mostly VA" and he said it has some strength.

So, opening the tin I was a little surprised by the pure Earl Grey aroma with VA grassiness being almost overwhelmed. Interesting, to say the least. Orlik's website does note a "citrus aroma" being in there. The presentation of the leaf was beautiful: a bundle of full-length slices, not as dark as some have noted but rather a medium-to-bright leaf draped along the circumference of the tin. I loved that on first sight.

Taking off the end of a slice and folding, the smoke was slow and very VA-ish, with the Bergamot only rarely making itself felt, and the room note was nice if somewhat subdued. Rubbed out, the Bergamot was there in full force - but in a nice way - and the room note became pleasant, with beautiful, lingering room aroma surviving even my next two bowls of other blends. The VA taste also was more pronounced, with more sweetness, with the leaf rubbed out. The strength was satisfying either way, but I tend to prefer rubbing this out.

Rubbed out, this blend works great with smaller bowls; folded, the taller ones should do the trick. Good tobacco all round. I like it, and it may grow on me enough to make it one of my regulars.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This dark flake tobacco, lined with intermittent light stripes, came in a nice 50g tin and was presented in evenly sliced flakes that were at the perfect humidity for smoking immediately...so that's what I did. This packed easily after rubbing out and produced a good volume of smoke. The aroma was very pleasant; lightly sweet and grassy then it changed more nutty-sweet after the first 1/3 of the bowl. There was a slight bite to this but mostly at initial light up.

Unfortunately, this tobacco failed my senses when it came to taste, it had an odd perfume flavor, floral, almost like roses that lingered for half of the pipe. It was reminiscent of SG's Bracken flake but not nearly as strong. I might be able to like this with time...will have to see. This would have gotten a 4 star rating, but at this point I just can't assign it due to the odd perfume.

*Eulenburg states (6th review from the bottom) that this flake is for simple country folk to enjoy...why is that I wonder? Do "simple" country folk share some characteristics of palate that I am not aware of? Is this a pejorative statement? If so, it has no place on this board and Eulenburg should know better.

Update I have moved to liking the GS purfume and this is a 3 star smoke in my book!

Rehfeldttw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rehfeldttw (8)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very excellent smoke It burns evenly and continuously. Just a slight bite in the begining.

I have just bought this tobacco and can't wait to try them. The tast of this tobacco is very plesent with a strong nutty tast. Perfect for the winter. There is a slight bitter tast in your mouth at the end. I highly recommended if you like pure tobacco/virginias.

Overall, This is an excellent pure tobacco tast and will definately keep it in my rotation.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Tried this on more than one occasion and just can't seem to get past the taste. True, if you really nurse it with lots of extra TLC you'll draw some nice flavors and Virginia sweetness out of it. It doesn't bite and it produces copious white smoke which is fun. But this one requires such a gentle touch that it's difficult to get anything except a very ashy cigarette flavor. I don't like the taste of cigarette ashes, therefore I don't like the taste of this stuff. Also, even with the gentlest sipping the briar heated up to an unacceptable level. Seems to me there are other VAs out there that are so much better, but I am willing to age this stuff for a while and give it every possible chance to redeem itself. With all the rave reviews here, and my own personal experience with the dramatic difference aging can make, I'm hoping I'll learn to eventually like this stuff. I want to...just can't right now...

ferncourt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferncourt (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Smoked this in a pointed cutty packed about three-quarters full.

Starts off mild, then hints of cherry, followed by a nutty flavor. Then there is a very bold richness of strong tobacco that dominates ever so briefly. It ends with a very sweet, dark rum taste.

As the character changes, there is never any hint that you're smoking anything other than great tobacco producing its own unique flavors.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)

I'm inclined to agree with the reviewers who tasted a touch of perique (or some kind of pseudo-perique) in this. It reminds me of Reiner's Long Golden Flake (another slightly sweetened Danish va/per) but it's definitely rougher around the edges and $25 cheaper per 100g. I bought this because the shop was out of bulk Best Brown Flake and I was bummed all the way home, but I think it's a good blend. Will update when tin is finished.

ian0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ian0077 (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think that if you like a tobacco with no overwhelming flavours, this is right up your street. I have always found this a very pleasant smoke indeed, very relaxing. If you have always wanted to try virginia, this would be a very good start for you. This is what i consider a very good virginia smoke, if you then want a more full flavour later, you must try the best, samuel gawiths full virginia flake. Enjoy your pipe whatever you feel is right for yourself, enjoy.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I have taken advantage of a short holiday in Amalfi to study three products:

- Orlik Golden Sliced

- Condor Long Cut

- McBs HH Vintage Syrian

Here my impressions about the first one.

I got one 50grms pouch in the stock coming from Haejenius in Amsterdam. OGS is not imported in Italy like all the tobaccos branded by Orlik (while others, manufactured by, are).

OGS comes in a single long strip having quite the same width of the pouch. The colour of this flake is mixed but mainly bright. The pouch aroma is hay and tea, very natural, I cannot detect superimposed aromas. The humidity is on the low side, this may depend on the kind of packing, but again if any casing agent is used, it's done sparingly.

A Savinelli Professor (6mm balsa filter removed) no. 122 pot is the axe I'm just piping for this review, she has been used in Va's contests only. I have partially rubbed out the tobacco and left airing for a hour or so.

No problems in lighting, no problems of maintenance too.

The smoke aroma is what a mild-to-medium Va is supposed to deliver, no high or lows, something reliable (compact?) and even smokable while doing else. A truly natural sugarish (brown) smoke, with hints of caramel and a faint pepperiness, also through the nose. The smoke is not prone to bite, nor to moisten the stem. Being a Virginia, OGS needs all the cautions to avoid the bowl heating much. From mid-bowl to the end the strength does not develop further the medium side, the body remains mild-to-medium. A curious citrusy note make appearance and keeps things interesting. Also, some rare puffs of fig-like aromas during the last third of the bowl. The last third of the bowl is the most rewarding, the smoke is mellow and even nutty.

OGS is nothing to drive crazy, but a honestly-priced Va flake of the like I do miss. The only comparison coming to my mind is with Capstan Mild (also unavailable in Italy), maybe with Old Gowrie (both them I shall review soon).

Recommended.

wildwoodweed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildwoodweed (4)

A nice VA with no bite. All in all one can not go wrong with this tobacco. I like it. Get a tin or two and take your time to find the highs and lows as you work your way down the bowl.

slartie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slartie (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

To give the reader some perspective, the reviewer has been smoking (on average) 7 bowls of OGS (Orlik Golden Sliced) per day in 3-4 pipes over the course of 4 years. It has been a near-exclusive blend to the reviewer and the following notes should be read with that in mind.

This naturally sweet VA flake is a bit shy, but given the proper care and attention, it will reveal itself as a no-nonsense VA with the slightest hint of perique that marries with the sweet VA taste in a way that makes me want to keep coming back for more.

The flavor consists of bergamot, a very light dash of honey and if one takes enough care, the base licorice flavor with what most tobaccos are treated, will make an appearance. The trademark haylike tones are of course ever present.

The burning qualities of this leaf is on par with anything else that Orlik has to offer. Folded or rubbed, it behaves remarkably well. Very little effort is required to keep the embers alive, effectively ridding the smoker of any chances of being bitten.

Around mid-bowl, the sweetness starts bobbing in and out for a while as the nicotine is making a more noticeable appearance. OGS is by no means a nicotine heavy smoke, but if smoked in a group 5 pipe, it can give the smoker an occasional hiccup. This soon passes and the bowl settles back in the sweet tones right till the end.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

Nice tin but it stops there at least for my taste.I have had good luck with not frying my tounge but this stuff you need to watch.Be careful it will bite with out warning.It has a licorce topping.If I want licorce ill go to the candy store.Its not a bad baccy but I highly dought i will buy any more.So try it for yourself if you must but its not hard to find better.If i could i would give it one and a half star rating.Sometimes ya win some times ya lose.Its your time and money.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This is another nice blend, but in no way can it compare itself to straight Virginians such as Dunhill Lt. F, Xmas Cheer, S.Gawith. FVF or BBF and others not yet mentioned herein. It?s not its casing nor its topping, but its varietals. It stands closer to Mac Baren?s Virginian Flake and Navy Flake than a straight Virginian. It doesn?t bite, and produces a mountain of white sweet smoke and is of mild to medium strength. I think it could be pleasant in the summer heat.

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Orlik is the only other Kake I have smoked other than Butera Kingfisher. I want to get another tin of this however there are many tobaccos I want to try and this might be high on my list to obtain again but it still takes a back seat to other blends. I smoked this when I was very new to non-drugstore brands almost a year ago. So to give a proper review I'll have to wait til I get more. Non the less I still recommend this tobacco to others. My personal note rating is a 8.2 overall.

Gunnar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gunnar (9)
Mild Strong Full Pleasant

Mislead by the reviews stating a "mild" or even "not detectable" flavouring unfortunately I purchased a tin of "Golden Sliced".

The tobacco seems to be of good quality, as it burns cool and smooth and doesn't bite. However, the taste is completely covered by the casing that reminds me to the stuff my scrubwoman uses to clean the floor. If you don't like the taste of tobacco this might be the right stuff for you - otherwises avoid it!

Society of the Briar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Society of the Briar (13)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I'm a comparatively new-ish pipe smoker at about 4 years running. Maybe I don't smoke frequently enough to handle it, but the nicotine level in this tobacco is too much for me to smoke an entire bowl, and I've smoked some strong ones. Within about 20 minutes I'm laying down and on the verge of nausea. I've tried numerous times now, and while I do agree that it is a decent, grassy/citrus like and light virginia, I think you can find better offerings from McClelland's, Formers or Sam Gawith. This tobac is just to cigarette-ish for my taste. To each his own of course.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Whoever likes Virginia will be excited. Whoever does not, will start thinking they might be wrong. The best pure Virginia I have smoked. Not completely pure, because it surely contains Perique.

All day, all season tobacco. It contains a satisfactory dosage of nicotine and it gives a very discrete scent on the room. Dry, with no tongue biting, easy to smoke and place in the bowl and of course it has beautiful and practical tin.

I have already reordered some more

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)

When I first opened the tin I was greated with a nice, natural grassy smell from the tobacco. No casing or topping of any sort was present, at least from my nose. The flakes seemed just a bit more moist that I'd like but I think if it comes to aging the tin a bit this can be an advantage.

I've tried smoking the flakes both rubbed out, folded and stuffed into a pipe and cut into thirds with a cigar cutter length wise and then rubbed out. In any of those cases I was rewarded with a wonderful smoke. There was just a hint of tongue bite but that was only when I first opened the tin and the flakes were still a bit moist. After a few weeks of the tin being opened and having them dry out a bit the only tongue bite comes from serious puffing to heat up your pipe.

Once match was put to tobacco I knew this would be a good smoke. Nothing but pure virginia bliss. My senses were greeted with a nice citrusy, sweet and grassy taste (in that order of strength). It is a one note song but certainly one I don't mind hearing for quite some time. This really is a high quality tobacco that would be a good stepping off point for aromatic smokers looking to get into virginias or even veteran smokers looking to deepen their appreciation for good virginias.

PipeSmoker45ACP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmoker45ACP (11)

This has become my favorite smoke. A plain, simple, and sweet virginia.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Been smoking this blend as a folded flake insted of rubbed out and it gets another star.

Original: This blend is a nice natural tobacco that hasn't been bastardized. Sweet and natural tones through out. This blend also smokes well rubbed or folded and filled. I never had any trouble lighting or keeping it lit. I actually prefer to smoking it folded and filled than rubbed out. For the money there are better straight va's like FVF and Old Gowrie.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Very good tin aroma. I have found that this smokes equally well rubbed out or smoked as a full flake. Very mild in taste and strength with a light, pleasant room note. for this reason I'm using it to break in my new "Virginia tobacco only" pipe.

=12Nov2008 Update=

I have to drop this a star. I finished that tin and every subsequent tin has been disappointing. The taste is just too bland.

=24Apr2014 Update=

Boy how times and tastes change. This is now one of my everyday smokes. It takes a while to notice the subtle nuances in this blend. I love it now!!!

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is a high quality VA flake. While not noted in the description, I believe that it has a touch of perique in the blend. If that is so, it does not come through to any appreciable degree in the smoking quality.

It is somewhat moist out of the tin, and requires a bit of drying to smoke. Once rubbed out is packs easily,and I use it as a breaking-in tobacco for new pipes because the flavor is so neutral.

This one, like so many VA's, will burn hot if not smoked slowly and with care. While there is nothing wrong with the execution of this blend, it simply lacks any appreciable flavor or richness that makes it worth smoking over any number of other, better blends. I, like so many of us, only get one or two bowls per day, and it feels like a waste to smoke this, which offers little taste or singularity in experience, when there are other things so much tastier, and nicer smoking, out there. If, however, you are looking for a very mild, neutral blend for any reason, than this would fit the ticket perfectly.

Stormrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stormrider (14)

Just a plain, good old-fashioned golden Virginia with no casing. Naturally sweet, what a cigarette would be if they didn't chop it up and mix all that crap in with it, then burn it way too quickly. Come to think of it, maybe I'll try hand rolling one with this. Seriously, I tried this along with several different kinds of samples, and it's a keeper. Next time I'm ordering the large tin.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Creamy, straight Virginia taste. Goes well with a cup of hot, strong coffee. This blend is very nice priced, and as good (or better) as much 'fancier' straight VA's. In the 50 gr tin the tobacco dries out very quick after opening. The 100 gr tin does not have this problem.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

If you like a natural tasting virginia then this is for you. I started puffing with this blend. It tastes like a light Virginia with a hint of sweetness. It is navy sliced(which means it is compressed in a stack then sliced into sheets. It needs to be broken up fully and 'fluffed' up by hand or for me I shake it in a container to fluff it up. It is a fine tobacco that is well worth the money and is easy to throw in the pocket. It's forgiving to newbies(like people coming from cigarettes who want a natural taste). It has a mild nicotine content that goes with the mild flavour. It's not unsatisfying however and you will probably want to buy more then one tin at a time. Each 'sheet' is about one pipe full when rubbed out. It stays fresh for a long time after opening and does get a little better with age but even a new tin will reward you with a nice long natural smoke. It never gives me tonque bite or a gurgling pipe. It can be packed in any way in any pipe with similar effects. A great first buy if you want a natural tasting Virginia that isn't boring.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (52)

Pretty much all has already been covered concerning this tobacco, so there's not much else to do than to join the choir (of those in favour of it, of course) and sing the praise of this tobacco.

I seem to prefer the 100 gram tinned G.S, by the way. Might be imagining it, but it seems a little more round in taste, a little spicier and overall more satisfying to smoke compared to the 50 gram tinned, which has always come out as a little sharper on the tongue and a little more dry to me.

I always make sure to have a tin at hand, and at least one backup of Orlik Golden Sliced. You should too.

3,5/4.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

Generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of golden virginias. This blend has to be the exception. Beautiful golden slices that can be folded and stuffed, right out of the can with minimal bite. It is sweet, but sweet like natural virginia with very little topping. Definitely a new favorite for me....

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (78)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A Virginia plug smoker for 46+ years, I have been surprised at this nicely done flake. Introduced in 1965 this is one of the few flake tobaccos that has immense pure tobacco taste and aroma. Very little if any top note at all...and there is no Perique in this flake nor has there ever been.

While I'm not a big fan of Danish type tobaccos, I do find this one to my liking. An all day smoke, I particularly like this in the morning with hot tea or coffee and in a somewhat larger pipe; group 4 and higher.

I don't rub this out as much as some flakes and I find keeping it reasonably moist keeps the burn steady and slow.

Definitely worth a try and price-wise it is a good bargin. Decent quality leaf, processed well, and aged appropriately, make this a good choice for an experienced or novice pipe smoker.

...a pipe is to be savored.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I was going to give Mac Barens Navy flake another try, they didn't have any, however, a large round red tin of Golden Sliced was hurled in my direction, "try this" the shopkeeper said, no doubt trying desperately to make his first sale, "I've just got this in"

"Why not" I thought, and bought it. On opening the tin, I was presented with a long, wide ribbon of flake, didn't smell bad, bit dry to the touch, but then, that's Orlik, Mac Barens to a tee.

After several bowls what can I say, I have been looking for something to replace my ever diminishing supply of Dunhill Flake, this stuff is mellow, oh yes mellow...... can't taste.... can't taste...... can't taste anything, it's just tobacco, pure plain inoffensive tobacco.... a bit better than OK, burns well with no tongue bite and all the way down with just one match.

When I want a smoke without any flavourings AT ALL, and there are times, this will be it. Would I make this an all day smoke ? no, unless I wanted to be bored to death, would this replace Dunhill ? most definately not, would I buy it again ? probably.

Rating.... two stars or three ? Two stars for now, I may come back and update this to three, but first I'll finish the tin and see if I buy more.

Right, here we go then, I did finish the tin, I did go back and buy more, though only one tin, a bit unusual for me. I've finally decided what this tastes like, cigarettes..... totaly neutral. However, a good enough smoke to keep yourself busy while you decide what you want. Two stars.

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this yesterday. I made an unscheduled stop into a tobacco store, hoping they would have some blends I was looking for. They didn't. Instead of leaving empty handed - needed something to smoke on the way home - I decided to grab some of this.

It's nice. Very easy to smoke. Fresh, sweet, golden virginias pressed into large flakes. I feel that I got my money's worth. The 100 gram tin is packed solid and was priced less than the smaller tins of Dunhill and Peterson.

No rubbing out is required. Just pinch off pieces of the flake, pack, and after two lights your smoking an even, smooth, consistent bowl. Creamy smoke with a very subtle orange/honey note. I think this will prove to be a good all day summer blend. It's not my ideal tobacco but it is a nice change of pace.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I edit this blend up to 4 stars. I find it mild but superb, flowers and lemon with good natural flavors. Top mild VA flake.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

In my search through the wonderful world of Virginias I purchased a small tin of Golden Sliced. I'm certainly glad I did. This is a very good blend, at a very good price....what a novel concept. This ranks up there with the best...S.G, Astleys, C&D, MacBaren, Rattrays etc. Rubbed out or folded it packs, and light great....burns nice, and cool, and taste great. Nothing here not to like. While life is too short to smoke a bad tobacco, this is good , and a great value. I just orderd 3 100 gram tins for now, and the cellar. Rate * (at least)

Quoll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quoll (17)

This one really surprised me. I thought I would give it a go as I am a fan of Virginias and wanted to try something not from Rattray's or Sam Gawith. I wasn't expecting this.

Nice big red tin, with huge rough golden-brown flakes. You have to rip off pieces from the flake, but they stay together as a broken flake. I twist and stuff for a nice tight broken flake pack. The moisture level is just right from the tin. (You wouldn't want to open a tin and leave it a week - it would get too dry.) Tin aroma is just Virginia to me. No topping, no additives, just sweet grassy tobacco.

First light was easy. One char maybe, and you're off. Lots of volume and an immediate Virginia sweetness. Not the complexity of Rattray or SG at first, but very pleasant. Then I noticed how much I was enjoying it. Just the right (quite high) mouth strength, just the right nicotine level (I'd put it at the high end of medium) and the flavours started to get more complex. All the typical pure Virginia stuff - hay, earth, grass, etc. with a hint of pepperiness that kept it interesting. Maybe a little caramel in the flavour, but the interesting tobacco taste kept it well at bay for me. The flavours stay constant through the bowl, with just a build of strength as you progress. It burns dry to a clean white ash and, while I once or twice suspected a hint of bite, it never actually happened.

Do I like it? Oh, yes. And it is a good 12% cheaper than its rivals in the UK too. If I have a criticism, it is that the tin went too quickly.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought this in 50g pouch form and the tobacco comes as one long 2" wide folded strip that you have to tear from. Lovely, fresh, straight tobacco aroma in the pouch.

Tore off enough for a generous bowl and rubbed out. Lit with ease. This tobacco burns slowly and is economical in use. It has a very fresh, citrus taste that refreshes the palate whilst still having a medium nicotine kick. The flavour remains constant throughout the bowl.

This is no doubt an excellent smoke if straight virginias are your thing. I however found it a bit one dimensional, but refreshing nonetheless.

Recommended.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Tin: OGS comes in gold wrapping paper sealed with an Orlik sticker. It has a soft aroma, the faintest straw scent. It is akin to a vague apricot scent or the aromatic smell of rye bread. Upon opening the tin, one is greeted by a tobacco that is reputed to be "smoked by all shrewd judges." The color is mahogany interspersed with blonde and dark browns. On the bottom of the tin says OGS it has a touch of burley. The square tin does not allow a snug reseal. The tobacco is sliced across the width, giving 2x3" pressed flakes.

Packing & Lighting: Somehow, it is disconcerting that OGS is cut the width of the tin. But it either rolls into a ball or crumbles apart with little effort. Lights with one match; a bowl lasts a long time, with one relight.

Taste & Aroma: Initially a nice, light hay aroma, with a slight cigarette aspect. The burley flavor is definitely there, dulling the VA's with more of a grip than a touch. Mid-bowl, the bowl has a mild peppery raisin scent; some have noticed a hint of a soapy effect. Something provides a floral herb scent: aniseed; with a citrus scent-bergamot has been suggested-left in the bowl. Although it may be termed softly sweet, I don't see it as nutty or caramel. OGS is absolutely biteless and clean burning.

Why was burley added to these light Virginias? Doesn't something have to have been added to give these subtle tastes and aromas? Burley is often used in blends because it readily absorbs additives, or casing juices.

Keep in mind, these are subtle nuances. As has been aptly said, "This blend is reticent to blossom." It really does require a clean bowl, with gentle and light puffing.

Nicotine: By the end of a large bowl, it progressively builds to medium. In a small bowl, mild.

Room Note: The aroma doesn't linger, meaning when you get back to the workshop, they won't wonder what you've been doing.

Overall: OGS is akin to a substance that has been filtered, all the harsh, strong qualities having been washed away, leaving a tobacco with a soft and mellow citrus-herb character, in a diluted form. 3.6 stars for being a delicate smoke.

Selah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Selah (8)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Lovely flake of a medium hue. This is a very nice Virginia of a type seldom produced nowadays. It renders nicely into smokeable shreds and fragments, and burns slow and clean. Comes into it's own about a quarter of the way down, and maintains. Very satisfying.

The tin aroma, even after several weeks opened, is of fine aged tobacco, slightly apricotty, slightly fresh and springlike.

The taste is similar to some of the other flakes out there, but softer than the dark flakes, and more floral. It is sweet, but not sugary. If anything, it is reminiscent of Capstan, rather than the pressed blacks or red flakes of other houses. It is also similar to Dunhill Light flake, but manages to be sweeter and more ethereal, without that perfumed (soapy) undertone.

If your favourite blend contained aged blond Virginia, and were to become unavailable, this would be a good substitute for that component.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't really add anything... tasty light Va... very nice if exhaled through the nose. No bite. Easy smoking, good price.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I always return to this, A hard pressed brick with an apricote aroma that is simply a light , clean, honest smoke. Slightly sweet, a little hay, no real strong or outstanding flavors, just many slight suggestions of warm, sweet, tobacco. Somewhat like ciggarettes is the only reason its not my one and only.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)

a good deal better than i remembered it, really. quite surprising, as it's mostly the other way round when you revisit the classics of your youth. i used to know a lot of law students, all of whom of course smoked this - so i had my fair share of ogs.

hay like pouch aroma. a whiff of... caramel? easy to pack, light and smoke. as most orlik tobaccos, it's well crafted. taste is slightly caramelized, as it's a sweetened tobacco, and grassy/citrusy. my smoking it has revealed no burley nor perique, both of which are reportedly present in small amounts. taste varies very little from start to ash.

all in all, a pleasant smoke which is a little on the light side, strength wise as well as flavour wise. a little lacking in caracter, i feel - but as it's a tobacco you can still get just about anywhere here in denmark, i don't mind buying it if i'm out of any of my favourites when traveling.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The shrewd judge is either excessively fond of his wig or in contempt of his own court!

The flakes are a visual delight:almost as long as Golden Long Flake, and a nice mixture of dark browns and yellows. The tin aroma is fresh and inviting, with the slightest citric note. There is no need to rub out the flake - just folding over and stuffing into the pipe sufices and provides a reasonably flavourful, cool and long-lasting smoke. Golden Sliced bears more than a passing likeness to Stokkebye virginia flakes. The latter are, in my opinion, somewhat better. There is a slight dustiness to the flavour of Golden Sliced, which keeps me from giving it four stars. Still, there is a reasonable level of nicotine and the overall experience is satisfactory, though not outstanding.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)

update: I got back to it and it's a lot better than I remembered. Upping my rating to three from two. Give this tobacco five minutes, man. I mean to say, don't hurry smoking it, and I think you'll see, it gets better round mid-bowl, the nuttiness, but is sweet all along.

Old review: Not my favorite. There is just some taste in there, somewhat like a grassy clove or something, that just kind of irritates me sometimes. It's supposed to get much better with aging, so I will leave it in the tin and not throw it out for a while. Maybe I'll get back to it someday and it will be better. For now, though, I've really avoided it.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is only my second Virginia experience, but I found it to be very enjoyable. The sweet "hay" or "grassy" flavor is definetly there however, I found it as a positive instead of a negative taste. Until I find something better, I'll be buying more of this.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've never really cared for this tobacco. Another reviewer suggests a hayish quality, I agree. It's not a bad tobacco, it simply lacks something. A venerable old name, try it if you must and you know you must!

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

For me this a summer tobacco, a lightish Virginia blend for the warmer months when heavier tobaccos are just too much for the palate. there is a pleasing VA sweetness to the taste, but it needs to be smoked carefully or it will bite. An occasional pleasure then, but one to be kept for those occasions when nothing else will do.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A sweetened virgina flake with a touch of burley, so says the tin. It is similar to Mac Baren Virginia #1 but a few notches lower in the flame throwing effect; still a ripe virginia that requires slow puffing. It has a moderate honey like sweet aroma with an undertone of spice like cinnamon augmenting a backbone of bright, yellowy virginia leaf. About as pleasant as can be aside from the typical virginia heat. All in all, a wonderful tobacco that may become a mainstay.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Not a bad product, but not a great one either.. There is something hayish in taste with the Virginias which drops the natural taste and strength of the tobacco down.. A decent / mild / no-bite / all-day smoke though..

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is very nice. No bite, a little sweet,nice flavor. If this was the only stuff you could get. I'd still be a pipe smoker.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good straight Virginia flake, as many others have said. I would not hesitate to smoke this again, but it is not quite good enough to make the regular rotation. This seems like a 3/4 Old Gowrie. 3/4 in flavor, in strength and in general smoking pleasure.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is the tobacco I base all others on. my only Four Star tobacco as It meets all my requirements. I tried many and always return to Golden Slices. Light, Clean, Sharp, Little bite throughout. The first light taste mainly like smoke and it has to build for a minute. The first third if concentrated on has wheat, grass, light sweetness that builds into a floral nature. 2/3 into the bowl strength has built into Honey Suckle, Light Nuttiness reminding me of the old candy 'Bit-O-Honey'. The Grass/Green note remains throughout. The last 3/3 is wheat/nut virginia flavor, rare and occasional caramel note that doesn't leave your mouth stained or jaded. This is no doubt likely the best all day VA smoke. Rushed does not work well with it, the taste is fragile. A hurried smoke makes for a 'greener' smokier,- but still a decent VA. I have noticed, and perhaps the reason for so many opinions on this- A cheap briar, or a wet one without adequate cake brings out the 'green/grass' notes and hides the others. I hate to break in a pipe on this one. If you are jaded, or smoke a lot of latakia- you will not be able to taste the fragile nature of this. If this is you, Try McClelland Christmas Cheer, Rattrays Marlin Flake, Or Hal O' The Wynd for a natural Virginia that you can still taste. If you want a cheaper option, yet similar, Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Twist is a less diverse but tasty option. Dunhills Light Flake is similar in many ways with zesty nature versus honeylike, I suspect a fan of one would like the other. Remember, use a clean palate, and a good VA dedicated pipe with good cake or you are wasting your time and money.

PS: Golden Slices (Red) in Europe there is an Orlik 'White' that is aromatic. Orlik manufactures dozens of types but only some are availible in the US. Also, The can reads 'Is Harmfull To Health' for the curious....

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)

This is a wonderful flake. It is mild, no tongue bite, and complex. Dont worry about rubbing this out, I find it smokes best just left alone. A must try.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

2 reviews here:

I wonder me about the attached (red). Is there another un red golden sliced?. At whatever rate, this is travel in tongue bite. Nothing but a weak and weak tasting tooth tweaker.

Tin (100 gram) left half full to rot alone. . . 6 months later, rotten or not, this is a tastey and smooth smoke. Nary a bite, although nary a flavor too boot, when sipped there is something to enjoy. Yet, not enough for me to re-order. Did finish the tin, and the last bowl made me think, hmmmmm, maybe?? Maybe not. I'll try Dark strong KY next.

lisztman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lisztman (15)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

After much experimentation, many years ago, I settled on, essentially, natural Virginias. For perhaps ten years now, it's been almost exclusively MB Virginia #1. But I had a problem with its cloud. A fairly heavy smoke that not only filled the garage quickly, but tended to follow me around. So I've been searching for a "regular smoke" and found it here.

Like everyone else, I found a hint of apricot in the newly opened can. I'm not enough of a connoisseur to know what's been added -- but it's not plain golden Virginia. Having said that, the taste is almost that -- just a hint of something a tad spicy and flavorful kicks in partway through the bowl. Nice taste, very mild, and -- wonderful -- light smoke that quickly dissipates.

If there's a caution to issue, reformed cigaretted smokers (such as I, even though it's been 30 years) have to be careful. It's so light and smooth that the temptation to inhale kicks right in and one doesn't immediately experience the cough reflex of most pipe tobacco -- but the old-fashioned tobacco rush will knock you down.

Those in search of a light smoke will enjoy this. And when you put it out, get on the train, and pick a seat, you won't find people two rows back moving to the next car.

gho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gho (8)

I bought a pouch out of curiosity. Opening it full of anticipation I found the flakes bone dry. Without wasting a thought on rehydrating, I crumbled a bit off, stuffed it into a cob and gave fire. Sweet. A flavor of honey and caramel develops throughout the clean burning bowl in a nice interplay with the virginia. Mellow and candylike. I am wondering how it would taste with a tamed down topping and a pinch of perique added. Recommended.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

I don't normally smoke straight virginias, as I find a lot of them have to be nursed along carefully to avoid the bite one normally associates with them. This one surprised me. I decided to try the golden slices because I love the Dark Kentucky Flake so much. I'm glad I did.

The tin had a strange fruity aroma upon opening, so I closed it and put it away for a week before trying to smoke it. After a week the tobacco had a fresh sweet smell, kind of like sweet grass. I smoke this in flake form rather than rubbing it out, and this seems to work best. Rubbing it out was a much hotter smoke than just folding the flake and stuffing it in the pipe.

The taste is wonderfully fresh. It's a clean crisp taste; just a hint of spice on the tongue due to the sugars, but no real bite; not a lot of nicotine. The room note is also very pleasant. This is a very clean burning flake, kind of like a tobacco version of 7-up (remember the "crisp and clean, no caffiene"?)

To anyone wishing to try this, I recommend not rubbing it out. I tried once, and it smoked really hot. Fold the flake and stuff it in the pipe. You will need a few relights occasionally, but you will be rewarded with a cool, delicate, and gently sweet smoke. This is the one straight virginia that I plan to keep in my regular rotation. And did I mention that it's cheap-six and a half bucks for a 50g tin (that was at Diebels on the Kansas City Plaza, so surely cheaper elsewhere).

bilbohooker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bilbohooker (12)

I really like this tobacco. Nice apricot smell when you open the tin. Very mild, but flavorful. I love the the 50gr. tins. They're just the right size for carrying around in your pocket. I recommend this blend highly to people who have trouble with virginia bite.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

I love this blend and consider it my old reliable Virginia flake. The flakes rub out easily, packing is easy, moisture level is right, and the tobacco stays lit. Taste is there from beginning to end. It is sweet, tastes just like tobacco is supposed to, and it never gets tiring. It is usually available and the price is nice. What more can you ask for?

Yankulosky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yankulosky (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a flake that simply doesn't do it for me. It's base is good VA, but, as Eulenburg said, the added Burley makes it a dull smoke.

For people who still smoke a pipe out of habit rather than out of connoisseurship.

Idiom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Idiom (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a fantastic quality flake and is one of my current favourites, quite sweet but not overly so and quite a strong smell of plum in the tin. Burns very well diced or rubbed, very cool and slow, no bite at all. If I had to find a fault with this flake it would be that its perhaps a little simple. Refreshing.

Edit:Golden sliced is definately growing on me, I've just about finished my first tin and its now my favourite smoke! Upgrade to 4 stars.

spike1963 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spike1963 (1)

Well where to begin, I am new here and I am glad that I found this place. I have been a pipe smoker since I was 16yrs off and on and now I am strictly a pipe smoker. I prefer only tinned tobacco for the quailty and this Golden Sliced is quality. Upon opening the tin I am addressed with a sweet and somewhat peppery aroma and the color is delightful. I rub a small amount out and then I tear up an equal amount and load it into the pipe. I used the pince method in this case but oftimes I use the gravity method.....depends on the mood I guess. Usually I find that the moistue level in tins is about 9 to 18 percent so I usually put the tobacco in a latex pouch with some humydroles and let it get moist. I like it a bit more moist so I can get the flavor and smoothness of the tobacco. I dont worry about "tobacco sweat" cause I smoke everything through Peterson Pipes. This is really a great Vriginia smoke and the light touch of Burley gives it a nice coolness. I smoke it all the way down to the dottle if any at all and it is sweet and yet nutty/pungent all the way down. A great all day smoke and one that I have grown to like at night while I am sipping my Irish whiskey! A decent room note and not too bad to inhale every now and again. I will be buying more of this blend for sure.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)

Orliks Golden Slices (Red) is a real Virginia with sweet, natural Ps: I have contacted Orlik to figure out what the can says. It truely does defy all online translators. The phrase "Er Yderst Sundhedsskadelight" The mystery was too much for me. 'is harmfull to health'

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)

Upon opening of the tin it smells exactly like a dark rye bread. The flakes are really nicely cut and regular with darker and lighter leaves intermingled. Rubbing it out is almost too easy. I just fold a flake and roll it into a ball and then it decomposes into a really nice almost shag-like state. It's a matter of seconds. It takes to the light easily and burns smoothly all the way down with no need to relight. In my meerschaum it burns a little hot when stressed but no particular tongue bite. It has a very nice raisiny or figgy flavour which concentrates towards the end of the bowl. It leaves a nice grey-white ash and no moist. A very well-behaved and I would say, typical Virginia flake which you should try if you are bent that way.

Update: upon visiting the Stokkebye website (http://pstokkebye.com/) I sought out the OGS section to find this; Tobacco selection: Louisiana Perique adds zesty new life to the flavor of flue-ccured Virginia tobacco.

Perique? I have so far only smoked the Premier Cru which sports a green-peppery flavour which I have been told is the Perique contribution. I can not for the life of me spot any of that in OGS? But on the other hand, I have read people stating that Perique "rounds off" the taste of Virginia in VA-Per mixtures so it might just be my inexperience of the said baccy...

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

"Smoked by all shrewd judges" well, I find this tobacco not guilty on all counts except for flavor...guilty of being too bland, I think the burley is the perp here. OGS (100g) is sentenced to thirty days in the back of my drawer to see if it shapes up...

dunhill grp 3

MCM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MCM (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My other Virginia blends have been neglected since I broke open my 100g tin of Orlik Golden Sliced. This blend carries a refreshing citrus-like note that I have grown to love. Great stuff with minimal tongue bite! go get some now.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This one just keeps growing on me; I like it more and more every time I smoke it: UPGRADE to 4 stars.

Golden Sliced Red is a slightly sweetened, well-constructed VA flake. It's soft on the tongue and easily kept alive with patient but attentive puffing. One bowl and it'll be apparent why this is so popular; it's a very middle-of-the-road, easy to approach VA flake.

And not that packaging makes any difference in taste or smoking qualities, but the little 50g rectangular tin fits in the pocket so comfortably (especially versus round flat 50g tins) on smoking walks.

If you like VA flakes and haven't tried this one, give it a go.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I have tried several of Orlik's offerings and regularly smoke DSK . Golden Sliced is of high reputation for straight Virginia and as such I expected to really like it.

Appearance: This blend has a beautiful presentation, being comprised of precisely sliced flakes. Though predominately red and golden Virginia, there are darker bands and bits that are nearly white.

Tin aroma: This is a mixture of matured Virginia sweet and fruity notes abound. There are deep molasses tones a slight sour tang one expects in Virginia some slight spicy tones and a deeper fig-like aroma. I detect no topping or casing agents of any kind, just pure natural smelling Virginia.

I have chosen a Stanwell Canadian dedicated to Virginia mixtures for this review.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture straight out of the tin. I normally simply roll two flakes fold them over and insert them into the bowl, trimming off any excess. Lighting is usually a one match affair, and generally stays lit throughout the entire bowl, unless I let the pipe go out. As expected, the initial flavor is very tangy Virginia and sweet though not overly so on either count. There are distinctly citrus notes of the Virginia and a deep harmonious flavor of fine tobacco. Unfortunately, I'm finding it rather bland each time.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and while this blend is not complex, it somehow lacks interest for me. With the wide variety of Virginia flake blends out there to choose from, Golden Sliced just never delivers any complexity or changing of flavors, as such I find it honestly boring. A shame really, as the quality is obvious. It tends to smoke fairly hot, though tongue bite is NOT an issue here. This blend is very well behaved in that regard.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the strength of this mixture has built to a level I'd term ?medium? not even rich enough to be satisfying to me. I really expected to like this blend, it has so many fans and such a reputation, but for me it's just a ?going through the motions? kind of smoke. I was hoping for something along the lines of Dunhill Light Flake, but alas, this doesn't come close.

Supplemental Notes: I would recommend this to a novice Virginia smoker who finds most Virginia blends too strong or full bodied. If you are looking for complexity or mouth-watering rich Virginia richness, please look elsewhere. Rating for those interested in numbers **

Semois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Semois (18)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Great respect for this straight tobacco. Tobacco pur-sang, without frills. I put first some of the tobacco in the cutter, afterwards I rub it out quite a while, enjoying the tactile sensation and the delicate scent - all is pure about this tobacco. I smoke it in a medium sized bowl as slowly as possible. Then a deep delicate taste is developing in mouth and nose. A little masterpiece.

Pipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipey (17)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was sent a 100gram tin of this from a brilliant (But unnamed) online pipe dealer, flake expert and all round super nice guy, and was excited to see what it contained, how it looked and whether or not I loved it.

I have to be honest, I still havent decided.

Usually, I decide whether or not I love or hate a tobacco after the first puff, but this one is unusually hard to rate.

The slices are long, and relatively thick, but not too wet or tricky to rub out (Say for instance if you were a beginner to flakes) its easy to pack, light and keep alight to the dottle. I have never had a bowl need re-lighting, but this tin seemed pretty dry upon unsealing it - not sure if its like this always, but it was properly sealed when it arrived in my hands. I have tried it rubbed out, not rubbed out, folded over, stuffed in and pretty much any other way I could think of preparing it, in all sorts of pipe sizes (Although group 2-3 is my favorite size for mixtures and flakes) with no problems whatsoever, so thats wicked!

However, it's good behaviour doesnt necessarily decide the rating due to the following.

1. Sometimes this flake is SO strong, that it hurts my throat and lungs (I was always a cigarette smoker and like to inhale my pipes - bad I know, but hey), because of this, I can only stand smoking it occasionally - most often beside the sea whilst playing with my wonderful hound - most definately not a tobacco I peal through at an alarming rate.

2. Its flavour doesnt change much at all, and because of this I find it absolutely BORING in large pipes, and almost go to sleep because of the lack of interesting flavour and its reluctance to get sweeter, sourer, more bitter or really change flavour at all.

But, its still a good smoke. Definately worthy of a try if you like strong VA flakes, but most definately not one for my daily rotation, I'll stick to Med VA/Per mixtures that are balanced as a whole (Dorisco, Dorchester to name but two) this is just a little un-exciting for me to bother with all the time...

About 5.5 out of 10 here for my part....

Happy puffing!

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

An excellent Virginia flake, but one that needs to be smoked with care to fully appreciate it (There are few VA's you cant say that about I think). The tin aroma is sweet, tobaccoey, slightly like apricots, a characteristic of several VA tobaccos I enjoy.

Rub it out, but not too much, unless you are smoking it outdoors on a windy day. The flavour will be fullest when rubbed, and it stays lit more easily. It lights up with no trouble, and from here on it must be smoked really slow,keep it cool, but keep it lit, very small puffs more often are better than the occaisional large puff. Breath smoking is ideal- the flavour is fullest, sweet, like caramel or fudge. Very natural sweetness though, it is by no means sickly sweet. The flavour (and strength) grow toward the bottom of the bowl, and it will smoke right to the end leaving little dottle. Keep it cool if you want to do this.

Recomended to all Virginia lovers.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This isn't, in my view, a tobacco to be approached carelessly. If you rub out the flakes it tends to be very hot and can bite. Simply folding and stuffing a flake into the bowl gives better results, but it tends to be bland. The flavour might be lost in a pipe used previously for a latakia mixture. I have some straight virginia for blending and this reminds me of that. Dare I say it, it is even how Erinmore flake might taste without the topping. Try it by all means, but there are many other tobaccos that reward you more, and without having to look so hard for the reward! The flakes are not too moist straight from the tin, and smell delicious. After this though, the experience goes downhill. If you are looking for a tasty virginia flake go for Dunhill's Light Flake or Peterson's University Flake instead.

Edited 17 Nov 05: This has grown on me with more exposure. Whilst it it hotter, there is a flavour that only appears when rubbed out. This is a soapy taste, almost a mild version of the 'floral' flavour of a Lakeland flake, but very much less pronounced. A rubbed out bowl will reveal this flavour after lighting, and then it recedes and a caramel-like flavour predominates. At the very end of the bowl the floral flavour returns for two or three puffs. If smoked when rubbed out it must be respected - little wispy sips of smoke; the 'breathe' method being just right. Exhaling through the nose is a joy with Golden Sliced. I still think it needs to be smoked in a pipe uncontaminated with non-Virginias, and a little old meerschaum of mine is getting new attention with these slices.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Initially, I was not sure what to think of this. The first couple of times I tried it I found it to be, as some others have said, rather tasteless. The key to success with this VA tobacco, I believe, is to smoke it in a small pipe. It works well in a cheap cob or a small briar and should be your first smoke on that day. When used in this manner, you will be rewarded with a light, sweet, natural VA taste that will have you putting this into your regular rotation. If you exclusively smoke English Mixtures, or if your tastes tend toward darker or scented VA flakes, you will probably not find this tobacco to be very satisfying. If you appreciate lighter VA's, however, you may want to give this a try. It is ready to smoke from the tin and does not need drying out. It burns slowly, yet stays lit fairly well. My biggest complaint is that it is so good that I tend to smoke it too fast and overheat the pipe. Highly recommended.

Aris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aris (8)

Naturally sweet,soft and satisfying.Very easy to smoke and enjoy especialy as a first smoke of the day.A Quality tobacco.Truly a classic.Highly Recommended.(Acid taste?I don'think so!)Aris.

pipehacker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipehacker (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

As soon as I went into a pipe tobacco shop, I found this pure VA smell. Did not wait any longer, I bought a dozen.

The one I got is 50g pouch package, which is not listed above. However it's not impacting the quality. Gloden leaf, sweety smell, dry enough for one match light.

I used to roll the weed without rub-it-out, which results in a slow, mild and cool breezing. Personally, I hate the final 1/3 that is smoky and full of nicotine.

During the whole process, an acid taste in the background.

It's good to keep some.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not much here to differentiate it from Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, except Golden Sliced is a bit brighter and sweeter blend.

This is also pretty much the same when comparing GS with Dunhill's Light Flake. GS is lighter and sweeter.

At the right temperature, GS is a candidate for all day enjoyment. It certainly is tasty and packaged beautifully to boot.

It has a fair amount of complexity and taste variation during a bowlfull for such a mild blend. I plan on keeping tins around to age.

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I must say, I hoped for more with this blend. Good points: It burns about as well as any tobacco on the market, medium strength (based on the amount of throat dryness I had), puts out a huge plume of smoke, and there is zero bite. The down side: Completely flavorless. Now, I don't mean no additive type flavor, I mean this blend doesn't really taste like tobacco, but rather a lightly perfumed smoke. There must be something about Burley that just doesn't agree with my taste buds. Not pleasant, not tasty, not for me. I guess since this blend is so cool and utterly flavorless, I can sneak it in to other blends just to burn it.

If you want a good pressed VA, stick to McCranies Red Flake, Rattray's Marlin Flake or go for the stoved Blacwoods Flake or Black Virginia.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Orlick Golden sliced is a step up in quality in comparison to other sliced blends such as Edgeworth. The tobacco rubs out easily, packs well, lights with no effort and is a damned fine smoke in general. It has a naturally sweet flavor and aroma from the virginia used in the blend. It's tasty, doesn't bite and really satisfies. It's very reasonably priced as well. I highly recommend giving it a try.

English Bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
English Bulldog (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

In the packet the tobacco smells vaguely like dried apricots mixed with the wholesome smell of 'true' near unadulterated tobacco. Early on there is not much taste but this changes as the bowl progresses. I can see this as being a popular all day smoke, none too heavy on the palet or taste wise. In my opinion it is best smoked unrubbed. Just grab a few flakes fold them, place finely rubbed tobacco on top and you are away!. It stays lit for a long time with minimal relights required. There is a subtle casing present, slightly rasiny but not cloying as with some other blends. The room note is none too strong, appreciated by non smokers and there is no throat tickle either which is a welcome variation from other blends. Tongue bite is virtually non existent-One must watch however that the tobacco does not burn too hot. For me the mid-bowl is most pleasant as there is some strength but not the sharp harshness that often eventuates with other blends. Probably not for beginners though as they may find it too bland. At first I must admit I thought I was smoking nothing more than hot air but as the tin level lowers one becomes aquainted with the subtle nuances of this tobacco. Highly recommended as a traditional 'old time' all day or even a light evening smoke. Enjoy:)

Blade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade (6)

My tin also says there is burley in this blend, so does my palate.

The VA is really good, almost great-on the light side, sweet, smooth, starts and finishes well, no real high light notes but no woody harshness either.

The burley is bland. This blend tastes as if Dunhill?s Light Flake had been blended with Carter Hall. C.H. is OK too, just very dry, bland and a little acrid. This very slight acrid taste is what I believe caused some of the previous references to a cigarette smell/taste.

Middle of the road for good tobacco, yes I could smoke it all day, if I didn?t have 4 other tins open.

Definite 3 star, not 4.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

To my palate and smoked months apart, this tobacco is very similar to but not as good as Reiner Long Golden Flake. (See that review). Some say OGS has a soapy taste. I never encountered it.

I rate this tobacco 7.5 out of 10

The Cellarmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Cellarmaster (13)

Upon opening this tin I found the aroma to be very subtle. The apperance of this tobacco was as the tin states golden slices. This tobacco rubed out with ease and the moisture content was ready for smoking. I found this tobacco to be rather one dimentional which could not hold my intrest. As I smoked my way through the bowl I had hoped that this tobacco would devlope some, by the end of the bowl I was still disapointed. Yes this was good quality tobacco to be enjoyed by many, I just found it to be rather boring.

tjsgarden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tjsgarden (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

For whatever reason this is my first review. Last night I finished a tin of this tobacco and have been reminding myself I need to order more. I quit my pipes for a couple years so inadvertantly I now have several 'aged' tins. For the past couple weeks, this two year old tobacco has been a steady enjoyable smoke. There is a good-quality virginian flavor that comes from quality tobacco. There are no dazzling world altering effects to this smoke. I think I enjoy the stable, steady consistant qualities of Golden Slices. Maybe it is like real good home cooking compared to exquisite dining cuisine. Eating out all the time makes me hungry for good ole home cooking. Too much of a good thing needs to be balanced out with some of the simpler pleasures. I am continuing to experiment with several other blends, but there is a simple yearning to return to a 'good' not great experience to keep things in perspective. It is darn good without being pretentious. I give it 3+ stars. John

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I tried Orlick Golden Slices for the first time a couple of years ago and thought it was bland. I just bought a tin and am making my through the tin quite easily.I don't know why I decided to try it again but I had only tried one bowlful and that is really not considered a proper trial for a tobacco. I learnt my lesson. It is a wonderful smoke. Very easy to rub out the Post-it note style slices. I think this is a Virginia/Burley blend. I have seen written that this has perique but I have yet to detect any perique on smoking it. It is extremely smooth and is pure tobacco taste-Danish style. No bite at all and a nice but certainly not overpowering flavor. The room note is pleasant and I find myself wanting more when I am done. All in all a good staple tobacco to have in ones rotation. 4 stars.

======================================================== update 11/9/04 Every time I return to this tobacco my opinion changes. It keeps getting better. This blend is wonderful. Smooth, lots of smoke, no tongue bite, easy flavor-an all day type, not overpowering but definitely there. I can see why some might not enjoy this blend as the flavors are subtle. This blend is definitely in my top 5 Virginia blends. It is not for everybody, but from the reviews one can see most people DO enjoy. 41/2 stars.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this in my least forgiving pipe. Tore off a 2 inch length of flake, folded twice and stuffed it in the bowl. Lit quickly with little fuss. One light tamp and minimal flame and off to the races. Lightest, smoothest flake ever. Light bite-free moderately sweet Virginnia-Burley flavor. I would not hesitate to inhale this tobac except I don't inhale on purpose. Probably too light a smoke for you Navy Flake lovers but a good change of pace. Would make a good introduction to flake-type tobacs. I think this would make a great all-day smoke. It burned clean, a long time, and very little heating of the bowl. Zero tongue-bite. The only downside to this tobac is the relative monochromatic character. This is true of most flakes in my experience. Highly recommended!

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

There are some very great blends that incorporate Burley, but this, sadly, isn't one of them. An easy smoke, for sure, but why bother? The tin is cute, the foil wrapper is a welcome sight, and the flakes are perfectly tooled, but the baccy itself is bland beyond belief.

Try the Strong Dark Kentucky if you think Orlik can't make a memorable blend.

Addendum,9/04: Over the years, I've traded tobaccos and opinions with upwards of fifty on-line acquaintances, and I still receive packages on a fairly regular basis from folks who would like my comments on a particular blend they've "discovered". For some inexplicable reason, I receive more samples or Orlik's Golden Sliced than any other blend. I appreciate the offerings, and am honored that someone would expend the time and effort to ask my opinion, but enough, already. Please- no more OGS. I can't think of a well known, highly reviewed bleand from a major producer that has LESS overall appeal.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

September 2004

This is obviously a well-made tobaacco, but it is far too mild for me and it reminds me of the cigarettes I smoked for two and a half decades. I must beg to differ with the reviewer who said this has no burley; my 100g tin specifically refers to the burley, and that burley flavor dominates over the Virginas for me. It definitely has less tongue bite than most Va flakes I've tried, but that can't make up for the light (albeit true tobacco)taste.

As an attorney with no aspirations for an appointment to the bench, I do not feel compelled to join all of the shrewd judges for whom this blend is required smoking. If anyone wants to send me an email at mmcnamee@mn.rr.com I will be happy to send you the remainder of my 100g tin!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco has a soapy/flowery/perfumy smell in the tin. Bergamot? But then I remember that freshly opened packs of cigarettes have a similar smell, so you might never say... The bergamot impression is reduced after a few days of opening. It also reminds me of tea. Think of a St Bruno (and also a bit of Erinmore) kind of flavoring but much much lighter. This flavoring isn't obtrusive or too evident in the smoke, but it still doesn't make me rave about it.

The flakes unrub very well and the taste is citrusy/grassy, with not too much sweetness, and some slight smokiness. Rather mild, IMHO. It burns very well, with almost no wetness, at a steady slow pace with little need for relights, and gets more complex towards the bottom

For me it's not a memorable tobacco: not bad, but way too mild and I don't appreciate much the grassy notes. I suspect that if you like Dunhill's Light Flake, you could easily like this one, too. When dried, the flavor intensifies, amplifying the grassy notes.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This's a very nice VA blend.The flavor is as you would expect sweet and nutty.It did'nt bowl me over, neither did it turn me off.Being an almost straight VA,it can easily be pushed to torturing your tongue.Give it a try,maybe you'll appreciate it more than I... prep

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

Golden Sliced is a Virginia flake with a little burley added to round out the flavor. I smoke it by cutting the flakes into 1 cm lengths and rolling the pieces. The rolls are topped in the pipe with a small amount of fully-rubbed tobacco and lit. Smoked this way, the tobacco lights easily, burns a long time, and does not bite.

The more I smoke this blend, the more I like it. Those who call it simple or boring probably have not spent enough time with it. The flavor is subtle but very pleasant, with citrus notes and warm darker Virginia tastes. I find it a comforting smoke that is particularly good in hot weather. If you like Virginia flakes, you will enjoy this one.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Every now and then I like a good VA flake. For the past year or so Mac Baren's VA Flake has been what I have turned to until I tried Orlik Golden Sliced. This blend burns extremely well whether rubbed or rolled. The taste is very mild with a slight natural sweetness. OGS does not bite nearly as much as MB VA Flake! I am not sure if it is because of the burley that is in OGS or that it is less cased than MB's but with OGS one does not need to keep a fire extinguisher handy while smoking.

Excellent quality VA-based flake without the harsh bite and casing.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I happened into a tin of said flake via a friend(Thanks!). Upon opening the rather quaint little red box, I was struck by the similarity of the contents to Caledonian 499. The cut and color of the tobacco is damn near identical. The taste...decidedly different. My sample was on the dry side, I have no idea of its age. Flakes rubbed out easily and I utilised this opportunity to break in a small Bjarne. Golden Sliced is quite tasty, albeit mild and will snap at you if a 'slow n steady' cadence is not employed. I found that several bowls had been consumed before I picked up the timid sweetness contained herein. One might say this blend is retiscient to blossom and requires gentle but determined encouragement. All considered, it smokes better in a taller pipe than a squat one and I will find a few more tins for the humidor. 07/04--My local has begun to carry this in bulk, which I find has a sweeter jar aroma but is very similar in flavor. Buy it, jar it, enjoy.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)

Orlik is a subsidiary of Peter Stokkebye International, Ltd., along with the W.O. Larson, Paul Olsen's My Own Blend, Skandinavik, and various Stokkebye lines of pipe tobacco. (See pstokkebye.com) I had anticipated that Golden Slices was going to be as bland as Stokkebye's Luxury Curly Cut, Luxury Navy Flake, etc. Fortunately, I was wrong. Golden Slices appears to be an all-VA flake and the square flakes are about the size of medium Post-Its. As with all of Stokkebye's varous brands and blends, these golden brown slices are simply gorgeous and of extremely high quality. However, when rolled up or gently rubbed out, put in a favored pipe and ignited, one is greeted by a sweet, fragrant plumes of smoke. I believe that Golden Slices may be lightly cased with honey or something similar, but I'm uncertain of this and the flavor may just be the natural sweetness of a well-made VA flake. Even better, the flavor does not diminish down the bowl and the constancy of this blend is its greatest attribute. It lights easily, stays lit but does not bite. Because Golden Slices tends toard the natural end of the tobacco spectrum and is not strictly an aromatic blend, its aroma is that of a bright VA and has a slight cigarette quality. I give this blend a grade of "A-".

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have just tried this blend.

Beautiful tobacco. I've read various descriptions of this tobacco over the years that has mentioned perique and burley - but on this particular tin it only says virginia.

This blend can be provoked to bite. I prefer to roll up part of a flake and put it in the bowl and then top the rolled piece with some finely rubbed out "shavings" just to get it all going.

What I love about this blend is the taste. This is a refreshing tobacco to me and has that "woody" virginia flavor that I so enjoy.

I smoke this in smaller bowled pipes and while I couldn't smoke it all day (it would end up biting my tongue off, I do very much appreciate this for what it is. Sublime!

PipeRain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeRain (1)
Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Wow. An interesting day to welcome back old friends. Today I rediscovered tobaccoreviews.com and Orlik Golden Slices.

I have had two tins of OGS on hand for about 4 years that I haven't touched for at least 3 years. Today seemed a good day to reaquaint myself with this blend as I used to use it for a morning smoke due to its light almost unnoticeable flavor. While others have said that there is no burley in this blend, the tin does mention burley, although I don't know the context as I can't read Danish or whatever language it is written in. Go figure.

On to the tobacco itsself. It is indeed light and pleasant, if somewhat bland. There may or may not be any burley in this blend, but something sure does taste like it. However I don't notice any anise. Someone mentioned that this tobacco likes a smaller bowl and I would agree with the addition that it seems to like a bowl that is fairly small at the heel as well.

All in all, a good smoke, but a bit too bland to qualify as an all day smoke for me.

As always, YMMV, don't hold me responsible if as a result of this review you find your pipe fouled, sullied, rendered less smokeable or posessed by demons from your trying this tobacco.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

* Update 2013.

Try it in a cob! It's magical this way. Especially in MMC's "Pony Express" with a small chamber.

I've known this wonderful flake since i was a kid. My best friends father, (who actually WAS a judge; shrewd? i don't know.) used to smoke this all day long and the sweet and delightful roomnote lingers in my memories. Then, many years later i began to smoke it myself, and everytime i am lead back to his home.

This is plain VA, i know some of the other reviewers mentioned both Burley and Périque. No burley but a tad Perique. I asked Orlik Tobacco Company if it was true; i have seen several online tobacconists describe the blend as a mix of VA and Burley. Their answer: "Pure Virginia". With all due respect to my fellow reviewers' taste buds i wouldn't dream of being gleeful, this is only plain info.

It has a very unusual topping i think. I detected notes of aniseed, citrus and Earl Grey Tea (bergamot). It packs and burns very well, and i tend to rub it slightly to keep chunks in between. This gives me a much more complex smoke.

I really hope that some of you are able to find an international supplier for the other blends from Orlik. They're all here in Denmark, and i think it's a shame that people from the US don't have a single chance to get hold of the other blends from Orlik. (see tobaccoreviews.com) Most of these blends are just as good (sometimes even better)as MacBaren's products, but without that famous burn!

Golden Slices are the epitome of Danish flake tobacco, but there are other Danish flakes that are even better, i think.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It seems that I'm going to be a voice in the choir for this blend. A very nice tasting Virginia with just a hint of Burley. Rubs out well and smokes even better. It has a mellow sweetness to it that reminds me of Virginia that's been aged a good long time. This is a tobacco to sit back and enjoy. I've dedicated one of my favorite Stanwells to this blend. I've only been introduced to this tobacco in the last year, but I won't be without this tobacco in my cellar again.

Peaches O'Malley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peaches O'Malley (10)

I must also thank all of the wonderful reviewers of this site, because of you I have discovered some great tobaccos that I otherwise may never have tried. This being one of them. GS is a fairly straightforward Virginia/Burley blend, naturally sweet and mildly fragrant. The flakes burn perfectly when rubbed out, and I think the burley helps keep away the toungue shredders. All in all this is a simple smoke for anytime of the day, very enjoyable to me. Thanks again to all of you!

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)

Orlick GS was recommended to me by another reviewer. The best way to summarize my thoughts is "Thanks!". This is yet another exceptional Virginia/Burley blend. I find that one of the most appreciated aspects of this tobacco is that it is drier than many of the others, which makes it a more "pipe friendly" VA out of the tin - the burley probably helps. In fact, I am able to simply rub it out and press it in the bowl. Presto! Nice, calming, sweet undercurrents of bliss. This is not as strong as the Rattray blends, IMHO, in the taste department, but the nicotine levels are just right. A good candidate for the every day smoke category, especially with new 50g easy-to-carry-around tins.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

One of the most balanced tobaccos in existence. Well rounded Virginia and Burley. Lightly sweet,and very satisfying. The best way I have found to smoke this is tear the flake in half,and carefully roll up each side and put it right into the pipe.An all day smoke, of exceptional quality.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

October-2003. Orlik Golden Slice.Rub's out nicely,& is easily lit,only requiring a second relight. The taste was very consistant,of both the Virginia & Burley.I find it to be quiet tasty,without the Virginia being over whelming,covering up the taste of the Burley.Over all,a very nice uncomplicated tobacco,that's not boring.And didn't bite. Smoke's fairly dry,to a nice clean ash. If you love Virginia,or Burley.Then you must try this.Highly recommended.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is one of those tobaccos that I find is neccessary to keep on hand for those times when nothing else will do. It has a very rich tobacco taste that seems to be mostly Burley. The closest thing to it I have tried so far is MacBaren's Navy Flake, one of my all time favorites. The overwhelming difference is in the casing. While MNF has a honey flavor to it, Golden Slices has only straight tobacco flavor on the palate. When opening the tin there is a definite anise aroma in the background, but I never tasted it in the smoke. The tobacco taste is so rich it is almost buttery. The Virginias make this a naturally sweet blend, but it is the nutty burley that is the prevalent flavor. This blend needs to be dried out a little right out of the tin or you will get bitten. Unlike MNF I also noted that you had to smoke this like a Virginia flake or you would get bitten anyway. Take it nice and slow however and you will be richly rewarded.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When opening the tin the golden and brown Virginia?s in a Navy Cut Flake looked to be very enticing. IMO there was very little aroma except that of the tobacco and the tobacco needs to be rubbed to fit the bowl of your choice.

I have smoked this in several sizes of bowls and enjoyed it's sweetness in my Peterson Prince. As the tobacco burned down towards the bottom the sweetness became even more enticing, with just the right amount of Burley added, I found no tongue bite with a cool a smoke.

Even though I only smoke this on occasion it could become one of my favorite all day tobaccos with very little persuasion.

When I smoked this in my Stokkebye with the larger bowl the taste was not as sweet, it burned a little hotter making it a little harsh on the tongue.

Smoke it slow, enjoy it longer

This is another foray into the virginia lanscape by this latakia addict and I have to say that once again, I have been pleasantly surprised. Upon opening the small tin, you are greeted by golden to medium brown flakes. They rub out easily, are at the perfect moisture for my taste, and pack easily. Lighting is two lights max and the burn is slow, leaving a grey fine ash when its all over. Taste is the surprise. It starts a little tart and sweet but mellows about mid-bowl to a pleasant straight -forward tobacco flavor. Toward the end is where this blend shines. You get a sweet, nutty finish that has you thinking about another bowl. The nicotine content is fairly low which is good for my sensitivity to it. Overall, this is a good, medium strength, all-day virginia that is perfect to cross-over if you are a latakia freak as I am..... enjoy.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

Here's a blend that offers nothing in the way of flavor. No berry, no cherry, no vanilla, no anything! Just plain "tobacco". How can anyone sell tobacco without it tasting like something! Just plain "tobacco"!!!

Opening the tin and looking in, you'll see this meticulously woven "tobacco". Like a young maiden's golden hair. How pretty she is..... without any perfumes or cosmetics. How naturally stunning she seems. No fake anything. Just plain "tobacco"!!!

I would have buried my nose into her to catch some scent of something but was afraid of messing up her hair...... I mean the "tobacco".!!!

As I tasted her, she was ever so slightly sweet but natural. Smooth, soft,..."tobacco". Dominate Virginia with a touch of Burley.

Just plain "tobacco"......... I married her.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Another blend I've smoked off and on for years before I finally gained a little appreciation for it. I like it- it combines the spice of a well aged Virginia with a slightly nutty taste. The flakes do tend to be difficult to break up, but does that really matter? I'll go out on a limb and say this would be the best tobacco for somebody leaving aromatics for a natural one. BTW- I never noticed any of the soapy taste/aroma others have mentioned. It burns extremely cool too, for what it is.

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)

Thanks to a timely trade on ASP, I gained a tin of this age old favorite dated 1998. I would not likely have purchased this tobacco on my own due to my lack of appreciation for Burley. I'm glad I took this in trade, and will likely puchase more.

Visual: Nothing terribly noteworthy about the appearance of this flake tobacco. Chestnut brown with a few gold streaks through it. These flakes were a little thicker than I am used to, but I liked that.

Texture: The flakes were coated with a dusting of sugar crystals, and had to be pulled apart. Once in hand for rubbing, thay had a very leathery feel, and resisted the first fold before rubbing out nicely into a pile of short strings.

Pack/Pipe: I packed this just a little firmer than my usual flake technique, meaning just a bit over gravity fed. Although I smoked this tin in my entire VA pipe rotation, it really took to a pair of Nording freehands, and a conical bowled Von Erck. It was still enjoyable in a half dozen Ashton xx pots & apples, but seemed to like taller bowls better.

Lighting/Burn: When fresh, this occasionaly took three matches to get rolling well, but once the tin had been open for a couple of weeks, the lighting was typical - One match to char, and one to get almost all the way to the bottom. I usually needed one final match to smoke the last 1/8th of the bowl. Nice slow burn, with temperatures remaining high throughout the bowl.

1st 3rd: After lighting, there was a little bit of bitterness to get through, but after the first 2 mintes, we are underway with a suprisingly tangy and flavorful smoke. I guess I wasn't expecting so much VA tang with a heavy Burley content, and was pleasantly surprised.

2nd 3rd: Heat reached it's highest levels here. not so much on the tongue as it was bowl heat. The flavor is fairly consistent with the tang just slightly muted and the Burley coming through strong. Great amounts of smoke with this blend.

Final 3rd: Tang is still there, and the smoke has cooled a bit. Still lots of white/blue smoke rolling off the bowl, and plenty in the mouth. This blend seldom became unpleasant at the bottom which is a big plus in my book. Leaves a fine white ash that packs down firmly in the bottom of the bowl.

Notes: Considering I had already presumed Golden Sliced to be a mediocre smoke, with taste most resembling a cigarette.I was pleasantly surprised. As a matter of fact, the last flake was the best. I usually am ready to move on by the end of the tin, but this one left me wanting more. Considering this tin was 5 years old when I opened it, I better pick some up for 2008!

Stogie rating: 8 Pristine Punch

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

I smoke a bowl of Golden Sliced a day. Most of the good things about the tobacco have already been said above. However, a faint burly flavor can be tasted in the very back of the palate if you exhale through the nose slowly. And I like this effect. Otherwise, this tobacco delivers a tasty, well-behaved Virginia flavor. Some sort of neutral sweeter has been added, but does not interfere with the tobacco taste. It is quality tobacco, and I agree it could easily be an all day smoke. I would classify it with Luxury Twist Flake, with less pronounced flavor in the sweetener and less bitter aftertaste, which is not a criticism of LTF. Highly recommended. Paddy.

Henry B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry B (11)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

There would be no Henry B - the pipesmoker, if there wasn't Orlik Golden Sliced. For the most part of my pipe smoking career this has been my favourite tobacco. This said, I will not repeat in entire length the qualities of this fine tobacco, that others before me have adequately mentioned, but just give a couple of hints to obtain full pleasure from it. As always, I am being very objective (not really): First, you should devote one (or more) pipe(s) to it, and though it will not interfer with other natural tobaccos, this one will not tolerate any Gawith Hoggarth or Rattray's very well. As a morning smoke, smoke it in a small bowl. It will have a refreshing effect and get you going for the day. As an afternoon smoke, have it with some coffee. I love to sit in the sun on my porch with a huge bowl of this and a steaming mug of my favourite Kenia coffee blend. As an evening smoke, do not pair this with alcoholic beverages with a strong taste. It will ruin the taste of the tobacco.

I let it dry out quite a bit; a freshly opened tin will sit on my desk for at least two days, before I fill a bowl with it. This increases the spiciness. I can understand why this is (allegedly) the most popular tobacco in Denmark. It is perfect for a windy outdoor smoke and will not let you down ever, even if it rained and you relight the bowl after a couple of hours inside. The taste is smooth with hints of honey, anise or licorice. Sometimes it reminds me of caraway ("Kuemmel"). Give it a try.

Theodoric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodoric (8)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my preferred everyday Navy Virginia. It is rather inexpensive, and tastes (in my opinion) as good as many more expensive varieties. It burns evenly and reliably, and is always very cool. For special occasions, I enjoy Dan Tobacco's Patriot Flake, which is a bit stronger, but this is good for everyday.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

When I tried this tobacco for the first time, I found it rather bland, and put aside the tin for about two months. However, after browsing through the opinions of others, I gave it another try. I really must concur. There are no surprises in this little red tin, just excellent tobacco. It burns well, and provides a good, satisfying flavour. I'm glad I returned to this blend.

As an afterthought, this tobacco is extremely tolerant of relights. Just this evening, I allowed a bowl of tobacco to sit on my desk for five hours before attempting to relight it. Mellow and enjoyable, just as before. ================================== Update: I am a Canadian living in Taiwan. Most of my days here are great. There are, however, some extremely unpleasant days. Today, for instance. So, upon completing my classes, I visited a local karaoke bar with some friends. I decided to indulge some vices. I enjoyed a good cigar, some wonderful Wilson's cherry menthol snuff, and, finally, a bowlful of Golden Sliced. I didn't take much care in rubbing it out or in packing, but this tobacco delivered a glorious, mellow smoke. A bad day has been mended. This is good baccy.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In addition to writing a novel instead of a pipe review, the above author better check what he was smoking before writing his review of Golden Slices. There is no word of Perique being in the blend in the description - and I'll guarantee you there is no hint of Perique at anytime during the smoke. Now, having said all of that, Golden Slices is one heck of a fine tobacco!

If you like pure tobacco taste that carries just a tiny hint of sweetness, then this stuff will work for you. It contains enough nicotine to satisfy the most ardent veteran, and because it does taste like tobacco, I suggest that aromatic fanciers look elsewhere.

Because it is a flake, it can be rubbed out to any degree you like. The slices are just a tad on the moist side, so, some may prefer to let it air out a bit before smoking. I like to fully rub my flake tobacco and find the 'baccy dries quicker that way.

If you want a light and flavorful tobacco tasting smoke that can be enjoyed all day long, then look here. If you want something sweeter and less tobaccoyee, then look elsewhere.

If you are into straight Virginias, Orlick Golden Sliced (Orlik in the tin) seems to me very close to a perfect all day smoke. It is a lovely, soft, golden flake, with some Burley in it (enough to give the blend a very subtle unsweetened chocolaty background flavour, without ever being blatantly present), mild in strength, yet quite flavoursome. Unlike Full Virginia Flake or Best Brown Flake (which are also very good, albeit rather stronger), Golden Sliced is very easy to break and pack. The lightening process is also quite simple, and it burns pretty cool. The taste is pure tobacco (except for those underground Burley notes), simple and subtle, producing a nice room atmosphere, which does not seem to bother tolerant non smokers. It lacks the zesty sweetness of Light Flake (Dunhill?s is darker in colour), but it is simpler to smoke. No tongue bite, no gurgle, no particular attention needed to fully enjoy it. A very good option both for the beginner and the established Virginia smoker. Highly recommended.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I do not disagree with the esteemed Tantric, except to say that the added Burley makes this a dull smoke for me. Yes, nothing objectionable, and quite easy for simple country folk to enjoy, but nothing whatever memorable about this.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Because some of my friends, whose tastes I admire, really like this stuff, I really wanted to like it, too. But I think what I learned from this nicely-made but ultimately boring flake is that I'm just not a Burley Guy. If you're a Burley Guy, I expect you will eat this stuff with a spoon. If you're not, you may decide like me that you like Mac Baren Navy Flake better than you like this near relative. To its credit, I must note that this flake is wonderfully made, and has wonderful burning characteristics. I also must note that I haven't tried Golden Slices in a cob. This is further proof that I just can't hang with the Burley Guys, who smoke by-god burley in nasty old cobs, talk like sailors, and have a great old time. This is a really nice tobacco, but I just don't love it enough to stock it in my own cellar.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Unnoticeable

From the distributor: Louisiana Perique adds zesty new life to the flavor of flue-cured Virginia tobacco. Flake slice cut, this attractive, non-aromatic blend encompasses a delectable span of flavor intensities from mild to medium in strength.

Tin aroma: The tin emits a tart aroma with a subtle, creamy undertone. I?m looking for the smell of Virginias here as promised by the description provided by the distributor, but mostly what I?m picking out seems to be a flavoring of some kind. Appearance: Wide strips of mottled flake, looking to my eyes something like beef jerky. The tobacco is mostly brown in color, with flecks of darker browns and gold evident in the strips.

Packing: Getting these flakes down to bits that are easily packed requires some effort. Perhaps this is why so many enjoy rolling the flake up to put into the bowl.

Initial flavor: The match touches the leaf and hey, presto! Here is that floral/soapy flavor I?ve heard about from other pipe smokers. Evident also is the sweet sharpness expected from the Virginias.

I?m looking now for the spicy note of Perique, but it doesn?t seem to be available, even when the smoke is exhaled through the nose. There isn?t any Burley flavor I can pick out, unless this is what carries the soap.The tobacco doesn?t seem to want to stay lit.

Mid bowl: The tobacco has settled into a nice, even burn. The soapy flavor has abated somewhat, but is still in very much in evidence. The Virginia flavor is somewhat full, but unexciting. The soapy flavoring is too much competition, I think for the normally delicate flavor of Virginia tobacco.

The Perique makes itself known with the occasional zesty note across the palate.

Just past the midway point, in the midst of a not-very-aggressive bout of puffing, the pipe begins to overheat at the same time a feeling of light-headedness makes the nicotine content of this blend known. Time to set the pipe down for a rest.

The relight brings a nice rush of sweet Virginia flavor, the first really outstanding Virginia taste in the bowl so far. The soap quickly makes a comeback, though.

Final: The tang and sweetness of the Virginia tobacco has now moved just slightly ahead of the soap, but the smoke has become very hot. The zesty Perique continues to make itself known by littles, but doesn?t add much to the smoking experience.

I have looked for Burley flavor throughout the bowl and have not been able to find it. That is, again, unless this is what is carrying the soap flavor.

The tobacco has burned hot through the entire final third of the bowl without regard to my puffing technique.

The tobacco burns down to a rough dark ash.

Summary: I believe that the soapy/floral flavor provided by this tobacco could become an acquired taste. However, I don?t intend to put in the time and effort that it would take to acquire it. The soap too much overwhelms the Virginia flavor and the tobacco is too ill behaved for me.

If you?re looking for a nice Virginia/Perique blend, look elsewhere. There are many other Virginia/Perique blends out there, and some of them are legendary. This one is not.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)

This is a thin cut flake composed of medium brown color with quite a bit of bright yellow birdseye. The flakes wrap over and under themselves in the tin. I keep it on the moist side in the tin. I break off what I need and let it dry out before smoking it. The tin aroma is definitely pressed Virginia with a strong citrus overtone. This is similar to Hamborger Veermeister. The latter being a thicker, shorter, and darker flake with a deeper and somewhat lighter citrus aroma. On any given day, I may prefer one over the other.

This can be smoked rolled or rubbed out. I prefer to rub it out. It can be rubbed out to a coarse cut all the way down to a cigarette cut. Smoking flavor is a medium Virgina with a mild lemon flavor with some peppery moments. The burley in the blend is noticeable and helps tame any tendency towards tongue bite. During the smoke, it tastes like straight Virginia tobacco with burley fading in and out. Nicotine content is decent. There is a mild zing when blown out through the nose. Taste varies throughout the bowl, as the Virginia and the Burley dance back and forth. It does gain a bit of strength near the end. If kept on the dry side, it burns clean to the bottom of the bowl, with no dottle, to a whitish gray ash. Room aroma is cigarette like. It is part of my regular tobacco rotation. I plan to always have some around.

The statement on the tin, 'smoked by all shrewd judges' speaks for me. If you want to taste just good tobacco in a nicely pressed flake, give this a try. Some may consider it bland without aromatic flavors but to me you taste sweet, rich VA. A smooth, cool smoke with no hint of bite.

Kendal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kendal (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very smooth smoke. No bite at all. Nice and mellow with a hint of sweetness.