Blended with just the right proportion of Golden Virginia and Burley, the basic blend of Toasted Cavendish tobaccos takes on a zesty dimension. This mixture gets better as you smoke it all day long.

BrandLane Limited
4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A solid four stars on the aromatic chart for me. RLP-6 is called Ram at my local tobacco shop and is the shop's number two seller. It produces a nice sweet taste (chocolate/vanilla), and absolutely will not bite. A slow smoke produces little dottle. Rev up your smoking cadence and you will need to swab the lower deck with a paper towel once the tobacco has been consumed.

The cut is rather thick (broad cut), but it burns very evenly and stays lit extremely well for an aromatic blend. If your veins hunger for nicotine you'll starve them with this blend.

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A real classic amongst the aromatics....never hot, stays lit, and has an aroma that everyone absolutely loves. On top of all that, it has a tobacco taste that keeps me buying it. It is good tobacco with a very acceptable casing. If I smoke an aromatic.....and I do about a third of the time....it is this one.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (23)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

My all time favorite aromatic smoke... I am more of an English blend smoker, but when the urge to smoke an aromatic strikes, I always reach for this.

A bonus to smoking RLP is the room note... Anytime I am smoking this whilst walking in public, positive comments on the aroma are always offered up by multiple passers by. AND, at home, El Dictator not only allows me to smoke indoors, she actually encourages it!

It is consistently very smooth, no bite whatsoever, smokes evenly down to the bottom of the bowl with very little dottle. A nice thick white smoke throughout the bowl, with mainly vanilla notes at the beginning, then mellow pure tobacco notes toward the end.

This is very similar to Captain Black, but minus the overwhelming stickiness from the propylene glycol additives Captain Black no doubt uses to preserve moisture for years. RLP also has more true tobacco taste.

Highly recommended if you are looking for a really smooth smoking aromatic and crowd pleaser.

PIPE JACKAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIPE JACKAL (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

very nice blend. i and a big english guy and this is the only "smelly good" blend i have found that i enjoy all day long

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (14)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

A very nice aromatic tobacco that lights easy and smokes well from start to finish. I think this is perhaps one of the most underrated Lane offerings falling behind blend like1Q but much less sticky and more flavorful!

Pipe Used: Country Gentleman

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

Geschichtlich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geschichtlich (4)

An excellent, honest blend with just the mildest hint of aromatic essence and a cool, smooth profile. I was pleasantly surprised to have found it as enjoyable as I did, favoring as I do either woodsy, leathery aromatics or strong Latakia blends. I would characterize RLP-6 as a pure tobacco simulation for those who really don't favor the experience of pure Virginia and Burley tobaccos. Lane has tossed enough Cavendish in there to polish off the hard edges typical of Virginias and make one imagine briefly that he's a bit more rugged than he is.

Not too much moisture, lit easily, burned all the way without a relight, pleasing aroma (as many have mentioned), and a smooth, uncomplicated flavor. I can't imagine that this would top anybody's list overall, but if this is what passes for average, then we live in a terrific world.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Of all the aromatics I smoke, this one is my dominant choice. A very consistant blend. Sweet, but not overly so. The moisture level can be a pain on the first light, but after a tamp and relight, it burns smoothly to the bottom of the bowl, with a very small amount of dottle left behind. The room note is nice as well. I've heard others say things about a vanilla taste. I'm not sure about that one. I can't put my finger on the exact flavor. The pouch scent is akin to raisins or prunes. You have to puff aggressively to get this stuff to bite, and it can if you smoke like a freight train. Puffed gently, it's really smooth. Exhaled through the nose, you catch some wonderful flavors. I smoke this all day, and after several years of smoking this, it is still my favorite aromatic. I added some latakia to it one time (big mistake) turkish might have been a better choice. Not as sweet as 1Q, give it a try, you might be mildly surprised.

My one peeve for this blend, are the occasional twigs mixed in with the leaves.

Russtafarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Russtafarian (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Out of the pouch this was the best of my sampler. Full of flavor, a little fruity and juicy. The flavor has decreased over the past two weeks but maybe only 20%, its still flavorful and I will be getting this again.

Excellent room note.

Rev. Avery Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Avery (9)

I must admit to loving this tobacco. It is consistent every bowl. The flavor is great and the fragrance is too. If you're looking for an everyday tobacco that won't disappoint, give this a try. It's not just for newbies; old-timers like it too :-)

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

RLP6.. One of my 1st choices for a mild all day Cavendish plus blend. A little more varied flavors than BCA, by the same manufacture. I've smoked this stuff on and off for years.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)

RLP-6. One of the first pipe blends I fell in love with.Perfect for beginners and a must try for anyone that ever fires up an aromatic. A wonderful aroma and taste that never bites no matter how badly its smoked. Just the right amount of a light vanilla/spice sweetness with a mellow tobacco taste in the background. Combine these attributes with the fact that it can still be had for $2.00 per ounce in my neck of the woods and you've got yourself a classic blend at a bargain price!

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

STILL A GOOD CONSISTANT BLEND I GIVE THIS TOBACCO 4 STARS ON THE MERIT OF PRICE$$$$. SOLD AS A VERSION OF CAPTAIN BLACK WITHOUT CHEMICALS?? CB IS DEFINETLY BETTER IN THE ROOM NOTE DEPARTMENT. THIS BLEND IS BETTER IN THE SMOKE DEPARTMENT AND MUCH BETTER ON RELIGHTS. THE BURLEY NUTTY FLAVOR WILL KICKS IN IT IS REALLY ENJOYABLE. ALL IN ALL A GOOD SMOKE. I LIKE THIS MUCH MORE THEN CB. CB IS OVER FALVORED. I WILL ADD THIS TO MY ROTATION BLENDS OF AMERICAN TOBACCO BLENDS

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When I need a tobacco that never gives me surprises,this is the one I turn to. After latakia and virginia blends it gives my mouth a rest. Exceptional and always in rotation . Great flavor for an aromatic/meaning it holds up well during the smoke, and has a wonderful aroma. You can't go wrong with this! For a change you could try HGL from Lane as well. It's basically the same thing with a small amount of latakia added.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

After smoking this fine blend for several years, I was brought up short by Pipestud's review to the realization that I have never reviewed it. Dang!

This, to me is not an aromatic; just a fine, friendly, rich and tasty blend that can hold your attention without being pushy. It comes in a combination of light and dark flakes that are a little too moist as received. No sticks! After a little drying, packs and lights extremely easily, stays lit well, smokes cool, and starts out with a smooth and flavorful taste that lasts to the bottom without gaining any harshness. The pouch smells strongly of chocolate and I can not discern any other flavors other than good, honest baccy. However, after lighting this up, the chocolate disappears and all that is left is a good, mellow aged burley taste that hangs in there with you to the very end. Pushed by Pipestud's comment about the lack of bite, I started from a half bowl down and tried to get it to bite and just couldn't get it done.

This is, IMO, a good, honest smoke that is one of my very favorites and will be kept on the shelf regularly. Also, highly recommended for newbies. If you haven't tried it, you should!

greekthinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greekthinker (18)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is Lane's gourmet version of Capt. Black White. People around you will almost always prefer the aroma of the Capt. Black version, whereas those who actually smoke it will prefer the taste and lack of bite in the RLP6. The suggestion here is that whatever makes the Capt. Black smell better is also responsible for the extra bite - although the bite is not terrible, just noticeably more than in the RLP6. Those of you who have experienced the Capt. Black Royal and it's gourmet equivalent 1Q, might make a similar comparison. There is a reason that Capt. Black is the world's best seller and better living through chemistry is at least a part of it. I like this blend more than any of Lane's aromatics. In fact, to date, I have not found any aromatic I like more. The Burley in this blend contributes to the body of the smoke which is heavy and dark - not light and steamy. The other gourmey versions of Capt. Black, 1Q and MV1000 do not have any Burley. The taste and aroma of this aromatic is not sharp and fruity like a cherry or other fruit-flavored blend. This is Vanilla, marshmellow, caramel - maybe a little burnt marshmellow, but not syrupy like maple flavor. It might be called a woodsy taste and room note. It remains my favorite.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

BCA is a real disapointment on its own. However, add an equal amount of Latkia and a third of perique, mix and seal it in a vaccume sealer heavy duty bag and let it set a month or so and you have a neat crossover blend that will make your mouth water.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Being primarily a smoker of Burley and the occasional English blend, I still keep a large tobacco jar of this stuff on my desk, for when the desire for an aromatic strikes, it always satisfies. Similar to Captain Black White, you will find that that traditional drug store counterpart pales in comparison to the rough cut RLP-6. Better tobacco, better cut and far less humectant are what sets the two lightyears apart. Delicious chocolate and vanilla combine with Burley and Virginia to create one fine smoke.

Still costing roughly $20.00 USD per pound in most places, it's an economical smoke as well. I give it the highest marks.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Some tobacconists will tell you that Lane RLP-6 is the "premium version" of Captain Black White Label. While the two blends are somewhat similar, they are not the same thing. While they are both made with the same casing, there are distinct differences in the two blends.

RLP-6 is more of a rough cut rather than the ribbon cut used in some of the tobaccos in Captain Black. RLP-6 seems to contain a higher grade leaf and considerably less casing than it's drugstore counterpart. It also has considerably less humectant added. It also lacks a certain harshness that is common with Captain Black.

This blend is a nice, all around aromatic that is available in most boutique tobacco shops under a myriad of names. It's reasonably priced. In some stores, you can find it for less than $20.00 a pound. Smoked properly, you could smoke this all day without suffering tongue bite.

It smokes slow and cool for an aromatic. Unlike so many of the Lane blends that have been discontinued, RLP-6 seems to have survived the Conwood ownership of Lane Ltd.

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Higher end version of captain black. Good bulk aromatic, but black cordial in my opinion is a better choice in this range.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

RLP-6 is the bulk equivalent of Captain Black White. The advantage here is that it doesn't contain any of the preservative normally found in the drugstore "White Label".

Though there is nothing particularly complex about the blend, it is significant in that Lane Limited and the Captain Black line are the most widely available in the world. Primarily a Burley/Va Cavendish blend, it has a vanilla over note that everyone recognizes. Mild to medium in flavor, I recommend this to every smoker.

It was the first tobacco I smoked over 20 years ago when taking up the pipe. I still keep it around, in bulk, to reset my taste buds.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

This is another one of those so-so aromatics. My biggest problem with this blend is that it simply has little flavor. I felt like the flavor was a lot of steam with a bit of sweetness.

Really, Lane makes good quality tobaccos. If you like bulk aromatics, this is worth a try, it may be your blend. For me, it just didn't offer enough. I would recommend 1Q first. However, I'd definitely buy this before any drug store blend.

It was just too mild for me. Try it, it might just be your all-day blend.

renoguard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renoguard (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I finally bought myself another pond of this from my local tobbaconist (FUMARE, here in Reno, Nv.). He actually marketed it as Cpt. Black White. I asked him if it was Cpt.Black, or Lane RLP-6. He advised me that it was Lane RLP-6.

In my opinion, Cpt. Black can't hold a candle to RLP-6. Cpt. Black is one of my favarite everyday pipe tobaccos, but for some reason RLP-6 is a lot better. Now that I found a local place who sells it, I filled my humidor with it.

Lane RLP-6 has less garbage in it (preservatives, ect.). There is a lot less moisture when I smoke it and I can taste more of the tobacco and still have the sweet casings. It has less bite as well.

I notied that is a little bit easier to fill a pipe with since it is cut finer. The price is a lot better too:-). Here in Reno, you can gat a whole pound for about the same price as a 12 oz. can of Cpt Black (roughly $25 plus change). You can also get it online at certain places for about 20 bucks plus shipping.

If you like Cpt. Black, you will LOVE this. Not only is it non-smoker friendly as well as for the smoker who is smoking it but it is more wallet friendly to boot :-).

highlander999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
highlander999 (8)

I really like this aromatic. A little rougher cut than 1Q, and a little more aroma. The tobaccanist suggested I even try a little mixed with 1Q, and that was very nice too.

While I won't discuss casings and all of the technical stuff, that's been discussed quite indepth, I'll say that I really enjoy this blend. And when my friends are around they enjoy my smoking it.

I like it better than the White Captain Black, that in a pinch I will buy, living a ways from a tobaccanist. The RLP6 is much more enjoyable.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

As others have noted, this is very similar to Captain Black, I would put it inbetween C.B. White and C.B. Gold. Not as pronounced as White but stronger than Gold. That being said I very much enjoy Captain Black Royal (Blue), and had hoped to find a similar companion, but this is not it. Recommended for those who want a medium flavored light vanilla cavendish.

10/02/2004: A very good all-day smoke. As previous reviewers have stated it bears a resemblance to Capt. Black. Which version of Capt. Black I don't know. I'm not going to smoke all 4 or 5 varieties of that overpriced Drugstore brand to find out. My first encounter with this blend was not positive. Much later, I tried some in a Dr. Grabow filter pipe and it was a very tasty experience. It is a fairly coarse tobacco compared to most pouch types and actually tastes like tobacco. The Virginia in particular was obvious and the different tobaccos made their presence felt as the smoke went on. This smoke lasted a good while too. The casing is a bit heavy for straight tobacco fans and tasted mostly like a light vanilla flavor. To sum up, in the American aromatic category, this one is a standout. Just don't get carried away with the great taste and let the pipe get hot or it will turn on you! It smells very nice and doesn't smell too artificial either. Revised: The aroma/ flavor is closer to caramel. I smoked a bowl in a medium Grabow and it must have lasted 20 minutes! No gunk or tar in the bowl. Just a fine white ash.

11/17/2006 Update: Better than Capt. Black. Inexpensive.

Cinema Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cinema Bill (7)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

To get the most from this blend fill a medium to large bowl pipe. Smoke slowly. And since it is non-cloying, this mixture truly gets better as you smoke it all day long.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

To date, this has to be one of my favorite aromatics. The cut is rough, allowing a cooler, slower burn, providing a taste of real tobacco. The flavoring is such that it is not too wet or dominating. The room note is extremely pleasant, receiving only the finest compliments from my wife. The flavoring matches the room note when smoked - a caramel, toffee, dessert like Starbuck's experience.

Other reviewers have compared this to a premium Captain Black. Unless my local tobacconist has accidentally swapped labels between RLP6 and LL7, I do not think RLP6 compares to Captain Black. I would call LL7 a premium version of Captain Black. I could be mistaken, as it's been 15+ years since I've smoked that amateur stuff; however, the aroma & taste of the early days plus the years a young child covets the aroma of his father's tobacco pouch sort of stays with you for life. Read my review on LL7 if you wish.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is readily available at my local pipe shop, and according to the tobacconist, he sells more of this than any other 5 blends put together. The aroma of it being smoked by someone else is what caught my attention to inquire about it.

This has the zestiness of a good lighter VA and the burley adds a buttery aftertaste that is very palpable. A simple smoke with a good flavor and aroma that packs easy, burns clean, dry and to a fine grey ash all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

4 out of 4.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the few blends I can get easily where I live...

It is a typical Lane Cavendish confection, and a classic American cased aromatic. This is indeed similar to Captain Black, but it has better burning characteristics. There is less moisture, so it is much drier in the pipe. Folks around will love the smell. Is it chocolate? Vanilla? Who knows for sure? It doesn't have much tobacco taste, and that is why it isn't one of my favorites. It could be a nice inexpensive all day blend for the fancier of sweet aromatics. It will make your handkerchief drawer smell great...

Pipe Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Guy (23)
Mild Very Mild Overwhelming Pleasant

When I first tried this tobacco, I thought it had some potential to make it into my regular rotation. It seemed to taste good and smoke well. However, the last couple of bowls I've smoked have been horrible, and I couldn't even finish these last couple of bowls because of the heat and bad taste. When I lit up the tobacco, I experienced nothing but a harsh bitterness that tasted like a bar of soap. The tobacco also smoked very, very hot. I don't think any tobacco I've smoked has ever heated up a pipe like this stuff did. The tobacco's taste did seem to mellow out a little after a few minutes, but it was still too harsh/soapy- tasting. I don't know why this baccy went from yummy to crummy, but I'm not going to smoke any more of this stuff to find out.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

I tried this as an alternative to Capt Black. Everything I read said it was Capt Black without the additives. Well, it isnt Capt Black. It tastes very different, but that isnt a bad thing. It packs well, lights well, isnt too moist or too dry. Funny thing is it has a kind of chocolate taste and smell. Not very much though. Of course my FAVORITE thing about it is the price. There is just something that has to be said about a decent smoke that is not expensive. I am still trying new tobaccos, but I will keep this around for a long while.

UPDATE: After smoking this awhile, I have decided it is a good rotator, but is no longer a favorite. I don't know what happened, but thats ok. There are still thousands for me to try. Not a bad tobacco. Maybe a good blender, although I haven't tried that yet.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have to agree that this is a visually appealing tobacco. And the price is right. But as to the assertion that this is Captain Black in bulk, I have a suggestion - pack a bowl of each and smoke them. While RPL-6 is similar, they are not the same animal. Cousins, yes. Twins? No.

A Side Note : If you mix 2oz RLP-6 to 1oz Lane's BCA you will have a blend that comes closer to Captain Black (White) at first. As the flavors marry over a few weeks, you will get a wonderful spicy, pepper flavored blend. Quite tasty!

Back to RLP-6. Nice and light, and a good all-day smoke. The room note is quite nice. You will get compliments. If smoked slowly, and it wasn't too wet to begin with, RLP-6 will burn clean and dry. Toward the end, you may even get a tobacco flavor. One-dimensional - but for an all-day smoke, that can be a good thing. Who wants to waste an expensive complex tobacco at a time when you can't take the time to concentrate on it? Not me. That's when I grab something like RLP-6. I almost always have some of this on hand.

Excellent for newbies.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

This one isn't bad. Nice, smooth and pleasant. A toasted Cav with a touch of Va and Burley. Not very strong. Very little "kick" (something that I like). However, the taste makes up for it.

Nice change of pace. Good for an ounce a year.

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (5)

I bought a couple ounces of this blend based on the reviews here (a solid 3.0) and was not disappointed. The pouch note is a deep dark fruit (think figs or raisin) overlaid with vanilla. The cut is a broad, rough ribbon, and yes a few stems but no worries really.

Light up is lovely and this is where the Virginia and especially Burley make themselves known in this dark tobacco. Those who call it a lightly aromatic American are right. No real bite, but even with sipping my rather thin-walled Falcon bowl was rather warm - a reminder to slow down. Even without much drying this blend burns beautifully, with only a couple re-lights, but not because it needed them. Left a small wet dottle, but almost nothing made it through into the Falcon's aluminum bowl.

More than a few others pointed out this blend's better quality tobaccos that made their presence lightly and pleasantly known throughout the smoke. Call it a tobacco-forward, light aromatic. Very nice, easy smoking - one that burns so well you'll let it go out just to take a break. Would absolutely buy again, without question over 1Q.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Age When Smoked: 3 weeks

Purchased From: Local tobacconist as his house "special"

Similar Blends: 1Q and the Captain (White).

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I enjoy Lane tobaccos, specially Captain Black Royal... but not this. It haves flavour, taste ans smell of...pure tobacco, not scented as aromatic. An very commom Burley-Virginia. only one Star...

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 48

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Mild, Smooth, Mellow, good Room Note and Flavor but smokes a little Hot

cturnitsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cturnitsa (9)

Very good, solid in every way. Could easily become an "all day smoker" candidate in my list of favorites.

Strikes a very nice aromatic note both in the jar, and while burning. The stronger cavendish used here gives it a slightly stronger flavor (and smoke) than Lane's 1Q, but still not strong. Burns nice and even, and resists getting too hot.

I smoked my most recent bowl while working away at a project on my hobby workbench, and sometimes I lose track and begin puffing a bit hot - that happened to me with a Sutliff aromatic. My next bowl was RLP-6, and while puffing at the same rate, it was nice and cool throughout. Very enjoyable - Recommended (for me) only slightly less so than 1Q for a Lane aromatic. On a day when I am after a little more flavor in the smoke, it might even rival 1Q.

Dartan4114 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dartan4114 (4)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

As most people know, tobacconists use Lanes and other bulk blends and call them something else. I was surprised to find out how many different times I had tried this from various shops and knew it tasted almost the same but wasn't quite sure until I started asking. I really enjoy this as an alternative to my BCA because it has more layers of flavor coming from the Burley and Virginia. This has all the ease of BCA with deeper flavor.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Smells ok in the pouch and that is where it ends will not buy again.

RusticAuthor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RusticAuthor (5)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Fruity pouch aroma (I detect a hint of cherry). Surprisingly easy to light and keep lit, considering the moistness of my sample (some sizzling developed about midway through the bowl). Pleasantly sweet, vanilla aroma while smoking, from top to bottom of bowl. Smooth to the palate. No bite whatsoever, and no detectable nicotine kick. This would be an excellent all day smoke. Also, it's hard to beat the price. Highly recommended.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

well i was given a sample of both 1q and rpl-6 during last chicago pipe show i ended up buying 2pounds of 1q and never looked back on the rpl- 6 not to say its not good but as they compared it to captain black white (they might look similar in color and consistency) however i found captain black more bolder when it comes to vanilla flavoring as for repl-6 i found it to be more of fruity hints to it, very mild though. i think the cavendish they placed took over the play ground and overcame any other complexity they intended to have. now for the good parts the moisture is quite allright and the room note is acceptable and the burning quality is better than captain black or 1Q. i smoked it in a normal speed (and iam a fast puffer)without being overprotected and it gave me no problem. its for the smoker who wants a mild less flavored aromatic for an all day (relatively cheap)tobacco.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)

I was recommended to try this seeing as how I like Captain Black White. The person said this was better but for my taste I have to disagree. I find though this blend is very similar it is much milder. I bought it in bulk. It is a pleasant smoke...a nice flavour....I prefer Captain Black White ...it's a stronger overall flavor/scent. Probably a nice pick for a first time smoker or someone that likes aromatics. Even though you can read reviews everyone is different so I would say take a chance on this blend and try it.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

I bought this in bulk, so my tin-note is really a 'mason-jar' note. The note is that of a sweet tobacco. The leaf is a mixture of dark cavendish with some blonder flakes mixed in. Smells and looks great.

This blend packs easily, chars fairly easy and stays lit the rest of the way down for me at least it does every bowl. Has a nice note in the air, smokes sweet which for this blend is a good thing.

I don't get much in the way of tongue bite with this, and I puff it carelessly, just enjoying the smoke. It really is an all-day smoker as is ear-marked.

MountainYeti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MountainYeti (4)

RLP-6 is my benchmark aromatic blend. When smoking any other aro I always seem to compare it to this.

In the pouch

The smell in the pouch is subtle and sweet. The tobacco itself is a little heavy on the casing (sticks to my fingers when I rub it). The colors are very nice (dark brown and blacks with a hint of blonde here and there)

The pack and toast

The cut makes packing the bowl a breeze. Although the casing seems heavy it aids in making a nice flat top to the pipe load for charring. The toast gave me a hint of Chocolate (from the Burley perhaps) and a clean Virgina flavor. With the heavy case I expected a sweeter note (not a bad thing)

The Rest

The first half of the bowl was outstanding. A mild Smoke with hints of chocolate and a slight sweetness from the Cavendish. This smokes very hot! The Stanwell I was using became literally to hot to handle at one point. The second half of the bowl was good but not nearly as good as the first. I began to get gurgle at about the halfway point and the smoke began to turn a bluish hue. I set it down for a few minutes to let it cool and the flavor and smoke quality returned, not completely but enough to make it enjoyable again. At the end it was a little gross cleaning out the pipe. The last unsmoked bits we covered in goop. I have now mastered the slow smoke needed to really get the most out of this blend and really like it.

A good one for aromatic smokers but smoke slow.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice flakes of brown and dark brown. Taste is dark and not smooth. Almost like cigar tobacco. Two Stars being generous.

For a Four star Tobacco try McClellands new RSVP.

Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is from a guy who only started smoking a pipe again a couple of months ago after a 32 year layoff, so take it for what it is worth.

I do not like RLP-6 at all. It tastes like a Milky Way bar, and for me that is all there is to it. No tobacco taste. No zing. Nothing. I would much prefer a Milky Way.

That said, there are good points for those who like the flavor. It burns well and produces a lot of smoke. No bite. Very mild. No gunky residue. The guy at the pipe show who sold me the sample (under the name "Java") said it is his second fastest seller.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Lane-RLP-6, Chartwell at Tinderbox. It's like Captain Black White Label with a rougher cut. Maybe it's not the same tobacco but it sure tastes like it. As I mentioned, it's rough cut and has dark and bright leaf. Packs easy, lights easy. I can sense that molases, chocolate, and Licorice were used to flavour this blend. Has a heavy aromatic scent that lingers and most will like. Mid-way down the bowl the molases comes out and is deep with the tobacco almost producing a taste and smell of lose leaf chewing tobacco. A good aromatic and tastey smoke.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

I get caramel on a base of buttered popcorn. Very subtle yet quite delicious. This is a mild smoke but there is a nice pick-up in strength in the last third of the bowl. The tartness of the small amount of Virginia adds positively to mouth feel. Not an overbearing aromatic - the taste of tobacco, although mild, shines through. Burns well and is easy to keep lit. The room note is inviting as opposed to overbearing: light and slightly sweet. I'd describe it as traditional pipe tobacco with nuances of cookies and cotton candy. Non-smokers should approve.

I have been told this is similar to Captain Black (White Label) but I do not detect the marshmallow, white chocolate and inflatable swimming pool toys.

Gass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gass (1)
Very Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Tobacco came soaked in humectant (PG?) and was left to dry overnight. Next morning tobacco was still sticky. As soon as the pouch was open, room was filled with artificial prune/vanilla overly sweet smell. The smell is so strong it ghosts everything the tobacco touches. Taste of this tobacco does not correlate with it's smell at all. Taste is ... well... I could not feel it, it's dull. Nicotine is very low. Two positive points: My wife likes this smell and the tobacco burns well when dry.

Grampa's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grampa's Pipe (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When it comes to cased aromatics, it's hard to beat RLP-6. Not to be confused with Captain Black White, RLP-6 is an entirely different cut of tobacco and contains far less humectant than Captain Black White. However, it's apparent that they share the same basic vanilla based flavorings. RLP-6 seems to have less casing as well. It burns clean, has no bite and is pleasant to those around you. One of Lane Limited's better offerings.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The blend is sold in bulk, and the aroma from the pouch is wonderful and unusual. It has a unique appearance: sort of a thick ribbon cut. It is mostly dark, but there are large pieces of very light golden colored leaf mixed in, and some light brown flecks as well.

Fresh from the shop it is over-moist and has some bite when puffed too strongly, but after drying out a little, smokes almost perfect, with no bite. Easy to keep lit, it burns to the end with few re-lights to a fine ash with a few pieces of carbon dottle.

Tastes like there is a light topping - but the tobacco flavor comes through. No cherries or fruity stuff. A unique, delightful smoke. It is an aromatic, no doubt, but it makes a fine change of pace for dedicated "English" puffers, especially if in mixed company. The room note is very pleasant.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

nice mild aromatic--a basic blend--moisture was right straightaway- -packed easily--easily lit--did a char light, but wouldn't have needed it--started out flavorful and got progressively better--good sweet smoke to the bottom of the bowl--just a few strands of tobacco not consumed--a gentle tap emptied the bowl--no WET GOO at all--extremely dry for an aromatic--

i wouldn't want this for an all day smoke, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone--if you enjoy an occasional aromatic give RLP-6 a try--i will buy this one again--

wdsmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wdsmith (11)

Every now and then I enjoy a mildly aromatic blend. This one seems to have the most taste of any which I have tried. As I was smoking this a few days ago, I pondered the thought of adding something to it. A local tobacconist adds a touch of latakia and calls it his Proprietor's Blend so I thought I'd give it a try. My conclusion: Cigar Leaf, just a pinch though. Very good smoke at about 1 1/2 to 4 ratio. It is good on it's own but to my English tastes, much better with the cigar leaf.

3 Stars without the addition, 4 stars with.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

You know, sometimes a guy just has to get back around to where he started. Years ago, when I first smoked a pipe, Captain Black White was one of my mainstays, and RLP-6 when I could find a tobacconist. They aren't quite the same tobacco, despite both being from Lane. RLP-6 is actually less bitey, and a little smoother, with a somewhat better tobacco flavor to it (albeit, a very mild tobacco flavor). Nicotine wise, neither RLP-6 is a lightweight, so if you want your vitamin N, look elsewhere.

Smokes pretty well; didn't wet up my pipe, didn't get hot as long as I puffed slowly, the way you're supposed to. If you're a new smoker looking for a basic, good and affordable blend, that others around you won't find objectionable, this is it. Personally, I like to mix it 2 to 1 with some McClelland Royal Cajun Ebony, or perique, to get some oomph out of it. Still, a very good basic blend for times when you just don't want to get too complicated.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was recently gifted a 1 oz sample of this and, quite frankly, hadn't smoked any in many years. I knew it was the B&M version of Captain Black White, which I didn't care for. However, I agreed to give this a whirl, and I'm glad I did.

This is a nice cross between a typical American-style aromatic and a simple burley... and that may be why the tobacco works so well. I have one aromatic in my rotation these days so I'm not averse to them but they play a small part in my overall consumption. Still, this one is very worthy. A nice vanilla flavor that doesn't overwhelm and I think I taste some chocolate in there as well. Non-aromatic smokers shouldn't be put off by this description. I had almost no goop in my pipe heel after smoking this. Very, very little - not enough to matter. There is no PG in this and it will dry out if you let it (I actually dried it for about 10 minutes prior to loading). And it tasted very good. The sauce did not overwhelm the tobacco taste.

If you want a nice room note to go with a mild, pleasant cavendish tobacco flavor but don't want to swim in goo and go through 5 pipe cleaners per bowl, give this a spin.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It was raining and cold the night I stumbled into the smoke shop. A cob and RPL-6, quick!! Shaky, I asked the owner for a light, Ah, heaven...

We shared a two floor walk up in New York City for 22 years. Only had a tin foil pipe. Smoked dust balls and fabric lint, with matress stuffing for spice. Used to climbed on his shoulders, lit the pipe with the heat from the only ceiling light. The flavor was rich, elegant, refined, and exquisitely balanced. But will add some hair in the next bowl. Hid the pipe in a body cavity when guards searched the cell. Twenty two years at Rikers Island. Doing time for tax evasion, for smuggling pipe tobacco. That is how I came to be smoking RPL-6 that rainy night after my release.

On that night RPL-6 was so good it seemed to come directly from the right hand of God. Now, other blends occupy my time, though it is still one of my favorites.

This tale could be in our future if the tax bill passes. Fight the tax bill!! You really want to pay $45 a pound for this stuff?

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (15)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My daughter got me an ounce each of some tobacco to try for Christmas. This was one of them. The shop it came from called it Virginia Burly. I found the shop it came from and bought some more. I noticed that RLP6 was written with a Sharpie on the label. I was not surprised. Nice all day tobacco if you like. I was pleasantly surprised at how more of the natural tobacco flavor came through. It is obviously flavored but not too much. It is a somewhat mild tobacco but has a very satisfying semi sweet and slightly nutty flavor. A good tobacco to smoke while tying flies, gun smithing, playing cards or just reading a good book. Get some.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (130)

This is yet another stop on my recent OTC tour. Like so many others have stated previously, this is Capt Black White, but without all the additives. IMHO this is the best blend that Lane produces. There seems to be none of the gurgle as with all the other CB blends. There is absolutely no goop at the end of the pipe, just a nice white ash with minimal dottle. It produces a nice amount of smoke, does not need much tending to once lit, tastes better than CBW, the price is about the same range and it will get a lot of compliments. If you are just getting started, this would be the better choice. It will not clog up your pipes with all the goop that is the end result of most of the CB line.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like it! I like it early, mid-day, and late evening after dinner. I have not been able to make it bite...stays lit well, very pleasant room note. SOooo much better than Captain Black--which I bought and then gave away. Treat yourself to a quality, reasonably priced aromatic.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

This is a chocolatey Cavendish / cased tobacco. I enjoy it, and the room note is awesome. But it?s low on taste to the smoker and has major dottle problems.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

This is a top notch blend for those who are just starting pipe smoking. Always a nice and mild change of pace for the grizzled veteran. Mild chocolate/vanilla flavor and a real room pleaser. No bite at all, but it does leave a little moisture and dottle at the bottom of the bowl. Very inexpensive and if you shop around and buy a pound its down right cheap. Solid 3 stars, and really on its own merits for what it is, it could be 4 stars.

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)

As a drug store blend, 2 stars - it is better than most of the off the shelf brands. However, as a tobacco in general, I give this 1 star only. It leaves a sticky goo at the bottom of the bowl, is almost impossible to smoke all the way down even with light drying out, and only the top 1/3 bowl is of a decent flavor - after that it is a wet, acrid mess. It is very, very inexpensive however, so I guess it has that going for it.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is way better than the Drugstore stuff! The cut is different and there is Virginia in the blend. The ratio seems almost to be equal with the black cav. being slightly the domineering tobacco. This smokes best in a filter pipe. Believe it or not this smokes best in my Dr. Grabow Omega! This reminds me of the tinned Captain Black white when it was packed in a real tin with the little pry-up lever. Im going back almost 30 years here, a lot has changed since then. My next tobacco purchase will be RLP-6 or good old BCA-101. Im probably going to go for the BCA because it is cooler and the wife likes it better. { Doesn't complain } Plus, im a sucker for sweet cool vanilla tobaccos that are solid black! They hold a certain mystique over their brown bearing cousins. When people see you fill your pipe with BCA they all say the same thing. What is that you smoke! Then they want a whiff and from there, half become pipe smokers. I knew when I was 5 years old I wanted to smoke a pipe, ever since I smelled my Great Grand dad smoking his pipe.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

This is what I started out smoking. I really enjoy the vanilla taste and room note. My only arguements against this tobacco is that it does not dry out enough for my tastes. It is a very wet smoke and I can usually only smoke it 3/4 of the way down before the moisture turns it harsh. I have tried to find a tinned tobacco that has the same attributes to this and is a lot dryer. So far the closest that I've found is CAO/Dan Tobacco's Treasures of Ireland - Galway.

I would recommend this if you are new to pipe smoking or that you are on a budget.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

BCA with other stuff. I find it only marginally less offensive than BCA. Not for grown-ups. It is like television compared to a book.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good aromatic but has too much casing on it for my current tastes. But this is a very good smoke for the novice piper looking for a vanilla tobacco.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the great aromatic tobaccos made today. It does not have the annoying candle wax taste that so many have. The taste is sweet and slightly nutty to me, somewhat like an almond cookie. The only complaint is that it is a bit rough around the edges, laking some refinement. This tobacco is a good mixer to town down a black Cavendish blend like BCA.

muddler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muddler (6)

I write this with a Savinelli stoked full of RLP-6 stuck in my gob. Love the stuff. Wouldn't smoke it all day - there are too many interesting tobaccos out there for that - but I could. There is a little bite way down in the bowl, but hardly an issue. This is a great main-stay tobacco - great price, pleasant taste - one to return to.

13 Jan 2007 - I'm changing my tune on RLP-6 - I've gone off it somewhat. Even with some ageing, I can't get rid of an obnoxious edge to it. And it's goopy. Guess my tastes are changing.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

When fresh, there's not a more visually appealing blend. It's about a half and half mix of dark black cavendish and some of the brightest yellow Virginia bright I've seen. Over time, the Virginias darken to a brown color and it looks like your typical Black and Tan drugstore blend. Pouch aroma is almost all vanilla and smells good. The flavor is only so-so for me and not as flavorful as the pouch aroma makes you think it will be. I've strayed from the blend for a couple of years now, but used it to break in a USA Alpha one time and that pipe has been a great smoker. The vanilla flavoring does not stick in the bowl like a lot of other blends either. One step up from Captain Black and possibly a step up from 1Q too. Nowhere near as good as Mac Baren's Vanilla offerings though...