Mature Flue-cured virginias and aromatic Burley spiced with Louisiana Perique for a rich tobacco experience. The blend has a smooth, complex tobacco taste with an aroma associated with traditional Baii/ Dutch tobaccos.

baii/Dutch tobaccos

3.7
CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Mild and tasty, with excellent quality tobacco. At mid-bowl, particularly when sipped, the Virginia and Perique hit the palate first, followed by a pleasant woodiness, presumed from the burley. Nice complexity. Retrohale delivers a nice spicy note. Strength builds toward medium, as you enter the final stretch. 3+.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand, Kriswill

Age When Smoked: Tin date code = 11-JUL-2011

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

Similar Blends: Tastes like 2/3 strength SG Best Brown Flake, with an added tangy note.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Great blend, surprisingly good too considering what I paid for the tin (next to nothing).

The main player here is the Virginia, with the perique a close second. Yes, the burley is noticeable, but it isn't at the front. Nice, grassy, mildly sweet VA and a very noticeable perique. I thing the amount of perique in this blend is perfect; enough to make my nose tingle and to give the blend backbone but not too much to make me queasy.

Great tin smell too; pungent sweetness that reminds me of ripe fruit.

I tend to like my Virginias with a touch (and I mean just a touch) of flavoring, but this is good.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A tasty Va/bur/per with a touch of Danish aromatic treatment. I like this blend, but perhaps the thing I find most attractive is the price. Well, this is probably water under the bridge at this point as I just recently heard that the villiger line is being completely cut, so you should probably stock up while you can. I bought 8 tins of it on the strength of the reviews here and am happy I did at this point.

I just recently finished the first tin. The tin presentation is nice, several strips the size of say, Irish or University flake. The weird thing, at least with this first tin, is they were all stuck together. This could be a problem for fold and stuff guys. Not a biggie for me as I rub out all my flakes.

I found the taste to be heaviest in the Virginia element. I found the burley to be complimentary and the perique to be a little light. There is a slight topping to it, but it is not overwhelming at all. It just adds a little something to the blend to differentiate it from similarly composed blends. Overall, I like this blend and do recommend it, but if it was at a higher price point I don't think I would be as enthusiastic.

If I had to compare this to a blend, I guess the first to come to mind would be Marlin Flake. The topping does differentiate, but it is a little similar in taste to me.

Purchased From: P & C

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (8)

Nice! A great vaper blend that burns nice and cool but cranks out thick and creamy smoke. The tin note is to die for and takes me back to a time (a month ago) where I was first smoking this. I liked it then but like it even more after stuffing it in a jar and letting it sit for a while.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What a great surprise as were 2 others in this line (Early Day and Mid-Day). Forget the inherent instructions in the name -- before breakfast, after lunch, before bed, it's all good. Beautifully crafted flake with a perfect balance of sweetness and firepower. Love it (especially in a round tin -- still getting used to so good a flake not coming from a cute little rectangular or square box!).

Update: For what it's worth have finished another tin and would like to confirm that this is a great flake for its flavor profile. You must buy it if you like a BurVaPer (or any smoke for that matter) that evokes a slice of your favorite toast with a little farm-fresh butter. It is satisfying, just a bit complex, round, comfortable and, yes, edible. And while not available in bulk, priced well below its counterparts.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice unbroken flakes, compare to Wessex Brigade Campaign Flake. Smooth, no bite, smokes dry.

Canicus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Canicus (7)

A most enjoyable Va/Per blend - one in which the burley, at least to me, was in the background and played a supporting role. No bite, a nice aroma from the tin and a fine mix of just enough sweetness with tobacco taste. Smoked a bowl after dinner and it was a perfectly enjoyable experience. VaPer my second place preference to English/balkan style blends; this tobacco is a great example of a dutch-style and a most enjoyable gateway to VaPer blends....highly recommended.

By the way, flake packed easily and burned/smoked perfectly - was just funny opening a round tin and finding flake....

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (30)

I really enjoyed this tobacco. Virginia and perique gave a mild sweet taste. Just getting into pipe smoking, I was going to give up on it until I had this (this was my introduction to Virginias). I usually rate would I keep on hand, buy here and there, smoke it offered, or never smoke again. I will always have a tin of this on hand. Wife like the smell to.

FederalFrenchie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FederalFrenchie (1)

A very cool and slow burning flake with zero tongue-bite. I honestly don't have much experience with flakes at all, but I would defiantly recommend this one. I just had a bowl in a very modestly sized meerschaum, and it gave me a flavorful, satisfying smoke, lasting for more than an hour. I rubbed it almost completely out, but will try different rubbing methods in the future. (just for the sake of experience, it smoked wonderfully fully rubbed-out)

Nicely prepared, mixed yellow to dark brown flakes ~ 1.75x2.5x1/16" with an ideal moisture content and grassy tin aroma. I didn't rub out thid blend just as I typically do with such pliable flakes like this and packing was quite easy and uniform. Smoked cool and without condensation or bite in various bowl sizes. Didn't get much of the Perique influence even towards the end of the bowl but the naturally sweet taste was enjoyable. I enjoyed this more than PS Luxury Twist Flake that I purchase in bulk but found it similar and don't know that the added expense is worth it. If you enjoy Va/Per flakes give this a try.