An elegant black cavendish with a whisper of English Walnut. It's cool as the coolest jazz, soft as velvet nights, rich and creamy. Smoke it and you'll be on Easy Street.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
2.3
wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The tin aroma's combination of typical black cavendish scent along with the walnut topping create a very rich scent similar to Kahluha.

The black cavendish is of excellent quality. It has a soft, clean, and pointed flavor without astringency or a phenolic finish. The walnut flavor has a very authentic character and doesn't turn bitter down the bowl.

This is a first-rate american black cavendish with a smart choice of topping which is both subtle and complimentary. Though not particularly exciting or challenging, Easy Street is soft, smooth, and sophisticated simplicity. This only further proves McClelland's insistence to go the extra yard no matter what blend they are producing. This will ghost a briar and went well in a chamber of any gauge.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

In the tin there is a slight note of algae from this moist, black cavendish treat. It's amazing how McClelland prepares black cavendish so differently from Cornell & Diehl. One charring light & a relight will keep this aromatic delight going for about an hour in a medium-sized bowl. I don't know if I would say there is only a 'whisper' of walnut. I detect something more: vanilla? butterscotch? This isn't as forward as the sweet, nougat rich 'Best of Show', but it's very good for those seeking a less sugary aromatic. Except for 'Mellow Mack', McClelland offers some of the finest aromatics that will delight your palate, keep your pipe dry & leave a heavenly aroma in any room. Let the anti-smokers moan! They'd change their tune after a winsome whiff of walnut. Yum!

Four of five stars ----------------- aug 2006 update

This has been sitting in a tin for awhile, and for good reason. It's too sticky and gloppy. I'm not putting up with tongue bite or goopy s### any longer. After trying the magnificent Two Friends Celtic Mist, Easy Street and its ilk are an anachronism. The tin aroma is now entirely like algae and the walnut seems to have flown the shell. Anyone want a 1/2 tin of ES?

Two of five stars

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I sure was fooled by this blend. Smells good in the can, but that's about it. Starts out not to bad, but half way down the bowl, the flavor leaves out, and turns salty. Not for me.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (46)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

After having Best of Show and Town Topic I decided to venture further into this line and pick up a tin of Easy Street. It's a nice very dark Black Cavendish with a wonderful topping of English walnut flavoring. In the tin I did note the dreaded vinegar scent McClelland is known for, but that didn't carry into the smoke thankfully. As most McClelland blends, it came a bit moist, but after a bit of drying time it packed very well and took a char light and real light wonderfully. It burned nice and evenly into a fine white ash. The blend didn't burn too hot and the flavor transfer was quite nice. It got two thumbs of from the War Council. If you're looking for a good once in a while aromatic, pick a tin of this blend up.

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Here we have a high quality black cavendish. And by "black" I mean jet black, the most profound type of dark tobacco. And by "cavedish" it is meant a tobacco infused with some sweet agent, caked and fermented to bring out the natural sweetness. So really, no surprises here: we know McClelland is a top blender. So if you want to try a very sweet pipe tobacco of very god quality, this is a good palce to come. Of course, the aroma of this smoke is superb.

Easy Street, as has been mentioned, is not exactly a blend, rather a simple recipe. It gives a constant smoke, with no noticable evolution while its smoked. As all sweet blends it tends to smoke hotter and somehow wet, but a proper pipe can help with this. Eventhough I found my tin more moist than I usually smoke, the tobacco kept lit with no problem. I also found on this tobacco a note similar to C&D Crosseyed Criket. It is a slightly tangy flavor, but on these tobacco it lands way better.

I am amazed by the low rating on this particular blend. It looks like people were looking for something completely different. What we have here is a really good sweet tobacco. That walnut note is present, but I don´t think is an artificial flavor; instead, it is the natural expression of the tobacco sweetness.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was far too weak for my likings. The taste is ok, a bit chemicalish, not a bad flavour, but not real good either. I found if this is mixed with mclelland blue mountain it is significantly better, but overall it's a dud. I won't be buying more of this, but if you hate nicotine, and like sweet black cav this could be worth a shot.

Txspurgeon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Txspurgeon (8)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

For a seasoned pipester, this stuff leaves alot to be desired. It s too sweet for my taste and gives you very little vitamin N. That being said, for the occasional pipe smoker who isn't accustomed to alot of nicotine, and wants to smoke something that smells good, and wont get them kicked our of the house, then you could do alot worse. Once lit, it stays lit pretty well. Mine has been sitting in an unsealed tin for over a year. Still a bit moister than I like. After abour mid bowl, the "walnut ice cream" flavor sneakes in and out. The smoke is as smooth as silk, so it shouldnt "choke" the occasional pipester. I wouldnt buy again, but if you like black cavendish...it's worth a try.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

I try to keep an open mind when it comes to aromatics, in fact I like several aromatics but I am primarily a Balkan smoker. I love McClelland's English and Virginia blends so I thought I would give their aro's a try. In short, this tastes like what I would imagine the mens urinal fresheners taste like. If you're into that thing, by all means get this blend, otherwise stay clear!!!! For me this blend is a candy coated piece of poop. There are much better aromatics out there, try Blue Note.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Mild Medium Overwhelming Overwhelming

I tried to like this, sorry fellow pow wows, but this cavendish with a note of walnut was a sour note. I opened the tin, not bad. I filled a nice clean pipe, with premature intentions of liking this blend, " it is a McClelland,and as a fan, thought only happy thoughts,...Uggg, I tried several times , and 2 types of pipes, No this was some strange tobacco, not sure if i was overwhelmed with chemicals or cow plop, no stars here.

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This is a very finely crafted aromatic. Sweet but not too gooey, crowd pleasing but not overpowering. It's a fairly typical black cavendish but one that is not as moist as most of them. And the english walnut topping is masterfully done and somewhat sparingly added so as not to overflavor the whole concoction.

Easy Street is my 3rd foray into McClellands aromatics, the other two being Tastemaster and Best of Show. I find ES to be superior to Best of Show and every bit as well done as T. I think the aroma in BOS is a little overdone. Again, I think McClellands puts their best foot forward in tinned versions of their tobaccos - and most certainly their aromatics.

If you enjoy aromatics, this is one that you should try. If you particularly enjoy black cavendish, Easy Street should be on your short list.

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (13)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I picked this up as a sample at my local tobacco shop and liked it enough to buy a tin. As my fellow reviewer noted, it's fairly one dimensional and steady throughout (no 1st, 2nd, 3rd bowl) as most aromatics / cavendish are. It burns dry and cool, has good room note. Actually, what struck me was that it fit the description on the can, i.e., velvety and creamy. I've tried the other Premium Aromatics (Pal O Min, best in show) and like this the best of the bunch. As a usual VA smoker, this is a nice change a pace and crowd pleaser without being goopy or overly sweet.

Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

What a wonderful concept -Walnut flavoring! I really enjoyed this.A very dry black cavendish with a wonderful Walnut essence to it. It burns very cool. There is no goop to this one at all.Actually, the flavoring is present throughout the bowl down to the dottle.It is very one dimensional, but in truth, all aromatics are 1 dimensional. If you are a lover of a natural walnut taste,I think you will really enjoy this.In quality and general characteristics it is very similar to Cornell&Diehl's bulk blend "ESPRESSO".In flavor it is like a less sweet HAAGEN DAZ's "WALNUT" ice cream. A very dry,pleasant, and flavorful aromatic diversion. 3.5 of 4 aromatic stars.