BrandDunhill
Taste

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (15)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

It seems there are a number of reviewers on here that believe that this is the exact same tobacco as Escudo. Yes, the evidence would tend to suggest that they are the same. Same producer, same size coin, ect. I would contend that they are not the same, but similar. In my opinion, DNR has a slight edge over Escudo. I have opened a tin of each and smelled them side by side. The tin aroma is definitely different. DNR has a slightly more ketchup smell to it in the tin. But once you light them up, DNR is a more full and flavorful smoke. I love both, so please don't take this as a negative comment on Escudo. They are both great VaPers. DNR is just a hair better for me. And I don't base that on price, because I strongly disagree that a more expensive tobacco is automatically great. I have had some very inexpensive tobaccos that hit it out of the park for me. These reviews are so enjoyable to read, because people are so subjective and everyone has a different taste. I have bought tobacco based on reviews and hated it. I have bought tobacco on a whim with no review and loved it. All I can say on this one is that DNR is very similar to Escudo, but I think DNR is slightly superior. (For me!) If you aren't that picky, then get the cheapest one and you cant go wrong, because they are both excellent, high quality smokes in my book!

Age When Smoked: <1 yr

Similar Blends: Escudo.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

In the run of my current binge on tobaccos previously unknown to me, I got a tin of this on the recommendation of my trusted tobacconist.

I was told this one was strong, but accommodating, and that was not a lie. Opening the tin, I got drawn in by a wonderful, highly fruity aroma that shows no hint of flavouring, casing or saucing - just plain top-notch VA making its presence felt, with a noticeable Perique presence. The aroma is of good white wine and fresh grapes, with a hint of chocolate lurking in the background. The leaf comes in large discs, obviously hand-packaged, beautifully arranged to make a display around the tin.

Stuffing can be done either way, just folding two discs or so into the pipe or rubbing and packing. It has been noted before that the differences between stuffing styles are noticeable, and they really are. I'm for the rubbed style, myself.

Once lit, the tobacco burns coolly despite the rather thin cut, giving a highly satisfying smoke from the first glow to the final embers. The taste is sweet with a dry note of Perique and a lot of freshness that lingers on the palate for a long time, quite pleasurably. The room note is nice and sweet, without the heaviness some VA/perique blends display, and seems to totally disappear after only a short while (which is a shame).

This blend is quite strong; beginners beware. It's also quite expensive; the price is about twice as high as most other blends I normally smoke, but it's worth it.

For those concerned that this blend has gone out of production, to my best knowledge it has not: at least it is still readily available throughout Denmark and Germany, and you can also still order it through the Dan Pipe online store.

For those who can stand a strong, schottish-style blend, this is a must-try. Personally, I have never had a chance to try the much-famed Escudo (either old or new), but I cannot find a single negative about this tobacco except the price, and find that it's worth every penny.

With Escudo being one of my favorite all time blends, I had to compare an aged tin of each, especially since the cost of DNR is about 20% more here in the US. I compared a tin of earlier Orlik production of DNR bought in Europe several years ago. I used a tin of Escudo of similar age. If I were look at both blends in the tin, I don’t think there would be any way to tell them apart. However there is a noticeable difference in the scent of each tobacco. I smoked my older tin of DNR is the same fashion I currently smoke Escudo by thickly unrolling the coins and breaking them into pieces. DNR is sweet, and the Perique comes clearly though the smoke. In addition to the sweetness, there is an earthiness to DNR that I don’t find in Escudo. I find DNR to be richer in taste, but that doesn’t mean better. It is also stronger in the nic department too. I am going to disagree with some of the other posts as I find aged Escudo to be a little sweeter than aged DNR. Since DNR was produced in England at one point by Murray’s prior to being moved to Denmark to be produced by Orlik, Orlik would likely have had to change the component tobacco percentages in order to produce the same blend sold under two different names. I think that is unlikely. In the end, Deluxe Navy Rolls is IMHO a fantastic VaPer.

Age When Smoked: 5 or 6 years

Breizh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Breizh (7)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very old traditional tobacco, that packs a tasty punch with a great nicotine hit to boot. Definitely great for that night watch on board the yacht. Spicy & tasty great outdoors, it stays lit easier too outdoors. Indoors you will need to re-light every so often, as you also need to take it easy, or else it will bite you. I prefer to smoke this outdoors, not really for in the house.

A real favourite of mine, and will always keep agin of this in my collection.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kapet 606

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin.

Purchased From: James Fox Dublin.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (32)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dunhill has long occupied a "Luxury" niche in the world of tobacco, asking and getting high prices that are widely believed to reflect high quality and attention to detail that - one supposes - characterize products offered to well-heeled patrons of the exclusive, clubby establishments that sell Dunhill's offerings. In this respect, DNR well reflects Dunhill's image. Tobacco, preparation, presentation, handling and smoking qualities are all first class. Tin note is dark, figgy raisin bread. When I fold, spindle and stuff a couple of "coins", it takes some persistence to light it. Once lit, it takes regular but minimal attention to keep it going. Absent some stirring, I often wind up with sort of a semi-obstructive "briquette" at the bottom of the bowl. But I owe this latter to my "technique" rather than any fault of DNR and, no doubt, others will have no idea what I'm going on about.

The initial taste of DNR has a nice balance between the "mellow", aged VA and the very interesting Perique used for this blend.. But the glory of DNR is realized as it is smoked down, and the flavor and the aroma become richer, evolving into a "bigger", more complex and interesting smoke. This is not only a matter of sugar, though this is a factor, but the "VA tobacco" and the "Perique quotient" both ramp up, and there are often notes of "Asian" spices, as well, and all within a still-balanced tobacco profile.

Though DNR is not really a "big" blend, it reminds me of certain big Bordeaux that are tightly knit yet not unyielding of their complexities, and I find much to like and nothing not to like about DNR. The aftertaste is 3-phase, with phase 1 being a cool-down lap of the end of the smoke; phase 2 being the "spent campfire"; and phase 3 being VA sugar and memory of Asian spice.

Like any really good tobacco, DNR might not smoke exactly the same twice; but it is always an interesting, enjoyable, satisfying smoke. Setting aside the cost, highly recommended to VA/Per aficionados.

I spent a few days comparing the new version of this to the Murray's, in addition to comparing both with old and new Escudo, and the following is my opinion on the differences. The Murray's version is better than the current version. It was richer and fuller in taste with a natural dark Virginia sweetness and earthy notes that wonderfully complimented the plum and peppery perique. It was a darn near perfect blend.

The new version is still very good, but less sweeter than before (though still more so than Escudo), a little less richer in taste, and maybe slightly less peppery than the Murray's version. And there are hay/grass notes in the current rendition that were barely present before, though I still get some of the fig accents. It looks and tastes more like Escudo than the Murray's did, too. Many say - and some have gone to great lengths to prove - that the new Navy Rolls and Escudo are one and same, as both are apparently produced in the same factory. They are more similar than they had been in past times, and the basic tobaccos used may well be similar or the same, but there is a taste difference. Navy Rolls is a little sweeter, still a little earthier, still slightly stronger, even with the now lightly noticeable hay/grass flavor that is more prominent in the drier tasting Escudo. Maybe there is something in the Virginias used in Navy Rolls that provides the difference, or perhaps it's a light casing of some kind that isn't obvious to the touch or tongue, but it's not exactly like the current Escudo in my estimation.

It's still a four star mixture, though not as good as before. It may cost a little more than Escudo, but I think it's worth the difference. Some may disagree with me, and perhaps they'll notice or ignore some of the flavors I get from the new Navy Rolls. It's all a judgement call. The important thing for the current smoker to know is whether or not he/she likes it, and is willing to buy it. For myself, I know the answer is "yes."

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (28)

Opening a tin of this is always a pleasure. The presentation is second to none. The discs are beautiful and handling a treat. It burns well and evenly. A bit of tar serves as an axle on which other flavors revolve. This is a VaPer that should not be missed. I do wish that more curlies were produced, and mourn the passing of Dobie's 4 Square version, which is still the benchmark for this smoker. Recommended.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

WOW!!!!!This stuff is great. I have been taking a liking and a foray into Va/perique blends. This is one of the best I have tried. Tasty and spicy and smooth. Unfortunately it is not sold in the USA and so I am only smoking this on an irregular basis, but will definitely order more. If you are a fan of Va/perique blends give this one a try. I ordered this from Synjeco(switzezrland) they have a web site and are easy to deal with. I ordered a tin of Three Nuns original at the same time and I have to say after trying a few bowls worth I much prefer the Navy rolls. Some have said this is closse to the original Escudo. I have tried Escudo but only the recent version. This is much better smoother and tastier. 4.5 stars

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this tobacco on the reccomendation of my tobacconist who suggested it as an alternative to Escudo and depsite it being a bit more expensive than other tobaccos I'm glad he introduced me to it!

This tobacco is obviously trying to emulate Escudo in all but name, not only does it succeed in doing this, it goes one better. Escudo used to be my favourite virginia/perique blend, having tried Dunhill's version I don't think Escudeo will be making much of an appearnce in my cellar.

This tobacco comes in coin form and depending on how you use it, it can take on two completely different personalities.

You can roll the coins and fill the bowl with them standing vertically (2-3 rolls per bowl), this fill method gives you a wonderfull cool smoke that burns slowly. The virginia predominates, with the Periquqe coming through as a soft undertone. Although it takes a bit of effort to get going, once lit it stays lit with very little effort. Filling the bowl this way makes it great for outdoor smoking.

The other method is to rub out the coins, they rub out very easily in to a fairly course cut. Smoking the tobacco this way is completely different from the previous method. This time the Perique is much more noticeable, yet it is still well banaced with the virginia. Smoooth, very smooth is how I would describe it, perfect for restfull comtemplation.

The strength of this tobacco is quite mild and it burns slowly, leaving a fairly coarse grey ash. It is also one of the easiest tobbacos to keep lit of all the tobaccos I've ever tried. It manages to produce no tongue bite even if smoked hard, which is a quality I feel is lacking in many Perique blends.

All in all a top knotch tobacco, which I love.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This was a very disappointing tin of tobacco. From the outset, let me say that I give this one star because of the price. I paid 18!!! dollars for my tin at the local tobacco shop. Perhaps I got hosed. I found an online price of 15$, which is better, but still not great. There are many far better virginia/perique blends out there for under ten bucks a tin. Escudo, for example, which most seem to agree is no crappy blend. Another I would recommend is the new Villiger 1888 Late Night blend, which is just a fantastic mixture of this genre bursting with flavor.

If the price were in line with these blends, I might give this 2 or 2.5 s stars. Why not a higher rating? Because I just cannot get this blend to give me anything but a super mild flavor which just does not justify the premium price. Other than a little perique spiciness (and I do mean a little) there is just nothing here. The virginias are very muted, and the perique is only an afterthought. I expect a lot more flavor from such a super premium. Also, no nicotine. It is like putting 18 very smooth dollars into your pipe and smoking it.

On the positive side, it is well behaved for a VA flake if allowed to dry out some before rubbing out and smoking. It burns well, and smokes cool with measured puffing. For about the same money though I can buy double the amount of any number of McClelland VA's, including Christmas Cheer, which at least offer some VA flavor. For less money I can buy the aforementioned blends, either of which offer the same burning characteristics with much more tobacco flavor.

Interestingly, one of my favorite blends of this ilk, Davidoff's Flake Medallions, is also made presently by Orlick. It is cheaper than the Dunhill (though not cheap, at 14 bucks a tin) but worth it I would say. Flake Medallions has everything good that this Dunhill blend has, with tons more flavor and complexity. Try it, and then tell me if you think I am crazy for bagging on this overpriced creampuff.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (19)

This is a supermodel of a tobacco. Gaunt, serious, faultless. The presentation in the tin is beautiful. Dominated by virginias from the tin note on, the smoking experience is light and clean. The perique doesn't assert itself until well into the bowl but is excellently married throughout.

I give this full marks because the style is what it is and DNR seems to exemplify the VaPer experience.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

When you open this you will firstly notice a sublime aroma from the wonderful rolls . They are perfect to fill your bowl with as well . It is very easy to light and does not require many re-lights . The smoke is beautiful and decadent in taste with a certain spiciness to it . As well as this it gives a great cool burn with a pleasing room note . Another thing to note is it gets even more enjoyable as the bowl goes on ! It really justifies the hype I have read about it !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lots of virtual ink has been spilled in determining if this is the same as Escudo, with strong believers on both sides. Since I haven't smoked Escudo in some time and none since Stokkebye took it over, I can't say. I guess I'd believe either side if the truth came out. This one does look a lot like Escudo in the tin, smells a lot like my memory of it, and does remind me of it when smoked. Beyond that, only the blender knows for sure. This tin was gifted to me and I smoked about half of it, and will save the other half for later.

This one lands firmly on the fruity side of perique rather than the peppery, salty side. The Virginias are pretty tasty and sweet and the perique adds a plummy or perhaps figgy note. It all melds together in a nicely sweet and very mildly spicy flavor. Having never smoked this before, I can't comment on how closely the new blender replicated it, and it was very good, but not anything to get me too pumped. Certainly not like the first time I smoked Cope's Escudo, and nothing like my current vaper rotation. In fact, I actually preferred the Comoy #4 I smoked recently. But this is a very worthy blend that has a lot of fans for good reason. I just find it a little too sweet for my rotation. Try it if you prefer the sweet side of vapers.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Age When Smoked: less than 1 year

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (100)

Smoked in succession with Escudo in a separate pipe and guess what? Same review as Escudo for I think it is the same mixture in a different tin. What do you expect, same company, same factory, same machines but a more expensive offering, Dunhill name oblige. Unless it really makes a difference in the taste department for you, for me it didn't, save your money and get Escudo.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This review is of a Orlik-produced tin and I have not had the pleasure of a Murray's tin for comparison.

In my view the Dunhill blends made by Orlik are generally fine and well- rounded. DNR is no exception. As I work my way through the world of Virginia Perique blends, I am starting to detect the fine differences. DNR are cool coins and the tin note is fruity. The coins dry out nicely and bur well, whether rubbed out or folded. The Perique note is fairly subtle and the overall taste is of fine Virginia with Louisiana spice. Fine fine VaPer experience to be savored. Recommended.

bman64 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bman64 (44)

This is the third tin of rolled navy cut flakes, with Davidoff's Medallions and Escudo being the other two, that I have enjoyed.

Dunhill's presentation in its Navy Rolls is spot on, well-arranged discs, crisp fruity fig scent, highest quality Toby. It is in its flavor profile smoky and sweet, in the same category as Escudo's Rolls.

In fact, I believe De Luxe Navy Rolls to be the SAME in every way as its less aggressively priced counter-part! That's why I'm stocking up on Escudo while the price difference remains in place [Pipes&Cigars recents raised Escudo's price-still below that of Dunhill's offering.

If your a fan of VaPers, treat yourself to either this blend or Escudo, and with either brand you'll be sampling quality-with a variance in pricing.

Mattrhorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mattrhorn (2)

I had a hard time with my first couple of bowls and then, like a trooper, I went back. Overall, not bad stuff. It is mild, inoffensive and it burns great.

It doesn't have a lot of depth and is on the pricey side for what it is. I think I wanted to hate it, but I couldn't hate it. I enjoyed the mild taste. Not much to note, a bit spicy but mostly on the sweeter side. Once lit, it puffed with grand billows. But, be careful, as this stuff could bite you if you get caught up in the smokey show. Could be dried a bit.

The ash was fine and powdery and it is good smoke to the bottom, but again watch for bite. I will finish this can and probably get another one, dry it for a day and then put it up to smoke for an unadventurous bowl to start a day.

Burner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burner (8)

Lovely figgy raisny aroma to the tobacco. Lovely presentation of a neat row of discs. Easy burning excellent virginia flavours with enough perique to perk it up with some spicyness. Not sure what the review below is on about this is a medium in strength and flavour.

PipeBot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeBot (7)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very disappointed in this tobacco. Very mild in flavour, to the point of being cigarette-ish, and no real nicotine kick to speak of, despite the perique.

For a light, mild VaPer Orlik's 'Golden Sliced' is far more appealing and much cheaper alternative.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (48)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I just love the smell from the tin, fig jam, pot pourri... Lighting is easy, the taste is wonderful, so much perique in this mixture, the taste is sweet but spicy and tangy. This is one of the best smokes I have ever had. Flavouring? Not so much I am guessing, just puuuuure VA/PER taste; heavenly. Nic hit is a wonder as well. I want to try the escudo navy rolls to see if I detect any difference. Definitely stronger and better than Orlik Bull's Eye. Love it!

CubanPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CubanPiper (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This just as good as Escudo, except that it cost more, you do the math. It is an excellent tobacco nonetheless.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Just heavenly sorry I didn't try it sooner one of my new favorite smokes.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (62)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

For me this is the best VaPer blend I have smoked. After the second tin, compared to other VaPer products, I can say it is far better than Davidoff's and Samuel G. blends.

To start with, the rolls are ready to be smoked, perfectly dry to the correct point, and a pleasure to "enroll" into the bowl. Second, the perique is in my preferred quantity: enough to be spicy during the smoke. I dont care about those " a dash of perique" blends. Third, taste is full from begin to the end of smoke. Really good stuff, I buy it regularly.

Kremlin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kremlin (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

DLNR is the right choice if you are looking for class A Va-Pe tobacco. It's perfectly moisted so that you can smoke it out of the tin.

Easy to pack and keep lit (what i miss in gawith offer...).

Not an overwhelming taste, but consistent alternating of sweetness and pepperness throughout the bowl ...

Strength:a bit more than just medium... I would define it:satisfying!

In conclusion, i recommend to give it a try.

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

The most notable characteristic of any Dunhill tobacco is the absence of drama. You just open a tin, put the content into a pipe and begin to enjoy. So, it's beautiful, fragrant, very high-quality tobacco. I prefer to smoke it folded. Lights easily, do not require relighting and virtually no tamping. By contrast with relaxing pure Virginia, it's more intended for a sailor on morning watch. He will not fall asleep while smoking this.

The reason why I do not give it four stars is that I am not sure I love VaPer so much. But if you do and money is not the issue, go for it.

Update 11/10/2012. Upgrading to 4 stars. Simply the best Va/Per.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (21)

A pleasant, medium-strength smoke. The Virginia gives the blend a nice buttery, lemon grassy sweetness while the perique lends its usual spicy aftertaste.

I've have the most success rubbing out a few coins and letting them dry overnight as my first smokes were pretty gurgly.

Nice enough stuff, worth a try.

IanTimothy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IanTimothy (8)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Ah Yes! a really nice every day smoke. I tried this in a small pipe I purchased in France and my goodness do they blend well together,I like strong tobaccos, Irish flake etc, so I was a little unsure about trying a medium taste tobacco, Straight from the tin , I rubbed out one roll, it lit first time, and after tamping down I sat back and enjoyed its subtle taste, as the smoke progressed it just got better, It is a really wonderful tobacco which I will always keep in my rotation, sweet, with an almost licorice after taste, its got to be a five star for me

Wagon25 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wagon25 (14)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I used to smoke Escudo, which I loved, and then I got Dunhill's version. It seems virtually identical, if not better. I have smoked this so many times I have it down to a science. I used to rub out the coins, but it's much better to fold them in, as some others have suggested. The flavor is much fuller, and it allows all the distinctiveness of this blend to come out. You'd also be well advised to let it sit in the bowl for a little while, as it is even better just a little dry.

The result is a light Virginia with very little tongue bite, and the perfect amount of Perique to give a peppery kick. It balances the sweetness of the VA perfectly. The room and tin note are outstanding. I smoke this in a narrow but fairly deep Stanwell, and I think the briar imparts just the right woodiness to the otherwise sophisticated taste. This is the most enjoyable and well-balanced blend I've ever had; if I could only smoke one blend, this would definitely be it.

UPDATE: (5/17/13) It has been suggested that Escudo and Dunhill are identical. This is certainly not my experience, and I've smoked dozens of tins of both. I recently ordered Escudo, and was so dissatisfied with it after one tin that I sent the rest back and paid the extra to have the Dunhill sent. I was not disappointed. The difference is profound. Richer virginia in the Dunhill (and more pronounced Perique, for that matter). The Escudo was nearly tasteless. Spend the extra money and get the Dunhill. For my taste, there is nothing else that comes close.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (98)

Had a job discerning what this smelled of when I first opened the packet, faint whiffs of something but couldn't quite place it, so I thought I would get stuck in quick sharp.

Considering this is almost flake like, packing and lighting are relatively easy. The flavour of the smoke is suprisingly mild and a little sweet, giving hints of lemons and golden syrup. The room note is equally mild and pleasant enough.

On the whole then, a nice pleasant smoke, nothing terribly exciting but won't let you down.

Bishop_Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bishop_Pipe (5)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This was the second VaPer i have tried, after Estorica's Dunbar which was brilliant. I have tried a couple of Dunhill's tobaccos now and they are hit and miss with me, but when i noticed De Luxe Navy Rolls being a VaPer i bit the bullet.

The tin aroma is sweet of fruity but isn't overpoweringly sweet. Not artificial, naturally a lovely smell. The medallions rub out very easily i find which make packing and lighting very easy.

The smoke is very smooth and doesn't burn hot at all i find. The sweetness from the virginia's really go well with the spiciness of the perique. I find a i get a slight fruity taste as well which is very pleasant. It burns well and the taste continued all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

Would definitely recommend this to any pipe smoker regardless of experience and tastes in tobacco. This will be in my cellar for the foreseeable!

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

Excellent tobacco with all the characteristics you expect in this type of flake: A prune and raisin aroma upon opening the tin, flavors of hay and citrus from the Virginias along with some spice from the Perique, cool burning, and hence a nice slow, dry smoke, especially if you like smoking outside. Flakes are the best type of pipe tobacco to smoke on a windy day: They stay lit and won't blow ash all over your face.

The only problem is the price. For what you pay for this tin you can purchase four ounces of Peter Stokkebye's Bullseye Flake, which is just as good and has all the same characteristics; it just doesn't have the Dunhill name.

Stagecoach Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stagecoach (2)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This is one of my all time favourite smokes,albeit a little pricey. Such beatifull spun coins and tin aroma of fresh hay and wood shavings. Try it any time of the day,I reccomend a large Billard,not a heavy smoke,but very easy to live with. I give this a 3* rating as Escudo is reserved for the big 4.

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)

I popped open my tin as soon as I got it. The rolls felt moist, but the bowl smoked very well. Has a mild strength and taste. Roasted nutty taste. Want to update/amend my review. After leaving a few rolls out for 3 hours I cut them into small 1/16th" bits. The taste is now a green grass taste

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this blend quite enjoyable once it gets going, but quite mild and lacking somewhat in flavour. I didn't get much of the perique flavour in this at all, but a very full rounded note from the virginia. All in all, a good smoke if you enjoy mild virginia blends but I found it somewhat lacking. Don't think I'll be bothering with this one again.

ErichPryde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErichPryde (9)

I was very impressed with this tin- I would select this tobacco as a regular smoke over dunhill flake nearly any day- while Dunhill Flake is a good reliable straight Va, this one either has better Va with more fruit notes (as opposed to citrus and grass), OR the Perique really does something charming in this blend.

The tobacco coins did not want to stuff and roll, so I ended up meeting halfway between that and truly rubbing it out. the pieces that fell apart ended up on the top of the bowl to help get it all started up.

It took a bit of time to light, but once I got it going and tamped properly (perhaps this one needs a bit more tamping than dunhill flake), it burned well. It did crackle a bit and I'd recommend allowing a coin or two to dry for a while before lighting.

The smoke was thick and luxurious, flavorful and sweet- the pepper element of the perique undeniably adding something special to the virginia tobacco.

All of that being said, I think there are better, must be better VaPer tobaccos out there. The only other one I have much experience with is Marlin Flake, and Navy Rolls is less enticing, less fruit forward, less creamy.

Navy Rolls is an easier smoke, though. Less tempermental, perhaps, than I have found Marlin Flake to be. For someone just getting into VaPers, this is a good blend to go with. Easy, satisfying, and smooth flavored.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A truly luxurious experience. Think dark, dried 'spicy' fruits such as raisins, dates, figs etc. I also prefer to rub this stuff out, and pack it fairly tight. Fairly low in vitamin N, and not as complex as Royal Yacht (my favourite), more one dimensional, but very easy to smoke. Great first pipe of the day for me. Easy to light and stays lit. I also like to sometimes add a few threads of St Bruno, to really give this a nicotine hit.

threepipeproblem101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
threepipeproblem101 (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like the mildness of this blend. I have used the fold and stuff method and have rubbed it out. Personally I like it better rolled out. I have also found that I like this best in a clay pipe because it allows the flavor to really come out. Its one downfall is the price. Is it worth it? I am going to say yes if you like a mild taste, no if you want something that is heavy on the perique.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)

I like this but I don't love it, especially compared to Peterson's Irish Oak or the old Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture. There's not that much flavor here and not enough body for me. However, it is sweeter and creamier than those two favorites of mine and some people like that quality of richness and creaminess. Doesn't deserve the high price imo. Still it is a very high quality blend that you should try at least once or twice. Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic. I think there are other blends like this at lower prices...

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

I'm very sorry but my first tin of this tobacco will be my last one as well. Deluxe Navy Rolls is supposed to be the follower of the famous ESCUDO. I never got to know the latter, but if it would have been equal to DNR, it hadn't deserved its fame. This tobacco is, in my subjective opinion, an example of tobacco expenses and brand policy. You only pay the bespoken name of Alfred Dunhill hereby. As you do with buying every Dunhill tobacco. BUT other blends of theirs are worth the expense. 965, Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap.... legends in their own right! But DNR really disappoints me. Its burning qualities are first class, really. It lights like hay and stays absolutely cool throuhout the whole bowl. It doesn't need any relights and can be lit by a single match. But I sadly have to mention that I miss any flavour here. It just tastes like hot air with a dash of perique flavour. No character at all, absolutely boring. I smoked it in every pipe. I used the fold and roll method as with stuffing flakes. I rubbed it into small pieces. Nothing. And that's not much for a tobacco for which you pay twelve Euros in Germany. I smoked tobaccos for half the price with more substance.

Frenchysmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frenchysmoker (1)

I know Dunhill tobaccos for several years, Early morning pipe (my favourite), 965, London mixture, Standard mixture medium and Night cap. And now I know Navy rolls. For my first pipe I was disappointed because the flavor of perique is not enough strong, the strength of this tobacco is hardly like the Samuel Gawith's Virginia flake. NR is expansive, more than Escudo for exemple which is better as far as the flavoring and strong are concerned. Therein Escudo VA is equal to perique and it is fairer price than NR for better quality. Nevertheless after five or six pipes with NR in a Peterson bulldog I think this tobacco is not so bad. Refined and elegant in despite of not enough strength (especially concerning perique). Therefore it is an interesting VA with a touch of perique. Alas it will be my first and last tin of NR, too expansive for not enough pleasure. Frenchysmoker

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

I've never had a dunhill tobacco i havnt enjoyed. This is a nice blend. Sweet and somewhat peppery at times. Not too much perique. Just about the perfect vaper smoke for me on warm days or evenings.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

This is my first taste of a "VaPer", so didn't know what to expect. Based my purchase solely on the fact that I've tried Dunhill Flake, which is outstandingly good (also reviewed). Took a single roll, and twisted it into the bowl of my Peterson Aran999, and lit her up. Good, full-bodied tobacco flavor, with absolutely on bite. Wasn't disappointed with this Dunhill tobacco either. Highly recommend.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

DNR is a great VaPer. Big coins of a well balanced mix of lemon and red Virginias with a core of Perique. It is often compared to Davidoff Flake Medallions, and while both are top notch products, the Dunhill version bends towards Perique, making it a bit stronger and bitter.

A classic that needs to be tried, although I prefer other VaPers.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have been disappointed with this mixture which, as others have already pointed out, is fairly expensive.

Quality is there, the taste is nice, it burns well...But...where is the Perique, I ask you?

Now I have to smoke three tins of this.

Escudo is a better, and less expensive, option, lads.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Having smoked Escudo a fair amount, This is no Escudo clone. Yes it visually looks the same. DNR has Definitely less flavor, and less nicotine. I smoked about 3 coins in a large bowl, and got no nicotine effect. I won't say it's bland, but I want more flavor and strength in a vaper. Royal Yacht has more nicotine and is a better choice for a virginia. Where was the Perique in DNR ? I'm going back to Mississippi Mud for real flavor and kick.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

At almost $14.00 a tin I'm glad I only bought one tin, better VaPers out there for less money. Further purchases of coin VaPers will be old favorite Escudo.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice VAPER, enjoyed it very much, if you like VAPERs give this one a try, high-quality tobacco...always equals a GREAT smoke!

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

"Avast! and blow me down there, matey!"

I've always been a little hesitant to smoke anything with the word "navy" in it, for some reason. I picture a bunch of rough looking guys running around the deck trimming sails, belching some foul smelling smoke out of their pipes and singing "Heave Away and Up She Rises."

I was, however, able to face my apprehension and step up to buy a tin of Deluxe Navy Rolls by telling myself that this is probably a blend reserved for the officers in the ward room, not the common deck hands; the "deluxe" adjective makes it seem so. If it's good enough for the Admiral, it's good enough for me, was my reasoning.

This is a no-nonsense but very gentle blend which leaves a wonderful tobacco taste in the mouth, burns to a fine white ash, and is even more interesting to pack in your pipe than other tobaccos, what with the little coins of tobacco that you rub out and all. The room note is a warm, gentle roasty-toasty aroma.

I loved this blend. If I was really in the Navy, I'd probably be written up for spending too much time in the ward room smoking my pipe instead of attending to my duties on the bridge.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)

I don't know how it used to be but the new version is outstanding. Easy to pack and light, consistent genuine sweetness and proper tobacco taste, without being overbearing. Well worth the price and one of a couple of new Dunhill tins that I will certainly continue to smoke regularly.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)

I have to start this review off with the presentation, I think this blend has one of my all time favorite tin presentations, with the script on the lid and the perfect coins all stacked inside, so classic. With that said, it also has a delightful tin note, again very classic like an old book, only sweeter. Smoking this blend you will find that it has a very tobacco taste, it is a bit peppery, somewhat smooth, a classic blend that is fun to fold or twist into the pipe for a different method of packing from your standard ribbon, while I like it's cousins more, Luxury Bullseye Flake, and Escudo Navy Deluxe, this blend is no slouch to the family, and if you like these other two you should for sure give it a try!

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I am very glad that Dunhill have reissued DLNR in the UK. I actually prefer this to their straight VA flake, which has come as a big surprise.

My palatte usually tires of VaPer flavours pretty quickly...I get a craving for 'em, but after a few bowls I'm all done and still have the rest of the tin to finish.

Not so with DLNR. For me, it just seems like an exceptionally well balanced blend, and that makes it one I really look forward to at any time of day. I shall definitely buy this one again.

Edit Aug 2012: I am revisting some of my reviews and regrading, reserving 4 stars only for a select few that have become mainstays in my extended rotation. DLNR, whilst still excellent, is going to lose a star.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)

As others have commented, this blend tastes and looks exactly like Escudo. I do like to keep a tin of this stuff or Escudo in my rotation but I do smoke it sparingly. The tins are packed only half full at the blenders and they cost as much as other blends so it is pricey and I smoke it only occasionally as a treat.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A dry smoke that comes in round 'spun' coins in the Dunhill tin. Nice fancy scrolling artwork on the cover alludes to it's quality. Probably why its costing us the extra quid and a half for all this calligraphy nonsense compared to the other Dunhill blends. Why this is more expensive I really don't know.

Not as peppery as I was expecting from a genuine competitor to the other well established VAPER Escudo. Also you don't get vast plumes of smoke with this. It's a simple feet up, relax and sip away kind of deal here.

This stuff IS a dry smoke, and I usually roll out the coins to thickish ribbon rather than twist and stuff them. Would have preferred a little more sweetness but the perique is vaguely there, though not enough for me.

Orliks Bulls eye and Orliks Dark Kentucky are a cheaper (in cost not quality) and a better preference for me. IMO they are spicier and let it known more so than DNR. Two VERY underestimated tobacco's.

That said though, I do like these Navy rolls by Dunhill, hence the 3 stars.

Have about 5 tins of them left, so I'll see what's going on with them in about 2 years.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

update may 2011 Final verdict -until the next insight..- I prefer DNR whilst smoking in my 'cave', and Davidoff FM smoking outside.

Regularly I have about 20 opened tins lying about, so I normally don't smoke a particular tobacco more often than twice a day. DNR however keeps claiming my attention and since I opened my first ever tin of this – the new production which arrived three days ago in the mail- I have not smoked anything else. Now I like variety so eventually and certainly, I will return to other tobaccoes, but DNR made a significant start on it's way to becoming one of my all time favourites.

Beautifullly simpel, mottled brown coins are neatly stacked in the well known Dunhill round tin. The elegantly designed label pleases me enormously, the tinnote is fruity and uplifting.

Easy to load, folding and stuffing or lightly rubbed out, DNR is easy to light and produces a heavenly, naturally sweet, dry taste with sour overtones and a tingling in the nose. Roomnote is neutral, nice!

Hurray for Dunhill, welcome back!

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)

We have a winner here! I never thought i would say this but, at least for me, this is even better than escudo. To be fair they are very similar and not knowing the history of the tobaccos (amazingly with the internets vast resources there is very little info on pipe tobacco history) I'm not sure who scores points for originality.. However, judging the current products, I find the navy rolls use a slightly but noticeable superior virginia.. at least from my memory, the virginia is more sweet, subtle, and complex.. not to say that the perique is any less present, in fact, it is there around the edges of each puff. I am smoking the orlik version of dunhill, but I cannot imagine a better production. Escudo and navy rolls for me are both 4 star smokes and I will try to age a couple tins of both (if I have the patience).. I am now in love with both this and dunhill flake. . the only virginia smokes that approach this level for me are full virginia flake, solani 633, and st james flake but for the moment I think navy rolls is my new top va/per.

Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoker (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I consider this tobacco top-notch. Highly recommended its pure tobacco!

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Little bit costlier than most, but it's well worth the extra quid because this is a very fine tobacco. Very rich fruity smell from the tin, which carries over to the smoke. I couldn't really feel the perique in this, but others say it's there so I'll take their word for it. Hard to imagine anyone not liking this.

Steverino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steverino (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I cannot add a lot more, this is a great blend which I will try to stock up on. I did want to mention that, to me, this is quite different from Escudo. The tobacco looks like Escudo - even the tin label evokes thoughts of Escudo - but I find that Escudo has much more perique presence than Navy Rolls. I like both, but Navy Rolls gives a nice, smooth smoke that is quite satisfying when the perique "edge" isn't what you want at the time. Definitely a four-star tobacco for this smoker.

Alden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alden (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I agree with the previous four reviews regarding flavour and taste. I would like to add that it is effortless but rewarding, and it seems to leave little evidence of your smoke in the room when you've finished.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is the latest in my on-going revisit to the re-launched Dunhill factory blends by Orlik. I 'tip my hat to them': this is better than the original Murray's blend. spun-cut Virginia and perique as before, but I detect (1) a less pronounced perique content, and (2) a more definite tangy virginia flavour comming through the smoke as it develops through the bowl. I found that moisture content was just perfect straight from the tin - down to preference really. I folded first in order to fill, but quickly found it responds better to a slight rubbing-up - then one (maximum two) light straight to a light ash at the bottom of the bowl.

Interesting packaging: the fact is that the contents of two tins fitted comfortably into one and so you might feel a 'bit hard done by' when it comes to price - it's not cheap compared to other UK offerings, but it is definetly worth it - this is seriously quality tobacco in just the right proportions, especially, if you can't smoke your virginias without that little added spice!

UPDATE!

I got the 4 stars right first time - bought another 5 tins of this yesterday. This stuff just gets better and I find I cannot be without it in the house. I'm not a great perique fan and generally stick to straight virginias, but the proportions of V to P are just so perfectly balanced here that you can't help but appreciate that these two tobaccos really do belong together. I've updated this because I now feel its strength is positively medium (not mild to medium), and very pleasant (not pleasant to tolerable). The subsequent reviewer has, in my view, pointed out two more observations: it is an effortless smoke and doesn't create plumes of dense smoke.

First class.

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (18)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

my absolute new favorite tobacco! I usually smoke, as I stated in my other reviews, balkan and english blends or stuff like irish flake.

I recently decided to buy this because I wanted to try a REAL VaPer (three nuns original supposedly isn't made with perique anymore, although I still really enjoy it.)

The tin note reminds me of ketchup and a little of chocolate with a little grassy hay-like aroma from the virginias.

I just roll up 2-3 discs and twist them into my pipe. lighting is easy as ever. the first puffs are somewhat spicy in a good way, and actually the only way I could describe the flavor would be very very fresh and a little spicy throughout. I also feel it kind of tastes the way rain smells on warm concrete, which imo is an awesome smell. (petrichor??)

great tobacco, easy handling, well-behaved and delicious. 2-3 discs will easily, with "my" method, give you 2 to 3 hours of pleasure with this.

I don't care how they are supposed to have tasted a while back and I don't care whether or not it tastes like escudo, since I never got t0o try it.

it's just great. like I said, new favorite. even over my balkan sobranie!

VentiLator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VentiLator (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

what a great tobacco! it smoked very well, nearly no relighting. i rubbed it out and dried it a little. a little sweet taste plus some herbal spicyness, delicious. it gets nutty to the end, really great, that must be the condensation swamping through the unburnt tobacco. no tongueburn, a great everyday smoke! update previously i only smoked it in a corncob (i'm a student, i cant afford bad ghosts in my briarpipes). today, after founding this one delicious, i packed a briar bowl with it. i upgrade my review to 5 stars! what a smooth smoke, this one doesnt need any attention at all, i had 3 relights over the whole bowl and experienced no tonguebite whatsoever. this is the first tobacco i manage to smoke down to the bottom, you should have seen my face when i cleaned my pipe afterwards. i expected some dottle but there was only some fine, white ash. im quite new to pipesmoking so this really is encouraging. tip: mix this with a little bit of your favorite aromatic. you'll get a good smoking mix where the aro comes trough quite nice, noticable bot not sticky, overpowered.

ned Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ned (10)

a wonderfull tobacco, the taste is really pleasant, it is a little bit spicy, that gives it relief not found on others; really good!

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

One of my favourite tobaccos. A very well balanced and harmonic Virgina-Perique blend.

A subtle natural sweetness accompanies you throughout the entire smoke. Once in a while a little perique is tickling your nose.

Very mellow & elegant smoke yet medium-full-bodied.

This is indeed DE LUXE !!!

Every pipe-smoker should try it at least once...

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

I think Dunhill doesn't dissapoint the smoker with this blend. Elegancy of the tin and contents is a Dunhill classic. The rolls are easy to pack and light. The virginia quality is Dunhill's choice, so it is awesome.

The perique content can be too much for a beginner. But if you are experienced with these kind of blends this tobacco will surely satisfy your needs.

After each bowl I've said myself that I've made a good job.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

In another review (Davidoff's Flake Medallions) I made a remark about this one being somewhat biting, or something to that extent. And that is true, but that seems to become less and less of a problem the longer the tin is opened. The rough edges I experienced at first evened themselves out after a couple of months. Even though I prefer the Davidoff, I still find myself reaching for the Dunhill tin more frequently, it is somehow more suitable for all-day puffing. I've started building up a stack of tins of this for the cellar, as I expect it to improve alot after a few years. Overall this is a great tobacco, and although somewhat more expensive than your average flake/roll cake, its smokability makes up for it.

Update: Today (2011-02-12), on the 2-year anniversary of my initial review, I opened up one of the previously mentioned cellared tins to see what, if any, changes had occurred. I was not disappointed; not in the slightest. Even though I have nothing but fond memories for this blend and often thought about smoking it, I somehow managed to keep myself busy with many other blends and stay away from the stash. My only regret is that I did not buy more (many more) tins two years ago, and kept buying even more up until now. I am aware that some (including me) would argue that two years probably isn't enough time to properly age a tobacco - but that, my friends, is what the rest of the tins are for. Even if my memory deceives me and it hasn't changed as monumentally as I am convincing myself, this tin definately seems much better than I remember a fresh tin was. Smoother, sweeter, richer and deeper taste. The bite that bothered me somewhat the first time around is totally absent (unless seriously provoked), of course I can't be certain that this is because of the tin's age or if I've become less sensitive. Anyway, if this only gets better from now on, I will be singing my own praises in a few years time. Needless to say I will continue stacking tins of this.

Pipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipey (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is somewhat of a strange tobacco for me. I feel that the strenth isnt overwhelming but its not really my cup of tea.

the thing about this mixture is that its nice, but it lacks the refined and complicated flavour that i expected.

I was astounded to see how much was actually in the tin, it seemed almost empty in there, but the rolls are very dense.

I loaded up one of my cavicchi flake pipes (thanks again Tarek) and lit up.

The mixture burned fine, smelt and tasted ok, and i was left thinking, hmm, this is nice, but im not that fussed that this one is hard for me to get.

In terms of vaper, i dont think this has that much per. I think of this as more of a matured virginia flake... Its nice, not as strong as orlik golden sliced for example, but its definately not for the beginning pipe smoker. The aroma is typical va, the flavour stong, sweet, smoky (not in a latakia way) and it burns fine. the tin i was smoking was purchased at dan pipe in lauenberg about 3 years ago, and its been sitting in the cellar the whole time... 2 coins was enough to fill the bowl and i didnt rub it out at all. just folded and squished, and it went perfect.

Dont get me wrong, this is a nice blend, and i would buy and smoke it again, however, given the choice between this and say, London Mixture, i would take the latter every time.

Try it if you can find it, its worth a puff. not an everyday for me tho.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This tobacco was brought to our pipe club meeting, and I saw the beautiful rolls and had to try it. The tobacco tin note is of high quality VA and just a hint of Perique (the fermented fruit smell). The tobacco rubs out as easy as anything I have ever rubbed. The tobacco burns cool for a VAPER and requires very little attention. This makes for a good conversation tobacco. The taste is of very high quality VA and just a hint of Perique, maybe too subtle for my taste. The tobacco gets noticeably richer as the bowl progresses and never overwhelms the pallet. This tobacco could be an all day smoke, if you could get a steady supply, but is probably better suited as a treat.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is very difficult tobacco to come by and very expensive when purchased in the UK. I don't know if they even make this anymore. Luckily a friend of mine from the UK brought me five tins in 2005.

I like this blend quite a bit. I have not smoked enough of it to know if it is identical to Escudo as some say, but it is very similar. To me, that is a good thing.

The disks are very easy to work with, and I usually only partially rub it out. The perique content is just about perfect for me.

I imagine that when I finish my five tins, there is no more to be had. I will probably stretch this out another four years.

This whole mess of Dunhill, Rattray, Gawith et al changing blends, blenders and discontinuing blends is starting to get on my nerves. So is the inconsistency. My purchases lately are tending to lean toward McClelland, G.L. Pease and C&D. They seem to be more stable in the marketplace.

Scottish Steve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottish Steve (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

[ This is my penny's-worth. I know there are many knowledgeable palates on this site and hope to update this review as mine develops over the years ] Over the past year or so, it's become apparent that I'm definitely a VA/Per fan and I always seem to come back to DNRs. Escudo seems a bit clipped or compressed in comparison, like a NAD amp - great at what it does, but missing something. Scottish Cake is phenomenal, but can demand a bit too much attention at times and is so complex and tasty that it loses a little tobacco straightforwardness - it's almost too good. DNRs seem to have the right combination of tobacco flavour and extra complexity and the strength is just perfect. Never wimpy or overwhelming, it develops slowly in the bowl and seems to hang on and on in the heel.It smells great in the tin, with raisins or dried fruit and looks lovely; yellow with dark chocolate. It definitely comes across as a good quality product[though I think the fact that they ask more money for this than a standard blend is marketing]. This doesn't try too hard, nor emphasise one element of the VA/Per style over another and I've come to think of it as the foundation from which I judge everything else. So for me Three Nuns has a nice, sweet quality, but is too weak, Esc is clipped, Scottish Cake/Flake are treats and so on. I think the Per doesn't impinge itself too much on the base VA and that's the secret of its satisfying quality. I think of DNRs and Peterson's University Flake as occupying the same place in their different styles and would recommend either.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)

1st class virginias and perique in beautiful dark rolls. Expensive stuff but great! I use it as a treat from times to times and they never let me down..

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

UPDATE: first of all, i was told by someone at the orlik manufacturers that DLNR IS DISCONTINUED IN DENMARK - I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE REST OF THE EU! second, she told me that it's absolutely identical to present day escudo. END UPDATE.

this is as close as i can get to good old escudo here in denmark - and pretty close it is.

the difference lies, i believe, in the virginia base having a little less caracter and being moistened with pg (only guessing here, from the fact that it dries slowly, as i cannot smell or taste it - and it sure doesn't quite live up to the credo of cope's version: "free from all scent or added flavours"), and a smaller amount of perique. all in all a little less strength. still, the tin aroma must one of the most inviting i know of. intense fig-and-raisins, stoved fruit, yummy!

easy to pack and light, tastes fine from the beginning till the end, with bright virginia zest and sweetness, and the solid heavy notes of perique (with the bonus of that ever-so-slight peppery spiciness). it's a most delightfull smoke, especially after dinner with an espresso, but it can really be smoked most of the day.

it seems to age well. i have a large store of it, and i'm continually enlarging it, as i want to be able to keep smoking this blend for years to come in case it should be discontinued.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have not had this wonderful tobacco in quite some time now, but my recently smoking a bowl of Escudo prompted me to chime in anyway.

For the most part, this mixture reminded me very much of Escudo, although it does seem as if the De Luxe Navy Rolls were a touch smoother, with the flavours more integrated, than I found with Escudo. Then again, I haven't had the pleasure of smoking the great Escudo from years past, so my impressions may be due mostly to a change in the quality of the Escudo.

eeijas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eeijas (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

nuthin special bout dis blend....real mild, nt dat sweet...one of the va dominated blend dat dusnt bite the tongue..;thrs a light subtle taste of honey to it....satisfying to smoke on a hot day...dusnt meet up wit the va sanctity

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

I do not reach out for Dunhill's Navy rolls very often, but when I do, I find it a suave and sophisticated smoke. It satisfies in every way and I cannot find any fault with it. My tastebuds prefer Dunbar for its riper taste, though.

I must confess that blind-folded I would be hard put to distinguish between this and Escudo.

JoeBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeBriar (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classic smoke. Natural VA with Perique, handmade & coin cut. The tin smells like fruit cake, plums & raisins - my wife even likes it! I rub it out well & pack my pipe, others stack or fold the coins. My way is easier to light. The smoke is rich, full flavoured with the naturally sweet aromas coming through at first. Toward the end of the bowl this is replaced by a stronger series of peppery notes (from the Perique?). An excellent late evening smoke. Smoke slowly to savour. Burns evenly and cleanly down to a salt & pepper ash.

To me this is the best Virginia-Perique blend on the marked today. Not an all-day smoke, it's a pretty strong tobacco and the taste is so complex you can almost wonder how can it be made by just two types of tobacco. The rolls are beautiful to look at, a real craftmanship masterpiece, and they can be crumbled really easily; packing is easy too. From the first puffs Perique is very assertive, slightly hiding the virginia, but then the sweetness emerges and the two tobaccos melt together in a wonderful way. This tobacco doesn't build up in a particular way, but the fine interplay between virginia and perique goes on till the end of the bowl, always tasty and never "cigarettish". Highly recommended.

zyghom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zyghom (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

This is THE tobacco. Not smoking it every day but rather from ocasion to ocasion. Maybe not the easiest for smoking at the begining of the adventure with pipes but worth to try later.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a blend that needs aging time before smoking. I ordered six tins from Synjeco over a year ago. The first tin was opened on arrival. The perique was overpowering the virginia, creating a harsh taste. I opened the second tin six months later and found only minimal improvement. The third was opened after one year and the difference was remarkable. The blend was smooth and the perique and virginia were in sinc. Although I would give the aged tin a three star, I only rated it a two because of the aging required. I wonder why tobacco blenders don't age their products before selling, like whiskey distillers.

Update: This new version from Orlik is exceptional. It's fresher and more crumbly with less perique. Excellent right out of the tin with no ageing. Burns beautifully to the bottom of the bowl. This is definitely a 4 star blend and one of my top 5.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is grand. I quite enjoy the Escudo offering but DNR is on a different field. Where the Danish blend is bright and rough-edged, the Dunhill is soft and full, never peaky, merely darkening in flavor as the bowl is consumed. I wish I could smoke this more often but as it is not available in North America it is but a rare treat for my palate. Well recommended to enjoyers of all things va/ perique.

I couldn't find this product sold in the USA and ordering from overseas just added cost to an already expensive blend. The fruity tin aroma and hand crafted disks ~ the size of a silver dollar and on the darker side with veins of golden VAs were very inviting when I opened the tin. I just folded and easily packed them into varying bowl sizes with equal success. With this method, a cool, mild, tasty smoke with an ideal burn rate resulted. The Perique remains in the background even as it further develops towards the end of the smoke but the sweet VAs dominate. A great smoke that deserves the Dunhill name but still no match to Reiner's Long Golden Flake for my #1 spot in VA/Perique blends. However, my rating was downgraded to reality based on the price and availability in the USA limiting how often I will smoke this blend. Even when compared to bulk McClelland's 2015, it's not worth the hassle, wait and expense of importing. If/when it is directly sold in the USA, it will be added to my regular stock.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

September 2004

As DNR apparently is not available in the US, I ended up ordering a tin from a British tobacco house. Cost: About 12 British Pounds after shipping and handling. I think this is somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 US or more--I'll find out for sure when I get the credit card statement . . .

I agree with the earlier reviewers who feel that this blend may be slightly more refined and less Perique-heavy than the new Escudo. Since I like to rub out the discs, the Perique was pronounced for me in both blends. Thr DNR burned a bit better, but that could be a function of moisture levels. Anyway, I'll probably stick with the Escudo, as I can get it locally and for less than half the price of DNR. I still give Pease's Haddo's Delight a slight edge over DNR and Escudo as far as Virginia Perique blends go--but not too much of an edge!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Escudo was a legendary tobacco for all the Virginia/Perique lovers. It seems to be the Holy Grail, as it often happens when something goes out of production. This made me curious about this new Dunhill product, which is said to be the exact replica of Escudo: I won't say if this is better or worse than the original, but it seems that the two are almost the same unless you have oversensitive taste buds or some prejudice (to some, old tobaccos are always better than the new ones even if there are no differences). As soon as my tin arrived from Switzerland, I had to give it a try: the round tin is littler than Dunhill's usual ones, and the label says it is made in Denmark (unusual for a Dunhill tobacco, and a hint that this is truly made by the brand which makes the latest incarnation of Escudo). The tin aroma is great: typical Virginia sweetness, Perique sourness, and a fruity note that beats anything I have smelled so far. The large coins of pressed tobacco (think of flakes with a round shape) are beautiful, with their alternating golden/dark brown veins. This is certainly one of the most beautiful tobaccos ever! Crumbling the coins in the bowl is child's play: usually one, or one and a half, is enough for me. The first impressions were rather disappointing: not much flavour. As soon as the bowl progressed, anyway, the taste began to get stronger: the sweetness/sourness of a typical Virginia/Perique started to jump out more distinctly, especially when puffed at the correct slow and relaxed pace. Some frutiy notes, some chocolate hints, a very cool and subtly changing experience. If packed correctly, this tobacco burns fine and regularly, very cool and without bite, as usual with pressed Virginias. After half a tin of it, I must say that this is a very good tobacco, but I can't understand what all the fuss about Escudo was (accepting for granted the assumption that this stuff is identical, of course). Sure, this clone has a very sophisticated taste, with lots of nuances to discover if you have the patience to learnt to pack it correctly and smoke it at the perfect pace (it is very little tolerant to mistakes: it's hard to get its taste correctly), but I could easily live without it. Don't misunderstand me: I enjoy it, but I think that Rattray has some Virginia flakes in its offering that offer MUCH more taste and are just as sophisticated. And I think that Ashton's Old London Pebblecut is a Virginia/Perique flake that offers a very similar taste to Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls, maybe with some more Perique spiciness/sourness, but ultimately very close. And, BTW, Navy Rolls is very expensive! So, if you really can't live with Escudo/Navy Rolls and love Va/Perique, buy it without any doubt: you will like it. But, please, open your eyes towards the different, tastier (and cheaper) alternatives from other brands: without prejudices to cloud your senses, you might find some pleasant surprises! But that tin aroma is something to die for...

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

A magnificent tobacco! Lovely tin aroma, rich fruit with the perique spice in the background, rubs and lights with the greatest ease. The flavour starts as a rich, fruity virginia, building up to a peppery spice taste from the perique, lively and exciting, but full and without any bite. The aroma is delicious too, quite stong though.

It has plenty of nicotene, but it is not overwhelming. Rather than being a kick like St Bruno, this just builds steadily, leaving me with a warm glow of relaxation.

Sadly, its quite expensive, so I usually only smoke it on Sundays, it goes down a treat after a huge Sunday breakfast. An excellent way to begin a day of enjoyable and repleted idleness.

Le2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Le2 (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A wonderful taste of pure tobacco. My favourite Virginia / Perique blend. My friends doesn´t like the smell though.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Very Pleasant

This is my favourite tobacco. If it has right humidity, if it is right put in the chimney, you will smoke it long, with much pleasure. It is not easy to smoke this tobacco, but if you can - you must try, because it is VERY TASTY!!!

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

I decided to take the advice of wiser folk than me when I first tried Navy Rolls. I did not rub out this tobacco as is my wont, but rather rolled two slices and filled my Peterson churchwarden thusly.

Rich, sweet, sublime.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

October-2003. Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls. When I'm in the mood for Virginia & Perique I alway's go to Escudo,but after trying De Luxe Navy Rolls I have no hesitation in recommending this. Light's extremely easily & smoke's beautifully all the way down to the bottom of the bowl,leaving a nice clean ash.No goop with this one & the flavour of the Virginia & Perique both come into play in a most clean delicious straight smooth way.As with Escudo I highly recommend this also.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked two tins of this DNR roll cake in Ashtons (XX and XXX). I have also smoked several tins of the new Escudo (both new and aged) in a small Dunhill and Bjarne high grade. It took me years to get down to this review, but I still need to keep trying them side by side to get a final opinion, but who needs to wait for that. I do find DNR as having a little more depth than the new Escudo, close but after all a matter of a degree or two in pipe tobacco transforms a good blend into a great one. Escudo aged for a couple of years or more is closer to DNR.

I never tried the old Escudo, which DNR is advertised to approximate better. Indeed both DLN and aged new Escudo give me an experience close to what I hear the old Escudo created. The new unaged Escudo tin just seems lighter to me. I think new Escudo needs to be aged for quite a while to achieve that old Escudo punch, while DLN is probably closer to the original off the shelf. (However, I have ben told by some, but not all, experienced old Escudo buffs that there is no detectable difference between the old and new. Opinions do differ here (e.g., Ephermis articles) in these subtle evaluations.)

I compared the two (DLN with new but aged Escudo).

Tin aroma: DLN - plum cake, ketchup, rich; aged new Escudo - more sour like. DLN smells better. I don't think a new tin of Escudo smells as strong (or bad) as the aged one. I don't think either has any or much scenting; just aged, matured virginia.

Visual: DLN - 24 large thick rounds of brown and bright tobacco with some darkness. Aged new Escudo - similar if not identical disks but after two plus years of aging, very dark and black, almost like mostly dark flake. A newer tin of Escudo has a similar disk color appearance as DLN. I found the Escudo rounds rolled better (the way I pack it is to roll and stop down with my thumb); DLN's broke up a wee bit more, but o.k.

Room aroma: DLN - light presence but "hit and run" ((probably from the scent of the perique). Aged Escudo - ashy; similar to a cigarette to an untrained nose. But not a heavy room aroma.

Taste: DLN - flavor quickly builds to a melancholy red virginina type ("fruity") sweetness with a dark spicy side. The more split up the coins, the deeper the perique presence and less sweetness from the virginia. Not as heavy or sweet as St. Bruno or as strong (or bitey) as Esoterica's Dorchester. Still cool and biteless, unless you break it up too much or smoke to quickly, then the perique will get you. Aged Escudo - similar but a slightly darker flavor. (I recall a new tin of Escudo being lighter in color, taste, and complexity. You didn't taste the perique much except as a slightly pepperly note toward the finish.) Still fairly cool; a quality smoke.

Overall, I think DLN wins by a nose (no pun intended), but both DLN and new aged Escudo are quality curly cut smokes. Matured virginia sweetness with a dark note if you roll the coins in the bowl lengthwise and plug or stop them down. Neither is difficult to light or to keep lit. Neither is a wet smoke. Neither is heavy (unless you break them up too much or just don't like perique at all). Both are cool. But again it takes new Escudo a while in the tin, in my opinion, to approach DLN. Similar is all other respects.

Maybe someone scientist/reviewer can do a more detailed scientific comparison.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)

Judging by the packaging, content, and roll-cut, this is clearly Dunhill's answer to Escudo, and what an answer it is! If Escudo is a rough-and-tumble trip on a four-master, Deluxe Navy Rolls is a smooth, luxurious ride on the QE2. It's a class act all the way.

The Rolls are a dead-ringer for Escudo; they look, smell, and rub out exactly the way Escudo does. But upon lighting up, the difference becomes obvious. DNR is considerably more refined and smooth than its predecessor. The quality of the Virginias is first rate. The Perique presents itself and does its work well, without overwhelming the smoker as Escudo often does. Not as sweet as Three Nuns, nor as woodsy as McClelland 2015, DNR shoots straight down the middle with a robust, flavorful smoke with just enough spice to keep it from ever becoming uninteresting. (And I'm a guy who generally doesn't care for Dunhill Virginias.)

If you're a fan of Escudo, you should seek DNR out and try it. If you've smoked Escudo and come away either overwhelmed or underwhelmed, you should _definitely_ try DNR. It's a crime that this stuff isn't available in the U.S.!

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Nice presentation upon opening tin. Attractive meaty smelling rolls of mixed shades. Dry it a little and ready to go. Flavor was a little lacking, glad the perique is there. Very one dimensional, wondering how this used to be many years ago.

Lucretius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lucretius (6)

I had high hopes for this blend, as I have enjoyed several other Dunhill tobaccos and am fond of a good VaPer.

I don't know if I got unlucky with a bad tin, but this was easily the worst tobacco I have smoked. Dry, tasteless and hot, I could not find anything to enjoy about this blend. If Winston Smith in Orwell's '1984' had smoked a pipe, I can imagine this would have been the government sanctioned tobacco.

Not recommended, and so 1 star from me.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

I tried it in the Pharmacy of my good friend Iordanis. He has just received it and I tried it with him.

It is the first and probably the last Dunhill that I try, maybe because the name Dunhill, reminds me of cigarette or something overestimated. I don?t know whether it is one of the good or bad Dunhill, but it has justified the negative view I have ? generally ? for this brand.

First of all, it is a bit dry, it crumbles quite easily, it does not warm up and fills in the bowl easily. We were looking in the center of roll, for the Perique. We didn?t find it. Its flavor though, was there, strong as the snuff was going down.

When you turn it on, you think: ?Something good might happen here?. But when the fire goes towards the bowl, then you feel that you smoke a Dunhill cigarette, which you feel that it burns your throat even more.

I scarfed a tin of this blend off Ebay a couple of months ago. I am not sure whether it can readily be purchased in the U.S., or not.

The discs are easily crumbled, and the packing is also very easy. This particular blend comes a bit drier than many of the Dunhill tobaccos.

I think this is better by far than Three Nuns or Escudo. Those two blends have way too much perique for me. And Three Nuns just plain stinks! As is typical of Dunhill, the virginia base is top notch, and I did not detect any added flavoring in the leaf. Perique, if very subdued, can be tolerated by my palate, and I detected just a smidgen of the Louisiana goo in this particular blend.

If you fancy laid-back perique blends, then join Dunhill's Navy, otherwise, ship out on a different boat.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (25)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I tried Escudo and I thought I simply had a bad experience with that blend, or maybe just that tin. So I tried Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls. It was nearly the same experience, but worse. It seems VaPer is just not for me. Here's the good. The burning characteristics are great. It stayed lit with the true light up. There was no gurgle. It burned evenly with almost no dottle. And the room note is pleasant, once your olfactory senses have strained themselves to pick it up. THAT'S IT. Here's the bad. I've learned that, for me, that "Perique spiciness" only means "chemical tongue bite". The smoke itself was 99.9999 flavorless. I rate the nicotine high enough to give me a major headache afterwards. Conclusion. After trying two of the highest rated VaPers and having poor results with both, I'm done with all of them. It isn't for me. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.