BnB Tobacco

A unique mixture of selected tobaccos including golden Virginia and Black Cavendish, topped with a cream caramel flavor. To make this wonderful tobacco even more attractive, it is blended with hand-rubbed Virginia flake which results in a fantastic aroma.

BrandPeterson
Taste

2.0
flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)

Wow...this one is not so good for me. The tobbaco smells nice, but the smoke is basically tasteless with the exception of a chemical, burning tang. Dissapointing blend from Peterson.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tobacco at first seemed a relatively good quality aromatic. The pouch aroma was inviting and not overwhelming and the broken flake presentation of the tobacco itself quite convincing.

After smoking it for some days however, I was not only let down by the mediocrity of the tobacco's body but also constantly left with a sickening aftertaste due to the chemical composition of the casing (too much glycerol maybe?). Never again. Tremendously bad experience.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Having tried Peterson's Irish Oak and Sherlock Holmes, and enjoying them, I thought I would try some other of Peterson's offerings. A big mistake on my part. Sweet Killarney is much too sweet for me. I smoke a lot of aromatics, but I can't handle this one. I smoked about a half a bowl before I said "Enough". The sweetness that came through was almost sickish, and my tongue felt like I had licked a burning hot coal. Peterson uses very good tobacco in their blends, but this one isn't for me.

Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Sweet Killarney . Contrary to popular opinion I actually quite enjoyed this . You can easily detect the Caramel/Cream in it which I found to be of a pleasant strength . On the negative side (as many state) if you draw hard it will bite quite strongly , so approach it with ease . If taken steadily I found it to be quite forgiving with tongue bite . The taste is prodigiously sweet which may be too much for many people but the sweetness can be easily identified as Caramel/Cream .

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

A real tongue scorcher and not much else. Whoever blends tobacco for Peterson should keep his day job.

Phred Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phred (2)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

The smell in the tin is a bit weaker than expected.

The smell and flavor on light is very mildly 'not tobbacco', but that goes away fairly quickly. The smoke is light, and while it doesn't have what I would call a 'pleasing' aroma, it isn't overpowering.

I don't really find anything remarkable about it. It is based on decent tobacco, but without any real creamy flavour or wife-pleasing room note to speak of, I'd rather spend my money on something more fulfilling.

I will not buy it again, but I'll probably finish the tin, with copious sharing.

Irish Newbie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irish Newbie (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

I found this blend to be deeply disappointing - for some reason it just doesn't taste good - it smells nice in the tin but this does not translate into the smoke - it didn't bit just smoked wet and sticky - when I allowed it dry a bit in the tin the taste didn't improve although it obviously smoked drier. At this stage I am going to give up on the Peterson range as I have yet to find a tobacco I like in it.

Update I have really tried to like this tobacco but it has achieved an almost unique distinction - I threw it out - it was that disgusting. Avoid at all costs. As far as I can see it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, the room note is foul also so not a crowd pleaser.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (6)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I should have learned from my experience with their Sherlock Holmes blend, but oh well. This tobacco has a wonderful caramel tin note. Other than that, it's pretty useless. The worst tobacco that I have ever tried by far. The first puff isn't so bad. After that, your taste buds become so steamed that you cannot taste anything. The room note was barely noticeable and nothing to write home about. I gave this tin away too (although it would have been a great potpourri just to leave out on the nightstand). No more Peterson blends for me. Lesson learned this time.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and aged 1 month

Purchased From: The Squire, Charleston, WV

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (16)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I think the negative views of this tobacco is a bit unfair. I'm a fan of Petersen tobaccos with Irish Oak and Irish flake my favourites. I won't say Sweet Killarney is another favourite but, on the other hand, it's not really as bad as some of the reviews make it. I dry the tobacco spread open on a piece of paper. I "prime" my pipe after it's been charged with SK; light the tobacco until it's burning evenly. I then tamp it down a bit and leave the pipe for, say an hour. When I then relight, the peppery taste is amost gone completely and I enjoy the baccy. I like the sweetness, very nice room note, good nicotine kick and the fact that it burns down to dottle. No gurgle, no tongue bite. A good tobacco over all. I always have a tin in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Savinelli and Goussard freehand

Purchased From: Curiosity Hut

Scots Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scots Jim (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I had high hopes for this tobacco. It smelled nice in the tin. It was hot as hell to smoke, even when I tried smoking it very slowly. Pretty much tasteless also. I tried three bowls before giving the rest away. Will not buy again.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (35)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I bought a tin of this because of the name Peterson. And, I've been looking for that illusive tobacco that is both aromatic and full of taste. I assumed that Peterson could put together a good aromatic. They didn't on this brand. The tobacco packed well and the moisture level was a little high. Even with the high moisture, the stuff lighted up reasonably well. There was never a need for a re-light. The tin aroma matched the smoke aroma. There was the smell of caramel and honey. There was also a fruity essence to the taste. These are the positives. The first thing one notices is that the caramel taste does not transfer to the smoke. The second thing you find is that the taste flattens out when the sugars burn off and there is nothing left but the tobacco. By this time, you note the lack of nicotine. Some may consider this a positive, but I do not. Finally, there is serious tongue-bite. The stuff just gets hotter and hotter! I have mentioned that the taste disappears, but that may be due to the incredible amout of heat. There are some aromatics I enjoy and you do have to know how to enjoy them, but wow! For the price, with a prestigious name, and from a smoker who enjoys aromatics, you should look elsewhere. I have had some Smoker's Pride that behaved better!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I got a chance to try this tobacco at a friends place. It was a fairly old tin (approximately 2 years) so it had some time to dry. I found the tin note to be a bit standoffish pretty sweet and chocolaty. I primarily smoke English tobaccos but not wanting to be rude gave it a try. What I found was a bit more tobacco taste that I expected, still less than I like, and a "Baileys Irish Cream. It was a bit better that I expected but still not my cup of tea. The blend of tobaccos made it an specially mellow blend that if the taste was your fancy could easily be smoked all day. I did notice that my mouth felt coated with wax when I was done, so that was not a high point. Overall as aromatics go, this is another in a long line of average tobaccos that I will probably not try again atleast for a long while.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium Extra Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Without a doubt one of the most horrid smoking experiences I've ever had, ranking a close second to Mixture #79.

This overcased monstrosity of a tobacco bites like hell and has absolutely no redeeming qualities.

My tin became garden mulch.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Tiger's review hit the preverbial nail squarily on the head. The only thing I will add is It bites like a Rabid Ferrit.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

I was really hoping to like Sweey Killarney but that was just too much to hope for. Bear in mind I'm mostly a medium-English type so take this with several grains of salt. To me - the casing wasn't so much "caramelly" as it was just "too much". It was like smoking one of those cheap scented candles from the grocery store. It was also wet and poorly behaved and, surprise - bystanders were not particularly enamored with its' room note at all. One likened it to "some kind of dish soap". For no other reason than I know aromatic smokers who are nice people I'll give Sweet Killarney one star, a small one.

Tiger

Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Very similar (slightly better, maybe) to Sunset Breeze: a bit less sticky to the touch and nauseating to the nose, but the philosophy is identical. There's some black cavendish less, and more broken flake, but what dominates is the topping. As usual, great for those around you (I have got many compliments from colleagues at work!), but very unsatisfying for the smoker: while there is some taste of the casing, it is not as pleasant and sweet as the smell would suggest (and if it were, it would probably be too nauseating). There is some tobacco taste here and there, but I keep getting a much nicer natural, pleasant and fulfilling sweetness from some uncased Virginia flakes! Not to mention about the acrid notes that emerge towards the bottom of the bowl. Bad? Well, no, at least if this is your kind of tobacco. But I can't find any reason to buy another tin of it.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I like earthy strong tobaccos without sweet flavorings. I could only tolerate two bowls of this due to the intense sweet flavor. I dislike it and it's much cheaper to rapidly ingest several Pixie Sticks if I want a sweet taste.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (17)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Now don't go thinking I'm not the sort of guy to give this tobacco a fair chance; I smoked the whole tin of it before making up my mind. Please don't think I don't like aromatics; occasionally I'll still reach for 509 or Cn. Black. And virginias are my staple choice. So with that in mind, let us continue to the review.

The stuff has a good appearance of lemon and bright virginia and an aroma good enough to eat right out of the tin. The charring light gives one the impression that one might like the tobacco.

The charring light lies. This is the most unpredictable, badly behaved tobaccos I have ever smoked. Some whiffs were pure flavoring, others were pure cigarette tobacco. Still others were an unpleasant amalgam of the two. Making matters worse, the flavor lingers in any pipe you smoke it in.

You might very well like this tobacco. Unfortunately, I do not.

p.Holloway Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.Holloway (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

When I 1st opened the tin and smelled the blend I was almost sure I was going to enjoy this. Sadly I was mistaken. The aroma was far more appealing than the smoke. Little to no flavor except on the first few puffs after which starts to bite.

Pipe Used: Peterson Calabash, Dr. Grabow Duke

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This blend is kind of different than your average aromatic. The casing seemed light, even though to me it seemed like it was trying to hard to taste good. The room note is incredible. Anyone who gets a whiff of that will be pleased.

I, however, was not pleased with the taste and the tongue bite from smoking just a little fast. Other Peterson blends do not usually burn, but I had problems with this.

The flavor and smell seemed to be Caramel. Which was very good, but nonetheless, I prefer a good taste, that's long lasting and smooth over smell.

Pipe Used: Peterson System (Bent)

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Nice tin aroma. Fruity and perhaps a bit nutty [burley?]. Always a hot burn. Lacks depth although a 'woody' taste becomes apparent as the bowl heats up. With little character, and a tendency to become a little 'bitey' I set this blend aside for some months and came back to it again tonight several hours after a pipe of Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake and confirm that Sweet Killarney is a nondescript aromatic that is no longer going to find space in my tobacco stocks. Try something else!!

Pipe Used: Peterson 221, 999; Falcon bent stem, deep bowl

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (132)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Peterson definitely missed the boat on this blend. They are trying to hit a Nolan Ryan fastball and are failing miserably in the attempt. Don't even bother with this one.

pylorns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylorns (6)
Very Mild Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Almost sticky sweet, when I cracked the tin I was greeted with an over abundance of sweet fruit. Drying out helps this tobacco immensely in my opinion. Smoking in my peterson system pipe - there was a slight bite to it, but very faint. Once dry it smoked without much relight.

Purchased From: Heroes and Legacies

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The room note and aroma coming out of the tin set you up for disappointment. Taste is bland and it burns hotter than other Peterson blends. I much prefer Connoisseur's Choice or Deluxe blend over Sweet Killarney. It isn't bad but there are much better blends out there.

M42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M42 (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I don't hate Peterson and have no idea what is going on here. But I do know this is one tobacco that missed its potential. The tin aroma is wonderful as is the room aroma. However, the taste is bland and the tobacco smokes very hot and gave me the worse case of tongue bite I have ever experienced. I wanted to like this tobacco so much because of the pleasant room aroma, but no matter what pipe I smoked it in - including very large bowls or how slow I smoked it I could not keep it from burning hot and frying my tongue. I just with Peterson would put this flavoring on better leaf.

mark121863 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mark121863 (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After 20+ years a pipe smoker I have tried many tobaccos and pipes. I do not sell, or work in the tobacco industry. To provide this review a base-line: My favorite is Full English Tobacco loaded in a medium Meerschaum Pipe. My second choice is Nougat blended bulk. I enjoy the slight lingering effect of Nougat in the Meerschaum Pipe when smoking the next bowel of Full English. Also, I prefer a $70.00 Meerschaum over any $200.00 Briar in my collection.

Contrary to all the Peterson hating review posted here, SWEET KILLARNEY is a wonderful aromatic with a pleasantly sweet flavor. The nut-to-nougat-to-light-vanilla flavoring is ever lasting to the end of the smoke. Most aromatics tend to bite and must be lightly puffed. My vitamin N seeking habit is to draw hard. I can easily suffer a bite from cased aromatics. However, drunk or sober, SWEET KILLARNEY has never yet bit my tongue.

I must take a stand for truth in these reviews. In my opinion: a few people on this board truly hate Peterson and have reported overly negative on more than one blend. I have learned that If they post too much raving hate of a blend than, I should rush to try some. LOL…

IMHO, a true evaluation of SWEET KILLARNEY was given by Franklin-Ryan who said, “The taste is soft and creamy with just a hint of fruit with the Virginias coming through stronger but not overwhelmingly at the end for a clean finish. No tongue bite at all even when in a hotter pipe after several smokes and the taste is consistent throughout the whole bowl. The room-note is soft and creamy too. It burns quite clean with a medium light ash and fairly little waste. Quite simply an excellent all day blend. The cool burning burly is well complimented by the Virginia flake and just the right amount of Cavendish to get the casing taste without the usual gurgling tongue biting side effects!”

Franklin said it better. And, SWEET KILLARNEY is a favorite of mine.

UPDATE: After deeper thought, my remarks about truth may be too harsh. For that I apologize. In my first paragraph I attempt to provide a baseline description of my pallet. Clearly, I am not a fan of aromatic tobacco. What makes SWEET KILLARNEY special to me is that it is not overpowering. It is not candy and does not punch you with perfume. However, It can make the English lover miss the taste of tobacco. So, SWEET KILLARNEY is a pleasant treat in my rotation.

As for the bite reported by others, it's a mystery to me. Some filter pipes will cause bite and also make the chemical or soapy taste more evident in aromatics.

A SUGGESTION: Years ago I learned a trick that can sometimes prevent bite, chemical taste, or wet gurgle: Remove the filter (if any). Line the bottom of the pipe with small amount (½ pinch) of a very dry Bright Virginia, thick ribbon cut. Top and smoke your desired tobacco but dump the ash before burning into the Bright Virginia. Reload over the Bright Virginia until it becomes unpleasant. This trick helps me smoke those failed samples we all collect. YMMV…

POSITION: 20+ year smoker. I normally like Full English, Virginia, Latakia, some uncased cav blends. I smoke 3–6 pipes a day. No tobacco sales.

This is a ribbon version of the emasculated University Flake. This wretched stuff might be good for single celled organisms which honestly don't know any better. Grin. Seriously, this is some bad smelling, horrible tasting, weak stuff.

Smoke in peace, brothers and sisters of the leaf.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

A delightful tin note masks what is otherwise a flat, one-dimensional tobacco. Good for potpourri and tongue-bite. Peterson makes some fine blends. Unfortunately this is not among them.

GMan58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GMan58 (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was quite disappointed in the Sweet Killarney. I don't really note much caramel and the sweet is barely detectable. I would rate it better on tobacco notes but find that it bites even with slow puffing on my Petersen plip. Perhaps if I try another pipe it will get better.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Having smoked several of the Peterson's Range before I was not expecting much from this blend. I find Petersons rather run-of-the mill and as others have said on this site overly strong on the Nicotine to make a really enjoyable smoke. I was however pleasantly surprised that this blend bucked the trend.

The tin note when opened is caramel and soft fruit with an apricot background. The mixed blend fills well and stays well lit even with a very slow draw which in my opinion is extremely important. The taste is soft and creamy with just a hint of fruit with the Virginias coming through stronger but not overwhelmingly at the end for a clean finish. No tongue bite at all even when in a hotter pipe after several smokes and the taste is consistent throughout the whole bowl. The room-note is soft and creamy too with a subtle smack of apricots or mandarins; I cannot be certain which fits better. It burns quite clean with a medium light ash and fairly little waste. Quite simply an excellent all day blend the cool burning burly well complimented by the Virginia flake and just the right amount of Cavendish to get the casing taste without the usual gurgling tongue biting side effects! I was very impressed by this tobacco and it will become a regular smoke for me.

dottledude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dottledude (3)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wholeheartedly agree with review below and others- does not deliver the promise of fragrance in the tin! I would differ on one small point however- I do find the Peterson tobaccos are generally higher than average in vitamin N, this blend not being an exception. Very little Black Cav note- you can maybe see some in blend but I can't really taste it. This one is "just alright" nothing special despite the cool name.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

Many smokers are disappointed with the 'bland' taste of Sweet Killarney, and it's true that the tin aroma is intensive, while the smoke is comparably 'empty'. A very hot smoker, so you better accompany it with something to drink - a milk tea, coffee with cream or a hot chocolate would fit best, or maybe an iced Bailey's or a vanilla milk shake, IMO. Not too much nicotine, so a good morning smoke (as I have it right now, without Bailey's but a cup of cappuccino) without many highs and lows. Selected leafs are of very good quality, the rather dry ribbons I got burn down evenly. Not that many of the mentioned "hand-rubbed VA flakes". Room aroma is more than pleasant - sweet, light, very slight bitter touch (Burley's?). It is maybe worth to mention that the flavouring is probably meant to be like this: giving a little touch and allowing the underlying tobaccos to develop their natural taste. Sweet Killarney is not as sauced as "Connoisseurs Choice" or "Sunset Breeze", it rather competes with "W.O. Larsen No.80" or "Mac Baren's Original Choice" in terms of casing intensity. I would call it a light aromatic, not as Danish as Danske Club or the Truffles, and by far not as sloppily blended as Borkum Riff. It strongly depends on your oral chemistry, I noticed. Give it a chance in different pipes, different times a day. Not Peterson's best (maybe their worst?) but it still gets 3 of 5 stars. Update 2014-01-28 Yeah, this stuff bites. I recently discovered that it tries to emulate some Irish Cream like Bailey's.

Carbon cake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carbon cake (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I have seen this in my local shop but never got around to buying it until today. I got into my car and Broke the seal and was pleased with the nice sweet smell. When I got home I packed a bowl and lit it up and again was pleased with the smell and with the taste. It lights up very easily and stays lit. It has a creamy taste and a fruity taste to it . Also has nice nic levels from the flake that is mixed in to it. I did not get bite from smoking this tobacco but it did make my mouth tingle a bit but I think it was from the nicotine. I recommend this tobacco to anyone that likes aros. This is my new favorite tobacco along with dunhill night cap.

vincenzo peruggia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vincenzo peruggia (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is my least favorite offering from the peterson line.I really tried to like this one too . I loved the aroma; and the taste was good until I got the scorch tounge! I only smoke aromatics sparingly so I might not be the best judge! However Vincenzo cannot reccomend this blend!Those still curious please smoke out of a knockabout briar or corncob to make sure this is your type of blend!

Lukasaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lukasaurus (9)

My first Peterson blend, a gift to my father which I've ended up sharing. First Impressions were very good, the seal was broken to reveal a lovely sweet aroma with a hint of caramel as promised. Lights easily when dried slightly and burns fairly evenly, although if anything a touch on the fast side. The smoke is slightly different to what an initial sniff would have you believe, with a lot of the caramel unfortunately lost in transit. The room note is fairly pleasant, akin to many other sweet aromatics without any dominant flavoring. The tongue burn which seems to bother many other reviewers is avoidable if the tobacco is smoked gently and slowly. Overall a nice tobacco and an enjoyable introduction the Petersons' range of tobaccos. It has certainly sparked a curiosity in me which will no doubt lead to a deeper dabble into the ptersons range. Reccomended for lovers of sweet aromatics such as Mac Baron Cube.

Bombay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bombay (6)

My first backy: I was in Ireland, at the cliffs of Moher. I digress...My version is that after a pint too many of Bulmer's, I, a non-smoker, decided I was tired of the stale, pungent smell of my mates' cigarettes and decide to smoke a pipe out of spite (and a slight whim of eccenterictity). I've never gone back. I cruised around Galway sporting my Peterson. I was an instant hit. The aroma (and new look) was the perfect chick-magnet. I actualy had a bowl on the train on my way to Scotland (you could actually do that, back in the day). Not a single complaint, only compliments- most importantly so from the womenfolk. Of course, I considered the brutal bite as a sacrifice, but as I improved in my skills (keep in mind the Peterson pipe was also being broken in), as saw my selection for a beginner's brand was well-placed. It was like lighting up a Snicker's bar: sweet with caramel.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)

Purchased twice (about 2 years apart and that was quite a few years ago). I have two sets of written notes on this because the first time i smoked it, i was in a different enviroment entirely to the second where i was sober and working;this i feel explains why i may of overlooked a factor the 1st time because i was a bit of a pipe novice,drunk in the pub,and drinking drinks with ice floating in it..

Initially purchased with the rest of the complete peterson range of tobacco to try out(a tin of each trial,which i have done since, as well as regular specific purchases)..

Being initially enamoured with pipe smoking and having made my first purchase beyond over the counter bad boys like 'gold block' and 'st bruno' ready rubbed,,;i was far too forgiving of bad mannered tobacco,and i would overlook all too easily the bad aspects because i thought it was just my own amateurism,or i assumed this was a pipeing standard.

Anyway;i will just reproduce my first impressions which i jotted on the peterson product brochure which came with my first peterson pipe purchase..

"Mental scene;summer on the green Season:spring summer. Compliments well with alco-pop drinks because it doesn't clash. Complimentary snack:strawberries and cream. Room note of sweets-sociable aroma that draws people to you. "can i have a go of your pipe" etc Its supposed to be caramel-but oppinions from have a go pedestrians(friends)seem to say its 'fruity berry'. Ladies like it and will talk to you-the smell defies their prejudice of pipe smokers. Medium confection juicy tutti fruiti carp boilies(fishing bait),strawberry&cream sweets,raspberry ripple icecream,hot burner... Sweet. Hot tongue biter!,leave to dry and tamper well-smokes to white unchanged shape ash. Syntheticish topping-not much underneath to report on-its bacca." ------------------------------------------------------------- My second later notes in biro are far less appreciative.

"Sickly sour chemical topped tongue biter-an absolute uncompromising whore. Seeks every opportunity to bite-what does this?;-is it the topping or the tobacco? Possibly a nice tobacco underneath-the flake leaves a nutty cigarish aftertaste,and thats about all after your taste buds have been scortched beyond use. Imagine those sickly acidic sherbert coated sweets that give you a sore throat,watery eyes and rotten teeth;-the topping on this is a sad taint to what might be nice tobacco underneath..?? Pipe used:Peterson 305 system medium calabash.

Method of smoking was loading 3/4 into bowl,and jamming two cigarette rollup filters into the moisture trap chamber and then pushing the stem on;this soaks up some of the juice. Tamper it unti it cannot be tamped futher(to keep heat down),,this is the only way to keep it cool enough to smoke. The walls on the pipe are thin and touching it is like touching a hot tea pot. The virtue is that the pipe is light enough to hold in my mouth hands free. Do not puff but instead breath like a goldfish---in this method it will melt in the mouth gently without biting beyond comfort. Fact is that this isn't a relaxing smoke for pensive relaxation because it controls you intstead of the otherway round. It pins you to the wall and says "you can smoke me this way or not at all-alight?!" --------------------------------------------------------------- After some more trials i had had enough of this unfriendly bastard and the rest of my notes are describing its properties as a chewing tobacco! What i did while my machine was running on the night shift, i decided what to do with this; at my work bench i separated the leaf into piles of its separate ingredients to see if i could coax any worthy bowl out of it and find the offending member.

My review is "killarney separated";i can't be bothered to go into detail because its pointless,,;the yellow leaf was nice like corflakes and the flake was like branflakes and simular to university flake. I ended up spilling it all on the floor where i kicked it under the duct board with a load of absorbent saw dust..

This was complete shit and i will never ever purchase it again. Take a cherry flavoured 'mr-freeze' ice pop,put it in the microwave until scolding and drink it;that is the only way i can describe this.Perhaps smoke it while sucking an ice cube.

One star.

Prior Wrath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prior Wrath (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Sweet Killarney stings like a hornet during the first half of a bowl no matter how slow you smolder it. During the last half it gets much easier and more tasty. The flavor is so fantastic that I'll gladly suffer a bit of a bite for it. Definitely not a weed for everyone, especially if you have an issue with tonguebites. I love it! Extra point for a superior wife rating. I got laid just for the room note.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (12)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm keen on most Peterson blends. However, this is probably the rotten apple in the barrel. It's just so...bland. Whilst I have persevered with this tin ( which is a bad sign for me), perseverance has led to disappointment. The aroma is the one strength but this tobacco burns too quickly, and I draw gently on my church warden it still can turn too hot. This is one of the three I wouldn't recommend. The other two are Irish Oak and Sherlock Holmes.

nismo270r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nismo270r (2)

This is one of the first tins I purchased when I started smoking. The tin has been open and aging roughly 5 months or so and is definitely still very moist in the tin. After sitting out to dry for about 30 minutes it stayed lit with minimal relights. Even after the aging, letting it sit out, and smoking slowly, it still seemed to burn pretty wet. The flavor wasn't bad for the first half of the bowl, but seemed to get a bit "chemical" tasting after that. The tin aroma is great, but not one I would purchase again.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (45)

I've seen a lot of bad reviews of this blend and I'm very curious as to why. The tin that I bought of this blend was quite wonderful. I loved the creamy caramel flavor. It's almost as flavorful to smoke for me as it smells in the tin. It burns pretty evenly and not nearly as quickly as the Sherlock Holmes blend also by Peterson. Anywhere I've smoked it Sweet Killarney as been well received, even by non-smokers. Personally I would absoultely reccommend this blend, especially to a first time or new smoker since it was the first tin I purchased very early in my smoking and didn't give me any tongue bite or problems with heat. I guess to each his own.

swnp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
swnp (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Hmm... what can I say that hasn't been said already? I smoked this in my calabash because I read the reviews before I smoked it, but after I bought it. I didn't get any tongue bite, but I let it dry in a napkin for a day, and again, smoked in my calabash which makes everything milder. I can still notice that if I was too aggressive, it would bite back.

Use at your own risk.

kylesdad77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylesdad77 (4)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I wish I would have read the review on this tobacco before I purchased it!! I figured since it was made by Peterson that it would be good. I was wrong.

It's very damp...let it dry for 24 hours and it didn't help. Barely stays lit.

The only thing I enjoyed was the smell when I opened the tin. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)

This is fantastic stuff! It has a delicate taste of danish pastry and I find myself craving it. It is wonderful with coffee as a first pipe of the day. I feel compelled to warn anyone who smokes OTC baccy to avoid this blend. If they ever try this they can never go back to the cheap drug store muck. Highly recommended.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Do not waste your money on this! I purchased a tin of this on my birthday last year (that was, alas, before I had discovered this website). Had I known of tobaccoreviews.com, I NEVER would have tried it.

How would I describe this blend? As bland, bland, bland! It produced smoke, but no flavor. I smoked four or five bowls of this, all in different pipes, and the result was always the same - disappointing. I then decided to throw in some black cavendish to see if that might bring out some flavor. The result? I tasted the black cavendish and nothing else. If I was stranded on a desert island and had nothing but this to smoke, I would give up pipe smoking. Peterson makes great pipes and has some fantastic blends, but this is not one of them.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)

I found this blend to be similar to Blue Note & Solani 131 Red Label in tin aroma & similar in taste, strength, etc., but not a total clone. This one isn't too bitey but one must take care to sip while indulging. Not overly searing to the palate for an aromatic & does provide a slightly sweet flavor.

It leaves no goopy dottle in the bowl but it will leave a ghost in there for the next couple of rounds. I don't smoke many aromatics these days & this review is based only on the merits of an aromatic blend. It didn't propel me into purchasing another tin. Could use a bit of "refinement." Therefore, IMHO, Peterson's Sweet Killarney blend merits two stars.

Grampa's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grampa's Pipe (12)

Tinned tongue bite. Nothing more. It's hard to believe that any reputable pipe maker would allow their name to be put on a tin of this garbage. Note to self: Don't buy anything that says, "Peterson" on it.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not sure if this post should count as a review, I remember not being able to finish a whole bowl of this.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet Kilarney is shit............... Save your money.

This shit tasted like a hot chemical factory, ignore what anyone else says, as they are probably from Peterson's and are promoting this debacle.

It is shit. Smokes like shit and is shit.

This is a total abortion of a blend from Peterson's, in fact, why are they even still selling this stuff.

Hot, rank, artificial, and a total waste of time. Let alone money!!

C R A P ! ! ! ! !

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

If you have a big honking sweet tooth, look no further. Sweet Killarney is sweet indeed. A fragrant mix of Burley and Virginia with just a pinch of our good, sugary, friend Black Cavendish, this blend is candy to say the least. When opening the tin, I found the smell to be very pleasant. Sweet, sweet caramel and brown sugar comes to mind, along with a dark chocolate-like smell. It packs very well, but it is wet right out of the tin, so dry it first. While puffing away I remember riding bikes to the corner candy store when I was a kid. This blend smells great out of the tin and even better when burning. The taste is simply sweet and creamy. Nothing too complicated, just a nice, pleasant dessert smoke. Good for after dinner or on those lazy Saturday afternoons when you want to just be with yourself and collect your thoughts. This won't distract you from them with complexity. A word of caution, this blend smokes hot, so draw slowly and patiently. Great for building cake and burns to a uniform white ash. If you want a little old fashioned tasting candy but don't feel like racking up a bill at the dentist, give this a puff. Your sweet tooth will be satisfied fully, and won't need a filling later.

arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arbor (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not very satisfying. I like the way it smells in the tin but the taste of it is bland.

Aomalley27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aomalley27 (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I was fortunate enough to get this tin for free. However, it was quite disappointing. My first bowl of this stuff was extremely difficult to keep lit, and when it was lit, it just burned a scalding hot mess. The flavoring you anticipate with both the open tin aroma, and smoke essence, doesn't translate to the actual flavor of the tobacco. While the room note is pleasing, I smoke for MY enjoyment, not to my detriment for the pleasure of others. Would NOT purchase this tin, and probably won't finish the one I have.

ike223 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ike223 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is not my first dance with smoking a pipe, but it is my first at smoking and english blend. Sweet Killarney in my opinion is a great smoke! My wife was with me when I opened the tin and she loved the smell of the tobacco and loved it even more when I was smoking it. Of course this all came about when I picked up a pipe at a flea markent and found out it was one of Petersons pipes stamped reject, which has not been stamped that way in over twenty years they told me via and email after enquiring. It is to say it burns cool and sweet with very little bite and the aroma fills the room to satisfaction of the booth of us. I very much recommend this tobacco and plan to enjoy it from now on!

JDev84 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JDev84 (7)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This one is a company-pleaser, but my taste buds have long outgrown flavored cavendish, sadly. not unlike Erinmore Mixture, the virginias have a fruity taste, almost soapy, but the caramel topping compliments it nicely. Id say its a nice after dinner smoke, but not enought nicotine for my after dinner tastes. the tobacco itself is complex, but the casing overwhelms it. burns fairly hot, but is moist and springy and lights easily, like most peterson virginias. nice flavor, reminiscent of autumn leaves. Im not really into aromatics, but if you are looking to get into english blends after starting there, this would be a good place to go. tasty, but some great tobacco flavor comes through. not bad, just not my usual taste.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

If you've done something wrong and you want to punish yourself while pleasing the others try this blend. Great smell around, awful, dreadful on your tongue and palate, burns like hell and bites like it.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First I smoked this right after opening the tin, tasteless hot vapor, boiling in my pipe.

But after letting it sit and dry out for some time,it surprised me, caramel flavor is coming through with a little taste of tobacco, not my cup of tea but not that crap either, it's a typical aromatic,

not something fancy but it's better than lots of other aromatics.

JasonNYC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonNYC (7)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I wanted to like this tobacco. I really did.

It has a great caramel note in the tin which does carry through to the room note.

But as others have commented, it does burn hot and with trouble.

Really only for a beginner, IMHO.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A bit stronger than Sunset breeze, but not much.

The tin aroma stimulates your appetite. Big time caramel!

For the beginner smoker only.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

got this in trade, I came up short on this deal, This stuff is pure crap in a can

Smoke this and you'd think Paladin is an upgrade!

don't waste your money on this nasty shit.

Smokingmiami Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokingmiami (6)
Very Mild Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

When you open the Tin the aroma makes you salivate. So I pack my bowl and anticipate a great smoke. It is the worst tobacco I have smoked. Burns way to hot and it really has nothing that makes you want even try to finish the bowl.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Fornicate me!!!!!!

The single worst tobacco since modern day 'Clan' that I've ever tasted.

It was like smoking 'white hot' bubble blow mixture that the kids play with in the back garden during a birthday party.

Worst of the Peterson range by a country mile. Which is a shame as some of their aro's are standouts. Why on earth do they still process this abortion of a blend is way beyond me.

After popping the vacuum sealed tin, and smoking just one bowlfull, I promptly emptied the rest of the tins contents over the flower borders in my garden. A perfect way I think to stop cats shitting on the Fucias... Total toxic waste in a tin. Don't waste your time or money.

Blerk!!!!!

De Luxe blend, Connisours Choice, or Sunset Breeze are the aromatic standout's that Peterson produce.

This Sweet Kilarney garbage needs to be dropped from their range.....now.

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Never has a tobacco offered so much and delivered so little. There is not much I can add to what other reviewers have said here save to add my criticism. The tobacco smells wonderful when you pop the tin and makes you want to fill a bowl as soon as possible. However, once lit you are given a bitter tasting, hot smoke which bites from the first puff. I rarely suffer from tongue bite but I had to stop smoking this after about 5 minutes, although I tried to persevere it was just really unpleasant. As for that aroma, where did it go?! Avoid.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I got some of this for free with my Peterson Killarney (XL02). It smells really great but lacks a little in flavor. Don't get me wrong. It's not that bad. Just a little artificial, like Splenda. A mildly sweet, pleasant-to-smoke pipe tobacco. There are better aromatics out there, but if you get it for free. Don't throw it out.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin I thought I was in for an olfactory treat because this blend smells great; I couldn't have been more wrong.

It's a bland blend.

Don't smoke it. Instead use as potpourri, it'll make your house smell nice.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

Great tin aroma. That's where it stops. Little hot. Little uneventful. Not a lot to offer to the match. Not one of Peterson's best offerings. Two stars because it's not horrid. IMHO

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Typical Peterson's blend. On opening the tin a nice (but unidentifiable) aroma will greet you.

That aroma doesn't hang around for long and after lighting I can detect no aroma whatsoever and can taste absoultely nothing. It doesn't burn particularly well, either. Needs constant relighting.

Thought it needed a little drying out as it was rather moist, but that didn't make any difference.

Half a tin later I still haven't changed my mind. Won't buy Sweet Tastlessness again in a hurry.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Sweet Killarny was recommended to me by a tobacconist I've purchased most of my pipes from. I opened the tin and it smelled wonderful. The tobacco was not too moist and not too dry, but seemed just right. I packed the bowl of a fairly large Wiley pipe and lit the top. After going for the full lite up, I was surprised to find the flavor lacking. I thought it might get better after it burned down and was maybe tamped again, but it did not.

About half way down the bowl, I started getting ash through the bit and the bottom of the bowl was gurgling with moisture. I ran a pipe cleaner through the stem with going too far into the bowl, tamped and relit. More ash. Yuck!

I thought it may be too large of a pipe, so went to a smaller Neerup. Nope, still had the same experience. The flavor was weak and combined with the ashy experience, I won't buy this again.

pgzzz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgzzz (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is one that i would recommend. When you open the tin the aroma is simply delicious. It is good enough to eat consisting of a strong caramel and toffee araoma. I am on my second tin of this and it has not disappointed me. The smoke is cool when smoked in a churchwarden pipe (my favourite) and i have not experienced any tongue bite. Nice room note and I have occasionally blended it with other tobaccos mostly black cherry and it burns evenly without the need for relighting. If you light aromatics then this is one for you.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (26)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

sadly not the best from Peterson's,i had one 50g tin and after that i never bothered to buy anymore,rather limp and uninteresting,it may well suit other pipe smokers but not me.

Capt. Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Cavendish (21)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Strong

This one scared me. I was new to the game and loaded my nicest pipe with Sweet Killarney--not a mistake I will make twice mind you. I thought this mixture permenantly ruined my best pipe. The syrups were so thick that it lined the inside of the bowl with an odor that lasted about six weeks. Everytime I smoked the pipe with another tobacco, I found myself haunted by the flavors of Sweet Killarney. I have to say, I didn't taste any cream caramel. To me, it was like smoking suntan lotion--all coconutty. With none of the pleasure of hanging out beside the pool. Maybe I'm not the best person to judge--I don't know much about Virginias and probably couldn't even find Virginia on a map, but I do know that this blend was not my cup of chowder.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This was my first Peterson blend, and boy, was it an education. This tobacco will bite, hard. I had the sores on my tounge to prove it. This blend needs to be babied, and sipped. Peterson blends, I have found, are delecate and tasteful (when treated properly). Sweet Kilarney is no exception. Treat this blend like you would treat your love, kindly and gentally, and it will repay you in full.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm not certain what passing fancy motivated me to pick up a tin of Sweet Killarney a few months back, but here it is nonetheless.

In the tin, Sweet Killarney looks a mix of black and gold Cavendish with some brighter yellow Virginia leaf. The tin aromas are pretty much as advertised—a pleasant vanilla custard nose with caramelized accents. My notes tell me that I found the first couple of bowls a little short and undefined as far as flavor goes and a little tongue nippy, too. Creme Caramel? Well…maybe. After all, the flavors of Creme Caramel are provided by little more than caramelized sugar and vanilla. The bowl I'm smoking right now is not especially nippy, but it is decidedly short on the intensity of flavor I expect from a good aromatic. And therein lies the problem with this stuff: there are far better similarly flavored aromatics available made from higher quality tobacco and displaying much better smoking characteristics.

To my mind, Sweet Killarney fits into the great bulky middle of the aromatic quality hierarchy. It doesn't approach the excellence of a handful of the genre but is also far from being genuinely unpleasant.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This blend didn't punish my palate like some of the others I've tried. I like the aroma from the tin and liked the topping that gives this blend a sweet taste. It stayed lit and burned fairly well right out of the tin. I'll be keeping this blend in my personal rotation. Try this if you're into aromatics and you might like it as well as I do. This is not my favorite, flavored aromatic, as P&W's No. 191 Honey Vanilla holds that position. Therefore, IMHO, SK merits three *s!

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This the second Peterson aromatic I've tried and i didn't enjoy it as much as Golden Blend, thye first. This blend is a vanilla flavored aromatic that smells good enough to eat out of the tin. When smoked, the "caramel" flavor translates into a slight, sweet taste of vanilla that stays throughout the bowl. The underlying tobaccos are nice and smooth virginias and burley.

It's a nice enjoyable smoke but I generally prefer more strenght and flavor. I didn't have any problems with tongue bite.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

I like some Peterson tobaccos very well. This is one that was just "ok" to me, the tin aroma is wonderful, the room note is light but pleasant...it bit me pretty badly, but then I'm still a fairly new pipe smoker. I will finish the tin, but will likely let my next bowl dry a little first.

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)

I bought it because of the name and my experience with Peterson tobaccos. Sweet aroma from the tin and throughout the room.

I don't know, I wanted to love this stuff, but nothing worked. Somehow the wonderful caramel aroma from the tin never made it through the pipe. It had a decent tobacco flavor, but I was looking for more of the aroma from the tin to get to me.

The usual dampness I get from Peterson's. I aired it and tried it, aired it till it burned warm and still could not get a taste I liked.

I won't drop it to one star because it's quality tobacco and I'm sure I can mix it with...

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The third Peterson I've tried. The tin promises caramel flavor and so does the unlighted tobacco. The tin aroma is very pleasant and you can sense the caramel in it. You light it up and yes, the caramel is still there but it is just a topping, just to make the tobacco more enjoyable. Even tough it's an aromatic, it burns dry and doesn't heat the pipe nor burn the tongue. The room note is fantastic, you don't want to loose it. Burns quite long and leaves just some dry ash.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I had no problems with this; no bite, no bitterness, no burning or goop issues.

But, it isn't a full orchestra of flavor, just a trio, with some sweetness and gentle flavors.

I'll finish it and not suffer doing so, but I've bought my only tin.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Update- 01/13/2009

I have solved the problem of lackness of darker leaf by incorporating some black CA into the mixture. It gives it a bit more complexity and removes the possibility of tongue bite.

SK is an interesting aromatic with the addition of BC; if smoked on its own, it quickly becomes bland.

I will rebuy occasionnally. For those who prefer milder tobaccos, this is a good entry point.

2 1/2 stars

Original review - 01/25/2008

With SK, Peterson managed to create a medium cased aromatic which allows both tobacco and casing tastes to reveal themselves in a harmonious fashion throughout the smoke. I can taste the tobacco and casing simultaneously. Outstanding!

The tin aroma is of caramel, but not overpowering. The tobacco is a long cut combination of golden, light brown and just a bit of black cavendish (not enough, sadly to my taste...),and partially broken flakes are quite present, adding some substance to the loose cut.

Filling is easy - I like to reduce the length of the leaf- and lighting up also is. As much as I cherish latakia, dark matured VAs, orientals and perique, this mixture is surprisingly delicious and constitute a refreshing change of pace...

The discreet caramel taste combines perfectly with the natural tobacco taste and both last all the way down to a pile of little, dry gray ashes. Past mid-bowl, the tobacco taste will dominate.

The room aroma is very pleasant, ensuring nobody will be offended (but ask me if I care!).

You must be careful with the puffing though: due to the lack of dark leaf, it can esaily bite. An unsufficient load of tobacco shall also provoke biting.

This cool, refreshing and charming blend is better enjoyed in pleasant company around a glass of port and philosophical discussion.

Oouder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oouder (11)

Not as into aromatics as I was when I first reviewed this tobacco. Sooo.... I think it's a good aro. I don't smoke it much now and when I do I am dissapointed. If you leave this stuff to air out a LOT then there is some nice rubbed out VA there and it can be an ok smoke but if that is all that you are going to do then why not buy the real deal. I'd pass some off to an aro smoker with confidence and will keep it at *

Original Review.

I am new to the site so the first reviews from me will be from the blends that I keep around all the time and love. First thing is first. This is not an extremely over the top aromatic. This is topped with caramel and it is very apparent when first lighting the bowl. As with all aromatics you need to let this dry quite a bit. In doing so you will lose some of the strenght with the topping but as a straight virginia smoker primarily I am not interested in loads and loads of topping even on my "desert" smoke. Once you have let this dry a bit (I do this bowl by bowl because I do not smoke this every day and dont want the whole jar to dry out) it will smoke much cooler and lose all bite provided you don't smoke too fast. This blend is lovely to mix in with other blends when you want just a touch of sweetness as well. I will mix a touch of this in with almost anything but a virginia flake (which is perfection and therefore should not be messed with =)). recommended but remember to dry it and smoke it slow or you will get a wet smoke and a nice bite.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

its a mild blend with no intresting features other than te slight touch of maryland which i oftenly miss,,V/B are traditional,,not too sweet and gies a clear ash burns good,,i would try other blends bcz this one is less intresting

I am reviewing this blend based on my memory of 1 tin I v smoked 3 years ago.

The ?Sweet Killarney? doesn?t really mean that this is a sweetened tobacco, so please just make abstraction about the name, On clean palate (specially in the first morning pipe) you will notice clearly the cream caramel on the first half bowl, then it will disappear giving place to the tobacco taste, and its good tobacco, not very topped and not very sweet, just well balanced.

I will buy another tin to keep it around for now and then.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)

This is a reasonably complex aromatic blend. If you dry it out, there is little to no bite and it actually tastes like tobacco. If it was not for the price, I would keep more around, but for an imported tin this is a fine aromatic smoke.

Accompaniment: Corelli's Concerti Grossi.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

Every now and then I like to add an aromatic to my line-up as a change of pace from my usual rotation of Balkans/English and matured Virginias. And while most aromatics don't appeal to me, this one works, delivering real tobacco flavor without being overly sweet (despite the name) and with an aroma (at least for the smoker) that is rich with vanilla and caramel overtones.

Nothing objectionable here -- it's dry and flavorful -- but also nothing that will likely knock the socks off die-hard aromatic fans. Although the flavor does vary down the bowl, there's no great complexity to explore. Just an enjoyable smoke.

I'd especially recommend this one to smokers who enjoy MacBaren's Vanilla Creme or Dunhill's A21000, vanilla blends that share similarities with Sweet Killarney but which burn hotter and with a tendency to bite, at least for me.

UPDATE: For whatever reason -- maybe I'm just not an aromatic fan at all -- I ended up tosssing much of this tin after it sat around for months without being smoked. While initially pleasant, there just wasn't enough on offer here to keep me interested.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

A mix of tobaccos Virginia, Burley, Maryland and Black Cavendish with a flavor of crème caramel.

This tobacco fills easily the bowl, and usually offers dry and cool smoking. It is dry enough but the perfume of caramel which you discover basically after the 3-4 first puffs, burns your tongue enough.

If you like him after the first puff, then you will also like the rest. It has a very nice perfume in the room and finally I believe that it makes the people around, more happy than the smoker.

I envy the reviewer of this tobacco who goes with his wife to choose tobacco even if she doesn?t smoke. Happy ?..

Counselor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Counselor (10)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Good Virginia and Burley tobaccos cased with Bailey's Irish cream liqueur--that's how I figure this blend. And I like it. Everyone loves the aroma, and I can still discern the tobacco beneath the casing. It will burn a bit hot, so puff slowly. Two point seven five out of four stars, generally speaking, but a solid three stars for aromatic fanciers.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

This is one aromatic that I actually enjoy from Peterson. I still have not found a Peterson blend that knocks my socks off. Being Irish, that is depressing.

However, I really like the flavoring in this one and have purchased more.

ButchA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ButchA (4)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Hmmmm... I discovered Peterson "Sweet Kilarney" at my local tobacconist. So, I bought a tin to try out.

It is not a nice mellow Virginia cavandish smoke. It is not a nice vanilla cavandish smoke either. I don't know what it is...

I showed it to my wife and opened the tin to give her a whiff of it (AKA the wife test). My wife instantly went, "Ewwwwwww!!!!" I will admit, I too was taken by surprise by the strength of the packaged tobacco, but thought it was okay.

Smoking a bowl of it, was interesting. It packed well and lit well. A few puffs and I could swear I was smoking a Milky Way candy bar or some type of caramel candy bar. It was "interesting" to say the least for a first impression. Then, after a few more puffs, I don't know what happend, but this tobacco decided to bite, and bite BAD! Ouch... my tongue!!

I am not sure if I will smoke this tin again, or maybe try to use it as a blend. This tobacco is best described as a caramel candy bar with the bite of a rattlesnake! Be careful....

Harvey54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harvey54 (4)

Well, to start our I have been back to smoking a pipe for about a year now. I have come to enjoy Virginia's, VaPer's and some Dunhill and GL Pease, English blends. So this is a new avenue for a change of pace. So far I find it to be a bit moist out of the tin a few moments of drying seem to work better. The aroma has a very carmel like scent to it, and to date it has not bit, although I can see how it can get away from you and deliver a big hurt to your tongue. It is a pleasant smoke for a change up might try mixing it with something but not sure what yet. Looking forward to finishing the tin and possibly giving an update later on. As they say, "Smoke in Peace!"

221b Baker St. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221b Baker St. (11)

This is something different, never had anything like it. Everybody says they taste the caramel, I didn't it tasted more fruity to me. I must say I like it, not every day tho. I didn't get any bite out of it which is good. My recommendation is try it you either like it or not.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

EDIT: I am marking this down to two stars, it just bites too bad, but it is an interesting and mature candy tobacco, these days I can see this as a 'to mix with' only tobbacco, which would add a desert sweetness to your favorite flake or latakia, would keep the wife happy.

My first ever smoke, I don't puff on this one too much anymore, but I do like caramel, and find this does have some nice earthy undertones for a "candy" tobacco. I feel reviewers are a little hard on this one. People say peterson blends are bland, i would prefare to say 'modern' or popularistic. I like my aro's and my peterson's, I began with them and have returned to them after spending alot of money and effort sampling more 'serious' brands and blends over the past year.

A good desert baccy, with some nice peaty hints in the background, great room note, one for the ladies, yes very sweet but not too sweet, yes it does bite, but what doesn't these days. If you liked toffee instead of hardboils or jellies when you were a kid, you'll like this.

Most recently I mixed this with little Old Dublin (Latakia), sweet caramel with latakia, yes it still bites, but it goes really well together, I don't know if this breaks any cardinal rules, but it works for me.

Blueline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blueline (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is off the beaten path for me. I've spent the last little while going through a tin. While it can burn hot, Sweet Killarney is a mild smoke. It has a pleasing flavor, especially towards the half bowl and beyond.

As an aromatic, there is a medium sweet component to the blend. It is not at all overbearing. I cannot say it is like a caramel as described, and it is not saturated with an additive to make your nose hairs stand on end. Rather, this blend is simple and forthright. A smoke that is very easy to make friends with.

A medium level of Virginia with a burley base to let the smoke ride ... the cavendish is understated and together, they carry the dark, sweet taste. For a mild aromatic this could be a very welcome choice. Virgninia or Virginia/Perique lovers would only be interested for a few bowls perhaps. But for the aromatic smoker, Sweet Killarney may just hit the spot.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma is wonderful, no doubt. I got awfully excited when I smelled it; I'm not all that much of an aromatic smoker, but it smelled almost edible.

Smoking was another story. I really had to fight to keep this stuff from getting too hot, and my tongue is still sore from the bite. I never could get it cool enough to actually get the complex flavors out of it; it generally either was harsh, or out. Different packing methods didn't seem to change it much; it just was a harsher smoke than I cared for.

The room note wasn't at all what I expected. I at least hoped for some of the casing to come out in the room, but no dice. It ended up having a strong, complex odor that actually became kind of cigar-like after a little while.

I was able to finish off the tin without tossing it, but I doubt I'll be buying it again. Others might have better luck; my tongue wasn't impressed.

Insocal97 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Insocal97 (3)

This is a very nice aromatic tobacco with a nice, mild caramel aroma. The smoke is sweet, smooth, and "creamy." For those who enjoy mild aromatics as I do this is a nice choice.

Underneath that mild and pleasant flavoring is a very sophisticated blend, I would think enough to please even the very experienced.

Packs nicely and lights readily, just an all around pleasant and smooth smoke.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet Killarney - Raisins a blaze! I love the various cuts in this mixture, made it rather interesting but the tastes are a little too much for me, smelt like melting raisins. No doubt a quality weed just not for me. I will smoke up what I have and am thankful, as it was a gift just nothing I see myself purchasing anytime soon.

ollievon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ollievon (8)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Sweet Killarney (now Old Killarney) was my first Petersons blend and my first real introduction to a fun aromatic blend.

The first thing one will note is that the tobacco is roughly cut and mixed with finer cuts, this can make packing a smaller bowl a bit of a challenge. I found that tearing some of the larger pieces made more sense rather than trying to pack them.

The tobacco make take several lightings to get going, I have always found that this tobacco goes out quickly, yet needs to be smoked slowly. This can be a challenge to a newer smoker like myself.

Smoking this tobacco slowly is key. My first pipe was a Dr.Grabow and it destroyed my tongue, I upgraded to a Kirten and have not had any problems since. This tobacco can burn very hot if you draw too quickly and take away the subtle hints of flavor that this tobacco was designed to give.

Always a crowd pleaser for sure. Any wife will want you to make it a regular smoke around her.

odysseyjak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
odysseyjak (2)

For those of us out there that are looking for a good quality tobacco but don't like the english blends, the Peterson line is just what you are looking for.

This tobacco is extremely pleasent in the tin and the room note is great. I only smoke Peterson pipes and tobaccos and get the same results and responses all the time -- 'That's a great pipe' and 'That smells terrific!'

I have tried other pipes and tobaccos but keep coming back to Peterson. I highly recommend this tobacco if you are looking for a smooth smoke that smells and tastes great -- look no further.

+OD

ZionThePissed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZionThePissed (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is an excellent blend for those who know what they want, but are looking for something a little different as well. The tobacco is kept at ideal moisture, and comes out of the tin smelling wonderfully. Although no two smokers are alike, I was shocked to find that some of you didn't like it so much as I did. However certain variables can affect how enjoyable a certain blend can be, as well as the pipe you are smoking the blend in. For this blend I used the extravagantly shaped Peterson 303 standard system pipe I just recently purchased. It smoked dry and cool to the bottom, with a fine gray ash with white coloured flecks. The caramel is not overpowering, and the base tobacco blends very well with the room note to create a very pleasurable smoking experience.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Occasionally I get into a nostalgic mood for an aromatic tobacco blend. I go to the local tobacco shop to pick up something along those lines.

Then I smoke it and rediscover why I have to remember what aromatics are like. If I really liked aromatics, I'd be smoking them regularly and wouldn't need reminding (Barbary Coast being an exceptional, uncased and "topped" blend I regularly enjoy).

This has good quality leaf and preparation. It smells good in the tin. Very heavily cased, but not as nauseating as most blends with modern Cavendish components.

The Lakeland Flake chunks made this interesting, though I usually reject Lakeland treatments (See my Gawith & Hogarth reviews). Here, it is just a hint.

Tin moisture is just right for me, meaning on the drier side and not gooey, wet or finger-fouling. It burned fairly dry, too.

If you do not mind minimal flavor, this can be puffed without much toll on the tongue. I had to harm myself for substantial flavor. There is some natural tobacco taste mixed up in the mild flavor.

The advertised "cream caramel" flavoring requires that I be told what it is, since, as with cherry, vanilla, chocolate, coffee cake, peach pudding and passion fruit Mai Tai, flavorings never seem to register on my taste buds once fire is applied.

For me, maple, licorice and butterscotch survive the inferno as do whatever the heck "Snowflake" and "Skilling" from the Tinderbox are flavored with. Rum goes AWOL, while whiskey/Scotch/Bourbon survive as but ghosts.

Yes, others around me really enjoyed the aroma from this high-end aromatic.

raz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raz (16)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

New find for me. A nice, sweet smelling tobacco.

A bit wet in the tin, so drying out a bit might be in order.

Smokes wonderfully, though. Good tobacco base, on top of which there's a nice, mouth-filling sweet aroma. This is nice, and compared to some other aromatics, while burning a bit hot, isn't much of tongue-scorcher. Smoked at a leisurely pace this is an excellent smoke. Additionally, this one stays nice 'til the end, not going stale in the last 1/4 bowl like some aromatics do.

Charring light fine. First lighting okay. It might be in order to pay attention when packing as this one apparently goes out a bit easier than most. Otherwise, burns well. Good ash.

Room note got very good remarks from the crowd. Vanilla is what most people instantly recognize. The Caramel-aspect is in my view a lot less pronounced than commented by some reviewers. (Smokewise and otherwise).

Yes, this one's a good tobacco, and will go into the rotation, no doubt there.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This is not a bad smoke, but it lacks the room note as well as the taste to become a more then occasional smoke. It may be better as a mixer then straight out the tin. MZMN

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A wonderful tin aroma, but like the other Peterson aromatics I?ve tried it will bite you at even the slightest provocation. I only smoke aromatics about ten percent of the time, and when I do I prefer one that doesn?t require such caution. Still, if you love aromatics you should try Peterson?s offerings, and I would rank this second in their lineup, just behind Sunset Breeze.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I liked this tobacco. It has a sweet taste, but not so much as to make you think you have food in your mouth. Light enough not to get on your nerves. The smell is VERY nice! Very good room note. I received a few compliments from non-smokers and smokers alike. I was surprised to find that this one didn't bite like others I have tried. This is one I imagine I will rotate for a long time. I do imagine that if you smoked it everyday, it would get a little boring. Nice after a meal in the evening.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I wanted to like Sweet Killarney. I really did. But I just don't like it as well as I had hoped I would.

The tin aroma is very pleasant. While smoking it, I kept feeling like I was missing something. The topping bit the heck out of me when I puffed it a bit faster looking for whatever was missing.

There's not quite enough here. Nothing seems to get my attention with SK. Tobacco taste, or topping taste - neither are there in enough quantity to make this a favorite.

But I have to give credit - it has a great room note. I have gotten compliments on it. So I guess this is one of those that is better for everyone other than the smoker.

I'll finish the tin, and maybe some day I'll try it again. But there's no rush on either.

CoronaDoug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoronaDoug (7)

Sweet cream carmel! This is a very mild sweet blend. It has a mild blend of tobacco's and a hint of the sweet cream carmel flavor. Leaves a sweet taste in the mouth long after the smoke. The aroma is a weak pleasent one. I would try this one if you like the mild sweet tobaccos without a fruity flavor.

brandon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brandon (1)
Mild Strong Medium Very Strong

Caramel, that is what was promised and that is what you get, and lots of it. Tin aroma, room note, taste, aftertaste, it's all caramel. Underneath the topping is a nice sundae of virginia and cavendishes to make this quite possibly my favourite aromatic. I've gone thru four tins of this tobacco in the last 2 months and every tin was just as good as the previous. This is a definately one of those aromatics that gets noticed, I'll smoke a bowlful in my car on the way to work and the ladies in the office flock to me to smell my jacket. It also has a very fine leaf quality to it which provides a nice tobacco flavour to the smoker. Not too much nicotine, and has only bitten me a few times. I'd definately reccomend this tobacco to someone looking for a distinctive smelling/tasting aromatic blend.

PipeSmoker45ACP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmoker45ACP (11)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

When I'm in the mood to put a candie bar in my pipe this is the blend I choose. It smells awsome in the tin and looks pretty too. It won't bite and really tastes like warm creamy caramel. Although it smells and tastes like a candie bar, it also has a good tobacco taste too underneath all that flavour. A good choice for a aromatic smoke. One of my favorites.

Brotherblue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brotherblue (12)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

I've been looking for a nice aromatic, and being part Irish, this was my first choice. This was too much, though. Upon opening the tin, I get the feeling someone poured caramel all over the tobacco. That's close to what happened. Now this relates to a nice caramely room aroma for others. But for the smokers, with so much casing, this amounts to tongue bite. Beyond the caramel and the bite, the flavor is nondescript, but again, with so much sugary stuff burning, your tongue is going to get scorched.

People who live with caramelophiles will be right pleased with this, but I'd be careful sharing this with most pipe smokers. The effect on the smoker isn't worth it. Too bad, I really wanted this to work out.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Very Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

I received a tin of this from my spouse's mother, not because she hates the unflavored tabac I usually puff, but because she was unsure what to purchase for me. After smoking the entire tin, I can only say:great thought but I'll pick my own leaf. Casing is aggresive to say the least and the burley shows up to score your tongue whenever you attempt to pull hard enough to taste anything remotely like tobacco, which may or may not be lurking in this putrid concoction. If I ever have an inclination for a sweet smoke I'll reach for Golden Diced or Vanilla Cream, but not this abbhorent offering.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I typically only smoke this around the general public due to the pleasant room aroma. It is definitely caramel, caramel, caramel!!! It, however has quality leaf underneath the casing that can satify on occassion. I have never found it to be consistent regardless of the pipe used or tin vintage. Sometimes the casing is overwhelming and at othertimes the leaf sings through. One warning though, you have to smoke it slowly or otherwise you will get tongue-bite. This one I only recommend for something different or a St. Patrick's Day celebration

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (37)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is indeed and unusal one. A fan of aromatics, this one left me confused. I am quite fond of Old Dublin as well as most of the Mac Baren line. Knowing what to expect from Peterson, I did not expect a candied taste like I get from some of the really cheap dime-store brands that taste like burning tires off a cherry truck.

That being said, the tin aroma of this blend almost knocked me over and I was close to tossing the the lot untried. Being Peterson however, I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did! After the first bowl I wasn't about to review it until I had finished the entire tin.

This one is an aquired taste, I believe. Enjoyable and considering the tin aroma, not overly sweet, this one surprises with its lovely taste and aroma. This is recommended as a good after-dinner smoke. Although for me it takes a backseat to some other more subtly topped blends.

Craven-A Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Craven-A (5)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

This is my favourite "desert tobacco". As other reviews have stated it has a rich caramel flavour and just in general is an enjoyable pipe. The room note is also pure caramel, and so is not likely to offend non-smokers (unless they also happen to hate caramel).

sinatra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sinatra (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm not sure if I bought the same tobacco or not?! I looked at the distinctive label, and it looks the same, but that's where the similarity ends with the other glowing reviews.

In a word, I'm disappointed. I really wanted to like this tobacco. I have a couple of steady-diet smokes from my local tobac shop, but I wanted a high-quality, dessert smoke. Sweet, but not rot-your-teeth sweet. Flavourful, but not soaked in PG so you need to let it air out for a month before smoking. A good mix of nice tobaccos, not just sticky Black Cav.

With most aromatics, I find that either the taste and smell are full, and so is the tobacco (full of PG). Or it's a more natural tobacco, and the flavour is gone by the first third of the bowl.

From what I read, Sweet Killarney met all my criteria. At last! I've tried it twice now. It's a nice tobacco, but the aroma and flavour were no where near what they were described as here. They were so muted as to be almost not there. Some sweetness in the tin, and a hint in the first third, but after that...gone!? There is some redeeming quality in the tobacco itself, but I'm going to have to blend this with some English blend to give it some lift. The Virginia is still there by the half-way mark, but all-in-all not even close to what I had hoped for.

Maybe I'll have to try the Sunset Breeze, but at $25/tin here, I'm not sure if I'll spend the cash.

UPDATE: I had a tin of Irish Oak as well. Not bad, but a little heavy on the nicotine. (That's another review). I decided that since this tobacco needed a little body, maybe I should mix the two. It's not a bad combo. The SK provides a little lightness to the IO. The IO provides a little body to the SK. My "new" tobacco would definitely score higher.

Shagrat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shagrat (4)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This is an odd one. I have dabbled in aromatics from the mundane and downright awful (Cherry Paladin and Borkum Riff), to the subtle and sublime (Poschl Tabak's Blue Train). I thought, well, I can tolerate Peterson's Irish Oak, and I like Old Dublin. Maybe Sweet Killarney is a winsome Irish lass? Not! I found this tobacco to be a bit too sweet, a tad on the moist side, and the caramel flavor was cloying. The room note went along with the flavor for me. To be fair, I'm going to give it another try, on another day. Can't recommend this one at this time. I might throw some Latakia in and see what happens...if you never hear from me again, I will have expired from caramelitis!

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I first tried Sunset Breeze (the other aromatic in the Peterson aromatic series) and because it was way too sweet for me, I avoided trying Sweet Killarney for several months. I recently gave it a shot and was glad I did.

Unlike Breeze, Killarney is not as heavily cased and smoked more like tobacco. The tin says the blend has a caramel topping. I guess that flavor just appeals to me when I smoke it. I also received sort of a light chocolate/vanilla taste.

This blend is easy to load, smokes mostly dry and cool, and will leave you satisfied if you enjoy aromatics with a little more tobacco backbone.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)

This was a purchase designed with my lovely wife in mind. I am not a huge fan of aromatics, thought I like a little flavoring every now and then for a change of pace. She liked the smell, I liked the list of ingredients, so here we are.

The blend is a medium to light brown mix with some black cavendish thrown in. You can also readily identify the rubbed Virginia. Upon opening the tin you are greeted by a blast of carmel aroma. It can pervade a whole room. It is not however, that sickly sweet smell of many cheap aromatics.

The tobacco packs and lights with little difficulty. The first few puffs give you that taste of carmel, and the smell lingers longer. It quickly settles down to a well mannered cool smoke. The Virginia may be the saving grace here. It smokes clean all the way to the bottom, leaving a delightful room note that will not offend.

For a change of pace and to make those in need happy, recommended.

Nuggsgalore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nuggsgalore (2)
Medium Medium Full Strong

This is a great aromatic. It is a room pleaser and tastes as well as it smells. Burns great only had to re-lite once after char-lite. Do not let the name fool you, it is not super sweet. The carmel topper is definitly there, but not over powerful. I will keep this one around. I know aromatics do not age well but the Virginia in the blend might be real nice after about 5 months. Its a keeper, enjoy.

rjm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rjm (10)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

This is one of Peterson's new aromatics which I assume is blended by Murray's, one of the greatest tobacco houses in the world. The tin advertises a "cream caramel" topping and, boy, that's just what you get! Lots of it. The tobacco has a mottled appearance and is composed of ribbon and rubbed out virginia flake. It is not particularly moist when you open it, a good indication that this is a quality aromatic. From the first light to the end, you get a strong blast of the topping, but there is also a good full-bodied tobacco flavor underlying it. This is not the sort of tobacco which surprises you as you work your way down the bowl. If you like the first puff, you'll like the rest; if you don't, well.... Overall, this is a good aromatic and your reaction to it will depend, predictably enough, on your reaction to the flavoring.