Rich Black Cavendishes together with a generous amount of Sweet Cherry generate a room-aroma second to none. With satisfaction for both the smoker and the surrounding company, Black Cherry Cavendish is a "must" for lovers of aromatic tobaccos.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste

Tabakabouter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tabakabouter (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I am sorry: altough I am an aromatics fan, cherry flavour is not my favourite. I smoked the whole tin, so this Cavendish is not bad, has no tongue-bite and smokes cool. But I am missing something: body. This is too much chewing gum aroma for every day.

Cragganmore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cragganmore (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As a novice pipesmoker with an initial (although admittedly fading) interest primarily in aromatics this offering from Samuel Gawith was the first aromatic to deliver taste that somewhat matched the room and tin note. It burns nice and evenly but in my experience benefits greatly from some drying as it is fairly moist. The room note is a real crowd pleaser and lets me get away with smoking in the presence of nonsmokers.

As far as taste goes I find the distinct cherry taste doesn't really appear until after the bowl is finished. Prior to that I mostly get a plum/fig-like taste along with the cavendish. Also, at the start of my session I get a acrid, harsh taste which disappears about 1/3 into the bowl. This may be due to user error but I have tried my best to eliminate any possible variables that may cause it, such as smoking it in different pipes, with a beard and without, pantsless and humming, during a full moon and whilst tapping my fingers etc. I cannot for the life of me get rid of the initial taste...

Having said that I find it a thoroughly enjoyable smoke but it is best smoked as a dessert-smoke as the cherry taste that settles in your mouth is sure to hang around for several hours. Which isn't such a bad thing, all things considered...

// Edit: I let a bowl full of Black Cherry sit out 'til it got absolutely bonedry and I'm happy to say that the issue with the strange initial taste is now gone. I had feared that packing a brittle and dry tobacco would be a nightmare but it actually performed flawlessly with no relighting issues and a cool 1+ hr burn. With that in mind I've decided to bump up my recommendation another notch.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Definitely one of the FINEST AROMATICS,I've ever had in my pipe.A Virginian-Puritan at heart;a tobacco blender at my Winnipeg pipe shop,filled my bowl(out of his tin)*Just because this is an"Aromatic"don't be fooled;this weed packs a punch.Smooth to smoke,but"High Nicotine" I'm not sure of what leaf Gawith starts out with to make this cavendish style...I have a feel'g it is either orange or red virginian...air cured partially+then steam press it with actual Cherries.....FANTASTIC.....Even You Virginian-Puritans' should take this little Red Porsche for a spin; you may be Pleasantly surprised. :+)

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Strong Full Tolerable

To be able to smoke this heavy aromatic I had to tame it down with some squadron leader. After that it rocks! On its own though is more than I need from an aromatic.. If you are into aros and like cherry or you have a sweet tooth do buy it! If not, do look elsewhere. A pure Black Cavendish, very sweet..

QuietMoments Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
QuietMoments (7)

I found this a little dissappointing. Everything about it is "mild". The tobacco flavours and cherry flavours are both very subtle. It also lacks any punch at all. I also found that there was a roughness to the tobacco that built over the course of the pipe that left my throat a little jagged. Not a bad smoke, just not notable.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)

An extremely well-behaved aromatic. Absolutely marvellous.

Watcha Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watcha (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

A fairly pleasant smoke... but, lacking memorable characteristics, either by nose, taste or texture. Nose in the tin reveals a hint of Cherry.... not overcased... indeed undercased in my opinion.... dry out a little or be prepared for multiple lights. I really, really wanted to like this tobacco.... but, as other reviewers have noted.... in some respects it's shallow.... no bite, or real flavour. However, if adulterated with another 'suitable' tobacco it can redeem itself. I cut this with 50% Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish for two reasons... the Riff is naturally very dry and burns down quickly... especially if you're a puffer. The Gawith is naturally moist and lacking real cherry flavour and room note. The 2 work well together.... and I must admit to frequently inhaling the smoke like it was a cigarette... The Riff burns slower, becomes less pungent and allows the Gawith to stay alight... Other commentators have cut it with Sqn Ldr... One fact to note... we smokers are a fickle lot and all have different tastes and highly personal perceptions. I like aromatics.... I have include this in my rotation with 50% BRCC... which by the way are exactly the same price at £11.70 per 50 grams.

Pipe Used: Oom Paul, Petersons, various freehands

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Smoke-King (UK)

Similar Blends: Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This blend needs a little dry time fresh out of the tin, but I wouldn't let it dry out completely. A medium cherry taste with a hint of vanilla and chocolate. You won't get a tobacco taste, but you're not buying it to that reason anyway. Unlike some cherry blends, the flavor doesn't have a chemical taste, and it's fairly pleasant, though it can get slightly harsh near the end if you're a fast puffer. It has just enough of a nic-hit to rise it above some boring cherry blends. A nice morning and/or after dinner smoke when you're in the mood for tobacco in this genre.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As always with Gawith, this stuff is wet in the tin, usually I smoke their flakes quite moist but I prefer to dry out a bit their ribbon cut blends, in this case far more than a bit.... The tin smell reminds me of those brilliant red cherries used for cocktails and I mean in a good sense: alchoolic but not chemical ! BC is a strongly flavoured Aromatic with taste and room note absolutely coherent with the unlit smell, but there’s a trade-off in this case: on one hand a pleasant flavoring, one other hand there’s no tobacco taste, absolutely reset !

Pipe Used: Brebbia Dublin shape

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (13)

One of the best black cavendish tobaccos with added cherry essence..... An easy and delicios smoke...although probably not for every day. like a fresh cake from a nice baker, this is a high quality satisfaction. The base Black Cavendish tobacco is of good quality and the topping tastes natural, not chemical.

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Stunningly good, both in the box and the pipe, but be aware: this is a strong aromatic blend with average nicotine and good taste. It will be loved and appreciated by everyone around you, and you will have an amazing experience in smoking it, but for the love of your pipes choose one and dedicate it to this tobacco. The quite obvious reason is that the flavor is very strong. It will leave a cherry flavored ghost on the pipe that close to nothing will remove, not even time.

Apart from that, it's really a great tobacco. Differently from the Celtic Talisman, it does not smell "artificial" in the box. It is a wet tobacco, so it enjoys a little pre-smoke time outside the box unless you want to relight often.

If you love aromatics, this tobacco must be in your collection.

Cedrick Dunderhill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cedrick Dunderhill (3)
Mild Strong Full Pleasant

SG black cherry mixes luxuriously with Condor original, one part cherry to two parts Condor or thereabouts, for a complex Lakeland perfume with the emphasis on cherry. Condor provides the nicotine strength. 4/4

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (11)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I have to admit I did not make much of this tobacco at first. Despite a very strong (but nice) tin note of cooked cherries, I could not elicit any sort of flavour out of it. I put it down to the excessive humidity level in the newly opened tin; something that seems to be common for all SG tobaccos. When I smoked this again a few weeks after opening the tin I had a real surprise. Very nice sweet, slightly sour, old fashioned cherry candy flavoured smoke billowed out of the pipe! This is now easily my favourite aromatic, in fact the only true aromatic I can even bear to smoke. Room note is a nice slightly woody, slightly burnt cherry and chocolate tinted smoke that is even hard to detect as smoking aroma. To top it off, easy to pack and burns from char to heel without problems (ones dried out properly). All in all an excellent tobacco from SG, who can be a bit hit and miss in my experience.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Seemed really bland when I smoked it. I couldn't taste much. I'd actually rather smoke Borkum Riff's Cherry Cavendish when I feel like a cherry tobacco.

Taipanmamba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taipanmamba (16)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a lovely aromatic . As mentioned in another review the tin art is uninspiring . On opening the tin I was surprised at the lack of cherry aroma - not sure if this was just my tin . The tobacco is dark and very moist out of the tin - too wet to smoke I found . The initial few bowls did not inspire me- although the room note is fantastic and will convert even the harshest anti smoking zealot . As the tin dried out over 4 weeks so the real qualities of this tobacco revealed themselves. This is a perfect after dinner "pudding smoke". Sweet and smooth and aromatic in the best sense of the word. There is little complexity here but then it isn't trying to be complex. It gives no tongue bite and leaves a delicious sweet texture in the mouth. Whilst I wont be stockpiling this I will certainly return to it at some point in the future.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

i have to confess, I am not a passionate aro smoker, but sometimes I try some of them, even though it might be just one bowl. This time I managed to smoke a tin - the coarse cut makes the difference I guess - the pipes I used kept a cool and delicious smoke, down the entire bowl. The cavendish was easy to smoke the cherry aroma became a bit lighter then out of the tin within the process of smoking. But there was no delight for me. A good smoke while you work or read, good amount of nicotine in every kind of bowl as well. A good change of pace though, but not a rotation tobacco. Good quality of tobacco. But not my world.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Tasty tin aroma, but not the nose bouquet I expected.

The tobacco is soft and moist and very, very black.

Mulltiple relights needed.

Not as ghastly as the artificially flavoured Celtic Talisman which must be a close relative.

Very slight room note. No comment passed by Mrs RH.

I've smoked better and stronger cherry blends and I guess this one is somewhere in between.

Will not be joining the euphoria of earlier reviewers, but will finish the tin.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I like Black Forest gateaux but I don't eat it at every meal. I enjoy a good aromatic but I can't smoke them everyday but when I'm in the mood for a heavy-sweet smoke with a reasonable nicotine content this is my go to choice.

It is an out and out aromatic (no subtle "hint-of-cherries" here) but, like a fresh, hand made, sticky cake from an excellent baker, this is a high quality guilty pleasure. The base Black Cavendish tobacco is of good quality and the topping tastes natural, not chemical.

The allusion to cakes is deliberate as I think it's probably best not to think of the flavour in terms of fresh cherries, instead I would liken it to cherry jam (jelly, to our American friends) or a rich dessert.

Straight from the tin it has a very high humidity. I believe this is to keep it alive through long aging periods but it does have the side effect of making it bite like an angry ferret until you dry it out. Leaving the lid off the tin and mixing the contents regularly to achieve a uniform result is my prefered method but I have known people bake it in a low oven, spread it in a thin layer over a sheet of kitchen roll or leaving it packed in the pipe and sat on the radiator for a while. Why not devise your own treatment. The most bizarre wins a tickle on the toes from a tiny ptarmigan (Reviewer takes no responsibility for administering this reward).

I think almost every pipe smoker has a soft spot for one or two aromatics and this is one of mine.

tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

A harsh cherry blend that may require more drying than I allowed.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It seems that cherry tobacco is the first port of call for all aromatics. It's almost like an unwritten code and serves as a baseline for everything else in the same category. I've previously tried it in its various guises (loose rolling, cigarillos, etc) around the world, culminating in SG Black Cherry as my first pipe version - and one I'd been looking forward to with some zeal.

As cherry tobaccos go, it's quite heavily top-dressed. Get hands-on with it and you'll appreciate just how sugary it is. The tin comes across as rather sweet, but the casing is a pretty well-rendered morello cherry aroma, even if it does drown the Cavendish. It smells like a tobacco fit for dessert, and that's pretty much how it smokes.

For the odd bowl, this would be a nice treat; It's full-on aromatic that pulls no punches, and goes down quite well with a nice coffee in the morning - or maybe even one of those kriek beers from Belgium. However, I've realized that I can't be done with smoking something like this all day. It's just a bit too sickly for that. It's also on the moist side and does need a regular re-light.

I'd happily smoke this again, but only to begin the day, or as an after dinner moment. Certainly SG deliver a stout and robust cherry aromatic, but I'm pretty sure there are more polished blends out there, to boot.

jeffo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeffo (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

i have only just opened a tin of this and i can recommend it it has a nice aroma so my wife has told me and i think it tastes nice to it is not in my opinion a regular smoke but at the end of the day its nice and with a glass of beer even better

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I love a black cavendish, but a bit too much on the cherry for my liking, but then what did I expect, it is, after all "Black Cherry" ended up mixing it with Golden Glow (see review) I smoke a lot of Sam Gawith's offerings and if you fancy a cherry black cavendish, this would be a good one to try.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Another adventure form Samuel Gawith. As with all their flavoured blends, the high quality of the tobacco itself, makes them work.

The flavouring agent in this case, black cherry, accentuates the quality tobacco-never overpowering the base.

I find this to be a nice change of pace tobacco. Not an all day smoke, rather, a sort of dessert treate for once and a while.

It did need a couple of relights and tamps before settling down.

It burns to a dull-grey ash with a dry dottle.

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Hmmmmm, yum! Thats the only way I can describe this tobacco. I am not a fan of flavoured tobaccos or aromatics but I make an exception for this. This tobacco is quite mild in terms of strength and the flavour strenth is just right - you can really taste it but not so much that it becomes the only thing you can taste after a while smoking it, the tones of the base tobacco really come through. This is a tobacco I could keep smoking for hours on end. The cherry flavouring is just right and I would describe the tobacco base flavour as not too dissimilar to Dunhill early morning pipe. The cut of the tobacco is quite coarse and very dark in colour.

One word of warning though, I have to be honest in saying the packaging is awful, now this may be a UK thing only as I buy it in pouches, other places in the world may get better packaging. My experience has been that it is sold in unsealed pouches with not a lot of effort made to keep the moisture in, so you may find that a bit of re-hydration in necesary. But putting that aside this is a lovely tobacco.

Blueplume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blueplume (3)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very moist tobacco initially and needs a bit of drying to counter multiple relights and pipe cleaner use during the smoke. It has a great tin note but the smoking experience doesn't match it. I have found it very good for mixing with tobacco that has gone a bit dry, I added some to the end of a tin of Old Dublin and it was excellent. I may experiment a bit by drying it out and will add my findings at a later date.

Mild Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I don't normally smoke aromatics , instead I stick to more classic tastes ! This was bought for me as part of a selection by my wife , all I can say is WOW ! I love it ! Upon opening it I was hit by the most amazing smell of cherries and the flavour whilst smoking was one of the most auspicious I have had ! Bear in mind I am not an experienced aromatic man so there may be better but this has definitely opened my eyes to aromatics .... totally brilliant !!

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rustic