Forums

Which was the first...

Notifications
Clear all

Which was the first tobacco blend you fell in love with?

Page 1 / 2

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Topic starter
Noble Member

Since we started smoking a pipe, we all have walked a path of trials, successes and errors until we have discovered our favorite tobacco or blend. In my case, after a not very long series of tobaccos that did not excite me, most of them blends with Virginia and Burley, I saw in a local tobacconist a tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium whose smell captivated me forever. That smell was a different and absolutely new sensation for me. Shortly after, Balkan Sobranie Smoking Mixture appeared and that was the definitive confirmation that mixtures with latakia were the love of my life. What was the first mix you fell in love with?

44 Replies
Ithian
Estimable Member

Capstan Blue, hands down. Still surprised how good it is every time I light a bowl again.

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Even the last version made by Mac Baren?

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I’ve thought about your question and it’s really hard to answer, since my love of any particular blend is fleeting, I tend to love most of them when I’m smoking them. But the first tobacco that stood out as a wow moment for me was Orlik Golden Sliced, many years ago.

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

For me it was Tinder Box's Philosopher Blend. 

I smoked this for years because I loved getting my tobacco from the big jars at the shop. The old man at the shop made it seem like he blended it himself, and that was an exciting concept for me (I later found out they purchased it in bulk from Lane Limited).

Then I moved and only had access to drug store blends, which tasted terrible in comparison. I took a long break from smoking pipe (and took up snuff) until I discovered how much better tinned tobacco is. 

Once I started trying all kinds blends, it was Savinelli's Doblone D'Oro that awakened my love for perique. I still enjoy English and Balkan blends, but not nearly as much as I did before. I am still searching for my favourite Va/Per, but I have a lot of contenders!

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Topic starter
Noble Member

The Va/Per offer is almost infinite.

The blend that I started smoking originally was John Middleton’s apple flavor. The blend that got me obsessed with pipe smoking is frog Morton. 

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I was gifted a pouch of John Middleton´s Walnut that I enjoyed much. I never smoked Frog Morton, but I'd  love to try it. 

nach0
Noble Member

bob´s chocolate flake from gawith hoggarth.... the lakeland got me instantly!!!

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Skiff is one of my all time favorite. I have some Virgia from Gawith aging.

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

Truly loved? It is hard to say. Probably just general McClelland Virginia. 

3 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I have never smoked any Virginia blend from Samuel Gawith. Last year I was gifted some thins of Best Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake and I kept them in my cellar. I have smoked lots of Skiff, a few tins of Squadron Leader, Sam's Flake and just a couple of Commonwealth. I'm a Latakia / Oriental smoker. I can smoke Latakia / Virginia blends on occasion, and in the remote past I smoked, very from time to time, a bowl of Dunhill Royal Yacht or Capstan. I don't do it now because I'm afraid today's version of Royal Yacht will be very disappointing. I´ll probably give Capstan a try, because of the good opinions about Mac Baren version.

I would love to try McClelland but I never had the opportunity. I have read many good things about McClelland Grand Orientals Series, and after McClelland´s dissapearance, unfortunately I will never be able to try McClelland´s superb blends.

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

I am sure you will someday. There is plenty around and cellared. A trade will likely happen. But it may be a curse if you find you enjoy it.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Of course I´ll try, and maybe very soon. My sister told me she found a Capstan blue tin at home, and seems sealed. Well, last time I remember a Capstan tin purchase was around 1978-79!!!. I´ll tell you.

Union Square from G.L.P

One of many for me would be Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just For Him's Middle Earth Pipeweed Series. I'm not sure if this is still made or not since I've moved onto different blends nowadays

The first tobacco blend I fell in love with was Peterson's Elizabethan. It was the first VaPer I'd ever had. Prior to that I had smoked aromatics like Captain Black and English or American English blends such as EMP or C&D Epiphany. When I got that first taste of citrus tang off the Virginia leaf I was floored. I've been chasing and experimenting with VA and VaPer blends ever since.

Casey Smith
Estimable Member

It was Plum Pudding! My first tin I ever bought was ODF though. Which, I love but, not the best beginner smoke.

ODF was amazing enough however, to get me on this crazy train of baccy cellaring and pipe collecting 😂

Any way, Plum Pudding was the first blend that blew my mind! It led me down the English rabbit hole. 

I'm mostly a straight virginia guy these days but, thankful for everything I learned smoking all those englishes! Cheers! 

1 Reply
Singed

Eminent Member

SPC Plum Pudding in a cob is a new favourite of mine.

Lager
Estimable Member

It was Sail for me. I smoked the green, yellow and natural. Also the Amphoras.

Then they took it off the market in the early 90's. 

STG makes it now and I love the green. I wish they would bring back the natural.  I also wish they would put it in larger tins.

Estimable Member

The first tobacco I fell in love with was Douwe Egbert's Amphora Rich Aromatic (green pouch). That stuff was manna for the pipe. That was way back in 1973. It wasn't long though until Lady Latakia whisked me away with Elephant and Castle The Stout.

Bailey
Eminent Member

For me it was Mac Baran Scottish Mixture. Smoked many pounds of it in the late 80's and early 90's. Then branched out into Va, VaPer, and English blends. 

Tinder Box North Sea which is their version of Stokkebye's 24 Nougat.

Hasn't been in my rotation for almost a decade, but it is what got me started.

Skeezicks

Shortcut to Mushrooms was my first love.

Rene12
Honorable Member

For me it was davidoff flake medallions. Still one of my favorites, only reason I don't smoke it very much is the price.

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I got a tin to give it a try

Pip'n'Piper

I don’t smoke and tell.

Singed
Eminent Member

Without hesitation, McClelland's Turkish Evening. A pity they've closed shop. Smoked it almost exclusively for about 20 years.

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

McClelland is sayd to have made superb Orientals. I never smoked them but I would love to try.

Page 1 / 2

target="_blank"