Forums

Tobacco exchange?

Notifications
Clear all

Tobacco exchange?

Charles
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Is anyone up for a tobacco exchange? I enjoy trying new leaf but don’t love picking up a whole tin just to find out it’s not for me. 

I'm picturing sending a bowl’s worth of a few different varieties to a fellow member in exchange for the same. 

i believe that shipping through usps is legal as long as the amount is small and it’s meant as a gift rather than part of business.

Thoughts?

49 Replies
nach0
Noble Member

I wish i could help but i´m not able to get anything related to tobacco from mail without paying tax with my soul.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Hey Charles, 

I’m sure there are people who would enjoy doing exchanges. There are new people joining the forum all the time too who may be interested. 

I suspect that you would need to be active here on the forum and keep the conversation alive until it gets going. 

6 Replies
Charles

Trusted Member

Fair enough. I recognize that I’m new to the forum. Let’s see how it goes. 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I hope I didn’t come across as discouraging the idea, I think it would be great for people wanting to check out different blends, there are a lot of tobaccos out there and I have seen many people not want to try more because they have tins piling up already. If there is any way I can support your idea I will. 

Charles

Trusted Member

Not at all. I look forward to getting to know the community.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Likewise!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

It’s just a thought but maybe if you posted a list of what you have to exchange, it might encourage others to jump in. 

Eminent Member

I would be interested in a tobacco exchange I like the idea

Nick R
Noble Member

It sounds like a good idea. It will only be feasible for those of us in the USA- otherwise Nach0 will loose his soul. Even then, tobacco shipping is a state by state thing and I would encourage everyone to check if shipping from their state to the recipient state is allowed. The fine for messing that one up is pretty big.

1 Reply
nach0

Noble Member

Hahahahah 🤣 🤣 🤣 

I can help sending a brazilian tobaco tin to one of you guys and then it can be shared among all of you. But the otherway round is impossoble. I'll be happy if we make it happen.

Joseph
Prominent Member

Not to be a party pooper, but I am worried about the potential legal challenges of mailing a highly regulated substance, (even between personal friends as gifts in small amounts). I have a small circle of friends locally that meet at irregular intervals (in good weather) for “Whiskey Tasting” in one of our back yards- where everyone brings a whiskey to share, and some bring cigars or a pipe tobacco to share as well. That’s not possible online, but, it sure avoids any legal issues.

5 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I’m not an attorney, but according to the Post Office, there are no restrictions on shipping pipe tobacco in the US. There are restrictions on cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. I know there are four states that commercial shipments of pipe tobacco to them are prohibited by those states, but I don’t know about gifts, I don’t understand how they could legally restrict that, but it doesn’t mean they haven’t tried and no one has challenged it. Those states are Maine, South Dakota, Washington, and Utah. If anyone has more info on this I hope they chime in, I’m curious about that.

Pipe tobacco is legal to own and possess everywhere, with the exception of age requirements. They haven’t made us criminals yet. 😉

gladi8tor96

Eminent Member

I've participated in similar pipe tobacco sharing with fellow pipers all around the USA and we have never had an issue.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

This could work well within a country. Crossing borders and frontiers are problematic with tobacco, alcohol, and any substance tax lucrative to any government. One of these days we'll have petrol controls when crossing a border by car.

Eminent Member

I have received nasal snuff from the UK with no problems other than the time it takes to clear customs there and here so I would think it would be the same for pipe tobacco

Eminent Member

One time I tried to ship some tobacco to a friend and made the mistake of telling the person at the We Ship It that it was tobacco and he said that it is illegal to ship below is what I found on goggle- if I ship anything to a friend I always say its a book or pipes-you will not have any problems shipping pipes

• USPS allows you to ship tobacco but in a limited capacity, but you need to pack and label it properly
  • FedEx only accepts tobacco products if they’re being shipped from one licensed distributor to another
  • UPS only allows sending tobacco in the mail if you have a legal license to do so
Joseph
Prominent Member

Having said that, the idea sounds great to me, if legal and logistical problems can be solved.

Just brainstorming. It’s way beyond the scope of a couple buddies helping each other out; and it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth - but, it doesn’t cost anything but time and imagination to dream - so…

…what about a “pipe tobacco bank”?

…you’d have to open an account (proving ID and residence)

…you would “deposit” tobacco by buying it and having it delivered to the bank.

The bank then breaks it into “Tasting Units” (TUs) - 50-cent sample portions - repackaging it into airtight pouches labeled with exactly what it is (with tin date, repacking date, mg per pouch). You get credited with the number of TUs you deposit.

Then, you “withdraw” TUs by picking from the whole selection of blends in the bank.

The bank handles legal and regulatory compliance - and you pay only taxes, duties, tariffs, handling and shipping when you make a withdrawal. You already paid for the Tasting Samples when you deposited your own.

just brainstorming

4 Replies
Joseph

Prominent Member

And, a withdrawal is technically not a purchase. You’re transporting something you already own. So, that may open up more opportunities for commerce-restricted areas. …and, maybe eliminate double taxation, assuming tax was paid upon depositing purchase.

Eminent Member

The idea is a great one but who would be the bank manager? There could be an awful lot of work with this idea depending on how many depositors you would have

Joseph

Prominent Member

Yes. All valid questions. I was just brainstorming about what is possible, not volunteering to take the lead in making it happen. (Glancing sideways @BriarBerg) Maybe a commercial interest might set up a non-profit educational foundation that could make it happen?

Joseph

Prominent Member

The International Tobacco Taster’s Bank (ITTB)? 🤷

www.PipeBlendPool.org -  a private shared tobacco cellar, members only

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I’ve sent tobacco to a number of people here on this forum and on others, as well as having gotten tobacco from others. It’s actually quite common in my experience. Some sites have blend clubs where people trade off each month sending out the tobacco to the group of people who participate. Most forums have sections for trading tobacco. I don’t think that there are any concerns with this, the hard part is finding someone who wants what you have and you want what they have. 

JTW

In South Dakota the law states specifically that no tobacco can be shipped to anyone in the state from a business. They do allow cigars to be shipped but the business has to be registered, pay tax, and clearly mark the packages. The belief is that if a friend or relatives who is in no way associated with a business could send you tobacco. The receiver does have to be 21 to possess. We live overall pretty free in SD so when I found this law as a new pipe connoisseur I was a little shocked. Take all for what it is.

No person who is engaged in the business of selling or distributing cigarettes or tobacco products may ship or transport, or cause to be shipped or transported, cigarettes or tobacco products to any consumer in the state.

Codified Law 10-50-99 - South Dakota

1 Reply
 JTW

PS also not an attorney and suggest your own research just some of the information I have found so far.

Nick R
Noble Member

Again, not an attorney, so do your own research. Ted named the most problematic states correctly. Most of the regulations are meant to be for commercial tobacco shipments. The problem lies in exactly what each state defines as commecial- the answer may not be common sense. There are ifs, ands, ors and buts. That being said, tobacco is not regulated as stringently as alcohol- especially hard liquor. Hard liquor carries more restrictions because it is flammable (class 3 flammable liquid) and must be shipped in compliance with those additional regulations.

If I were to look up the shipping regulations of tobacco for my state and the recipient state (including provisions for age restricted delivery ie. Signature 21+ required) and I was able to be in compliance then I would feel quite comfortable with shipping small amounts of tobacco.

There is not enough room on this forum to address this fully - it would take pages. I again, encourage everyone to do their own research. In my opinion, a tobacco share would be a viable and legal option so long as all the variables are accounted for.

Charles
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Hey guys, any ideas why my posts other posts are flagged for pending approval? I wrote an intro post as well as another one for this forum section. Neither is posted. Are there admins I can contact?

5 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Not sure, how long have they been marked pending approval? If it’s less than 24 hours I would give it a little time. They haven’t yet made the rules and restrictions around new accounts clear that I have seen. I’m sure they are battling a lot of spam and still trying to figure it all out. This forum is still a baby, only about six months old now. 

Charles

Trusted Member

That gives me some peace of mind. They’ve both been flagged as “pending moderation” for nearly 24H. I’ll give it until tomorrow…but what then? I haven’t spotted a way to contact admins.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Under the menu next to your avatar at the very top of the screen is a Contact Us option. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

@briarberg is the admin.

BriarBerg

Hello Charles, and welcome! I've approved your posts and you shouldn't need approval going forward, but feel free to let me know if you run into any difficulties. 

BriarBerg

We originally thought that we would do a marketplace but decided to shelve it and wait for things to get going a bit more, since we would want to establish rules that are to be determined like minimum posts before selling or something of the sort, just to ward off spam and scams. That said, we would certainly look into all these legal questions before rolling that out.

1 Reply
Charles

Trusted Member

I like the idea of a marketplace. I’m sure tobacco AND pipes might find interest. I agree that legal issues should be addressed ahead of time. Thanks for giving this consideration!

gladi8tor96
Eminent Member

I'm happy to share and send samples of a variety of tobaccos to my fellow pipe smokers.  I'm in on this one.

Eminent Member

Couldn't we just post some blends that we would like to try and if anyone has that blend if they want to they can reach out to the person wanting to try it and they work out all the little details themselves?

2 Replies
gladi8tor96

Eminent Member

I like this idea!  

Charles

Trusted Member

Might be the best idea. @Ted mentioned something similar. Could we possibly create a Forum channel that might be a place for 'asks' and 'gives'?

Lager
Estimable Member

I have a lot of tobacco I am willing to share. I think the guys in our pipe club think I'm crazy as I'm always trying to give stuff away. The problem is years of buying bulk has caught up and my surplus will probably out live me....

gladi8tor96
Eminent Member

I've also been part of a tobacco tin box.  It requires a lot of trust.  The box starts out with like 10-20 different tins or pouches of tobacco.  It's sent to the first person on the list who takes 1-4 tins/pouches and replaces the taken ones with a tin/pouch of equal or greater value.  It is sent along to the next person on the list.  It's a pretty cool venture, but requires a lot of trust! 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Well @Charles it seems like your idea has already found interested participants! Start a thread and start swapping. I don’t think the admin cares as long as you’re not buying and selling, but if he does he’ll let you know I’m sure.

I’m not really looking for any tobacco right now so I don’t want anything, but I’d be happy to send out some samples to people on the forum if it’s something specific they really want to try. 

Back when I first started smoking a pipe, I knew lots of pipe smokers locally and you couldn’t get together with them without someone sticking a pouch in your face and saying “you want to try this?” And you doing the same. When you went to tobacconists, they would let you have a bowl of any bulk blends they had to try and they would occasionally have a tin of something open for the same reason. It was a fun part of pipe smoking and the only remnant of that I encounter is people sharing on forums. 

By the way, a tip for sharing tobacco  that I do that makes it a lot easier and cheaper to do. A regular letter or envelope can be mailed at the cheapest first class letter rate as long as it’s under 1/2” thick. When I send people things to try, I put about 4-5 bowls worth in a flat Mylar bag or foodsaver bag and make sure it’s smoothed flat, although I suppose any decent bag would do, fold a piece of paper around it and stick it in an envelope and mail it. If I’m sending multiple blends, I just tape the bags to a piece of paper and use a larger envelope. Obviously do whatever works best for you, but that’s worked for me. 

FortyTwa
Estimable Member

I’m all about this! Count me in. I’m just getting started with pipe tobacco and enjoying it. I typically buy a tin each payday (ahem, sorta). I’ve listed the tobaccos I currently have open in my profile, and I’m eager to try anything someone would be enthusiastic to recommend, especially non-aromatic blends. I really hope that trading takes off on this site.

Chris

5 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Hey Chris, I thought it was a great idea and there are already a number of people sharing blends with each other here, but no organized effort has happened yet. @Charles started to kick it off, but he hasn’t been around since on the forum. I’m sure it could get going, it would just take some patience and diligence in the beginning. 

FortyTwa

Estimable Member

Yup, I saw that, and the thread was quite a ways down the list when I replied to it.

Having said as much, I’d like to carry the conversation farther, and perhaps one day admin can add a sharing sub forum. 

I’ll continue to add tobaccos to my profile as they arrive. And if anyone’s interested in trading, or doing a one ended send in exchange for SASE/packing and postage (we used to call that B&P when I was trading Grateful Dead tapes through the mail, ages ago, for blanks and postage 😊) then just shoot me PM. TobaccoReviews has a PM functionality, doesn’t it? I haven’t checked! 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

No messaging ability here. People usually just exchange their email addresses. If I can help in keeping the conversation alive in any way, let me know. 

BriarBerg

I brought up adding a private messaging plug in with a superior a bit back and it seems to be difficult to bring on right now because of bots/spam. If two users would like for me to connect them via email, they can reach out to me at [email protected] and I can connect them so they don't have to post their email publicly. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

That’s very considerate of you, thanks! It’s good to have such an excellent admin! 😊

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

I advise people to swap, whenever possible, within their own Customs Union or similar jurisdiction. I’ve started a thread for European Union citizens interested in swapping items of interest. I started participating in that swapping within hours 😊 We’ll see how it goes 🤞 

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Love this idea guys!

Some of the tobaccos you guys talk about are completely foreign to me, literally and figuratively, and I would love to try them. Don't know what I could offer as a lot of what I have seems to be old hat to most of you.

My inventory at present is:

-Amphora Special Reserve Dark Cavendish

-MacBaren Vanilla Cream & HH Old Dark Fired

-C&D Autumn Evening & Chenet's Cake

-G.L.Pease Odyssey & Gaslight

-Gawith's Squadron Leader

-Colt's Aromatic

-Mr.B's English Mix

Not aware of any other Canadians on the forum yet either and don't think it would be easy getting tobacco over the border. I can't even buy it from another province. Ridiculous. 

I'll have to do some research on shipping small gifts to someone.

If there are any other Canadians out there, lets talk!!

1 Reply
ugdabug

Reputable Member

I visited an Indian reserve yesterday and came away with:

-Mr.B's Island Paradise

-Amphora Kentucky blend

-Vincenzo Sherlock Holmes

-MacBaren Scottish Mixture

so we can add that to the mix.

target="_blank"