Rare tobacco relate...

Notifications
Clear all

Rare tobacco related object

Page 1 / 2

nach0
Topic starter
Noble Member

What is your rarest tobacco related object?

Mine are 2 tobacco tins, they are not exactly related to pipe but still in the tobacco niche.

Looking forward to see which kind of gem can pop up from this conversation.

1704235222-20240102_193005.jpg
72 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I have an extensive collection I’ve collected over the past twenty five years. I will only post three random items for now, not my rarest, but two are definitely rare. 

The first is quite rare, an unused late 19th century French cigar holder in the shape of a cutty pipe. It’s made out of real amber and sterling silver which by itself makes it pretty cool, but the most interesting thing about that I’ve never seen elsewhere, is it has an early filter concept. The silver ball in the center unscrews and you put a small wad of cotton in it as the filter, change as needed. I need to polish the silver on this some day. 

1704237575-IMG_5308.jpeg
2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

Oh la la !! 😮 😱 

Joseph

Prominent Member

...my favorite of the 3 you've shared so far. 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

The next item is a complete replacement meerschaum bowl display. Difficult to date exactly but I will say circa 1910. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the only complete example left in existence. 

1704237806-IMG_5306.jpeg
1 Reply
Jimmyyuma

Estimable Member

Very cool items! I'm looking forward to seeing you on Antiques Roadshow! 👍

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Lastly for now, one that’s not super rare, but speaks to my enjoyment of gadgets. A Phil-O-Matic combination pipe tobacco pouch and automatic bowl filling/packing device. Complete with some old dried out tobacco still in it. Circa 1950’s. 

1704238065-IMG_5307.jpeg
6 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

OMG i couldn´t even imagine the simply existence of such a thing 🤯 🤯  

Nick R

Noble Member

Ted all 3 of those are super cool! I imagine your collection is the envy of the town!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Thanks, but most people who have seen it in person just say, “Oh, smoking stuff, that’s nice”  🙂

ericbrooks75

Trusted Member

Those are absolutely amazing.  I know what you mean with people looking at you like you are nuts for being so excited about “smoking stuff”.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

This is the rarest tobacco related thing I have seen in my life!. The automatic filling device is incredible.

I could not even imagine such a thing exists!!!.

Trusted Member

interesting...wished i could see a demonstration on that.you've got some lovely objects.

ericbrooks75
Trusted Member

I think mine is an old pipe I found at a flea market.  I looked it up, it’s called The Doodler. https://pipedia.org/wiki/The_Doodler

The other is an old pipe lighter made by the Nimrod Bolt Co.  This isn’t mine, but looks like this:

Vintage Nimrod Pipe Lighter & How It Works...(Invented In 1947 ...Vintage Nimrod Pipe Lighter & How It Works...(Invented In 1947 ...

Visually analyzed image

Rene12
Honorable Member

I have this pipestand which is also an ashtray. My girlfriend found it at a thrift store for €1,50

1704309724-IMG20240103201808.jpg
1 Reply
nach0

Noble Member

nice one!

Rene12
Honorable Member

Second picture

1704309813-IMG20240103201819.jpg
Sir Otter
Reputable Member

This is the pipe of a famous Hungarian author, Istvan Fekete, who I'd describe as the Hungarian Jack London, since he wrote naturalist stories about animals. Unfortunately, they haven't been translated into English, but they are available in German. I was gifted this by his daughter-in-law who was settling the estate, and for some reason museums didn't want his pipe collection. This is the only smokable one, the rest were decorative and probably gifts. There was a massive cake in this pipe, and you can see on the bottom that the vulcanite melted on something hot. I don't know the age on this pipe, but it could be approaching a hundred years old since he started writing in the '30s, however I'd guess it was purchased during the 40's since it's hardwood and the War caused a briar shortage. He put it to great use, and I like to smoke it from time to time for literary inspiration. 

1704365283-photo_2024-01-04-113554.jpeg
3 Replies

Trusted Member

do you think its a Szabo pipe? strange no one was interested in his parafernalia and pipes.

Sir Otter

Reputable Member

There's no stamp on it, so I have no idea! I really have no idea why they didn't take the pipes, or if they took some other pipes that I wasn't shown. I am not super close with the family, but I was the only pipe smoker they knew, so I got offered the pipes. 

On a side note, did Szabo ever make nice pipes? They are very low quality today. Some of the cheapest briar I have ever seen. 

Trusted Member

Yes szabo makes very nice pipes.mine smoke cool,and are pretty imo.however i had one,really very pretty,but,it gets so hot,that it got blistered.when i complaind they said i probably don't know how to smoke a pipe.... 🤣 i smoke pipe for almost 30 years now,and still have my first pipes wich i smoke almost dailey,untill they get some rest.so,i don't buy from szabo anymore.
They are cheap,and i use them for vacation,so my good pipes won't get damaged.

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

These are the others. The ceramic pipe I would love to smoke, but the stem is long lost and I am not sure where I could go about finding a replacement. The huntsman was poorly constructed with the nails used to attach the metal cap poking out, which is why it is decorative for me. The old man pipe is definitely a work of art, i tried smoking it and it was clear that it wasn't meant to be actually smoked. 

1704365816-IMAGE-2024-01-04-115429.jpg
2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

Sad that the old man doesn´t smoke, such beautiful piece.

Trusted Member

the ceramic (or clay?) is a beauty.i don't know where you live,but try a pipe manufactering company,for a replacement stem.

BriarBerg

I purchased this little Billiard at an antique store when I was somewhat new to the pipe and was getting cheap estates to learn some restoration. I bought this one for $16. The nomenclature wasn't at all legible, but when I started cleaning it up, I was able to glean the faded Sasieni stamp with the florid "i", the London Made stamp, and the almost entirely lost remnants of a patent number. One Dots weren't around long in the US. Nearly identical to the Dunhill white spot (Sasieni spots were pale blue), Dunhill took action. Trademark Laws being tighter in the US, the One Dot was replaced with other dot configurations in the US market while remaining in the UK. Based on what I can vaguely make of the PA number on mine, it's a US One Dot from the early 20s. If not, pre-WWII British market One Dot—less rare but still quite a find, especially for the expense!

1704378864-Sasieni-restored.jpg
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

This is a CPF (Colossal Pipe Factory) pipe and it has a stamp on the bowl that says "Patented 1885". I looked up pipe patents from that year and found it. It was portrayed as a design for a pipe that would be easier to clean. To me it seems more like a calabash concept, but whatever. I assume it's from 1885 and wasn't made after the first batch since it seems unnecessarily complicated.

1704395782-IMG_5311.jpeg
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

One of my favorite antique meerschaum cutty pipes which I acquired out of a pipe museum’s collection in Switzerland. Italian, approximately 1880. While I have a lot of meerschaum cutty pipes, this one stands out for a few reasons. It’s 14 inches long (about 35cm) and has a genuine red amber stem, the rarest kind of amber. I really like the raked bowl as well. One of these days I will get around to lightly restoring it and use it. 

1704396554-IMG_4796.jpeg
4 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

🤯 🤯 🤯 

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

WOW!

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

A truly piece of museum!

Trusted Member

i love to smoke meerscham pipes,and this IS a beauty.love the " goudse klei pijp" look.

Joseph
Prominent Member

Okay @Ted, we’re ready to see the next wonder from your personal museum. Don’t hold out on us. 🤠

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Here you go @Joseph, here’s two more uncommon pipes. 

This first one is an unsmoked Lancashire Captain Warren/General Dawes pipe, briar with genuine meerschaum bowl. The design was born in the 1920’s to get the best results of a calabash but in a standard size pipe. 

1704681880-IMG_5322.jpeg
1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Here you can see the bowl out, the draft hole is near the top of the smoke chamber so one is not drawing directly from the bowl, creating an even cooler and drier smoke than a full meerschaum pipe (in theory. I’ve never compared them). 

1704682110-IMG_5323.jpeg
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Next, this is my oldest and definitely my favorite to look at (I haven’t smoked it) gourd calabash. It of course has a meerschaum bowl, silver fittings and a real amber stem, all in amazing condition for its age. It’s English. The hallmarks on the silver date it to 1890. 

1704682401-IMG_2459.jpeg
2 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

😮 🤩 

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

A true museum piece

Joseph
Prominent Member

Posted by: Ted

Lancashire Captain Warren

...that's very interesting. I wonder if there are more modern (and affordable) examples available. I'd like to get something like this. I'm a fairly wet smoker, and this would definitely keep all the moisture in the bottom chamber below the meerschaum.

Amazed at that very beautiful 1890 meerfschaum, too. Such elegant lines. Perfect, really.

2 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

A number of pipe makers make Captain Warren style pipes. I wouldn’t say they are common but I have seen new ones from time to time, usually with briar bowls rather than meerschaum. I haven’t paid enough attention to remember the various makers aside from Paronelli who makes a few pipes in the spirit of the concept, at least the last time I looked at their website. 

Yeah, I think it’s the geometry of that calabash that really gets me, it’s perfection. 

Joseph

Prominent Member

...on second thought, after snooping around a bit, I'd probably do better to just get an actual calabash. The modern expressions of Captain Warren/General Dawes are pretty rare, too. And, to be honest, it just doesn't look right, either. ha, ha

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Probably the last item I will post in this thread for a while, I would need to start digging through boxes for more, I don’t have most of my collection out on display. 

This is a French briar cutty with Albatross bone and horn stem and nickel fittings. Likely pre-WWI. I have other bird bone stemmed pipes but they are packed away right now, but this is a presentable example. 

1704842057-IMG_5324.jpeg
3 Replies
nach0

Noble Member

Omfg ... we got a winner 😱 😱 😱 

Nick R

Noble Member

All really cool items! We will be here when you decide to go through your boxes someday.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

You have a good collection of French pipes. 

CLAUDIO
Eminent Member

I'm impressed with everyone they're showing, it's great that NachO came up with the topic "rare object related to tobacco"

Thanks for sharing these wonders 

Lager
Estimable Member

Bought this at the Newark pipe show years ago. Not sure what Era it's from but I collect stuff like this when I can find it. It has never been used.

1704903760-17049035920167891531705797476389.jpg
1 Reply
nach0

Noble Member

wow nice piece!!!!!!!!

Lager
Estimable Member

Flea market find.

1704903964-17049038734517980648566471677208.jpg
1 Reply

Trusted Member

handy with the tobacco jar in the middle.

Page 1 / 2

target="_blank"