Forums

Favorite Gawith Hog...

Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Gawith Hoggarth tobaccos

DeathMetal.org
Topic starter
Estimable Member

This storied blending house produces quite a wide range of tobaccos, and seems to have merged with Samuel Gawith, which makes it hard to keep them straight. Here some favorites from the wildlands:

5. "Black Twist." Want to try the tobacco that people have in mind when they talking about a choking horror of smoke? The Black Twist is stoved, giving it a dark color and oily condition, aided by the olive oil they put on it, which gives it a smoky barbecue flavor at a nicotine level that will keep you up all night.

4. "Best Brown No. 4." A solid Burley/Virginia rope that might put you on the floor but you will enjoy the descent which will happen in slow motion. Be sure to keep smoking until the paramedics arrive. This is one of the most tobacco-tasting tobaccos, yet tamed, in the bunch.

3. "Dark Bird's Eye." Black shag from the Victorian era or before, this tobacco might be the easiest thing to load, light, and smoke because you just stuff a slight excess into the pipe and then press it down with a finger. Set it on fire and it is immediately good to go for a long, sweet smoke.

2. "Brown Twist." One of the classics of the genre, this is Virginia prepared like dark fired Kentucky Burley, meaning that they take it off the field and smoke it to lock in all the delicious nicotine and sweetness. At first, the bowl tastes like smoke, but then the flavors meld and the leaf caramelizes, giving you a spicy molasses flavor.

1. "Kendal Gold." If you like bright Virginia, this radiant yellow shag will provide you with an experience like the old "Three Sails." Not too much nicotine, lots of sweetness, and a flavor that expands somewhere between almonds and a fine white bread with a thin layer of honey on it and hints of lemon.

14 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Gawith Hoggarth blends have been the “backbone” of my smoking for more than 20 years now. I’ll list the five I reach for most often, but I like almost everything they produce. 

Bosun Plug or Cut Plug- (same tobacco) probably top of the list of tobaccos that work for me regardless of my mood or taste. 

Dark Plug- One of the strongest nic wise of any tobacco available. Wonderful tobacco flavor with just a hint of Lakeland flavor. In this same style, Dark Flake also, it’s not the same blend btw. Dark Flake Aromatic if I want intense Lakeland flavor.

Coniston Cut Plug- A smooth dark fired Burley based tobacco with nice Lakeland flavors  

Whiskey Twist- Brown Irish X flavored with whiskey. 

Kendal Dark- Not the same but reminds me of the old Gauloises Brunes. The new Polish production ones are very different.

It’s hard to go wrong with GH.

1 Reply
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

I have to second the mention of "Coniston Cut Plug." This tobacco made me get over my fear of the Lakeland Essence.

BriarBerg

I haven't made my way through too much Hoggarth, but I've been enjoying some Best Brown 2 that is excellent. Also very much enjoy Kendall Kentucky—great on it's own, but when I've humored myself with trying to throw together a mixture of my own it has often found its way in. Great flavor, adds some muscle, and the shag ribbon makes for a nice burn. 

2 Replies
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

Shag seems to me an underrated cut. It is easy to fill, light, and smoke. Painless in fact.

CRASHtheGREY

Reputable Member

There needs to be more shag in the world. If only people would listen to me.

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

Enerdale, Kendal, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Dark Flake, Bosun, Coniston, and Scotch Flake, to name a few. Lakeland tobacco is awesome. 

2 Replies
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

The "Dark Flake" is really good but almost too much dark fired flavor, so I mix it with a strip of "507-c." Makes for a complex smoke but lots of solid flavor.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Sounds interesting, I’m going to try that. 

Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

Bosun cut plug,  dark birds eye, rum flake

And their balkan....best bulk english you find 

Dark Bird Eye, Kendal Dark, Brown Twist Sliced.

1 Reply

Dark Bird's Eye has been in my regular rotation for over twenty years now.

philips897

Brown Flake and Glengarry  this Wonderfull flake, slow burn, cool smoke

dark bird eye

Pipes Comics
Trusted Member

Lakeland Dark is really special but delightful !

target="_blank"