Forums

Capstan blue flake

Notifications
Clear all

Capstan blue flake

FortyTwa
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Zoinks! This stuff’s delicious. Truly, magnanimously delicious!

I couldn’t wait and rubbed out half a flake for the ride home and it was 100% the best tobacco I’ve had in my short journey. I thought… “eureka!” And I finally understood the descriptions of Virginia tobacco as creamy or grassy. I love this stuff. It’s going to be hard for me to want to try anything else but virginias for a while.

15 Replies
Relight
Honorable Member

I'm smashing the buy button 🤣 

1 Reply
FortyTwa

Trusted Member

Don't smoke it too hot. It’s got quite a bit of body and develops nicely after light-tamp-light. Definitely rewarding, now I’m wishing I was one of those pipe Jedis out there who have experienced dozens of Virginia blends and could comment more thoroughly, but I’m just about as smitten as a kid in love. With all the tobaccos I’ve smoked so far it feels like this is what I was looking for. No bells and whistles, no candy, just tasty.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I have about 20 tins of both the Blue and the Gold in my cellar. It’s as solid an example of an excellent Virginia as one is liable to find and an outstanding smoke. I love the stuff. No unnecessary flavor additions, it really allows one to appreciate the tobacco. 

If you’re interested in similar blends, HU Sunset Flake and Dan Tobacco Mellow Mallard are very much in the same range, but with their own particular nuances. The HU Sunset Flake is also a particular favorite of mine. 

2 Replies
FortyTwa

Trusted Member

I have read good things about Dan tobacco… it’s always out of stock, too, in the three or four places I’ve looked to buy. Also a good sign?

While at the shop I was also looking at Yorktown, and Orlik Golden Slices. Might be curious about Burley Flake #5 and #3, can’t remember who it was, either Pease or C&D?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Orlik Golden Slices is a true classic if you’ve never tried it, I would highly recommend it. Yorktown is an excellent. If slightly one note, somewhat lighter Virginia. I can’t comment on the C&D Burley Flakes, I tried a couple of them and was underwhelmed, but that could just be my tastes. 

Dan tobacco is rarely available in the US, other than a few of their offerings at least. I always end up ordering from Estervals in Germany. They almost always have the entire line in stock. 

Awfers
Estimable Member

Can confirm, Capstan Blue is on of my favourites! That and Three Nuns are constantly in my rotation.

I also like Rattray's Marlin Flake.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Capstan Blue is probably the best example of what a classic Virginia Flake should be. Now it´s made by Mac Baren that made an excellent job preserving this blend recognizable after many years of changes.

I´m not specially a Virginia Lover, just in the hottest of the Spanish summer, a very bad season to smoke Latakia. Latakia tastes different and it´s hard to smoke in very hot weather. That´s my time for Virginia and Orientals.

pipozzo volante
Estimable Member

Capstan blue it's my all day, all season, all everything. It never disappoints, and that nice little tin is a pocket-perfect design, easy to store and easy to carry.

One of the most satisfying tobaccos, it made me become an adept of flake virginia, though the first experiences were quite difficult.

I also like to cellar a tin and smoke it after two years 😎 

3 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

In a month or so I´ll open a two years one.

Relight

Honorable Member

I didn't add a tin to my last order. I hope the local has it. I'm going to go on the Steamworks drop day and I'll grab a tin then if they have it. 

pipozzo volante

Estimable Member

You keep us posted! Quite curious about that new Steamworks mixture

Estimable Member

Maybe my taste has changed but I am totally underwhelmed by the recently incarnation of Capstan. I was a big fan of the until the late nineties Impeial produced Capstan. They had a especially developed flavour ,called stanuned since coumarin was forbidden and it was divine. Nothing left of today. To me ti is a unscentened virginia like many on the market

1 Reply
pipozzo volante

Estimable Member

That's too bad, I had the same sensation when Early Morning passed to Peterson, now I really don't like it.

Hope you did find a good replacement for the old capstan 😊 

Lee
 Lee
Noble Member

I love both blue and yellow varieties of Capstan Navy Cut. They are what Virginia flakes should be. As others have said, they aren’t fancy; they rely on simple, natural tobacco goodness! Delicious! 

1 Reply

Estimable Member

Yes you are right Lee. But they are total different animals now. Imperial made a great job in findinga a  flavour that supported the virginias in a undescribable way. It was in the british classically way of the seventys. Brilliant. For now it is a simple flake made of good leaf. 

target="_blank"