Forums

One brown flake

Notifications
Clear all

One brown flake

Relight
Topic starter
Honorable Member

I have a brown flake hole in the inventory. 

If you were going to buy a brown VA flake readily available today what would you pick?

I'm leaning Peterson flake.

12 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Capstan Blue. 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

That’s funny, I left that comment above and then looked at the next new post and it was @FortyTwa praising Capstan Blue. 

Relight
Topic starter
Honorable Member

I never would've considered it. Appreciate ya both! I'll give it a whirl. 

Awfers
Estimable Member

Another one to maybe add to the order is Rattray's Marlin Flake.

Rene12
Honorable Member

I would pick capstan as well. One of the best straight virginias I have ever had the pleasure of smoking!

nach0
Noble Member

I´m just starting out in the world of pure virginias, and i´m enjoying quite a lot.

I have a sealed tin of HH Pure Virginia, i already smoked the Full Virginia Flake and have a opened tin of Peterson Flake which i´m smoking constantly. Apart from that, i also have a opened tin of Blockade Runner, this one is cased in Rum which makes everything even better.

Most of what people talk about virginias i´m just starting to pick up, but IMO gave me more pleasure to know better than my trials in the VaPer world which i still believing i´ll develop taste in the future.

2 Replies
Relight

Honorable Member

I've been smoking for a long time and still fail, as often than not, trying to really sip and enjoy any blend. And VAs benefit the most from restraint.

I don't sip anything. I eat all the ice cream. I drink the soda in 30 seconds. It's why I finally quit drinking alcohol. Because I drank all the booze. So it's counter to my nature. But that's the fun part of pipe smoking really. 

Thanks for the info on the VAs you've been smoking. Always fun to hear others experiences. 

nach0

Noble Member

My pipe that is dedicated to virginias is the one with the more restricted airflow than all other i have.

So when i was making a rotation, this specific pipe made me realize that virginias works better in a slow cadence, and this pipe become the one i can get more from VA´s. It really taught me how to slow down. Now i can replicate this cadence even smoking in other pipes, but that one remains the best pipe for VA´s i have. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Capstan Blue is an essential Virginia to have in any serious cellar. After Capstan you can try SG Full Virginia Flake and SG Best Brown Flake if you want to dig a bit deeper.

2 Replies
Relight

Honorable Member

I've smoked the Gawith (both) flakes of all types. I agree FVF and best brown unscented are da bomb. 💣 

But I'm only finding lbs right now. Just want a tin to smoke. 

Definitely gonna snag a tin of Capstan with my next order. 

Rene12

Honorable Member

One isn't enough, trust me 😉 

Relight
Topic starter
Honorable Member

Correcting myself. I now see SmokingPipes has G&H bulk. Brown flake, dark flake, several Kendalls etc available by the oz

Also. Looking back through my old invoices 

Ahhhh the good old days. 😀

This is the OJK I've been recently smoking. 

1714272960-Screenshot_20240427_205200_Chrome.jpg

target="_blank"