Forums

Best American blend...

Notifications
Clear all

Best American blends

Topic starter
Trusted Member

My sister is coming to France with her husband.  They can bring 250 grams of tobacco each without issues.  

Im in Europe.  I can get lots of things but American brands (C&D, Seattle Pipe club etc..) are really expensive here.

What should I have them bring?

Im not into lat bombs.  A little goes a long way.  Soooo many choices.

7 Replies
Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

You're not into lat bombs.... But you still like English blends right?  For English type blends I would recommend Charing Cross by GL Pease, it is incredibly complex and one of the greatest proper English blends ever created.  Also, fusilier's ration by home and hearth.  It too is utterly exceptional, incredibly relaxing and basically comfort food for the soul. 

If you're looking for more traditional American style blends, I would have to strongly recommend Old Dark Fired by Mac Baren. I know it's not an American company, but this stuff is extremely flavorful and satisfying.  It is big and full bodied, extremely smooth, sweet and smokey and generally just reminds me of the Southern United States in the 1800s.  Another great American style blend would be Triple play  by GL Pease.  Oh boy, I love this tobacco.  Get it lit, and slow it down.  Tiny puffs, and the reward is incredible.  This may be my favorite Virginia perique blend of all time. It is different, has some definite strength and darkness. Smokes slowly it becomes a worthy investment in time.  

Honorable mentions, if you can't find those ones:

White Knight by home and hearth.  

Nightcap by Peterson

The red hunt by Cornnel and Diehl

Quiet nights by GL Pease

Deluxe bullseye flake Peter Stokebyes (dont know it u can get it in a can)

Anything by Ken Byron Ventures, but they all come in sealed bags, I don't know if they would pass customs in France.

I've written reviews for most of these tobacco, my reviews are not technical I simply try to explain why I like them.  

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

Pipe Force Episode IV and V. Have them get you some limited edition stuff since you will not want to get hooked on anything this way, anyway.

Pipes Comics
Trusted Member

Depends of your taste : what do you like ? Straight Va, va/per, burley...?

Topic starter
Trusted Member

I like Vapers a lot. I also seem to like plugs, cakes and things that have been fermented a bit.

Since only a little can legally be brought in from the US Im thinking about 

GL.Pease

Triple Play  (as suggested above)

and 

Jackknife Plug

Im leaning towards taking a gamble an 8 oz can of each rather than a bunch of small tins.  If I find I love it I cant easily replace it.  Its also cheap on the US.  GL is pretty pricey when you can find it in Europe.

Both of those sound good but I dont know how similiar they are to one another.

Pipes Comics
Trusted Member

They're both excellent ! Good choices 

Triple Pay is maybe more subtil.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I’m only going to suggest one, GL Pease Windjammer. It’s a VaPer and you won’t be disappointed with it. 

Ithian
Estimable Member

Some of the C&D blends you can already get in Europe. I love Haunted Bookshop and Bijou. But those two are sold in Europe now.

A C&D blend not available in Europe that's outstanding is Montgomery.

Seattle Pipeclub - Plum Pudding Special Reserve is amazing and definitely recommendable. Mississippi River as well, although I haven't had that one myself (yet).

If you're into aromatics, check out the Country Squire's Middle Earth series. Notably Old Toby and Rivendell are great. Even beyond that their blends are highly praised.

Another great aromatic is Eileen's Dream by CAO.

Then of course there's the whole world of Peter Stokkebye's bulk blends. I'd almost recommend just to get 1-2 ounces of the Luxury Bullseye, Twist and Navy flake. They are highly rated.

Sutliff (Balkan Sobranie Original Match), Boswell's (Northwoods), Newminster (I love the 306) - all their own worlds to explore.

Not to forget, there's Escudo but it's kinda hard to get ahold of lately.

These are just a few tips of outstanding blends you can find in the States.

target="_blank"