Doctor Pipe - Tobac...

Notifications
Clear all

Doctor Pipe - Tobacco Way Ltd. Brazilia

Stah
 Stah
Topic starter
Trusted Member

There are almost no information about this strange brand, and no presence in tobacco reviews. I presumed, it could be useful for someone to drop a couple of lines about it here.

Pure Gold Virginia. This is a monoblend consisting of a single light virginia, with a declared strength of "below average".

Appearance: a fairly wide ribbon cut of light golden virginia, there are rare individual flakes of tobacco. Glycerin and propylene glycol are minimal. Moisture - perfect, a little more and I'd say the tobacco is a little dry. Fermentation - I'd hold more.

Flavor: hay notes in the base without the sweetness of the grasses. But what was pleasantly surprising was that the light virginia smelled quite distinctly of wood and walnut. No additives, flavorings or sauces.

Taste: simple and stable. Hay and sweet grassiness. Not much flavor density, moderate sugar (for a bright Virginia - quite good), I like it sweeter. The acidity, in my opinion, is a bit unbalanced - the tobacco is not biting, but slightly sour, although by the middle of the pipe it passes. In bents, the sweetness is a little bit more, but the flavor is just as stable. The tobacco smokes easily, but requires some attention from a beginner, as it easily overheats and immediately loses the rest of the flavor. Strength - 1.5 out of 5. The ash is dry, dusty, very light.

If we compare it with DTM, this tobacco looks better in terms of mildness. On the downside - weak intensity and density of flavor.

Virginia Blend. Unlike the previous blend, darker varieties were added here, which affected the flavor and strength.

Appearance: The tobacco is cut so-so - there are some flakes, and tobacco is a little dusty. The humidity is perfect, but a little more - and it will dry out. There is practically no glycerin, so you won't be able to store it in a pouche for a long time, despite the ziplock.

Flavor: typical Virginia, no additives - hay, wood, earth, approximately in equal proportions. The bouquet is coarse, almost cigarette-like.

Taste: slightly denser and coarser than its lighter brother. The bouquet is simple, almost cigarette-like, woody and herbal, with a slight touch of nuttiness. Initially there was a hint of bitter chocolate in it, but it quickly disappeared. Excluding this moment, the tobacco does not change in flavor, but the benta has a clear bias towards woody notes. The blend lacks sweetness, in my opinion - a little red virginia would be appropriate. The acidity is also a bit higher, the tobacco should be smoked carefully, smoking slowly - it quickly overheats, starts to nibble. The strength corresponds to the stated two. This blend is more like a cigarette pouch than a pipe tobacco. If we compare it with Amphora, Virginia Blend is obviously darker, with the presence of stoved virginia, and poured with glycerin, here additives are minimal, which favorably distinguishes it. But that's where its virtues end for me, alas. Even a certain amount of perique, which I added for a trial, did not help - the tobacco remained cigarette-like. It would have been saved by adding orientals.

Bottom line - blend is not good enough to keep me interested.

Overall, both blends fulfill their purpose - inexpensive everyday tobaccos that can slightly squeeze the products of Pan Josef Stanislaw brands produced at DTM facilities.

Old Dark Fired. Vabur. Simple and nice vabur.

Appearance: Despite the fact that the recipe specifies only golden virginia and burley, in the bag you can clearly distinguish four different tobaccos - a little light aged virginia, a little more - darker, a lot of burley and something quite dark (Kentucky or still cigar leaf?).

Flavor: very calm, not bright, almost European: dark raisins, walnuts, light cocoa note, a little bit of rye mash. Everything is very balanced.

Taste: quite dense, very mild. Woody and nutty notes in the dominant, they are supported by a little bitter chocolate and earth, a little bit of hay in the background, very little prune. Initially, the tobacco doesn't bite, but it's the least bit uneven. Towards the middle it finally smooths out, the woody nutty notes get a little weaker, the slightly sour notes of unsweetened kvass start to come in. A good dose of nicotine is clearly present here, I smoked from a medium sized pipe, feeling that a larger one would have been too big for me. The tobacco burns a bit fast, burning into a gray dusty ash with no lumps or moisture. The aftertaste is very light, non-persistent, woody-sweet.

The smoke is abundant but not thick, the woody odor lingers in the room for quite a long time.

What's the bottom line? Probably the best in the Brazilian series I've tried so far - for all my bias and sensitivity to burley and Kentucky. Absolutely it is not like Mac Baren, but the quality of the raw materials and blending is great. Brazilians know how to make a berley. There seems to be some Brazilian cover leaf (I won't say exactly what kind, though) - the woody, earthy, nutty notes are very similar.

1693918883-Doctor_Pipe_1-2.jpg
23 Replies
nach0
Noble Member

Thanks for sharing this info.

This line is going to enter in Brazilian market this month so it still not available for us.

I hope it gonna come to stay, we usually see our good tobacco been part of Europeans and U.S.A. blends but here we lack of good brands doing good mixtures.

3 Replies
Stah
 Stah

Trusted Member

Wow. It looks quite strange. However, these blends are not bad, especially ODF. I didn't try all of them (so far, we have eight blends on our market).

nach0

Noble Member

Could you do this review officially in the tobacco search?
I don't wanna bother you but there is people that doesn't interact here in the forum and visit only the tobacco search.

Stah
 Stah

Trusted Member

I'll try, but my previous reviews for the new tobacco were moderated and deleted.

Stah
 Stah
Topic starter
Trusted Member

https://europe.tabaccoway.com/doctor-pipe-tobacco/ - here is the full line of Doctor Pipe blends.

1 Reply
Lager

Estimable Member

Stah, looks like they have a nice line up. It would be great to see your reviews on it as you are a honest reviewer. I have also had trouble posting a new blend on the.old site not sure if it's better on the new site. I would reach out to the admin folks.

Thanks

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

The “Crunchy Blend” has me wondering what that could be about…

1694029858-IMG_5101.jpeg
3 Replies
Stah
 Stah

Trusted Member

Sorry, it is not in our list. I edited my past comment, adding the information for the blends we have.

nach0

Noble Member

The names they chose are quite unusual 🧐 

nach0

Noble Member

The Crunchy Blend mixture is the most balanced of all five Tabacco Way releases. The recipe consists of a blend of Bright Virginias and Brown Virginias with over 5 years of aging, a gentle portion of Burley and Black Cavendish evenly distributed, a hint of Perique, and a subtle touch of the purest and most aromatic Cyprus Latakia. After blending, the recipe is further enhanced with a mild pecan nut topping to make the experience even more interesting. (got it from their label)

Stah
 Stah
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Old Dark Fired

The blend consists of a dark fired burley in good balance
with golden Virginia. The strong, earthy flavor of the dark fiery Burley stands out in the taste, you will enjoy smoking it.

Strength: 2-2.5 on a 5-point scale.

Flavor group: Burley at the core
Cut: Loose cut
Ingredients: Burley, Virginia
Flavoring: not stated

Sunset

Composition includes Virginia, Burley, Black Cavendish and Izmir Oriental. Virginia and Black Cavendish bring a natural sweetness highlighted by almond flavor, while the natural nutty flavor of Burley complements the amaretto. This beautifully balanced tobacco will be a perfect evening companion. Open the jar and taste the tantalizingly sweet aroma of almonds. You can smell the tobacco flavors - the grassy hint of Virginia and the fruity flavor of Cavendish.

Strength: 1.5-2 on a 5-point scale.

Flavor group: Aromatic
Ingredients: Burley, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Oriental.
Flavoring: Amaretto, almond

Pure Gold Virgínia

The blend consists of 100% steam-dried Virginia and has a natural flavor. You will experience the natural sweetness of the best Brazilian tobacco.

Strength: 2 on a 5-point scale.

Flavor group: Pure Virginia
Ingredients: Virginia
Flavoring: not stated

Vanilla Cream

A colorful blend of Virginia and Black Cavendish with a superb Vanilla flavor. This combination creates an outstanding tasting blend with a very distinctive, unique flavor.

Strength: 1-1.5 on a 5-point scale.

Ingredients: Virginia, Black Cavendish
Flavoring: Vanilla

Cherry

A fantastic blend of Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish.
Cavendish. To this blend is added a special cherry
flavor. The combination results in a pleasant and delicately flavored tobacco.

Strength: 1-1.5 on a 5-point scale.

Ingredients: Burley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
Flavoring: Cherry

Midnight blend

This is a sweet blend with a high proportion of full-bodied Black Cavendish, Golden Virginia and Oriental, complemented by notes of peach and cream, which provide a good flavor.

Strength: 2-2.5 on a 5-point scale.

Ingredients: Virginia, Black Cavendish, Oriental
Flavoring: peach, cream.

Virgínia Blend

Bright and elegant blend made of Virginia tobacco, which is specially processed to give a delicate and soft flavor. The blend has a natural flavor and is recommended for beginner pipe smokers and all lovers of Virginia tobacco.

Strength: 2 on a 5-point scale.

Flavor group: Pure Virginia
Ingredients: Virginia
Flavoring: Not stated

Brazilian Blend

The blend is made from selected Burley and Virginia tobaccos, they which can impress any pipe smoker. This is one of the oldest tobaccos from Burley and Virginia, flavored with aromatic notes of marena, nuts and rum.
Enjoy this light and mild tobacco over and over again.

Strength: 1.5-2 on a 5-point scale.

Ingredients: Virginia, Burley
Flavoring: Rum, nuts

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I’d be curious to try a few of them, but they don’t seem to be available in the US. 

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

I feel like this is tobacco made by one of the bigger houses and relabled, but it is hard to say.

2 Replies
Stah
 Stah

Trusted Member

Definitely, not, I assure you. The blends are made of very fresh tobacco - fermentation process for bright virginia, i.e. has not been finished yet. None of 'major houses' could allow this. There are some other issues according blending quality and 'performance' I cannot explain, but I see the difference between this tobacco and 'majors'. When Cornell & Diehl made Maverick series specially for Russian market, these blends were made from cheaper sources and have much more simple blending, but the overall quality was (and still) very good. 

nach0

Noble Member

https://tabaccoway.com   - they are from brazil.... 

nach0
Noble Member

They just reached our market this week, i ordered mine today. I chose the Black Diamond and Old Dark Fire to start... let see =]

1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on them. 

nach0
Noble Member

First of all, i need say how is our situation concerning pipe tobaccos here in Brazil.
We are well known as a good tobacco producers. Good burleys and good virginias came from here but when talking about tobacco mixtures we lack experience manufacturing them after harvest.

This is where the companies here never really tried to understand the market to provide something really good. They offered only generic aromatics which i can say without fear of making mistakes, we used to have only 1 brand of aromatic that was "smokable", and that is it!!

Small batches from amateurs productions were becoming more usual and people here started to produce and manufacture more and more and NOW i can say there a bunch of good national options in the market.

Due to market regulations and strict laws the tobacco "field" wasn't profitable for long and now this company appeared kicking the door and showing that is possible.

I started buying 2 of the 5 possibles mixtures, the Old Dark Fired and Black Diamond blend and now i´ll write down what i got here.

Old Dark Fired - The burleys here are the main players, i don't know where was processed the dark fired but i can affirm this is a excellent mixture, i can see there is more than only dark fired, this mixture has yellow and bright virginias, brown virginias, black cavendish, a pinch of latakia and a huge amount of dark fired burley. 

Once opened the thin, the moisture level is low, ready to pack, but i totally recommend to put it in mason jars or it gonna dry fast. There is no topping here, only pure tobacco flavor.
The body is strong, i would say one step ahead of medium spot. There is good amount of nicotine and after a bowl you will feel satisfied with the vitamin N.
I would give it 3 and half stars in 4. A really good blend that i´ll buy always as possible.

Black Diamond - The main player here is the latakia. The smell once you opened the thin is pure latakia. I spent 3 or 4 sniffs to start feeling any other aroma in it. This is not like pirate kake but i can consider a lat bomb specially for those who are not very used to it. I love latakia so for me that is okey. Like the previous one, this mixture is also in the dry side.
Here we also find bright and brown virginias, but there is a pinch of perique from Louisiana, black cavendish, small amount of dark fired burley and a huge amount of Latakia.

The nicotine level here lays in the same shelf as the Old Dark fired mixture, you won't feel lacking nicotine but there is no chance of nic-hit. I would give here 3 of 4 stars only bc i felt like it was bit too much latakia and at the very beginning and it sublimated the others tobacco in the mixture in the first quarter of the bowl.

i haven't found any problem concerning tongue bite or harsh spot, they also smoked cool and never got my bowl hot even though i tend to smoke fast. They are top quality blend that i'm really surprised of being Brazilian company. Good surprise that i hope it came to stay. 

I´m sure you guys have plenty of good tobacco blends to buy but for us this is kinda new and concerning national market this is far away the BEST option we have. 

1697280273-WhatsApp-Image-2023-10-14-at-065641.jpeg
5 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

The Old Dark Fired sounds very interesting. If you ever find out of anyone selling/shipping to the US, please post the information. I have an illness where I want to try every blend made! I already buy Phebo soap and my favorite Pilāo coffee from Brazil, so hopefully someone will take up shipping the tobacco as well:)

nach0

Noble Member

omg bro, my dad only uses phebo and my mom only drinks Pilão.  hahahaha  for sure i´ll help you if i get any information =]

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Seriously good products! A friend of mine worked as an engineer for Ford years ago and he would have to go to a plant in Brazil for work. He bought me back a bunch of different things and these are two I’ve been using ever since. 

1697315548-IMG_5190.jpeg
Stah
 Stah

Trusted Member

Wish I could have Black Diamond on our market to try. It was strange, but it didn't come with other mixtures.

nach0

Noble Member

What i know is that this house has just started entering in the pipe tobacco field. 

Here in Brazil they have a long story with tobacco but not for pipe smokers.

I believe this knowledge concerning tobacco manufacturing and distributing has allowed them to create this pipe tobacco line with the best source of latakia, perique and black cavendish they could. 

I also believe that soon all their line-up gonna be easy to get as they are making a huge effort to reach foreigners markets. Here you guys can watch, unfortunately only in Portuguese, the event when it was released the tobacco for us in Brazil.

There are a plenty of options they are first releasing in Russia and Europe but hope all of them come to our market too.

target="_blank"