Forums

Cornell & Diehl Sta...

Notifications
Clear all

Cornell & Diehl Star Of The East

Topic starter

I am not sure if this post will show up as a review, but here goes.....

I have smoked McClelland #25 for about 30 yrs.  Recently I purchased a half pound of Cornell & Diehl from smokingpipes.com.  I am totally hooked on this tobacco.  My wife even likes the room aroma from the tobacco-she commented the other night that the tobacco smelled nice.  It supposedly is 50% Latakia, but I question that.  The tobacco reminds me of the old Tinder Box Balkan Blend (I have a pound from the 1980s).  It is very smooth and not harsh on the tongue.  I will be buying more.

4 Replies
BriarBerg

Good stuff—always nice finding a new favorite. If you would like to add to the reviews of Star of the East, you can go to the page (I linked to it) and scroll to where the reviews start. You'll see an "Add a Review" button there. 

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

I just opened a tin of this for the first time. It's definitely a great one, and I agree that the latakia doesn't feel like 50%. Maybe it's being overpowered by the orientals?

Just ordered a tin of the flake and a couple oz of bulk. Are there any big differences? What is recommended……

1 Reply
BriarBerg

Nothing wildly different between bulk and flake, but some subtleties. Flake and ribbon cut tobacco have different smoking properties, such as burnt rate, and pressing can have an effect on the melding of flavor. Also, since the flake has been in a sealed tin, it's had a little time to age. But the differences are marginal, especially if the tin's relatively new. I think your best bet is to enjoy and see if you notice a difference or preference! I'm definitely a fan of flake for its smoking properties, but that's just me. 

target="_blank"