Forums

AS WE TRANSITION INTO OUR NEW WEBSITE EXPERIENCE:

Rest assured your data is safe and saved and will be available very soon.

Please be aware that any missing services will be back in operations over the next few weeks and all of your data has been captured and retained. Once our migration has been completed, all of the features and functionality that you have grown to love on Tobacco Reviews will be fully functional.

Pipe specific light...

Notifications
Clear all

Pipe specific lighters

TJVH
Topic starter

Hi all,

Just a curiosity, I use matches and have been looking at pipe specific lighters.  Those of you that have experience with pipe lighters, like the zippo pipe lighters, do you notice a difference in how your tobacco smokes? Does the fuel effect the flavor?

Thanks

21 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Noble Member

I personally don’t like zippo pipe lighters although I have a few. There is a taste that I pick up on from the lighter fluid. 

I have a number of pipe lighters, but my two favorites are the Kiribi on the left, which I now use instead of my IM Corona Old Boy and my most used lighters, the Clipper pipe lighters, which are very reasonably priced. 

1698352855-IMG_5208.jpeg
4 Replies
 TJVH

Interesting. I just Googled those and looks like they use butane as fuel. Do you find the butane as neutral as a match?

thanks for your reply 

Ted
 Ted

Noble Member

Butane is the cleanest way to light with, no detectable flavor to me. Matches leave a flavor on lighting, which some people like. It depends on the match for me, some brands are pleasant, some give an initial harshness. 

Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Hello, Sir! Just got an Old Boy and love it. I'm curious on your comparison between the Kiribi vs. Old Boy! Why do you grab that one over your Old Boy! Cheers! 

Ted
 Ted

Noble Member

I love my Old Boy. The reason I grab the Kiribi is the way the top flips up. It’s just a more comfortable lighter to use. It seems like that might be a fairly minor thing and I guess it is, but I would get some thumb cramping from the Old Boy that I don’t get from the Kiribi. 

Casey Smith
Estimable Member

I used a zippo with a pipe insert and really liked it... until I got my im corona old boy! Wish I bought one sooner. Its amazing for lighting pipes. 

BriarBerg

As others have said, Old Boy style lighters are great for pipes. I also get a poor taste from Zippos, at least the traditional lighter fuel ones. I believe they make butane ones as well, so maybe those are better as far as imparting taste. 

Also, nothing wrong with a simple Bic. Of course, pipe lighters from companies like Kiribi and IM Corona do look great and they direct the flame to be particularly amenable to the angle of lighting a pipe. 

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Bic lighters have a very well controlled flame. 

Zigmeister67
Prominent Member

I had a butane lighter but in the cold weather or wind it drove me crazy. I use my zippo pipe lighter outdoors and a butane inside. When using a match you need to let the tip burn down before you light up or you taste sulphur.  Zippos do inprt a short flavor of liquid butane. Goes away in a second or so.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I think butane is the cleanest way to light a pipe. My preferred lighter is a Tsubota Pearl Bolbo. A beautiful lighter with perfect control flame control, which is completely useless in a windy day. In a windy day I use a Clipper, which has a very poor flame control but deals nicely with wind, (I´m an outdoor smoker).

As a last resort I always carry a match box with me. Matches transfer unpleasant flavor of phosphorus and sulfur which fortunately lasts a second. The one pictured has been more than a year with me. I hate wanting to smoke and have no way to light my pipe.

1701164008-Unknown.jpeg
1 Reply
Zigmeister67

Prominent Member

If you light the match and then wait 2 seconds, the phosphorus is burned away. You won't get a flavor them.

Trusted Member

These little Sidekicks are good for me and cheap enough to have several laying around the house so I can actually find one!

Its a soft flame, not a jet.

Pipe Lighter SideKick Black Cap Gold

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

1971 Rollagas

1701195132-IMAGE-2023-11-23-223517.jpg
2 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Is your pipe a Small Batch?

Sir Otter

Reputable Member

Yes! It's very nice for the price. 

nach0
Prominent Member

i have a pipe zippo and still prefer a bic or clipper one. 

CLAUDIO

I use a Colibri brand lighter, it works very well, one detail to keep in mind is to use a good gas for recharging

1 Reply
Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

Yes! Good quality butane makes a big difference, in terms of longevity. A more pure product also keeps the nozzle of the lighter cleaner, in my experience.

Joseph
Reputable Member

I have no experience with wick-fed white-gas, so cannot comment on any taste issues there. But, I have never detected any adverse flavor from either butane or wooden matches. The only taste issues I've ever had on charring light were scorched tobacco. And, I'm guessing that's more from poor technique than flame source.

Lee
 Lee
Noble Member

I love my IM Corona! I bought it a couple of weeks after starting the hobby. I decided to go for pewter, as I like the finish. I also went for the one with different pipe styles imprinted on both sides. Is it tacky? Maybe. But, I like it, which is all that matters 😊

1705000803-IMG_1794.jpeg
Joseph
Reputable Member

Oh, and, just in case you didn't already know - Zippos, even their pipe lighters - use wick-fed white gas unless you replace the stock assembly with a butane pipe lighter insert - which I highly recommend, if you go that route. I have an aftermarket "Lightningbird" butane pipe insert in mine which works just as well as my favorite lighter, a Peterson "Irish Harp" (Old Boy style).

To me, the main difference between my $30-ish zippo and my $120-ish oldboy style is in handling, not flame. I'm as unconsciously familiar with my favorite lighter as I am with my toothbrush. I have to think about handling the zippo, but I still do on occasion - for a very practical reason. If I'm carrying a lighter on-the-go, it's the zippo - literally bulletproof, and I have never had it leak on me. I can't say the same for my oldboy-style lighter, which has fiddly bits that can be jostled loose while jangling in a pocket. I've had the knurled screwcap that holds in the flint and it's spring come loose before because of it. Not a showstopper. Just had to carefully reassemble [flint, spring, screw] before use. The flip-cap that covers and holds down the (also spring loaded) jet-post has also been ever-so-slightly lifted while in my pocket. That was a disaster, because all the pressurized butane leaked out and I had no flame when I needed it! 😥 ...didn't even know why until I finally figured it out. (Shirlock would've been proud of me).

I don't use disposable lighters. Don't really like the idea. Give me solid. Permanent. Quality. ...or stick matches. I like stick matches, too.

target="_blank"