Forums

Pipe Bag For Work!

Notifications
Clear all

Pipe Bag For Work!

Casey Smith
Topic starter
Estimable Member

I just got this Skunk bag and had to share. It works really well for a pipe travel bag. I use mine for work. It's small, well made, smell proof, and it holds everything.

It's the Skunk Sidekick made for our brothers puffn that waccy baccy. But, it works for us too. I did pick up 2 Devil Anse pipes that are both 4 inches long (Moonshine).They are amazing and both fit perfectly. I like having the two so, I can rotate them during the day. 

I also picked up 2 PocketJars to hold my baccy. Ziplocks would obviously work too. All of it fits perfectly. Cheers! 

1691712186-photo-output.jpeg
32 Replies
Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

It certainly looks very handy.  But I feel like if I carried it, people would think it was a medicine kit for diabetes, or maybe something else even worse.  I have several luxurious leather pipe pouches. My parents bought them for me when they were alive.  But I never use them.  They normally can hold two pipes, a nice little semi airtight envelope for tobacco, and a separate space for any tools or lighters.  But I just can't do it.  It's too accessorized for me.  Part of my love of piping comes from its simplicity. I tried to keep it as simple as a man might have in the 17 or 1800s.  A pipe in my pocket, and a small container of tobacco.  When it comes to piping I tend to reject everything modern.  Even my choice of tobacco tend to be blends that I envision someone smoking decades or centuries ago.  This is the main reason that I don't like aromatics.  I feel like pipe smoking is my Link to the past. A connection to a time when men smoked pipes because that was how they would " take their tobacco".  So I'm terribly sentimental.  My favorite pipe tamper is an old cut nail from the early 1800s.  I found it in the ashes of my grandparents farmhouse when it burned in 1982.  For lighting my pipes I tend to use wooden matches.  I don't embrace the glitzy and debonair demeanor that so many pipe smokers pursue today, with their bow ties, cabbie hats, and wingtip shoes.  Instead I prefer a rustic and manly image of a pipe smoker. A craftsman, who wears flannel and overalls.  A man who polishes his own well worn leather boots, and never attempts to impress.  I love the opening scene in the movie Englorious bastards.  You have a French farmer sitting in his farmhouse with a Nazi officer. The French farmer gets out a tattered wooden box and retrieves a very plain and old wooden pipe which he loads with tobacco and smokes.  After seeing this, the German officer retrieves his pipe from his inside coat pocket. His pipe is a gourd Calabash.  It looks pompous and ridiculous, compared to the French Farmers pipe that looks very appropriate and natural.  

So yes, I appreciate modern conveniences.  And as I get older, maybe I'll start to carry my pipe stuff around in a more practical manner.   But I never want to appear as an enthusiast.   I'm just a guy who always has a pipe in his mouth, because that's how I take my tobacco.  

10 Replies
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

I totally get all that! I think that's why I started smoking. A link to the past. That's why I'm into my Devil Anse pipes. Rugged little pipes from back in the old west days. I also think that's why I have a beard and shave with an old school straight razor. But, that's a story for a different forum.

I do have some leather pipe rolls but, I found them a little harder to work with, unrolling them at work or in my car. I'm a pharmacist so it's a little tricky to carry my pipe in my pocket but, I sincerely see the appeal to the simplicity of it. 

I can see why you embrace those english baccys too. They definitely have an old world taste to them. Especially the good ones! Cheers!    

Deckard Cain

Trusted Member

There is another accoutrement that take things to a whole other level..... The pipe holster!  These things are even worse. I think the only people that use them are art teachers and college professors.  And people that use them tend to draw their pipe like a gun and use them to point at things.   

Lager

Estimable Member

Hey, I have a pipe holster and I'm about as redneck as you can get.

It's a rather simple leather holder with a home in it that your belt.goes through.

I use it on occasion because the thought of me having a pipe in my pocket breaking sucks.

Anyway, just my two cents and no I am not offended and my feelings aren't hurt. No quiet room needed.

Thanks

Lager

Estimable Member

It should say hole in it not home. 

Jimmyyuma

Estimable Member

Wait a minute! They make a pipe holster? Genius! 🏃‍♂️<---Me running to find one on the Internet. 👍

nach0

Famed Member

I had to google it and i already feel like i should have one 🤣 😎 

Relight

Famed Member

Get 2 and wear them cross draw. 😊 

1716157245-il_600x6005187602664_l6lt.jpg
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

Hey buddy! I was thinking about your post... what pipe do you keep your pocket? I would imagine they are quite the lil smokers. Those Devil Anse I always talk about would be perfect or a dagner poker cob. Maybe that lil cutty cob too 🤷Cheers! 

Lager

Estimable Member

Casey, yeah it's a small stanwell cutty. #228 VARIO.

Thanks

DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

I have to agree here, but mostly because I am chaos. I carry a laptop bag, and so stick tamper, pipe cleaners, lighters, and one of those tiny jars of tobacco with a pipe. Any more thought than that would sort of ruin the lighthearted mood for me.

1692660560-965.jpg
Trusted Member

What works great for me is a leather toiletries bag. It can hold like 3 or 4 small jars, a pouch or two, cleaners, filters, and a lighter. Nothing to unroll. Just unzip it, grab the pipe and tobacco you want, and you're good to go. 

1 Reply
Singed

Eminent Member

Not a bad idea for a short trip. It would repurpose my father's old overnight kit. Too much for my daily use but I will remember this, thank-you!

Eminent Member

Thanks for the tip-might have to grab me one. I have been using a Max Expedition mini pocket organizer and it works pretty good.

1 Reply

Mine is a hazard4 Tonto bag.

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

I have used rice bags to leather rolls. I tend to carry a Greywoodie leather roll now, but enjoy switching it up from time to time.

1 Reply
Casey Smith

Estimable Member

I love leather rolls! I think they fit with my vision of what the hobby is. Old school and manly 🤷 The world needs more of both!

Even writing that I was thinking "I hope that doesn't offend anyone" 😂🤦 Strange days! Love you guys! Cheers! 

Singed
Eminent Member

I'm a horticulturist, so I always have a tool kit. Pipe, my daily ration in a recycled tin with a good seal, pipe tool/ bottle opener, matches, lighter, filters,and cleaners in their own compartment. Safe, clean and dry.

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

I have this little pipe bag. It had my pipe, zippo, tamper and pipe cleaners. I usually ziplock a bag of my daily smoke and stuff it in.

1704750511-IMG20240108164610.jpg
Nick R
Noble Member

A great thing about piping is that there are so many ways to do it. As long as how you choose to pipe brings you enjoyment you are doing it correctly. On the pipes-on-the- go topic, I am on both sides of the aisle. The picture is the sling bag that I take everytime I leave the house- full of day to day necesities, work stuff and my pipe stuff(leather pipe bag with 2 small pipes, tools/cleaners  and a couple small ziplocs of tobacco. In another part of the sling bag I have 2 larger briars in individual bags, 1 corncob and a couple more ziplocs of tobacco.) Overboard?Not for me, I like having all that stuff available. However, that sling bag spends most of its life in the car. When I am out and about, I usually throw 1 small pipe in my pocket along with a bic and use my knife to tamp/scrape. In my 20s I cared about my image and what others thought of me smoking a pipe, how I did it, what I looked like doing it ect... Now in my 40s, I am much better with the realization that I really don't care so much about others perception of myself. I pipe because I enjoy it and I enjoy how I do it. That is good enough for me. Bring a rolling suitcase full, stick a cob on your belt or throw briar in your pocket- all are correct.

1704852379-IMG_5469.jpg
Juan José Pascual Lobo
Famed Member

When I travel I use my Savinelly roll bag. It has a place for everything I need. The microfibre cloths I use to rub the pipe after each smoke, also help to prevent pipes from chafing. It´s very well made. Tobacco travels in small jars. Measures closed are 8"x5"x3".

2 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Famed Member

It has leather leaves to protect content.

1704887840-Unknown.jpeg
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Famed Member

And this is it's inner aspect.

1704887895-Unknown-1.jpeg
nach0
Famed Member

Really useful when travelling, mine can fit 2 pipes and bunch of gadgets in different sized pockets, all compartments closing in zipper.

1705140813-20240113_070924.jpg
Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

I have a simple, Chacom 2-pipe leather case for when I’m out and about. Does what I need it to do.

I also have a Herb Guard case, for when I’m travelling with, errrr, herbs 😉 I also use it for pipes and tobacco, if I’m planning on being away for more than a couple of days. It fits 5 or 6 pipes comfortably. I’m not posting a photo, as it’s currently in my “herb loft” and I can’t be bothered getting it 😄

1705149553-IMG_1802.jpeg
Breihz
Estimable Member

I’m totally minimalist & old school, baccy tin of flake usually, tamper, lighter & pipe of the day. All go in my pockets. If I had a pipe kit bag, then I’d need a bag of some description to put it in, then I’m going to end up lugging that around with me too. I do have a 2 pipe leather pouch bag if I ever have to travel for days or weeks, but that’s just for the travel bag/suitcase. Once I get wherever I’m flying to it’s baccy tin, tamper, lighter & pipe in the pockets again! Each to their own really, whatever suits us all. I like this site/forum it’s very real! 

1710429575-IMG_0917.jpeg
Jimmyyuma
Estimable Member

I bought a $5 toiletries bag from Amazon, cuz I'm cheap and never go anywhere. But it's always outside with me filled with cigars, pipe, two or three tins, and all the other necessities for smoking! 

1710462045-PXL_20240315_001823775.jpg
Relight
Famed Member

I just read this thread. 

Here's my sort of pipe go kit.  If I take  a pipe out and about it's usually to the BM or if I travel. In both cases I'll usually take a small backpack. 

I got this hard sided zip case with some Reks sunglasses and the cool little bee tin with a batch of wooden guitar picks. It holds a couple bowls. 

A lighter, a paper towel and an unpictured pipe nail and I'm set. Stick it in the pack and I'm off. 

1716157540-20240519_161058.jpg
1 Reply
Relight

Famed Member

And quit judging my dirty button 

Templekeeper
Eminent Member

I grabbed this off of Amazon. It's very similar to other commercial ones available (same design, really) only this one is extra -long so that it fits churwardens. Has worked well so far (although I haven't put it through any serious test yet). I pretty much keep it in the car all the time to have something ready to go.

1716573896-PXL_20240519_000820222-EDIT.jpg
2 Replies
nach0

Famed Member

I like this one! There is a name or brand?

Templekeeper

Eminent Member

target="_blank"