Who runs the forums...

Notifications
Clear all

Who runs the forums?

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

In the description and rules it refers to “we”. Who are “we”? It would be nice to put names (and faces?) to the people (or person) running things. Though, I respect their right to anonymity, if revealing themselves is a problem.

23 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I’ve wondered about that too.

nach0
Noble Member

Considering the time this website is working, considering also the niche we are inside, i won't be surprised if the first owner has already passed the business ahead on the other partners hands due to his age or something like that.

I might sound weird now but sometimes the review part of this website seems a bit cematery-ish due to its many "emeritus account". I keep imagine how many of them still alive. Around me i dont know anyone younger than me who smokes pipe and i'm 40 years old now.

So i get myself thinking how much of this website still in the original hands or how much it has changed since it started. I'm new user here but i can see some people have been writiting their reviews for more than 20 years. Who knows who still active?  Who knows how still smoking? Who knows who still among us?

5 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Only in the last few months four people told me it had been a long time since they had seen anyone smoking a pipe.

I rarely smoke on the street and more than once a child asked his father or mother "What is that man doing?".

The fact is that I visit half of the leading tobacco sellers in Spain quite a few times a year and they say pipe tobacco sells well. I purchase no less than 5 tins in each visit.

nach0

Noble Member

Day after day this habit has become more and more private and mostly done away from the eyes of  people. I´m not sure if i have a solid opinion about this fact but seems we are aliens with a never-seen gadget expelling smoke 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Smokers have been demonised over recent years, mainly due to cigarettes. People around me don’t mind me smoking a pipe though - I obviously don’t do it in places where it’s forbidden.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I do not smoke at home because I don´t like smoke in closed spaces. I hate the accumulation of smoke in a closed space. Three minutes away from my house I have incredible beautiful places to smoke with privacy and relaxation. I need privacy and relaxation to enjoy my pipe smoking, this is why I smoke in quiet and almost lone areas.  I don´t care if people see me smoking, I do not hide my honorable habit. I only mind if my smoking can disturb any people.

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Yes, I also smoke outdoors for the same reason. Fortunately, I live in the countryside, so I’m surrounded by nature and can smoke in my garden, peacefully 😊 

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

In the unlikely event someone posts something incendiary, insulting or otherwise offensive - unlikely because pipe smokers tend to be fabulous human beings 😉 - who is responsible for deleting the post and possibly even banning the guilty person?

I feel like we should know.

nach0
Noble Member

I was digging for information when a old topic in another website popped up with this:

"TobaccoReviews.com is owned by Tobacco Media Group (TMG) in Raleigh, NC.

Kretek International, Inc. - Kretek International, Inc. - https://www.kretek.com/press-release/tmg-completes-media-acquisitions-from-tma

Prior to that it was owned by Kretek, an importer / distributor, and they bought along with the former Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine.

The original owner was Jon Tillman. He created it with Sykes Wilford, the founder of SmokingPipes.com. They split off a long time ago."

It seem that people have already asked themselves about the same question we are discussing now.

1 Reply
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Ok, but who is responsible for moderating this forum? I’m more interested in finding out who keeps an eye on things, personally. It may become important to know at some point in the future, who knows?

nach0
Noble Member

Another source, now a 'reddit' discussion, says that the Scandinavian Tobacco Group/Company have been updating the tobaccoreviews.com

2 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Hmmm… they certainly have their tentacles spread far and wide, so it wouldn’t surprise me. But, I’m less interested in who owns TobaccoReviews.com than who moderates this forum (personally). Someone must do it! How else could they enforce the rules that someone has taken the trouble to list on the front page?! 🧐

nach0

Noble Member

let´s find them  hehehe

nach0
Noble Member

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/community/tobacco-reviews-site-updates/how-do-you-request-to-add-a-new-tobacco-to-the-site/?swcfpc=1#post-2836  

Looking to this topic, we can clearly see a user who was kindness answering people there. It´s the same guy who has recently answered all important questions in the "tobacco-reviews-site-updates" section. 

He might know or even be the person in the position we are talking about.

5 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I think you’re right! BriarBerg’s profile states that he is Admin, so he probably moderates the forum too.

Is this correct @BriarBerg ?

(Does anyone know if/how we can tag people?)

1703538383-IMG_1762.jpeg
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Ah! I think using the “@“ symbol worked! 😊

nach0

Noble Member

good to know!

nach0

Noble Member

We hit the bull´s eye now my friend. 

BriarBerg

Hello Lee and all who have inquired! A bit over a year or so ago, Tobacco Reviews was purchased by Sutliff Tobacco Company (STC) Holdings, with whom I'm employed, my largest hat being content writing, but yes moderating here is one of several others. 

I've replaced the Leonard Cohen avatar with my own punim (or the side of it at least) to put a face to the name, which is actually Greg. I don't "run things" per se, but here to help where I can! 

Awfers
Estimable Member

@BriarBerg  I tried to update the Jabuca English Blend (there were some errors), please use the Second edit request I made.

The page in question is https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/11627/tabakfabrik-roth-jabuca-english-blend/

3 Replies
BriarBerg

There's an issue being addressed with the suggestion edit function on existing blends. Please email me with the suggested updates and I'll edit. - [email protected]

Awfers

Estimable Member

Ah, ok. Thanks, I'll go through them again and send you an email.

Do you want the changes listed in the email, or in an attached PDF ?

BriarBerg

you can just list what needs changed in the email. 

target="_blank"