What Cigar Are You ...

Notifications
Clear all

What Cigar Are You Smoking? 2024

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

This is only a slightly off topic subject, especially since the cigar I’m smoking is filled with a tobacco commonly used in a pipe 🙂 But many of us enjoy a cigar occasionally. It seems a place to discuss that could be interesting.

I was feeling like a break from the pipe tonight so I’m smoking a Vincent Manil Mignon. 

1706410289-IMG_5402.jpeg
28 Replies
nach0
Noble Member

i knew that pyramid style cigars Tabac Manil used to make for smoke in pipes. First time seen it. 

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

I’m only going to be smoking Monte Cristo No.2s (and Romeo J Juliet No.2s) for the foreseeable future. I know, it’s a tough life! But, for economic reasons, I bought a box of 25 of the former, and I only smoke a cigar every few weeks. My little humidor looks well-stocked enough that I don’t think I’ll be buying any more until at least the summer.

Still, I’m interested in knowing what cigars I should consider, when the time comes to buy more. I really enjoy a good cigar occasionally, but nowhere near as much as I enjoy pipe tobacco. So, I’m not that knowledgeable about them. I know that I like Monte Cristo No.2, which means I judge other cigars by comparison. For my taste, they should be corona-sized, medium-strength flavour and of good quality. I’m not such a fan of cigars that I’m prepared to experiment and risk wasting money, in an effort to save money. I’d rather pay a bit more and be pretty sure I’m going to get something I enjoy. I have smoked “cheap” cigars that I didn’t enjoy and they work out expensive if you don’t want to smoke them!

2 Replies

Reputable Member

Nice! Unfortunately Cuban cigars aren't available in the United States. As close as we are to Cuba, it's a real shame. We can get Dominican Monte Cristos in the United States, but I'm sure the Cubans are much better.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

I have smoked cigars from all the Caribbean and Central America countries, Philippines, Canary Islands...

And I divide them in two classes:

1,- Havana Cigars

2,- Rest of cigars

Havana cigars have a so distinctive flavor that makes them unique.

Havana cigars have a serious problem with quality control. In a box of 25, you can find no les than one sub  par. The prices of quality Havana Cigars have increased to the point I consider them not worth. And in my opinion they don't provide more pleasure than a good pipe smoke.

New world Cigars have reached a very good level with a great quality control. You can easily get 25 good cigars out of a 25 cigar box.

Nick R
Noble Member

I went through a period of many years in which I gave up the pipe in favor of cigars. I have completely shifted back to pipes and as a whole I enjoy pipe smoking much more than cigars now. I will still grab a cigar upon occasion- usually a social one. I really like the Rocky Patel Java. My wife and I will smoke the CAO flavours with Moontrance being my favorite. I enjoy the CAO pipe tobacco more however. There are still a few cigar lounges in the Denver area where you can order food, drinks and cigars. The classiest is Churchill's inside the historic Brown Palace Hotel.

Reputable Member

I usually go on binges. I'll smoke cigars for 3,4,5 months and then I'll switch back to the pipe for 3,4,5 months. Cigars are less fussy. Pipes have more interesting flavors.

I'm not really brand loyal when it comes to cigars. I prefer full flavor cigars, usually from Nicaragua or Honduras. I go for Corojo, Cameroon, Habano, or Criollo wrappers. I prefer the robusto size. Mostly long fillers, sometimes mixed ie. sandwich, cazadore, or fumas. The only short filler machine mades I buy are the La Auroa Principes, they use to have Cameroon wrappers but I think they're using Sumatra now. They come in corona or palma sizes. Principes are very reasonable usually around $40 for a box of 55. They've been becoming harder and harder to find lately.

On hot summer days I'll smoke Dominican cigars with candela wrappers. They're milder and have a green tea like flavor. I've had really good luck with Real Palma brand candelas. Consistently good construction, good flavor and reasonably priced... 50 cigars for $70 from Thompson Cigars.

What it comes down to is if a cigar meets my preferred profile and it's on sale, I'll buy them. I have a fairly large humidor so it's easy for me to stock up when they're on sale.

Reputable Member

Ooops! that's Palma Real brand for the candelas, not Real Palma...tried to edit it but it didn't workout.

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Wow, that's a tough one. I like so many. Hard to go wrong with the Montes and R&Js Lee mentioned. Love Hoyo de Monterrey but they're getting pricey these days. Rafael Gonzales is one of my favs and highly underrated if you ask me. Get some before they start getting attention. Rocky Patel Edge and Connecticut series are good. So many to choose from.

In terms of Lee's questions I think for anyone it helps to figure out the size you like and the strength first.

I don't like small cigars as they get too hot...and don't last. I prefer robustos and toros, but I'll smoke a corona or whatever comes my way.

My preferred strength is medium to light.

Once you've figured that out just stay in that lane and you'll find plenty.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

After a glorious lunch to celebrate my mother´s in law birthday I´m in the mud for a great Havana cigar.

Sancho Panza Sanchos. It´s a Giant Corona more than 9 inches long.

1708185089-Unknown.jpeg
8 Replies
Nick R

Noble Member

I am jealous! Someday I will have a Cuban.

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Don´t think they will give you more pleasure than a good pipe smoke. Just different, but not better in any way, and much cheaper. This cigar cost me 11,00€ more than ten years ago. One similar now will cost about 55,00€, and in a top brand like Cohiba 250,00€. Don´t worth at all.

Nick R

Noble Member

At that price I would be broke before the week was out. And its Saturday🤣! Still, something to cross off my list at some point.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

What a beautiful cigar!

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Yes, a beautiful one indeed. The grassy aspect, the perfection of the hand made, the harmonious proportions, The silky touch, the aroma of the unlighted cigar, the two and a half hours of slow and pleasure smoke...

ugdabug

Reputable Member

Damn, that's huge!

Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

As huge as the pleasure it gave me.

ugdabug

Reputable Member
Nick R
Noble Member

I was just thinking about cigars. In the CAOs I used to smoke often, Moontrance was my clear favorite. With pipe tobacco, Eileen's Dream and Moontrance are tied- I love both of them. I wonder why the difference...

Breihz
Estimable Member

Currently, I'm enjoying Davidoff cigars which are new to me, I only ever smoked Cuban cigars until I tried the Davidoff Signature No. 2 and Signature 2000 cigars, delicious!

Lager
Estimable Member

When it strikes me these little nasty things. They are pretty good though.

1710361537-17103614749313505634085416558522.jpg
1 Reply
Lager

Estimable Member

$5.21 with tax. 

Nick R
Noble Member

I got a shipment of cigars the other night. Surprising as I didn't order any. Discovered that my 15 year old son ordered them with my wife's credit card among other things..... I was a bit upset and didn't even look to see if they were decent ones. Perhaps I will investigate further and see if they are worth smoking since they are here now.

1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Wow, it can be fun to buy cigars, but doing it that way seems like it would be less so. I hope you find something redeeming in the shipment. 

It's all about enjoying the different flavors and experiences that come with trying out different cigars. Have you found any other cigar blends that you like as much as your favorite pipe tobacco?

ibexpackaging(dot)com

3 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy a cigar as much as I enjoy my favourite pipe tobacco. Cigars are good, but I haven’t found any that are THAT good!

Relight

Prominent Member

Lee, I hear ya. To me they're equally enjoyable but different. 

I love a good stout Nicaraguan cigar as much as a bowl of Stone Haven (I mean if I could get Stone Haven 😂). But they're different experiences. 

One thing I like about the pipe is we set the pace. I've never been much for relighting cigars. But a little DGT (delayed gratification tobacco) is one of the best parts of smoking a pipe, imo. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Yes, they’re different experiences. Not quite apples and oranges, more like apples and pears 😊

Rene12
Honorable Member

I only smoke cigars on occasions when pipe smoking is not convenient like a festival or something like that. Cigar in one hand drink in the other is easier than a pipe. This happens maybe twice a year so I haven't really developed any cigar preferences and I don't expect to do so in the future.

target="_blank"