Forums

What are you readin...

Notifications
Clear all

What are you reading?

Rene12
Topic starter
Honorable Member

I like to relax with a pipe and a good book, they go very well together in my opinion. Wondering what you are reading. I just finished this one.

1713614536-IMG_20240420_140008619.jpg
16 Replies
Relight
Honorable Member

I'm on book 7 oof 8 of Mick Herron's Slough House series. But I cheat. I'm listening to audiobooks. 

Lee
 Lee
Noble Member

I started the Elon Musk biography by Walter Isaacson a couple of months ago, but have been distracted by life events and haven’t picked it up since. I’m hoping to continue when I’ve completed some work projects next week.

Flip
Estimable Member

Great bedside read--sits next to Shelly.

1713800813-IMG_0195.jpeg
pipozzo volante
Estimable Member

On my way to finish Orlando, by Virginia Woolf. 

Beautiful reading and quite a challenge for someone like me, who doesn't speak English as his mothertongue.

It goes very well with smoking a flake straight virginia, a leaf that keeps the mouth and the mind well awake, in my humble opinion.

2 Replies
Rene12

Honorable Member

English isn't my first language either but when it comes to reading I actually prefer it over my own language.

Lee
 Lee

Noble Member

England’s particular history - i.e. being conquered and conquering others - has given the language a rich vocabulary, amongst other things. English is spoken in many different ways across the world and, as language evolves, it incorporates new words and phrases. I think it’s wonderful that so many people can use it to express themselves and understand each other, (notwithstanding the past atrocities it took to get there).

ugdabug
Reputable Member

I agree that pipes and books seem to go nicely together.

I do read the odd novel but I'm usually a non-fiction guy. I read plenty of pre-history, as in evolution, archaeology, paleontology.

I also seem to have a thing for biographies even if it's not someone I generally follow. In the past couple of weeks I've finished 3 of them: Kyle Petty, Billy Connolly and Berry Gordy.

Haven't decided what's next.

Zigmeister67
Noble Member

I'm reading "Poirot and Me" by David Suchett.  I love his interpretation of Hercule Poirot and the British TV series. Actually I am a big Agatha Christie fan. 

1 Reply
ugdabug

Reputable Member

Ya, I've enjoyed Agatha Christie my whole life.

Relight
Honorable Member

I went on a bit of an Agatha bender recently. I hit a few of the biggies. So influential on modern mystery writers. 

Rene12
Topic starter
Honorable Member

I like to switch between fiction and non-fiction. At the moment I'm reading the blind watchmaker by Richard Dawkins.

nach0
Noble Member

I still far from my retirement so everything i read is somewhat related to my work as psychologist.
I´m graduated as lawyer too so there was a point in my life i decided to unite both fields, recently i started working in a court when a judge call me to apply psychological tests in people who is candidates to adopt child, so now i´m reading a book about adoption and parental alienation. Quite boring to start a conversation about it here hehehehe

1 Reply
Relight

Honorable Member

I recall those days. Your reader gets tired. 😂

I'm so so fortunate to be able to retire while I'm still not decrepit (I turn 57 next month) . I burn through audiobooks these days. But all mnd candy mysteries and detective procedurals. Nothing of merit. 

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Just boning up on a few things. 

1714683395-IMG_6224.jpeg
2 Replies
 Flip

Estimable Member

Can you describe the plot?

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Mostly circular, in fact there are so many turns it’s hard to keep up! It’s very “metal”. 😃

target="_blank"