Notifications
Clear all

What Are You Listening To 2024?

Page 1 / 4

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

Listening to music while smoking a pipe is something I get a lot of pleasure from and I’m sure that there are many others on here that do too. I’m going to start posting my picks for smoking to, I hope others join in. 

My pick for this evening is one I think @BriarBerg will like, Leonard Cohen, I’m Your Man. One of my all time favorite albums. 

1710639891-IMG_5775.jpeg
157 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I continued my listening of Leonard Cohen with The Future on CD, while continuing to smoke Watch City Slices. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I smoke outside, so the only possibility is with a portable device. The sound is terrible, but it´s the only possibility. Today I listened to this, and this is my favorite part. 3 minutes of pure listening pleasure.

Nick R
Noble Member

Ah- to have a smoking/listening lounge.... Alas my front porch will have to suffice. Today is Luke Combs.

nach0
Noble Member

I love music so everything that i like is ok when smoking, my preferences now goes around industrial rock, post punk and dark wave. ( https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkYIyPQpLqbce6OpPIhCWGg3w3TW_LfNL&si=v606LH96eb_fuedZ)

I enjoy Classical music like Edvard Grieg, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Enescu, Khachaturian but this is not my field, i only know what people shows me and i save them on my playlist on youtube.

Furthermore, i also like some pop music like The Police, Men at Work, The Silencers, Midnight Oil, Hoodoo Gurus and many other.

2 Replies

Estimable Member

Sounds we hear a similiar sound. I am in old Punk/Pop from the late 70's early 80's and some recently bands in that kind. 

New Order is especially famous in my house. My wife here it almost exclusively. I also like Depeche Mode to give an example of my liking

nach0

Noble Member

If you look further in this topic i recommended a band called She Past Away. I'm sure you will like it. 

Flip
Estimable Member

My Pandora stations that I just leave on shuffle: Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Nina Simone, Sona Jobarteh, Rolling Stones.

Reputable Member

Jackson Dean.

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

Listening on CD

1710736762-IMG_5641.jpeg
3 Replies
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

The group have a funny name. In Spain we had a group called "Toreros Muertos" (Dead Bullfighters). The title of the album is absolutely surreal. Salvador Dalí would love it. It sounds really nice!!!! I like them!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I just listened to a few songs by Toreros Muertos. They seem like a fun band! I like their energy, but unfortunately I only understand about 10% of the lyrics. There is an obscure dark modern rock band in the US from San Francisco called “The Dead Bullfighters” too. 

nach0

Noble Member

I like this one. First time listening to it. Really enjoying it.

BriarBerg

Nice Ted! You know I love my Cohen. 

Also, great thread - looking forward to seeing what tunes y'all have accompanying your smoke

Nick R
Noble Member

Today is not a refined day for me. Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed and Five Finger Death Punch (normally my gym music) accompanied my piping. Nothing so eloquent as a turn table or even a stereo- alas the phone had to do the work on the porch.

4 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

An excellent line up for the gym, but doesn’t it make you want to smoke faster and harder? 😃🤣

Nick R

Noble Member

I have that tendency anyway 😅  I am a bit schizophrenic in my music choices- tonight may well be classical or opera. I just go with what compliments my mood and have given up on trying to make sense of it.

BriarBerg

Woah, giving me flashbacks to Mayhem Fest 2008. 

Nick R

Noble Member

Hahaha! Some of us never truly grow out of it. Not all the way at least😎

Nick R
Noble Member

Tonight is one of my favorite operas- La Boheme.

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

Just got back from a wonderful evening with an old friend that I haven’t seen in a while. I’m settling in with a pipe and Cibo Matto on CD.

1710908865-IMG_5807.jpeg
Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

I bought a few new (old) vinyls from a 2nd hand store over the weekend, so I’ve been listening to them. Last night it was the turn of a classic jazz album, recorded live in 1972. It includes a few names everyone knows (e.g. Ella Fitzgerald) and some names less well known. There are four records and I’ve only listened to one so far. Good stuff, generally. Though, there are a few avantgarde solos that aren’t really my thing. I’m not a fan of repetitive, jarring “wrong” notes being played again and again! 😄

1 Reply
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Jazz at the Santa Monica Civic ‘72.

I didn’t have the album to hand when I posted above. It has 3 records, not 4. I’m currently listening to Ella Fitzgerald and the Count Basie Orchestra. Absolutely fantastic! There’s a reason Ella is still loved around the world.

Also, these records appear unused. They’re as old as me and in much better condition! 😄

1711038784-IMG_1968.jpeg
Nick R
Noble Member

I found a great old book, jewelry and record store in a little town's downtown area. Full of cool stuff.  This shelf caught my eye. I think tonight shall be James Taylor.

1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Great find! That looks like it would be fun to flip through!

Lee
 Lee
Famed Member

The King! Because, why not?!

Another bargain from the 2nd hand store: Elvis Forever; 32 of his greatest hits. The records are in immaculate condition. From 1974! I’m well pleased! 😊

1711043212-IMG_1969.jpeg
1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

You’re getting some fun finds! 

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

White Zombie on CD to start the evening.

1711066679-IMG_5818.jpeg
Nick R
Noble Member

I feel a bit somber today- no particular reason. To compliment that, I have chosen Bon Jovi These Days. A grittier and more melancholy collection than is the norm for one of my favorite hair bands.

1711068543-Screenshot_20240321-184140_Brave.jpg
3 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Great album!

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

I met Jon back in the mid eighties at Seaside Heights NJ. He was just getting popular. His group and mine almost came to blows at the boardwalk. Then we all started doing "whip it's". I don't condone such conduct. But we were young and dumb. We all became friendly after that. Lol

Nick R

Noble Member

Whip its with Jon and Richie!? Now that is a great story!!!

nach0
Noble Member

There is something i would like to share here because i believe it can be enjoyed by everyone. 

It is a compilation of what i believe are around 8 albuns now, my favorite one is the vol 3 -  

You guys can find it on Spotify as well as youtube. Hope it can be a good match for a pipe session for you all.

Ted
 Ted
Topic starter
Famed Member

I guess I’m feeling kind of ’90’s tonight. I’ve moved on to the Toadies on CD. 

1711072977-IMG_5819.jpeg
2 Replies
Nick R

Noble Member

A true 90s classic! Or as my teenager likes to call it "classic rock". 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Yeah, I’ve gotten that one too occasionally. 🙂 I usually would reply that classic rock is early Elvis, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, The Diamonds, etc. Then I would play something for them. I got one kid hooked on 1950’s music that way. 

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Love this album since the first time I listened it in 1989!

No group write lyrics like this anymore. 

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

First time I listened it was when released in 1979!!!, not 1989.

Page 1 / 4

target="_blank"