Do you have blend s...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you have blend strength schedules?

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

I’ve put this in “Off-topic discussions” because I don’t know where else to put it 😊

I’m interested to know how many pipe smokers adhere to the advice that stronger blends should be smoked later in the day.

I understand that logic. A nicotine overdose isn’t pleasant. However, when I’m not working, my first pipe of the day, (usually early afternoon,) is frequently loaded with a strong tobacco - 1792, Bold Kentucky, Irish Flake, etc… etc.. Perhaps it’s because I used to smoke cigarettes that I look for sufficient nicotine to kickstart the rest of the day. I haven’t experienced a nicotine overdose since my first 3 months of pipe smoking, (when my body was getting used to nicotine again, after a 3-year absence).

I also have weird eating habits, in that I only tend to eat between, say, 17.00 and 21.00. I’m not on a diet or anything. I just eat when I’m hungry. Ever since I tried the ketogenic diet, a few years ago, my body has only produced hunger signals late in the afternoon. I have lots of energy throughout the day, too.

So, I have to smoke on an empty stomach, if I want to smoke before about 17.00.

Am I just a weird nicotine junkie, or is anyone else flouting the “rules” in a similar way? 😊

9 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Nicotine strength doesn’t affect my smoking schedule at all, bring it on! As Mae West said, “Too much of a good thing can be wonderful”.

However, strength of flavors can sometimes affect my schedule. I often smoke Virginias that are on the lighter side flavor wise and I’ve found that to truly enjoy their subtleties, I need to smoke them earlier in the day before my senses of taste and smell have become dulled, as they get through the day. Most stronger flavor tobaccos will wipe out my ability to really appreciate them as well, so they come first. 

Joseph
Noble Member

I don't have a set routine, but do factor in strength - both nic and taste, (and after-taste) - when picking a blend. Time of day determines whether I'm pairing with a cup of coffee, seltzer or a wee dram - oh, and, how long I can set aside. So, yeah... now that I think about it, milder strengths and flavors go better for me earlier in the day. But, I have had "Quiet Nights" for breakfast before. 😎 

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

Some good advice above ⬆️

nach0
Famed Member

My life has been too busy last month so i´m only smoking once a day when i wake up.

Like you i was a cigarette smoker so for me i like smoke heavy nicotine blends at morning to give me the nicotine punch i need.

Once again Ted´s words scratched my mind and it make total sense and logic. I´ll start paying attention to what he said from now.

BriarBerg

I agree with others, some factors may lead to a sorta schedule, but it's not exactly this in the morning and that in the evening. If I want to smoke something real heavy, I may take that opportunity after a meal. I like my morning coffee, and I often prefer bolder flavors with that. Then again, my palate may need time after bold flavor to get nuances out of later smokes, so I may put off that bold ones for later in the day, especially if I know I'll be smoking something that I'm writing about that day. A lighter Burley I also like very much with coffee, so that can be a good choice if I'm holding off on bold blends. Basically, what I smoke is sometimes informed by factors outside simple whims, but it's not so calculated. If I'm really in the mood for something particular, I'm gonna pack it! 

Nick R
Noble Member

My tobacco choices mimic my music choices- they are all over the place. If I feel like something in the moment I smoke it. I am a big nicotine fan so that doesn't affect a nic heavy morning smoke.

The factors that do come into play are where I am, who is there and what did I just smoke previously.  

If I am out in public I will only smoke a crowd pleasing aromatic such as Creme Brule, 1Q or the like. This practice has cut down negative smoking comments to a statistical 0 and increased "wow- that smells good! What is that?" Comments.

If certain people are nearby, namely my wife, I will avoid English and Perique blends.

I recently smoked War Horse Green, then a short time later felt like some of my favorite Mithril. It ruined the smoke- I couldn't taste it. I ended up scalding my tongue because I was puffing like a maniac trying to extract the flavor I knew was there somewhere. A strong, robust smoke may dictate avoiding milder smokes after.

But bring on the nicotine anytime🙂

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I don´t think a tobacco should be smoked at a time of the day depending on it´s strength. I think a tobacco should be smoked depending on the mood. 

pipozzo volante
Reputable Member

I tend to decide wich pipe and wich tobacco based on the weather outside, the weather inside my mind and if I have enough time if working.

Thus said I'm a seasonal smoker, so I enjoy balkans, english mixtures and scruffy kentucky during the cold months and more straight Virginia, Virginia-Perique and orientals during the hot days of the year.

One thing is certain: straight virginia in flake is my all day, all seasons, all weather tobacco...

Relight
Noble Member

I align what others have said. 

I usually ramp up. But sometimes a good nic bomb can cut the fog first thing. 

I find I lean toward sweeter blends in the morning. Often just a reliable codger leaning burley is just the ticket. 

target="_blank"