New vinyls, 10 minu...

Notifications
Clear all

New vinyls, 10 minutes, limited cash…

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

If you had about 10 minutes to choose your first vinyls for decades… and hadn’t exactly planned for it…Restarting a collection from scratch…With about £150 to spend. What would you choose?

My answer is below.

And, just to link this to tobacco…

What do you like to listen to occasionally, when enjoying the sacred leaf?

1708306548-IMG_1923.jpeg
19 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

First off, I’ve been collecting music longer than pipes and tobacco and the thought of re-starting my collection is almost too much to think about. However, in the spirit of your question, I picked six essentials that I would have to have. I also broke your rule on price. 

1708309929-IMG_5529.jpeg
6 Replies
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Not a bad choice! I nearly chose Revolver. No worries. I mean, I have the entire collection of The Beatles in hi-def Lossless, somewhere on the cloud 😊 It’ll wait. Same with Bowie and Cohen. I guess I’m collecting vinyls again!

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Thanks! That copy of Revolver is a first UK pressing. It was a gift from a friend who did studio work for a number of bands, including all of the mixing and studio work for Funkadelic. I treasure that LP. 

Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Very nice! Vinyls mean something, don’t they? There’s something a little bit mystical about them, if you ask me. Holding these newly-pressed versions of classics brings back old memories. I can still tune-in to how I felt the first time I bought them. And, playing them… Well, it drop-kicks digital back into the clouds when it comes to sound quality. Analogue is superior, period! 😊 

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I so agree. Aside from the nostalgic aspect which is big for me, I think there’s something really satisfying about physically interacting with the music in a way no other medium provides. One of my stepson’s friends had been buying records, but didn’t have an even basic satisfactory turntable. I hooked him up with a classic Garrard that I wasn’t using and watching him play his records for the first time where he could really hear them properly was really fun. The look on his face was like he was encountering magic. 

ugdabug

Reputable Member

Very cool. We've got two early mono UK pressings by EMI/Parlophone. One of Revolver and one of Please Please Me. Do you know how to tell if they're first or later pressings? I'd love to know.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

The code(s) in the run out were the indicators, once you’ve nailed down the jacket and general LP details. It’s been years since I looked into such things. As I recall it was a bit of work to figure out Beatles records since there were so many pressings, so many records. There was an online resource for it, I can’t remember the name of it at the moment but I’ll try and post it if I can. 

Nick R
Noble Member

A great question- for vinyls (if I still had a turn table) I think I would start with something from The Moody Blues and The Eagles Hotel California. Pink Floyd is a solid choice too! As far a pipe music, I am all over the chart. One night could be Vivaldi or Stravinski. The next could be Breaking Benjamin or Disturbed. Throw in some Zac Brown, Jason Aldean or Luke Combs after that. No pattern, just whatever suits my mood at the moment.

1 Reply
Lee
 Lee

Famed Member

Some classical among your classics 😊

I’m very much the same. Tonight, it was rock night! 🎸 

Lee
 Lee
Topic starter
Famed Member

I should’ve laid them out like Ted. Anyway, they’re:

Prince - Purple Rain ( bought for my wife 😊)

Pink Floyd - The Wall

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Metallica - Black Album

The Stone Roses - (eponymous album)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Did you get them all? 😄

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

I love how a vinyl sounds. I love ancient music (music composed before 1800). There are very few records of ancient music in vinyl, so I use CD because availability.

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Hmmm. Well I'm a musician and a lot of my tastes are not mainstream so you may not know some.

Max Webster - "Universal Juveniles"

Pat Travers - "Black Pearl"

Kansas - "Monolith"

Jean Luc Ponty - "Cosmic Messenger"

Steve Morse - "Coast to Coast"

Greg Howe - "Five"

To smoke to?....Probably something from the jazz realm or something ethereal, neo-classical.

2 Replies
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

Nice selection. I have a few of those. You and my ex wife would get along great musically speaking 😃

ugdabug

Reputable Member

Thx. Really just scratching the surface. 

ugdabug
Reputable Member

Might be a hoot smoking a pipe with something good and pompous on like Yngwie Malmsteen's "Rising Force."

1 Reply
Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I may have smoked a pipe or two to that when it first came out! 😃

Rene12
Prominent Member

I have a fairly large vinyl collection with a lot of Tom Waits, Frank Zappa, Beatles, Neil Young etc. But for the last couple of years I mostly enjoy classical music. Big advantage is you can as much Mozart, Bach, Haydn, Brahms, Beethoven etc. for next to nothing in thrift stores.

1 Reply
Juan José Pascual Lobo

Noble Member

Yes, and they tend to be very good recordings, and in many cases historical ones. I saw in a shop in the North of Spain the all complete Bach works in a 120 CD box for 99€. The credits of directors and performers was first class, all of them well known directors and orchestras.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

If you need a very good record player at a budget price, get an Audio-Technica. 

target="_blank"