Forums

Are there any good ...

Notifications
Clear all

Are there any good easily available beers left?

DeathMetal.org
Topic starter
Estimable Member

I was a Stella Artois drinker, but then it got too sweet, so I switched to Becks and Warsteiner. I like some of the hipster IPAs (don't shoot me) because they are not too sweet, but also go nuts for some sweet dark beers like Negra Modelo. Sometimes I mix them with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to cut down the sugar. Anything I'm missing?

15 Replies
Deckard Cain
Trusted Member

Stella Artois is a solid beer for sure and I usually keep some in my fridge in case I have company over. I also enjoy peroni as it has a very clean finish.  I don't really consider either of these beers overly sweet. Unfortunately I don't subscribe to the IPA thing at all. In my mind it doesn't even qualify as beer.  But I come from Western Pennsylvania where beer drinking is a thing unto itself. I don't mean like the hobby guy that drinks one every night. Around here if you're drinking beer, it means you're drinking a lot of beer.  Playing pool, horseshoes, or darts are just games that you might consider while you are drinking beer.  And because I am a native son, I can't imagine drinking just one beer.  It seems pretentious.  Therefore silly beers like ipas and such are simply impractical when you were looking at a long night of beer drinking.  All in all expensive beers just don't work.  As far as cheaper beers, yeunling is a pretty good choice. It's also America's oldest beer.  And it's not very sweet.

I'm getting old now, and my days of drinking 20 to 30 beers in one night are over.  In fact I don't drink at all anymore.  But I've never been a beer snob. And I have no tolerance for them. I'm like one of those guys in the movies, who can go into a bar and just order a beer.  No particular brand.  Whenever someone asks me what my favorite beer is, I smile and say "yellow beer".  Beer drinkers like beer. 😋🍺

1 Reply
Sir Otter

Reputable Member

Peroni is definitely one of the best commercial light beers. Has nice crispy and hoppy flavour. Most lagers have gotten too sweet (Asahi's new recipe is huge step down), but Peroni sticks with it's Pale Lager heritage. I worry though since Asahi owns them, and they just ruined their flagship beer.

Lager
Estimable Member

I to am past the age of heavy beer drinking. Yeungling lager has always been a favorite of mine. Not sure where your from but it's not a bad beer and has just the right amount of sweetness for me. Beer snobs call it names but hey people smoke prince Albert. Does it make it a bad blend?

To each there own. Do we stay on one tobacco blend forever? No. But we have one or two we fall back to.

Also as of late I've been on a Moosehead lager kick. Good Canadian lager.

Anyway, I hope you find something you like and let us know when you do.

Lager

1 Reply
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

I smoke and enjoy "Prince Albert"! I have never been a beer snob, but most of the big brands just seem kind of mediocre and not worth drinking. That's the quest, I suppose, to find something that is widely available and good.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

I used to passionately love and drink Newcastle, until some time ago now, the company was sold and production moved to a new factory and the recipe changed. Seems like a pipe tobacco analogy is in there. 

I don’t drink beer very often anymore, mostly bourbon or wine now but I do occasionally enjoy one you mentioned, Modelo Negra, as well as Guinness Extra Stout and Chimay Red, which has always been a favorite of mine. I kind of gave up on so many newer beers since the trend seems to be to over hop them. 

4 Replies
Sir Otter

Reputable Member

Seems to be a recurring pattern with good products. Brewdog used to be some of my favorite beers, but now they are just mediocre and still demanding a premium price. There are the rare occasions where products improve though. Southern Comfort's new recipe is much better than the syrupy old one.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

You’ve got me curious, I haven’t drank Southern Comfort a long time. I didn’t know it had changed. 

Sir Otter

Reputable Member

Definitely deserves a try! I think they changed the formula about 5 years ago.

DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

I noticed the same thing about Newcastle. Used to be a really great beer.

Bailey
Eminent Member

I'm a big fan of a lot of Texas microbrewery beers. St. Arnolds in Houston is one of my favorites. Their seasonal Octoberfest is good if you like sweet and malty. H-town pils is good but mostly available in the Houston area. Amber is good as well, medium body with a bit of malty flavor but not too sweet. Art car is a solid IPA. 

Austin Beer Works (Austin) is another good one. Pearl Snap is a pilsner with a toasty malt note. Fire Eagle is a really good IPA while Blood Work Orange is another with added blood orange flavor. 

Hope this gives some new things to try. 

1 Reply
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

I will check out the pils. I was not blown away by some of their more recent offerings, but I remember getting their beer on draught when they had a little pub attached to the brewery. It was pretty tasty then, something medium dark.

CRASHtheGREY
Reputable Member

So many I do not know where to start.

Sir Otter
Reputable Member

I live in Hungary, so there are 3 major commercial brands (Dreher, Soproni, and Borsodi) here alongside the usual suspects from Czechia, Germany, etc. Dreher recently removed corn from their formula, and it tastes damn good now. They make an IPA that is cheap (about 1 EUR) and tastes better than at least half of these expensive craft beers. Dreher IPA is my go to now, but it seems to sell out quick!

I generally avoid lagers, because I hate sweet flavours. But I find myself reaching sometimes for a Peroni or a Corona (and put a dash of Tajin inside my glass).

I really enjoy the craft IPAs in Europe compared to the States. I suspect they would be labelled as a Pale Ale in the States instead of IPA, because they are not nearly hoppy enough by US standards.

The beers I crave the most are the regional Pale Ales from the UK from my time living there. Most of them are impossible to find especially post-Brexit, but occasionally some great UK beers show up in my local craft beer shop. I pay the high price for them to satisfy my palette and my nostalgia.

2 Replies
DeathMetal.org

Estimable Member

Someday, I would like to go on a UK pub tour for some of the local beers, maybe stop off in the Lakeland region to visit the Gawith Hoggarth factory. Bet that's a trip.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

I lived in England for most of 1991. I was partaking in the beer/ale/stout available quite freely :). Good times. 

target="_blank"