Forums

Which Virginia Blen...

Notifications
Clear all

Which Virginia Blend Is similar to Amphora Virginia?

Topic starter
Eminent Member

Hello Friends.I posted this Here being quite new to Pipe Smoking. Please feel free to change topics place if I am in the wrong section.

I am searching a Virginia blend like Amphora, with the same Virginia's if possible because I can't find Amphora here where I live.

Which would be a substitute for this tobacco mixture?

Thanks in advance for helping.

14 Replies
Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! Virginias are my primary choice in tobacco and I have tried a lot of them, but not the Amphora Virginia. In fact I just decided to order a pouch this week to try it. Based on the Virginias they say are in it and what others have told me, it is in the ballpark of:

Mac Baren Virginia No. 1

Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia Flake

Orlik Golden Sliced 

Capstan Gold and the fuller flavor Blue

Presbyterian Ordained among many others. They are all very good to great and would be worth a try. 

Where are you located that you can’t get the Amphora?

3 Replies

Eminent Member

Thank you for your answer Ted. I live in Brazil and had only one pouch of Amphora.

I have already HH Pure Virginia, very good I would say but it has darker variants of Virginia's inside. Correct me if I am wrong.

I wonder if there is any other brand that has a mixture of the same types as Amphora, maybe not the same percentages but similar.

nach0

Noble Member

Hey bro, do you know Matheus from Cachimbaria, Edu from Cachimbos Fumegantes and Luis Graciano from Fornilho.com ??

You can ask them the blends you are in need and they will import it from abroad to you. Try to talk with one of them and you will be surprised how nice they are and before you imagine your tobacco gonna be ready for purchase in their website. 

Eminent Member

Hello @nach0 thank you for your reply and happy to meet you here.

I know the names you told me, especially Matheus that i had the pleasure to speak to. They are all nice guy's that help a lot.

Ted
 Ted
Famed Member

There is another member on here regularly in Brazil and a he’s a great guy! @nach0. He may be a help to you with this. 

Out of the ones I mentioned, the lighter Virginias are Mac Baren Virginia No. 1, Capstan Gold and Orlik Golden Sliced. All have their own particular twists but are bright Virginias, HH Pure Virginia has some darker leaf in it.

nach0 had mentioned that Doctor Pipe is available in Brazil, have you tried their Pure Gold Virginia? I have not smoked it but it sounds like it should be similar. 

3 Replies

Eminent Member

Thanks man.

Capstan seems to be interesting, both of them.

I will have a look at Doctor Pipe too and share my experience with it here.

Ted
 Ted

Famed Member

The Capstan Blue is quite close to the HH Pure Virginia by the way. I like both of them but I especially like the lighter Capstan Gold. I’m curious to hear your search works out for you!

Eminent Member

Ok, then I will opt first for the Yellow one.

I saw some Doctor Pipe but no Virginia until now. I must search a little more.

Maybe @nach0 could help me too.

Thanks a lot.

nach0
Noble Member

First of all, welcome here mate. Nice to have a fellow countryman to share information and experience!!

Secondly, of course i can help with the little i know.

The Tabaco Way which are producing the line Doctor Pipe also have a kind of entry line (i believe is only for Brazilian market) called Tabacos D´ora, and their pure Virginia is sold under this brand. You should search for D´Ora Pure Golden Virginia. The thin is huge and you can smoke like a machine without the fear of seen the bottom of the tin. The price is really good but i never tried this one before.
From this line i had once a tin of D´Ora Gold and D´Ora Royal. Both carry toppings but no casing. Which make them really smelly bc of the topping but the taste is PURE tobacco. It worth to have a try, all line is cheap and good quality tobacco.

The line called Doctor Pipe is the exportation quality. The tins are small (50g) and the mixtures are way more complex. They have a pure virginia but not for us, only for exportation. For us they are selling 5 different blends, you can find all of them on cachimbaria.com ... i tried the Old Dark Fired and Black Diamond. Both are in the same level of the well known international tobacco companies.

Going back to your main question, I´d recommend you Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Peterson Flake as pure virginias and blockade runner as aromatic one, this one is cased with rum and become my favorite virginia. I have a sealed tin of HH Pure Virginia waiting in the queue line to be opened.

I also recommend you to check the Brazilian blends that Luis Graciano is making at Fornilho.com under the name of Tabaconista and TabacosBR. You will find a really good brands he is making, good price and excellent quality.

I don´t know if i covered all topic i should but please ask here everything you need and not only me but also everyone will be happy to help.

3 Replies

Eminent Member

Thanks again my friend. I will look for D'Ora for sure. 

The other tins you mentioned are very interesting too and will have a look for Luis G. Mixtures.

Pleasure to meet tou here too. 

nach0

Noble Member

There´s a new line on fornilhos.com called Bazanelli(an association between Luis and Mauro pipe maker) that i´m thinking maybe get the VaBur. The price is really good and considering the usual quality i´m sure it worth to try.

Eminent Member

I saw them on the website. Will consider them too. Thank you.

Juan José Pascual Lobo
Noble Member

Welcome from Spain!. You are in a great place. Nach0, your compatriot is a great guy and will help you for sure!.

1 Reply

Eminent Member

Thank you Juan for the welcome.

target="_blank"