Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Gurgling Pipe

Zigmeister67
Topic starter
Noble Member

I have a couple of questions maybe someone can help with.

I tend to smoke pretty dry. Yet I have 2 Savinelli estate pipes that tend to gurgle. I had to reem both these pipes when I purchased them. I have one of those reemers with the changeable tips. They don't seem any different looking inside to any of my other pipes.

Could it just be the way the pipes are made or maybe my reeming was not deep enough. Any thoughts?

6 Replies
Joseph
Prominent Member

Did you change the shape of the chamber when you reamed them? If you made them draft differently, that could affect how and where moisture settles - especially if you dropped the bottom of the chamber below the draft hole. Only a wild guess. Others might have better ideas.

5 Replies
Zigmeister67

Noble Member

It seems to be right in line with the draft hole. I'm going to try to get a picture inside the bowl tomorrow.

Lager

Estimable Member

It is definitely moisture build up as the smoke is filled with it. If your sure your tobacco is dry enough I would look elsewhere. Most of the Savinellis take a 6mm balsa filter. I have many of them but do not use them. They make an adapter to take the place of the balsa filter which takes up that extra space. Somewhere you are collecting moisture and it could be the open space or the stem not allowing a smooth flow. Once and awhile I have a pipe do this and I just run a cleaner through it and it's done. Don't know if this helps. Good luck.

Joseph

Prominent Member

No pic necessary. Seems you didn’t ream out any briar, just tar, so you’re good on that score. 🤠👍

Zigmeister67

Noble Member

I'm going to try to pack them a bit looser. I might be over packing.  Lol I'm lazy and often put in as much as possible.  

Joseph

Prominent Member

Sounds like a good plan. In the "For What It's Worth" department: For my Savinelli 316KS, which doesn't gurgle, but sometimes draws juice to the bit, I just run a pipe cleaner mid-smoke like @Lager recommends above. Another trick, (I've read about, but not tried), is to put a tiny bit of a dry bright straight Virginia at the bottom of the bowl to act as a dottle sponge for wetter blends. Might also be worth a try. Let us know what finally works for ya.

target="_blank"